PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Board of Supervisors designates NRA domestic terrorist organization

HCM
09-04-2019, 02:23 AM
San Francisco Board of Supervisors designates NRA domestic terrorist organization

http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-news/san-francisco-board-of-supervisors-designates-nra-domestic-terrorist-organization?fbclid=IwAR0XaBBfBH-Mr2orZgDFHSd0VHAeqrBnV6GMnGYN_wNi2bFI3KselKnhOTI#/

SAN FRANCISCO (KTVU) - The city of San Francisco has formally adopted a resolution calling the National Rifle Association a domestic terrorist organization.

San Francisco's Board of Supervisors on Tuesday took the step of officially declaring the nation's premier gun-ownership advocates a terrorist organization.

District 2 Supervisor Catherine Stefani wrote the scathing declaration reading in part, "the National Rifle Association spreads propaganda that misinforms and aims to deceive the public about the dangers of gun violence."

Supervisor Stefani said she doesn't want this to end with this declaration. The declaration calls on the city to reach out to other cities, states and even the federal government to adopt similar declarations.

JRB
09-04-2019, 04:36 AM
San Francisco Board of Supervisors designates NRA domestic terrorist organization

http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-news/san-francisco-board-of-supervisors-designates-nra-domestic-terrorist-organization?fbclid=IwAR0XaBBfBH-Mr2orZgDFHSd0VHAeqrBnV6GMnGYN_wNi2bFI3KselKnhOTI#/

Self-aggrandizing virtue signalling that has no basis in reality whatsoever?

Par for course in San Francisco.

Chance
09-04-2019, 04:57 AM
I suspect other cities will follow.

RoyGBiv
09-04-2019, 06:41 AM
So, as a Benefactor Life member, would I be arrested and jailed if I change planes in SFO?

That would be entertaining.

LittleLebowski
09-04-2019, 06:47 AM
That city honestly should secede.

CCT125US
09-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Curious what actual weight this has.

ETA: For example, would an NRA instructor be designated as a trainer of terrorism? That would seem to be an interesting situation.

Duke
09-04-2019, 07:10 AM
Terrorism is letting drugged up homeless people shit all over the place and doing nothing to stop it.

Jhp147
09-04-2019, 07:18 AM
Terrorism is letting drugged up homeless people shit all over the place and doing nothing to stop it.e
Oh God, yes. Was just out there a couple of months back. NEVER to return. People just walk the sidewalks (or ride skateboards or other wheeled vehicles) and just ignore, step over, or go around humans, human waste, and whatever else covers the sidewalk. They are just adjusted to living in a third world country with really nice buildings. Or, they move to Austin and bring their disastrous policies with them.
I haven't been sending the NRA any money, but if those rejects in SF are this aggravated by them, check is in the mail today.

OlongJohnson
09-04-2019, 07:25 AM
Cultural cleansing in action.

csheehy
09-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Victor Davis Hanson said it best all the way back in 2011:

"It is a human trait to focus on cheap and lofty rhetoric rather than costly, earthy reality. It is a bureaucratic characteristic to rail against the trifling misdemeanor rather than address the often-dangerous felony. And it is political habit to mask one’s own failures by lecturing others on their supposed shortcomings. Ambitious elected officials often manage to do all three.

The result in these hard times is that our elected sheriffs, mayors, and governors are loudly weighing in on national and global challenges that are quite often out of their own jurisdiction, while ignoring or failing to solve the very problems that they were elected to address.

Quite simply, the next time your elected local or state official holds a press conference about global warming, the Middle East, or the national political climate, expect to experience poor county law enforcement, bad municipal services, or regional insolvency."

Just add: feces-strewn streets, laden with discarded hypodermic needles and 18th century diseases to bring it up to date...

blues
09-04-2019, 08:30 AM
It's pathetic to the point of being laughable...

...but it is a harbinger of the culture war to come in our midst.

Zincwarrior
09-04-2019, 08:30 AM

I am confused. Is this is a bad thing or a badge of honor? :cool:

JAD
09-04-2019, 08:35 AM

Then we can invade it, and occupy Fred’s Grill in Sausalito. Best pancakes.

Drifting Fate
09-04-2019, 08:39 AM
It's pathetic to the point of being laughable...

...but it is a harbinger of the culture war to come in our midst.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

If the left is willing to do this to the millions of members of the country's oldest civil rights organization, what aren't they willing to do to this land? I can hear the box cars rumbling at the same time as they want to pry the rifles from our hands.

It used to be that the tuned-in person was worried what the world would be like for their children. Now, it's either that I'm older than I think, or those days have come a whole lot sooner than was expected.

By itself, this is a lunatic statement from an insane city. In the broader view, it bodes ill for what is to come.

blues
09-04-2019, 08:49 AM
Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

If the left is willing to do this to the millions of members of the country's oldest civil rights organization, what aren't they willing to do to this land? I can hear the box cars rumbling at the same time as they want to pry the rifles from our hands.

It used to be that the tuned-in person was worried what the world would be like for their children. Now, it's either that I'm older than I think, or those days have come a whole lot sooner than was expected.

By itself, this is a lunatic statement from an insane city. In the broader view, it bodes ill for what is to come.

It seems that job one is keeping those who would silence the critics, and employ "my way or the highway" out of office...and preventing them from having the means to enforce their will upon us.

Time for everyone to take five minutes and read "Harrison Bergeron" (http://www.tnellen.com/westside/harrison.pdf) again, or more importantly, for the first time.

Vonnegut was prescient.

csheehy
09-04-2019, 09:16 AM
This^^^

Greg
09-04-2019, 09:26 AM
I've never been there and I can't think of any reason to go.

Actually, I can think of many reasons to NOT go there.

RoyGBiv
09-04-2019, 09:38 AM
I've never been there and I can't think of any reason to go.

Actually, I can think of many reasons to NOT go there.

SFO used to be a neat place, other than the gun laws. Great food (Chinatown!, J-Town, Little Italy), great wine, beautiful architecture and sights, interesting culture, weird but good weather, easy drive to many other interesting, fun places. I spent a lot of time in Palo Alto back in the day.

It's tragic what's happened to a once-great city.

HCM
09-04-2019, 09:48 AM
I am confused. Is this is a bad thing or a badge of honor? :cool:

Austin will follow soon like they did with letting the homeless camp and shit where ever they want so you can let us know.....

BillSWPA
09-04-2019, 10:14 AM
There was a time when liberals defended the first amendment (even if their version was a bit distorted) rather than simply ignoring it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trooper224
09-04-2019, 10:17 AM
We need a wall around California as much, if not more, than we need one at the southern border.

blues
09-04-2019, 10:19 AM
There was a time when liberals defended the first amendment (even if their version was a bit distorted) rather than simply ignoring it.

There was a time when liberals were liberals.

blues
09-04-2019, 10:20 AM
We need a wall around California as much, if not more, than we need one at the southern border.

At the rate things are going, Mexico might have us pay them to take it back.

blues
09-04-2019, 10:39 AM

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2019/03/RTSJXD7/lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1553698710

"Mexico, if you're listening..."

Totem Polar
09-04-2019, 10:54 AM
SFO used to be a neat place, other than the gun laws. Great food (Chinatown!, J-Town, Little Italy), great wine, beautiful architecture and sights, interesting culture, weird but good weather, easy drive to many other interesting, fun places. I spent a lot of time in Palo Alto back in the day.

It's tragic what's happened to a once-great city.

Plus, they’re taking other emerald, west coast gems with them down the rabbit shit hole.

blues
09-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Plus, they’re taking other emerald, west coast gems with them down the rabbit shit hole.

Another lifetime ago it was my favorite city in America. Hard to imagine that the city I once knew and enjoyed so much is no more.

Suvorov
09-04-2019, 11:02 AM
This really pisses me off.

I've bored arms in service of my nation for my entire adult life. I have always stood for the anthem and the pledge of allegiance. I love my country and the principles it was founded on. Now I am a terrorist in the eyes of the primary city by which I live?

I hope SF reaps a whirlwind from this act.

Trooper224
09-04-2019, 11:22 AM

I wonder if Mexico would be that stupid?

Recently, I was talking with a friend from California, a native Californian. He stated they were thinking of relocating for all of the usual reasons. I told him, if he wanted to do that to be sure he left any left leaning ideologies he possessed out there. The rest of us are getting tired of the Cali cancer infecting the rest of the country. I haven't heard from him since.

I look to the west to Colorado and remember what it used to be like and what it is now. We were down in Ft. Worth this weekend catching up with some close friends. Every time I go to Texas it reminds me more and more of living out in Southern California. For years I've told the same friends that Texas is becoming California South. For years they thought I was crazy, they're listening now.

Rex G
09-04-2019, 11:33 AM

Why wait for them to secede? Build a wall, and grant them their independence.

Rex G
09-04-2019, 11:47 AM
I look to the west to Colorado and remember what it used to be like and what it is now. We were down in Ft. Worth this weekend catching up with some close friends. Every time I go to Texas it reminds me more and more of living out in Southern California. For years I've told the same friends that Texas is becoming California South. For years they thought I was crazy, they're listening now.

The biggest domino in Texas, Harris County, has already fallen, in the so-called blue wave, of 2018. A 26-year-old sock puppet won County Judge in the last election. In Texas, THE County Judge presides over the County Commissioner’s Court, and in some ways, is the single most powerful person in a county, and because of Harris County’s size, in both population and land area, this is a significant regional power. (Most of Houston lies within Harris County. There is a Houston County, but it is geographically separate from the area of the city of Houston.)

I am trying to acquire the last piece of my great-grandparents’ farm, that is still in the family. It is in Liberty County; I like the sound of that. It will not be far enough, from Houston, forever, but may suffice, for my lifetime.

LittleLebowski
09-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Then we can invade it, and occupy Fred’s Grill in Sausalito. Best pancakes.

There's some good pancakes in Wyoming, just saying...

Guerrero
09-04-2019, 11:51 AM

ETA: For example, would an NRA instructor be designated as a trainer of terrorism? That would seem to be an interesting situation.

"The resolution (https://www.nationalreview.com/news/san-francisco-labels-nra-a-domestic-terrorism-organization/) also declares the Board’s intent to 'limit those entities who do business with the City and County of San Francisco from doing business with this domestic terrorist organization.'"

JAD

I am not going to stand by while we abandon perfectly good pancakes to a bunch of stinky hippies. That’s not an America I want to live in.

AMC

We did. From reality. Long ago....

blues
09-04-2019, 11:54 AM

With the wind maybe they should focus on "flying burritos", brother. ;)

Guerrero
09-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Seems like this would be a potential freedom of association/speech issue.

HCM
09-04-2019, 11:59 AM
I am not going to stand by while we abandon perfectly good pancakes to a bunch of stinky hippies. That’s not an America I want to live in.

Ole’s Waffle House in Alameda is better and the city can be observed from there during the siege ... I mean since we seem to be inching into civil war may as well stake out the good positions now.

HCM
09-04-2019, 12:00 PM

Yup - why do you think there is no federal mechanism for designation of domestic terrorism groups mirroring the one for foreign groups ?

But hey Commies don’t care about the constitution.

Suvorov
09-04-2019, 12:03 PM
But hey Commies don’t care about the constitution.

As succinctly said as can be.

RoyGBiv
09-04-2019, 12:04 PM

It's already being litigated in NY.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/04/nyregion/nra-broke-financial-lawsuit.html

Lex Luthier
09-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Ole’s Waffle House in Alameda is better and the city can be observed from there during the siege ... I mean since we seem to be inching into civil war may as well stake out the good positions now.

I have a couple good friends a few blocks from Ole's.
They live on a corner and their Victorian has good defilade views. Plus they are both versed in doping the wind with their SMLEs. Good Brewers of coffee, also.

Totem Polar
09-04-2019, 12:13 PM

I've bored arms in service of my nation for my entire adult life. I have always stood for the anthem and the pledge of allegiance. I love my country and the principles it was founded on. Now I am a terrorist in the eyes of the primary city by which I live?

That is a drag, buddy. Sorry it’s come to this.

CCT125US
09-04-2019, 12:19 PM
"The resolution (https://www.nationalreview.com/news/san-francisco-labels-nra-a-domestic-terrorism-organization/) also declares the Board’s intent to 'limit those entities who do business with the City and County of San Francisco from doing business with this domestic terrorist organization.'"

Wow, this could be twisted in so many ways, in my opinion. Grounds for termination, steering of contracts, etc..

TGS
09-04-2019, 12:20 PM
We did. From reality. Long ago....

How much longer until you can punch that timecard the last time?

Clusterfrack
09-04-2019, 12:34 PM

Wow. Unbelievable--well actually totally believable.

With Trump spreading harmful disinformation on the right, and these clowns doing the same on the left, hopefully the country will come to its senses and elect reasonable, intelligent leaders who value the constitution and the rule of law. But where are these people? I miss President George HW Bush.

HCountyGuy
09-04-2019, 12:41 PM
So when are all the freedom-loving militia groups claiming to be training to fight tyrannical government going to descend on San Fran? Declaring a group like the NRA, as dysfunctional as it may be currently, and its members as terrorists is near a declaration of war as one is likely to get short of an official one.

Lots of proverbial cuts against gun owners lately, and it’s unlikely to get any better especially with Congress getting back in session with a serious hard-on to pass gun control legislation.

RevolverRob
09-04-2019, 12:49 PM
Everyone chill -

It does not mean a thing if the body that makes the statement has no means to enforce it.

Perfect personification of slacktivism at work. It's now reached the point where the actual elected/appointed leaders don't know how to fix anything that is broken. They just know how to tweet and hashtag.

HopetonBrown
09-04-2019, 12:52 PM
She's the supervisor for my neighborhood.

I wish she'd spend her time trying to unseat us from the no 1 property crime capital of the US title instead of meaningless proclamations.

AMC
09-04-2019, 02:05 PM
How much longer until you can punch that timecard the last time?

Two years and change. Cant wait.

Regarding this insanity....and that's what it is...I am troubled by the political left's further descent into madness. I have lefty relatives who believe preposterous, provably false nonsense about Trump, Republicans, etc. And they get frothing at the mouth enraged during discussions of current events and issues. Voltaire's admonition becomes more and more relevant every day....about those who can make you believe absurdity, can make you commit atrocity.

cheby
09-04-2019, 02:18 PM

... hopefully the country will come to its senses and elect reasonable, intelligent leaders who value the constitution and the rule of law. But where are these people? I miss President George HW Bush.

This is not going to happen. Trump didn't cause the division in America, it caused him. The left would demonize any and all Republican candidates as they did before Trump. As I have been saying, buckle up, we are only at the beginning. It is going to get much worse.

Tabasco
09-04-2019, 02:24 PM
Two years and change. Cant wait.

Regarding this insanity....and that's what it is...I am troubled by the political left's further descent into madness. I have lefty relatives who believe preposterous, provably false nonsense about Trump, Republicans, etc. And they get frothing at the mouth enraged during discussions of current events and issues. Voltaire's admonition becomes more and more relevant every day....about those who can make you believe absurdity, can make you commit atrocity.

Here's an article which reflects on the passions you mentioned:

https://geopoliticalfutures.com/george-friedmans-thoughts-the-problem-with-passion/

GPF is a subscription site, but you get 2 free articles per month. I subscribed a few months ago, and really like George Friedmans' writing, along with their news analysis FWIW.

My favorite quote:

"There are those who love passion. For many, life without lurid colors and lurking monsters is bland and boring. Make no mistake, there are monsters that stalk the world and must be defeated. But the urgent need to have monsters, which itself often creates them, makes it impossible to see the real monsters, who thrive as we hurl ourselves against irritants that we have reinvented, making them vastly more important than they are. But that is the nature of the passionate."

JRB
09-04-2019, 02:26 PM

I hope SF reaps a whirlwind from this act.

...For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot...

I feel you my friend. My own Mother, in her lefty Facebook hugbox of fellow retired teachers, saw fit to post a diatribe on why it's okay to kneel for the Star Spangled Banner... two days after I deployed about a month ago. It's been a struggle to talk to her since.

CS Tactical
09-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Imagine being an NRA member shopping at a Walmart in San Francisco...

Suvorov
09-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Imagine being an NRA member shopping at a Walmart in San Francisco...

Of course WalMart is not allowed in SF despite their virtue signaling.

CS Tactical
09-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Of course WalMart is not allowed in SF despite their virtue signaling.

They'll probably be invited now...

TGS
09-04-2019, 02:57 PM
They'll probably be invited now...

Not quite yet......first they need to fire the white man CEO and hire the purple haired social justice warrior chick from Episode 8 that ruined Star Wars.

Suvorov
09-04-2019, 02:58 PM
For some reason this lyric has been sticking in my mind as of late:

Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint

OlongJohnson
09-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Wow, this could be twisted in so many ways, in my opinion. Grounds for termination, steering of contracts, etc..

This.

It's not virtue signaling, it's economic war. SF now has some legal basis, however shaky, for canceling any financial relations with anyone who is in any way connected with the NRA. And frankly, it's not the NRA they really hate, it's conservatives and conservatism in general. The NRA is just a fairly effective proxy net that will catch many they seek.

They are doing to the right what Western nations are doing to North Korea and Iran.

I'd eat some popcorn to see any and all manufacturers and distributors of arms and ammo with any ties to the NRA simply cut off SF. IANAL, but breech of contract vs. being declared terrorists would be an interesting court battle.

blues
09-04-2019, 03:03 PM

With Trump spreading harmful disinformation on the right, and these clowns doing the same on the left, hopefully the country will come to its senses and elect reasonable, intelligent leaders who value the constitution and the rule of law. But where are these people? I miss President George HW Bush.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4fTl-2YzZMI/hqdefault.jpg

"Finally! Now I can rest in peace."

RevolverRob
09-04-2019, 03:54 PM
I’d love to see SF attempt to backup their talk by actually canceling contracts with people who associate with this “domestic terrorist” group. I see that ending poorly for them. Like slapped hard by SCOTUS for violation of free speech poorly.

TheNewbie
09-04-2019, 04:04 PM
This is leftism. It’s the greatest threat our country has faced in a long time, possibly ever.

Trump fights the greatest current threat, but because he doesn’t do it perfectly or with class (he makes me cringe too), people shit on him.

I am not optimistic about the future. Not because there are leftists, but because many non leftists can’t see the obvious threat and don’t understand how to battle it with the current options.

Chemsoldier
09-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Who is really surprised?

"As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire..."
-From, "The Gods of the Copybook Headings" by Rudyard Kipling

cheby
09-04-2019, 04:16 PM
I’d love to see SF attempt to backup their talk by actually canceling contracts with people who associate with this “domestic terrorist” group. I see that ending poorly for them. Like slapped hard by SCOTUS for violation of free speech poorly.

This could take like 10 years assuming the SCOTUS still means what it does today

Arbninftry
09-04-2019, 04:19 PM
I am actually a freedom fighter. San Fran can kiss my ass

JDD
09-04-2019, 04:37 PM

(Caveat: I am not a Lawyer)

The actual Federal implications are individuals who provide material support to designated terrorist organizations.

There not a mechanism to designate domestic terrorist organizations. The U.S. Secretary of State designates foreign terrorist orgs. 8 USC 1189 (https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:8%20section:1189%20edition:p relim)) and those are the organizations that most of the other counter terrorism laws then build on. You can be prosecuted for providing aid in the US (bigger issue when it was IRA type supporting activities, and some of the kurdish groups). This can also trip folks up who go to fight ISIS and join some of the militias that have additional associations...

HCM
09-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Everyone chill -

It does not mean a thing if the body that makes the statement has no means to enforce it.

They don't have the means... yet.

HCM
09-04-2019, 06:26 PM
(Caveat: I am not a Lawyer)

The actual Federal implications are individuals who provide material support to designated terrorist organizations.

There not a mechanism to designate domestic terrorist organizations. The U.S. Secretary of State designates foreign terrorist orgs. 8 USC 1189 (https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:8%20section:1189%20edition:p relim)) and those are the organizations that most of the other counter terrorism laws then build on. You can be prosecuted for providing aid in the US (bigger issue when it was IRA type supporting activities, and some of the kurdish groups). This can also trip folks up who go to fight ISIS and join some of the militias that have additional associations...

And despite the pandering of ted Cruz (who is a lawyer and should know better) you will not see a mechanism to designate domestic terrorist organizations because there isn't a way to do so that would pass constitutional muster with regard to freedom of speech and free association.

blues
09-04-2019, 06:29 PM
And despite the pandering of ted Cruz (who is a lawyer and should know better) you will not see a mechanism to designate domestic terrorist organizations because there isn't a way to do so that would pass constitutional muster with regard to freedom of speech and free association.

Alyssa Milano could have told him that. (Okay, I made that up just for some comic relief since what's his name hasn't been keeping up the rodeo.)

TAZ
09-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Every leftist organization with a contract with the city needs to be gifted an NRA membership. Then there should be a leak from the NRA regarding the hypocrisy of the Left.

Joe in PNG
09-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Let's see... in 2008 the Repubs nominated notable moderate & compromiser McCain, and he was loudly reviled as an out of touch, women & minority hating Nazi.
In 2012 the nod went to notable moderate & compromiser Romney, and he was loudly reviled as an out of touch, women & minority hating Nazi.

Is Trump that much of a surprise? Hell, the Repubs could nominate Hillary Clinton, and she would be loudly reviled as an out of touch, women & minority hating Nazi.

blues
09-04-2019, 06:36 PM
Every leftist organization with a contract with the city needs to be gifted an NRA membership. Then there should be a leak from the NRA regarding the hypocrisy of the Left.

That's LEO thinking there. Pick up a dirtbag, bring him in and release...or be seen talking with him publicly, and create the impression he's an informant. Bye-bye street cred.

Drang
09-04-2019, 06:36 PM
I see a class action lawsuit for defamation, with every single NRA member as a member of the class...

blues
09-04-2019, 06:37 PM
I see a class action lawsuit for defamation, with every single NRA member as a member of the class...

Deplorables?

FNFAN
09-04-2019, 07:01 PM
With the San Fran/ California use of statutory authority to deprive people of their Constitutional Rights and their intentional disregard for enforcement of duly enacted immigration laws, they are far closer to being a "terrorist organization," than the NRA!

"Terrorism

the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

Drang
09-04-2019, 07:30 PM

She's got a positively AOC vibe about her...

Tokarev
09-04-2019, 07:34 PM
Didn't see this posted yet.

https://youtu.be/Mz7YOIydGZg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
09-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Didn't see this posted yet.

https://youtu.be/Mz7YOIydGZg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Wow, that’s actually really good. This is the kind of stuff the NRA needed to be doing for a long time now, instead of telling us that everyone who isn’t an NRA member is basically a communist who wants to take our rights away.

Greg
09-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Eat a buffet of dicks San Francis...... Uh never mind...

Wondering Beard
09-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Oh, Sweet Saint of San Andreas, Hear Our Prayers!

;-) of course

0ddl0t
09-05-2019, 01:26 AM
It's already being litigated in NY.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/04/nyregion/nra-broke-financial-lawsuit.html

And CA:

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/24/716932727/nra-sues-over-la-law-requiring-contractors-to-disclose-ties-to-the-gun-rights-gr

Lex Luthier
09-05-2019, 08:38 AM
As a 4th generation San Franciscan, all I have to add is

A) It's been too long since there has been a
Vigilance Committee

&

B) Ambrose Bierce had called it right in 1907. Of course, he had lived there for 40 years.

"I'd never set foot in San Francisco. Of all the Sodoms and Gomorrahs in our modern world, it is the worst. There are not 10 righteous (and courageous) men there. It needs another quake, another whiff of fire—and—more than all else—a steady trade wind of grapeshot.... That moral penal colony of the world."

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914), U.S. author. Letter, June 25, 1907.

(Ah well, he'd have found most people here wanting , too.)

blues
09-05-2019, 09:02 AM

Vigilance Committee

&

B) Ambrose Bierce had called it right in 1907. Of course, he had lived there for 40 years.

"I'd never set foot in San Francisco. Of all the Sodoms and Gomorrahs in our modern world, it is the worst. There are not 10 righteous (and courageous) men there. It needs another quake, another whiff of fire—and—more than all else—a steady trade wind of grapeshot.... That moral penal colony of the world."

There's a name I haven't heard in some years. His story, "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge", is one of those classics burned into my memory.

AMC
09-05-2019, 01:12 PM

Vigilance Committee

&

4th Gen? Where'd you go?

Lex Luthier
09-05-2019, 03:41 PM
4th Gen? Where'd you go?

Now living in reasonably comfortable exile in the Twin Cities of Minnesota.
They're about *half-crazy* here, but Jack Frost keeps the
situation from getting totally out of control. ;)

Trukinjp13
09-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Did WLP take a page from the Democrats? Paid the board to alienate the NRA? Because since this whole shit show that has become the NRA, this is the most collected and supportive members have been. I have seen all sorts of shit from celebs to Joe Schmo preaching “I am the NRA” or whatever the slogan is.

AMC
09-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Now living in reasonably comfortable exile in the Twin Cities of Minnesota.
They're about *half-crazy* here, but Jack Frost keeps the
situation from getting totally out of control. ;)

Meant it in the Native SF context. Guess you left before High School?

Guerrero
09-06-2019, 11:44 AM
Even the Washington Post is against this

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/09/05/no-san-francisco-nra-is-not-domestic-terrorist-organization/

The Washington Freaking Post

ETA: it's an opinion column, but still

Stephanie B
09-06-2019, 11:52 AM
In my universe, every company that sells guns, ammunition and accouterments would refuse to do business with the City of San Francisco. A purchase order from the City would be regarded as if the purchase order had come from North Korea.

AMC
09-06-2019, 12:40 PM
In my universe, every company that sells guns, ammunition and accouterments would refuse to do business with the City of San Francisco. A purchase order from the City would be regarded as if the purchase order had come from North Korea.

Frankly, as the guy who has to write those purchase orders, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Doing business with SF has been described as "torturous" and "incoherent" by some of the vendors I've spoken to. Its onerous and difficult enough that I know some large vendors don't even bother trying. What many don't understand is that our city would probably be fine with that. Many on the BOS would be happy to take a position of "moral leadership " and field the nation's first unarmed police department, paving the way towards a bright future of restorative justice for the whole country. Our former chief floated the idea quietly several years back, and asked for volunteers. He was quite taken with the English system.

Stephanie B
09-06-2019, 01:41 PM
And there would be a public list of gun/ammo companies that did do business with SFO. Call it the Quisling List.

Clusterfrack
09-06-2019, 01:51 PM
Even the Washington Post is against this

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/09/05/no-san-francisco-nra-is-not-domestic-terrorist-organization/

The Washington Freaking Post

ETA: it's an opinion column, but still

Excellent. Most excellent piece.

Suvorov
09-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Frankly, as the guy who has to write those purchase orders, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Doing business with SF has been described as "torturous" and "incoherent" by some of the vendors I've spoken to. Its onerous and difficult enough that I know some large vendors don't even bother trying. What many don't understand is that our city would probably be fine with that. Many on the BOS would be happy to take a position of "moral leadership " and field the nation's first unarmed police department, paving the way towards a bright future of restorative justice for the whole country. Our former chief floated the idea quietly several years back, and asked for volunteers. He was quite taken with the English system.

So my knee jerk reaction is F everyone in SF. Every gun or ammo manufacturer would stop selling anything to SF and its police/sheriff departments. You guys would be without training ammo and be forced to use old guns.

Then the realization quickly comes - that the supervisors in SF would have zero problem with any of the above and the only people who suffer are the remaining non-PC agenda driven cops in the city and the citizens that depend on them for protection.

It's just a no-win situation all the way around.

I told my wife I will NOT be spending another dime in that city. She is not very sympathetic and went on and on about depriving the kids of cultural opportunities.........

I just wonder how many cops and firefighters in SF are terrorists?

blues
09-06-2019, 02:01 PM
Site of the future NRA HQ and Member Reeducation Center:

https://nextshark.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Topaz-Internment-Camp.jpg

AMC
09-06-2019, 02:23 PM
So my knee jerk reaction is F everyone in SF. Every gun or ammo manufacturer would stop selling anything to SF and its police/sheriff departments. You guys would be without training ammo and be forced to use old guns.

Then the realization quickly comes - that the supervisors in SF would have zero problem with any of the above and the only people who suffer are the remaining non-PC agenda driven cops in the city and the citizens that depend on them for protection.

It's just a no-win situation all the way around.

I told my wife I will NOT be spending another dime in that city. She is not very sympathetic and went on and on about depriving the kids of cultural opportunities.........

I just wonder how many cops and firefighters in SF are terrorists?

Quite a few. We are everywhere....

AMC
09-06-2019, 02:34 PM
And there would be a public list of gun/ammo companies that did do business with SFO. Call it the Quisling List.

It's just SF, or The City. SFO is the International Airport....which is actually in San Mateo County.

RoyGBiv
09-06-2019, 02:37 PM
It's just SF, or The City. SFO is the International Airport....which is actually in San Mateo County.

SanFranciscO ;)

SF is easier, will switch. :cool:

Suvorov
09-06-2019, 02:38 PM

But isn’t it administered by SF? The police are SFPD aren’t they? And it is the Mayor of SF and not the chief commissar of San Mateo county that welcomes everyone to SF.

Stephanie B
09-06-2019, 02:41 PM

OK. Noted.

Stephanie B
09-06-2019, 03:11 PM

Great, from Inspector Callahan to Chief Clouseau...

AMC
09-06-2019, 03:32 PM
But isn’t it administered by SF? The police are SFPD aren’t they? And it is the Mayor of SF and not the chief commissar of San Mateo county that welcomes everyone to SF.

It's a weird situation. Tied to the City, but in another county. SFO used to have it's own PD (SFIAPD)....but they merged with SFPD back in the Nineties. It's now the Airport Bureau of SFPD. But they operate under different policies, have a different report writing system, and present cases to the San Mateo County DA. Investigations are done by San Mateo Sheriffs detectives. The Airport Director is basically a Mayor of a major city....and the Airports major imperative is "Keep things moving!". Understandable.....but complicates the job of a police officer.

Amp
09-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Americans “should be worried” about San Francisco’s declaration that the National Rifle Association is a “domestic terrorist group," gun rights advocate Colion Noir told Tucker Carlson Wednesday.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/colion-noir-nra-san-francisco-terror-group