PDA

View Full Version : Masada

Lon
09-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Anyone got one? Got my hands on 2 different ones at gun shops. Fully ambi, optic ready for $450. Nice trigger on the specimens I played with. Better than stock Glock, P10 and Beretta striker fired for sure. Maybe not a 2.0 M&P.

Willard
09-07-2019, 11:15 PM
Didn't even know it was a thing.

Whirlwind06
09-08-2019, 05:08 AM
https://iwi.net/masada/

IWI MASADA 9mm polymer framed striker-fired pistol was developed in order to provide an advanced solution to the modern battlefield requirements. Much more than just another striker-fired pistol, the MASADA features a low profile barrel for reduced perceived recoil. Fully ambidextrous controls and enhanced ergonomics which provide a natural and instinctive pointing grip angle. Three interchangeable wrap around back-straps coupled with

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

farscott
09-08-2019, 06:37 AM
Looks like Tamara is reviewing one for Shooting Illustrated. https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2019/09/range-day-friday.html

If I was interested, I would wait for her review as I find her articles well worth the reading when it comes to new platforms.

sparkyv
09-08-2019, 08:04 AM
I was looking at this very firearm this morning. Looks very nice. Very much like the Ruger American Pistol, IMO. The Masada has the optics cut out and plates, at a reasonable price.

Jeep
09-09-2019, 10:52 AM
I agree. I played with one in a gunshop. This is a nice looking and feeling striker-fired pistol for a budget price. No doubt magazines will be tough to source for a while, but if it survives testing in America, this pistol will probably be able to gain some market share simply because of its price, and the other good features will be a benefit.

Kyle Reese
09-18-2019, 07:49 AM
I agree. I played with one in a gunshop. This is a nice looking and feeling striker-fired pistol for a budget price. No doubt magazines will be tough to source for a while, but if it survives testing in America, this pistol will probably be able to gain some market share simply because of its price, and the other good features will be a benefit.Mags are readily available at Proven Arms & Outfitters online for $25 a pop, in 10 and 17 round flavors. I'd post a link but this phone is on the way out and giving me problems today.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Nephrology
09-18-2019, 09:21 AM
Meh. The optic plates are a nice idea if they work, but if you're going to drop the money to buy and mount a MRDS, I'm not sure the ~$140 saved vs. a MOS glock really is a deal breaker. Particularly if you're already sitting on piles of glock mags, holsters, etc.

Already plenty of plastic 9mm striker guns on the market. This one doesn't really do anything for me either.

JonInWA
09-18-2019, 12:05 PM
I think a huge uphill battle any new SFA pistol has to face is that some giants in the industry have some vetted, highly capable and featured guns not just in existence, but fielded in commercial, LEO and military markets.

Beyond the acquired support gear Nephrology brings up, most of us on this forum are for the most part well beyond getting a new shiny toy just because it's available and we have the disposable income. In most cases, I strongly suspect that training with existing platforms trumps any supposed improvements from a new platform-which I suspect in most cases would be incremental at best anyhow.

Either someone has to give it to me, or there has to be an extremely compelling reason(s) for me to venture into a new platform these days. I'm personally finally ready to put my toe in the RDS water-but that's because I've just won a couple of guns equipped with 'em.

Best, Jon

Darth_Uno
09-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Beyond the acquired support gear Nephrology brings up, most of us on this forum are for the most part well beyond getting a new shiny toy just because it's available and we have the disposable income. In most cases, I strongly suspect that training with existing platforms trumps any supposed improvements from a new platform-which I suspect in most cases would be incremental at best anyhow.

Best, Jon

Are there better guns than Glocks? Probably, but I’m so invested in Glocks, mags, holsters and parts that I’m better off getting better with what I’ve got than chasing a marginally better gun.

That said, the Masada looks interesting and if that’s your weapon of choice there’s nothing stopping you. When people say “parts aren’t common,” that might be true, but you can get anything shipped to your door.

Gary1911A1
09-18-2019, 03:26 PM
I'd be more impress if any military or LE Agency issued them.

tgoldie00
09-18-2019, 08:55 PM
I bought one right at release. I have ~350 rounds through it.

A couple of things up-front. First, I have had a copy at one point or another of most major striker fired pistol brands on the market, typically in compact size, but several in full size as well. I presently have a family of Glocks, a couple Sig P320s, a couple of Franken Glocks (Zev factory build, a competition G19 I built myself), a CZ P10, etc.

Second, I don’t only shoot strikers/polys. I love 1911s, Beretta 92 series....ok I love them all. I’m not a snob at all, and while I might never own a High Point (ok maybe a Yeet Cannon, just because). I’ll shoot anything.

Lastly, I have a Tavor SAR and believe in IWI and their ability to make a damn fine firearm. They may not be pretty, they may not have AR triggers, but they have everything one needs when the rubber meets the road and they just run. Period.

So the Masada was obviously not Gucci Gun money up-front so the risk was minimal.

It feels good in the hand, it has the pretty standard reinforced polymer feel IWI has across the board. Grip texture is OK. It could definitely use a little more purchase. The non-flared magwell is probably the biggest design issue (if not the only one) I can point to definitively.

Sights are fine for 3-dot. They run the Sig pattern dovetail so swapping them is not an issue, nor does it require waiting for something new.

The Masada shoots well. It looks as if it has the high bore axis of a P320, but the frame design allows the shooter to grip up on it, keeping the muzzle flip well under control. Recoil is a non-issue as one would expect in a full-size duty pistol. I have had 0 issues to date with the pistol. The controls are truly ambi, and well designed/placed. The trigger, for a stock, factory striker, is actually pretty good. I’ll never pretend striker triggers please me because I love SA triggers, but it feels a lot like a Gen 3 factory Glock.

Here’s the deal...this pistol doesn’t stand out to people who have invested in systems like Sig, Hk, Glock, etc. If I were new to shooting, and I was looking at a sea of plastic fantastically and wanted the best value, most feature-rich pistol in the $500 price range, it’s damn hard to beat the value the Masada provides. I’m not getting rid of mine...in fact I shot jt just yesterday.

tgoldie00
09-18-2019, 09:00 PM

It’s a completely new platform...so there will likely be some time until that happens. The low hanging fruit is of course the IDF which issues a mix of Glocks and Jericho pistols (CZ85 clones). I wouldn’t be surprised if we see these at least undergoing field trials in the near future there. IDF armories are often a mish-mash of weapons of the same caliber as weapons are cycled in and out of their inventory. They work weapons down to the bone before replacement...getting every last possible round squeezed out before retiring them.

Also Israel/IWI exports Tavors to several South American nations, a few African nations, and even some to India...so there are already established markets they might get some play in.

GardoneVT
09-18-2019, 09:29 PM
...Jericho pistols (CZ85 clones).

This is not correct. The IMI/IWI Jericho uses a distinct trigger and fire control design from the CZ75. If it’s a clone of anything, it would be of the Tanfoglio designs. Those pistols diverged from the CZ75 a long time ago.

tgoldie00
09-19-2019, 04:31 AM
This is not correct. The IMI/IWI Jericho uses a distinct trigger and fire control design from the CZ75. If it’s a clone of anything, it would be of the Tanfoglio designs. Those pistols diverged from the CZ75 a long time ago.

Correct on all points, and fair. I meant more high-level, generically speaking since we were discussing military contracts but again, fair none the less.

I should also note here (since I can no longer edit) my typo for CZ 75 (I typed 85 by accident) so also thanks for pointing that out.

Kyle Reese
09-19-2019, 07:42 AM
My impulsive side says to grab one for $383 from Proven Outfitters, when I should use that money to invest in more Gen 5 9mm Glocks.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Tod-13
09-19-2019, 08:19 AM
<snip>
Sights are fine for 3-dot. They run the Sig pattern dovetail so swapping them is not an issue, nor does it require waiting for something new.
<snip>

So for the optics ready model, if you wanted suppressor height sights for use with a dot, what would you need to buy? I'm not familiar with Sig sights--but Dawson lists sights separately for several different models.

For me, stuff like that, not having a clear "this is what fits" or even better, offering the suppressor sights with the optics ready model, is what signals "bad customer support and planning" to me. (Similar to my reaction to CZ's optics ready model that didn't have sights or plates available at first.)

tgoldie00
09-19-2019, 08:31 AM
The sights that seem to be preferred so far, for suppressor-height, are the night-fision perfect-dot sights for Sig, #6 Front, #8 rear, SKU: SIG-179-013-xxxx. The last 4 digits refer to the 3 rear sight choices (blackout, back 2-tritium, white ringed 2-tritium) with a white ringed front post (the only one presently available in higher sights).

MrInox
09-19-2019, 10:59 AM

I think that's the goal for IWI. Offer a polymer pistol to go along with the tavor/negev/Galil ACE/ect that alot of countries are buying. Become a "one stop shop" vendor for all your small arms needs. Wouldnt be surprised to see IWI-affiliated countries like India, Vietnam, Guatemala, ect buy these pistols in the near future....

Kanye Wyoming
06-28-2021, 07:24 AM
Oddly named yet potentially ground breaking new handgun from Israel Weapon Industries. I’m no engineer but I wonder how an algae framed pistol would hold up in a 2000 round challenge.

Grecco
06-29-2021, 01:05 PM
I purchased one when they first were available,
For the price, I thought it was a decent with an optic cut, the ergos are decent and the trigger is good and can be tuned.

below are my thoughts.

The Pro's

Price.
Optic Ready.
Will accept Sig P series sights.
Ambi.

The Con's
Seems a bit snappy compared to others in its class.
The finish on the barrel , wears quickly and un even (sample of one)
Mag release is to small.
The OEM sights are regulated @25Meters with a combat hold (driving the dot....sorry I hate it)

Over all for a entry level optic ready pistol at the $450 +/- price point, It is a good deal.