PDA

View Full Version : Happy and fun open carry discussion!

corneileous
09-04-2019, 09:30 AM
So what handgun rounds they quitting selling?

As far as the asking of everybody to not carry open, I guess I kinda see where they’re coming from since so many people are afraid of someone carrying a gun. I don’t open carry (for obvious reasons) so I’m not too concerned with that part, anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trooper224
09-04-2019, 09:45 AM
So what handgun rounds they quitting selling?

As far as the asking of everybody to not carry open, I guess I kinda see where they’re coming from since so many people are afraid of someone carrying a gun. I don’t open carry (for obvious reasons) so I’m not too concerned with that part, anyways.

I'm afraid when I see an open carrier, because retarded people shouldn't handle firearms.

Trooper224
09-04-2019, 10:09 AM
Totally not the answer I was expecting and yes- I do agree to an extent but how do you know every open-carrier is a retarded person who shouldn’t handle firearms?....lol.

Or are you just saying anyone who open carry’s is retarded?....[emoji3166]

Anyone who practices open carry, anywhere other than the farm or the ranch, is so fucking butt crack stupid they shouldn't be around sharp objects let alone firearms.

Clear enough?

corneileous
09-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Anyone who practices open carry, anywhere other than the farm or the ranch, is so fucking butt crack stupid they shouldn't be around sharp objects let alone firearms.

Clear enough?

This said- coming from a police officer who- open carries...[emoji41]

But yes- for the most part, I agree. I mean, there are both pros... and cons to each method of carry but in my opinion- and probably most likely in yours as well, that open carrying requires far too much sharpened situational awareness that probably most people lack. Even if you are just standing in a line at the 7/11 waiting to pay for your gas, or your soda pop, and someone walks in with intentions to hold up the place, there’s a good chance you’re probably gonna wind up with the first bullet because you are already labeled as a threat. Somebody could walk up behind you and yank your pistol out of its holster if they are quick enough if that was just the one and only second you weren’t paying attention- or there could be multiple people who wrestle you down and take it from you that way and use it on you.

For the most part I agree with you because there’s so many people who do it simply just to piss off the libs and make a political statement. I don’t open carry primarily because with open carry, there’s a lot less places you can’t carry within...[emoji6]

Nobody needs to know I’m packin’ until it’s time to reveal it.

Guerrero
09-04-2019, 10:31 AM

Clear enough?

Assuming you support the right to be stupid in this case, as well as things like hunting and emergency situations, agreed.

Trooper224
09-04-2019, 11:12 AM
This said- coming from a police officer who- open carries...[emoji41]

Attempting to equate a uniformed police officer with a citizen who openly carries a firearm is a strawman argument, better suited for the short school bus than this forum.

Trooper224
09-04-2019, 11:14 AM
Assuming you support the right to be stupid in this case, as well as things like hunting and emergency situations, agreed.

Of course.

People have the right to pack heat like rainman. I also have the right to tell them they're a fucking idiot for doing so.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 01:17 PM
A uniformed LEO is required to openly carry a firearm. This sole fact takes that position out of relevance for this discussion. If you can't see that, or, if you refuse to acknowledge that lack of correlation we really have nothing else to discuss on that matter.
Yes, I do realize that it is required and yes, I do realize it is part of the uniform. I was just more/less asking for clarification.

I'm not going to waste my time by again laying out the various and sundry reasons why I think open carry is a bad idea, from any of the various positions of tactics, security and social responsibility. On that point the search function is your friend.

So, I need to use the search function just to ask why you think it’s a bad idea?...lol.

Trust me, I don’t you to tell me the differences- and the pros and cons to each method of carry and I certainly don’t need the search feature of this site or any gun forum to tell me that. I’ve been on gun forums a lot and I’ve discussed this with other people more than I care to say how much. This was just purely a matter of asking if you feel this way because you’re a cop or if it’s just plain and simply personal opinion- kinda like how I do when I stated I felt the same way you do about open carry.

TGS
09-04-2019, 02:07 PM
So, I need to use the search function just to ask why you think it’s a bad idea?...lol.

Yes.

You're the one who just showed up here last month.

Nobody needs to waste their time re-explaining shit to you that has already been beaten to death ad-nauseum on the forum.

That's generally how this place works. Use the search function.

vcdgrips
09-04-2019, 02:15 PM
Corn...

Re open carry

1. On your ranch/land etc or otherwise in lawful pursuit of game-ok
2. Uniformed personnel required as a condition of their job-ok (presuming a retention holster)
3. Only way to legally carry a pistol because CCW is illegal-ok
4. Law enforcement personnel and security employees in the performance of their duties-ok (presuming a retention holster)

Open carry when you can CCW is not a good idea as evidenced by the fact that no reputable instructor/school recommends such behavior
to include: Gunsite, Thunder Ranch (Clint Smith), EAG ( Pat Roger, RIP) Todd Louis Green (RIP), Cumberland Tactics (Randy Cain), Rangemaster (Tom Givens)

But hey, you do you.

JHC
09-04-2019, 02:19 PM
. . . don’t think any civilian is smart enough, qualified enough or even trained enough to openly carry a firearm?

The consensus, universal as far as I can tell, among experienced and knowledgeable shooters, trainers, etc is that open carry in town/commercial areas absent some exigent circumstance is a disqualifier from being smart enough or qualified enough. I agree with that.

It is not a safe deterrent, it exposes the carrier and those surrounding them to harm from bad actors, and it is totally off-putting to most people (people who vote). Open carry in town/commercial areas is a boil on the gun community. I expect it to be lanced eventually.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Yes.

You're the one who just showed up here last month.

Nobody needs to waste their time re-explaining shit to you that has already been beaten to death ad-nauseum on the forum.

That's generally how this place works. Use the search function.

First off, nice to meet you. Second, however long I’ve been here is 100% completely irrelevant. Third, I don’t believe I was talking to you.

You know, it’s bad that enough the person I was…..talking to.....misunderstood the difference between someone asking them about the differences between the two methods of carry, and asking why it was that they... felt the way that they do... that you followed in the same exact footsteps and made the same mistake.

Again… I don’t need to search function to learn the differences and to talk about anything or read what anybody else hsd talked about, about the open carry versus concealed carry debate because that’s not what this is about.

If that’s the best you can do to offer your own input in a conversation between two other people then I would think that if that was the best I could do, I would just stay out of it.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Corn...

Re open carry

1. On your ranch/land etc or otherwise in lawful pursuit of game-ok
2. Uniformed personnel required as a condition of their job-ok (presuming a retention holster)
3. Only way to legally carry a pistol because CCW is illegal-ok
4. Law enforcement personnel and security employees in the performance of their duties-ok (presuming a retention holster)

Open carry when you can CCW is not a good idea as evidenced by the fact that no reputable instructor/school recommends such behavior
to include: Gunsite, Thunder Ranch (Clint Smith), EAG ( Pat Roger, RIP) Todd Louis Green (RIP), Cumberland Tactics (Randy Cain), Rangemaster (Tom Givens)

But hey, you do you.

Totally unnecessary post. I don’t need you to help him say what he was saying. And I certainly don’t need you to add your input about open carry versus concealed carry as I keep saying that that is totally irrelevant to this discussion and that again, that’s not what I was talking about.

TGS
09-04-2019, 02:30 PM

corneileous
09-04-2019, 02:52 PM
For some reason I cannot explain, the first rule of holes comes to mind: When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

It’s funny you say that, because all I see is one little ant that just took off in one direction and then all the sudden all the rest of the ants behind him just started following right along.

I was having a simple conversation with one person that kept assuming the opposite of what I was saying, and then all the sudden everybody else felt that they had to jump in as well. And even some of them insisted on repeating the same things as the person I was originally talking to...[emoji41]

TGS
09-04-2019, 02:55 PM
It’s nothing like that. But what, after the comment you made, are you saying you didn’t expect the response you got??....lol. C’mon, now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feel free to be as douche-y as you want. Trooper224 might be a curmudgeon, but he's our curmudgeon, and you're just a douchebag interloper.

blues
09-04-2019, 03:12 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/40b7270762218fec2833ba7b7b258d1e/tenor.gif

"This is almost entertaining enough to make me forget about San Francisco for a minute!"

farscott
09-04-2019, 03:20 PM
It’s funny you say that, because all I see is one little ant that just took off in one direction and then all the sudden all the rest of the ants behind him just started following right along.

I was having a simple conversation with one person that kept assuming the opposite of what I was saying, and then all the sudden everybody else felt that they had to jump in as well. And even some of them insisted on repeating the same things as the person I was originally talking to...[emoji41]

Sir,

With all due respect, you are not having a simple conversation with one person; you are posting on a forum. You need to use the private message (PM) function to have a conversation with just selected people. But you know that since this is not your first rodeo.

blues
09-04-2019, 03:28 PM
Sir,

With all due respect, you are not having a simple conversation with one person; you are posting on a forum. You need to use the private message (PM) function to have a conversation with just selected people. But you know that since this is not your first rodeo.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a7/5a/b3/a75ab3c2d3bd074de3064a3bea6162d3.jpg

"Well then...I'll just mosey on along, shan't I?"

corneileous
09-04-2019, 03:39 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feel free to be as douche-y as you want.Trooper224 might be a curmudgeon, but he's our curmudgeon, and you're just a douchebag interloper.

Wow. I guess once you’ve been here a while, it’s OK to act like this and get away with it, huh? Hmm. But it’s nice that you’re now resorting to insults even though you came of me first with your totally useless diatribe that I still think was completely unnecessary, yet you call me being douche-y? Is that even a word?? And I really don’t care if you disapprove of my presence here or not. [emoji6]

corneileous
09-04-2019, 03:45 PM
Sir,

Thanks for the late breaking news there, Tom Brokaw but uh, this still goes back to what I said before: if that’s the best you can do at interjecting, then I would think the wise thing to do would be to just stay out of it if you can’t bring anything useful and relevant to the sub-discussion between those two people. You know.... kinda like the whole saying where it says, and I quote, “if you can’t say nothing nice, then don’t say nothing at all”....[emoji41]

corneileous
09-04-2019, 04:39 PM
One might even say it was a...uh...coterie of ants?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Now that you mention it...[emoji41]

Birds of a feather feather flock together...

WobblyPossum
09-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Members who are current and former LE and military, as well as members who are neither have all basically said the same thing about why they think open carry is stupid and the people who practice it in urban areas likely make awful decisions in other aspects of their lives too. It’s pretty obvious that Trooper224 wasn’t saying that only law enforcement officers are trained enough or smart enough to open carry. That’s something you came up with on your own. That being the case, the search function would bring up numerous threads, some very recent, that explain why open carry is generally a stupid decision for everyone who can avoid it at great lengths with much detail. His suggestion to search for them wasn’t anywhere as dickish as you’re taking it to be.

Since you’re likely going to respond to this post by telling me I am butting into a conversation between two people, I’m just going to say in advance: No, I’m not. I’m posting a public post on a public forum as part of a public conversation between many people. That’s what everyone who has posted in this thread, including yourself, is doing.

blues
09-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Members who are current and former LE and military, as well as members who are neither have all basically said the same thing about why they think open carry is stupid and the people who practice it in urban areas likely make awful decisions in other aspects of their lives too. It’s pretty obvious that Trooper224 wasn’t saying that only law enforcement officers are trained enough or smart enough to open carry. That’s something you came up with on your own. That being the case, the search function would bring up numerous threads, some very recent, that explain why open carry is generally a stupid decision for everyone who can avoid it at great lengths with much detail. His suggestion to search for them wasn’t anywhere as dickish as you’re taking it to be.

Since you’re likely going to respond to this post by telling me I am butting into a conversation between two people, I’m just going to say in advance: No, I’m not. I’m posting a public post on a public forum as part of a public conversation between many people. That’s what everyone who has posted in this thread, including yourself, is doing.

...as a public service announcement.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Members who are current and former LE and military, as well as members who are neither have all basically said the same thing about why they think open carry is stupid and the people who practice it in urban areas likely make awful decisions in other aspects of their lives too.

It’s just a small handful of people that’s posted to this thread today...lol

But yes, I agree right along beside them- even said that several times so once more I’m trying to figure out why there just had to be another mere mention of it....again.

It’s pretty obvious that Trooper224 wasn’t saying that only law enforcement officers are trained enough or smart enough to open carry.

I never actually said he did, but I did ask about his stance towards it if that was him saying that or if it was the cop in him saying it. But once again, I think that bridge has been crossed so why the u-turn?

That’s something you came up with on your own.
I just simply asked. Go back up and read my post 94 and 100 and you’ll see where I asked just that.

That being the case....

Again, how is that the case??? it’s already been said by me once before that I was not asking for the details of any.... open carry vs concealed carry arguments...lol. I wasn’t asking why he was opposed to it, i was just simply asking on what basis was.... he opposed to it, gee whiz.

...the search function would bring up numerous threads, some very recent, that explain why open carry is generally a stupid decision for everyone who can avoid it at great lengths with much detail. His suggestion to search for them wasn’t anywhere as dickish as you’re taking it to be.
*SMDH*..... His suggestion to search them was not really dick-ish as you put it, just completely unnecessary, JUST AS YOU’RE DOING IT NOW.

And excuse me for sounding a bit dick-ish at the time because again, I didn’t then, and certainly didn’t need to be again.... referred to a very irrelevant bunch of senseless and most likely mind-numbing arguments between the concealed carrier and the open carrier.

Since you’re likely going to respond to this post...
Well, you didn’t really make it very hard to not to, now did you? You pretty much just regurgitated what most everyone else has already said.

....by telling me I am butting into a conversation between two people, I’m just going to say in advance: No, I’m not. I’m posting a public post on a public forum as part of a public conversation between many people. That’s what everyone who has posted in this thread, including yourself, is doing.
Well, other than just pretty much repeating what most everybody else has said, at least your post has more merit than the first post TGS made a while back.

There’s nothing wrong with interjection if you’re at least going to say something half-assed productive.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 07:43 PM
...as a public service announcement.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sorry. Since most of this is just a regurgitation of other comments, I have a hard time taking it as serious as that.

WobblyPossum
09-04-2019, 10:14 PM
Again, how is that the case??? it’s already been said by me once before that I was not asking for the details of any.... open carry vs concealed carry arguments...lol. I wasn’t asking why he was opposed to it, i was just simply asking on what basis was.... he opposed to it, gee whiz.

Maybe the confusion stems from the fact that “why” and “on what basis” are essentially the same question worded differently. You keep asking the same question so everyone responds with the same answer. The answer to your question is a list of why open carrying is dumb.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 10:47 PM
Maybe the confusion stems from the fact that “why” and “on what basis” are essentially the same question worded differently. You keep asking the same question so everyone responds with the same answer. The answer to your question is a list of why open carrying is dumb.

I take it you didn’t read those two posts of mine I referred you to, did you? Because if you had, then there really shouldn’t be any confusion as to what I was really asking at first, and really, the only person I was originally talking to could answer it but I don’t think I’ve yet to get an official answer due to everyone else bulging in but, I think it’s pretty safe to say that this particular person is not necessarily saying you have to be a cop in order to not be seen as a “retarded butt-crack”.

Are we clear now?

And for the umpteenth time, I’m not asking ANYBODY why open carry is dumb. I don’t need anybody to tell me why that is what it is so why on God’s green earth would I ask a question that I already have a pretty good knowledge of in the first place?? I’m starting to wonder about some of you guys.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 11:10 PM
What the over/under on the ragequit?

Probably not too good.

Cypher
09-05-2019, 07:15 AM
And again, this means what? What’s the purpose of highlighting the length of how long someone has been member to a forum? So many people do it and it like they think it’s a person’s first rodeo.

That may be but it seems to me like you’re implying that I really like to talk about this subject and if you are, you’re wrong because what I said initially meant was that I have talked about this a lot in the past and I don’t care to talk about it anymore because it’s a deadhorse that’s been beaten to a pulp but once again,
that conversation is not nowhere what i wish to talk about.

A word of caution man. This isn't USAcarry, these people don't tolerate bullshit.

This forum is composed primarily of Industry professionals, legal professionals, name professional trainers, police officers ( everything from Andy Taylor to sworn Federal officers), military including door kickers. Competitive shooters and people who take their training very seriously.

There are a lot of people on this forum with some real been-there-done-that credentials. You would be well served to shut up and listen to them as opposed to going out of your way to make enemies.

YMMV

Jay Cunningham
09-05-2019, 07:29 AM
Good stuff. Open carry thread and I think a .45 vs. 9mm thread over yonder.

Look: I'm stupid, too. No doubt about that.

Cypher
09-05-2019, 07:47 AM
I am honestly conflicted on the open carry issue. I have no use for it and I have no intention of ever doing it again.

With the obvious exception of people who are required by their job to open carry I have never seen anyone open carry who wasn't doing it to be in your face or making a political statement.

I am convinced the biggest reason that Walmart banned open carry is because of the idiot in Springfield Missouri who showed up at Walmart 5 days after the mass shooting in El Paso to do an "open carry audit". I am absolutely positive that many more businesses are going to follow suit with Walmart and Kroger's and even if it's not illegal there will end up being a de facto ban on open carry because no place will permit it.

Having said all that, I really believe that the other side's goal is total civilian disarmament and no matter what we concede they'll just move on to the next thing and try to get it banned. So I don't think we should give them an inch I think we should make them fight for everything they get.

corneileous
09-05-2019, 07:56 AM
A word of caution man. This isn't USAcarry, these people don't tolerate bullshit.
Do I know you?? I realize this isn’t USAcarry, that place is a joke. I would hope this place isn’t like that place. I hardly go to that place anymore because of what it’s turned into but why are you attacking me?

This forum is composed primarily of Industry professionals, legal professionals, name professional trainers, police officers ( everything from Andy Taylor to sworn Federal officers), military including door kickers. Competitive shooters and people who take their training very seriously.

There are a lot of people on this forum with some real been-there-done-that credentials.
Good. Sounds like it could be a great place to hang out and learn something.

You would be well served to shut up and listen to them as opposed to going out of your way to make enemies.

YMMV

Lol... just how you chose to word that, is what I’m laughing at.

But uh, out of the people I’ve had the pleasure... of conversing with yesterday- I have no idea which of them [if any] are part of the group you talked about in your second [quote] but um, if they are exactly that, what gives them the right to talk to people like that?? I don’t know how your book’s written but in my book, acting like that just because you have a lot to contribute, isn’t a free pass to be a dick. If you are/we’re part of that other forum you mentioned then you should know exactly what I’m talking about.

But no, you’re wrong. And this is a great example of why you shouldn’t assume because I’m not out to make enemies.

Grey
09-05-2019, 08:11 AM
Mods are shit, how is this not locked and banned already...?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
09-05-2019, 08:11 AM
Can we maybe just drop it at this point?

Fuck me, but we get it. Let's all just chalk it up to a misunderstanding, realize that discussion forums lead to discussions, and move on.

LittleLebowski
09-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Works for me.