PDA

View Full Version : Buying a slide for an RMR cut

Clay1
09-10-2019, 09:09 PM
I keep looking at the two month + lead times for sending off a new gun and having it milled and have started to look at slides that come with an RMR cut. I see many of them with what are called "window" cuts. While I own two G34s, I carry a G19 Gen4 daily. I wanted to get a Gen 5 G19 and mount an rmr on it and give that a go.

Not a gamer gun, but an EDC G19 - yes or no on window cuts? Why?

I just keep thinking if I fall in the mud with that thing, I'm done.

Sharkbite
09-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Suarez International. All business... No frilly windows or decor. Pair it with one of their match barrels and flat triggers, and krack on!!

Their 34 slides DO not have the window cut in the top like the factory slide. Their theory is to not give dirt an open door. I agree.

Clay1
09-10-2019, 10:33 PM
Suarez International. All business... No frilly windows or decor. Pair it with one of their match barrels and flat triggers, and krack on!!

Their 34 slides DO not have the window cut in the top like the factory slide. Their theory is to not give dirt an open door. I agree.

I agree, I passed on a $385 Zev Omen tonight - new but didn't like the windows. The price was crazy good for the Zev slide. I looked at Suarez doing a mill job this week, they told me two months to do the cut and the finish and so the shopping for a slide already cut for a RMR. I think that they do good work too.

Darth_Uno
09-11-2019, 07:49 AM
I don’t know what’s available for Gen 5, but I’ve owned multiple Suarez Gen 3 slides and highly recommend them.

Just a heads up, if you get a Suarez Gen 5 slide, they send you a Gen 4. It works fine, my friend has one, but you need all the Gen 4 internals along with it. So you can’t just swap parts from one slide (your Gen 5) to the other (Suarez Gen 4).

TAZ
09-11-2019, 11:44 AM
Have you looked at Jaegerwerks? They did my G19X slide jiffy quick. Work and finish (Ceracote) was well done IMO.

miller_man
09-11-2019, 12:03 PM
2 months!? Geeze.

Primary Machine

Just sent them my 3rd CZ slide. They received it on the 30th and I will probably have it by end of next week. They are 2-3 weeks. No way I’d wait for 2 months- that’s crazy.

voodoo_man
09-11-2019, 12:29 PM
I'll be posting more on this when I get it back...

I sourced a G45 slide and sent it to ATEI for ACRO cut.

Now a days, if you want an RMR on a Glock, I'd highly recommend going the Gen3 route. There are literally dozens of slides that are ready out of the box that can be had for under $300 that will work perfect.

If you want Gen5 and do not want use the MOS (I do not like MOS and won't use it), the only route you can go is to bite the bullet and send it out.

miller_man
09-11-2019, 01:25 PM
2 months!? Geeze.

Primary Machine

Just sent them my 3rd CZ slide. They received it on the 30th and I will probably have it by end of next week. They are 2-3 weeks. No way I’d wait for 2 months- that’s crazy.

Scratch that - just got the email from primary, on its way back to me now.

Clay1
09-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Scratch that - just got the email from primary, on its way back to me now.

I have a couple of the Gen 3 G34's but those are my gamer guns and not what I choose to carry. I have a couple of Gen 4, G19s but wanted to try a Gen 5. I hear that the triggers are better and some of the internals are beefed up but still MIM parts. The finger grooves never bothered me and I don't know if my hand fits or rather I just made it work after thousands of rounds and years with this platform. I'm one of those guys that it is still less about the tool of choice and more about what you do with the tool that you own.

I really don't need anything fancy, I just want to mount an rmr on a gen 5. There are only a few companies offering a Gen 5 slide and my perception is that one of them is ZEV. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

I've thought of finding a steel mounting plate to put on the MOS, but I know that the best way is still to have it milled.

More phone calls to make today, let's see what happens.

What I tell my wife about home renovations holds true for this project as well: It's never as easy as you thought it was going to be.

Darth_Uno
09-11-2019, 04:19 PM
I should add that any Gen 4 slide will work on a Gen 5 frame, and there's a lot of milled Gen 4 slides out there. Again, you just need the Gen 4 slide internals. Good news is, the 19 barrel is compatible thru all 5 gens.

While I recommend Suarez, I own or have owned Grey Ghost and KE Arms also. No issues with any of them. The Brownells slide is good too, from everything I've heard.

Clay1
09-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Talked with ATEi and was quoted for a simple RMR cut with a black anodized finish for the cut - 6 to 10 weeks. :p

Email sent to Jagerwerks.

Voicemail left at L&M Precision

2nd email sent to Trident Defense.

Will post back what I find.

Simong
09-11-2019, 06:06 PM
I just got a slide for gen-4 G-19 with an RMR cut from Brownells for about $210
Excellent quality & price and no need to wait.

Simong.

ranger
09-11-2019, 07:43 PM
I was in similar situation except I was looking at a M&P. I got a new in box S&W M&P CORE (1.0 not 2.0) complete top end for $350 tax and delivery.

El Cid
09-11-2019, 08:30 PM
I’ve been waiting very impatiently for the Unity Tactical ATOM slides to come back in stock.

og556
09-11-2019, 09:11 PM
The Agency Syndicate slides are out for gen 3 and 4. They are a bit pricey but they use the modular AOS system.

Clay1
09-13-2019, 01:57 PM
I've been talking to a few machine shops and a couple of things stood out to me that I had not considered previously. While they make sense after the discussion, the old saying: you don't know what you don't know kind of stood out to me.

One was that Cerakote coatings have a thickness and can complicate tight fitting millings.

The second was that after the milling, I thought that the only place recoated was somehow just the bare metal cut and not the whole slide. So you get a a nice Gen 5 Glock with a new, more durable coating and then they blast all that off there and apply a black nitrite coating. Is that what you really want to do?

I'm basically down to a Zev slide since they make Gen 5 slides. There are two options, an Omen or an Orion. The Omen has window cut, which look like a stop entry point to me but I much prefer the simple milling or an Orion with no windows but not my choice for aesthetics.

For a carry gun which way do you vote: Omen or Orion?

Just need one last push before I place an order.

I welcome pms on a good place to buy a trijicon rmr rm06 type 2 - today. I missed both the Palmetto state and the Primary arms sales which sold out in minutes. (at least that is my perception)

Darth_Uno
09-13-2019, 04:25 PM
You may want to consider why nobody has said, "Yeah, go for the Zev."

Among other reasons, I personally I think Zev is so cheesy I couldn't carry any of their slides, and both of the Gen 5 slides look like dog shit.

There's plenty of places that will mill your slide. I'd go that route before I bought a Zev. And you don't need to get it recoated/Cerakoted, unless you just want a different color.

And I'm not a fan of windows or any unnecessary holes in the slide. Then everyone says, "What about Beretta?" That's a different design. When crap gets into your Glock slide, it has nowhere to go.

Simong
09-13-2019, 05:41 PM

LtDave
09-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Wright Armory in Mesa, AZ has milled 2 HK VP9’s for me. Turnaround on each was a week including shipping time.

Clay1
09-14-2019, 09:34 AM
You may want to consider why nobody has said, "Yeah, go for the Zev."

Among other reasons, I personally I think Zev is so cheesy I couldn't carry any of their slides, and both of the Gen 5 slides look like dog shit.

There's plenty of places that will mill your slide. I'd go that route before I bought a Zev. And you don't need to get it recoated/Cerakoted, unless you just want a different color.

And I'm not a fan of windows or any unnecessary holes in the slide. Then everyone says, "What about Beretta?" That's a different design. When crap gets into your Glock slide, it has nowhere to go.

I would take the Zev Omen, which is a more simple design, if it didn't have those windows. The Orion is over the top for me too. I mostly like the finish and it's gtg out of the box.

Simong, I even think that those Brownells slides are on sale right now.

Lt Dave, maybe, I just need to find a place with better turn around time. I ordered my next G19 yesterday, this one with front serrations from the factory and that look / function is what I am after. The Gen 5 slides are much slicker than my G3s and G4s so I wanted simple,, function front serrations.

The gun and the Trijicon RM06 type 2 were both ordered yesterday. Should be here by Weds. Either want to order a slide today or find a place to ship the gun to, once it arrives. I'm finally moving forward. Thanks for all of the help everyone.

Simong
09-14-2019, 10:29 PM
I would like to point one more thing regarding the slide/Holster.

To my surprise I'm able to use the same Kydex OWB holster I bought recently (inexpensive) before I even thought going the RDS route.

Simong.

Clay1
09-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Thought that I should post what I actually ended up with.

I bought a Zev Citadel. http://www.zevtechnologies.com/ZEV-Z19-Citadel-Stripped-Slide-with-RMR-Plate-5th-Gen-Black I did not pay list, I paid $309. Which was less than many aftermarket slides.

It's one of the few Gen 5 slides out there. I didn't want any windows in the slide and I didn't want to have my original slide blasted and re-coated along with the lead times that the process demanded.

If I don't like this slide I'm keeping the original intact as soon as I can find some Gen 5 slide parts. I found some today at Guns Midwest, right up until the time they wanted $54 to ship a handful of slide parts.

Parts and pieces came today from Brownells and Euro Optic, firing pin channel liner tool, suppressor height sights, RM06 T2 etc.

If anyone has a line on some Gen 5 slide parts in stock with reasonable pricing and shipping costs. I could really use a push in the right direction. Brownells and Midway have Zero.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.

Darth_Uno
09-20-2019, 05:54 PM
You can check NDZ Performance or Glockstore.

Clay1
10-04-2019, 02:22 PM
You can check NDZ Performance or Glockstore.

On the slide parts, finally Brownells has these parts in stock at a very reasonable price. Mine are scheduled for delivery today so I will have two complete uppers for this 19.5.

Now that I already have one up and running, I can send off the other slide to be milled and don't have to fret too much about turn around time.

rob_s
10-04-2019, 04:20 PM
If you want Gen5 and do not want use the MOS (I do not like MOS and won't use it)

I'm pretty sure this has been covered elsewhere, but having not actually owned either option, I still don't understand the issue with the MOS.

Anyone able to explain it to a dummy?

JRV
10-04-2019, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty sure this has been covered elsewhere, but having not actually owned either option, I still don't understand the issue with the MOS.

More screws (failure points), higher optic ride (cowitness issues), certain optics require special shorter MOS screws to mount (e.g. Trijicon).

However, if the new Noblex MOS optic is any indication, optics integrating the MOS plate pattern as a mounting platform might be a developing presence in the marketplace.

Might.

Not sure very many companies will, however, invest the resources necessary into an optic that only works on one manufacturer's products.

voodoo_man
10-04-2019, 06:30 PM

So what JRV said, ontop of the fact it's just a matter of time before it fails in some way. Direct mill is a better option all around.

They could have designed a unity atom type mount and made out decently but they choose to go the cheap route.

flyrodr
10-04-2019, 07:36 PM
So, just wondering. How many people have had the MOS mounting system fail? I only have one MOS pistol, a G19.5, and it has had an RMR on it, and more recently the SRO. It's had several thousand rounds through it, with no failures of the mounting system (plate or optic). I have had (and still do mostly) several direct mount red dots, and only one of those has come loose (which I didn't initially mount).

I don't do anything special in mounting the red dots. Clean out the drilled holes with degreaser (and also screws, unless they have pre-applied loctite), apply a dab of blue loctite to threads, and tighten "snugly" (never actually used a torque wrench). Did the same on the MOS plate and red dot.

Come to think of it, I had an early M&P with the plate system. No problem with it either.

All these guns are 9mm, so maybe it's a recoil issue. I'm just not seeing the dots, direct milled or the one MOS, loosening up.

But then I've only had two dot failures (one the optic, one an adjusting screw broke) in several years and many thousands of rounds.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

rob_s
10-05-2019, 04:55 AM
More screws (failure points), higher optic ride (cowitness issues), certain optics require special shorter MOS screws to mount (e.g. Trijicon).

However, if the new Noblex MOS optic is any indication, optics integrating the MOS plate pattern as a mounting platform might be a developing presence in the marketplace.

Might.

Not sure very many companies will, however, invest the resources necessary into an optic that only works on one manufacturer's products.

That moblex (https://noblex-germany.com/index.php/en/products/88-category-en-gb/products/target-optics/reflex-sights-consumer/141-noblex-sight-for-glock-m-o-s-system) is a really slick design. Kind of seems like they went overboard on the low profile though. Like the screen should be bigger.

So with a Glock MOS, the issue is that you have the slide cut, then an adapter plate, then the optic, whereas with a custom milled slide you go direct from slide to optic?

JRV
10-05-2019, 06:24 AM
So with a Glock MOS, the issue is that you have the slide cut, then an adapter plate, then the optic, whereas with a custom milled slide you go direct from slide to optic?

Yeah. Whether it's an actual issue or a percieved issue, plates put the optic higher up and introduce more possible issues.

alwayscarry
10-17-2019, 02:06 AM
I sent two slides (26.5 and 19.5) out on August 30th to Maple Leaf FAs, LLC (https://www.mapleleaffirearms.com/) for their Carry Essentials package(s) with Stonewash nitride refinishing. Their quoted time was 4 weeks plus 2 week for refinishing. I got a shipping notice on 10/15. Looking forward to delivery Friday the 17th.

Have been running a 19.5 MOS for about 6 months with a Trijicon RM07 (6.5 MOA) and have a Holosun 507c here to see if I like the smaller dot or dot/ring better.

MDFA
10-22-2019, 06:53 AM
I've sent a Gen 3 19 slide and a Gen 3 22 slide to Lone Wolf for RMR milling. 1 week turnaround. When they came back I cold blued the cut and installed the RMR's with a sealing plate. No issues with either one. I also have a Gen 3 19 Brownells slide with RMR cut, it works great. No issues with a Gen 5 19 MOS with a CH Precision mounting plate either. Just my 2 cents. I would recommend against the window cuts however, just a spot for something to get in the gun.