PDA

View Full Version : 5^5 in Concealed Carry Magazine

HeadHunter
04-12-2012, 12:06 AM
My 5^5 drill is the Drill Of The Month for Concealed Carry Magazine
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-departments/drill-of-the-month/5-5/

There's another interesting article in this month's issue also.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-columns/ballistic-basics/whats-in-a-name/

RoyGBiv
04-12-2012, 08:15 AM
I like it..

Not only does it look like a good drill, but making my own targets with nothing more than a CD and a sharpie appeals to the tightwad in me. ;)

Thanks.!

Al T.
04-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Can of paint and a CD. Genius. Looks like my paper plates will be getting a modification.

HeadHunter
04-12-2012, 08:52 AM
making my own targets with nothing more than a CD and a sharpie appeals to the tightwad in me. ;)

The Resource Constrained Environment. I live in it all the time.

Al T.
04-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Took a few paper plates and sprayed them with paint using a CD for a template. Looks good. I'm also trying out using a can in the center of a plate to give me a defined 3 inch circle with the rest of the plate dark. I have a problem student who constantly tracks his shots visually. The paper plates (from Sams Club) are cheaper than repair centers. The idea of using the CD catapulted me to try the "white center, dark ring" concept.

HeadHunter
04-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Took a few paper plates and sprayed them with paint using a CD for a template. Looks good. I'm also trying out using a can in the center of a plate to give me a defined 3 inch circle with the rest of the plate dark. I have a problem student who constantly tracks his shots visually. The paper plates (from Sams Club) are cheaper than repair centers. The idea of using the CD catapulted me to try the "white center, dark ring" concept.

That's an interesting concept. I have a template made from coroplast to put (10) 3 inch circles on a silhouette for Dot Drill 101 but never thought of it in reverse. The VB-660 target is a mainstay of my classes; I'll try spraying the center with a larger white dot and see how that works.

halodog
04-15-2012, 06:02 PM
I went out to the range today and ran the 5^5 drill that was in the recent USCCA magazine. Ran with a Glock 19 (115gr FMJ) at 7 yards. Since I usually warm up with a DEA Dots target I ran the drill on these circles which are 3.5" dia. Best times were 2.72 & 2.49 seconds. IMO this is not a really challenging drill for an experienced shooter. Great drill for a novice. Would recommend an experience keep the 5 second par time and run the drill holstered.

Al T.
04-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Ran with a Glock 19 (115gr FMJ) at 7 yards

Well, when you are running a J frame it's a different story. Longer story tomorrow, but took a novice to the range today and used all the various plate targets. Once we got some of his issues sorted out, he was a constant 4.0 guy from high ready with a nasty .40 S&W.

Try a J frame and it may be more challenging. :) :p