PDA

View Full Version : Rock n Roll casualty who becomes a war hero

Dismas316
09-08-2019, 08:32 AM
For any grunge/rock fans. Interesting article (20 min read) about a guy kicked out of Nirvana AND Soundgarden who joins the special forces. Kind of the Pete Best of they grunge generation (for you all under 30, Best was kicked out of the Beatles)

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/magazine/evermans-war.html

olstyn
09-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I remember reading that a few years ago and thinking it was interesting/neat.

Totem Polar
09-08-2019, 10:58 AM
^^^ditto

Jim Watson
09-08-2019, 11:28 AM
See, Junior, you CAN get a real job.

SoCalDep
09-08-2019, 11:39 AM
He’s now in a band with a former Delta soldier and a couple other prior service guys called “Silence and Light”.

NickA
09-09-2019, 09:54 AM
I'd seen that before also, always a good read.
That's some long odds to be in and out of 2 bands that would become so huge. But then again he was definitely in the right place at the right time with the grunge craze.
Of course if you look at where Cobain and Cornell ended up vs where he's at, maybe it's a blessing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
09-09-2019, 10:20 AM
I'd seen that before also, always a good read.
That's some long odds to be in and out of 2 bands that would become so huge. But then again he was definitely in the right place at the right time with the grunge craze.
Of course if you look at where Cobain and Cornell ended up vs where he's at, maybe it's a blessing.

Most likely. All those deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq with SF, and he still got shot in the face one less time than Cobain. Alanis was right.

NickA
09-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Most likely. All those deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq with SF, and he still got shot in the face one less time than Cobain. Alanis was right.Well now I'm going to hell for laughing at that, thanks a lot [emoji41]
In retrospect Cobain seemed destined for suicide, supposedly he talked about it from a young age. The sudden huge fame, drug habit, physical issues, and contentious marriage certainly didn't help.
Cornell is the one that really bugs me. He seemed to be aging well, a family man, still plenty of talent, and then he's just gone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
09-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Well now I'm going to hell for laughing at that, thanks a lot [emoji41]
In retrospect Cobain seemed destined for suicide, supposedly he talked about it from a young age. The sudden huge fame, drug habit, physical issues, and contentious marriage certainly didn't help.
Cornell is the one that really bugs me. He seemed to be aging well, a family man, still plenty of talent, and then he's just gone.

While both are sad, I agree with your assessment. It’s a fine point, but one is "27 club" stuff, and the other is Robin Williams stuff. At 52, one would hope to have stuck a truce with one’s demons.

Casual Friday
09-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Most likely. All those deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq with SF, and he still got shot in the face one less time than Cobain. Alanis was right.

"It's like rai-ee-ain....

DC_P
09-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Alanis was right.

Isn't it ironic that none of the things in that song, by definition, are actually ironic?