08-20-2019, 06:02 PM
http://soldiersystems.net/2019/08/20/colt-announces-king-cobra-target-revolver/

4" barrel, adjustable sights.

feudist
08-20-2019, 06:57 PM
DAMMIT!

Baldanders
08-20-2019, 06:59 PM
I see myself making a choice between this and a 4" 686 or GP100 somewhere down the line.

Crossing my fingers for a 5" version.

The current King Cobra continues to be a much prettier gun than the previous version.

Stephanie B
08-20-2019, 08:51 PM
"The New Colt 686".... meh.

I have a 686. Maybe if I needed another one, but I'd like to see how this stacks up against the Match Champion.

Not to belabor a point, but if those frigging turdlets in Springfield, MA ditched the IL, it'd be no contest for me.

Inkwell 41
08-21-2019, 08:51 AM
"The New Colt 686".... meh.

I have a 686. Maybe if I needed another one, but I'd like to see how this stacks up against the Match Champion.

Not to belabor a point, but if those frigging turdlets in Springfield, MA ditched the IL, it'd be no contest for me.

It'd be nice if those "frigging turdlets in Springfield MA" looked at this as a shot across the bow and decided to do just that.

Stephanie B
08-21-2019, 09:37 AM
It'd be nice if those "frigging turdlets in Springfield MA" looked at this as a shot across the bow and decided to do just that.

What chaps my ass about this is that early last year, I bought a M&P Shield. No IL. I have no idea why the Turdlets put them on revolvers and not on semis. Makes no damned sense.

entropy
08-21-2019, 09:51 AM
Hmmm. Never owned a Colt revolver. Looks interesting. Better lines than the Ruger. I still think the trigger guard is ugly as sin.

Inkwell 41
08-21-2019, 10:40 AM
What chaps my ass about this is that early last year, I bought a M&P Shield. No IL. I have no idea why the Turdlets put them on revolvers and not on semis. Makes no damned sense.

There is no reason for it, it's just their policy.

Seriously, Smith and Wesson, if you are scanning the ether and see this..... MAKE ALL YOUR REVOLVERS WITHOUT INTERNAL LOCKS.

Lester Polfus
08-21-2019, 04:02 PM
The Smith and Wesson internal locks are driven by a legal agreement they made in 2000. It's rather byzantine, and I don't pretend to understand why some guns are covered, but others aren't, but they are still bound by it.

Stephanie B
08-21-2019, 05:09 PM
The Smith and Wesson internal locks are driven by a legal agreement they made in 2000. It's rather byzantine, and I don't pretend to understand why some guns are covered, but others aren't, but they are still bound by it.

It was an agreement with the Clinton Administration. I don't know why that binds them, who gives a shit.

Lester Polfus
08-21-2019, 05:40 PM
It was an agreement with the Clinton Administration. I don't know why that binds them, who gives a shit.

Do you know that it doesn't? I'm not arguing I just genuinely don't know the ins and outs of all this because I'm not a lawyer.

Stephanie B
08-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Do you know that it doesn't? I'm not arguing I just genuinely don't know the ins and outs of all this because I'm not a lawyer.

I don't know one way or another. All I've ever seen has been the press release from 2000.

It is dumb as hell. The IL lock is the same on every gun. At least the free trigger locks have different keys. But "dumb" has never made no difference to management of most companies.

jetfire
08-22-2019, 02:18 AM
I don't know one way or another. All I've ever seen has been the press release from 2000.

It is dumb as hell. The IL lock is the same on every gun. At least the free trigger locks have different keys. But "dumb" has never made no difference to management of most companies.

Smith and Wesson is still a publicly traded company, right? Consider the optics of explaining in a shareholder’s meeting why, after almost 20 years, you deleted a “safety feature” from one of your popular lines of handguns. Could they? Yes. Do the vast majority of revolver buyers give a shit about it? No.

Stephanie B
08-22-2019, 08:19 AM
Smith and Wesson is still a publicly traded company, right? Consider the optics of explaining in a shareholder’s meeting why, after almost 20 years, you deleted a “safety feature” from one of your popular lines of handguns. Could they? Yes. Do the vast majority of revolver buyers give a shit about it? No.
You're probably right, with some damned busybody nun who bought one share questioning it.

Still, they could make a run of no-lock guns and sell it as "consumer choice, letting the buyer decide what they want."

Inkwell 41
08-22-2019, 10:23 AM
You're probably right, with some damned busybody nun who bought one share questioning it.

Still, they could make a run of no-lock guns and sell it as "consumer choice, letting the buyer decide what they want."

THIS

Lester Polfus
08-22-2019, 10:41 AM

I had a J-frame spontaneously lock itself while shooting, so you're preaching to the choir about how stupid the lock is. It's just that it isn't clear to me that they could make an executive decision to stop putting the lock in all guns, even if they wanted to. My understanding is that its some sort of "settlement," which suggests to me that they have some kind of obligation to continue to do it, but I can't find any real details.

Zeke38
08-22-2019, 11:26 AM
Back to the new Colt's. Haven't seen the weight on this guy and are they actually "in the wild"?

This looks like a new woods loafing fun gun. If it shoots as good as my new Cobra it will see a lot of use.

Gun Mutt
08-22-2019, 11:38 AM
FFS, nobody gonna do pics? Used to be some standards around here...just sayin.

Jenkies Scoobie, those are some yuge pics!

Lester Polfus
08-22-2019, 12:03 PM
Back to the new Colt's. Haven't seen the weight on this guy and are they actually "in the wild"?

This looks like a new woods loafing fun gun. If it shoots as good as my new Cobra it will see a lot of use.

Funny you should mention that. I was just trying to find a weight for the King Cobra Target, to no avail.

Colt lists the 2", fixed sight model as 26oz. So even with two more inches of tube, it would come in well under my 4" GP100. At 40 oz. it weighs as much as an N-Frame...

They do not appear to be in the wild yet.

Totem Polar
08-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Funny you should mention that. I was just trying to find a weight for the King Cobra Target, to no avail.

Colt lists the 2", fixed sight model as 26oz. So even with two more inches of tube, it would come in well under my 4" GP100. At 40 oz. it weighs as much as an N-Frame...

They do not appear to be in the wild yet.

The 3" King is listed at 28oz. I can tell you that the King feels absolutely miniature next to my 4" NY-1 K, since I just shot them side-by-side earlier this week. I really like the new Colts.

If I was a betting man, I’d guess the specs on the 4.2" to be 32.5-33oz when they come out. Time will tell.

Lester Polfus
08-22-2019, 12:33 PM
The 3" King is listed at 28oz. I can tell you that the King feels absolutely miniature next to my 4" NY-1 K, since I just shot them side-by-side earlier this week. I really like the new Colts.

If I was a betting man, I’d guess the specs on the 4.2" to be 32.5-33oz when they come out. Time will tell.

Do you have any insight regarding how the 3" King Cobra compares to the 3" SP101, size wise?

Totem Polar
08-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Do you have any insight regarding how the 3" King Cobra compares to the 3" SP101, size wise?

Not directly. I do know that the 2" night guard fits in my 2 1/4" SP101 summer special perfectly. I suspect that they (3" v 3 1/16") are very similar, save for both the trigger reach (stretched rear frame), and the OEM rubber grips being longer/larger on the Colt. Part of why I like it: K-frame shootability, with SP size. It’s a darn compelling package. JMO.

Lester Polfus
08-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Not directly. I do know that the 2" night guard fits in my 2 1/4" SP101 summer special perfectly. I suspect that they (3" v 3 1/16") are very similar, save for both the trigger reach (stretched rear frame), and the OEM rubber grips being longer/larger on the Colt. Part of why I like it: K-frame shootability, with SP size. It’s a darn compelling package. JMO.

Thanks for that. That's kind of what I expected. It turns into a real list of pros and cons. The SP101 has an established history and better aftermarket support, while with the Colt you're getting an extra round and I would imagine a better trigger out of the box.

The only real hole in my gun battery is a small-ish .357 with a 3" or shorter barrel. I think I would get quite a bit of use out of that.

The 4" King Cobra target is tempting as well.

Trooper224
08-22-2019, 01:46 PM
I see myself making a choice between this and a 4" 686 or GP100 somewhere down the line.

Crossing my fingers for a 5" version.

The current King Cobra continues to be a much prettier gun than the previous version.

We'll have to disagree on that. This thing is as ugly as an old Dan Wesson.

Stephanie B
08-22-2019, 08:34 PM
Colt's catalog page (https://www.colt.com/detail-page/clt-kng-cobra-trgt-357-da-425) for the King Cobra Target. They don't give a weight.

muzzleblast
08-22-2019, 08:52 PM
I've been a Colt wheelgun fan for a long time...

https://i.imgur.com/GePPWVq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KNrkk8R.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mNxsQeK.jpg

I am happy to see Colt back in the game! Of course, I love some S&W and Ruger revolvers, too. :)

Salamander
08-22-2019, 10:25 PM

Very similar. Larger trigger guard on the King Cobra, otherwise not a whole lot different in size.

I just picked this Colt up yesterday so still getting a feel for it. Even though this particular SP-101 ( a 327 federal magnum version) has a Wilson Combat spring kit in it, the near out of the box Colt trigger is better.

BillSWPA
08-22-2019, 11:29 PM
I am also a fan of Colt revolvers and am happy to see them being made. However, there was a reason they disappeared in the first place, and I hope that this venture works out for them despite that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
08-22-2019, 11:55 PM
The SP101 has an established history and better aftermarket support, while with the Colt you're getting an extra round and I would imagine a better trigger out of the box.

The only real hole in my gun battery is a small-ish .357 with a 3" or shorter barrel. I think I would get quite a bit of use out of that.

Pretty much. Colt trigger is most def nicer out of the box; I also find the sights to be better. But you’ve got a grip on the pro/con issue.

Stephanie B
08-23-2019, 08:46 AM
Colt is making me drool with want. A 3" .357 that would seem to be more concealable than a 3" K-frame? A 4" with target sights?

I might have to quit retirement......

Alpha Sierra
08-23-2019, 09:10 AM
FFS, nobody gonna do pics? Used to be some standards around here...just sayin.

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41571&d=1566491814

Jenkies Scoobie, those are some yuge pics!

Me likey

Zeke38
08-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Yeah I have to agree with Stephanie B, I may have to go back to work to purchase a 3" KC as it just outshines my 3" SP in so many ways. My 2017 is an "old man" CC gun and I love it for it shoots POA/POI with several different loads. Both the J frames and the SPs require Kentucky windage. The trigger and type of sights, far outclass the Ruger. 6th round is a bonus. And the single action option, my K6 doesn't have.

I'll stop I'm just repeating all that others have noted, on this forum. As my dear old sainted Mama used to say: "If there is a will, there is a way, to buy a KC."

Trooper224
08-23-2019, 10:57 AM
We'll have to disagree on that. This thing is as ugly as an old Dan Wesson.

I have to revise my previous statement: if Colt got drunk and banged Rossi in a dive bar shitter, this would be the result.

Totem Polar
08-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Over the course of my adult life, I‘ve owned some revolvers.

I’ll just observe that the King Cobra 3" is my current favorite. FWIW.

At least, until the rimfire snake comes out...

:cool:

PS:

I have to revise my previous statement: if Colt got drunk and banged Rossi in a dive bar shitter, this would be the result.

Yeah, this one {4" target} somehow lacks the laconic hotness of the Night, 3" King, and King carry.

Damn good thing they left the OEM rubber off this iteration—that would have been pretty far into"Rossi clone" territory, IMHO.

Baldanders
08-23-2019, 06:05 PM

Ok, I admit I am biased on everything related to the old King Cobras, because I remember the scorn all the old guys heaped on them at the LNGS when they were a new thing. No one wanted one of those over a Smith or a Ruger. My judgment on aesthetics may be off.

At least it doesn't look like Colt banged a Windicator. Or an RG.

Lester Polfus
08-23-2019, 07:56 PM
I have to admit that the grips seem to belong on a different, larger gun, but I suspect that once you got your hands on it, you might forget any cosmetic imperfections because of how good it feels.

Trooper224
08-23-2019, 10:57 PM
Ok, I admit I am biased on everything related to the old King Cobras, because I remember the scorn all the old guys heaped on them at the LNGS when they were a new thing. No one wanted one of those over a Smith or a Ruger. My judgment on aesthetics may be off.

At least it doesn't look like Colt banged a Windicator. Or an RG.

I owned one of the originals and thought it was an attractive and solid piece. The prices they command today are crazy stupid, but that's no reflection on the guns utility.

Salamander
08-24-2019, 07:33 PM
I have only a few rounds (less than 20) through the new 3" KC so far, had RSO duty the other night, my backup was already doing me a favor by staying late to let me shoot (rules = two of us present to shoot at that range) so didn't want to keep him too long. I'll wring it out more thoroughly in the next few days. Early impressions:

- Agree that the size is near ideal;
- Although the KC is allegedly an ounce heavier than the 3" SP-101, the KC balances better in my hand and as a result feels lighter than it is;
- The cylinder release was a bit tight at first but has already loosened up and is already smooth;
- As stated earlier, the trigger is really nice. Light, smooth, a bit of stacking at the very end but nothing that concerns me;
- I wish Colt had made that rear sight trough a little deeper. I'm sure they work fine for young eyes, mine are no longer young and at first I found myself not nesting the front sight deeply enough in there and shooting a bit high. The brass bead front is great in good light, of course shooting ranges are notorious for not having good light (???);
- This one is specific to my hands, but I rarely do well with narrow grips and these are on the narrow side. Pretty sure it will shoot better for me after I order something a little wider;
- The plus on the factory grips is that 38 sp in an HKS DS speedloader slides right in there. haven't tried 357 yet, the extra length may make that a tight fit., fits nicely.
- As stated in a couple of reviews, the trigger is a bit narrow. Not an issue for most uses, might get a little unpleasant after a few hundred rounds pressing on that same spot on the finger;
- Ejection is fine with both 38 and 357 as long as one is assertive on the ejection rod.

ETA: Just tried 357 135gr short barrel Gold Dot in the DS speedloader, it still loads but as expected is a tight fit and just barely makes it in there. A little better with 140gr Barnes XPB. Neither is as fast and slick as with 38's.

Totem Polar
08-24-2019, 08:09 PM
That’s a good summary. Salamander

JonInWA
08-25-2019, 09:04 AM
I am still vary wary of the durability of these and their 3" brethren, as no one has given a satisfactory answer as to the material composition and treatment of the fire control components on these revolvers. On the previous MK V, King Cobra, etc. Colt revolvers, these components were merely surface hardened, and were incapable of receiving any action work other than by spring replacement due to the relatively thin surface hardening.

The two recent 3" examples that I've handled did have excellent out-of-the-box trigggerpulls, but the potential fragility and limited lifespan of these revolvers remains a critical concern for me, as well as their relatively high price. Until there are satisfactory answers and sufficient fielding and use, I'll let others be the beta testers, and I'll remain firmly in the Ruger camp.

Best, Jon

Lester Polfus
08-25-2019, 10:45 AM
I am still vary wary of the durability of these and their 3" brethren, as no one has given a satisfactory answer as to the material composition and treatment of the fire control components on these revolvers. On the previous MK V, King Cobra, etc. Colt revolvers, these components were merely surface hardened, and were incapable of receiving any action work other than by spring replacement due to the relatively thin surface hardening.

The two recent 3" examples that I've handled did have excellent out-of-the-box trigggerpulls, but the potential fragility and limited lifespan of these revolvers remains a critical concern for me, as well as their relatively high price. Until there are satisfactory answers and sufficient fielding and use, I'll let others be the beta testers, and I'll remain firmly in the Ruger camp.

Best, Jon

After some mulling, I came to pretty much that same conclusion.

Alpha Sierra
08-25-2019, 04:20 PM
I am still vary wary of the durability of these and their 3" brethren, as no one has given a satisfactory answer as to the material composition and treatment of the fire control components on these revolvers.

If you were given it, what are your professional credentials to evaluate that information?

TheNewbie
08-25-2019, 05:24 PM
If you were given it, what are your professional credentials to evaluate that information?

I imagine his years of first hand experience shooting guns. Jon is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Salamander
08-25-2019, 06:25 PM

Best, Jon

That's why it's not going into my regular carry rotation yet. Too early, too many unknowns. A thousand rounds at the range later, and some future input from others on this forum, and we'll see.

I'm curious about the material and manufacturing also. The finish is unlike anything I've seen before, looks almost like a semi-metallic paint job but it isn't, it's just stainless steel. Seems to be hard enough that there isn't any wear showing on the cylinder after a fair amount of dry fire, and the top strap is robust. How will it handle occasional heavy magnum loads in a woods gun role? Too soon to know.

I bought one because I want to encourage revolver innovation and choices. A good trigger and no lock in a modern revolver, what a concept... and so far the QA/QC appears to be better than the competition, based on a still small sample size.

OlongJohnson
08-26-2019, 11:04 AM
Anyone else notice the profile on the backstrap of the grips? They look like overall pretty much like some Jordan Troopers in the pics posted earlier.

Lester Polfus
08-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Anyone else notice the profile on the backstrap of the grips? They look like overall pretty much like some Jordan Troopers in the pics posted earlier.

I did!

Inkwell 41
10-05-2019, 05:35 PM
Wandering around a local gunshow today and spotted a King Cobra Target. Price was above retail, so it didn't come home with me. Didn't care for the grip shape, it was awkwardly wide, side to side, in the mid section and wasn't comfortable in my hand. A Night Cobra and 3" King Cobra were both on the table and the grips, G10 VZ's on the night and rubber on the King, both felt better. Hopefully , the aftermarket will pick up on the new model.

Scal
10-05-2019, 07:41 PM
Colt updated their website, it’s giving the weight as 36oz.