PDA

View Full Version : Camille Paglia being charged with thought crimes

LittleLebowski
09-04-2019, 07:22 AM
I really admire her, I expect she'll handle this just fine.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/camille-paglia-uarts-left-deplatform/587125/

blues
09-04-2019, 08:13 AM
The surprise is that this is no surprise. She seems like she's more than up to the task. It'll be a crime if she doesn't prevail.

hufnagel
09-04-2019, 08:15 AM
Students interviewed on campus said they were more motivated to read the book because the controversy has provoked so much discussion. “When someone tells you not to read something, I suppose that makes you all the more curious to see what all the fuss is about,” said one incoming freshman woman. “I agreed with some things in the book and disagree with others, but I certainly think I am capable of understanding it and discussing its meaning. It’s pretty condescending for a professor to think that freshmen aren’t capable of that …”

The president of the student government, Colleen Shanley, added: “Now that I’ve started reading the book, I can’t see why people have been opposed to it. But I feel that it’s when people don’t talk about something that it can become really dangerous. I may not agree with the book’s content, but we should not be removing books from reading lists because don’t agree with them.”

https://media1.tenor.com/images/4367507df6301eb1fc094734d0452348/tenor.gif?itemid=3538467

And a small spark of sanity emerges, from the mouths of educational babes. Please don't let that glimmer of hope, that the future generations aren't as fucking stupid as the past ones, die.

csheehy
09-04-2019, 08:24 AM
To the battle of wits, CP's enemies come unarmed.

hufnagel
09-04-2019, 08:25 AM
While I'm loathe to suggest it, something might need to be done about this fire alarm pulling bullshit. I want to suggest perhaps security cameras positioned/pointed so as to record the individual in question, or deploying alarms that spray the puller with a non-washable tagging dye, but I recognize the slippery slope that's on. Or maybe it's not so slippery. I'd like to hear thoughts on this.

csheehy
09-04-2019, 08:29 AM
I should have checked the date on the article...elsewhere I've read that this has been settled. Her college Pres slapped her critics upside their heads and told them to go pound sand.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/04/17/university-arts-rejects-calls-fire-camille-paglia

OlongJohnson
09-04-2019, 08:54 AM
Deleted.

okie john
09-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Heh. Anyone who comes for CP on intellectual grounds best bring a lunch.

Okie John

Chance
09-04-2019, 11:58 AM
A case of tenure actually working like it was intended.

Totem Polar
09-04-2019, 12:28 PM
This:

RevolverRob
09-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Every once in a great while (twice in ten years so far) my students piss me off with stuff like this. When it happens I make them read the 1940 Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure from AAUP - https://www.aaup.org/report/1940-statement-principles-academic-freedom-and-tenure

Then I force them to debate it, by taking sides and picking a controversial topic like - eugenics - to discuss.

Forcing them to wear those shoes and walk a mile tends to clear that shit right up.

Like when I was a kid and I didn't want to clean my room, my dad would make me go mow the lawn (which I hated more). Pretty soon you realize, maybe your stupid thoughts are stupid and you should think before acting or speaking.

Just realized - Science Communication and Academic Ethics will be two go-to courses in the future.

blues
09-04-2019, 02:41 PM
This:

I'm not so sure that even the establishment is that bad, at least the one we've been born and raised in.

(Though the McCarthy era probably ranks right up there and I guess I was around at the tail end.)

There was plenty of head knockin' going on when I was coming up, but you can't argue that everyone didn't get their say.

Baldanders
09-04-2019, 06:30 PM
A case of tenure actually working like it was intended.

Too bad it is nearly extinct. (Mostly because conservatives hated it and still do, and bean counters really hate it) As the article points out, most of her colleagues would've been crushed under similar pressure.

Between consumerist universities and Woke capitalism, where will be the safe refuge for free thought?

The more "deplatforming" is tied to "censorship," the better off we will be.

Cypher
09-05-2019, 08:48 AM
While I'm loathe to suggest it, something might need to be done about this fire alarm pulling bullshit. I want to suggest perhaps security cameras positioned/pointed so as to record the individual in question, or deploying alarms that spray the puller with a non-washable tagging dye, but I recognize the slippery slope that's on. Or maybe it's not so slippery. I'd like to hear thoughts on this.

Newer fire alarms actually have a vial of dye built right into the handle. It dyes your hand purple when you pull the alarm

hufnagel
09-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Newer fire alarms actually have a vial of dye built right into the handle. It dyes your hand purple when you pull the alarm

I thought that was the case for quite a while, but I guess not all have been changed out yet?

Cypher
09-05-2019, 04:18 PM
I thought that was the case for quite a while, but I guess not all have been changed out yet?

I remember seeing it on the fire alarms in my high school back in the early 80s.

Clusterfrack
09-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Too bad it is nearly extinct. (Mostly because conservatives hated it and still do, and bean counters really hate it) As the article points out, most of her colleagues would've been crushed under similar pressure.

Tenure is alive and well at all the top universities. At least in the STEM fields, tenure is one of the reasons we settle for lower salaries in academia vs industry or national labs.

Bergeron
09-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Higher education is a critical element of culture and society. Here from the STEM seats, it seems the liberal arts are in the highest current need of tenure. I want art professors to grow, develop, and push the boundaries of art just as intensely as I want it to happen in STEM and in business.

Everyone at the university setting should be presumed to be an adult, and to encounter expressions of culture and society that include sex, religion, politics, economics, art, etc, etc. Those unequipped, unprepared, and unwilling should exit the scene to make more room for their betters.