PDA

View Full Version : Less Lethal Shotguns

revchuck38
09-08-2019, 06:38 PM
I've found some police trade-in 870 Wingmasters that were used as "less lethal" platforms. Are these commonly modified to prevent them from firing standard ammo, or are the orange stocks the only difference? They're pretty cheap, and I'm wondering if there's a reason for it.

HCM
09-08-2019, 07:04 PM
I've found some police trade-in 870 Wingmasters that were used as "less lethal" platforms. Are these commonly modified to prevent them from firing standard ammo, or are the orange stocks the only difference? They're pretty cheap, and I'm wondering if there's a reason for it.

Normally the colored stocks are the only change.

andre3k
09-08-2019, 07:46 PM
What HCM said.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.

Lon
09-08-2019, 08:16 PM
If all they have been are less lethal guns, then they probably have fewer rounds thru them than normal police trade ins. I'd buy one. All I did when we transitioned years ago was paint the stocks orange and clear coat them.

ST911
09-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Likely a field conversion from standard lethal use to a dedicated less lethal launcher. I don't think Remington shipped dedicated LL 870s on Wingmaster receivers. Barrel wear will be a good indicator. Doesn't matter either way. Buy one if the price is right.

revchuck38
10-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Well, I've got one of these (http://summitgunbroker.com/870-wingmaster.html) coming. The current plan is to see if it runs okay as-is; if it does, I'll rattle-can it black as a temporary measure until the budget allows sending it to Wilson's for the Remington Steal package and sights. If it doesn't, it'll have to go sooner. Looking forward to playing with it!

TCinVA
10-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Just be aware that the shotgun you purchased has likely never been cleaned, so it will need a good scrubbing and some lubrication.

revchuck38
10-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Just be aware that the shotgun you purchased has likely never been cleaned, so it will need a good scrubbing and some lubrication.

I figured that. :)

Aray
10-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Kevlar bags clean barrels nicely!

BehindBlueI's
10-08-2019, 10:21 PM
1) Ours are furniture difference only and they are completely capable of firing standard shells. In order to get a Beanbag launcher you have to give up carrying a shotgun to minimize the risk of ordinance confusion.

2) "They" have kittens if you call it a shotgun. PR, I guess. It's a "launcher".