PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Back Up Camera??

BN
09-15-2019, 07:16 PM
We recently bought a used pickup truck and the backup camera is cloudy. What are the PF ideas to fix it? I checked YouTube, but didn't find any great results.

2012 Toyota Tundra for those of you who want to know. ;) That makes 3 Toyota's and 1 Subaru in the fleet. :)

Darth_Uno
09-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Wipe it off? My wife's 4Runner gets fuzzy in the winter with all the road crap. Quick swipe and we're back in business.

If you've already tried that, it's probably not any electronic issue, it's likely still the lens one way or another. I've run into this with home security systems. The solution is to replace it. Now if you're out of warranty on a vehicle I have no idea what that'll cost, but it's very unlikely the wires are sending fuzzy images. They're just showing what the lens is transmitting.

Greg
09-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Buff the lens with some toothpaste to see if that helps.

You might need to apply a wax for UV protection afterwards.

JM Campbell
09-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Buff the lens with some toothpaste to see if that helps.

You might need to apply a wax for UV protection afterwards.

This and also check the setting on the camera. Previous owner might have set it all wonky.

FYI if replacement is needed it would be available at the dealer or a online parts house that deals oem parts. There should be a connection at the tailgate, usually on the passenger side, it would be replaced from there to the camera. That connection is also where you would disconnect electronics to remove the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txdpd
09-16-2019, 12:29 PM
First thing I’d check is to make sure there isn’t a protective film on the camera, that didn’t get removed during dealer prep.

If toothpaste doesn’t work try some kind of solvent (or automotive polish on a glass lens) in case it’s wax buildup and then vinegar in case it’s mineral deposits. Probably a long shot on either of those working.

If the lens looks clean, there’s a very good chance it’s water in the camera and it’ll need to be replaced.

RJ
09-16-2019, 03:50 PM
If the lens looks clean, there’s a very good chance it’s water in the camera and it’ll need to be replaced.

I was going to mention, if it was water, couple things worth trying would be:

1) If the design allows, drill a couple very small holes carefully in the lower part of the housing (again, only if it makes sense to do so.)

2) Try warming up the camera with a hair dryer to speed evaporation.

BN
09-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the tips. This is a used 2012 Tundra with 120,000 miles on it. A replacement camera is $478.31. :(

The lens looks cloudy so I'll probably start with the toothpaste trick. If none of the tricks work, we'll probably just use the provided rear view mirrors. ;)

BehindBlueI's
09-16-2019, 07:16 PM
I am working with the assumption the lens is the same as headlight lenses. If that is incorrect, disregard.

After you toothpaste it, there's a spray called "Plexus" that is marketed for motorcycle helmet visors. I used it with the pre-LED light bars on my issued cars as well as helmets. Use whatever you normally use to restore the brightness (I used one of those headlight restoration kits) then Plexus it. Plexus will not only brighten it up a bit more but also keeps it from oxidizing again so quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic-Cleaner-Protectant-13-Ounce/dp/B00092CKN4