PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Tango Down Slide Release Lever

DocGKR
03-13-2011, 02:29 AM
I installed quite a few Vickers Slide Releases on officers' guns yesterday. Today I shot several hundred rounds through a G19 equipped with a Vickers slide release --without a doubt, for me this is the perfect slide release lever for Glocks and is now a mandatory item for Glocks I use, much like the Vickers Mag Catch.

BigT
03-13-2011, 03:17 AM
I think I'm going to need to give one of these a try.

John Ralston
03-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Any issues with accidental activation when shooting?

willowofwisp
03-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Will they fit into a raven holster still?

DocGKR
03-13-2011, 11:45 AM
While more positive in function, the Vickers release had no more issues than the standard Glock release and had LESS problems than the Glock extended release.

JV_
03-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Do you have a link for ordering?

Kyle Reese
03-13-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm interested as well.

DocGKR
03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Call Tango Down and ask--they shipped us quite a few without any issues.

3-7-77
03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Will these work on G21/20?

fuse
03-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Cool. I'm actually quite happy with the stock release, but I reckon I'll throw one on one of my glocks someday.

Shellback
03-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Do you have a link for ordering?

TD is saying approximately 2 weeks for the general population.

Shellback
03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Grey Group has them up for backorder now. http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-3735/VICKERS-GLOCK-SLIDE-STOP/Detail.bok

Hope it helps.

ToddG
03-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Just got one in the mail yesterday. Of course, now I need to wait until Friday to have a gun to put it on.

Personally, I think this thing is going to be an even bigger hit than the Vickers mag button...

davisj
03-22-2011, 06:13 AM
I received three yesterday along with a Vickers mag release. I installed them on my G19s and did a little reloading with snap caps but I won't be able to get to the range until next week. These don't interfere with my grip the way the Glock extended slide stop does, I think I'm going to like them.

ToddG
03-22-2011, 07:33 AM
This thing is basically a license to print money for Vickers and Tango Down. I've used it over three days and ~2000rd and I can give it the best compliment possible: it works without me having to think about it at all.

The slide locked back every time, I never accidentally rode the lever (which is an issue many people have with the Glock competition extended lever) .
The slide never locked back prematurely, I never accidentally kicked it in recoil (which is something I've had happen with the Glock competition extended lever).
I never once missed the slide stop during a slide lock reload (which is something I've had happen with the standard Glock lever).

VolGrad
03-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Damn you TLG. I was going to wait and let any issues with the early production parts shake out. After reading this thread I want a handful of these now.

Jason
03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
I have Vicker's mag releases on all three of my glocks and intend to install the TD slide releases as well. I don't ride the exteneded release that glock makes but the stock glock release is too slippery to depend on.

Shellback
03-28-2011, 06:47 PM
LAV's site is shipping them now. (https://www.nettac.com/Vickers-Tactical-Slide-Stop-for-Glock_p_118.html) I have mine ordered through Grey Group otherwise I'd hit this up right away before the stock is diminished.

markp
04-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Just ordered the combo-pack and an individual slide release lever from NetTac based on the reviews of this thread.

http://www.nettac.com/Glock-Parts_c_31.html

Looking forward to trying them out.

SmokeJumper
04-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Ok, question for you Glock experts, would this new slide release aid in preventing my accidental slide releases at slide lock with the OEM Glock slide release? Secondly, is this something I can easily install without the armorer doing it? Thanks for the input.

VolGrad
04-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Ok, question for you Glock experts, would this new slide release aid in preventing my accidental slide releases at slide lock with the OEM Glock slide release? Secondly, is this something I can easily install without the armorer doing it? Thanks for the input.

Prob not. That's more of a software issue IMO.
Yes, easy to install.

Chris_S
04-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Anyone else having failures to lock back with the slide release and older mags? The two magazines that came with my Glock from February are working just fine but a few used LE marked magazines never locked back on my first range trip with the new slide release. The LE mags had worked fine on previous trips before the Vickers slide release (albeit with WWB instead of Federal ammo).

Shellback
04-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Secondly, is this something I can easily install without the armorer doing it? Thanks for the input.

Try these for some help. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1362&bih=622&q=install+glock+slide+release&aq=0&aqi=g1g-j1g-m2g-b1&aql=&oq=install+glock+slide)

YVK
04-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Anyone else having failures to lock back with the slide release and older mags? The two magazines that came with my Glock from February are working just fine but a few used LE marked magazines never locked back on my first range trip with the new slide release. The LE mags had worked fine on previous trips before the Vickers slide release (albeit with WWB instead of Federal ammo).

I am curious if you're inadvertently engaging slide stop since it is a bit larger in profile, and mags are simply coincidental. I would shoot it left-hand only with those LE mags first and see if problem repeats.

fuse
04-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I am curious if you're inadvertently engaging slide stop since it is a bit larger in profile, and mags are simply coincidental. I would shoot it left-hand only with those LE mags first and see if problem repeats.

This, and possibly those mags need new mag springs.

JConn
04-12-2011, 06:46 PM
This, and possibly those mags need new mag springs.

The spring on my Vicker's slide release is significantly stronger than the one on my OEM slide release. Combine that with old mag springs and BAM...problem. So essentially, yeah what he said.

zRxz
04-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Does anyone have a line in on a Vicker's Slide Release + Magazine Release that can be shipped to Canada for less than the parts themselves?

SmokeJumper
04-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Try these for some help. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1362&bih=622&q=install+glock+slide+release&aq=0&aqi=g1g-j1g-m2g-b1&aql=&oq=install+glock+slide)

Irish-thanks for the instructional videos, I hadn't thought about it, but there's just about a video for everything online.

Prob not. That's more of a software issue IMO.
Yes, easy to install.

As always VolGrad, thanks for the sound advice.

JHC
04-13-2011, 09:36 AM
The spring on my Vicker's slide release is significantly stronger than the one on my OEM slide release. Combine that with old mag springs and BAM...problem. So essentially, yeah what he said.

I don't have any real experience running magazines compromised by dusty/sandy environments. Does it stand to reason that such factors could replicate the effect of older magazine springs with this aftermarket part vs the OEM part?

JConn
04-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Just to clarify I have had no issues with mine and I really like it...

Shellback
04-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Any suggestions for removing the large pin? I've tried pressing it by hand, using a punch, and also giving it a few whacks with a hammer but no dice... I don't really think it should be necessary to beat the snot out of it after seeing a few videos of others doing it.

I also tried wiggling the release without success. I can get the pin to move back & forth approx. 1/16" but not enough to clear the frame on either side.

EDIT: Got it, never mind.

willowofwisp
04-14-2011, 10:36 PM
I ran 200 rounds through mine today..I had two magazines that wouldn't lock back with the slide release (but would with the stock lever) I also had two incidents where the slide locked open with rounds still inside the magazine. I switched back to the stock release until i can get some more behind the vickers release.

greyghost
04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Just got one of these. Looks nice, doesn't seem to stick out to far and it is much easier accessing the slide lever.

Plan on running this the next couple weeks to see how it works for me.

orionz06
04-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Got one on the way.

Chris_S
04-16-2011, 08:30 AM
My failure to lock back issues were definitely the magazine springs and not user error. It's great being able to easily drop the slide with your thumb, you just need to make sure that old, wimpy mag springs get replaced if you're using one.

GearScout
04-18-2011, 04:25 PM
I posted a bunch of photos that show the Vickers lever vs. the two factory levers over on the blog (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/04/15/vickers-slide-release-for-glocks/). I shot photos that you can overlay and see exactly what's different from the top, side, rear, etc..I hope this helps folks decide if it'll work for them.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/files/2011/04/041411od_02Animation.gif

VolGrad
04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Great pic GearScout. Thanks for posting.

SmokeJumper
04-19-2011, 07:52 PM
That is a great comparison pic Gear Scout, it illustrates the differences on all three versions. Thanks for hooking that one up

markp
04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
My slide stop was waiting at the pobox this afternoon.
Headed over to the range and dropped it in.

First attempt was a Bill drill - slide locked to the rear at the 4th rd point!

I have a pretty high support grip and could feel the SS diggin' into my palmbase at the start (with the Glock extended SS, I have the same issues).

Ran ~125 rds with intermittent stoppages, so I replaced the new SS with the stock part
and it's back to 100%.

Not even going to bother with the Vickers extended mag release at this point...

Pennzoil
04-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Not even going to bother with the Vickers extended mag release at this point...

Mark too bad the slide release didn't work for you but if you ever want to give the Vickers extended mag release a free test drive I have an extra one you can borrow for awhile.

markp
04-25-2011, 10:20 PM
thanks man, but I have an unopened combo pack that I'm looking at returning back to NETTAC.

jslaker
04-26-2011, 12:35 AM
I posted a bunch of photos that show the Vickers lever vs. the two factory levers over on the blog (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/04/15/vickers-slide-release-for-glocks/). I shot photos that you can overlay and see exactly what's different from the top, side, rear, etc..I hope this helps folks decide if it'll work for them.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/files/2011/04/041411od_02Animation.gif

Thanks for the great pictures. This makes it clear why the people here that have tried it are raving about it. This looks like a huge improvement over the factory options.

Ga Shooter
05-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Any problems running the Vivker's mag release with a Shaggy or a Raven holster?

JV_
05-05-2011, 08:30 AM
No issues with the Shaggy, at least with mine.

Shellback
05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
No issues with Raven, Atomic Dog or MTAC.

Ga Shooter
05-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks! I was hoping that would be the case.

VolGrad
05-05-2011, 07:21 PM
No issues with Raven, Atomic Dog or MTAC.

I have no issues with it in Raven or Personal Security Holsters but my CTAC is a bit off. I need to take a hair dryer to it to mod it a bit to accommodate the LAV slide stop.

JHC
05-08-2011, 07:11 PM
A relevent discussion was starting on this linked thread but it was quickly closed.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=80472

JV_
05-08-2011, 07:51 PM
I had a premature lock back, with my Gen3 17. I'm not entirely sure it wasn't my fault, but I didn't think my grip was too high. I'll keep an eye on it.

VolGrad
05-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I had a premature lock back, with my Gen3 17. I'm not entirely sure it wasn't my fault, but I didn't think my grip was too high. I'll keep an eye on it.

I had one on my Gen3 G19 in a 2-day HACK class last weekend without a single issue.

willowofwisp
05-08-2011, 09:04 PM
I had one on my Gen3 G19 in a 2-day HACK class last weekend without a single issue.

I had a premature lockback twice the first range trip i had with the vickers slide release, at that point I removed it and put the stock release back in, about two weeks ago i tried the Vickers again, so far 450 rounds and no issue with it, Im thinking it was user induced on my end

VolGrad
05-09-2011, 01:26 PM
I had a premature lockback twice the first range trip i had with the vickers slide release, at that point I removed it and put the stock release back in, about two weeks ago i tried the Vickers again, so far 450 rounds and no issue with it, Im thinking it was user induced on my end

I've actually seen a GLOCK OEM ext slide stop cause pre-mature lockback. The part somehow became bent outward either from carry or hard handling and kept locking the slide back on the user until he figured out what was causing it.