PDA

View Full Version : Red dot gets shot

EricP
09-08-2019, 07:33 AM
https://youtu.be/m3vHMsba2Rk

Every time I convince myself to try out Carry Optics, either GJM breaks something new or I see a video like this.

Duke
09-08-2019, 08:14 AM
People are bad at things....

Like following directions and using loctite. If you aren’t like then this won’t likely be an issue for you.

Wake27
09-08-2019, 08:16 AM
ATEi. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gio
09-08-2019, 09:02 AM
People are bad at things....

Like following directions and using loctite. If you aren’t like then this won’t likely be an issue for you.

Rob is a grandmaster, not exactly what I’d define as “bad at things” when it comes to shooting and getting gear installed and running correctly.

I was there for this. The screws stripped out of the mounting plate. No amount of loctite would have kept this from happening.

Duke
09-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Rob is a grandmaster, not exactly what I’d define as “bad at things” when it comes to shooting and getting gear installed and running correctly.

I was there for this. The screws stripped out of the mounting plate. No amount of loctite would have kept this from happening.

Yes I’m aware.

Cool for you. Things break. What does this prove in regard to general red dot durability?

Gio
09-08-2019, 09:15 AM
Yes I’m aware.

Cool for you. Things break. What does this prove in regard to general red dot durability?

You said people are bad at things and implied this was caused by not following directions and using loctite...:confused:

Duke
09-08-2019, 10:05 AM
You said people are bad at things and implied this was caused by not following directions and using loctite...:confused:

A man made those screws and drilled those holes in the slide.

Somewhere along the lines - someone wasn’t as good at their part as is required.

JSGlock34
09-08-2019, 10:50 AM
What does this prove in regard to general red dot durability?

https://media3.giphy.com/media/T3jojNbyGwuJ2/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d52d62068fbb85245611ae108478 d4875911269b&rid=giphy.gif

Who made any statement in regard to general red dot durability from this incident?

This seems like a one-in-a-million, "well, you don't see that every day", sort of failure. I've been entertained.

Duke
09-08-2019, 11:21 AM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/T3jojNbyGwuJ2/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d52d62068fbb85245611ae108478 d4875911269b&rid=giphy.gif

Who made any statement in regard to general red dot durability from this incident?

This seems like a one-in-a-million, "well, you don't see that every day", sort of failure. I've been entertained.

Every time I convince myself to try out Carry Optics, either GJM breaks something new or I see a video like this.

JSGlock34
09-08-2019, 11:48 AM
I suppose I took that in jest. After all, the video is titled, "Most Ridiculous Red Dot Fail Ever!".

TAZ
09-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Funny and sad. Glad nobody got hurt from the various ricochets possible.

Would love to see some details on the the gun and mount used. One fo the few things Ive always felt goofy about was the limited number of threads engaged when mounting an RDS to something like the Glock MOS platform. This is double true if anyone chooses to mount with screws cut to length vs just getting the correct screw length.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Think I mentioned before that at a match we had a strange set of new shooters, that dressed like Dads from Leave it to Beaver, they were led by their minister who tried to boss even the SO around as he knew it all. Holsters were Uncle Mike-ish soft crap. One Dad had a laser/flashlight mounted. On his first stage, he draws - the laser/light falls off. The light goes to strobe and the laser come on - it's a disco.

GearFondler
09-08-2019, 03:28 PM
Think I mentioned before that at a match we had a strange set of new shooters, that dressed like Dads from Leave it to Beaver, they were led by their minister who tried to boss even the SO around as he knew it all. Holsters were Uncle Mike-ish soft crap. One Dad had a laser/flashlight mounted. On his first stage, he draws - the laser/light falls off. The light goes to strobe and the laser come on - it's a disco.You've obviously never been trained on "Strategic Tactical Distractions" or STD's if you're in the know... The Tango is befuddled by the light show while you double tap his ass.

Sharkbite
09-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Huh. I wonder if that would happen if he had been using a Suarez slide and RMR. Hmmmm...

Duces Tecum
09-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Cool points if he'd seamlessly transitioned to irons and stayed in the fight.

Darth_Uno
09-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Huh. I wonder if that would happen if he had been using a Suarez slide and RMR. Hmmmm...

I just wonder how both screws managed to strip out. Even one functioning screw should hold it onto the slide.

Clay1
09-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Not sure what gun he was using, but I'm wondering if it was a stock Glock MOS with the factory plate?

EricP
09-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Per the comments in the video, the gun was a Shadow 2 on a CZ Custom mounting plate.

GJM
09-08-2019, 08:22 PM
A few thoughts:

1) I have had dots fail multiple times on stages, in a match, and I just carried on without a dot. I have a vague recollection that Jim Wall, of Milt Sparks, won a single stack match shooting his 1911 with no sights, just a slide. This video would have been even cooler, if the competitor finished with his slide, rather than stop and unload.

2) both the red dot and the mounting system are failure points, and those of us that have been doing the red dot thing a while have seen both. My buddy, Rich, had a RMR come off a MOS 34 and hit him in the head. A strong M class CO guy had the Springer plate, along with the attached DP Pro, come off his X5 on a stage at the Magnus Cup. Direct milled is obviously preferable as it eliminates one possible failure point, and there is a reason that Gary Roberts has been advocating direct milled installations for LE or EDC use for as long as pistol mounted dots have been out there. An issue with a MOS style system is you can’t see what is going on with the mounting plate without removing the optic. At least with the X5 style system, you can verify tightness of the plate mounting screws from underneath the slide.

3) we have been exchanging great information in this sub forum with a minimum of emotion, and I hope we can lead all of PF with our signal to noise ratio.

YVK
09-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Stripped threads on CZ Custom plates have been a known occurrence when screws are over-tightened. I believe that a mod here has had that happen.

GJM
09-08-2019, 08:29 PM
Stripped threads on CZ Custom plates have been a known occurrence when screws are over-tightened. I believe that a mod here has had that happen.

The new aluminum Springer plates for the RMR/SRO for the Legion/M17/X Compact have steel inserts for the screws to address this issue. Aluminum plates are not, in my experience, able to hold up to the repeated removal and installation of optics necessitated by their piss poor reliability.

Trukinjp13
09-08-2019, 11:34 PM
I am sorry. But this video in NO way should prevent someone from running a mrds. There are plenty of reasons for someone to decide not to. But this is simply not one. Shit happens for sure, but this is a result of mounting plate failure.

I went ATEI because when I was ready to climb down the mrds rabbit hole I wanted the absolute best mounting system for rmr2. I have ZERO worries about this kind of shit happening.

miller_man
09-09-2019, 11:51 AM
I was wondering to why he just gave up and showed clear? This is why you have/bring a back up gun to matches.

I have seen my buddies RMR fly off mid stage a few moths ago. But he fully admits to being pretty lackluster in his installations.

Still am/will gladly carry with a dot and BUIS.