PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart Firearms and Ammo Policy Change

farscott
09-03-2019, 12:20 PM
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/03/walmart-plans-to-dramatically-step-back-from-gun-sales-after-horrific-shootings.html

Walmart is discontinuing sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber, discontinuing sales of handgun ammunition and discontinuing handgun sales entirely in Alaska.

It’s also asking shoppers to no longer openly carry firearms in stores, in states where “open carry” is allowed, unless authorized law enforcement officers are present.

CEO Doug McMillon announces the changes following two deadly shootings at Walmart stores over the summer.

Walmart said Tuesday it will discontinue all sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition that can be used with military style weapons, discontinue sales of handgun ammunition and stop all handgun sales in Alaska, following two “horrific” shootings at Walmart stores this summer.

The biggest retailer in the world is also asking customers at Walmart and Sam’s Club to no longer openly carry firearms in stores, in states where “open carry” is allowed, unless authorized law enforcement officers are present.

Walmart said it won’t be changing its policy for customers who have permits for concealed carry. And it will be adding signage to stores in the coming weeks to communicate the changes.

Mystery
09-03-2019, 12:31 PM
That was the only option for cheap ammo.
Now have to buy all online. :(

Duke
09-03-2019, 12:34 PM
That was the only option for cheap ammo.
:(

Uh no. It wasn’t

0ddl0t
09-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Uh no. It wasn’t

It was for those of use in states where you can't buy online.

Duke
09-03-2019, 12:39 PM
I’m not trying to be rude.....

But assuming Wal-Mart would be a lifelong partner in your ammo procurement may have lacked forward thinking.

willie
09-03-2019, 12:41 PM
One more indicator of decreasing social acceptance of firearms. We can expect more of same.

BaiHu
09-03-2019, 12:50 PM
It was for those of use in states where you can't buy online.sgammo
Sportsmansguide
And several other places I can't remember off the top of my head.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

spinmove_
09-03-2019, 01:00 PM
One more indicator of decreasing social acceptance of firearms. We can expect more of same.

I’m leaving to hop a plane for Hawaii on Sunday and I’m bringing two books with me. Brian Enos’ Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundametals and a Steve Anderson book. My wife was concerned that I may spook the other passengers with my reading material.

In 2019, being a middle-class straight white male who is also a Christian and shows an interest in firearms, other people now worry about how the general public perceives me. This is the America we live in now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blues
09-03-2019, 01:01 PM
sgammo
Sportsmansguide
And several other places I can't remember off the top of my head.

sgammo has restrictions on where or how it will ship, so not a solution for our brethren in, say, CA and some other locales...

Restrictions:

Attention CA customers : Sorry, as of 03/16/18 we no longer accept sales of ammunition to anyone in California, no exceptions. Magazines under 10 rounds and other non-ammo items are available to all Californians. Orders for high capacity magazine (Mags holding over 10 rounds) are not accepted currently, pending the outcome of the stay of enforcement of 'Duncan v. Becerra'

Attention CT customers : Please upload a picture of your required documentation in checkout. Acceptable documentation is an FFL dealer’s license by itself (not including type 03 C&R licenses), or a valid CT permit to carry a pistol or revolver, or a valid CT long gun eligibility certificate.

Attention NY customers : In New York State we ship ammunition orders only to FFL dealers. Please upload a picture of your required documentation in checkout. Acceptable documentation is an FFL dealer’s license with an address that matches the ship-to address for the order. The shipping address must match the FFL or we will not ship the order.

No Shipments to the state of Massachusetts or the cities of Washington D.C. or Chicago, IL. All other IL residents must provide an image of their FOID card and a copy of a second state issued ID when they place an order. There is a section in the checkout form to upload an image file of the FOID card which is required. If you have difficulties uploading the FOID please contact us through the 'contact us' section of the website.

We cannot ship to Alaska or Hawaii as transportation of ammunition by Air is prohibited by law in 49CFR. If you are a resident of one of these areas please do not attempt to purchase. Our system charges credit cards when the order is placed and if you make a purchase and are from an area listed above your order will be canceled and refund will be less up to 10% fee to cover the lost costs from the attempted transaction.

Mike C
09-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Haven't shopped at a Wal-Mart in over a decade. Between their business practices and this I'll certainly never go back and in fact I'll start encouraging others to shop else where.

TCinVA
09-03-2019, 01:08 PM
I presume they will continue to sell alcohol and tobacco products...

BaiHu
09-03-2019, 01:28 PM
sgammo has restrictions on where or how it will ship, so not a solution for our brethren in, say, CA and some other locales...My bad. Quite honestly, I'm surprised Walmart wasn't the first to drop out of the CA market et al.

fixer
09-03-2019, 01:32 PM

We need a one time 10x “like” option because I’d use it on this post.

0ddl0t
09-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Do you guys saying "no big deal" realize Walmart made up 20% of ammunition sales in the US?

Darth_Uno
09-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Nobody else is wondering what exactly "short-barrel rifle ammunition" is?

Mystery
09-03-2019, 01:44 PM
I can buy federal 9mm 50 rounds or 7.99.
Cheapest online was still few bucks more even if I buy 1000 bulk.
Yes brand is different but for practice, it is good enough.
I did buy 1000 bulk online and it was $169 + tax.

Duke
09-03-2019, 01:47 PM
I can buy federal 9mm 50 rounds or 7.99.
Cheapest online was still few bucks more even if I buy 1000 bulk.
Yes brand is different but for practice, it is good enough.
I did buy 1000 bulk online and it was $169 + tax.

1000 is not bulk.

Hambo
09-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Do you guys saying "no big deal" realize Walmart made up 20% of ammunition sales in the US?

So? This doesn't mean there will be 20% less ammo available, just that other companies will pick up the slack. There's an exec somewhere saying, "Thank you, Jesus! Walmart is handing us business."

spinmove_
09-03-2019, 01:56 PM

It’s CNBC. I wouldn’t expect them to know the difference between a The Moon and The Deathstar. Han certainly didn’t upon first inspection.

Zincwarrior
09-03-2019, 01:57 PM
I’m leaving to hop a plane for Hawaii on Sunday and I’m bringing two books with me. Brian Enos’ Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundametals and a Steve Anderson book. My wife was concerned that I may spook the other passengers with my reading material.

In 2019, being a middle-class straight white male who is also a Christian and shows an interest in firearms, other people now worry about how the general public perceives me. This is the America we live in now.

Of course people that know you worry about you for other reasons. :p

blues
09-03-2019, 01:58 PM
1000 is not bulk.

It's cute and all but are you going to disparage everyone's post because of their failures to meet your definition of foresight and bulk ammo?

Zincwarrior
09-03-2019, 02:02 PM
It's cute and all but are you going to disparage everyone's post because of their failures to meet your definition of foresight and bulk ammo?
I guess if doesn't require a pallet its not bulk?

Crow Hunter
09-03-2019, 02:05 PM
That sucks.

It is pretty much the only source locally for ammo.

Of course now that Wa-mart is out of the business, local gun stores will probably start to carry ammo but it will likely be at a significant markup.

There is an Academy and a Gander Outdoors but it is about a 45 min drive.

Personally, I usually get my ammo online. But I would occasionally swing by and pick up a box or two of some handgun that I don't keep ammo on hand for on my way to go shooting. I would sometimes run out of ammo while shooting and run up to Wal-Mart and pick up a box or two.

I wonder what they are going to do about .22 LR or other "combo" rounds used in both handguns and rifles?

This also hurts people with less money as well. I know several people that go shooting occasionally and they would likely find it hard to afford to buy a 500 or 1,000 round purchase online much less a 5,000 round purchase. A few might not even have credit cards to make the purchase with.

scjbash
09-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Beat me to it. The constant need to inject some bullshit opinion about what others do is growing old. For some people 1000 rounds is bulk, a sub-$500 watch is a purchase worth putting some thought into, and January 1st is a fine fucking day to start exercising and eating better.

scjbash
09-03-2019, 02:20 PM
This also hurts people with less money as well. I know several people that go shooting occasionally and they would likely find it hard to afford to buy a 500 or 1,000 round purchase online much less a 5,000 round purchase. A few might not even have credit cards to make the purchase with.

This. Hopefully with other places having increased sales they can lower their prices but it's going to be hard for anyone on a local level to match Walmart's prices. I live in a pretty economically depressed area so as it is to get people in class I'm doing half day classes, keeping round counts low, offering discounts to people on fixed incomes, giving out free spots, etc. For some people just buying a couple hundred rounds to practice every few months is a big purchase and this is going to hurt them.

spinmove_
09-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Of course people that know you worry about you for other reasons. :p

Very true. They know me too well...

Duke
09-03-2019, 02:27 PM

The point is no discount will be found at low volumes, beyond that fewer items costs less than more of identically priced items.

His 7.99/50 Walmart only super ultra deal is 15.9 cents per round. His next best deal of 169/1000 is 16.9 cents per Round.

We’re wringing hands over 50 cents....

Beyond that how did Wal-Mart afford to sell it so cheap ? They bought a shit load of it....like in bulk.

Duke
09-03-2019, 02:33 PM
January 1st is a fine fucking day to start exercising and eating better.

It is. If that’s today’s date. if that’s some day in the future then it’s just more “one day” generic talk.

RoyGBiv
09-03-2019, 02:39 PM
When you get the largest retailer, who happens to be based in Arkansas, and has resisted using their private business rights to curtail local gun laws, finally caving in to the "do something" crowd, you need to pause and realize the body blow your cause just took.

Forget the $$. Forget the inconveniences, for just a minute. This is a huge win for the other side. And a slippery slope, I'll bet.

HCountyGuy
09-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Methinks Wal-Mart should worry about their stores being major magnets for criminal activities versus selling ammo that is mostly used for perfectly legal/non-malicious ends.

Yay for virtue signaling, now what about that guy who’s carting 3 60” 4K HDTVs our your front door and pulling a knife on your personnel for trying to stop him? Miss me with that bullshit.

And yeah some of us bought ammo from them because shelling out for 1k+ rounds wasn’t financially feasible and I could get the same ammo for 1-2 dollars less than the LGS. We tend to forget the vast majority of firearms owners aren’t like the majority here in their dedication to practice and willingness to run the credit card for bulk ammo purchases.

Crow Hunter
09-03-2019, 02:51 PM
When you get the largest retailer, who happens to be based in Arkansas, and has resisted using their private business rights to curtail local gun laws, finally caving in to the "do something" crowd, you need to pause and realize the body blow your cause just took.

Forget the $$. Forget the inconveniences, for just a minute. This is a huge win for the other side. And a slippery slope, I'll bet.

I think it is only going to get worse before it will get better, if it ever does.

There is a new "corporate social responsibility" push and whatever is currently out of favor, will be restricted by SJW CEOs. I saw an article that stated the old Milton Friedman philosophy of "mind your corporate business" is now going out of favor and instead CEOs are going to be SJW.

So expect that credit card companies will soon restrict "sporting goods purchases", FED EX/UPS stop delivering ammo/shipping guns, banks stop lending to NRA/gun companies/etc, Google/et al to filter firearm websites, insurance companies refusing to insure gun owners, and so on.

I think we are about to face an onslaught of "woke corporate activists" attempting to drive us underground.

KeeFus
09-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Link to Walmart's press release page:

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/2019/09/03/mcmillon-to-associates-our-next-steps-in-response-to-the-tragedies-in-el-paso-and-Southaven

Mystery
09-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Let's say Wally mart stopped selling handgun ammo last year.
How that could have prevented El Paso shooting?
If yes, good decision.
If no, bu$%&&*#$&#*&*$&#*&*#.

People scream to do something and companies do something just for their sake, just to avoid backlash.

Casual Friday
09-03-2019, 02:54 PM
I understood the point Duke was making about 1000 rounds not being bulk, but I deal with bulk sales and orders on a daily basis so my mind went there first.

Prior to Southern Ohio Gun going out of business last year, they were having a sale on Wolf Military Classic 7.62x39 ammo. I called and spoke to the lady who usually answers the phone and inquired if there was a quantity I could order and get it even cheaper. She called me back and said they'd take an additional $.05 off per round if I ordered 5 cases and $.07 per round if I ordered 10 cases. A $700 savings was well worth it to me to order the 10. I have about 5000 rounds of it left and when I need to order more, I'm going to inquire with a few online distributors with the same question. I probably won't get the same discount as I'm sure SOG was trying to dump their inventory prior to them closing up shop but it never hurts to ask.

Stephanie B
09-03-2019, 03:12 PM
I bought stuff from Walmart because I could also get ammo there.

They can choke on everything in their stores. Someone else can help them "sell down" their handgun ammo. It won't be me.

It'd be nice if Federal, Winchester and Remington responded by saying "Fine, we won't sell anything to you."

Joe in PNG
09-03-2019, 03:24 PM
If there's a market, people will step up to fill it.
If the major players won't play, someone else eventually will. The transition may be a bit rough, but it's a big enough business that someone will eventually pick up the slack.

Chemsoldier
09-03-2019, 03:27 PM
That was dumb on their part. How many people are going to be happy with them for doing this? Of that population, how many really likes Walmart anyway?

I would also be interested to see the planning assumptions that went into the projection of them going from 20% of US ammo sales to 6-9%. If it was just projecting the loss of those calibers from sales they are going to be disappointed. I have no intention to buy .22lr or shot shells from them (not that I spend a huge amount on those in aggregate). If I am going to weigh down the UPS man even more than normal, he is definitely get a case of .22 periodically. Now that I think about it, if even 25% of those that buy shotgun ammo from wally world stops buying ammo from them, they are going to come in well below it.

Unlike Dick's, not that many are going to do a total boycott, Walmart has too much of the market share for that. But I am guessing they are going to lose a lot of money from their outdoors section.

Fascinating, its like a giant, private sector subsidy to Local Gun Stores.

lordhamster
09-03-2019, 03:51 PM
If the major players won't play, someone else eventually will. The transition may be a bit rough, but it's a big enough business that someone will eventually pick up the slack.

This is absolutely 100% true. However, there is a caveat. There are major efforts underway to try to ban "online" ammo sales nationwide. Couple that with cities that refuse to allow "gun stores" within their city limits, and the loss of a mega-corporation on our side hurts.

Joe in PNG
09-03-2019, 03:54 PM
This is absolutely 100% true. However, there is a caveat. There are major efforts underway to try to ban "online" ammo sales nationwide. Couple that with cities that refuse to allow "gun stores" within their city limits, and the loss of a mega-corporation on our side hurts.

Two different problems.

HCountyGuy
09-03-2019, 04:04 PM

This.

Like it or not Wal-Mart was a pretty significant contributor to keeping firearms socially acceptable. Once we really lose the big corporations and the desired reduction of gun violence isn’t achieved, you can bet they’ll keep chipping away and the local gun store/range is the next prime target to outlaw via ordinances.

RoyGBiv
09-03-2019, 04:05 PM

If you see any opportunities, let me know.... (serious).

The big hammer will fall when Visa and Mastercard start refusing to process transactions with 2A products. The data already exists.
I'd love to be the banker that fixes that problem before it happens.

https://dharmamerchantservices.com/faq/what-is-level-2-and-level-3-data/

Level 3 Data

Ship-From Zip Code
Destination Zip Code
Invoice Number
Order Number
Item Product Code
Item Commodity Code
Item Description
Item Quantity
Item Unit of Measure
Item Extended Amount
Freight Amount
Duty Amount

LittleLebowski
09-03-2019, 04:07 PM

They can choke on everything in their stores. Someone else can help them "sell down" their handgun ammo. It won't be me.

It'd be nice if Federal, Winchester and Remington responded by saying "Fine, we won't sell anything to you."

Nailed it. As usual.

HCountyGuy
09-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Link to Walmart's press release page:

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/2019/09/03/mcmillon-to-associates-our-next-steps-in-response-to-the-tragedies-in-el-paso-and-Southaven

Store security...what a joke.

In relation to my post where a local officer got shot in the face responding to reports of shoplifters last year, that Wal-Mart has hired a security monitoring company. Explain the logic to me of hiring unarmed security to patrol your parking lot not long after a uniformed officer gets shot in the face. Security theater at its finest...

Darth_Uno
09-03-2019, 04:16 PM

Maybe, but how much deer ammo and junk birdshot does the Big 3 sell to Walmart every year? A lot, that's how much. I really have no way to know that, but I doubt I'm wrong.

This isn't some boutique shop like Barrett refusing to sell guns to California.

lordhamster
09-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Two different problems.

Different problems, which in combination make ammo much less available on the ground to many people. For those who rely on cash, the problem is even greater.

Stephanie B
09-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Rural King should be happy. They’re not around here, unfortunately.

(I’ll jump through the hoops to buy online. )

Glenn E. Meyer
09-03-2019, 04:54 PM
When Walmart stopped selling handguns (except in Alaska), folks boycotted them.
When Walmart stopped selling ARs, folks boycotted them.
When Walmart stopped selling guns in some stores, folks boycotted them.
Now, folks will boycott them.

They will go out of business and China's economy will crash.

Or maybe not.

What's the real problem - the lack of a coherent, progun campaign to convince the general public that the RKBA should be protected. Best we got lately from most is stopping the Progressive/Liberal agenda. That doesn't work when you see the story of a 17 month old cute baby girl that shrapnel in her chest, a hole through her bottom lip and damage to her front teeth, along with the other dead and injured. Ranting about leftists, boycotts, well, the ban beat goes on. Wayne being a crook doesn't help. See him on MTP commenting?

Cynical me.

My serious concern is that this continues the cultural drumbeat against gun rights to make them unacceptable as is smoking.

That's for real. I took Kleck's book, Point Blank , to read on a plane after 9/11. The TSA woman looked at it and said: Lord All Mighty, he is going to kill us all. I said the book is about how gun control works. She calmed down. Ranks in there with the TSA agent who freaked out over the wire which held the lead in place in my assault automatic pencil. Took a National Guard captain to convince her it was a pencil.

BTW, read books on your phone, that's the way they are supposed to be read, old fogy.

Inspector71
09-03-2019, 05:12 PM
The next time somebody ridicules me for reloading the 9mm cartridge, I’m smiling. They always said they could buy it cheaper at a Walmart on a cost per cartridge analysis. Well, that option is going away....

GardoneVT
09-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Haven't shopped at a Wal-Mart in over a decade. Between their business practices and this I'll certainly never go back and in fact I'll start encouraging others to shop else where.

If you see any opportunities, let me know.... (serious).

The big hammer will fall when Visa and Mastercard start refusing to process transactions with 2A products. The data already exists.
I'd love to be the banker that fixes that problem before it happens.

https://dharmamerchantservices.com/faq/what-is-level-2-and-level-3-data/

[/LIST]

Visa and MasterCard are just issuers. It’s their host banks which control what purchases can and cannot be authorized- if the data can be captured based on the merchant ID or amount, which aren’t necessarily clear indicators of firearm transactions . While it is possible for the Fed to order FDIC participating banks to do what you propose ( or CFPB regulations to the same) the expense required to implement this would trigger pushback by the banks. They’ve got more profitable things to do then datamine billions of daily transaction records for potential firearm purchases.

HCM
09-03-2019, 05:25 PM

Hambo
09-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Walmart's CEO didn't pull this out of his ass. Has anyone ever read how Walmart does business with vendors? Walmart knows what it makes on everything, and they certainly know what they stand to lose. I'm sure they ran the numbers on how much they can make via corporate virtue signalling.

Cory
09-03-2019, 05:38 PM
This will impact me significantly.

It's easier for me to pickup a couple hundred rounds semi-frequently while getting groceries than to spend more money at once purchasing online. I'm not set up to securely store a large quantity of ammuntion yet either. I have a new home and it's on my to do, list but organizing and storing a lot of ammo is going to take some creativity with my storage/home safety/humidity/child proof planning.

I feel like many are saying that the demand for ammo will turn else where. To an extent that might be true. I think a fair number will simply stop buying. If it's more expensive and requires a special trip to a specific store a number of folks (especially those below the median income) will simply stop shooting or buying. Many in my home state of NY will be seriously impacted. Online purchases are pretty much a no go. For those who can purchase online, paying more at once, despite the nearly equal cost in the long run may be difficult in the short run.

I'm going to try to purchase online, but am concerned with my monthly household budget requiring me missing out on shooting for a bit so I can purchase more at once.

Our culture is becoming marginalized, and we need an impactful way to prevent that. Firearms aren't deviant, and we need our culture to be considered "normal" at large. We need to be part of the larger overall culture of soceity.

-Cory

Glenn E. Meyer
09-03-2019, 05:45 PM
In a stunning turn around, gun owners flock to Nordstrom's and Whole Foods in a rejection of WalMart.

Asked why, a young man in camo said - well, Nordstrom's is more stylish and while Whole Foods ban carry - at least I will eat healthy alternatives to the heart killing items at WalMart.

--- Actually my closest WalMart is putting in a lot of upscale food items. Must have been getting ready for the antigun folks to shop there.

I think the economic demographics of the WalMart shopper will far outweigh the boycotts of a small percentage of gun folks. If I don't shop for groceries in WalMart, I could go to HEB - oh, wait - they ban OC too!

In a stunning turn of events, Chik-Fil-A announces drive through 9mm purchases.

My cynicism engine is burned out.

Got to have a message to embed support for 2nd Amend. in more of the public consciousness, that is equivalent to that of the rest of the BOR. It will be a hard job. For a $1.5 million and some suits, I'm up for the job. I'm as old as Trump and Biden - so I'm qualified.

Bah.

Lon
09-03-2019, 06:00 PM
I can count on 1 hand the number of times (non work related) I go to Walmart in a year. And I don’t buy ammo from them so it a 🤷*♂️ for me.

11B10
09-03-2019, 06:09 PM
I'm as old as Trump and Biden - so I'm qualified.

May-be, but they're funnier.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Ouch.

Cypher
09-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Delete

Cypher
09-03-2019, 06:22 PM
It’s CNBC. I wouldn’t expect them to know the difference between a The Moon and The Deathstar. Han certainly didn’t upon first inspection.

Neither did Chewie

Stephanie B
09-03-2019, 08:01 PM
Maybe, but how much deer ammo and junk birdshot does the Big 3 sell to Walmart every year? A lot, that's how much. I really have no way to know that, but I doubt I'm wrong.

This isn't some boutique shop like Barrett refusing to sell guns to California.

Junk birdshot, maybe. But how much ammo does the typical deer-hunter buy in a year? Three to six shots to verify zero and then as many as necessary while hunting, maybe. That translates into a box of twenty every three years.

"By Fudds, For Fudds. Walmart"

Hieronymous
09-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Under siege; that’s a feeling (as a gun owner)I haven’t had since the Clinton years and the 94 AWB. While the growth of concealed carry across the country has been amazing, the perceived up tempo of mass shootings is crushing our ability to blunt their “gun violence” narrative. Wal-Mart’s policies reflect their confidence that the majority will be just fine with this move, and I’m increasingly concerned they’re right. Not only Wal-Mart, but it seems Corporate America is increasingly complicit in this asymmetric attack on our rights as well.

Crow Hunter
09-03-2019, 10:16 PM
Under siege; that’s a feeling (as a gun owner)I haven’t had since the Clinton years and the 94 AWB. While the growth of concealed carry across the country has been amazing, the perceived up tempo of mass shootings is crushing our ability to blunt their “gun violence” narrative. Wal-Mart’s policies reflect their confidence that the majority will be just fine with this move, and I’m increasingly concerned they’re right. Not only Wal-Mart, but it seems Corporate America is increasingly complicit in this asymmetric attack on our rights as well.

Hopefully, maybe, Providence willing lots of voters will remember that and turn out and vote.

I think the 2020 election will be a historic one beyond anything we have seen to date.

If the Left wins the Senate, House and Executive with all their Gun Confiscation, Green New Deal, Reparations, etc rhetoric that will signal a sea change in America.

I fear our guns and "gun culture" will have a tragic boating accident in that sea.

Suvorov
09-03-2019, 10:31 PM
390,000 people are injured or killed in car accidents in the US every year due to texting and driving. I wonder how many of those cell phones or plans were purchased at WalMart. Those people have more blood on their hands than just the guns and ammunition they sell.

And then of course there is the whole alcohol thing.......

And since hammers are used to kill more people every year than modern sporting rifles, I wonder how many of those hammers were sold by WalMart?

The bowels of Hell will be full of WalMart execs if they don't do something!

Cynicism aside - Sad as WalMart was the place of my very first gun purchase a Browning mkIII HiPower.

Drifting Fate
09-03-2019, 10:52 PM

This. Ten times, this.

I have made a conscious effort not to ever, even jokingly, threaten anyone for fear of how it could be twisted in court, and it's just rude. Even with that history, part of my family is worried about what red flag laws will mean for men like me. The other half of my family is silent, probably programming the Feebs' number into the iPhones, salivating as they wait for legislation to be passed.

As for Walmart, they took a hard left turn as soon as the Old Man stepped down years ago. It's just gotten progressively wore. They have been smart enough to recognize their market, but I guess now the execs and family want to virtue signal to their best buddies, thinking they are too big to fail. Screw 'em. Didn't personally shop there before because it's too far too walk for a tube of toothpaste. Just laid the recent truth on the wife, and she said it before I did - "well, no more shopping at Walmart."

Paul D
09-03-2019, 10:54 PM
It is a shame Walmart is stopping the sale of ammo. When I was a student (ie poor), Walmart allowed me to nurture my budding gun passion 200 rounds at a time. Other brick and mortar retailers like Big 5 and gun shops were too expensive for the Poors like myself. So I think this is a big deal and big blow to any grass root efforts to expand the gun culture. The AWB of 1994 really opened my eyes. Every election year since 1994, I do the same thing: 1) vote; 2) actually contribute to campaigns of politicians who support my views; and 3) stockpile on ammo, mags, and parts. At this stage in my life: 1) I encourage my friends to vote (I still only get one vote); 2) I can give more in and out of my state; 3) have enough ammo to shoot for 3 years without buying anything (but now I can't move to a new home cuz I have too much shit to move).

AKDoug
09-03-2019, 11:02 PM
It took this thread and one on another forum to expose to me how many people bought ammo at Walmart. I honestly had no clue. I don't know anyone that buys their ammo at Walmart. Of course, I have a Sportsman's Warehouse, and Cabelas, and a Bass Pro Shop to choose from AND two excellent suppliers of discount ammo.

JAD
09-03-2019, 11:21 PM
Part of the problem is Wal*Mart’s ubiquity. I think a lot of the people who would rightfully be offended by this don’t have a lot of alternatives.

I find WM to be reprehensible, but then I always have. I can count on one dick the number of times I’ve been in one in the last 20 years; but I Amazon anything I can’t get at the grocery store. Not everyone can.

I don’t know that it’s calculated, but it is at least unfortunate that this is happening at a time when the NRA is weakened.

spinmove_
09-04-2019, 06:45 AM
This. Ten times, this.

I have made a conscious effort not to ever, even jokingly, threaten anyone for fear of how it could be twisted in court, and it's just rude. Even with that history, part of my family is worried about what red flag laws will mean for men like me. The other half of my family is silent, probably programming the Feebs' number into the iPhones, salivating as they wait for legislation to be passed.

As for Walmart, they took a hard left turn as soon as the Old Man stepped down years ago. It's just gotten progressively wore. They have been smart enough to recognize their market, but I guess now the execs and family want to virtue signal to their best buddies, thinking they are too big to fail. Screw 'em. Didn't personally shop there before because it's too far too walk for a tube of toothpaste. Just laid the recent truth on the wife, and she said it before I did - "well, no more shopping at Walmart."

Politically we need to continue voting and writing our representatives. Socially we need to lead by example. If you carry, make it as invisible as possible. Be as polite as you possibly can be. If firearms/2A comes up in conversation listen first to understand and then respond, remain polite, and communicate with love and kindness.

We’re not going to get much of a positive platform with which we can extoll the virtues of gun ownership in this country. Therefore we must, each of us, be as positive a representative of such things as humanly possible. Some people we will never be able to ‘suade to our side. Some we may. Regardless of the outcome we can at least do our best to break the mold of perception that gun owners are simply derptastic rednecks that haven’t got more than a couple of brain cells to rub together.

RoyGBiv
09-04-2019, 06:59 AM
My local Walmart is a great place to shop. Just yesterday I saved about 5 bucks (vs Kroger) buying shampoo and shaving supplies. Groceries are cheaper by dollars. One of the things I rarely bought at Walmart was ammo, because it's usually impossible to track down the employee with the key, and I have zero patience.

Not sure what I'm going to do.

RoyGBiv
09-04-2019, 07:09 AM
And now Kroger.

Kroger asks customers to stop openly carrying guns in stores (https://thehill.com/regulation/business/459833-kroger-asks-customers-to-stop-openly-carrying-guns-in-stories?fbclid=IwAR3liCDwomX-YCxkBZ6vmPmfo5CwRu3RTXrV2FIVEXG_KwtNXHStbarOg64)

Kroger is respectfully asking that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores, other than authorized law enforcement officers,” Jessica Adelman, who serves as group vice president of corporate affairs, said in a statement to Reuters on Tuesday afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT
“We are also joining those encouraging our elected leaders to pass laws that will strengthen background checks and remove weapons from those who have been found to pose a risk for violence,” she continued.

farscott
09-04-2019, 07:09 AM
Part of the problem is Wal*Mart’s ubiquity. I think a lot of the people who would rightfully be offended by this don’t have a lot of alternatives.

I find WM to be reprehensible, but then I always have. I can count on one dick the number of times I’ve been in one in the last 20 years; but I Amazon anything I can’t get at the grocery store. Not everyone can.

I don’t know that it’s calculated, but it is at least unfortunate that this is happening at a time when the NRA is weakened.

In rural areas, the totality of shopping choices are often Wal-Mart or Dollar General. This was especially true before the rise of Amazon and Internet shopping. A small town that gets a Wal-Mart has in some ways been put on the map.

My wife and I have considered moving a bit further out when I retire, and we were looking at a home just east of Anderson, AL (population ~300). One of the things that stopped the move is that Internet access on the property is limited to satellite providers or a cellular provider. The cellular provider speed on AT&T on the property is 4G; there is no Verizon coverage. Without a good ISP, online shopping is not possible, and stores like Wal-Mart are lifelines. The nearest Wal-Mart is twenty-five miles away from where the property is.

0ddl0t
09-04-2019, 08:30 AM
One of the things I rarely bought at Walmart was ammo, because it's usually impossible to track down the employee with the key, and I have zero patience.

Ha! I am, er was, the opposite: Yeah it takes 3 minutes to flag down an associate, but I'd still pick up a value pack of ammo just to be able to check out at the sporting goods counter rather than wait 10 minutes in line at the main registers.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Beat me to it. The constant need to inject some bullshit opinion about what others do is growing old. For some people 1000 rounds is bulk, a sub-$500 watch is a purchase worth putting some thought into, and January 1st is a fine fucking day to start exercising and eating better.

Hell, I bought 400 rounds of plinking 9mm and 40SW, along with a few boxes of HST’s for both that I thought was a worthy bulk buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RoyGBiv
09-04-2019, 09:30 AM
Ha! I am, er was, the opposite: Yeah it takes 3 minutes to flag down an associate, but I'd still pick up a value pack of ammo just to be able to check out at the sporting goods counter rather than wait 10 minutes in line at the main registers.

Self check-out FTW!

We even have the online pickup tower.

I don't ever have to speak to anyone at my local Walmart, unless there's some entertainment value in it. :cool:

mmc45414
09-04-2019, 09:30 AM
My problem is the virtue signaling. Realistically the amount of profit they make on ammo is like the amount of change rolling around in the cupholders of my truck. Pretty much everybody hates them anyway, if the next dickhead buys his ammo at Walmart the blowback would be supersized. I bet they just don't wanna screw with it anymore.

Pretty sure Kroger seems to be doing just fine since I quit going there.

Stephanie B
09-04-2019, 09:42 AM
My problem is the virtue signaling. Realistically the amount of profit they make on ammo is like the amount of change rolling around in the cupholders of my truck. Pretty much everybody hates them anyway, if the next dickhead buys his ammo at Walmart the blowback would be supersized. I bet they just don't wanna screw with it anymore.

I don't understand whom they are trying to appease. The folks who would be cheered by this aren't going to Walmart because they exploit their workers and because Walmart has been gutting their local downtowns.

Zincwarrior
09-04-2019, 09:45 AM

One thing to consider is that Walmart may believe there is no future profit from firearm and ammunition sales and are just exiting the market now with a nice PR win.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-04-2019, 09:46 AM
In San Antonio, HEB - the largest grocery chain put up 30.07, no OC signs. It's always jammed.

Across the street, Target with no signs, hardly has anyone in the grocery store. Funny, when we had a major hurricane scare, folks cleaned out HEB for bottled water. A friend of mind stocked up on that baby solution water for the runs as that was the only water left. Across, the street, Target had giant stacks of Nestle's bottled water and no one there.

The boycotts are just virtue signaling, I agree.

Sea Island, a fish restaurant chain put up an OC sign. No one cared. I asked the manager, whom I know, if she got feedback. Initially, two old farts had boycott hissy fits. They are still jammed every night.

OC was a major mistake to push. If you want to call me an enemy of the people, buy me dinner at Sea Island and we can discuss it.

RoyGBiv
09-04-2019, 09:52 AM
From the Bee...

Walmart Discontinues Auto Part Sales To Prevent Car Accidents (https://babylonbee.com/news/walmart-discontinues-sale-of-auto-parts-to-prevent-car-accidents)

"We can no longer be complicit in an industry that kills over 3,000 people a day," said a spokesperson for Walmart. "Every time we sell a muffler, steering wheel cover, or flame decal, we are potentially causing the death of a person, and we cannot support that any longer."

"It's clear that bad drivers and poor road conditions don't cause vehicular deaths---cars do."

corneileous
09-04-2019, 09:53 AM
I'm afraid when I see an open carrier, because retarded people shouldn't handle firearms.

Totally not the answer I was expecting and yes- I do agree to an extent but how do you know every open-carrier is a retarded person who shouldn’t handle firearms?....lol.

Or are you just saying anyone who open carry’s is retarded?....[emoji3166]

Doc_Glock
09-04-2019, 10:08 AM
One thing to consider is that Walmart may believe there is no future profit from firearm and ammunition sales and are just exiting the market now with a nice PR win.

I think this is exactly right. Profit on ammo has been in the tanks for a while.

mmc45414
09-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Profit on ammo has been in the tanks for a while.
Yeah, of all the stuff they sell generating another $9 in the process of selling something controversial is probably juice that is not worth the squeeze. The beer and smokes bring a lot more volume and profit. If they were really selling a lot of 9mm ammo it wouldn't be on a tiny locked shelf in the back of the store, it would be on the endcap next to the Snickers and National Enquirer.

ETA: While I know this impacts others in other areas and situations more, but retail is plenty challenged by mail order right now anyway, conceding the guns and ammo category is probably an easy decision.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Yeah, of all the stuff they sell generating another $9 in the process of selling something controversial is probably juice that is not worth the squeeze. The beer and smokes bring a lot more volume and profit. If they were really selling a lot of 9mm ammo it wouldn't be on a tiny locked shelf in the back of the store, it would be on the endcap next to the Snickers and National Enquirer.

I wondered about that since they made that stance to no longer sell to anyone under 21 quite a few months back.

Crow Hunter
09-04-2019, 10:55 AM
I think this is exactly right. Profit on ammo has been in the tanks for a while.

My assumption is that ammo is there as a "loss leader" or near to no profit in an effort to gain sales on other items that are more profitable like camouflage or other hunting/sporting items.

It might even be a requirement for pricing on other items that they get in bulk from their distributors. As in you must commit to buy XXMillion rounds of ammo to get a price of $XXXX on these items.

I honestly imagine that they will be selling "evil" ammo for a while yet since they said that they were going to finish out their current "commitments" not even existing stocks. They probably agreed to buy several million rounds of ammo from ATK/Olin/etc that they will have to get rid of before they stop buying more.

I also hope that the ammo companies hose them on 22 LR etc once their contracts are up and Crapmart loses that business too.

Speaking of which. Since .22 LR is used in handguns as often as rifles, are they dropping that too? What about the "evil" .308 and .30-06 and 12 ga that are also used in weapons of war?

Malamute
09-04-2019, 11:18 AM
I havent been able to afford much bulk centerfire buying for some time. For comparison, one local store i was in recently still had 500 rd boxes of 22s for $45, walmart has them for a little under $20. I still buy a little now and then to keep shooting stock in a usable range if we have another drought, and if i can get back to shooting more regularly.

I also think this will be a really big deal to a lot of shooters. There arent many affordable places to buy ammo in many smaller towns. The closest place with anything considered affordable ammo is about 80 miles away.

Duelist
09-04-2019, 11:20 AM
LGS I visited yesterday was actually excited about the announcement. “Woohoo! I’ll actually be able to sell ammo again!”

mmc45414
09-04-2019, 11:37 AM
They probably agreed to buy several million rounds of ammo from ATK/Olin/etc that they will have to get rid of before they stop buying more.
Ya know, I really wonder how much they really sell? I have been reloading all my pistol ammo for decades, but when the shelves were bare I would be looking for 22LR and came to know they would get their weekly supply on a given day of the week, implying that they only get ammo once a week, and there never is really all that much in the cabinet. If there are ten bulk packs that would be a lot, so they are probably selling 1k-2k of 9mm a week, and it that worth the bother?

corneileous
09-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Attempting to equate a uniformed police officer with a citizen who openly carries a firearm is a strawman argument, better suited for the short school bus than this forum.

Well that all depends- are you saying all that just because open carry is part of the job of a uniformed officer, or are you saying that unless... you’re a police officer... that you don’t think any civilian is smart enough, qualified enough or even trained enough to openly carry a firearm? What if the [civilian] you saw was an ex or retired cop? Ex or retired military? Are they “retarded butt-cracks” too, or whatever the hell it was you called them? What if it was just some regular Joe who did happen to have quite a bit of extensive handgun training classes that taught tactics and self-defense fundamentals? He in that category as well? A complete stranger you don’t even know? I’m just curious.

I’ve already stated that I’m not necessarily for open carry but holy shit, I don’t automatically think of anybody I see doing it as the stupidest person in the world.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Ya know, I really wonder how much they really sell? I have been reloading all my pistol ammo for decades, but when the shelves were bare I would be looking for 22LR and came to know they would get their weekly supply on a given day of the week, implying that they only get ammo once a week, and there never is really all that much in the cabinet. If there are ten bulk packs that would be a lot, so they are probably selling 1k-2k of 9mm a week, and it that worth the bother?

Seems to me that the only time really that I’ve ever bought any ammunition from Walmart was only because I needed some right away and didn’t want to give it time to order any cheaper somewhere else online and that at least in my little town, Walmart did sell a lot of ammunition that was cheaper than my local gun stores.

Crow Hunter
09-04-2019, 11:58 AM

At an individual store, probably not necessarily a huge amount but they probably buy several million rounds and put it in their distribution warehouses and send them out as each of the stores runs out on their normal weekly delivery runs.

I bet they still don't have all the ammo they have contracts to purchase either. They probably still have millions of rounds that haven't been produced yet that they have to purchase within X months or even X years.

That is how they get such good prices on stuff (not just ammo). They buy literal tons of it at one time. They probably purchase entire runs of production to get their pricing.

I foresee several months (if not over a year) in the future a sudden outcry on the Intardwebs when ammo is gone off Crap-mart shelves when all this has fallen off the collective Cleeti short attention span radar.

Trooper224
09-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Well that all depends- are you saying all that just because open carry is part of the job of a uniformed officer, or are you saying that unless... you’re a police officer... that you don’t think any civilian is smart enough, qualified enough or even trained enough to openly carry a firearm? What if the [civilian] you saw was an ex or retired cop? Ex or retired military? Are they “retarded butt-cracks” too, or whatever the hell it was you called them? What if it was just some regular Joe who did happen to have quite a bit of extensive handgun training classes that taught tactics and self-defense fundamentals? He in that category as well? A complete stranger you don’t even know? I’m just curious.

I’ve already stated that I’m not necessarily for open carry but holy shit, I don’t automatically think of anybody I see doing it as the stupidest person in the world.

A uniformed LEO is required to openly carry a firearm. This sole fact takes that position out of relevance for this discussion. If you can't see that, or, if you refuse to acknowledge that lack of correlation we really have nothing else to discuss on that matter.

I'm not going to waste my time by again laying out the various and sundry reasons why I think open carry is a bad idea, from any of the various positions of tactics, security and social responsibility. On that point the search function is your friend.

mmc45414
09-04-2019, 12:37 PM
At an individual store, probably not necessarily a huge amount but they probably buy several million rounds and put it in their distribution warehouses and send them out as each of the stores runs out on their normal weekly delivery runs.

I bet they still don't have all the ammo they have contracts to purchase either. They probably still have millions of rounds that haven't been produced yet that they have to purchase within X months or even X years.
Yes, if they have about 5k stores in the US (almost 12k worldwide) there is probably 7-8 million rounds on the shelf at any given time, but what I know, just from reading and watching documentary stuff, is that they do not have to do anything. With many vendors they do not even own the stuff until it is sold. And they write contracts that give them the power to back out. There strength is that they present the opportunity to place your goods on twelve thousand of their shelves, if you meet their terms, and their terms are favorable for them.

The P-F reach is broad, there is probably somebody here that actually knows first hand, but I really don't think WM is ever gonna pay anybody for anything they don't want to.

Malamute
09-04-2019, 01:09 PM
... I really don't think WM is ever gonna pay anybody for anything they don't want to.

Truth.

I know someone that did excavation work on one of their stores. As was told to me, when done, they basically told him to pound sand, they werent paying him. No particular reason, not a performance issue. Read your contract, it says we dont have to pay you if we dont want to. Lose your business over it? Oh well, not our problem.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 02:33 PM
As TGS has said, you've only been here for 3 weeks,
And again, this means what? What’s the purpose of highlighting the length of how long someone has been member to a forum? So many people do it and it like they think it’s a person’s first rodeo.

but this statement:

is exceedingly obvious to everyone. :)

That may be but it seems to me like you’re implying that I really like to talk about this subject and if you are, you’re wrong because what I said initially meant was that I have talked about this a lot in the past and I don’t care to talk about it anymore because it’s a deadhorse that’s been beaten to a pulp but once again,
that conversation is not nowhere what i wish to talk about.

farscott
09-04-2019, 02:39 PM
For some reason I cannot explain, the first rule of holes comes to mind: When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Zincwarrior
09-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Yes.

You're the one who just showed up here last month.

Nobody needs to waste their time re-explaining shit to you that has already been beaten to death ad-nauseum on the forum.

That's generally how this place works. Use the search function.

Translation: Utilizing the search function will reveal these and other scintillating arguments:
1) Puts you in more of a reactive situation, as BGs know you are armed.
2) Needlessly antagonizing the good townsfolk as well as shooters who know better and think you look foolish.
3) Reveals your lack of training and seriousness by your inevitable use of Mexican Carry or the ubiquitous Uncle Mike's holster with sagging belt.
4) Your legend in your own mind situational awareness...aint.

45dotACP
09-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProPerhaps I might interject.

There are a number of fairly prominent hijinks involving open carriers being relieved if their gun by an enterprising criminal with a half decent right hand delivered from behind.

Sure, you could live in condition orange all the time, have the chin and H2H skills of a dude like Stipe Miocic, a multilevel retention holster, and still get the brick to the back of the head and be a gun poorer because of it.

But those aren't typically the OC crowd.

To whit: It involves some mental gymnastics to think that a dude who walks into the store with an AK-47 will see a neckbeard with a Taurus and a SERPA and re-think anything other than who he's gonna light up first.

People shoot at, or assault cops all the time. The deterrent effect of OC or even of a LEO badge assumes said criminal is in a frame of mind that is subject to reason.

TL;DR Not all people are subject to reason.

ETA: In before the thread lock!

corneileous
09-04-2019, 02:42 PM
The consensus, universal as far as I can tell, among experienced and knowledgeable shooters, trainers, etc is that open carry in town/commercial areas absent some exigent circumstance is a disqualifier from being smart enough or qualified enough. I agree with that.

It is not a safe deterrent, it exposes the carrier and those surrounding them to harm from bad actors, and it is totally off-putting to most people (people who vote). Open carrier in town/commercial areas is a boil on the gun community. I expect it to be lanced eventually.

That’s pretty much my sentiments exactly and yes, I agree but since this was coming from a law-enforcement officer saying what he did about somebody who open carries, I was more or less really only just curious if he was saying that as his own personal opinion or if he was saying that as a cop.... in other words... that unless you’re a cop with a badge, that you have no business open carrying. It’s like you’re saying you’re not smart enough to do it unless you’re a cop.

But I should say that I don’t think that’s no longer a mystery.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 02:46 PM

It’s nothing like that. But what, after the comment you made, are you saying you didn’t expect the response you got??....lol. C’mon, now.

Zincwarrior
09-04-2019, 02:52 PM
It is also exceedingly clear to everyone that this is not your first rodeo.
I remember my first rodeo. Running after a lamb in boots is HARD when you're three! I just wanted popcorn not a workout chasing livestock with thirty other kids!

hufnagel
09-04-2019, 02:53 PM
So, does this mean the new red Federal 550 round boxes will be gone as well?

RevolverRob
09-04-2019, 02:58 PM
Hornady CEO noted that they haven't allowed Hornady ammo to be sold through Wal-Mart for a dozen years now, because it was clear to them that Wal-Mart was anti-2A.

Fuck Wal-Mart.

I think I'll go buy some more Hornady.

farscott
09-04-2019, 03:13 PM
So, does this mean the new red Federal 550 round boxes will be gone as well?

That is a really good question because rimfire ammo is, as we all know, used in pistols and rifles. And the 550-round red box is a Wal-Mart exclusive.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 03:50 PM
That is a really good question because rimfire ammo is, as we all know, used in pistols and rifles. And the 550-round red box is a Wal-Mart exclusive.

Well, who knows. I wouldn’t be surprised that if it’s just handgun ammo that they’re looking to not sell anymore, that unless it’s ammunition that’s really only made for rifles that, that’s probably all they are going to keep.

Zincwarrior
09-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Well, who knows. I wouldn’t be surprised that if it’s just handgun ammo that they’re looking though not sell anymore, that unless it’s ammunition that really is only made for rifles that, that’s probably all they are going to keep.

Frankly I don't see why a store manager would keep any ammunition. Whats left? A few boxes of .30-06 and .243? What about the other shooting gear in the store? I imagine that might go away too.

farscott
09-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the late breaking news there, Tom Brokaw but uh, this still goes back to what I said before: if that’s the best you can do at interjecting, then I would think the wise thing to do would be to just stay out of it if you can’t bring anything useful and relevant to the sub-discussion between those two people. You know.... kinda like the whole saying where it says, and I quote, “if you can’t say nothing nice, then don’t say nothing at all”....[emoji41]

I will give your comments all the consideration they so richly deserve.

corneileous
09-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Frankly I don't see why a store manager would keep any ammunition. Whats left? A few boxes of .30-06 and .243? What about the other shooting gear in the store? I imagine that might go away too.

Exactly. It’s like they might as well just not even sell any ammunition at all.

But yeah, I’m sure the time is coming where all those gun cleaners, and holsters, targets, bags, safes, camo gear... will start to offend the liberals as well.

Zincwarrior
09-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Exactly. It’s like they might as well just not even sell any ammunition at all.

But yeah, I’m sure the time is coming where all those gun cleaners, and holsters, targets, bags, safes, camo gear... will start to offend the liberals as well.

Thats irrelevant to them. What is relevant is $ per shelf space and product churn.

Crow Hunter
09-04-2019, 04:23 PM

Actually, out of morbid curiosity, I went to our local Crap-mart yesterday just to see what they had.

Of course, I had to navigate around the two guys there talking about "wantin to get one o dem 7.62X39 AK-10s" (Seriously, that is what I overheard) getting some keys made and the morbidly obese guy in the Handi-cart trying to tip it over leaning to get something off the bottom shelf that he should have been getting off his fat ass to get.

When they do get rid of that ammo, there will be less than a single shelf of ammo left. The gun rack had several piles of handgun ammo stacked around the stocks of the 6 or so black powder rifles, the next 4 shelves had a mix of all the basic handgun ammo (including several boxes of .357 Sig of all things) and a whole half shelf of nothing but value packaged 5.56.

About half of a shelf on the bottom right had .243, 30-30, 30-06 and 270 and that was pretty much it.

The only thing that was even remotely sold out was the dove load shelf over beside the gun rack. Probably since dove season started on Sunday. :)

45dotACP
09-04-2019, 04:26 PM
It’s funny you say that, because all I see is one little ant that just took off in one direction and then all the sudden all the rest of the ants behind him just started following right along.

One might even say it was a...uh...coterie of ants?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
09-04-2019, 04:33 PM
Like the point I've made in another thread recently. Firearms and ammunition have low profit margins. It made sense when Wal-Mart was still a backwater entity that sold everything, besides groceries, to sell guns and ammunition.

Now, with rivals like Academy in retail centers and Amazon online, it doesn't make much sense for Wal-Mart to continue running a "loss-leader" section. Anything you can buy at Wal-Mart you can buy on Amazon, except the actual ammunition. And that you can buy cheaper online. At this point for the few percentage points of profit that Wal-Mart could earn on sporting goods, can be gained back and grown, by trading that whole section out for something else (more clothes or shoes, most likely). Eliminating the employees, book/record keeping, and winning some social virtue - is all win-win-win for them.

Wal-Mart is the perfect manifestation of sellouts, so I'm not surprised in the least.

ralph
09-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Myself, this doesn’t bother me one bit, I reload all my ammo, 9mm, .45, .223, etc, I haven’t bought ammo in a couple of years, and that was for my 1301 tac, I might suggest that some of you who live in rural areas (as do I) might want to consider buying a press and start loading your own.. Stock up on components, now, before the panicking starts next year over the elections.. In a way this kinda fits in with what alot of people have been saying, I mean, we’ve had almost 4 years to buy mags, ammo, any firearms you may have wanted that’s likely to be banned, and here we are, you can’t say you weren’t warned.. While wal mart may have used virtue signaling to cover up poor ammo sales, the real problem is SJW CEO’s who will do everything they can to make things difficult even if it’s illegal, and the public as a whole could give a rats ass less, after all it’s not their ox that’s getting gored. This is going to be a continuous problem in the future.

Depending on a discount store for your ammunition needs was always a weak link, Just like politicians, they all too often are willing to do the wrong thing, if they think they’ll benefit from it. Give Dillon a call, they’ll gladly send you a catalog, and stop depending on some store whose wish-washy ammo polices, could change next week with the threat of a lawsuit from some anti-gun group..

10mmfanboy
09-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Hellmart is what made me decide to finally manufacture my own ammo. Every time I'd go to the nearest one to me, I'd be standing there for an hour flagging workers down, them calling on the pa to other workers, then have different workers walk buy after a half hour asking if anyone is helping me. It wasn't once, nor twice, but every single time.

I don't think I've ever been in a hellmart without my pistol for the last 21 years of my life. I don't plan on starting now. I would never go to a hellmart without a pistol at least. Did you see the freaks there?

Stephanie B
09-04-2019, 07:00 PM
I don't think I've ever been in a hellmart without my pistol for the last 21 years of my life. I don't plan on starting now. I would never go to a hellmart without a pistol at least. Did you see the freaks there?

That's why there's over 2,000 pages on the People of Walmart (http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/) website.

sandy11B3V5W
09-04-2019, 07:25 PM
I'm just a working class guy with a young family. I've got no time to sit in my basement and pump a reloading press. I'm one of the poors, so I buy my ammo 2 to 5 hundred rounds at a time.

All 4 Walmarts in my town sell 150 round boxes of Winchester 124 grain NATO for 27 dollars and 200 round boxes of Federal Champion 115 grain for 33 dollars. It's always in stock and there's always somebody there to sell it to me. I'm in and out in less than 10 minutes. Who competes with that? Nobody, not even SG ammo.

The cracks about Walmart and the people who shop there sound pretty arrogant to me. Are you guys really too good to walk in to a Walmart to buy some of life's mundane shit? Where are you getting your 9 dollar coffee pot to take to work? Or some 2 dollar laundry baskets?

corneileous
09-04-2019, 07:44 PM
I'm just a working class guy with a young family. I've got no time to sit in my basement and pump a reloading press. I'm one of the poors, so I buy my ammo 2 to 5 hundred rounds at a time.

All 4 Walmarts in my town sell 150 round boxes of Winchester 124 grain NATO for 27 dollars and 200 round boxes of Federal Champion 115 grain for 33 dollars. It's always in stock and there's always somebody there to sell it to me. I'm in and out in less than 10 minutes. Who competes with that? Nobody, not even SG ammo.

The cracks about Walmart and the people who shop there sound pretty arrogant to me. Are you guys really too good to walk in to a Walmart to buy some of life's mundane shit? Where are you getting your 9 dollar coffee pot to take to work? Or some 2 dollar laundry baskets?

Yeah, the price they sell those Winchester white boxes is pretty hard to beat. And there’s no shipping, aaand you can get it that same day.

Drang
09-04-2019, 07:49 PM

And service automobiles.

Surprised it took until page 2 to ask that, actually...

Stephanie B
09-04-2019, 08:20 PM

I’ve bought a lot of stuff from them. For a few years, they were the only supermarket in my last town.

I had no room for a bench press. During the ‘12 shortage, I made .38s with a Lee hand-held press, which was a major PITA. But it was that or give up shooting matches.

My plan was to slowly build up a good stockpile of range fodder in anticipation of something stupid happening next year. Looks as though I got the timing wrong.

But you have a point: This is going to hurt those who live in rural areas who can’t afford higher-priced stuff. 250 rounds of .38 that were $68 would be north of $100 in a gun shop.

10mmfanboy
09-04-2019, 08:51 PM
I guess it depends where you live, I live in a very rural place and have to travel 30 miles each way just to get to a Walmart. I have never seen good ammo deals that others here have seen, ever. In fact my local LGS has better ammo prices. Then again most of the meat I see in my nearest Walmart is turning green, and I just took a picture of the clearance frappe with completely rotted strawberries on top.

I have also seen a drunk dude piss right in the beer isle. Guess my Walmart is different though, because I don't know one person who looks forward to going, not one.

You can get into reloading fairly cheap these days and do not need a progressive press that is fully automated to get started. If you only shoot 9mm then it probably isn't worth it.

rayrevolver
09-04-2019, 09:12 PM

I have not found a cheaper place for motor oil than Walmart. And now they sell 6 qt Havoline Pro DS ($19 full synthetic) boxes online with free in-store pickup. That means a visit to this big orange tower that automatically coughs up my box. Perfect for my F150. Six quarts in a wine box type thing!

I don't buy much ammo since I shoot 147gr 9mm, although they had a decent price for Win Train last year.

Don't forget 50cal ammo cans are cheap in the stores. Much cheaper than the surplus stuff online.

Locally it's the cheapest place for 9mm ammo and it does suck to lose that option.

mmc45414
09-04-2019, 09:33 PM
I don't understand whom they are trying to appease. The folks who would be cheered by this aren't going to Walmart because they exploit their workers and because Walmart has been gutting their local downtowns.
Yeah, I thought more about this and you are right, you know...
The only people that are going to be glad they quit selling ammo are the people that hate them anyway. I think they probably just figure they can quit selling ammo as a way to avoid any possibility that the next fuck face that does some shit like this has a WM receipt in his bloody pocket for some ammo. For this they will forgo about 0.00000001% of 1% of the amount of money they make selling beer and smokes.

AKDoug
09-04-2019, 10:19 PM
I guess it depends where you live, I live in a very rural place and have to travel 30 miles each way just to get to a Walmart. I have never seen good ammo deals that others here have seen, ever. In fact my local LGS has better ammo prices. Then again most of the meat I see in my nearest Walmart is turning green, and I just took a picture of the clearance frappe with completely rotted strawberries on top.

I have also seen a drunk dude piss right in the beer isle. Guess my Walmart is different though, because I don't know one person who looks forward to going, not one.

You can get into reloading fairly cheap these days and do not need a progressive press that is fully automated to get started. If you only shoot 9mm then it probably isn't worth it.

Same in our area. I checked online for the local Walmart price on .308 ammo. Two of my local vendors that list their prices online meet or beat that price.

As for reloading. I reloaded when I had a young family. Kids can be fantastic helpers and I lost track of how many 5.56 my kids tumbled, trimmed and hand primed. I had a regular factory going when they were still around. Now it sucks because I have to do it myself, but they aren't shooting my ammo up either.

And finally.. I have no clue why any retailer that isn't specifically into selling guns and sporting goods would even stock guns and ammo. There is no money in it. I'm an FFL that owns a hardware store, equipment rental and Stihl shop. I don't stock guns or ammo because every single thing I currently sell have vastly higher profit margins. Why give up the space for low margin stuff?

10mmfanboy
09-04-2019, 11:35 PM
I also thought I read something to the effect that not all Walmart were going to stop the sale of guns and ammo, but more location base. I guess that was wrong though.

Funny story I forgot about was the time a guy came in the front door while I was checking out with a shotgun resting on his shoulder. I really thought I was shooting someone that day! I started crouching down between the checkout lanes and was waiting for him to start leveling the shotgun. Luckily he didn't, he was just an idiot trying to return a shotgun he bought there. I didn't see one person bat an eye either until at least a minute or two later smh.

Joe in PNG
09-04-2019, 11:37 PM
I thought Walmart already had a strategy to stop the sale of ammo via never having anyone at the gun counter?

idahojess
09-04-2019, 11:46 PM
This is the part of their memo that I find most bothersome:

"We do not sell military-style rifles, and we believe the reauthorization of the Assault Weapons ban should be debated to determine its effectiveness.We must also do more, as a country, to understand the root causes that lead to this type of violent behavior. Today, I’m sending letters to the White House and the Congressional leadership that call for action on these common sense measures. As we’ve seen before, these horrific events occur and then the spotlight fades. We should not allow that to happen. Congress and the administration should act."

I don't have any problem with them not allowing open carry in their stores. I disagree with their decision to not sell handgun ammo. Prior to the ammo drought 2009, it was pretty standard for me to swing by Wal Mart before heading to the range. Those are their business decisions though. But, why venture into politics?

They were happy to sell AR's when everyone was panic buying them in 2012-13.

Lots of other places for me to shop these days.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/03/the-full-memo-from-walmarts-ceo-about-pulling-back-on-gun-sales.html

Hambo
09-05-2019, 05:39 AM

That's sixteen to eighteen cents per round, and there are multiple options at that price on sgammo and others. If you're willing to shoot Wolf you can get that cheaper. Instead of spending $33 a few times, save it up and buy a case.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger

RJ
09-05-2019, 05:40 AM

I feel for you.

I think you are representative of today's WalMart shopper - just trying to get by doing the best they can. I'm very sorry that corporate virtue signalling seems to have trumped any focus WalMart might have had on your particular interest - namely purchasing a legal product in their stores at a price set by the company's massive bulk buying power and product distribution framework.

I've shopped at WalMart lots of times on the road in an RV doing extended travel - it's often the most reliable source of household goods and services at a cheap price. Sure it might be in a sketchy part of town, and attended by sketchy people, but if you go between 9AM and noon most weekdays, it was manageable.

Now I'm working again, I don't have any need to go to WalMart. Had a conversation with the Mrs. last night that we very likely never will. I have the advantage of sgammo.com or targetsportsusa.com or luckygunner.com for ammo supplies online. I've not bough ammo at a store for a couple years; less a couple boxes of gr .38 for a small revolver before I settled on a specific load. I'm also pondering how much, exactly, ammo is "enough" for me and what I do; which is the same conversation I had with myself before the 2016 election.

With Kroger piling on as well, I see other major corporate boards smelling blood in the water and joining the Circus - I'd be surprised if we don't see additional announcements in the coming weeks.

I haven't thought about it for years but in 2014 when I started shooting you literally could not find 9mm ammo anywhere, WalMart included. You had to have an app and refresh it daily to find a store that had stock to buy if you wanted a box or two. And hot foot it to the store when it showed up otherwise the Retirees got there first and cleaned it out lol.

I like to hope for the best but plan for the worst. I spent some time in Cali recently, and you only have to look at the situation there to see what could be coming nationwide. With a chance that a D takeover next year is at least possible, I'll be evaluating my current uh stockpile and probably moving into investing long term this fall and winter before ammo prices go nuts.

fixer
09-05-2019, 06:07 AM
390,000 people are injured or killed in car accidents in the US every year due to texting and driving. I wonder how many of those cell phones or plans were purchased at WalMart. Those people have more blood on their hands than just the guns and ammunition they sell.

And then of course there is the whole alcohol thing.......

And since hammers are used to kill more people every year than modern sporting rifles, I wonder how many of those hammers were sold by WalMart?

The bowels of Hell will be full of WalMart execs if they don't do something!

Cynicism aside - Sad as WalMart was the place of my very first gun purchase a Browning mkIII HiPower.

Don't forget tires and the basic vehicle services they provide...

Total fucking hypocrisy...ban ammo....keep tires...because do something.

Fucking clown nation.

fixer
09-05-2019, 06:14 AM
I've got no time to sit in my basement and pump a reloading press.

No shit right here.

and I only buy 200 at a time because I don't want to commit $200-$300 to a potential dud of a lot of 1000 rds and be stuck with it.

fixer
09-05-2019, 06:25 AM
Can't even discuss a major news item like this with out it turning into pages of:

Walmart virtue signaling
Open Carry vs Conceal carry
Look at me I buy 10,000 rds at a time
Look at me I reload all fucking day

This thread is a really good illustration of why the RKBA is gonna hit the toilet in the not too distant future.

Aray
09-05-2019, 06:35 AM
No shit right here.

and I only buy 200 at a time because I don't want to commit $200-$300 to a potential dud of a lot of 1000 rds and be stuck with it.

Your dud lot statement piques my interest. Have you seen this to be an issue?

ratter75
09-05-2019, 06:39 AM
The “food” that Walmart sells kills exponentially more people than handgun ammo ever will. I support their right to do business however they want. And I’ll reserve my right to think they’re the retail equivalent of a trough urinal.

Stephanie B
09-05-2019, 06:53 AM
The “food” that Walmart sells kills exponentially more people than handgun ammo ever will. I support their right to do business however they want. And I’ll reserve my right to think they’re the retail equivalent of a trough urinal.
Ban Ding-Dongs, for the sake of the children...... :rolleyes:

LittleLebowski
09-05-2019, 06:54 AM
Thread is back on track, K thx bye.

mtnbkr
09-05-2019, 06:59 AM

You're gonna need to provide some actual evidence to back up that statement. At least around here (and other regions we've visited), Walmart carries the same foodstuffs as virtually every other grocery store. In many cases, WM has a greater variety *and* a lower price on the items carried in other stores. It's why we do the bulk of our grocery shopping there.

Chris

ratter75
09-05-2019, 07:17 AM
You're gonna need to provide some actual evidence to back up that statement. At least around here (and other regions we've visited), Walmart carries the same foodstuffs as virtually every other grocery store. In many cases, WM has a greater variety *and* a lower price on the items carried in other stores. It's why we do the bulk of our grocery shopping there.

Chris

Heart disease and cancer kill, what, a million people in this country each year? Can we agree that this is due, in large measure, to diet? Highly processed, high-sugar foods in particular. Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like this is generally accepted science at this point. And this is to say nothing of tobacco and alcohol, which Walmart also sells around the country. Are other grocery stores selling the same? Yes but last I checked my local grocery store wasn’t virtue-signaling about gun violence.

LittleLebowski
09-05-2019, 07:17 AM
I have not found a cheaper place for motor oil than Walmart. And now they sell 6 qt Havoline Pro DS ($19 full synthetic) boxes online with free in-store pickup. That means a visit to this big orange tower that automatically coughs up my box. Perfect for my F150. Six quarts in a wine box type thing!

I don't buy much ammo since I shoot 147gr 9mm, although they had a decent price for Win Train last year.

Don't forget 50cal ammo cans are cheap in the stores. Much cheaper than the surplus stuff online.

Locally it's the cheapest place for 9mm ammo and it does suck to lose that option.

Amazon synthetic (https://amzn.to/2NSd6jo) is very highly rated and is the same as the Walmart stuff.

rcbusmc24
09-05-2019, 07:18 AM
As I posted over on lightfighter when I heard about this my biggest concern is that historically for the past decade Walmart has purchased three to four months worth of the total civilian domestic ammo production every year for distribution through their stores. Most of that has been pistol ammo and " assault rifle" ammo. Ammo sales are flat. There is little profit margin in it and Walmart has used ammo as a loss leader to get customers in the door for a while now, look at how convenient for you it is..... The same way they did music CD's in the ninety's and early 2000's... Them discontinuing ammo sales was a dispassionate business decision that they worked the numbers out on and said..... "Fuck it. We're not gonna lose much if any money, most customers will keep coming back and numbers wise ammo sales are way down"....The ability for the CEO's to virtue signal is just a added bonus.....

Going back to the domestic ammo manufacturers though. That yearly contract that they could count on every year going away.... that's gonna leave a big ol red mark on some spreadsheets.....and I predict it will dramatically affect ammo availability and production numbers/ pricing in the coming years.... As production rates are shrunk down or lines go idle....

Guinnessman
09-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Heart disease and cancer kill, what, a million people in this country each year? Can we agree that this is due, in large measure, to diet? Highly processed, high-sugar foods in particular. Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like this is generally accepted science at this point. And this is to say nothing of tobacco and alcohol, which Walmart also sells around the country. Are other grocery stores selling the same? Yes but last I checked my local grocery store wasn’t virtue-signaling about gun violence.

But treating cancer is big business in this country. What would the big drug companies treat if cancer went away? :p

Jay Cunningham
09-05-2019, 07:25 AM
Can't even discuss a major news item like this with out it turning into pages of:

Walmart virtue signaling
Open Carry vs Conceal carry
Look at me I buy 10,000 rds at a time
Look at me I reload all fucking day

This thread is a really good illustration of why the RKBA is gonna hit the toilet in the not too distant future.

ha ha lol good stuff

Aray
09-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Amazon synthetic (https://amzn.to/2NSd6jo) is very highly rated and is the same as the Walmart stuff.

I think that's made by Warren under the Dexos license, like Supertech in some regions.

ratter75
09-05-2019, 07:28 AM
But treating cancer is big business in this country. What would the big drug companies treat if cancer went away? :p

I wonder where Walmart ranks on the list of top sellers of opioids?

LittleLebowski
09-05-2019, 07:31 AM
I think that's made by Warren under the Dexos license, like Supertech in some regions.

Correct. I was using Supertech, not anymore.

Amp
09-05-2019, 08:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJqIa6MuCNw

mtnbkr
09-05-2019, 09:04 AM

One can eat healthy while shopping at Walmart. They do carry fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, and whole grain foods. They even carry foods for people with dietary restrictions (voluntary or otherwise). To say WM is responsible for heart disease and cancer because they sell the same crap that every other store is disingenuous. They're selling what people buy, not forcing people to buy foods they don't want. Hardly a urine trough...

The other stores don't "virtue signal" because they don't sell guns and ammo. They're not constant targets for people to go try out their new CCW rig (google CC at Walmart on any gun forum). They don't frequently have OCers in the stores (I see way more OCers at WM than any other grocery store). It's constantly being rubbed in WM's proverbial nose to the point they felt they had to take action, much like Starbucks a while back. I don't agree with it, but I understand.

Chris

Glenn E. Meyer
09-05-2019, 09:09 AM
The difference in the causes of death arguments (guns, alcohol, fatty foods) is the difference between active and passive.

The gun deaths have an active agent, that is aiming aggression at you. People view that very differently than a passive threat like I'm to fat. Even the DUI is probably not aimed at you personally in most cases. That's the difference. We are tuned to pay real attention to attacks that are personal.

That Guy
09-05-2019, 09:11 AM
I'm going off-topic here, so my apologies. I did consider making this a private message, but as I don't know US telecomms that well someone else can correct me if they feel I am talking BS.

My wife and I have considered moving a bit further out when I retire, and we were looking at a home just east of Anderson, AL (population ~300). One of the things that stopped the move is that Internet access on the property is limited to satellite providers or a cellular provider. The cellular provider speed on AT&T on the property is 4G; there is no Verizon coverage. Without a good ISP, online shopping is not possible

I live on a different continent, so things might be a bit different. That said, I moved to near a village with about 900 residents some five years ago, and my choices of Internet access are limited realistically only to cellular. I still manage to bring down the quality of discussions here, shop online, watch Netflix, etc. on a piss poor quality 4G connection with no major issues.

There are some limits to what can be done due to the lack of quality of our connection. For example, my girlfriend can't listen to music online at the same time as I am having a teleconference on Skype. But in general, we manage just fine. (And with a better antenna, we might even get a slightly better connection. I have one just sitting on a desk, but testing it has been problematic with the weather just not co-operating with our schedule. Hell, the only reason I am reading this whole thread is because it started to rain heavily just around the time I decided to go outside.)

My point being, I wouldn't let the lack of a better Internet connection get in the way of a desire to go rural if 4G is available. (Now 3G, that can be a bit of a pain in the arse to use...)

Hambo
09-05-2019, 09:12 AM
No shit right here.

It's unlikely that an entire lot would be duds. Recalled for some reason, possibly. Even if you had problems with a specific lot, companies make it right. I have no idea how much ammo we bought during my career, but we only had problems with one type in one specific brand of pistol.

Buy 200 or 20000, the individual failure rate is probably the same.

ralph
09-05-2019, 09:21 AM
No shit right here.

I’v been reloading for over 30years, and have probably loaded a couple hundred thousand rounds in that time..I can count the number of dud rounds I’ve had on 3 fingers.. Reloading is a skill, and if you’re easily bored or impatient, then you probably shouldn’t do it. Right now Wally World ammo prices are cheap, but when their current stock runs out, and other places smell blood and pile on, your choices will become more and more limited, and the price will only go up. It’s possible that in the future you’ll be forced to buy online, pay outrageous shipping (it’s well known that UPS, and FEDEX are anti gun) or, stop shooting (the desired outcome of this behavior modification attempt) It’s always been the anti gun crowds plan to strangle ammunition supply, after all a gun without ammo, is at best a club..

corneileous
09-05-2019, 10:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJqIa6MuCNw

That’s a good video. More people need to watch that.

ratter75
09-05-2019, 10:53 AM
One can eat healthy while shopping at Walmart. They do carry fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, and whole grain foods. They even carry foods for people with dietary restrictions (voluntary or otherwise). To say WM is responsible for heart disease and cancer because they sell the same crap that every other store is disingenuous. They're selling what people buy, not forcing people to buy foods they don't want. Hardly a urine trough...

The other stores don't "virtue signal" because they don't sell guns and ammo. They're not constant targets for people to go try out their new CCW rig (google CC at Walmart on any gun forum). They don't frequently have OCers in the stores (I see way more OCers at WM than any other grocery store). It's constantly being rubbed in WM's proverbial nose to the point they felt they had to take action, much like Starbucks a while back. I don't agree with it, but I understand.

Chris

I don’t think we disagree, but maybe come at this from different perspectives. Nor did I say WM causes cancer and heart disease. But they focused in on a product niche that they feel is harmful and stopped selling those products. The actual measurable harm caused by those products is arguably much, much less than the harm caused by other products they sell. So why the focus? To gain favor with somebody. Or to cut financial losses and make it look like they care about a particular social cause. If the former, I don’t think they were trying to gain favor with their customers, but rather the people way up the ladder who make these decisions are trying to gain favor within the circles they travel, either politically or class-wise. But either way it’s disingenuous, ineffective, and IMO just plain dumb.

An unintended side effect of this move is that they are essentially admitting that they think that by selling ammunition and allowing people to lawfully open carry they were part of a problem. And in turn, the people carrying in stores and buying handgun ammunition are also part of a problem.

I’ve gone into WM more than once, pointed out a particular brand/caliber, and when asked “how much”, replied “all of it.” And I’m sure I’m not the only one here who has done that. Sweet baby Jesus...just IMAGINE what the people who sit on the board at Walmart think of me, and you.

The greater problem, as alluded to above, is that the wrong side of this argument is currently doing more to win hearts and minds. And this is one more nail in that coffin. In the past I’ve done my best to avoid shopping at WM because I really just don’t enjoy the crowds, the lines, etc. Now I’ve got another reason to avoid it.

OlongJohnson
09-05-2019, 12:06 PM

I crossed any Walmart house brand lubes off my acceptable-to-use list several years ago when they had to stop selling some stuff that was tested independently and found to not meet the standards it was labeled as meeting. I don't have time to keep up with whether a given product they are selling now is OK; they've shown they're willing to sell fraudulently labeled product under their own brand. Good enough for a do-not-buy from me.

Mystery
09-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Walmart will continue selling hunting ammo.
Hunting ammo cannot kill humans, they only kill deer and pigs.

Walmart, if you really want to stop, stop selling all ammo and guns.
Oh also, bows and arrows.
Anything that can kill human.
If you can't do that, then don't just stop selling handgun ammo.
Stupid!

farscott
09-05-2019, 12:42 PM
I'm going off-topic here, so my apologies. I did consider making this a private message, but as I don't know US telecomms that well someone else can correct me if they feel I am talking BS.

I live on a different continent, so things might be a bit different. That said, I moved to near a village with about 900 residents some five years ago, and my choices of Internet access are limited realistically only to cellular. I still manage to bring down the quality of discussions here, shop online, watch Netflix, etc. on a piss poor quality 4G connection with no major issues.

There are some limits to what can be done due to the lack of quality of our connection. For example, my girlfriend can't listen to music online at the same time as I am having a teleconference on Skype. But in general, we manage just fine. (And with a better antenna, we might even get a slightly better connection. I have one just sitting on a desk, but testing it has been problematic with the weather just not co-operating with our schedule. Hell, the only reason I am reading this whole thread is because it started to rain heavily just around the time I decided to go outside.)

My point being, I wouldn't let the lack of a better Internet connection get in the way of a desire to go rural if 4G is available. (Now 3G, that can be a bit of a pain in the arse to use...)

It is not just the AT&T 4G connection; it is also the low signal strength that drives the change from AT&T LTE to AT&T 4G. The cellular companies do not get a financial payback for the investment in a tower that serves 300 people. The low signal strength effectively lowers the available channel bandwidth. When I did the tests, I could not get a mobile Google finance page to load on my iPhone in less than thirty seconds.

AT&T 46 LTE provides 9.7-50.2 Mbps download while AT&T 4G is rated for 2.4-7.1Mbps download. In my experience, 4G averages even lower than 2.4Mbps. https://about.att.com/sites/broadband/performance

rayrevolver
09-05-2019, 02:04 PM

Havoline is better oil... And cheaper!

Hell, I would pay the extra $2-4 for Mobil 1 over the Amazon oil. At least you have Mobils backing.

Also, QSUD is another great option, with a rebate is cheaper than Amazon.

Back to the topic, I will need to think on whether I go back to Walmart. I do have other options.

deputyG23
09-05-2019, 02:36 PM
The only thing I buy at Walmart anymore is diabetic test strips at $17/100. My insurance copay for 50 strips was $30 so I will continue to buy those. Haven't bought ammo from them in a few years.

Cypher
09-05-2019, 04:02 PM
National-WorldWalgreens asks customers not to openly carry guns in its storesRetailer joins Walmart, Kroger with policy

(CNN) - Five retailers have announced this week that they will start asking customers not to openly carry guns into their stores in states where open carry is legal.

Walgreens, CVS and Wegmans announced the new policy Thursday afternoon, following announcementsfrom Walmart and Kroger on Wednesday.

"We support the efforts of individuals and groups working to prevent gun violence, and continually review our policies and procedures to ensure our stores remain a safe environment," CVS said in a statement.

All of the retailers will still allow law enforcement officers to openly carry firearms.

Companies have faced increasing pressure from customers and employees to take action to prevent gun violence after a spate of mass shootings in recent weeks, including one inside a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas. The moves represent a major shift in the way retailers are positioning themselves in the gun debate.

Walmart is the country's largest retailer. CVS and Walgreens are the largest and second-largest pharmacy chains. The companies have thousands of stores in places where customers may be opposed to restrictions on when and where they can carry guns, but all have now aligned themselves with the movement for gun reforms.

"Prohibiting open carry sends a very strong cultural signal that companies are siding with the safety of families," said Shannon Watts, founder of advocacy group Moms Demand Action, which has spent years pushing these and other companies to stop allowing open carry.

"They know their customers are with them on this ... they want to be on the right side of history but they also know that these actions are good for business," Watts said.

It's spreading

I said it the other thread in a slightly different way but we have the radical open carry idiots to thank for this.

I don't open carry. I think open carry is a really dumb thing to do but I support your right to make your own decision on that.

It's not the guy walking around with a Hi-Point on his hip that's got people freaked out, it's the idiot walking around Walmart or Starbucks with an AR on his back

Glenn E. Meyer
09-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Prohibiting open carry sends a very strong cultural signal that companies are siding with the safety of families

That's an important point. OC may be a theoretical right but all the OC ban signs send a message to most folks that gun carriers are not to be trusted. In TX, the concealed carry signs were rare, but now the OC signs are everywhere. Just like no smoking signs send a cultural message that smoking is a bad thing, the OC signs do the same. It was a major intellectual failure on the part of the rabid OC posers and ego driven exhibitionists not to see this or perhaps even wanted to shock. The idea that OC would make the average person accept guns was washed away with folks like the Chipolte Twins and other AR audit folks - along with the rampages.

Given the failed messaging of the NRA outside of the choir, gun rights will be on a slide from the high point of the CCW movement.

Amp
09-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Walmart should add security to its stores if its going to ban guns, says former Hardee's CEO

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6083810175001/#sp=show-clips

Baldanders
09-05-2019, 06:19 PM
Argue whatever you want about the rationality and ultimate morality of WalMart's decision, it was a well calculated bit of virtue signaling which will probably help their bottom line.

Crying about the irrationality and immorality of Wal-Mart's decision is pointless virtue signaling that does nothing but perhaps make us feel better for a second.

Propaganda is neither good nor bad as a concept. But the NRAs utterly pointless virtue signaling to the most extreme cultural warriors among 2A supporters has been one of the most counter-productive propaganda campaigns ever. It couldn't have been more destructive if Bloomberg had managed a secret takeover of the NRA and put in brilliant and rabid propagandists who formulated messages to make us look completely racist and insane.

We can cry, or we can step our game up. Step one: stop indulging in sunk cost fallacy and let the NRA die. It is utterly ruined as an effective public voice for us for a generation, at least.

Baldanders
09-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Oh, and another tip of the hat to the equally pointless virtue signaling OC folks.

No one gives half a fuck about your ideological purity. Y'alls actions have not done a damn thing to "normalize guns." You made it look bizarre.

ralph
09-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Oh, and another tip of the hat to the equally pointless virtue signaling OC folks.

No one gives half a fuck about your ideological purity. Y'alls actions have not done a damn thing to "normalize guns." You made it look bizarre.

+1, I couldn’t agree with you more.

scw2
09-05-2019, 06:41 PM

I wonder if they’re trying to improve their ESG score so investors with that mandate don’t avoid their stock.

Joe in PNG
09-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Argue whatever you want about the rationality and ultimate morality of WalMart's decision, it was a well calculated bit of virtue signaling which will probably help their bottom line.

I don't understand how that is going to happen. You can break down the client base as such:
1-People who patronize the business, and don't care, and will continue to do whatever.
2-People who don't patronize the business, who will look at this in a positive light, and will begin to patronize the business
3-People who patronize the business, and will look at this in a negative light, and will no longer patronize the business

For the bottom line to increase, they need to win enough people from group 2 to offset the people from group 3.
I just don't see that happening.

davidwords
09-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Guys and gals, if you didn't read the whole CEO letter you need to. This isn't about a store just not selling ammo to look good, this is the largest retailer *advocating* a curtailment of the Bill of Rights.

"We do not sell military-style rifles, and we believe the reauthorization of the Assault Weapons ban should be debated to determine its effectiveness...I'm sending letters to the White House and the Congressional leadership that call for action on these common sense measures. "

I am not generally someone who boycotts, but this is a three orders of magnitude more significant than Dick's Sporting goods. If Wal-Mart bears significant financial losses in all sectors (not just ammo), we will likely be in good shape for another decade. If not, things will get worse.

I like Wal-Mart (which makes this sting) and I live in the country, with Wal-Mart the only store at all near my house which has fresh produce. Still, I will plan on buying everything elsewhere now. I will even patronize other stores if they are not 2nd Amendment friendly, because Wal-Mart has taken a stand and it matters much more. Starbucks, Target and others are asking people not to open carry, but it is Wal-Mart that is making a point about changes in law and now partnering with Bloomberg's Everytown for Gun Safety.

Wal-Mart leaders want to undermine your Bill of Rights.

This one is the one to fight.

Shop somewhere else.

scjbash
09-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Walmart told the Mercer County, WV Deputy Sheriff's Association that because of the new open carry ban they wouldn't be able to host their annual fundraiser. After a ton of complaints they backtracked and blamed it on miscommunication. The DSA told them to pound sand.

RoyGBiv
09-05-2019, 09:56 PM
https://youtu.be/QJqIa6MuCNw

BillSWPA
09-05-2019, 09:59 PM

Quoted in part because I can only click "like" once.

I have not read the entire thread, but in case it has not been mentioned, Walgreens, CVS, and Wegmans have now also now enacted policies prohibiting open carry in their stores.

https://www.wtae.com/article/walgreens-and-cvs-ask-customers-not-to-openly-carry-guns-in-their-stores/28929430

The article is not 100% clear about whether the signage will ban open carry only, or any carry of guns. While it will have no impact on my concealed carry in Pennsylvania, a "no guns" sign in neighboring Ohio has the force of law, and will force me to leave my gun in my car in a place wherein I would have otherwise carried it without a problem.

How many more businesses will adopt such policies before the open carry fools finally realize how much harm they are doing to our rights?

In other threads, the open carry supporters specifically declined to talk about their absolutely abysmal track record of "normalizing" guns, and instead spent post after post quoting statutes to argue for the legality of their actions. They continually failed to address the repeatedly made point that just because something is legal does not make it responsible, helpful, or wise.

OlongJohnson
09-05-2019, 10:00 PM
I have probably skipped a page or two on this thread, but here are some ideas I haven't seen anyone entertain as possible. We're just all assuming they're not the case, but they seem to be within the realm of possibility.

What if the management team at Walmart, like most of the elites in this country, just simply doesn't get it on gun control? What if the events that have happened recently, including one in one of their stores, has caused them to reflect on the situation, and asked themselves what they can do to help make things better? Maybe they, because they think like the cultural/economic elites they are and haven't really grappled with the issues at a detailed level, believe that taking a step to avoid contributing to the problems is actually an ethical thing to do?

What if they're looking beyond mass shootings? Given that stores are really, really good at figuring out what their customers buy and how that's connected to other behaviors and life situations, maybe they've figured out that Walmart actually supplies ammunition to a lot of people they (and everyone here) wish wouldn't have it. Maybe they're saying to themselves, "Sure, they'll buy it somewhere else, but we won't be participating in that problem."

Maybe they realize that they will be causing problems for good people, but at the same time, whether through naivete or based on actual cold, hard data, believe that they are actually going to make the world a better place with this action?

I'm not saying any of that is true, I'm just pointing out that I haven't yet seen any evidence it isn't true. Just a lot of jumping to conclusions.

Cypher
09-05-2019, 10:22 PM
Walmart should add security to its stores if its going to ban guns, says former Hardee's CEO

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6083810175001/#sp=show-clips

But they're not banning guns, they're banning open carry

fixer
09-06-2019, 04:54 AM
I have probably skipped a page or two on this thread, but here are some ideas I haven't seen anyone entertain as possible. We're just all assuming they're not the case, but they seem to be within the realm of possibility.

What if the management team at Walmart, like most of the elites in this country, just simply doesn't get it on gun control? What if the events that have happened recently, including one in one of their stores, has caused them to reflect on the situation, and asked themselves what they can do to help make things better? Maybe they, because they think like the cultural/economic elites they are and haven't really grappled with the issues at a detailed level, believe that taking a step to avoid contributing to the problems is actually an ethical thing to do?

What if they're looking beyond mass shootings? Given that stores are really, really good at figuring out what their customers buy and how that's connected to other behaviors and life situations, maybe they've figured out that Walmart actually supplies ammunition to a lot of people they (and everyone here) wish wouldn't have it. Maybe they're saying to themselves, "Sure, they'll buy it somewhere else, but we won't be participating in that problem."

Maybe they realize that they will be causing problems for good people, but at the same time, whether through naivete or based on actual cold, hard data, believe that they are actually going to make the world a better place with this action?

I'm not saying any of that is true, I'm just pointing out that I haven't yet seen any evidence it isn't true. Just a lot of jumping to conclusions.

This is entirely possible and reasonable explanation. Given what I've experienced in 11 years working with and alongside VP level managers in two different major oil companies, this line of thinking and mindset is prevalent.

Prevalent doesn't really cover it...its more than prevalent. Its bone-marrow deep.

Its something along the lines of: I'm a/the leader. Therefore what I say, think, do, is leadership. Therefore whatever I say/do/think is the right thing to do. This is compounded by the fact that 99% of the VP's haven't had dirt or grease under their nails ever, or at most, 30 years ago in a part time college job. They don't think about downstream consequences.

Example: We had a guy slice up his thumb with a pocket knife while opening some packaging...1 day later, a corporate email was sent out banning personal use knives at all locations.

Another possibility is that the legal department has spooked the management team. Something along the lines of--" we've reviewed the situation, and we have tremendous exposure to liability by selling ammo in the current fashion."

Boom...overnight ammo sale reconfiguration.

Cypher
09-06-2019, 05:00 AM
I really believe that if open carriers had limited themselves to carrying handguns we wouldn't see this backlash.

I said it before I don't think it's the guy with a Kimber on his belt it's freaking people out, it's the yo-yos walking around with rifles.

I think that there were so many militant open carriers running around out there with rifles trying to provoke a response that the public perception of open carry became somebody carrying a rifle not an openly displayed handgun on their hip.

I think we're really lucky that none of these places are banning ALL guns from their premises.

I've read posts on a few other forums in which people are saying they're going to continue to open carry in these stores and MAKE an associate come tell them to leave. I really believe that if people make asses out of themselves and go out of their way to make a fuss in these stores they WILL ban ALL firearms on their premises.

HCountyGuy
09-06-2019, 06:22 AM

Bingo!

Wal-Mart always had the cheapest ammo. I’d buy from the LGS if they weren’t several dollars more expensive, which I surmise will get more expensive since they won’t have Wal-Mart to compete with.

As for ordering online? I get my SD ammo from SGAmmo but the shipping is fairly pricey to where it’s not financially practical to only order a few boxes.

And I sure as hell don’t have room in my current residence to have a reloading setup.

For the average (majority) of gun owners, Wal-Mart helped them be able to afford to shoot with any regularity.

That Guy
09-06-2019, 07:03 AM
When I did the tests, I could not get a mobile Google finance page to load on my iPhone in less than thirty seconds.

Sheesh... Okay, that sounds as bad as a 3G connection.

You might be still able to get an acceptable connection with a good highly directional antenna, but I can understand not wanting to take that gamble.

TAZ
09-06-2019, 12:34 PM
Bingo!

Wal-Mart always had the cheapest ammo. I’d buy from the LGS if they weren’t several dollars more expensive, which I surmise will get more expensive since they won’t have Wal-Mart to compete with.

As for ordering online? I get my SD ammo from SGAmmo but the shipping is fairly pricey to where it’s not financially practical to only order a few boxes.

And I sure as hell don’t have room in my current residence to have a reloading setup.

For the average (majority) of gun owners, Wal-Mart helped them be able to afford to shoot with any regularity.

Ordering online for one or 2 boxes is not going to be tenable unless someone comes up with the equivalent of Amazon Prime for gun owners. However, with a bit of forethought you can figure out a way to order a large enough amount to make shipping charges viable. Group order with shooting buddies/family members. Order training ammo along side defensive ammo ... that sort of thing.

The reduction in competition will hurt. Hopefully the LGS owners will not cut their own throats with price gouging as it’s really in their best long term interest to keep the sport going. They should look at the increased volume as a way to better profits vs price gouging.

SiriusBlunder
09-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Ordering online for one or 2 boxes is not going to be tenable unless someone comes up with the equivalent of Amazon Prime for gun owners.

<snip>

TargetSportsUSA (https://www.targetsportsusa.com/t-ammoprime.aspx) has Prime Ammo. $99/year gets free shipping and 8% off of retail. I've been a member for the past 10 months and it works as advertised.

Hambo
09-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Ordering online for one or 2 boxes is not going to be tenable unless someone comes up with the equivalent of Amazon Prime for gun owners.

Sign up for emails from every ammo and sporting goods store. When they have shipping deals, buy what you need and get it shipped free/cheap. Cabelas shipped me cases of 12ga shells for a total of $5 shipping. I couldn't believe the code actually worked, but it did.

Stephanie B
09-06-2019, 04:19 PM
I've read posts on a few other forums in which people are saying they're going to continue to open carry in these stores and MAKE an associate come tell them to leave.

No, what'll possibly happen will be that the store will call the cops, point out the clearly posted "no open carry" signage and then the person carrying openly will be charged with criminal trespass.

Playing it out, those fools will represent themselves in court, claim "muh rights" and then get to spend a couple of months in the county lockup.

TGS
09-06-2019, 05:07 PM
No, what'll possibly happen will be that the store will call the cops, point out the clearly posted "no open carry" signage and then the person carrying openly will be charged with criminal trespass.

Playing it out, those fools will represent themselves in court, claim "muh rights" and then get to spend a couple of months in the county lockup.

Depends on the state laws. In many states you have to actually be confronted and told to leave, then when you don't leave after being told you can be cited/charged. Texas being unique with their 30.06 and 30.07 signage that under law serves as your notification.

ranger
09-06-2019, 05:31 PM
My favorite LGS (NW GA)

mmc45414
09-06-2019, 05:54 PM
I know a guy that represented himself that served two days for a burned out license plate light.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

blues
09-06-2019, 05:57 PM
I know a guy that represented himself that served two days for a burned out license plate light.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

He must've worked hard to piss off the judge.

Shoresy
09-06-2019, 05:57 PM
https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/apparel/mens/short-sleeves/save-freedom-buy-ammo-t-shirt-large-sku100036527-130718-242811.aspx

mmc45414
09-06-2019, 07:31 PM
He must've worked hard to piss off the judge.
Probably wasn't that much work, the account of the events as they were related to me:

Charlie: I got a ticket for a burned out license plate light
Judge: Was the license plate light burned out?
Charlie: Yes
Judge: Guilty, the fine is $whatevere and the court costs are $whatever
Charlie: Well this is just a kangaroo court and you all are a bunch of bastards
Judge: Holding you in contempt of court, two days

Rick R
09-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Walmart’s CEO is virtue signaling to the people who want to enact a $20/hour minimum wage and punitive income taxes against the bad billionaires like the Walton family. Those libtards don’t shop at Walmart and still hate them for being successful. Only now a large percentage of gun owners are displeased and becoming former Walmart shoppers.
Stupidity is supposed to hurt.

CMG
09-06-2019, 09:23 PM
I really believe that if open carriers had limited themselves to carrying handguns we wouldn't see this backlash.

I said it before I don't think it's the guy with a Kimber on his belt it's freaking people out, it's the yo-yos walking around with rifles.

I think that there were so many militant open carriers running around out there with rifles trying to provoke a response that the public perception of open carry became somebody carrying a rifle not an openly displayed handgun on their hip.

I think we're really lucky that none of these places are banning ALL guns from their premises.

I've read posts on a few other forums in which people are saying they're going to continue to open carry in these stores and MAKE an associate come tell them to leave. I really believe that if people make asses out of themselves and go out of their way to make a fuss in these stores they WILL ban ALL firearms on their premises.The militant open carriers are the equivalent to the guys wearing assless chaps at the gay pride parade. I get that you are a proud but go put some clothes on because nobody wants to see your junk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cypher
09-06-2019, 09:29 PM

I can't speak for any place else but in Colorado it's a citation. They give you a ticket and a court date just like a traffic offense

Cypher
09-06-2019, 09:31 PM
From Discover on Google https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/walmart-open-carry-ban-dmitriy-andreychenko.html

I don't normally read The Slate but this article is spot on in my opinion. It's talking about how the idiot in Springfield is the reason that Walmart banned open carry

OlongJohnson
09-06-2019, 10:01 PM
TargetSportsUSA (https://www.targetsportsusa.com/t-ammoprime.aspx) has Prime Ammo. $99/year gets free shipping and 8% off of retail. I've been a member for the past 10 months and it works as advertised.

I did it because I was doing one big buy and I made the cost back in the first purchase. Then I've been dipping into it from time to time. I especially like that I can buy one box of something I want to try at the discounted rate (even a box of 50 rounds of .22LR) and not pay freight.

OlongJohnson
09-06-2019, 10:08 PM
From Discover on Google https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/walmart-open-carry-ban-dmitriy-andreychenko.html

I don't normally read The Slate but this article is spot on in my opinion. It's talking about how the idiot in Springfield is the reason that Walmart banned open carry

Kinda pisses me off that this a-hole is hammering the standard gun-banner mantra that there is currently nothing restricting violent criminals' access to firearms.

If the proprietors of such canonically red-state institutions as Walmart can conclude that their customers prefer not to encounter assault rifles, what’s to stop red-state politicians from also realizing that “public safety” can outweigh “self-protection” in other contexts as well—like when it comes to letting convicted stalkers and domestic abusers and mentally unstable white-pride extremists have unrestricted access to weapons and ammunition? Nothing (except the powerful weapons-manufacturer lobby and years of indoctrination in the floridly paranoid logic of the American right wing), that’s what!

0ddl0t
09-06-2019, 10:27 PM
Those libtards don’t shop at Walmart

You'd probably be surprised. My parents live in a liberal enclave that fought the installation of a Walmart Supercenter for years. But once it finally got built, they'd catch all their anti-Walmart neighbors looking sheepish in Walmart checkout lines.

Cypher
09-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Kinda pisses me off that this a-hole is hammering the standard gun-banner mantra that there is currently nothing restricting violent criminals' access to firearms.

I think the biggest mistake the pro Second Amendment side makes is believing that any compromise is possible with the antis.

I'm sorry if this sounds like conspiracy theory insanity but they want nothing less than total civilian disarmament. Maybe not the rank-and-file maybe not the soccer moms posting on Facebook but the people behind the movement the people who are funding the movement want you disarmed.

So it doesn't matter what we compromise on or what we concede, they want all of our guns and we need to quit pretending that's not the goal. And in my opinion we need to adopt a not one inch policy.

Cacafuego
09-06-2019, 11:37 PM
Bass Pro needs to start selling groceries

fatdog
09-07-2019, 01:39 AM
This is entirely inconvenient for me as I live in a very rural area and they are the only store with more than groceries within 20 miles of us, except for Dollar General. I have enjoyed their grocery service as I hate shopping in the first place, but we are done and I let them know why. Their response to me closing both my online and grocery accounts today:

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Recently you requested personal assistance from Walmart.com Customer Care.
Below is our response and a summary of your request.

Reference#: 190906-008774
Response email (09/06/2019 08:26 AM)
Hi FATDOG,

Thanks for contacting Walmart.com. My name is Kristen and I fully understand your concern regarding the guns and ammunition decision.

I have documented your comments and transfer them to proper department for them to be reviewed. We really want to know your opinion about the decision just made, since we know it will inconvenience some of our customers.

In addition, please allow me to mention that, we will continue selling long-barrel deer rifles and shot guns, as well as well as other firearms and ammunition for hunting and sports shooting.

My sincere apologies for this situation.

According to your request I have just closed your Walmart.com account. Would you please check if the Grocery is closed as well. In the event it was not closed successfully, please let me know and I will transfer your request to our Grocery Department for them to close your Grocery account.

If you have additional questions, please reply to this email and we'll be happy to assist.

Thank you for contacting Walmart.com and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Kristen L

Walmart.com Customer Care
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
Customer email (09/06/2019 08:10 AM)
Please close my Walmart.com and Walmart grocery accounts immediately. I will not be shopping with you anymore.

My reason for this is your "virtue signaling" CEO and his decision to no longer sell ammunition. It is clear to me that you don't respect our second amendment and have become politically correct. You are telling me you don't approve of my purchases, so I will make sure I no longer purchase things in your stores of any sort.

My spending at your stores is a tiny drop in the bucket and you will never miss it, but since you have decided to become "woke" and join the political left, my spending with your company will not happen anymore. I can buy everything I need from other sources, and I will, even if I have to drive a little further and pay a little more.

FATDOG

Hambo
09-07-2019, 06:36 AM

Now that is genius.

mtnbkr
09-07-2019, 07:15 AM

They, along with Cabelas, sell you the things you need to get your own "groceries". They also sell the things you need to prepare said groceries for consumption or storage.

What else do you need? Are you one of those types that need your groceries packaged in manmade materials instead of all natural wrappers? ;)

Chris

HCountyGuy
09-07-2019, 07:28 AM
They, along with Cabelas, sell you the things you need to get your own "groceries". They also sell the things you need to prepare said groceries for consumption or storage.

What else do you need? Are you one of those types that need your groceries packaged in manmade materials instead of all natural wrappers? ;)

Chris

Nephrology
09-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Well, there goes the only reason I ever went to Walmart to begin with.

fatdog
09-07-2019, 10:16 AM
One of those instance of such gross ignorance that triggered me to fire back a response:

First “I fully understand your concern regarding the guns and ammunition decision.”

No, the content of your response indicated you don’t fully understand anything about this matter.

“In addition, please allow me to mention that, we will continue selling long-barrel deer rifles and shot guns, as well as well as other firearms and ammunition for hunting and sports shooting.”

More evidence that you missed the point of why I am no longer doing business with your company. So let me spell it out so you can pass this information along to your PR flacks, social justice monitors, etc. etc. who most obviously don’t understand any of it, or care to.

1. I don’t care what guns you decide to sell.

2. I don’t care that you don’t want “open carry” in your stores

3. I am deeply offended by the implications of your CEO’s statement and action on stopping the sale of handgun ammunition and Kristen’s statement above. It is the essential argument of the anti-second amendment organizations and their politicians in our country for the last 30+ years. Their (and now your company’s) argument has been that gun owners who are hunters are some how acceptable (virtuous) and those who own handguns for self defense are not. The fact that this attitude and strategy to divide gun owners persists after the US Supreme Court clarified the meaning of the second amendment in McDonald Vs Chicago, and that your company has adopted it is most offensive.

4. ” as well as other firearms and ammunition for hunting and sports shooting” This statement is complete ignorance. 90% of the shooting sports activity in the United States at this point in time is done with handguns. USPSA, IDPA, SASS, etc. are all handgun centric and the common handgun cartridges like 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP that you have decided to stop selling are the primary ammunition used in competitive shooting in this country at this time. But I am sure that none of your social justice advisors know that. Apparently the senior management of Walmart knows as much about “shooting sports” as a giraffe knows about Shakespeare.

Thanks for contacting Walmart.com. My name is Kristen and I fully understand your concern regarding the guns and ammunition decision.

I have documented your comments and transfer them to proper department for them to be reviewed. We really want to know your opinion about the decision just made, since we know it will inconvenience some of our customers.

In addition, please allow me to mention that, we will continue selling long-barrel deer rifles and shot guns, as well as well as other firearms and ammunition for hunting and sports shooting.

My sincere apologies for this situation.

Nephrology
09-07-2019, 02:01 PM
One of those instance of such gross ignorance that triggered me to fire back a response:

First “I fully understand your concern regarding the guns and ammunition decision.”

No, the content of your response indicated you don’t fully understand anything about this matter.

“In addition, please allow me to mention that, we will continue selling long-barrel deer rifles and shot guns, as well as well as other firearms and ammunition for hunting and sports shooting.”

More evidence that you missed the point of why I am no longer doing business with your company. So let me spell it out so you can pass this information along to your PR flacks, social justice monitors, etc. etc. who most obviously don’t understand any of it, or care to.

1. I don’t care what guns you decide to sell.

2. I don’t care that you don’t want “open carry” in your stores

3. I am deeply offended by the implications of your CEO’s statement and action on stopping the sale of handgun ammunition and Kristen’s statement above. It is the essential argument of the anti-second amendment organizations and their politicians in our country for the last 30+ years. Their (and now your company’s) argument has been that gun owners who are hunters are some how acceptable (virtuous) and those who own handguns for self defense are not. The fact that this attitude and strategy to divide gun owners persists after the US Supreme Court clarified the meaning of the second amendment in McDonald Vs Chicago, and that your company has adopted it is most offensive.

4. ” as well as other firearms and ammunition for hunting and sports shooting” This statement is complete ignorance. 90% of the shooting sports activity in the United States at this point in time is done with handguns. USPSA, IDPA, SASS, etc. are all handgun centric and the common handgun cartridges like 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP that you have decided to stop selling are the primary ammunition used in competitive shooting in this country at this time. But I am sure that none of your social justice advisors know that. Apparently the senior management of Walmart knows as much about “shooting sports” as a giraffe knows about Shakespeare.

You're barking at the moon, my friend. There is no way that whoever is going to read this message is paid nearly enough to either a) effect any change in Walmart's business operations or b) give a shit.

blues
09-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Always no ammo...

...Always

olstyn
09-07-2019, 03:02 PM

I'm with you, I really am, but this line of argument is a bit off for me. What percentage of USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun, and/or SASS competitors actually use factory ammo that could be bought at Walmart? Only one of the guys I shoot with regularly uses factory ammo, and he's shooting major PF .38 super from Atlanta Arms, so not exactly stuff you could walk into your local Walmart and buy. The rest of us load our own 9mm or .40 as appropriate for our guns/divisions.

TheRoland
09-07-2019, 03:46 PM
I'm with you, I really am, but this line of argument is a bit off for me. What percentage of USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun, and/or SASS competitors actually use factory ammo that could be bought at Walmart? Only one of the guys I shoot with regularly uses factory ammo, and he's shooting major PF .38 super from Atlanta Arms, so not exactly stuff you could walk into your local Walmart and buy. The rest of us load our own 9mm or .40 as appropriate for our guns/divisions.

According to equipment surveys at national level matches it's around somewhere between 25-50%, depending on division. Local matches I'd assume would be higher. So it's less than half but still a lot of people.

Cypher
09-07-2019, 06:06 PM
You're barking at the moon, my friend. There is no way that whoever is going to read this message is paid nearly enough to either a) effect any change in Walmart's business operations or b) give a shit.

I suspect they won't even open the email

Zincwarrior
09-07-2019, 06:10 PM

So...all's well that ends well then?

olstyn
09-07-2019, 06:24 PM
According to equipment surveys at national level matches it's around somewhere between 25-50%, depending on division. Local matches I'd assume would be higher. So it's less than half but still a lot of people.

Fair enough. How many of the people shooting factory ammo in matches were actually buying it at Walmart vs their local gun store, or SGAmmo.com or Brownells, etc.? Is this actually a significant revenue stream for Walmart?

Cypher
09-07-2019, 06:24 PM

I strongly suspect that if enough people push the issue Walmart and the others will simply ban all guns on their property.

Stephanie B
09-07-2019, 06:32 PM
I strongly suspect that if enough people push the issue Walmart and the others will simply ban all guns on their property.

Yes. Far be it from me to suggest that the OC crowd deserves a beating with a length of garden hose (or a T-ball bat). But they are to 2A what porn shops are to 1A.

Cypher
09-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Yes. Far be it from me to suggest that the OC crowd deserves a beating with a length of garden hose (or a T-ball bat). But they are to 2A what porn shops are to 1A.

When I was in 3rd grade my sister broke my nose with a T-ball bat

fatdog
09-07-2019, 11:37 PM

Of course, all I have done today is piss a few drops into the big data science pool for them today. The keywords they had to associate with my quitting get a higher score because of my past verifiable history as a customer (vs say the random negative comment they got today). The CS clerk who answered my email forwarded it to no one.

She just fed it to the data pool which entered the keyword associations with the negative event (me, who had spent some real money over time quitting them). Their giant always crunching data science model has new new things to cross correlate like the acronyms of the competition organizations which will turn up some positive correlations with "shooting sports". It gives them today's negative sentiment score and associations, and like I said, my input gets a lot higher weighting in their model because the account did in fact close and I had in fact spend significant money as an individual.

Of course competitive shooters do not make any significant portion of their ammo sales, and mostly reload their own, but that is not a fact some big data science model, the only place my comments went, is ever going to be able to discern or correlate. The model is stuck with my comments and those associations in their negative sentiment analysis for a few days as they draw associations with the policy change. Nobody at an outfit like that ever really looks at the anecdotal individual emails or messages.

0ddl0t
09-08-2019, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't be as disappointed in Walmart if they just stopped selling ammo, but throwing their support behind a new AWB is worthy of a boycott imo.

mmc45414
09-08-2019, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't be as disappointed in Walmart if they just stopped selling ammo, but throwing their support behind a new AWB is worthy of a boycott imo.
And just like Kroger, if they just quietly quit selling something it would not piss me off as much as making some statement while they strut around like Church Lady.

blues
09-08-2019, 08:56 AM
And just like Kroger, if they just quietly quit selling something it would not piss me off as much as making some statement while they strut around like Church Lady.

Well, isn't that special...are they SATAN, perhaps?

mmc45414
09-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Well, isn't that special...are they SATAN, perhaps?
Well, I have some thoughts about who they maybe should fornicate with...

Glenn E. Meyer
09-08-2019, 09:38 AM
I think the biggest mistake the pro Second Amendment side makes is believing that any compromise is possible with the antis.

NO, the biggest mistake was allowing the supposed progun organization and politicians to not actively promote laws that would prevent such state bans from going into effect. Those two were in cohorts to keep the threats active so suckers would send a check to keep WLP in suits and Moscow Mitch in office (and his other buddies).

The next biggest mistake was the language in Heller (Scalia is a God - yeah), that might have been brilliant but was easily misinterpreted or deliberately so, to support the build up of lower court decisions that will give Roberts the mandate to follow their precedents and either support them or come up with another weak decision. The language focusing on SD cut down the defense against tyranny as crucial (side show blather doesn't count) as SD can be done with 5 is enough, etc.

Of course, the OC idiots didn't see that their shenanigans will lead to a major cultural defeat as gun carrying is branded as offensive as smoking in public places. Glad you have no trouble with OC in CrapCake, Mayberry, etc. It's a major message that folks not into guns in a serious way will take to heart.

Amp
09-10-2019, 05:30 AM
Recoil interview with Jason Hornady: https://www.recoilweb.com/why-hornady-stopped-selling-ammunition-to-walmart-12-years-ago-152737.html

Poconnor
09-10-2019, 12:46 PM
I have a friend who loves to open carry. To him it’s a civil rights issue. We discussed this years ago, I was afraid open carry would scare undecided people to vote anti gun. I don’t think pro gun organizations are doing a good job of selling that idea of civil rights to non gun carriers. Note I said carriers. I think there are a lot more gun owners than carriers. I worry that this is a sign that we are losing the war against guns.

Zincwarrior
09-10-2019, 01:55 PM
I have a friend who loves to open carry. To him it’s a civil rights issue. We discussed this years ago, I was afraid open carry would scare undecided people to vote anti gun. I don’t think pro gun organizations are doing a good job of selling that idea of civil rights to non gun carriers. Note I said carriers. I think there are a lot more gun owners than carriers. I worry that this is a sign that we are losing the war against guns.

Open Carry dudes keep wearing bad holsters at Walmart:
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/460652-gun-rights-activists-test-walmart-request-not-to-open-carry-guns-into-store

RJ
09-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Open Carry dudes keep wearing bad holsters at Walmart:
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/460652-gun-rights-activists-test-walmart-request-not-to-open-carry-guns-into-store

Huh.

Costco bans firearms?

I mean I’m not surprised but dang if I’ve seen any signage at mine here in Tampa.

SiriusBlunder
09-10-2019, 03:38 PM
Huh.

Costco bans firearms?

I mean I’m not surprised but dang if I’ve seen any signage at mine here in Tampa.

It's their policy to not allow them except for LEO, but I've never seen signs:

Are guns & personal firearms allowed in Costco Warehouses (https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/709/~/are-guns-%26-personal-firearms-allowed-in-costco-warehouses%3F)

Local shooting that made me research their policy:

Officer in Costco shooting says man raised gun, didn’t know it was in holster (https://lasvegassun.com/news/2010/sep/23/officer-deadly-shooting-says-man-pointed-gun-didnt/)

RJ
09-10-2019, 04:55 PM
It's their policy to not allow them except for LEO, but I've never seen signs:

Are guns & personal firearms allowed in Costco Warehouses (https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/709/~/are-guns-%26-personal-firearms-allowed-in-costco-warehouses%3F)

Local shooting that made me research their policy:

Officer in Costco shooting says man raised gun, didn’t know it was in holster (https://lasvegassun.com/news/2010/sep/23/officer-deadly-shooting-says-man-pointed-gun-didnt/)

Thanks. I only go to Costco for the fuel, and occasionally (if I am forced) with my wife to pick up a metric ton of some household good.

Otherwise I try to avoid it like the plague.

Guess I have some thinking to do. I suspect personally I will lose the argument with SWMBO regarding cancelling our Costco membership. I can try but I don't see it happening.

Drang
09-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Costco bans firearms?

It's their policy to not allow them except for LEO, but I've never seen signs...
I've never seen signs at any Costco I've been to here in the Home of Costco, either. Arguably, no signage under WA law means that their "policy" means nothing. The counter-argument is that there is a statement to that effect in the membership agreement, and that by signing same you are affirming that you are aware of the ban.
On the gripping hand, when they had multi-packs of ammo cans there a while back, the hipster kids running the register and bagging/boxing said "Man, wouldn't it be cool of we sold ammo?!", so I dunno...

Cypher
09-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Well, I have some thoughts about who they maybe should fornicate with...

A shovel?

ranger
09-10-2019, 07:05 PM
I suspect that due to fear of lawsuits, etc. - every major business has some form of "no guns allowed" on their books. I am sure there are exceptions.

RevolverRob
09-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Interestingly enough, Costco in Chicago is one of the few places I frequent that doesn’t have a “No Guns” sign. Never seen 30.06/30.07 signs on Texas Costcos either.

Costco sells gun safes and other accoutrement from time-to-time. My understanding is they have a “policy” because you know, easier to avoid being sued, that way. But they tend to have a very hands-off attitude about the whole thing.

Sort of like how Chipotle and Starbucks USED to be...until some jackholes ruined it for the rest of us.

And I disagree with Stephanie re: comparison of OC folks and porn. The porn industry has done more to protect rights than open carriers ever will.

Roth v. United States
Jacobellis v. Ohio
Hustler Magazine v. Falwell

All cases that have served to refine or outright expand civil liberties. I haven’t see Open Carriers v. Chipotle yet, nor am I anticipating that case, until I do, I don’t think one can make the argument that OC and the Porn Industry are equivalents. Clearly porn is better for us as citizens.

TicTacticalTimmy
09-11-2019, 05:44 PM
The militant open carriers are the equivalent to the guys wearing assless chaps at the gay pride parade. I get that you are a proud but go put some clothes on because nobody wants to see your junk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm stealing this.

Also, regarding this discussion earlier in the thread about dud rounds when buying a case:
90% of the ammo I have ever bought was purchased online, mostly by the case. The other 10% was mostly purchased at Walmart. I have never had one dud from the ammo Ive bought online, with the exception of reloads and rimfire. By contrast, I have had two seperate runs of bad ammo that I bought a few boxes at a time from Walmart: one was Winchester White Box 9mm and the other was Federal .45 Auto FMJ.

JAH 3rd
01-17-2020, 08:55 PM
I usually purchase my ammo online, but I have bought ammo at WM over the years. It's convenient. I was there today and decided to check the ammo. All pistol ammo was gone. There was an abundance of .22, shotgun, and rifle ammo. Didn't stay long since they were out of handgun ammo. My times have changed.......kinda sad.

Stephanie B
01-17-2020, 09:06 PM
I usually purchase my ammo online, but I have bought ammo at WM over the years. It's convenient. I was there today and decided to check the ammo. All pistol ammo was gone. There was an abundance of .22, shotgun, and rifle ammo. Didn't stay long since they were out of handgun ammo. My times have changed.......kinda sad.

My local WM relabeled the shelves that held pistol ammo.

I don't go back and check, anymore. There are a few things that I still buy there, but time was, I'd go to WM for something and buy ammo, or the other way around. Without the draw of ammo, there's precious little that I need there. One trip every two months now suffices.

RevolverRob
01-17-2020, 10:10 PM
I had to make my once every 5-year stop at Wal-Mart last weekend for windshield wipers for the truck, when one gave up the ghost mid-way through a downpour.

As I wandered to the back of the store, I noticed they still had ammunition at this Wal-Mart. It didn't surprise me, given that I was in eastern Arkansas on I-40 about halfway between Little Rock and Memphis. That's exactly a stretch of interstate highway or the country where I anticipate Wal-Mart virtue signalling to get very far.

fatdog
01-17-2020, 10:19 PM
Their president of US Operations was a guy from New Zealand, he just got wacked, and replaced, but I think the virtue signaling campaign came from one level above him...not likely to change soon. It is not Sam Walton's store anymore, they view themselves as a "global player" not a U.S. Company, and it would not shock me to see their HQ move from N.W. AR some day when all the Ivy league types running the place decide they need HQ in some place "civilized" with a better symphony and decent opera in order to attract and retain the right type of talent...yech!

OlongJohnson
01-18-2020, 10:03 AM
I noticed they still had ammunition at this Wal-Mart.

They still have ammo, just not handgun ammo and no .223/5.56.

RevolverRob
01-18-2020, 11:05 AM
They still have ammo, just not handgun ammo and no .223/5.56.

Ah. I honestly didn’t look that close.

VT1032
01-18-2020, 11:31 PM
They still have ammo, just not handgun ammo and no .223/5.56.What is "handgun ammo"? Always had a fun discussion with the counter guy on that subject when I was under 21 along the lines of "if the 9mm is for a carbine, it's rifle ammo, right?". I'd get away with it about half the time. Is .30-06 handgun ammo if it's used in a TC Contender? Where does .22lr fit in? Classically dumb policy and law.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OlongJohnson
01-19-2020, 12:02 AM
The only one where the intent has any real ambiguity (rather than an unusual technicality) is .22LR. But that always seems to go in the direction of long gun, perhaps because of the name.