PDA

View Full Version : How do you unload?

Frank D.
03-13-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't think this is addressed often, maybe because its obvious, but how do you guys do it?

I've always been taught to point in a safe direction (into a sand-barrel, preferably), dump the mag, rack the slide and watch the round hit the deck. Then check for clear.

I guess the other common variation is dumping the mag, then racking the slide with your palm over the ejection-port, capturing the round. Or racking in a fashion that results in the round flying out, then catching it.

Comments, thoughts?

Kyle Reese
03-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Safe Direction

Drop Mag

Rack slide & allow chambered round to eject

I have in the past racked the slide with my support hand over the ejection port to catch the round, but that is a bad idea.

It's possible that during this process that the primer could come into contact with the ejector, resulting in an unplanned loud noise and unpleasant sensation in the support hand.

Trying to catch the ejected cartridge in mid air is pure showmanship, and IMHO not advised.

Just my 2 kopeks.

Frank D.
03-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Echos my thoughts.

YVK
03-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Into a berm, till slidelock:cool:

jar
03-13-2011, 01:48 PM
I let the round hit the ground. At one of the IDPA clubs I shoot it, there's a rule that all rounds hit the ground. Covering the ejection port is dangerous for the reason explained above, and catching in midair can lead to less than perfect muzzle awareness.

BigT
03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
I eject slowly into my hand. It may sound stupid but carry ammo is so hard to come buy here I don't want to damage a round any more than necessary.

DrDave
03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
I eject slowly into my hand. It may sound stupid but carry ammo is so hard to come buy here I don't want to damage a round any more than necessary.

Same logic here. On the range I eject onto the ground

dookie1481
03-13-2011, 09:33 PM
I cover the ejection port to catch the round, but when doing so I lock the slide to the rear.

Jay

vecdran
03-13-2011, 11:07 PM
I create a cup for the round with my hand for it to fall into while racking and locking it. I can understand the ejector boom if you are catching it too soon, but the way I do it, the round has completely left the gun before it even hits my hand.

JFK
03-14-2011, 07:57 AM
-Drop the mag

-Rack, rack, rack

-Lock the slide back

-Visual chamber check

-Physical chamber check

I let the round hit the ground. I see no need to try and catch it or take attention away from what I should be focused on.

VolGrad
03-14-2011, 08:43 AM
-Drop the mag
-Rack, rack, rack
-Lock the slide back
-Visual chamber check
-Physical chamber check

I let the round hit the ground. I see no need to try and catch it or take attention away from what I should be focused on.

THIS.

Never cover the ejection port to catch the round. We've all probably done it at some point but it's a BAAAAAAD idea. Even if you eject the round slowly and lock the slide to the rear there is the off chance you could accidentally let the slide go or it could slip from your grip and slam the round in the ejection port causing a BANG. I saw a picture once of someone who did this and blew a nasty hole in his hand.

Bill Lance
03-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Safe direction, trigger finger high and straight, and lock the slide to the rear. Remove magazine. Visual and tactile chamber check.
In one step, the gun is "out-of-action" to guard against the brain-dead syndrome---i.e. Mr. DEA man..

Dropkick
03-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Open cylinder
Press ejector
Let rounds fall onto soft surface
Visually check all chambers
Verify number of loose rounds = number of chambers
Visually check chambers again
Close cylinder

;)
Yeah, I just had to be different.

jetfire
03-14-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm one of the "catch the round in the air" guys, actually. The big fault of this approach is that people who haven't practiced doing it don't know when to just let the round go. Sometimes you botch the catch, and a newbie may try and grab it when they should really let it go.

If you want to show off and do the round catch, I practiced it in dry fire. Not intentionally, I just got tired of picking up my snap caps off the ground when I changed drills, so in the process of practicing, I learned how to be a big ol' showoff.

Besides, a little flash is fun.

Frank D.
03-14-2011, 11:13 AM
I might derail my own thread here, I think the original topic is probably a little to simple too start any real discussion - what about reholstering?

I always bring the gun in to a high-ready, check my ass, deal with safeties (if applicable), exhale and put my thumb on the hammer, then look down and get a visual confirmation that my finger is indeed off the trigger.

I like having a cue (exhaling), tactile and visual feedback with something so simple. It is very easy to get complacent.

It might be excessive, but I had a cousin who put a round into the ground about a half-inch away from his foot, in my 'formative' years of shooting. Pretty much scared me straight.

VolGrad
03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I might derail my own thread here, I think the original topic is probably a little to simple too start any real discussion - what about reholstering?

I always bring the gun in to a high-ready, check my ass, deal with safeties (if applicable), exhale and put my thumb on the hammer, then look down and get a visual confirmation that my finger is indeed off the trigger.

I like having a cue (exhaling), tactile and visual feedback with something so simple. It is very easy to get complacent.
In the AFHF class Todd called this concept a "hard break", always stopping before re-holstering to make sure you don't do anything unsafe ... especially if you are in a rush.

ToddG
03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
The "hard break" actually originated decades ago at Gunsite after a number of students shot themselves while reholstering. I actually re-learned it from Tom Givens and SLG.

Cowtown44
03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Into a berm, till slidelock:cool:

Well played, YVK.

Frank D.
03-14-2011, 12:29 PM
In the AFHF class Todd called this concept a "hard break", always stopping before re-holstering to make sure you don't do anything unsafe ... especially if you are in a rush.

The "hard break" actually originated decades ago at Gunsite after a number of students shot themselves while reholstering. I actually re-learned it from Tom Givens and SLG.

Obviously a case of Great minds think alike...small minds seldom differ :D.

In anycase, I like the concept - would you mind sharing your procedure, even though I think its posted somewhere in the AIWB thread?

VolGrad
03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
In anycase, I like the concept - would you mind sharing your procedure, even though I think its posted somewhere in the AIWB thread?
I realize you were asking Todd and not me but I'll respond anyway.

The "hard break" as I understand it is simply any act that stops your direct route to the holster after engaging.

For most a visual scan of your surroundings (searching for add'l threats) while at a ready or retention position is enough of a "hard break" to do the job. Most of us do (or should) be doing this already.

EDIT: Timely topic found here .... guy went BANG while trying to unload with his hand over ejection port.
http://www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391

Odin Bravo One
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
I just let the round hit the ground when unloading. Sure, I may not ever have an issue during 1 Million un-loading sequences.......but it only takes one "Oh shit" to forever change the course of your life. Especially as it pertains to handling negligence.

As for the re-holstering part, to my knowledge, no one has ever won a gunfight with the ability to re-holster quickly.