PDA

View Full Version : How Many F.A.S.Test Advanced or Better Shooters Used a Single Stack 1911

Steven C.
04-12-2012, 05:54 PM
And is there a break down of what was used somewhere?

When I took the AFHF class, I seem to recall one HK 45 DA/SA, one HK 45 LEM (Todd), two G17 Gen 3 (both RTF2 by the way), one G34 Gen 3, one G19 Gen 4, one M&P 9, two 1911s in 9mm, one 1911 in .45, one S&W 4506, and one Sig P228.

My theory at the time was that the reloads would take longer trying to put a skinny straight mag into a skinny hole vs a pointy mag into a wide hole.

Just wondering

ToddG
04-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Other than coin winners, I don't really track equipment. If I had to spitball it, I'd guess that the percentage of single stack pin winners is about equal to the percentage of single stack AFHF students, though.

Steven C.
04-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Other than coin winners, I don't really track equipment. If I had to spitball it, I'd guess that the percentage of single stack pin winners is about equal to the percentage of single stack AFHF students, though.

And that would be the same as the class I described or another percentage?

Also, can you provide the breakdown with coin winners?

JV_
04-12-2012, 06:28 PM
I earned mine with a Glock 17.

FWIW: I'm a prime example of someone that did well with the FAST, but has a very mediocre reload; I did everything else fast enough to make up for it.

Tamara
04-12-2012, 06:34 PM
How Many F.A.S.Test Advanced or Better Shooters Used a Single Stack 1911

Dude, seriously?

And I'm speaking as somebody who's gone from carrying a 1911 to a plastic 9mm in the last two years, but what's got you so chapped over 1911s?

I mean, yeah, I'd rather have my plastic popgun with the huge mag, but if somebody told me I had to go back to my 1911 tomorrow, I'd just be like "meh, okay" and holster up and drive on.

Not to quote myself, but "getting all hung up on the gun, as opposed to the shooting thereof, seems to miss the point, and actually run counter to the ethos of this forum."

(FWIW, I shot a better FAST with a 1911 than the M&P in AFHF, but I reckon that's a no-brainer since I'd carried the 1911 for years and the M&P for days...)

Steven C.
04-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Dude, seriously?

And I'm speaking as somebody who's gone from carrying a 1911 to a plastic 9mm in the last two years, but what's got you so chapped over 1911s?

I mean, yeah, I'd rather have my plastic popgun with the huge mag, but if somebody told me I had to go back to my 1911 tomorrow, I'd just be like "meh, okay" and holster up and drive on.

Not to quote myself, but "getting all hung up on the gun, as opposed to the shooting thereof, seems to miss the point, and actually run counter to the ethos of this forum."

(FWIW, I shot a better FAST with a 1911 than the M&P in AFHF, but I reckon that's a no-brainer since I'd carried the 1911 for years and the M&P for days...)

Why are you reading more into the questions than there is? I have wondered about this since I took the class in late 2010.

If you have a further need to dominate the conversation, I am happy to take it to IM.

ToddG
04-12-2012, 06:54 PM
And that would be the same as the class I described or another percentage?

I'd estimate about 1 in 12.

Off the top of my head:
Glock: 4
SIG: 3
M&P: 2

All 9mm.

YVK
04-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Reload kills my 1911 FAST. Reload is generally my weaker component of the FAST, and with 1911 it murders my times. I run clean advanced score about 25 to 30% of the time with Glock, and probably could get this percentage higher if I hadn't had tried to break six so hard, but with 1911 is more like one in eight for clean runs.

Tamara
04-12-2012, 08:22 PM
IOff the top of my head:

All 9mm.

Thank gawd I sold my Berettas.

jetfire
04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
I shot my advanced score with a legit Colt 1911. At the time I was shooting a lot of Single Stack and CDP. When (optimism!) I win a coin, it will be with whatever gun I happen to be getting paid to shoot at that time.

_JD_
04-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I'd estimate about 1 in 12.

Off the top of my head:

All 9mm.

Thank gawd I sold my Berettas.

Todd, Did Ernie shoot a Beretta or was he running a Sig or M&P?

Tamara
04-12-2012, 08:37 PM

Oh, I'm a luzr, because my last two Berettas were a Border Marshal and a 96D, so I am full of fail. :(

ToddG
04-12-2012, 08:41 PM

M&P9. It may have been an "L" or "Pro" but I think it was just a standard M&P9.

_JD_
04-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Oh, I'm a luzr, because my last two Berettas were a Border Marshal and a 96D, so I am full of fail. :(

Well when it comes to shooting Berettas, Ernie tends to make us all look like losers.

JV_
04-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Well when it comes to shooting Berettas, Ernie tends to make us all look like losers.Unfortunately, it's not limited to Berettas.

_JD_
04-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately, it's not limited to Berettas.

Quite right.

Tamara
04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Well when it comes to shooting Berettas, Ernie tends to make us all look like losers.

As the saying back home goes, "He'll beat your'n with his'n, 'n' his'n with your'n." ;)

mnealtx
04-12-2012, 11:03 PM
As the saying back home goes, "He'll beat your'n with his'n, 'n' his'n with your'n." ;)

Funny you mention that, Tam - just re-read UC the other day...

Odin Bravo One
04-12-2012, 11:15 PM
I shot my advanced score with a legit Colt 1911. At the time I was shooting a lot of Single Stack and CDP. When (optimism!) I win a coin, it will be with whatever gun I happen to be getting paid to shoot at that time.

I shot an Advanced with a Springfield Armory 1911. I only used that pistol for a couple of hours, as it was new to me and I wanted to get some rounds through it, before switching back to my double stack 9mm for the remainder of the AFHF course. Of course, the verbal abuse from TLG also prompted the return to my usual gun.

My sub-5.0 run was with a double stack 9mm. Alas.........couldn't repeat it at the end of the day..................

JDM
04-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Of course, the verbal abuse from TLG also prompted the return to my usual gun.

He has a way with that, doesn't he?

CCT125US
04-12-2012, 11:25 PM
My <6 sec run was with an HK P30 V3 in Indy. I would need considerable practice to come close to that with my 1911. But that is me

Noleshooter
04-13-2012, 08:45 AM
I had a similar question and thought I would piggyback on this thread.

In your observations (Todd or anyone else) do most people w/ low FAST times drop the slide by slamming the mag, using the slide lock or racking the slide?

jstyer
04-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Without actually knowing or having been there... I'm gonna bet every one of the coin holders was with slide lock.

That's typically the technique Todd seems to teach pretty exclusively.

ToddG
04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Slide release lever, every one.

vcdgrips
04-13-2012, 10:42 AM
My first advanced-Memphis 1/10-G34. In that class, Matt Fields shot an advanced with a 1911 with either a Libenberg (sp?) or Ned Christensen pistol

My second advanced- OKC 6/11-G35. No 1911s at all in the class.

John Hearne
04-14-2012, 06:46 PM
I shot 5.46 in class with my Sig P220 and that was with the slide not locking back on the empty mag when I planned to use the slide release. The weak point in my performance is the first two shots. Anybody who is serious about shooting a single stack gun had better be really freaking good with reloads and ammo management in general.

Corey
04-16-2012, 12:36 AM
I have taken AFHF twice and made advanced both times. 1st time was with a Colt Combat Commander, and second time was with and M&P9. I was slightly faster with the Colt but when I took the class I had been shooting that same gun for over 15 years when I took the second class I had been shooting the M&P for a few months.

Now that I have a couple of years with the M&P I think when I take another class I will improve my time significantly. My reloads are much faster than they ever were with a 1911.

Steven C.
04-16-2012, 12:46 AM
I have taken AFHF twice and made advanced both times. 1st time was with a Colt Combat Commander, and second time was with and M&P9. I was slightly faster with the Colt but when I took the class I had been shooting that same gun for over 15 years when I took the second class I had been shooting the M&P for a few months.

Now that I have a couple of years with the M&P I think when I take another class I will improve my time significantly. My reloads are much faster than they ever were with a 1911.

Thanks Corey. What are your thoughts on the 1911 trigger in the press-out?

jmjames
04-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Slide release lever, every one.

Isn't the slide lock release a mandatory part of the test anyways? The rules (http://pistol-training.com/fastest) state that it is, which implies that other methods would be a disqualification.

J.Ja

JV_
04-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Isn't the slide lock release a mandatory part of the test anyways?Performing a slide-lock reload is part of the rules. How you send the slide home, after going to slide-lock and putting in a fresh mag, is up to you.

jmjames
04-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Performing a slide-lock reload is part of the rules. How you send the slide home, after going to slide-lock and putting in a fresh mag, is up to you.

Gotcha! I misunderstood or misread that, not once (the first time that prompted me to remember it), but the second time too (the time that sent me off to look it up). Up WAY too early today! :(

J.Ja

YVK
04-16-2012, 09:50 AM

I don't want to speak for Corey, but I think 1911 sucks for a press-out, even though it can be done conceptually, as Todd had indicated above.

I shot a Glock during the day 1 of the same class where Corey run his M&P, and after getting advanced on the first FAST of day 2, switched to a 1911. Obviously, my FAST time with 1911 was slower, but that was mostly a function of a reload and not shooting a 1911 for some time prior to class. My first shot time was about the same, but I don't do press-out the same with 1911 as I do with rolling triggers; Ernie Langdon mentioned that in his class and I took notice.

Corey
04-17-2012, 05:20 PM

When I took the AFHF with a 1911 I had no problem with the press out. The idea, at least to me, is to keep adding pressure to the trigger until the shot breaks when you reach extension. The emphasis is on smoothly adding pressure without paying attention to the actual trigger movement. After I had been shooting the M&P for about a year, I went back to the 1911 for a few range sessions to see the difference. Even starting out slow, I had several shots break before I reached full extension. It took more reps than I thought it would to get adjusted back to the lighter trigger with very little movement.

I will add a little about the 1911 in general versus other types of pistols. I am a long time 1911 fanboy for whatever that’s worth. The 1911 trigger is excellent for pure accuracy shooting and I really don’t see a problem with it for speed shooting. It does let you get away with poor trigger control (heavy gun and light trigger means you can slap, snatch, and jerk the trigger an awful lot without disturbing the gun very much), but the slower reload combined with needing to reload twice as often makes the 1911 less than optimal in my opinion. I think some people that say they shoot the 1911 better than anything else don’t realize how much the gun is covering up for poor technique. Part of me says that having a gun that covers up my mistakes and is that easy to shoot well is a good thing because it means I don’t have to practice as much, but the other part of me says what happens if I have to shoot something else for some reason and what am I giving up in other areas (weight, low capacity, slower reloads).