PDA

View Full Version : What are you wearing under your vest?

BehindBlueI's
08-15-2019, 06:42 PM
For years I've been fine with generic "under armor" type wicking shirts, but for some reason I'm getting the torso equivalent of monkey-butt this year. Any cool new hi-tek ultra under-shirts out there that are cooler and don't itch? Or should I just start rolling in a big pile of Gold Bond before getting dressed?

Gray222
08-15-2019, 07:06 PM
Duluth thin breathable summer shirts.

If the weather is over 105 I don't wear a shirt and just wash the carrier.

zuplex
08-15-2019, 07:51 PM
Didn’t Mike Seeklander recommend an ice block thing that fit behind the vest?

gtmtnbiker98
08-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Didn’t Mike Seeklander recommend an ice block thing that fit behind the vest?I'm just wearing cotton t-shirts and suffering. Febreeze is my friend.

WobblyPossum
08-15-2019, 08:00 PM
I used to wear the Walmart Starter brand moisture wicking t-shirts.

Vista461
08-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Mostly either cotton T-shirts or under armour heat gear shirts, the real soft ones not usually the silky type ones, though I have a couple of those.

Jason M
08-15-2019, 08:22 PM
I wear the UA compression shirts (https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-HeatGear-Compression-T-Shirt/dp/B00KHTM2VY/ref=sr_1_4?crid=27Q10LFFHXJGU&keywords=under+armour+compression+shirt+men&qid=1566250964&s=gateway&sprefix=Under+armor+c%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-4). They are just the most comfortable under the armor. (no pun intended. Yes, Blues I channeling your inner punster). The trick to keeping them and the carrier clean is washing with this stuff in the rinse cycle. Eliminates monkey torso.

Lysol laundry sanitizer (https://amzn.to/31MxqGG)

TheNewbie
08-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Did 7 miles of foot patrol in my gear and vest the other day. Weather approaching 100 degrees or more.

Under my vest was likely some random old navy, jc penny, walmart black or blue cheap shirt. Of course I always bring a change of clothes to work and when I get a chance, I at least switch my shirt out.

blues
08-15-2019, 08:26 PM
I wear the UA compression shirts. They are just the most comfortable under the armor. (no pun intended. Yes, Blues I channeling your inner punster). The trick to keeping them and the carrier clean is washing with this stuff in the rinse cycle. Eliminates monkey torso.

https://www.lysol.com/products/laundry/lysol-laundry-sanitizer/

I forgive you. I wear the UA sleeveless compression shirts (for CCW) but I no longer wear body armor. The Heat Gear and Charged Cotton Shirts from UA would be pretty good as well, imho.

Jason M
08-15-2019, 08:28 PM
I forgive you. I wear the UA sleeveless compression shirts (for CCW) but I no longer wear body armor. The Heat Gear and Charged Cotton Shirts from UA would be pretty good as well, imho.

It more about the compression than the actual material. Lets the armor sort of move with me rather than bunch up the undershirt like cotton shirts tend to.

That Lysol product is the bitch kitty. Makes the shirts and armor carrier stink resistant

blues
08-15-2019, 08:30 PM
It more about the compression than the actual material. Lets the armor sort of move with me rather than bunch up the undershirt like cotton shirts tend to.

Yep. I'd have liked having such back in the day.

BehindBlueI's
08-15-2019, 08:30 PM
I took my cumberband strap off. Not sure why the vest even has that, none of my previous ones did. I think that might be a source of a lot of the issue.

Jason M
08-15-2019, 08:35 PM
I took my cumberband strap off. Not sure why the vest even has that, none of my previous ones did. I think that might be a source of a lot of the issue.

I think armor fit is like an AIWB fit. Everyone is different. I use the cummerbund as it allows the armor to stay put which having the panel straps a little looser. I think, as a department, we run about 50/50 with the use of them. We have the new super-duper PB armor with the wiz-bang carrier. It has all sorts of adjustment. And...seems to last longer and stink less than previous generations of carriers. FWIW, these are concealed vests not external carriers.

Gray222
08-15-2019, 08:45 PM
All those using UA undershirts...they have a proven history of sticking to skin when they begin to melt...

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf08512348/pdf08512348dpi72.pdf

Areas of both the polypropylene
and Under Armour T-shirts had melted. Melting materials
may stick to the skin, aggravating burn injuries.

The tests showed burn injury was predicted on a
high percentage of the mannequin’s surface (figure 9).
Polypropylene had the lowest predicted percent of burn
injury, while Under Armour and silk fared the worst.
Significant portions of the Under Armour and polypropylene
garments melted during the radiant exposure tests (figures 10
and 11), as they had during the flame engulfment tests.

The Missoula Technology and
Development Center worked with the University of Alberta’s Flash Fire Facility to test undergarments made of cotton or
wool (both approved for firefighters) and silk, polyester, polypropylene, and Under Armour. Tests showed that firefighters
wearing synthetic undergarments would be more likely to suffer burn injuries because the synthetic materials might melt and
stick to their skin. The 100-percent cotton and 100-percent wool undergarments did not ignite, melt, or char during testing.

Thought this was public knowledge already, no one I work with uses UA, at all.

As far as Duluth shirts...I use their armachillo cooling v-neck: https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-armachillo-cooling-v-neck-undershirt-94256.html?dwvar_94256_color=LTG&cgid=mens-shirts-t-shirts, and their buck naked tank top: https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-buck-naked-performance-tank-undershirt-94248.html?dwvar_94248_color=WHI#q=tank%20top&prefn1=gender&prefv1=Men&selectedRef=gender&start=1

These are the best two I've used so far. In the winters I use their heavier cotton shirts.

Poconnor
08-15-2019, 08:59 PM
I just used regular T-shirt’s but I did keep a bottle of corn starch baby power handy. I would carefully pour it inside my t shirt during my shifts. Don’t be afraid to bring extra T-shirt’s to change into

scjbash
08-15-2019, 09:04 PM
All those using UA undershirts...they have a proven history of sticking to skin when they begin to melt...

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf08512348/pdf08512348dpi72.pdf

Thought this was public knowledge already, no one I work with uses UA, at all.

Didn't Jared Reston have some sort of weird, albeit very minor, wound caused by a UA type shirt doing something funky behind the vest where it was shot?

andre3k
08-15-2019, 09:13 PM
I gave up trying to find some magical material to wear under my west. The issue is air circulation. My dept now allows us to wear plate carriers and that's been the best solution for me. The carriers fit looser and allow air to circulate around your shirt. You still get sweaty but it's not a bad as wearing soft body armor underneath a uniform shit.

During the summer months I still enjoy relaxing in the beer cooler at the local convenience store. :cool:

BK14
08-15-2019, 09:58 PM
My dept now allows us to wear plate carriers and that's been the best solution for me.

Plate carriers as in outer soft armor carriers, or legitimate plate carriers? Do you guys have a concern with the reduced coverage?

I currently wear one of the under armor shirts. Not the heat gear shirt, but the slightly thicker one. The thing that’s saved me is a 5.11 Rapid Performance Polo. It’s like a combat shirt concept of a lightweight body, with normal ish sleeves.

I’m on a Bike Unit in AZ, so in the summer we’re seeing some pretty high heats. The combination of a UA shirt, lightweight body of the polo, and the mesh padding on my Velocity Systems carrier have made it semi-bearable.

Gray222
08-15-2019, 11:26 PM
Didn't Jared Reston have some sort of weird, albeit very minor, wound caused by a UA type shirt doing something funky behind the vest where it was shot?

No idea just putting it out there

If you have not done so yet seriously look at Duluth

BehindBlueI's
08-16-2019, 10:22 AM
I don't know, it's not even been that hot. I asked my wife if she changed laundry detergent, I thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction to something or other. I'll take a look at some of the suggestions in the thread. I guess for now it's two shirts a shift and Gold Bond.

I do keep my top side strap pretty tight as my BUG is velcro'd under it.

BK14
08-16-2019, 11:46 AM
I’ve also gotten random eczema from humidity/heat under the vest. If it keeps going, consider going to the dermatologist. They can normally give you something for flare-ups.

MD7305
08-16-2019, 11:56 AM
I've been using Hanes XTemp shirts (https://amzn.to/2Zj0BDu) for the last few years and I like them ok. They are very thin, have a smooth texture, and aren't terribly expensive. They also don't seem to bunch up under my vest like a normal cotton t-shirt. I think the shirts would likely breath well but the panels on my vest are like a sealing barrier. Even when these shirts get wet they're still fairly comfortable through a 12 hour shift. I've considered trying out a "Tac Vent" under my vest but I can't help thinking it looks very uncomfortable.

kobuksonhwacha
08-16-2019, 02:47 PM
I just do everything Gorillafritz recommends here https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/no-more-stinky-body-armor

andre3k
08-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Plate carriers as in outer soft armor carriers, or legitimate plate carriers? Do you guys have a concern with the reduced coverage?

First Spear plate carriers with level III+ plates but we have the option to run this (https://www.first-spear.com/platforms/vests/crime-suppression-vest) as well.

There's soft armor on the cummerbund but its does provide less coverage than a normal vest like most officers wear.

I like running plates full time better. Putting on a plate carrier over a normal police uniform with soft body armor was hell. You could barely fit into your vehicle and it was difficult to drive.

TGS
08-16-2019, 04:22 PM
I wear the Mr. Davis t-shirts under my armor. Got the recommendation from Duke. Love'em. Was recently in Kansas and their 100*+ head index wearing armor all day, no complaints.

https://mrdavis.com/

Erick Gelhaus
08-16-2019, 11:30 PM
Under Armor or Champion's C9 or two different Duluth Trading shirts, one has the Buck Naked material while the other is closer to traditional undershirt material.

schaffer88
08-17-2019, 09:48 AM
I've been using Hanes XTemp shirts for the last few years and I like them ok. They are very thin, have a smooth texture, and aren't terribly expensive. They also don't seem to bunch up under my vest like a normal cotton t-shirt. I think the shirts would likely breath well but the panels on my vest are like a sealing barrier. Even when these shirts get wet they're still fairly comfortable through a 12 hour shift. I've considered trying out a "Tac Vent" under my vest but I can't help thinking it looks very uncomfortable.

I tried Tac Vent for a while, just under my front panel. I tried it between my carrier and my undershirt and inside the carrier. I never found it to be all that effective. The vest I'm issued has zero mesh on it which I think would help with the air flow and make the tac vent more effective.

Chuck Whitlock
08-17-2019, 12:57 PM
I used to use the cheap compression shirts available at Wal Mart when I wore navy blue uniforms.

When I went to the SO and tan uniform shirts, tan t-shirts were in short supply. I went with these:

https://www.rangerjoes.com/T-Shirt-Coolmax-P2598.aspx

I recently started using a Blauer Armorskin external carrier. We are required to wear regular uniform shirts with them, as the specialty shirts that pair with them are not authorized.

I were Duluth Buck Naked underwear with great results.

I've been pleased with the Gold Bond spray body powder. With regular powder, I read somewhere that cornstarch is superior to talcum.

We generally run 110-115 heat index in the summertime here, along with high humidity.

Rex G
08-17-2019, 02:09 PM
Ex Officio t-shirts. (https://amzn.to/2KXKBh0)

john c
08-18-2019, 07:07 PM
Try an external vest carrier in hot weather. You can unzip the sides and air yourself out when sitting in the car or in the office. This is a double plus if you can your whole vest off when report writing, etc.

TGS
08-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Try an external vest carrier in hot weather. You can unzip the sides and air yourself out when sitting in the car or in the office. This is a double plus if you can your whole vest off when report writing, etc.

Are external vests an option for you, BehindBlueI's?

Mas
08-18-2019, 08:08 PM
I and others have had great luck with cornstarch baby powder. Supposed to be nine times more absorbent than mineral based talc, and with no allergy issues.

BehindBlueI's
08-18-2019, 08:14 PM
Are external vests an option for you, BehindBlueI's?

Yeah, they are now authorized. Some guys really like them, but I haven't tried one yet.

BobM
08-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Yeah, they are now authorized. Some guys really like them, but I haven't tried one yet.

A third to one half of our guys are using them. A couple tried them and went back to the regular uniform. I've not tried one either, and I'm too close to retirement to be interested.

BehindBlueI's
08-18-2019, 09:19 PM
A third to one half of our guys are using them. A couple tried them and went back to the regular uniform. I've not tried one either, and I'm too close to retirement to be interested.

I think they look fine for certain folks. Others look like a popped can of biscuits. I also wear my vest so that it overlaps on the sides, so I think I'd have to get remeasured and get new panels to fit an exterior carrier. Maybe I misunderstand how they fit, though.

HCM
08-18-2019, 09:25 PM
I think they look fine for certain folks. Others look like a popped can of biscuits. I also wear my vest so that it overlaps on the sides, so I think I'd have to get remeasured and get new panels to fit an exterior carrier. Maybe I misunderstand how they fit, though.

They should fit just like your under shirt carrier rather than like an IBA/plate carrier.

BehindBlueI's
08-18-2019, 09:30 PM
They should fit just like your under shirt carrier rather than like an IBA/plate carrier.

I'll look into our approved version, then. I'm detailed to Homicide soon anyway, so won't be a pressing concern for a bit.

JR1572
08-18-2019, 09:42 PM
I work down in south Louisiana so y’all can all image how hot it is here. I’ve been been wearing an Academy brand (BCG) loose fit tech shirt under my armor. We have to wear our armor under our uniform shirts, and our uniforms are polyester and dark blue. It’s not comfortable at all in the summer.

Has anyone tried the inserts that go under the armor that allows air to flow through?

john c
08-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Others look like a popped can of biscuits.

I resemble that statement. ;)

At least more than I like to admit.

As others have mentioned, it fits your vest exactly the same as under your shirt. It's just an over-shirt. It's a great benefit for those of us in middle age. The ability to pop it off when report writing is worth it, alone. I'm going to explore attaching some of the items on my vest, like my radio, to it to get some weight off my belt. A couple buddies of mine have nothing on their belts except pistol and taser.

I've recently tried wearing "tactical" suspenders under my vest carrier to take some of the weight off. It works pretty well, and guys who have sciatica have mentioned it really helps.

BehindBlueI's
08-20-2019, 10:05 PM
I resemble that statement. ;)

At least more than I like to admit.

As others have mentioned, it fits your vest exactly the same as under your shirt. It's just an over-shirt. It's a great benefit for those of us in middle age. The ability to pop it off when report writing is worth it, alone. I'm going to explore attaching some of the items on my vest, like my radio, to it to get some weight off my belt. A couple buddies of mine have nothing on their belts except pistol and taser.

I've recently tried wearing "tactical" suspenders under my vest carrier to take some of the weight off. It works pretty well, and guys who have sciatica have mentioned it really helps.

Ours aren't the "tac vest" kind, they are vests that look like the uniform. You still have to wear all your stuff on your belt.

I did find a Under Armor Heat Gear shirt on clearance at Marshall's and wore it today with a liberal coating of Gold Bond. No itching, so that was a plus.

txdpd
08-21-2019, 07:31 AM
Has anyone tried the inserts that go under the armor that allows air to flow through?

The only one that really works is the Cool cop (https://www.coolcop.com/shop), they’ve gotten more expensive, but are worth it.

I washed and forgot to bring back my outer vest carrier yesterday, so I was back to wearing my vest under my shirt. With two extra layers of fabric under the vest, the outer carrier wasn’t any cooler out of the car. Not being able to take the vest off while eating lunch at the station was a different issue.

deputyG23
08-26-2019, 11:34 AM

That Lysol product is the bitch kitty. Makes the shirts and armor carrier stink resistant

Glad I saw this. Our new tan issue Class A shirts stink like hell after a hot day here in VA. The old brown ones didn't for some reason.

txdpd
08-26-2019, 01:21 PM
Glad I saw this. Our new tan issue Class A shirts stink like hell after a hot day here in VA. The old brown ones didn't for some reason.

If you’re going from a primarily cotton/wool blend to a synthetic, synthetic fabrics have a tendency to hold body oil, which is a perfect place for stinky bacteria to have an orgy on your clothing. Laundry detergent is geared towards cotton.

If they are really nasty you can soak them in a stripping solution of oxiclean and borax. That might destroy seen on patches and if there’s coatings on the fabric that might go too. For regular washing I like Chemical Guys microfiber wash (https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-CWS_201-Microfiber-Concentrate/dp/B001W91J8K/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=chemical+microfiber+wash&qid=1566843513&s=gateway&sr=8-3) it’s citrus based and designed to clean wax out of microfiber towels. Works great on straight synthetic fabrics, it won’t clean cotton.