PDA

View Full Version : Watch Repair

Crazy Dane
09-13-2019, 04:51 PM
People, my favorite watch needs service/repair and I cant find anyone local that will work on it. While it has never been real accurate but close enough for me, it has just started to lose minutes a day. Its a Seiko 5 J model https://www.amazon.com/SEIKO-Seiko-Automatic-SNZG09J1-imports/dp/B003T9UBPI. The Authorized Seiko repair center wants $118 plus shipping to fix it. A new J model is running $170ish and a non J is $115 It runs a 7s36 caliber if that helps my find some one that can service it. Thanks

blues
09-13-2019, 04:55 PM
People, my favorite watch needs service/repair and I cant find anyone local that will work on it. While it has never been real accurate but close enough for me, it has just started to lose minutes a day. Its a Seiko 5 J model https://www.amazon.com/SEIKO-Seiko-Automatic-SNZG09J1-imports/dp/B003T9UBPI. The Authorized Seiko repair center wants $118 plus shipping to fix it. A new J model is running $170ish and a non J is $115 It runs a 7s36 caliber if that helps my find some one that can service it. Thanks

I feel your pain, F. My Omega needs a servicing and they want something on the order of $500 to do that. I told my wife I unplugged the watch winder and will wind the sucker for the couple hours I wear it every now and again. (It's 16 years old and never had a service. I just have issues with paying close to half what I paid for the watch to get it done.)

In your case, if those are the only options, I'd bite the bullet and buy a new one.

JSGlock34
09-13-2019, 04:55 PM
I'd try using the Lepsi app to determine if your watch has been magnetized, which is an increasingly common condition.

If so, cheap demagnetizers are available from Amazon.

Jim Watson
09-13-2019, 04:58 PM
I sent my Omega to Mark Siriani, based on a post here. He did good work on it.
Probably not worth it for a hundred dollar watch.
https://www.watchdoctor.biz

mtnbkr
09-13-2019, 05:00 PM

I replaced the movement of a similar Seiko 5 (originally same movement as yours). The movement and related tools cost well under $100. Setting the hands is a bit tedious (cheap 6x readers helped), as was cutting the new stem, but the result was a watch that not only loses only a minute every two weeks, but offers hand-winding and hacking, unlike the original.

Chris

blues
09-13-2019, 06:04 PM
I sent my Omega to Mark Siriani, based on a post here. He did good work on it.
Probably not worth it for a hundred dollar watch.
https://www.watchdoctor.biz

I had come across this gentleman a few weeks ago online when I was searching for alternatives to paying Omega's steep price.

I just sent him an email based upon your confirmation of his good work.

We'll see where it goes.

Thanks for the info.

Totem Polar
09-13-2019, 06:43 PM
One option that I know to be good: send an inquiry to Terry at https://www.toxicnatos.com/

He’s a solid dude (and a vet). Tell him that Sidhe from DWC sent you. His repair guy rules on Seikos, and has rebuilt some pretty messed up Rolex and Omega tragedies. Goos stuff.

eb07
09-13-2019, 06:47 PM
I only use D's Time Service in San Diego. Tom knows his stuff, is honest and fair.

blues
09-14-2019, 11:20 AM
Jim Watson

Thanks again for the mention of Mark Sirianni. After reading your experience and a couple other comments here in the forums, I sent him my Seamaster Professional today. (The reviews on google are strong as well.)

Erik
09-14-2019, 11:23 AM
Please update when you get it back, if you think of it. I'm in the same boat with mine.

blues
09-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Please update when you get it back, if you think of it. I'm in the same boat with mine.

Will do. Hopefully, FES313 can find a solution to his issue. I live in the same area as he does and we don't have a lot of options locally.

SD
09-14-2019, 11:38 AM
Blues will you be have a full spa treatment done or just movement work?
Jim Watson

Thanks again for the mention of Mark Sirianni. After reading your experience and a couple other comments here in the forums, I sent him my Seamaster Professional today. (The reviews on google are strong as well.)

blues
09-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Blues will you be have a full spa treatment done or just movement work?

I don't think it requires much as regards the bracelet and case. It's pretty clean and I'm sure he'll see that it's been well cared for (except for ignoring the periodic maintenance).

I'm guessing it needs an internal cleaning and lube more than anything else unless he finds otherwise.

He's supposed to reach out to me after he gets it in his possession and opens it up.

Shumba
09-14-2019, 02:26 PM
I highly recommend Leo Ruffinengo at Official Time Watch in Salt Lake City.
If you have a Rolex or Omega that has not been serviced since purchase the lubrications will dry and the gaskets will fail.Look at the replacement cost of your timepiece, put a crowbar in your wallet and spend the money.
Leo will completely disassemble the watch, clean and replace any parts that need it. Then reassemble and check for accuracy and water resistance. He has a good stock of Omega and Rolex parts.
He apprenticed at Rolex in Switzerland and his prices are hundreds less than the factory.
My Seamaster professional chronometer looks brand new and it will go back to him when necessary.
HTH,
Shumba

blues
09-14-2019, 02:30 PM
I was just looking at what my Seamaster has been selling for pre-owned online and it's over double what I paid for it. Guess I better keep it in good repair going forward.

Shumba
09-14-2019, 02:48 PM
I was just looking at what my Seamaster has been selling for pre-owned online and it's over double what I paid for it. Guess I better keep it in good repair going forward.

:cool:

Hambo
09-14-2019, 03:53 PM

I looked at what Omega wanted for service and got weak in the knees. Then I looked at what my Speedy would go for. Even if I let Omega bend me over, I'm still in the watch for less than half of what it's worth. That said, I'll probably send it to the watchdoctor if you're happy with his work.

vcdgrips
09-14-2019, 06:48 PM
I apologize in advance for the long post that I am dictating. I have experience with Mark and the mothership at Omega.
I came across Mark 10 or 12 years ago. At my recommendation, one of my best friends sent him a Rolex GMT another an an Omega Seamaster. Both were done very well, promptly and at 30 to 50% of what the factory wanted for their respect tune ups.

I Purchased a 50th anniversary Omega GMT in 2009. About four years into it, it needed to be serviced as it was no longer holding time well. The ETA based pre co axial movement is typically serviced every 3 to 5 years. Mark did it for me promptly and well. The price was under $250 with shipping if IIRC. We repeated the process in 2016. We repeated the process again in 2018. It did not go particularly well.In the end, Mark got could not get the watch the hold time and suggested I send it to Omega.

I contacted Omega in late June. They sent me a Box and FedEx 2day label. I sent the Watch and knowing that a full service/reconditioning was going to be approximately $550 plus return shipping. When they received the watch,they did a full diagnosis, sent me an email with their findings, got payment/ authorization and fixed the watch in about 6 1/2 weeks after quoting an eight week timeframe. Omega Replaced a number of parts and performed a complete overhaul/ lube/oil/adjust to include polishing the case, bracelet and perhaps even the Crystal. The watch looks brand new. The factory guarantees at service for two years.

Re paying for a Seiko service. I suspecSriko has a couple of hours in the watch from beginning to end on an individual service basis. If they’re paying their technician $25 an hour that’s $50. A few dollars in parts plus profit. It Doesn’t strike me as being unreasonable to charge $118 to fix that watch given it’s now a onesie as opposed to something being made on the factory floor and that economy of scale.

FWIW/YMMV

PS-If you’re contemplating having Mark fix a Speedy, I do not believe he chooses to fix chronographs. Moreover,the chronograph repair rate for a speedy at Omega is 750+ shipping I believe.

Simong
09-14-2019, 10:11 PM
@Jim Watson (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=4035)

If you don't mind to let us/me know your experience, I might send him my GMT Seamaster as well.

T.I.A

Simong.

Exiledviking
09-14-2019, 11:34 PM
My 2 month old Seiko SRPB53 Samurai is losing about 10 seconds every 24 hours.
Should I have Seiko look at it or leave it as is? I've read conflicting advice online.
I did contact Seiko USA and they said to send it in along with the original warranty card. I really like watch other than that.

What do you all think I should do?

ETA. Worthless with pic. lolhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190915/c739a73438f88a0b3d98322b1eb51a35.jpg

Totem Polar
09-15-2019, 12:05 AM
Send it in. That movement can be regulated tighter than that.

mtnbkr
09-15-2019, 05:58 AM
Send it in. That movement can be regulated tighter than that.

Yup. Even though 10sec/day is within spec, it can get better. My home-assembled watch referenced above is

My NH35 movement (Seiko's 4r35 movement for non-Seiko watch makers) is currently running about -3sec/day out of the box, which is just insane for a $40 ebay movement. I regulated my old Orange Monster 7s26 movement to less than 10 seconds without sending it in. It's not hard. With smartphone-based watch timing apps, it's even easier now.

Chris

SD
09-15-2019, 07:42 AM
A 4R35 movement that is within 10 seconds a day, leave it be. If you desire greater time keeping accuracy go atomic or high precision quartz for a watch movement. Automatic watch movements have come along way in the past 20 years but don't get caught up in the argument for accuracy with them. If the watch movement was +/- 5 minutes a day i would possibly consider servicing. My 10 year old 6R15 beater keeps better time then my Omega PO 2500C.

blues
09-15-2019, 08:04 AM
If you don't mind to let us/me know your experience, I might send him my GMT Seamaster as well.

T.I.A

Simong.

I'll post back here...good, bad or ugly.

olstyn
09-15-2019, 08:16 AM
Where do you guys draw the line on value of the watch vs price to have it fixed? I was once quoted $500 to fix a watch I paid $125 for, which was a big pile of "nope" for me. Loved the watch, but that seemed insane to me.

Doublestack45
09-15-2019, 08:34 AM
I just faced this same decision a few weeks ago after receiving a call from the tech at Universal watch repair. I had sent an under $400 Tracer diver back to have the battery replaced. He called to say that the now 7 year old watch's battery still had plenty of life but was now slowing down due to drag. Apparently the $140 maintenance he was quoting is similar to changing the oil in a car, with the internals lubricant now gone. Said its just par for the course and should be factored into the cost of ownership.
Caught slightly off guard, I asked that they just send it back. I have another Seiko diver automatic that was losing more than a couple minutes a day, not doubt suffering the same condition.
My temporary solution was to plug a new battery into a first generation Suunto Vector that has zero moving parts until I figure out if I want to drop $300 on getting the other two serviced.

GardoneVT
09-15-2019, 08:38 AM
Where do you guys draw the line on value of the watch vs price to have it fixed? I was once quoted $500 to fix a watch I paid $125 for, which was a big pile of "nope" for me. Loved the watch, but that seemed insane to me.

This is why I avoid “affordable” sub $1000 mechanicals. Below that price you’re better off with quartz, because your servicing cost becomes $10 yearly for the 24 month battery change. Or $4 per year with a self charging Citizen. ($80 service/20 years).

The price floor for a quality service is about $250 , and some parts will likely need changing - which drives up the cost. Figure $500 worst case for a service, which is easily above the value of most affordable mechanicals by the time they need work. As with most things, for watches it’s “buy once cry once”. Not only do official services by Rolex and Omega involve comprehensive reconditioning of the whole watch, the service cost is less then 20% of the watch value and is only needed between seven and ten years with the newer models. Quite reasonable, versus spending 120% of the “affordable” watches value on service once it develops a problem.

A cheaper Seiko can be a fun watch, but if it breaks you’re selling it for parts and getting another one. For a piece with real longevity , save up and do it right.

olstyn
09-15-2019, 08:50 AM
This is why I avoid “affordable” sub $1000 mechanicals. Below that price you’re better off with quartz, because your servicing cost becomes $10 yearly for the 24 month battery change. Or $4 per year with a self charging Citizen. ($80 service/20 years).

So then you're saying that the Lum-Tec C7 (https://lum-tec.com/collections/c-series/products/c7-automatic?variant=9718734716970) ($645) I've had my eye on for a while would be a bad buy? Or do the lines in the description about lifetime free movement timing regulation and lifetime free pressure testing and seal lubrication/cleaning exempt it from that?

JSGlock34
09-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Checking to see if your watch has been magnetized is an easy first step using your Smartphone, is free, and could save a great deal of time and expense returning a watch for service. Download the Lepsi app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lepsi-watch-magnetism/id1080183882) to your smartphone, and follow the instructions. If your watch is not magnetized, then proceed with your return. If you watch is magnetized, then the fix is easy, and does not require opening the caseback. Most jewelers can perform this service, or you can purchase a cheap demagnetizer from Amazon for under $20, and service the watch yourself.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51smC3keaKL._SL1001_.jpg

I diagnosed both a U1 and an Omega Seamaster 300M that were running erratically with the smartphone app; the watches had become magnetized. After applying the demagnetizer, both watches are running quite well (particularly the Omega, which is currently running an average +.3/day over the past ~60 days).

blues
09-15-2019, 09:37 AM

That's a tough one. Omega servicing for my Seamaster would run about $500. I paid just over twice that for the watch when new in 2003. Yesterday I saw pre-owned versions of my watch going for over $2500 online (when they were available).

I guess you have to factor these various data points into the decision.

I was loathe to pay $500 for the Omega service...but I'm okay with paying the $175 (assuming that the watch comes back having been competently serviced).

Part of the reason for the reluctance to drop a lot of money is that I rarely wear a watch these days. It's mostly jewelry for going out or occasions.

GardoneVT
09-15-2019, 10:13 AM
So then you're saying that the Lum-Tec C7 (https://lum-tec.com/collections/c-series/products/c7-automatic?variant=9718734716970) ($645) I've had my eye on for a while would be a bad buy? Or do the lines in the description about lifetime free movement timing regulation and lifetime free pressure testing and seal lubrication/cleaning exempt it from that?

I’m not sure what the “free regulation” encompasses; id conclude that only applies to regulating the watch, and not any service or long term care afterwards.

The NH35 is a very robust entry level movement. However, low as the odds are of an issue if it does malfunction, you’re looking at $250 at minimum to fix it. That’s 38% of the $645 new value of the watch; and it’s not a Rolex, so odds are you’ll be “upside down” like the OP by the time it needs maintenance.

I personally wouldn’t order it, but I’m not big into Lum Tec. It’s your watch so buy what you like, just know the risk.

olstyn
09-15-2019, 12:02 PM
I’m not sure what the “free regulation” encompasses; id conclude that only applies to regulating the watch, and not any service or long term care afterwards.

The NH35 is a very robust entry level movement. However, low as the odds are of an issue if it does malfunction, you’re looking at $250 at minimum to fix it. That’s 38% of the $645 new value of the watch; and it’s not a Rolex, so odds are you’ll be “upside down” like the OP by the time it needs maintenance.

I personally wouldn’t order it, but I’m not big into Lum Tec. It’s your watch so buy what you like, just know the risk.

Thanks - I appreciate the input, and it gives me some things to think about. I'm not a watch collector, and this would be for everyday wear, so I'm not really worried about future resale value, but knowing what to expect in terms of repair costs down the road allows me to go in with my eyes open should I decide to buy.

mtnbkr
09-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Keep in mind the Seiko workhorse movements (7s26, 4R35/4R36, their aftermarket movements such as the NH35/NH36, etc) are all quite robust and should run a good 10+ years without needing service.

So...

At 10yrs per watch, you could buy a new Lum Tech every decade for the rest of your life and not spend Rolex money. Of course, you stand a good chance of getting your money out of the Rolex at the end, so there's that.

I'd treat an heirloom or gift from a special person differently and might even put more into repairs than the actual value, but that's a different matter.

Chris

olstyn
09-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Keep in mind the Seiko workhorse movements (7s26, 4R35/4R36, their aftermarket movements such as the NH35/NH36, etc) are all quite robust and should run a good 10+ years without needing service.

So...

At 10yrs per watch, you could buy a new Lum Tech every decade for the rest of your life and not spend Rolex money.

It could also be pretty reasonable to buy now, expect to service in 10 years, and then expect to buy another watch 10 years after servicing the first one. $645 + $250 = $895. $895 spread over 20 years is less than $4 per month, which sounds pretty OK...

FNFAN
09-16-2019, 07:36 PM
I'll post back here...good, bad or ugly.

I'll be watching. I have a SeaMaster that needs tlc.

Crazy Dane
09-17-2019, 09:21 AM
Checking to see if your watch has been magnetized is an easy first step using your Smartphone, is free, and could save a great deal of time and expense returning a watch for service. Download the Lepsi app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lepsi-watch-magnetism/id1080183882) to your smartphone, and follow the instructions. If your watch is not magnetized, then proceed with your return. If you watch is magnetized, then the fix is easy, and does not require opening the caseback. Most jewelers can perform this service, or you can purchase a cheap demagnetizer from Amazon for under $20, and service the watch yourself.

I diagnosed both a U1 and an Omega Seamaster 300M that were running erratically with the smartphone app; the watches had become magnetized. After applying the demagnetizer, both watches are running quite well (particularly the Omega, which is currently running an average +.3/day over the past ~60 days).

I'd try using the Lepsi app to determine if your watch has been magnetized, which is an increasingly common condition.

If so, cheap demagnetizers are available from Amazon.

I got the app and my watch is magnetized, thanks you two. Now which Chinese demagnetizer with badly instructions to get. There are several on Amazon that look similar from $9 to $15. I may try the local jeweler first. I'll hit Harbor freight too and see what they've got.

P.S. I should have known this was a possible cause.

I replaced the movement of a similar Seiko 5 (originally same movement as yours). The movement and related tools cost well under $100. Setting the hands is a bit tedious (cheap 6x readers helped), as was cutting the new stem, but the result was a watch that not only loses only a minute every two weeks, but offers hand-winding and hacking, unlike the original.

Chris

I have always had an interest of working on my own watches but with everything else I do and my big fat aging fingers, I feel I would end up rushing and screw up a bunch of cheap watches and eventually quit.

Re paying for a Seiko service. I suspecSriko has a couple of hours in the watch from beginning to end on an individual service basis. If they’re paying their technician $25 an hour that’s $50. A few dollars in parts plus profit. It Doesn’t strike me as being unreasonable to charge $118 to fix that watch given it’s now a onesie as opposed to something being made on the factory floor and that economy of scale.

FWIW/YMMV

I don't think it is unreasonable and I just got my Orange Monster back from them a couple of months ago and they serviced my Air Diver last year. When they quoted the price which is $13 more than I paid for the watch, I was hoping someone knew a Bill or a Bob that would work on a watch for a bottle of good bourbon.

The price floor for a quality service is about $250 , and some parts will likely need changing - which drives up the cost. Figure $500 worst case for a service, which is easily above the value of most affordable mechanicals by the time they need work. As with most things, for watches it’s “buy once cry once”. Not only do official services by Rolex and Omega involve comprehensive reconditioning of the whole watch, the service cost is less then 20% of the watch value and is only needed between seven and ten years with the newer models. Quite reasonable, versus spending 120% of the “affordable” watches value on service once it develops a problem.

A cheaper Seiko can be a fun watch, but if it breaks you’re selling it for parts and getting another one. For a piece with real longevity , save up and do it right.

On my firefighters salary, a $500 watch is expensive. I have cooked lesser watches that runs on a battery and found the Seiko mechanicals to be good enough to wear daily. When I retire in a few years I am going to use some of my 401k money to get a Breitling that I have had my eye on for years.

Thanks again to everyone, Forrest

JSGlock34
09-17-2019, 05:31 PM
I got the app and my watch is magnetized, thanks you two. Now which Chinese demagnetizer with badly instructions to get. There are several on Amazon that look similar from $9 to $15. I may try the local jeweler first. I'll hit Harbor freight too and see what they've got.

P.S. I should have known this was a possible cause.

Glad to help. I think I read somewhere that one major manufacturer reported that 40% of the watches they had serviced for accuracy issues had become magnetized, so it is an increasingly common condition. The Lepsi app really makes it easy to diagnose. I have new appreciation for the efforts of companies like Sinn and Omega to harden their watches against magnetic fields.

As for the demagnetizer, I ordered this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9YC4DJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) from Amazon. To your point, it looks like they all come from the same factory, and while my sample of one worked as advertised, I wouldn't say this is a high quality product, or that it is any different from the others advertised. It took a few passes for me to demagnetize my watches, but it worked fine, and was certainly worth the ~$15. I'd have spent more shipping the watches to their respective service centers.

blues
10-04-2019, 08:01 PM
UPDATE:

Got an email from Mark Sirianni. My Omega Seamaster will be shipped back Monday morning via FedEx (insured).

Total cost: $175 for the service, $25 for the insured shipping (signature required)...$200

I'll report back following receipt.

Stephanie B
10-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Can't you go to a store and ask if you can run your match over those things they used to disable the glued-in anti-theft things?

blues
10-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Got my Omega Seamaster back from Mark Sirianni in Kane, PA today. Three weeks and one day from the date he received it. (Right on schedule according to what he advises via his site and email.)

Watch looks great, cleaned and polished up. I've set the time and date and will check to see how it handles accuracy and the power reserve. So far, so good.

Price was as advertised for Seamaster overhaul plus return shipping. No additional charges for parts or labor.

blues
10-10-2019, 08:02 AM
Little bit less than a day now...everything seems good. Calendar flipped to next day. Watch is running about 2+ seconds fast.

Standard for the Seamaster Pro is -4 to +6 seconds daily so it appears to be well within automatic watch tolerance for this 16 year old watch.

(I bought it new via order 16 plus years ago from my then local jeweler's shop...I'm not sure of the exact date of manufacture...but it's within a year or two.)

Erik
10-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Thanks for updating this.

blues
10-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Thanks for updating this.

My pleasure. It was a little nerve wracking sending out an expensive watch to someone I only knew via online reviews...but it looks to have been money well spent and at a considerable savings.

Just before I sent it in, the power reserve wouldn't keep the watch running overnight, and it wouldn't wind via the watch winder. (Rotor and the rest of the innards probably needed to be lubed bad.) Also, it was running slow and losing minutes per month. (No real surprise there given the need for lube.)

Anyway, I'd have confidence to send the watch back for overhaul / service in the future. His communication is good, kept to his time frame, didn't invent new issues requiring additional parts or labor, and sent it back well boxed and protected via FedEx 2nd Day.

Simong
10-10-2019, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the update Blues.

Simong.

FNFAN
10-10-2019, 10:09 PM
Sweet! I'll be send in my "Great White" Seamaster. Thanks Blues!

Det1397
10-11-2019, 07:41 AM
A couple of years ago I decided to get my well worn and relatively beat to $hit Heuer Pasadena. My now wife of 35 years gave it to me for I believe my 25th. birthday. She recalls paying something like $350 for it back then. It was my everyday watch for a long time and although pretty good mechanically, it was showing its age, especially the dial and the lume.

Ben from Boresights Solutions recommended LA Watch Works from his own personal experience. Prior to sending off the Heuer I had a few email and telephone conversations with Eric and I was confident when I sent it out, that it was going to be treated like it was their own watch. They installed a new crystal, cleaned and re-lumed the dial, serviced the movement and got the Pasadena running like new. The only thing I did not do was to refinish the case- left it kind of vintage. And it did not cost me a boatload of cash...
I love this watch and recommend LA Watch Works without hesitation. http://www.lawatchworks.com/index.html

blues
10-11-2019, 08:10 AM
UPDATE:

Watch stopped yesterday afternoon about 25 hours after receipt. Wound it up, wore it for a while and put it on a winder for a few hours and it still stopped running in the middle of the night...then started running again when I pulled it out of the winder. Obviously something is amiss.

Has to be sent back to Mark Sirianni to diagnose and fix. (He says at no additional charge, but that remains to be seen.)

At this point I am not in a position to recommend (or not) the service of Mark Sirianni as I don't know why he wouldn't have noticed this issue with the watch before returning it to me. So please, do not use my experience as a go by in your decision making.

Det1397
10-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Blues- I'm sure things will shake out just fine... A short time after I got the Pasadena back from LA Watch Works (and after being told that I should "limit" exposure to water...) I noticed that even a literal drop of water caused the watch to fog up. I immediately knew something was not right . I emailed them immediately and they promptly sent a FedEx prepaid label. The watch was re-evaluated and the gasket(s) were replaced. Not a problem since then. They stood behind their work.

blues
10-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Blues- I'm sure things will shake out just fine... A short time after I got the Pasadena back from LA Watch Works (and after being told that I should "limit" exposure to water...) I noticed that even a literal drop of water caused the watch to fog up. I immediately knew something was not right . I emailed them immediately and they promptly sent a FedEx prepaid label. The watch was re-evaluated and the gasket(s) were replaced. Not a problem since then. They stood behind their work.

Thanks for the good thoughts. But I've paid shipping three times now...so my sense of humor is being tested. I'm still well below Omega's $550 service...but I'm starting to wonder.

Hopefully you're right, he'll open the case and find some stems and seeds that happened to fall in while he was smokin' a spliff and rockin' out to some rasta music. ;)

RJ
10-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Sorry to hear about the watch repair blues. Hope it works out for you.

blues
10-11-2019, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear about the watch repair blues. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks, Rich. I'm trying to keep it in perspective. It's not like the dog is sick or something important. Appreciate the good thought.:cool:

Crazy Dane
10-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Don't feel bad, mines not looking too good either. I had a jeweler demagnetize it and now it has picked up some binding in the stem. I love the watch and I'm really considering sending it to Seiko, at least I know how their service has been on my other watches. Cost is a wash over a new one. I'm wearing my orange monster air diver for now, it came back from service at +6 seconds a week and settled in at +1.75 a day. My other air diver runs -2.5 a day neither were not any where that accurate when they were new.

blues
10-11-2019, 07:39 PM
We must be sitting over a lode of iron ore.

Crazy Dane
10-14-2019, 11:56 AM
We must be sitting over a lode of iron ore.

Funny you should say that... Years ago I run into a research team from NOAA out in the middle of the woods on the ridge in front of my house. They were trying to find out why there were so many lighting strikes along that ridge. Their theory was it was because the bedrock had an unusually high amount of iron in it. I speculated that it was because the ridge was the edge of the blue ridge escarpment and the lighting had no choice but to hit there. They LOLed and looked at each other like "why didn't you think of that". They were kind enough to send me a copy of their report on the findings. It had my theory in it and had me listed as one of the contributors. Teenaged my thought is was cool.

blues
10-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Funny you should say that... Years ago I run into a research team from NOAA out in the middle of the woods on the ridge in front of my house. They were trying to find out why there were so many lighting strikes along that ridge. Their theory was it was because the bedrock had an unusually high amount of iron in it. I speculated that it was because the ridge was the edge of the blue ridge escarpment and the lighting had no choice but to hit there. They LOLed and looked at each other like "why didn't you think of that". They were kind enough to send me a copy of their report on the findings. It had my theory in it and had me listed as one of the contributors. Teenaged my thought is was cool.

I can just picture the scene and that's pretty cool, what they did. Lord knows we get enough lightning in our area.

Regarding watches...my Omega should be delivered back to Mark Sirianni tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a quick and proper resolution to the matter.

blues
11-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Just got the watch back from Mark Sirianni (round 2).

He had discovered upon its return that the third wheel had a bad lower pivot and as a result ordered and replaced the wheel. Apparently it's difficult to see the lower pivot due to its position in the train. There were no additional charges and Mark paid the return shipping back to me.

In any case, watch is set and I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if all appears in order.

If all is well, it still came out under half what Omega charges for the service.

Totem Polar
11-15-2019, 01:54 PM
One option that I know to be good: send an inquiry to Terry at https://www.toxicnatos.com/

He’s a solid dude (and a vet). Tell him that Sidhe from DWC sent you. His repair guy rules on Seikos, and has rebuilt some pretty messed up Rolex and Omega tragedies. Goos stuff.

I’m going to post Terry’s info again, just because I’m stubborn like that. He knows his stuff, and is a friend. His wife and teenage daughter (both of whom I’ve hung out with) help him with the biz, too. Just as wholesome as it gets. JMO.

https://www.toxicnatos.com/products/online-watch-repair-services?variant=16541310465

blues
11-16-2019, 01:03 PM
24 hours in and the watch (thankfully) is still working. :cool:

So, here's what I've observed so far.

Upon getting it back I fully wound the watch manually and set the date.

I was a bit dismayed after about 3.5 hours to see it was running 20 seconds fast...(after setting it to the Official NIST U.S. Time site)

Took it off my wrist shortly thereafter and put it in my watch winder.

Checked it again at midnight and it was still off the same 20 seconds...

...and just checked again and it has not changed.

So, I wonder if was some combination of the watch being discombobulated by a combination of moving around in FedEx vehicles, plus the cold and then being brought in to a warm house and being set. Or the new third wheel and cleaned / lubricated internals just wearing in a bit.

In any case, it's encouraging that the watch has neither gained nor lost time since I first noticed the disparity almost a day ago.

Time will tell. (Pun sorta intended.)

Jim Watson
11-16-2019, 04:13 PM
I hope it stays set.
I was feeling bad about recommending Mark but he did a good job on my watch.

blues
11-16-2019, 04:51 PM
I hope it stays set.
I was feeling bad about recommending Mark but he did a good job on my watch.

Nah, I'd not have given that a thought, to be honest. I appreciate reading reviews, good or bad. Anything can go awry.

I just got home from town and checked it in the winder and it's still holding at 20 seconds off where I originally set it at 1 PM yesterday. So it hasn't deviated since I first noticed the issue 24 hours ago. (And it's been in the winder most of that time since.) I'll take that as an encouraging sign.

blues
11-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Hopefully, final update:

After three days, (and the initial discovery of the watch running fast), it has only changed 3 seconds over a period of three days. Well within the tolerances for a mechanical watch.

So, absent any surprises, I consider the matter closed and can recommend Mark Sirianni's work on Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometers.

Considering that Omega now charges $550 for an overhaul for this watch, the total price, even with the return, came out to well under half that cost.

blues
12-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Seamaster is running great and keeping excellent time. I check it against the official NIST US time site for accuracy.

theJanitor
12-05-2019, 01:11 AM
I’ve got to send a 1968 5513 in for service. I don’t know when the last time it’s been done. I’m almost afraid to even have it looked at. I don’t have the budget for a huge repair

blues
12-05-2019, 09:02 AM
I’ve got to send a 1968 5513 in for service. I don’t know when the last time it’s been done. I’m almost afraid to even have it looked at. I don’t have the budget for a huge repair

My Seamaster doesn't compare in value but there appear to be many happy vintage Rolex owners who have left glowing reviews for Mark Sirianni (https://www.watchdoctor.biz/). Check the google reviews (https://www.google.com/search?q=mark+sirianni+watch+repair&rlz=1CAHFRG_enUS862US862&oq=mark+sirianni&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l5j69i61.2831j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x89cd0d0bc5945a61:0xdc1d99f24edca2d6,1,,,).

I had a lot of concerns with shipping my watch which hadn't been serviced in 16 years until I noticed it was no longer running properly.

I had to send it back to Mark because he must not have noticed that the third wheel had a damaged bottom pivot, so I was a bit aggravated and leery initially. That said, he replaced the part and performed the repair at no additional charge, (but the cost of shipping it back to him), and since its return, I have been able to keep it within a second or two of the atomic clock by "resting it" overnight in one attitude or another after wearing it during the day. Today it is spot on. That is as good as an automatic watch gets.

His prices are very reasonable and he keeps in touch regarding status. I'd send my watch back for service if he is still taking them the next time an overhaul is due.

Just one data point if you don't want to go to the expense of using an official Rolex service center.

theJanitor
12-05-2019, 06:55 PM
blues , thanks for the referral. I've watched this thread and saw your experience. The other choice may be Rolliworks in CA, as the rivet band needs tightening up, AND I might need a link or two

blues
12-05-2019, 07:32 PM
blues , thanks for the referral. I've watched this thread and saw your experience. The other choice may be Rolliworks in CA, as the rivet band needs tightening up, AND I might need a link or two

My pleasure. :cool:

olstyn
11-26-2020, 11:48 AM
His prices are very reasonable and he keeps in touch regarding status. I'd send my watch back for service if he is still taking them the next time an overhaul is due.

Just recently sent my late father's Bulova to Mark Sirianni for a long overdue servicing/tune up plus hopefully some cosmetic improvements (scratched up acrylic crystal, missing black enamel paint ring around the bezel - I've posted pics before in the big watch thread) based on what I read in this thread. So far, he's been good at keeping me updated with what's going on with it. Apparently the watch back is "frozen in place." He says he'll get it open (he actually joked about dynamite :)), so I guess we'll see where it goes. Obviously a well-worn Bulova isn't as monetarily valuable as your Omega, but given that it's an heirloom piece for me, I'm really hoping for good results.

blues
11-26-2020, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=olstyn;1147181]Just recently sent my late father's Bulova to Mark Sirianni for a long overdue servicing/tune up plus hopefully some cosmetic improvements (scratched up acrylic crystal, missing black enamel paint ring around the bezel - I've posted pics before in the big watch thread) based on what I read in this thread. So far, he's been good at keeping me updated with what's going on with it. Apparently the watch back is "frozen in place." He says he'll get it open (he actually joked about dynamite :)), so I guess we'll see where it goes. Obviously a well-worn Bulova isn't as monetarily valuable as your Omega, but given that it's an heirloom piece for me, I'm really hoping for good results.[/QUOTE

I think he'll do a good job. I had the frustration of having to send it back for an issue which was not disclosed during the cleaning and maintenance. It did cost me the shipping to him, but no additional cost for the work, part replacement nor return shipping back to me...so I think he was very fair. The watch was monitored for several weeks afterward with excellent results.

olstyn
01-16-2021, 12:32 PM
I think he'll do a good job. I had the frustration of having to send it back for an issue which was not disclosed during the cleaning and maintenance. It did cost me the shipping to him, but no additional cost for the work, part replacement nor return shipping back to me...so I think he was very fair. The watch was monitored for several weeks afterward with excellent results.

Sadly, Mr. Sirianni was unable to help me. He emailed me yesterday afternoon to tell me that he's been unable to get the back of the watch off, so he'll be returning it to me with no work done. I guess the cost of shipping it back and forth is just gone. *sigh*

blues
01-16-2021, 12:39 PM
Sadly, Mr. Sirianni was unable to help me. He emailed me yesterday afternoon to tell me that he's been unable to get the back of the watch off, so he'll be returning it to me with no work done. I guess the cost of shipping it back and forth is just gone. *sigh*

That's unfortunate. I'm sure he gave it a reasonable attempt. (His son also works with him, so it must really be on there.)

olstyn
01-16-2021, 12:48 PM
That's unfortunate. I'm sure he gave it a reasonable attempt. (His son also works with him, so it must really be on there.)

I'm sure he did give it a good try, yes. There were communications back and forth where he initially found it difficult, said he had some things to try, then said those things didn't work and that he was worried about scratching the case back trying any more. I said that the watch already had a scratch on the case back (my fault) and that I'd like him to try further, but exercise his judgment if he thought it was impossible, and to stop if he felt he was going to do damage.

I will say that while I wouldn't have minded more frequent communication, I feel that he's been honest and straightforward with me the whole time, so I can't really complain about him. I'm just disappointed about how it worked out.

rkittine
01-16-2021, 01:23 PM
Cleaning and overhauling of my Breitling $620.

GyroF-16
01-17-2021, 12:47 AM
Cleaning and overhauling of my Breitling $620.

Yeah, I’d say that’s about par for the course...
Hopefully that will take care of it for the next 10 years or so.

rkittine
01-17-2021, 10:36 AM
It was already 14 years old when I had this done for the first time and it was really not neccesary, but I thought a good cleaning would be in order.

Bob