PDA

View Full Version : Help for an LEO with NY2

EPF
04-13-2012, 08:17 PM
I have a family member who is an active LEO for a large Agency that mandates the glock NY2 trigger for officers and he recently switched to a G26 for off duty as the KAHR that he carriied is no longer authorized. (I'm sure most of you can guess the agency but I'd rather leave it out) He has limited range time and ammo provided to him by the agency, and their training program is pathetic.

I took him to a basic pistol class by top instructors last year, I bought him a set of sights for the G26, I gave him practice ammo, and I ordered him one of the new plastic SIRT pistols with a trigger set up as close the NY2 as possible.

I'm looking for any other suggestions on how best to mitigate the heavy trigger.. Is there a difference in technique you would recommend? Are some drills more suited than others for learning this? Etc.

Anything you experienced pistol guys recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

ToddG
04-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Dry fire the heck out of it and know that once you've mastered the 39# Glock trigger you can shoot almost anything at an exceptional level.

Jay Cunningham
04-13-2012, 08:59 PM
You can dry fire that setup with a spent case balanced on the front sight. Believe me.

EPF
04-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Dry fire the heck out of it and know that once you've mastered the 39# Glock trigger you can shoot almost anything at an exceptional level.

Thanks, that's actually a pretty good line to cheer him up. Subjectively, when I dry fired the trigger it was not half as bad as I was expecting. What I had heard and read made me think it was going to beat me up and take my lunch money. Don't get me wrong, I'd never choose it but I felt like you could learn to shoot it acceptably if you were strong enough and put in the time.

ToddG
04-13-2012, 09:08 PM
My former shooting partner spent years with that agency and became incredibly proficient with the NY2 setup. That skill then led to him easily mastering the guns he was issued in later jobs, including SIGs, Glocks, and 1911's.

EPF
04-13-2012, 09:13 PM
You can dry fire that setup with a spent case balanced on the front sight. Believe me.

Thanks, that's a classic I should have thought of. I'll pass it on

fuse
04-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Take the spring out of the NY2. If discovered, play dumb.

What could go wrong

ToddG
04-13-2012, 10:54 PM

What could go wrong

Being hung out to dry after a shooting because the department won't take responsibility for someone who modified his weapon to have a lighter trigger than authorized?

Al T.
04-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Are some drills more suited than others for learning this? Etc.

Back in the old days of shooting revolvers, one technique that help immensely was improving hand strength. JAJames probably has the inside scoop for the best results, but a simple thing I do is that I keep a weight plate by the desk for casual use. As I sit and read, I grasp the weight plate with the tips of my fingers and thumb (like eating a burger) and hold it till exhaustion or slowly spin it while only using my finger tips.

Another technique for isolating the trigger finger is to get a rubber ball. While you can work the whole hand this was, I find that it's very well suited to improving the trigger finger if you hold the ball like you would a wine stem and work only the trigger finger.

This assumes some motivation on the part of the shooter. ;)

FWIW, I shoot a G26 with a NY2 trigger just fine, so it's achievable.

EPF
04-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Another technique for isolating the trigger finger is to get a rubber ball. While you can work the whole hand this was, I find that it's very well suited to improving the trigger finger if you hold the ball like you would a wine stem and work only the trigger finger.
FWIW, I shoot a G26 with a NY2 trigger just fine, so it's achievable.

thanks, I like the idea of working on overall grip strength. He's a fit guy so adding that type of work will be easy

David Armstrong
04-14-2012, 12:00 PM

What could go wrong
Loss of job, getting stuck on the wrong end of a major civil suit, possibly compromise weapon function........

David Armstrong
04-14-2012, 12:03 PM
I have a family member who is an active LEO for a large Agency that mandates the glock NY2 trigger for officers and he recently switched to a G26 for off duty as the KAHR that he carriied is no longer authorized. (I'm sure most of you can guess the agency but I'd rather leave it out) He has limited range time and ammo provided to him by the agency, and their training program is pathetic.

I took him to a basic pistol class by top instructors last year, I bought him a set of sights for the G26, I gave him practice ammo, and I ordered him one of the new plastic SIRT pistols with a trigger set up as close the NY2 as possible.

I'm looking for any other suggestions on how best to mitigate the heavy trigger.. Is there a difference in technique you would recommend? Are some drills more suited than others for learning this? Etc.

Anything you experienced pistol guys recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eric
Lots of dry fire learning to develop the feel for it. The NY2 is heavier than lots of folks use but lots of folks also use it without any problems. I run the NY1 in my Glocks, but used a friend's G22 for about half a day on the range and didn't notice anything unusual. Only later found out it had the NY2 in it.

mongooseman
04-18-2012, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=fuse;65903]Take the spring out of the NY2. If discovered, play dumb.

What could go wrong[

Becoming the next Zimmerman?

NickA
04-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Re: grip strength, another simple exercise is to lay out a newspaper, place your hands flat in the middle of it. Use your fingers to crumple up each page into a ball.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk