PDA

View Full Version : Where y’all do private sales?

talos
09-02-2019, 01:19 PM
Assuming legal in your state, where do you do private sales? A shooting range or gun store seems safe but maybe the owners don’t like you doing business there. I’ve done two this year in parking lots of shopping centers but felt weird. Just in top of the trunk in plain sight.

BehindBlueI's
09-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Whatever business parking lot is convenient and likely to have cameras. I'm partial to Wal-mart. Big parking lots, good surveillance camera coverage and usually good resolution. I've done everywhere from a Harley dealership to the YMCA, though. Always a business, always daylight.

HCM
09-02-2019, 01:26 PM
Assuming legal in your state, where do you do private sales? A shooting range or gun store seems safe but maybe the owners don’t like you doing business there. I’ve done two this year in parking lots of shopping centers but felt weird. Just in top of the trunk in plain sight.

Our local police Dept has “safe exchange” zones in the public parking lot of all stations for both child custody exchanges and online “craigslist” type sales.

This is TX so the cops here don’t freak out over guns. Plus if your private buyer is paranoid about being on a police surveillance camera do you really want to sell them a gun ?

People use gun store and range parking lots but there is no guarantee it is any safer than anywhere else. Gun store oneres don’t like it because it perpetuates the myth that their business is involved illicit activity. I would also say that unless you are selling something to spend the money on something from that store, it is a bit disrespectful.

Shoresy
09-02-2019, 01:30 PM
I'm partial to courthouse parking lots, especially on weekends (when they're not crowded). The parking lot tends to be in view of the road, well-lit, and many have cameras. Many are adjacent to (or share a building with) the county sheriff's office or other LE.

Duelist
09-02-2019, 01:43 PM
I’ve only done that with people I actually know, or people vetted by people I know and trust a lot. In those cases, I’ve done the exchange at one of our residences or at the shooting range where we made the deal to swap in the first place.

Hambo
09-02-2019, 01:51 PM
I've done them in parking lots of Lowes, McDonalds, a vacant gas station, tackle store, BassPro. I can get killed just as dead on video or not.

BehindBlueI's
09-02-2019, 02:13 PM
I can get killed just as dead on video or not.

I had an armslist robbery on camera that wasn't a fatal robbery, but their next one was. The video in mine was pretty helpful in solving both.

Hambo
09-02-2019, 02:23 PM
I had an armslist robbery on camera that wasn't a fatal robbery, but their next one was. The video in mine was pretty helpful in solving both.

Well, you might have to get by with email, phone numbers, and texts on mine. ;)

Nephrology
09-02-2019, 03:18 PM

Was going to say, I generally do not do private sales for more or less this reason. The hassle and slight hit to my profit that I have to accept when selling online is worth it, IMO.

Only exceptions have been to friends.

Cypher
09-02-2019, 03:34 PM
Private sales are illegal in Colorado now so it's moot to me but there are some places that sound good to me.

The safe exchange area of the police station.
The clubhouse of the range I go to.
Your LGS if they get a lot of your business anyway. Maybe pay them a reasonable gratuity

The last gun I bought was in the parking lot of my church either right before or right after service but the seller was someone I knew well

MD7305
09-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Several municipal/police parking lots in my area have "safe exchange zones" that are camera surveiled. I try to use one of these areas for FTF transactions. At my local spot I've seen people exchange everything from cars, animals, guns, and, most commonly, child custody. I also imagine it being on video and at a police department is a good deterrent for trouble.

BehindBlueI's
09-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Well, you might have to get by with email, phone numbers, and texts on mine. ;)

From a wealth of experience, those are often anonymous. Burner phones or app-based texting only numbers. A few are stupid enough that I've been able to track them down with their electronic footprint, but having actual video and a vanity license plate were the starting point on the one I referenced. I know you probably know this, but for others who might stumble across the thread I figure it might be worth spelling it out.

Was going to say, I generally do not do private sales for more or less this reason.

You can avoid the vast majority of these by forcing a voice call and by forcing a meeting half-way at at a business. Robbery set-ups tend to be text only and for the reasons listed above. Plus you can get a sense of if someone is too eager, too nervous, etc. by talking to them that you wouldn't get by text only. I'm paranoid enough I often arrange for one of my friends to be overwatch if I don't already know the person. Another reason for a larger parking lot, as most folks lack the observational skills to notice an overwatch in a more crowded lot. Then I arrive early, park in an open area of the lot, and force the interaction to take place there. Actually many of the things I do are things robbers do, but in a way it's unlikely to be noticed.

JodyH
09-02-2019, 05:18 PM
I once sold a USP45 to a guy here: 31.960234, -104.681074 (https://www.google.com/maps/place/31%C2%B057'36.8%22N+104%C2%B040'51.9%22W/@31.960234,-104.6816212,226m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d31.96023 4!4d-104.681074) .
I'm pretty sure both of us were armed and wary.
I figured most criminals would have been way to lazy to drive that far to get into a gunfight.
Dude told me he'd be driving one of those Honda cube looking mini-SUV's... no way in hell a gangsta would roll in a Mom mobile.
:cool:

Hambo
09-02-2019, 08:10 PM
From a wealth of experience, those are often anonymous. Burner phones or app-based texting only numbers. A few are stupid enough that I've been able to track them down with their electronic footprint, but having actual video and a vanity license plate were the starting point on the one I referenced. I know you probably know this, but for others who might stumble across the thread I figure it might be worth spelling it out.

You can avoid the vast majority of these by forcing a voice call and by forcing a meeting half-way at at a business. Robbery set-ups tend to be text only and for the reasons listed above. Plus you can get a sense of if someone is too eager, too nervous, etc. by talking to them that you wouldn't get by text only. I'm paranoid enough I often arrange for one of my friends to be overwatch if I don't already know the person. Another reason for a larger parking lot, as most folks lack the observational skills to notice an overwatch in a more crowded lot. Then I arrive early, park in an open area of the lot, and force the interaction to take place there. Actually many of the things I do are things robbers do, but in a way it's unlikely to be noticed.

Everything is a matter of life or death to you homicide guys. ;) The main way I've avoided being killed is that most of the deals I have done have been with members of forums that have buyer/seller feedback. Then I show up armed, early, and suspicious.

This thread reminded me that I bought a gun from a guy on a forum who was a local LEO. I think we might have had one phone call, but he had me come to his house. It all went OK, and the gun wasn't something a gang banger would want or have heard of, but it was weird.

BehindBlueI's
09-02-2019, 08:14 PM
I think we might have had one phone call, but he had me come to his house.

You wanna end up in a pit having lotion lowered to you in a basket? Because that's how you end up in a pit having lotion lowered to you in a basket.

;)

CleverNickname
09-02-2019, 08:27 PM
In order of preference: 1) city PD parking lot, 2) gun range parking lot, 3) local big-box store parking lot.

10mmfanboy
09-02-2019, 09:19 PM
This is a slightly off topic question BUT, anyone have experience selling firearms to buds gunshop or maybe selling on gunbroker or anything? Do they bend you over the bench as much as I think they'd might?

Darth_Uno
09-02-2019, 09:39 PM
This thread reminded me that I bought a gun from a guy on a forum who was a local LEO. I think we might have had one phone call, but he had me come to his house. It all went OK, and the gun wasn't something a gang banger would want or have heard of, but it was weird.

I bought a gun on Armslist and went to a guy’s house. Get there and he’s DEA. Not like a setup or anything, he was just selling his personally owned weapon.

But when I gave him my FOID info ahead of time, he asked if I worked for [company with my name on it]. I told him I owned it so he said just come to his house. Which was on a street where I was currently building 4 other homes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TGS
09-02-2019, 09:56 PM
This is a slightly off topic question BUT, anyone have experience selling firearms to buds gunshop or maybe selling on gunbroker or anything? Do they bend you over the bench as much as I think they'd might?

No idea on Buds, but there's no reason you should be "getting bent over" on Gunbroker. You can set a minimum start bid or reserve, and the sellers' fee that gunbroker charges is clearly defined on their website. 6% of the value for the first $250 worth of value, and 3.5% thereafter. Fair price given the wide audience it can capture.

My only similar experience is with putting guns on consignment at a local gunstore, which was much more expensive. 10% of the price, if I recall.

10mmfanboy
09-02-2019, 10:12 PM
No idea on Buds, but there's no reason you should be "getting bent over" on Gunbroker. You can set a minimum start bid or reserve, and the sellers' fee that gunbroker charges is clearly defined on their website. 6% of the value for the first $250 worth of value, and 3.5% thereafter. Fair price given the wide audience it can capture.

My only similar experience is with putting guns on consignment at a local gunstore, which was much more expensive. 10% of the price, if I recall.

Thank you very much! I actually just signed up to gun broker so I never tried selling anything yet, but seems more like the way to go. I figured it might be hard selling items without any feedback, like a ebay type deal.

I have a good relationship with my LGS and they have always been fair with me with trade ins, but wondered if there is a better way to sell. I have a couple gen 4 19 I'd like to sell and get a gen5 but I have finger grooves removed and undercut trigger guard done by yours truly, so I know they won't give me much for them. I was even thinking about parting them out maybe.

TGS
09-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Thank you very much! I actually just signed up to gun broker so I never tried selling anything yet, but seems more like the way to go. I figured it might be hard selling items without any feedback, like a ebay type deal.

I have a good relationship with my LGS and they have always been fair with me with trade ins, but wondered if there is a better way to sell. I have a couple gen 4 19 I'd like to sell and get a gen5 but I have finger grooves removed and undercut trigger guard done by yours truly, so I know they won't give me much for them. I was even thinking about parting them out maybe.

I think a LGS or state-level gun trader/classifieds is a better way to go for common tactical Tupperware. I'd keep Gunbroker for rare or more specific items that people actively hunt for, like specific variants of S&W revolvers or a Roland Special Glock...….stuff that doesn't pop up everyday at the LGS where you need an educated buyer willing to pay the price, as opposed to the average low-balling mouthbreather who thinks everything is a Glock or AK.

AKDoug
09-03-2019, 01:17 AM

I'm in the market for a complete G4 19 slide. In fact I could use the lower internals as well. If you're looking to unload, let me know.

BehindBlueI's
09-03-2019, 08:40 AM

Become a site supporter and list them here. As long as the buyer has an FFL willing to accept from a private individual or you have an FFL who's willing to ship for you (likely for a small fee) you're fine to sell guns to buyers out of your own state.

I've bought a few guns from Gunbroker and Armslist, but mostly from forums I frequent.

Casual Friday
09-03-2019, 11:32 AM
I've done deals in Safeway parking lots, Walmart, gas stations, Jack in the Box, back alley behind a Mexican restaurant, a state park, a beach, and others that I've forgotten. Looking back, there's a few that I would pass on now, pre-family early 20's Casual Friday was a little more gangster than 2019 late 30's Casual Friday with a 3/4 paid off mortgage, savings and retirement accounts and investment portfolio.

willie
09-03-2019, 12:11 PM
First, if I advertise, I say that the individual must have a Texas license to carry. No exceptions. Then I specify no text messages. Third, I choose the location which is in front of my lgs. Fourth, I disclose that the other guy present is an employee of the lgs who has agreed to assist me. Fifth, I direct the other person not to appear with several other people. One other is ok. I have at least one phone discussion with the prospective buyer. We chat. I explain that I'm old and crabby, set in my ways, and that's why I'm inflexible. I don't sell many guns this way. I forgot to add that if I know the person, and if he has children in the house, and if he says that he does not have a way to secure his weapons and says that he won't, then I will not sell this person a firearm. My gun, my choice. I know too much about children and teens to do otherwise. Note that I am not proposing legislation.

Holmes375
09-03-2019, 12:45 PM
I have an LGS nearby with whom I've done business with for 30 years. Good friends with several of the employees. I do FTF sales in their parking lot during business hours. I call ahead and let someone know what I'm doing, they're good with it. If I have need of a NICS check they handle that for me and the buyer. Has worked for me over the years.