PDA

View Full Version : Gender diverse space crews

LittleLebowski
08-28-2019, 03:28 PM
https://time.com/5663315/space-gender-diversity/

AKDoug
08-28-2019, 11:56 PM
Refreshing take from a woman that has done more than most men. I'm married to a gal like Marsha Ivins. No bullshit, get the hell out of my way, " I've got this" kind of lady that has zero patience for gender diversity and feminist diatribe.

BehindBlueI's
08-29-2019, 07:26 AM
I took my family to "Lunch with an Astronaut" and met Barbara Morgan. My son has her autographed poster in his bedroom. I remain confused by the notion one must share a skin tone or set of genitals to be inspired by someone.

BillSWPA
08-29-2019, 09:46 AM
https://time.com/5663315/space-gender-diversity/

That article is a refreshing dose of common sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lex Luthier
08-29-2019, 10:49 AM
I know a female space shuttle astronaut; her views would probably closely mirror those of the author.

Chance
08-29-2019, 11:29 AM
In the social media age, NASA has to observed virtue signaling like everyone else. The fact that the agency was decades ahead of its time with regards to race and gender is largely irrelevant. Twitter didn't exist when Katherine Johnson was making John Glenn feel better about his flight plan, so it doesn't count.

LittleLebowski
08-29-2019, 12:03 PM
In the social media age, NASA has to observed virtue signaling like everyone else. The fact that the agency was decades ahead of its time with regards to race and gender is largely irrelevant. Twitter didn't exist when Katherine Johnson was making John Glenn feel better about his flight plan, so it doesn't count.

Good post.

BillSWPA
08-29-2019, 04:28 PM

Why?

Isn’t it good enough to have a diverse group that works well together as a natural result of hiring the best people for the job without regard to other considerations?

Wouldn’t the environment described in the link from the original post signal more virtue than wasting everyone’s time talking about diversity?

BehindBlueI's
08-29-2019, 05:18 PM
Why?

Wouldn’t the environment described in the link from the original post signal more virtue than wasting everyone’s time talking about diversity?

Sure, but that doesn't further careers at the top. White guys, especially, have to preach "diversity" to protect and further their own standing.

revchuck38
08-29-2019, 05:28 PM
Isn’t it good enough to have a diverse group that works well together as a natural result of hiring the best people for the job without regard to other considerations?

Absolutely not! Such thoughts are anathema!

/sarc

Duelist
08-29-2019, 05:58 PM
“This is NASA. We all pee the same color here.”

I don’t care if he actually said it, that was a brilliant line.