PDA

View Full Version : Glock Magazine Extensions

x2humbucker
09-02-2019, 08:14 AM
I am looking to add magazine extensions to my Glock 17 Magazines. What are the available options that would be durable enough for duty use?

pangloss
09-02-2019, 10:49 AM
I don't know how much capacity you want to add, but the +2 factory extensions are the only ones I use. If you want more than +2, then I think you should get the 24 round factory mags.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

UNM1136
09-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Most of the guys I know who were using them for duty stopped a few years back. A number, including me, had smacked the extension just hard enough at just the right angle during day to day activities to knock the extension off and have mag guts and rounds vomiting out of the holstered pistol. A couple of die hards relegated them to reloads... I put more mags on my plate carrier. I think Glock and ETS, and maybe Magpul make larger capacity magazines and I currently would use any of those rather than extensions.

Maybe I am jaded, but I also had very bad experiences with 10 round 1911 mags when that was my duty piece.....Chip McCormic and Tripp left me very disappointed. Their 7 and 8 round mags ran like raped apes.

ETA: my experience with Glock +2 extensions was on a G21, and that was the one that vomited kn me....

pat

Up1911Fan
09-02-2019, 10:59 AM
I don't mind factory +2's or TTI's for reloads, but not for the mag in the gun.

pangloss
09-02-2019, 11:02 AM
I think Glock and ETS, and maybe Magpul make larger capacity magazines and I currently would use any of those rather than extensions.

Magpul makes a 21 round mag. I have one with several hundred to maybe a thousand rounds through it without any problems. I think this is a great size mag!

JodyH
09-02-2019, 11:11 AM
ETA: my experience with Glock +2 extensions was on a G21, and that was the one that vomited kn me....
Glock added a wedge insert to the +2's many years back that solved the baseplate coming off and launching the guts and rounds all over the room issue.
The biggest issue with the improved +2's is the baseplate is damn near permanent now, you pretty much destroy the magazine and/or the +2 when you remove them (even with the proper tools).

The only Glock magazine extensions I'd trust for carry are the factory +2's. I carry one in my 19X when I am on the adventure motorcycle in the backcountry carrying OWB "concealed" (I often print, but under the circumstances it's no big deal, the "concealment" is mainly to keep grime off the gun), under a shirt or light jacket.

JodyH
09-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Magpul makes a 21 round mag. I have one with several hundred to maybe a thousand rounds through it without any problems. I think this is a great size mag!
I've never had an issue with Magpul magazines and FMJ ammo.
I have had many issues with them when using JHP ammo, with no metal lining in the magazines the sharp nose of the HP hangs up on the plastic and I get a empty chamber because the mag can't keep up with the slide.
I had that issue crop up repeatedly in USPSA when i was shooting some JHP loads for a while, same mags with FMJ worked perfectly.

pangloss
09-02-2019, 11:27 AM
I've never had an issue with Magpul magazines and FMJ ammo.
I have had many issues with them when using JHP ammo, with no metal lining in the magazines the sharp nose of the HP hangs up on the plastic and I get a empty chamber because the mag can't keep up with the slide.
I had that issue crop up repeatedly in USPSA when i was shooting some JHP loads for a while, same mags with FMJ worked perfectly.I have only shot FMJ through mine, so that is very good to know. Thanks for pointing this out.

Gray222
09-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Can't use Glock 24 round mags?

Extensions, of any type, have a history of not working well.

Bigghoss
09-02-2019, 01:51 PM
My Magpul GL9 21 rounders have been unreliable but I haven't used them a whole lot. The Magpuls that I could get running required a good bit of break in. Mine are also relatively early so maybe they've gotten better but from what I've been reading that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've used OEM 12 round mags in my G26 but it's pretty unlikely I'd hit the butt of that gun on anything. I haven't tried the oem 19-rounders.

Norville
09-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Excellent insight on the Magpul 21s. I have several that are 100% reliable In uspsa but I only run FMJ in them.

I have seen enough aftermarket extension failures to only trust them for sport.

littlejerry
09-02-2019, 03:28 PM
I've had good luck with Taran extensions on older gen4 and gen3 mags. Not saying I've had problems on new mags, just that I haven't tried it.

ETS mags are, IME, fragile garbage. One drop in a sandy bay is enough to cause it to stop feeding. I have 3 which have been relegated to practice only in clean environments and they work fine for that. Just don't drop one on a hard surface or you'll see the guts go flying.

21 round Pmags are pretty good. Way more durable than ETS, but still more sensitive to sand and debris than OEM mags. I've also had the feed lips fail on one and it let's the top round cant upwards.

So far the 24 rounder OEM worms great. Not USPSA legal but it's durable and doesn't care if I drop it in sand. Perfect for Run'n'gun/biathlons.

To date my OEM tubes with Taran extensions have not given me any issues. I know of people who have had them come off but I've run 2 through ~60-70 miles of RNG competitions, often with them in a Glock 19, and never had an issue.

Zman001
09-11-2019, 09:42 PM
I have a few of the 19x +2 glock mags and i like them

Magpul, as long as i use fmj brass case, is ok. Otherwise they do not work

Ets is iffy. Like magpul the choke on anything that isnt brass FMJ, but I've had a few that just do not work at all

El Cid
09-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Another vote for the OEM 24rd mags. Before them I used OEM +2’s or TTI.

ETA: if you build your own +2’s remember to use the G22 spring with the extra coil in place of the G17 spring.

pastaslinger
09-11-2019, 10:11 PM
I am looking to add magazine extensions to my Glock 17 Magazines. What are the available options that would be durable enough for duty use?

I like the arredondo +6, they seem to be the most reliable in my view.

Glock added a wedge insert to the +2's many years back that solved the baseplate coming off and launching the guts and rounds all over the room issue.
The biggest issue with the improved +2's is the baseplate is damn near permanent now, you pretty much destroy the magazine and/or the +2 when you remove them (even with the proper tools).

The only Glock magazine extensions I'd trust for carry are the factory +2's. I carry one in my 19X when I am on the adventure motorcycle in the backcountry carrying OWB "concealed" (I often print, but under the circumstances it's no big deal, the "concealment" is mainly to keep grime off the gun), under a shirt or light jacket.

Haven't had those issues with getting them off

I've had good luck with Taran extensions on older gen4 and gen3 mags. Not saying I've had problems on new mags, just that I haven't tried it.

ETS mags are, IME, fragile garbage. One drop in a sandy bay is enough to cause it to stop feeding. I have 3 which have been relegated to practice only in clean environments and they work fine for that. Just don't drop one on a hard surface or you'll see the guts go flying.

21 round Pmags are pretty good. Way more durable than ETS, but still more sensitive to sand and debris than OEM mags. I've also had the feed lips fail on one and it let's the top round cant upwards.

So far the 24 rounder OEM worms great. Not USPSA legal but it's durable and doesn't care if I drop it in sand. Perfect for Run'n'gun/biathlons.

To date my OEM tubes with Taran extensions have not given me any issues. I know of people who have had them come off but I've run 2 through ~60-70 miles of RNG competitions, often with them in a Glock 19, and never had an issue.

Have had more issues with TTI than arredondos and they seem to chew up the mags when put on since they're aluminum, unlike the arredondos.

I want to try the 24 rounders (I wish they just made them 140mm mags...)

CESwartz07
09-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Dawson Precision +5 work great, competition and duty. Never had one pop off in many thousands of rounds. Same for factory +2s and TTI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAP
09-12-2019, 07:41 AM
I would say none.. watched several ppl at my range blow extensions off their mags when dropped on the concrete floor.

Kyle Reese
09-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Can't use Glock 24 round mags?

Extensions, of any type, have a history of not working well.

I'm loving the 24's. They've proven quite reliable with training and duty type ammunition, to include steel-cased range fodder, something that the MagPul 21's seem to choke on.

Gray222
09-12-2019, 10:23 AM
I'm loving the 24's. They've proven quite reliable with training and duty type ammunition, to include steel-cased range fodder, something that the MagPul 21's seem to choke on.

I have two I have thoroughly vetted and they run very well.

paherne
09-12-2019, 10:57 AM
None. I've seen them all fail when run hard. To include Arredondo, Hyve, TTI, Pierce, etc. Lightning Strike makes an excellent basepad that doe not add capacity, but also will not fail and speeds up your reloads by virtue of the extra weight empty mags shoot out of the magwell.

vcdgrips
09-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Late to the party. Been shooting a Glock 17 et al since the fall of 1989 or 90. IDPA, IPSC, 1000+ training hours with fed/state/local leos/sleep away classes etc.

IMHO, direct and vicarious experience, there are no +2s, to include OEM, that are good enough to bet your life on... period... end of subject... full stop. I know people talk about using the 11 coil spring from the G22 etc. I, like others have seen to many poop the bed when hitting concrete.

If higher capacity is really driving the train, I would be far more inclined to go with OEM 24s, or Magpuls after significant vetting. I would only be inclined to to that after already carrying 4 17 rounder-s via 1 in the gun and a safariland triple carrier and deciding that I still needed more ammo on board.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly. Be safe and well.