PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Government Orders Apple and Google to Identify Users of a Gun Scope App

Norville
09-07-2019, 01:54 PM
This will be interesting...

The U.S. government has ordered Apple and Google to disclose the names, phone numbers, and other information for "at least" 10,000 users of a gun scope app, reports Forbes.

An order filed from the Department of Justice requests info on people who use Obsidian 4, an app that controls rifle scopes made by American Technologies Network Corp. The app is designed to let gun owners get a live stream, take video, and calibrate their gun scope using a smartphone.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/06/us-government-gun-scope-data-request-apple/

Chance
09-07-2019, 03:39 PM
The government requesting large amounts of user data is nothing new, it just usually occurs on the intelligence side of the house, so we never hear about it.

HCM
09-07-2019, 04:16 PM
The government requesting large amounts of user data is nothing new, it just usually occurs on the intelligence side of the house, so we never hear about it.

Yes in this case it relates to an ITAR investigation involving ATN optics being used by the Taliban against U.S forces as well as popping up other places.

Such court orders are not unusual - What is unusual is why this is getting press as these type orders usually include non disclosure orders valid for a year or more depending on the nature of the investigation.

If someone at google or apple leaked this they can face criminal contempt charges.

blues
09-07-2019, 04:27 PM
Yes in this case it relates to an ITAR investigation involving ATN optics being used by the Taliban against U.S forces as well as popping up other places.

Such court orders are not unusual - What is unusual is why this is getting press as these type orders usually include non disclosure orders valid for a year or more depending on the nature of the investigation.

If someone at google or apple leaked this they can face criminal contempt charges.

The mere mention of ITAR / ODTC / EAR gives me involuntary twitches. ;)

Duke
09-07-2019, 04:35 PM
this at least may mean that the gov isn’t looking over your shoulder to your iPhones activity day by day in real time....

Maybe....

blues
09-07-2019, 04:38 PM
this at least may mean that the gov isn’t looking over your shoulder to your iPhones activity day by day in real time....

Maybe....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/National_Security_Agency_headquarters%2C_Fort_Mead e%2C_Maryland.jpg/1280px-National_Security_Agency_headquarters%2C_Fort_Mead e%2C_Maryland.jpg

"What'd you think about that acreage that Duke posted on P-F?"

"I dunno. You think he mows it himself?"

"Wait, someone just mentioned Kanye. Better send a message to POTUS."

Duke
09-07-2019, 04:42 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/National_Security_Agency_headquarters%2C_Fort_Mead e%2C_Maryland.jpg/1280px-National_Security_Agency_headquarters%2C_Fort_Mead e%2C_Maryland.jpg

"What'd you think about that acreage that Duke posted on P-F?"

"I dunno. You think he mows it himself?"

"Wait, someone just mentioned Kanye. Better send a message to POTUS."

Now that shit is funny

Totem Polar
09-07-2019, 05:57 PM
I’m not concerned until the US Gov’t orders google to turn over pics of JodyH at the range.

blues
09-07-2019, 05:58 PM
I’m not concerned until the US Gov’t orders google to turn over pics of JodyH at the range.

I think he paid someone off to get rid of that one.

:p

JodyH
09-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Now I have to shoot naked.
That's worked out pretty good for me so far with my laptop camera.

Mike C
09-07-2019, 09:38 PM

What no thermal photos?

blues
09-07-2019, 10:09 PM
What no thermal photos?

Shrinkage!

Duelist
09-08-2019, 01:55 AM
So, I’m confused: is it a request (citizen owned company, would you please help us out by ...) or an order (you will provide this information under penalty of law xxx.2) ?

And what does Jody’s junk have to do with it?

HCM
09-08-2019, 02:27 AM
So, I’m confused: is it a request (citizen owned company, would you please help us out by ...) or an order (you will provide this information under penalty of law xxx.2) ?

It’s a Court Order from a Federal District Court, signed by a Judge after presentation of probable cause.

IME such orders are pursuant to the Stored communications act. Usually section 2703(d) of the act. Such orders are common.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stored_Communications_Act

There are lots of fudds and gun conspiracy theorists running their sucks about this all over so your confusion is understandable.

My question is this:

IME Section 2705(b) of the stored communications act (18 U.S.C. § 2705(b)) also provides for non disclosure orders, which direct the recipient of a 2703(d) order to refrain from disclosing the existence of the order or investigation.

So is this public because some one forgot to obtain or serve the non disclosure order or did someone at Apple or Google leak it because they thought the woke /SJW thing out weighed federal contempt charges against them and their company ?

UNK
09-08-2019, 05:31 AM
It’s a Court Order from a Federal District Court, signed by a Judge after presentation of probable cause.

IME such orders are pursuant to the Stored communications act. Usually section 2703(d) of the act. Such orders are common.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stored_Communications_Act

There are lots of fudds and gun conspiracy theorists running their sucks about this all over so your confusion is understandable.

My question is this:

IME Section 2705(b) of the stored communications act (18 U.S.C. § 2705(b)) also provides for non disclosure orders, which direct the recipient of a 2703(d) order to refrain from disclosing the existence of the order or investigation.

So is this public because some one forgot to obtain or serve the non disclosure order or did someone at Apple or Google leak it because they thought the woke /SJW thing out weighed federal contempt charges against them and their company ?
Sincerely hope its the latter and the bug(s) gets smashed.

5pins
09-08-2019, 07:42 AM
As long as they don't start asking for info from the kink app I'm not worried.

Chance
09-08-2019, 08:31 AM

From Forbes (https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2019/09/06/exclusive-feds-demand-apple-and-google-hand-over-names-of-10000-users-of-a-gun-scope-app/):

The order was supposed to have been sealed, but Forbes obtained it before the document was hidden from public view.

HCM
09-08-2019, 12:27 PM
From Forbes (https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2019/09/06/exclusive-feds-demand-apple-and-google-hand-over-names-of-10000-users-of-a-gun-scope-app/):

That doesn’t really tell me anything. It implies the order was leaked before the orders were signed, possibly from the court house.

Of course that assumes Forbes isn’t lying to protect their source.

whomever
09-08-2019, 01:06 PM
"That doesn’t really tell me anything. It implies the order was leaked before the orders were signed, possibly from the court house."

Another possibility is that it got posted on PACER or somewhere like that without being tagged as sealed. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

HCM
09-08-2019, 02:09 PM
"That doesn’t really tell me anything. It implies the order was leaked before the orders were signed, possibly from the court house."

Another possibility is that it got posted on PACER or somewhere like that without being tagged as sealed. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Nothing gets posted to PACER till it’s signed by the judge and the “seal” markings are normally applied before that, usually when the case number is assigned.

If it went to PACER it was either a gross error in which a sealed document was posted or it was intentional.

TheRoland
09-08-2019, 02:47 PM
If it went to PACER it was either a gross error in which a sealed document was posted or it was intentional.

It might be a gross error, but failing to properly seal documents before they appear on PACER is pretty common.

Totem Polar
09-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Bro, Jody’s junk can be linked to any P-F topic in history, active or dead, by less than 6 degrees of separation. Fact.

Of course, the same thing can be said of a platypus, a Beretta 34/35, or AOC, so...

Borderland
09-08-2019, 03:32 PM

I think I've seen some of your videos. ;)