PDA

View Full Version : Free shipping!

Darth_Uno
08-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Or, you get what you pay for.

My Brownells order will be here Friday. That’s 6 days from now. Amazon got me spoiled, ain’t nobody got time to wait six days for their parts.

5pins
08-17-2019, 07:07 AM
The shipping may be free but they are no hurry getting it to you. Now I'm off to Brownells to buy a magazine.

Bigghoss
08-17-2019, 07:15 AM
https://youtu.be/uMyCa35_mOg

camsdaddy
08-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Or, you get what you pay for.

My Brownells order will be here Friday. That’s 6 days from now. Amazon got me spoiled, ain’t nobody got time to wait six days for their parts.

I agree Amazon has a spoiled. Twenty years ago if you ordered something you didnt get over night, you didnt get tracking. If you ordered something it just showed up. I remember ordering things that said 4-6 weeks.

The only thing worse than slow shipping is paying for it. I have found Brownells normally ships smaller stuff USPS. I find it gets to my house normally a day sooner than even the tracking states.

Darth_Uno
08-17-2019, 08:44 AM
I agree Amazon has a spoiled. Twenty years ago if you ordered something you didnt get over night, you didnt get tracking. If you ordered something it just showed up. I remember ordering things that said 4-6 weeks.

The only thing worse than slow shipping is paying for it. I have found Brownells normally ships smaller stuff USPS. I find it gets to my house normally a day sooner than even the tracking states.

It wasn’t that long ago that if you didn’t pay extra for tracking, you just didn’t get it.

I used to buy/sell/trade quite a bit on a sporting goods (baseball gear) forum, the common practice there was “$X shipped, add $10 for insurance and tracking”. If you declined, you took your chances. And if they declined to add insurance and tracking and it didn’t show up, you just didn’t know where it was.

Yung
08-17-2019, 09:00 AM
I remember ordering things that said 4-6 weeks.

The only thing worse than slow shipping is paying for it.

I hear a lot of older machinist say they wish Enco didn't get bought out by McMaster.

mtnbkr
08-17-2019, 12:04 PM
I remember ordering stuff as a kid in high school. Find the item in the catalog, fill out the PAPER order form. Get your parents to write a check or pick up a money order. Send the paper order form and payment to the vendor.

Wait:
1 week for the order to arrive
1+ weeks for order processing
1 week or more for return shipping

I have to remind myself of this when I get annoyed at some vendor taking a week to get my stuff to me after I place an online order. Amazon has ruined us all.

Chris

EricP
08-17-2019, 03:19 PM

I hear a lot of older machinist say they wish Enco didn't get bought out by McMaster.

Enco was bought by MSC. I did appreciate that my Enco account was transferred to MSC and received a 30% discount off of MSC’s prices.

beenalongtime
08-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Compare NOT having a Prime account to Brownell's free shipping. I can speed things up a bit, by having it delivered to a commercial location (speeds up by two days, typically).

Worse yet, ordering something NOT in stock currently (waited two months for metric punches, as no one carries them locally).

Casual Friday
08-17-2019, 05:11 PM
You guys need to get with the times. Brownell's has their own version of Prime.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/store/edge.aspx

Darth_Uno
08-17-2019, 07:59 PM

Yes and I’m tempted to get it. Not like I haven’t pissed away $50 and had a whole lot less to show for it.

I use Prime for work a lot, getting some of those items in 2 days keeps everything running smooth. For gun stuff I can usually wait...it’s just painfully slow once the wait starts.

Casual Friday
08-17-2019, 08:55 PM
Yes and I’m tempted to get it. Not like I haven’t pissed away $50 and had a whole lot less to show for it.

I use Prime for work a lot, getting some of those items in 2 days keeps everything running smooth. For gun stuff I can usually wait...it’s just painfully slow once the wait starts.

It's well worth it to me. I order a lot of stuff from Brownell's.

Drang
08-17-2019, 09:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LHlJSBkg0

5pins
08-18-2019, 07:04 AM
Speaking of free shipping its on right now. Unfortunately, the one thing need is out of stock.

Shoresy
08-18-2019, 08:30 AM
Speaking of free shipping its on right now. Unfortunately, the one thing need is out of stock.

IIRC if you backorder with a coupon code (e.g. Free shipping) Brownells will honor it when the item comes back in stock.

Bucky
08-18-2019, 08:47 AM

IIRC if you backorder with a coupon code (e.g. Free shipping) Brownells will honor it when the item comes back in stock.

This has been my experience, and I’ve done this often. In fact most recently, my flat mainspring housing I ordered for my 92 Compact finally came. I had forgotten I ordered it. :)

LOKNLOD
08-18-2019, 09:09 AM
I remember ordering stuff as a kid in high school. Find the item in the catalog, fill out the PAPER order form. Get your parents to write a check or pick up a money order. Send the paper order form and payment to the vendor.

Wait:

I have to remind myself of this when I get annoyed at some vendor taking a week to get my stuff to me after I place an online order. Amazon has ruined us all.

Chris

This was my childhood. New Bass Pro catalog... I would find some fishing gizmo I “needed”. 1 picture, 1 angle, 1 color variant shown. Hope for the best. Save up money. Carefully fill out that form. Don’t forget the color code on the end of the item number. Get dad to right a check, give him my money. Mail it off, and exactly 1.2 eternities later, it would show up. The YouTube unboxings of today ain’t got nothing on us back then.

5pins
08-18-2019, 09:33 AM

This has been my experience, and I’ve done this often. In fact most recently, my flat mainspring housing I ordered for my 92 Compact finally came. I had forgotten I ordered it. :)

I may do that if I cant find to someplace else. I don't partially want to wait for free shipping and backorder.

Gater
08-18-2019, 10:40 AM
I'm highly annoyed by shipping charges equal to or more than the cost of a small part I need. I've been trying to update another thread when Brownells offers free shipping without a minimum purchase, which they do fairly often (they do not always send email notifications). It's a good deal, and they have been a pretty solid company in my experience. They apply it to backordered items, as well. However, lately they have started excluding Glock brand stuff from special offers, including the free shipping.

AKDoug
08-19-2019, 02:13 AM

Wait:

Chris I dang near had my own sales lady at Dennis Kirk back in the 80's, one of them recognized my voice.. Two dirt bikes and a Honda ATC to keep running. They'd slap a sticker on tires and mail them to our post office. None of that "we don't ship to Alaska" bullshit either. I'd just give them my mom's credit card over the phone, and then she owned me for weeks. Cut and split a lot of firewood for those parts.

willie
08-19-2019, 02:42 AM
And get a curio license and enjoy dealer prices from Brownell's.

mmc45414
09-08-2019, 08:02 AM

Started a thread, I searched and didn't see much prior discussion:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38446-Just-took-the-plunge-for-Brownells-Edge&p=926880&viewfull=1#post926880

Borderland
09-09-2019, 02:36 PM
I just did a search looking for CCI SV 22 LR.

I found a site that will ship 5K free and the price beat Brownells even if they shipped it free. Ordered it.

But a lot of people will use Brownells just to save time searching the internet for the best deal. We have a Prime account with Amazon because of that.

RevolverRob
09-09-2019, 02:57 PM
I used the M8Y code someone suggested in a thread a couple of days ago. $20 off an order of $200+ with free shipping, that was 3-5 day shipping as opposed to the 5-7 day free shipping.

Just saying if you look for the codes they generally give you free 3-5 day shipping. I believe they have one going right now for $99+ that is free shipping and 10% off.

RevolverRob
09-10-2019, 07:33 PM
I submitted my Brownells order on Sunday morning about 10am order arrived this afternoon before 4pm.

3-5 business day shipping is what I was quoted. It wasn't even two full business days from when I ordered. Brownells is awesome.

snow white
09-10-2019, 08:06 PM
I ordered a law folder from them on the 5th and it says I wont get it in until the 16th, they are apparently testing out their new delivery turtle system. yes amazon has ruined me as well.