PDA

View Full Version : Vodka Thread

breakingtime91
08-25-2019, 02:07 PM
A neighbor recently reintroduced me to vodka. I have really grown a taste for it and it has become my go to social or recreational drink now.

Anyone else love vodka? My favorite right now is Titos with some lemon or with soda water and lemon.

blues
08-25-2019, 02:13 PM
A neighbor recently reintroduced me to vodka. I have really grown a taste for it and it has become my go to social or recreational drink now.

Anyone else love vodka? My favorite right now is Titos with some lemon or with soda water and lemon.

Can't say I love it as I drink it only from time to time...but we had some Tito's not too long ago and I thought it was pretty good stuff. (But I'm no connoisseur.)

Baldanders
08-25-2019, 02:37 PM
I moved on to gin, mostly.

But Tito's is good. If you like the potato vodka "bite," I recommend Luksusowa for a mid-priced vodka, Svedka if you like it clean.

Ketel is probably my favorite, but I'm not usually willing to pay the premium over Tito's.

A good Mocow Mule is very nice, but the ginger beer may be the most important ingredient.

blues
08-25-2019, 02:43 PM
I moved on to gin, mostly.

But Tito's is good. If you like the potato vodka "bite," I recommend Luksusowa for a mid-priced vodka, Svedka if you like it clean.

Ketel is probably my favorite, but I'm not usually willing to pay the premium over Tito's.

A good Mocow Mule is very nice, but the ginger beer may be the most important ingredient.

My wife has a large bottle of Svedka I bought her for mixing summer drinks, (Cosmopolitans, Vodka Tonics), because I figured it was only vodka and it was very inexpensive. Turns out that it's apparently pretty decent. Lucky guess on my part.

Jim Watson
08-25-2019, 02:54 PM

Yup. Not a regular of mine but I stock up for visits by one friend.

WobblyPossum
08-25-2019, 03:07 PM
My favorite is Ketel One but Tito’s is almost as good at about half the price so it’s my go-to. I like vodka tonics, Moscow Mules, and have been known to order the occasional vodka martini.

Baldanders
08-25-2019, 03:32 PM
My wife has a large bottle of Svedka I bought her for mixing summer drinks, (Cosmopolitans, Vodka Tonics), because I figured it was only vodka and it was very inexpensive. Turns out that it's apparently pretty decent. Lucky guess on my part.

I used to think of Svedka, Luksusowa, and Fris as the holy trinity of cheap decent vodkas, until they started making Fris in Canada. Last I checked, Fris now tastes like isopropyl. Unfortunately, I only discovered this after infusing some Fris with blackberries from our yard. Very disappointing.

blues
08-25-2019, 03:34 PM
I used to think of Svedka, Luksusowa, and Fris as the holy trinty of cheap decent vodkas, until they started making Fris in Canada. Last I checked, Fris now tastes like isopropyl. Unfortunately, I only discovered this after infusing some Fris with blackberries from our yard. Very disappointing.

Her last bottle was Fris, but I think it was Danish or other Scandinavian origin. Definitely not Canadian.

Baldanders
08-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Now that I am thinking about it, my stepson got a me a big bottle of some Scandinavian vodka that was pretty much like Ketel a few years back. Decent price, and I know they still carry it around here, can't recall the name.

Old Man Winter
08-25-2019, 04:20 PM
I like some vodka from time to time in the summer months. Local made Prairie Vodka is my favorite, Tito's, Deep Eddy, and Grand Teton are also good.

Baldanders
08-25-2019, 04:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the vodka I was thinking of is Reyka. Extremely clean.

randyho
08-25-2019, 04:30 PM
Baldanders knows his vodka. I'd add Sobieski to the realm of things that started well and went horribly horribly wrong. For mixers, I see no reason to not go with Luksosowa. Tito's, a traditional Texas vodka, has a pronounced peppery finish most others don't.

Tonic and lemon and/or lime for me, please. It's not like scurvy is going to kill itself.

In ~60 days, with vanilla ginger ale, thanks.

fly out
08-25-2019, 05:19 PM
I agree that Luksusowa is a great choice for your do-it-all, inexpensive vodka.

I think Ciroc, a French grape-based vodka, is worth a try. Some might find it on the expensive side. The folks at Buffalo Trace make a wheat-based option, Wheatley, that is less money, and also worth trying.

If you're willing to let a little flavor sneak in, then TRU Garden Vodka from Greenbar in California is an interesting product. It's infused with botanicals and herbs, and it's interesting in cocktails, or alone. It's billed as organic, so your millennial friends will approve. It's a bit like gin without the juniper (or "gin without the gin", if you will).

For a fruit-based profile, Sol, out of Illinois (North Shore Distillers) is infused with citrus and a little chamomile. Again, switch it into cocktails, shake it and serve it up, or sip it.

And for something completely different, search out Miodula honey vodka. Check the liqueur section. You may have to ask to have it ordered for you. The story goes that a portion of the Presidential bottling is reserved for the president of Poland to give as state gifts, and to serve at state functions. I have no reason to doubt that. It's not expensive. It can just be hard to find.

[Full disclosure: I own a wine shop that sells a few vodkas, including these. I don't/can't ship, so this is not an attempt to shill my wares.]

jeep45238
08-25-2019, 06:07 PM
As a gin lover with limited taste buds (I can never be a connisouir of anything food/drink based - horrible sense of smell and limited taste), you've got my attention fly out

breakingtime91
08-25-2019, 06:10 PM
As a gin lover with limited taste buds (I can never be a connisouir of anything food/drink based - horrible sense of smell and limited taste), you've got my attention fly out

as someone who really like vodka, do I need to explore gin?

jeep45238
08-25-2019, 06:14 PM

As one GSD lover to another - this is like asking a stout fan if they should try porters.

Of course you do :)

That said, right now I'm finishing the last of a limited run of whiskey (the Barreled Reporter) by 12.05 distillery - go get some if you can find any, it's a one-and-done deal.

https://www.indianapolismonthly.com/food-and-drinks/drinks/1205-distillery

breakingtime91
08-25-2019, 06:15 PM
As one GSD lover to another - this is like asking a stout fan if they should try porters.

Of course you do :)

That said, right now I'm finishing the last of a limited run of whiskey (the Barreled Reporter) by 12.05 distillery - go get some if you can find any, it's a one-and-done deal.

https://www.indianapolismonthly.com/food-and-drinks/drinks/1205-distillery

I love whiskey, whiskey does not love me :(

randyho
08-25-2019, 06:16 PM
If the combination of pine needles and hate intrigues you, yes.

jeep45238
08-25-2019, 06:16 PM
I love whiskey, whiskey does not love me :(

It's not a two way street (barring medical reasons) - if you love whiskey, it loves you - like a drill sergeant loves their recruits.

jeep45238
08-25-2019, 06:17 PM

My favorite tree take downs are pines and furs, so.....yes please?

breakingtime91
08-25-2019, 06:17 PM
It's not a two way street (barring medical reasons) - if you love whiskey, it loves you - like a drill sergeant loves their recruits.

because a medical condition I am really sensitive to changes in my diet. Whiskey, for whatever reason, makes my body freak out.

jeep45238
08-25-2019, 06:18 PM
because a medical condition I am really sensitive to changes in my diet. Whiskey, for whatever reason, makes my body freak out.

Just like a DS freaks out their recruits ;) I kid man, find something you like and explore the fuck out of it.

TQP
08-25-2019, 07:26 PM
I'm not a huge vodka fan, but when I do, I prefer Tito's. And not just because my dog made their calendar one year.

Jameison(RIP) is second from the right. Our friend Natalie rescues dalmatians and that's a picture of him before we adopted him.

Sensei
08-25-2019, 07:52 PM
Goose, Kettle One, Tito’s are my go-to for martinis. Crystal head is good on the rocks.

Bratch
08-25-2019, 07:53 PM
Cross post from the whiskey thread but Buffalo Trace is marking a Vodka that seemed pretty solid with the sample I tried. I think they said it was under $20, if I was hunting Vodka I’d probably pick a bottle up.

RoyGBiv
08-25-2019, 07:53 PM
Western Son
Reyka
Ciroc

JAD
08-25-2019, 09:34 PM

I have indeed dated a Tennessee Democrat; tell me more.

Gray01
08-26-2019, 01:44 AM
Belvedere
Reyka

Bucky
08-26-2019, 05:08 AM
Ketel One martini is my go to drink when I’m looking to “chill” :cool: