PDA

View Full Version : Why do FFL shops charge more than state's statutory fee for transfer?

Mystery
08-31-2019, 01:29 PM
In Colorado, according to https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cbi/fflinformation, the transfer fee is $10.
I see FFL shops here charge from $25 and up and Centennial gun club charges $85.
How can they charge more than what they are allowed?

***Attention Colorado Federal Firearm Licensees***

Pursuant to C.R.S. 24-33.5-424, the CBI is authorized to impose a fee for performing a criminal background check pursuant to this section. Currently, that fee is set at $10.50.

This fee pertains only to CBI firearm background checks, and not the $10.00 statutory fee a licensed gun dealer may charge for private firearms transfers pursuant to C.R.S. 18-12-112.

fly out
08-31-2019, 01:43 PM
I'm not in Colorado, but is there a distinction for a private-transaction BGC? As opposed to taking in a transfer from, e.g., Bud's? The statute I just read referred to private transactions.

Edited to add: The private-party distinction appears to be exactly the issue. This is from Centennial's website:

The Centennial Gun Club is unable to provide Colorado background checks for individuals wishing to make private gun transfers.

I'm guessing if they did them, they'd be limited to $10.

Again, I'm not in Colorado.

pangloss
08-31-2019, 02:14 PM
The CBI charges a $10.50 that the FFL has to pay. The FFL has to recoup that expense as well as be compensated for the time and effort required to perform the transfer, so $25 total is a pretty good price. When I lived in TN, it was the same way. Transfer fees there ranged from $25 to $50.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Savage Hands
08-31-2019, 02:35 PM
Similar to California, the state mandates the fee for a Private Party Transfer while transfers from dealers can be set by the dealer themselves.

pangloss
08-31-2019, 02:41 PM
The CBI charges a $10.50 that the FFL has to pay. The FFL has to recoup that expense as well as be compensated for the time and effort required to perform the transfer, so $25 total is a pretty good price. When I lived in TN, it was the same way. Transfer fees there ranged from $25 to $50.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using TapatalkI'm obviously not a careful reader.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk