PDA

View Full Version : It's the video games

Glenn E. Meyer
08-19-2019, 01:25 PM
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/8/5/20755092/gun-shooting-video-game-chart

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/08/how-video-games-license-guns/596296/

Two stories about video games and crime/rampages, etc.

The evidence that video games are causal in crime/rampages is very weak as pointed out. The literature reviews are pretty clear about that. One problem is that the gun rights world tried to blame the games to shift emphasis from the guns themselves. That doesn't work but the NRA tried it. Folks also tried general mental illness and autism. That didn't work and had the risk of using many disorders to take out many, many gun owners with a link being demonstrated.

Guerrero
08-19-2019, 02:12 PM
I think it's the hip-hop music.

I noticed on the Vox chart that they only have "violent gun deaths", not all violent deaths.

Casual Friday
08-19-2019, 02:46 PM
I don't blame video games for mass shooters, but I think there are some kids who shouldn't play violent video games, and that they could be one of many things that might lead some kids to be violent, but without parents being willing to monitor and restrict what their kids are exposed to based on maturity level and other factors, there's not much to be done about it. Getting Uncle Sugar involved ain't the answer either.

I don't believe that all mass shooters are mentally ill either. I think it's entirely possible that some people are just evil and know the consequences of their actions will be very painful for people.

snow white
08-19-2019, 03:31 PM
I think violent video games are actually a good and healthy outlet to vent your anger if thats the way you choose to do it. nothing feels quire so good as just going postal in a GTA game. same goes for music, loud fast or just violent music is an amazing way to filter or deal with your "not so nice" emotions and thoughts. keeping that shit inside is no good for anybody man.

Artemas2
08-19-2019, 03:54 PM
If video games make us violent then South Korea will be a super power once drone tech is fully weaponized

https://youtu.be/YbpCLqryN-Q

Sal Picante
08-19-2019, 04:09 PM
If video games make us violent then South Korea will be a super power once drone tech is fully weaponized

https://youtu.be/YbpCLqryN-Q

I remember seeing something similar a while ago and two colleagues were freaking out about one dudes APM...

It's basically speed-tracking the observe-orient and action phase in a way...

So cool

Trukinjp13
08-19-2019, 05:34 PM
Yup. It’s the video games. At any point me and every friend I grew up with who played Contra and Doom are bound to slaughter every one around us.

The spoon has made me a fat ass.

My cellphone has made me ignorant to the world.

My truck has made me lazy.

The liquor made me a mean bastard.

Boxing has made me violent.

WE ARE WHO WE ARE. What we do with and how certain things affect us are directly related to how our brain is wired. Nothing makes us do anything. We have these tendencies inside us. Some help them come to the surface but they did not manufacture thoughts in our heads. I am sick and tired of blaming inanimate objects for a HUMAN problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambo
08-19-2019, 05:38 PM
There were no video games when I was a kid, so we mowed down imaginary Japs, Krauts, and Indians.

blues
08-19-2019, 05:43 PM
There were no video games when I was a kid, so we mowed down imaginary Japs, Krauts, and Indians.

Sometimes grandpa got in the act and got the drop on me...

OlongJohnson
08-19-2019, 09:26 PM
same goes for music, loud fast or just violent music is an amazing way to filter or deal with your "not so nice" emotions and thoughts. keeping that shit inside is no good for anybody man.

I actually kinda wonder about this. The popular music that's in distribution for kids and teenagers has consisted of zero percent testosterone for at least the last 15 years. When I was in my angsty early teen years, there was GNR, Metallica, the Crue, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc. They seriously helped. Still do.

snow white
08-19-2019, 09:57 PM
I actually kinda wonder about this. The popular music that's in distribution for kids and teenagers has consisted of zero percent testosterone for at least the last 15 years. When I was in my angsty early teen years, there was GNR, Metallica, the Crue, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc. They seriously helped. Still do.

I listen to a wide range of music but the music I listen to most and am the most fond of is metal, thrash, doom, sludge, black you name it. I go to shows and hang out with allot of people in that "culture". I gotta say I have never met a nicer and more emotionally stable group of people than i have in the metal community. I understand there are always shit-birds but as a whole the metal community is fucking solid. funny enough there are allot of similarities in personality between those who enjoy metal and those who listen to allot of classical symphonic music. you are correct tho, popular music is pretty damn vanilla now a days. im going to look down my nose and raise my pinky for a sec here and say if the mainstream popular music is the only music you listen to than you might not be a big music fan, and its probably not the medium that speaks to you to provide your emotional outlet anyway.

OlongJohnson
08-19-2019, 10:19 PM
I listen to a wide range of music but the music I listen to most and am the most fond of is metal, thrash, doom, sludge, black you name it. I go to shows and hang out with allot of people in that "culture". I gotta say I have never met a nicer and more emotionally stable group of people than i have in the metal community. I understand there are always shit-birds but as a whole the metal community is fucking solid. funny enough there are allot of similarities in personality between those who enjoy metal and those who listen to allot of classical symphonic music.

Totally. Metal heads also tend to be above average intelligence. Some are f'ing brilliant.

I want to get my godson into metal when he's a little older.

im going to look down my nose and raise my pinky for a sec here and say if the mainstream popular music is the only music you listen to than you might not be a big music fan, and its probably not the medium that speaks to you to provide your emotional outlet anyway.

I don't listen to it much, it's just the stuff I hear on the radio in stores, restaurants, and when trying to find something to listen to in a rental car.

At home, it's usually Pandora; I appreciate the variety I'd never find just digging on my own. I have stations for anything but country, pretty much.

snow white
08-19-2019, 10:27 PM
I don't listen to it much, it's just the stuff I hear on the radio in stores, restaurants, and when trying to find something to listen to in a rental car.

At home, it's usually Pandora; I appreciate the variety I'd never find just digging on my own. I have stations for anything but country, pretty much.

i was using the universal you, not talking about you specifically, I dont want to sound like a dick lol

OlongJohnson
08-19-2019, 10:29 PM
i was using the universal you, not talking about you specifically, I dont want to sound like a dick lol

Too late. Dick.

Yung
08-20-2019, 01:27 AM
The popular music that's in distribution for kids and teenagers has consisted of zero percent testosterone for at least the last 15 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC7ZqkV1_yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCLAgxXH6NI

For the record, I am not an advocate for any particular genre, as I do not listen to music when driving, at home, or at work.

At least one individual has remarked that I must be mentally ill when disclosing that.

olstyn
08-20-2019, 06:20 AM
Yup. It’s the video games. At any point me and every friend I grew up with who played Contra and Doom are bound to slaughter every one around us.

Doom is small potatoes compared to the FAR more realistic games that came afterward. I spent most of college and quite a few years afterward playing a TON of Counter-Strike, and yet somehow I've managed to avoid going on a killing spree. :rolleyes:

Even if any given piece of media can be considered to be an influence, I have a very hard time believing that an individual who would not otherwise commit mass violence would be "pushed over the edge" by a video game, movie or song.