PDA

View Full Version : New Ultralight 2.5-10x32 Scope from SWFA

frozentundra
08-29-2019, 11:23 AM
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x32-ultralight-rifle-scope-1.html On sale right now for Labor Day $322.

2.5-10x32 that weighs just 9.5 ounces. Has capped, resettable turrets, and it is offered in a BDC reticle with wind holds.

I bought one and have been very pleased. I paid $379 I think, not realizing it would be discounted so soon afterward.

It does a couple things that are quite unique, but it does so at the expense of having short eye relief. This means it's not well suited to lightweight, heavy recoiling guns.

It is extremely well suited for lightweight, light recoiling guns.

My understanding is that, in order to maintain a wide field of view with the remarkably small eyepiece, eye relief must necessarily be reduced. I find it to be well worth the trade-off for lightweight guns without heavy recoil.

That being said, this configuration lends itself to a unique geometry that allows for mounting the scope with traditional 1" rings on any flattop AR. This is an interesting feature for people who would like to fine tune scope height beyond what the one-piece mounts allow. It also allows the scope to be used kind of like a carry handle if you mount it with 1" rings at the relatively high height of most one piece mounts. This is an image that was posted on a different forum:

The version I chose has an excellent BDC reticle with wind holds, primaraly calibrated for 5.56. The inner part of the reticle is quite precise in nature. The outer part is composed of heavy plex lines that bracket the precision part of the reticle and are very useful at speed or in low light. I find it to be well balanced and well executed. It's the type of reticle that I've always wished Leupold would offer.

Having capped, resettable turrets is also interesting. For example, it opens up the option of zeroing for 77 grain ammo, and then simply dialing from zero to whatever numbers you need for your 55 grain plinking ammo. When done playing around, simply dial back to zero.

I've currently got it mounted on a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. I've found that using a 160 yard zeroing scheme lends itself to a good maximum-point-blank-range, and it gets me on the BDC at useful distances for a 16" barrel shooting Golden Tiger. The holds become 200, 225, 250, 300, 325, 350. It also has a fine hash for a hold-under to get you very close at 90-100 (otherwise it's hitting 1.65" high with this zero scheme). I would think some permutation of this zeroing scheme would work well for most any of the Howa,Ruger,CZ rifles in 7.62x30/300 blackout. Or an AK/AR in similar caliber.

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying another for my lightweight BCM.

Here is a link to a review by an electro-optical engineer who is also a serious shooter and pretty well known in the industry http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2258

TGS
08-29-2019, 12:34 PM
That rifle in the picture is pure sex. I've wanted to pick one up, but last I looked (if it's the same model I'm thinking) they're about $3500.

The scope sounds awesome, thanks for sharing. It must be absolutely perfect for these smaller lightweight hunting rifles...CZ527, Ruger American Ranch, Howa Mini, etc. Keep us updated how it holds up on yours.

OlongJohnson
08-29-2019, 03:05 PM
#squirrelscope (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=squirrelscope)

frozentundra
08-29-2019, 04:38 PM
#squirrelscope (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=squirrelscope)

I think they also make a version with 50 yard parallax for rimfire guns. The standard Plex reticle is 100 yard parallax, and the BDC is set at 150yard parallax, if memory serves.

This is why I like SWFA scope designs. They seem to aim for the gaps in the market. They aren't afraid to make scopes that can't be all things for all people. Their fixed power scopes, particularly the 10x, have been a staple budget option for precision shooters for decades now. They're tough as nails.

And the resale value is usually strong at places like SnipersHide partly because of the fully transferable lifetime warranties.

If they make a scope that fits a niche you happen to inhabit, it's usually a good, solid product for the money.

But, like anything else, only time will tell with the new items.

Coyote41
08-29-2019, 06:43 PM
1” tube? SFP? MOA adjustments? BDC reticle?

Swing and a miss.

frozentundra
08-29-2019, 07:21 PM
1” tube? SFP? MOA adjustments? BDC reticle?

Swing and a miss.

It's not for that. It's for the other thing. :p

Coyote41
08-29-2019, 08:24 PM
It's not for that. It's for the other thing. :p

Maybe I’m spoiled or maybe I’m asking for the moon, but I fail to see the purpose of a SFP variable power scope with BDC. I could live with capped turrets in MOA, and the 1” tube (for weight savings). If they could make it FFP with a mil-dot, I’d be all over these like white on rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frozentundra
08-29-2019, 09:48 PM
Maybe I’m spoiled or maybe I’m asking for the moon, but I fail to see the purpose of a SFP variable power scope with BDC. I could live with capped turrets in MOA, and the 1” tube (for weight savings). If they could make it FFP with a mil-dot, I’d be all over these like white on rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. If I were designing a scope like this for myself, I'd also swap the BDC for a similarly configured mil-scale based tree. Add mrad turrets. Id keep the surrounding Plex the same.

Probably nobody but me and about 12 other people would buy it.

FFP usually means more bulk and also bulkier price tag.

I think these are mainly aimed at hunters who wear out their boots on a regular basis.

The thing is, this type of scope has been steadily disappearing from the market. Leupold has much of the remaining market share. They make good scopes, but they don't innovate much.
Usually it's just a simple duplex reticle. The BDCs that they do offer kinda stink, in my opinion.

SWFA stepped up pretty big for this niche segment, going lighter, with more magnification range, more features, and a genuinely well thought out BDC "tree" with wind holds. It offers enough information to at least make it useful for 'intermediate' calibers from 5.56 through 6.5 Grendel and most things in-between. I really like it for target shooting out to 400 with 7.62x39 with it's fine stadia. And at a competitive price.

I'm just happy to see the truly lightweight segment get a breath of fresh air. It seems to me that it'd been going the way of the dodo.

littlejerry
08-29-2019, 09:58 PM
It's cool to see a lightweight 2.5-10.

Count me in for a plain old Mil Dot. I'd love a lighter cheaper version of my NXS 2.5-10 for a 22 or hunting rig. No need or want for FFP in a 10x scope.

Poconnor
08-30-2019, 07:22 AM
This scope seems to be just the ticket for .223s and .22LR. I wish it had illum. I need to try and adjust the parallax for a rimfire. I like this reticle better than the duplex. I wish they made a FFP mrad version. I know it would cost 2X or 3x but I like scopes in this power range. I wish nightforce brought back the 2.5-10x32. Nightforce needs to start an LE line up like the SHV line. 4 models, two reticle choices. Less expensive to compete with vortex

SecondsCount
08-30-2019, 05:48 PM
I guess it is a good option if weight savings is your goal but I agree with Coyote41's objections.

I have one of the old Nightforce 2.5-10x32 with the Velocity reticle which is what the SWFA reticle is modeled after. It's a solid scope for making quick shots on large targets but for precision it would take a little more thought to dial or hold.

My preference is something more along the lines of the Vortex PST II 2-10, and with the mil turrets/mil reticle, offers a lot more flexibility. Unfortunately the FFP versions are not $350 :rolleyes:

frozentundra
08-31-2019, 03:42 PM
I guess it is a good option if weight savings is your goal but I agree with Coyote41's objections.

I have one of the old Nightforce 2.5-10x32 with the Velocity reticle which is what the SWFA reticle is modeled after. It's a solid scope for making quick shots on large targets but for precision it would take a little more thought to dial or hold.

My preference is something more along the lines of the Vortex PST II 2-10, and with the mil turrets/mil reticle, offers a lot more flexibility. Unfortunately the FFP versions are not $350 :rolleyes:

These seem like nice scopes you have listed, with nice feature sets. However, aren't they at least double the weight and triple the price? If they are even available for purchase in those configurations anymore?

The current model of the Vortex weighs in at 26.3 oz, unless I am mistaken. Three of the SWFA Ultralights taped together would weigh 28.5 oz.

How much are you guys carrying around your rifles in the wilderness?

I'd like to own the better glass, but I wouldn't want to pay for it, then lug it around over hill and dale, then beat the snot out of it while beating through brush on my way to climbing up and down ravines. For it's trouble, it gets to bounce around in the back of my 4runner for pretty much it's entire life. I'm glad it has SWFA's lifetime transferable warranty.

I can understand wanting different scopes. I like different scopes-all kinds of them. But for some applications, I like really light scopes. This is a scope for people who actually need/want a really light scope with good magnification range. I could wish for my dream reticle, but I think this one is quite usable compared to anything Leupold is offering in a comparable scope (or anybody else for that matter). But that's just me. I'm looking for an ultralight scope. Not a scope that isn't really light, but is awesome in all other sorts of ways. Although I like those too.

The kicker for me is that you can mount it with traditional rings on a flattop AR. It lets you get down to 1.35" or less height like some people use for service rifle competition. I like a tighter cheekweld than I can get on an AR with the one-piece optics mounts available. I think I'm going to try something in the range of 1.125" to 1.25" when I get it on an AR.

farscott
08-31-2019, 04:50 PM
I like the SWFA products, but this scope made me realize how much heavier scopes are getting. It is not a fair comparison, but the old Leupold M8-4X with the 28mm objective (the M8-4X Compact) is an ounce lighter. Here are the specs from the 1985 catalog.

Unrestricted Obj. lens diam = 28mm (1.1")
Unrestricted eye lens diam = 36mm (1.4")
Objective O.D. diam = 36mm (1.4")
Eyepiece O.D. diam = 41mm (1.6")
Tube diameter = 25mm(1")
Length = 290mm (11.4")
Weight = 241grams (8.5oz)

The M8-6X is much larger and it weighs less than two ounces more than the new SWFA offering. Here are the specs for it.

Unrestricted Obj. lens diam = 48mm (1.6")
Unrestricted eye lens diam = 36mm (1.4")
Objective O.D. diam = 42mm (1.6")
Eyepiece O.D. diam = 41mm (1.6")
Tube diameter = 25mm(1")
Length = 302mm (11.9")
Weight = 324grams (11.4oz)

Neither of these scopes were considered lightweight in their day and both were in common use. Scopes perform better today, especially with the modern lens coatings and click adjustments, but they seem to be getting heavier faster. I assume that is due to the ever-increasing variable magnification ratios (4x and 6x ratios are common!!) as well as the finger-adjustable turrets. The old 2.5x Alaskan weighs 6.5 ounces; that is a lightweight scope. For lightweight, it is hard to beat old-school fixed-power scopes. But I am blown away by a scope with a variable magnification ratio of 4X that weighs less than 10 ounces. That is truly impressive.

drummer
09-04-2019, 09:00 AM
Primary Arms announced a 2.5 to 10 in their Gold Series. I like the Griffin reticle better than the Vortex or SWFA offerings but the weight is still 22.5 oz., making it barely lighter than the Vortex and much heavier than the SWFA.

https://www.primaryarms.com/gold-series-glx-2.5-10x44-ffp-rifle-scope-acss-griffin-mil-reticle

SecondsCount
09-04-2019, 11:16 AM
These seem like nice scopes you have listed, with nice feature sets. However, aren't they at least double the weight and triple the price? If they are even available for purchase in those configurations anymore?

The current model of the Vortex weighs in at 26.3 oz, unless I am mistaken. Three of the SWFA Ultralights taped together would weigh 28.5 oz.

How much are you guys carrying around your rifles in the wilderness?

I'd like to own the better glass, but I wouldn't want to pay for it, then lug it around over hill and dale, then beat the snot out of it while beating through brush on my way to climbing up and down ravines. For it's trouble, it gets to bounce around in the back of my 4runner for pretty much it's entire life. I'm glad it has SWFA's lifetime transferable warranty.

I can understand wanting different scopes. I like different scopes-all kinds of them. But for some applications, I like really light scopes. This is a scope for people who actually need/want a really light scope with good magnification range. I could wish for my dream reticle, but I think this one is quite usable compared to anything Leupold is offering in a comparable scope (or anybody else for that matter). But that's just me. I'm looking for an ultralight scope. Not a scope that isn't really light, but is awesome in all other sorts of ways. Although I like those too.

The kicker for me is that you can mount it with traditional rings on a flattop AR. It lets you get down to 1.35" or less height like some people use for service rifle competition. I like a tighter cheekweld than I can get on an AR with the one-piece optics mounts available. I think I'm going to try something in the range of 1.125" to 1.25" when I get it on an AR.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that the new cool was a lightweight AR bouncing around in the back of a 4Runner. I've got the 4Runner but maybe I need to lighten up the AR a little ;)

If you came here to justify your purchase, I get your point and was not trying to diminish your setup. I occasionally carry my AR into the wilderness, and it does ride in the back of my 4Runner, but the reality is that if you live in the US and have any kind of a decent job, you can afford to put whatever optic that you want on your AR, especially if you can afford to keep a 4Runner fed. They are hungry little SUV's.

3rd Gens for the win!

StraitR
09-05-2019, 09:33 PM
Man I love 4Runners. From the first time I saw one in 1986(ish) to the latest and greatest. It's the equivalent of my vehicle spirit animal.

Ok, back to optics talk. I would love this LW 2.5-10 if SWFA put in a mil based reticle. Not interested in BDC or duplex (Leupold, are you listening? Duplex sucks, and I'm not paying MSRP + custom shop cost to buy one with a decent reticle). Hoping SWFA brings out one with their Mil-Quad, in which case I'll buy two if not three at the current price.

frozentundra
09-15-2019, 07:34 AM
Primary Arms announced a 2.5 to 10 in their Gold Series. I like the Griffin reticle better than the Vortex or SWFA offerings but the weight is still 22.5 oz., making it barely lighter than the Vortex and much heavier than the SWFA.

https://www.primaryarms.com/gold-series-glx-2.5-10x44-ffp-rifle-scope-acss-griffin-mil-reticle

Primary arms sure cranks out some good reticles for certain applications! I like when the smaller companies take the initiative to drive industry innovation.

I hope they eventually tackle a lightweight hunting optic, but the industry seems to be moving away from that form factor.

frozentundra
09-15-2019, 08:04 AM
Oh sorry, I didn't realize that the new cool was a lightweight AR bouncing around in the back of a 4Runner. I've got the 4Runner but maybe I need to lighten up the AR a little ;)

If you came here to justify your purchase, I get your point and was not trying to diminish your setup. I occasionally carry my AR into the wilderness, and it does ride in the back of my 4Runner, but the reality is that if you live in the US and have any kind of a decent job, you can afford to put whatever optic that you want on your AR, especially if you can afford to keep a 4Runner fed. They are hungry little SUV's.

3rd Gens for the win!

You're a little behind the times. The cool kids are using lightweight bolt guns and driving 4th gens.

I can't actually justify anything except a g19 and 12 guage pump (and a 6720 if I've got my tinfoil hat on). I've tried and failed for years. Nowadays, I simply accept that I wants what I wants. I have not the talent for reasonability.

I'm just trying to let others who share my strange preferences know that somebody has innovated past Leupold in this vanishing market segment. If they actually come out with a mil reticle I'll sprain fingers ordering. I like the form factor that much.

frozentundra
09-15-2019, 08:22 AM
Man I love 4Runners. From the first time I saw one in 1986(ish) to the latest and greatest. It's the equivalent of my vehicle spirit animal.

Ok, back to optics talk. I would love this LW 2.5-10 if SWFA put in a mil based reticle. Not interested in BDC or duplex (Leupold, are you listening? Duplex sucks, and I'm not paying MSRP + custom shop cost to buy one with a decent reticle). Hoping SWFA brings out one with their Mil-Quad, in which case I'll buy two if not three at the current price.

Ive got a fixed 10x with the Mil-Quad. Great scope for the price, especially when they're running a sale. However, I find it to be a little slow to see against a background of dense foliage when it gets overcast. I could wish for a tad bolder subtension in a lightweight hunter, as long as I'm wishing upon the SWFA star.

littlejerry
09-15-2019, 10:21 AM

I'm 100% with you here. Mil Quad or Mil Dot would win me over and I'd by 2-3 immediately.

I still love my NXS 2.5-10 and wish for a cheaper version to put on .22s and light duty rifles.

frozentundra
10-16-2019, 05:38 PM
I'm 100% with you here. Mil Quad or Mil Dot would win me over and I'd by 2-3 immediately.

I still love my NXS 2.5-10 and wish for a cheaper version to put on .22s and light duty rifles.

Chris Farris at SWFA just confirmed that they will be producing a Mil-Quad version of this scope, coming "soon", on SWFA's Optics Talk forum.

:cool:

Also, it appears as though the turrets on these scopes have been tracking exceptionally well. Pretty cool from this form factor!

Lost River
10-17-2019, 09:51 PM
You're a little behind the times. The cool kids are using lightweight bolt guns and driving 4th gens.

I can't actually justify anything except a g19 and 12 guage pump (and a 6720 if I've got my tinfoil hat on). I've tried and failed for years. Nowadays, I simply accept that I wants what I wants. I have not the talent for reasonability.

I'm just trying to let others who share my strange preferences know that somebody has innovated past Leupold in this vanishing market segment. If they actually come out with a mil reticle I'll sprain fingers ordering. I like the form factor that much.

Dang, I thought the cool kids drove Old School Land Cruisers and opted for "Practical Rifles", aka quasi-scout type, all around rifles, and skipped the ultra light rifles.

BTW count me down for a new MIL-QUAD 2-5-10 ultralight. That is perfect for a hunting rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/JFoO8HT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WWCXC3c.jpg

Duelist
10-18-2019, 03:34 AM
When we’re talking light recoil and eye relief issues, I’m wondering if the .270 Featherweight I’m trying to pick a scope for will be a candidate for this scope, since it weighs about what I’m hoping to find to put on it, has a reasonable reticle and turrets, but I don’t need to smack myself in the eyebrow b/c I put a 5.56/.22 rimfire scope with not enough eye relief on a big game rifle.

littlejerry
10-18-2019, 09:01 AM
I'm looking at this for my M&P 15/22 as a trainer for my NXS topped AR.

I may also put it on a CZ 452 for long range rimfire practice.

frozentundra
10-18-2019, 09:47 AM
When we’re talking light recoil and eye relief issues, I’m wondering if the .270 Featherweight I’m trying to pick a scope for will be a candidate for this scope, since it weighs about what I’m hoping to find to put on it, has a reasonable reticle and turrets, but I don’t need to smack myself in the eyebrow b/c I put a 5.56/.22 rimfire scope with not enough eye relief on a big game rifle.

I wouldn't go this route, but I'm pretty recoil sensitive, not a big guy, and I don't care to 'form up' my technique in a way that attempts to truly arrest heavy recoil. It wouldn't be an issue on 2.5x, but I'd not be comfortable on 10x.

I'm guessing this threshold is going to be a very individual proposition. I think Ilya Koshkin was using one on a custom Mosin without trouble, but don't quote me on that.

OlongJohnson
07-05-2021, 09:20 PM
Chris Farris at SWFA just confirmed that they will be producing a Mil-Quad version of this scope, coming "soon", on SWFA's Optics Talk forum.

:cool:

Also, it appears as though the turrets on these scopes have been tracking exceptionally well. Pretty cool from this form factor!

Any updates from SWFA? I just looked at their site and saw only the BDC, plex, and rimfire versions. Still just SOONTM? (They need to pay Tau Dev royalties for that marketing plan.)

Thinking this would be perfect for my slow-twist .223 Contender project.

frozentundra
07-05-2021, 11:21 PM
Any updates from SWFA? I just looked at their site and saw only the BDC, plex, and rimfire versions. Still just SOONTM? (They need to pay Tau Dev royalties for that marketing plan.)

Thinking this would be perfect for my slow-twist .223 Contender project.

I've not been keeping up. It was talked about here just before covid was getting ready to pop. http://www.opticstalk.com/new-swfa-ss-2-510x32-ultralight-bdc-rifle-scope_topic45830_page4.html

Another place to keep an eye out for info would be Illya Koshkin's (The Dark Lord of Optics) website/blog called Optics Thoughts. However, I think he may be doing more on facebook and youtube than his website lately. Review of the BDC version here.
https://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2317

Hit Illya up with a message on social media/forum/website if you want to try to get the inside scoop. He is tight with the SWFA people. Plus he is just a really cool guy.
https://www.facebook.com/DarkLordOfOptics
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8LveRHZgnq469aWVQVhM2w