PDA

View Full Version : PF's Hollywood "reboot"/remake thread

LittleLebowski
08-14-2019, 10:41 AM
I'll go first.

"The Hustle" a remake of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hustle_(film)

Guerrero
08-14-2019, 11:20 AM
"Airplane" a remake of "Zero Hour"

https://youtu.be/8-v2BHNBVCs

(Does that count? :D )

Guerrero
08-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Ok, obvious ones:

"The Magnificent Seven" (and "Battle Beyond the Stars") is a remake of "Seven Samurai"

"A Fistful of Dollars" is a remake of "Yojimbo"

NEPAKevin
08-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Ok, obvious ones:

"The Magnificent Seven" (and "Battle Beyond the Stars") is a remake of "Seven Samurai"

Last Man Standing, 1996 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Man_Standing_(1996_film))movie,was also based on Yojimbo.

Gadfly
08-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Ok, obvious ones:

Disney's "A Bug's life" is also the "Seven Samurai"

"Lion King" is "Hamlet"

Pocahontas/A Man Called Horse/Dances with Wolves/Avitar are all the same movie.

"Star Wars episode 4: a new hope" is "The Hidden Fortress"

Gadfly
08-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Apparently, Raiders if the Lost Ark stole quite a bit of it’s look from Secret of the Incas with Charleston Heston. The whole opening sequence from Raiders is an homage to that movie.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190814/ce005d883bf1b1828023f19c25bba806.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
08-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Pocahontas/A Man Called Horse/Dances with Wolves/Avitar are all the same movie.

There’s also Ferngully and The Last Samurai. I think I’m forgetting at least one.

Joe in PNG
08-14-2019, 01:08 PM
The 1982 "The Thing" was a name only remake of "The Thing From Another World".

Chance
08-14-2019, 01:11 PM
It seems like 50% of movies coming out are remakes. They're even re-making 'Home Alone'. I think in another 30 years that Hollywood is going to be remaking their remakes.

Gadfly
08-14-2019, 01:13 PM
There’s also Ferngully and The Last Samurai. I think I’m forgetting at least one.

Probably a lot more than one...

"Ten Things i hate About You" with Heath Ledger was "Taming of the shrew"
"She's All That" with Rachel Lee Cook is Pygmalion
"Easy A" with Emma Stone is "the Scarlet letter"
"She's the Man" was Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night"
'Clueless" was Jane Austen's "Emma"
"Cruel Intentions" was "Dangerous Liaisons"

Lots of teen movies translated from the classics the kids refused to read.
(I had a teen daughter in the 90's and had to sit through a lot of these.)

JSGlock34
08-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Heat is a remake of LA Takedown (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Takedown).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQTn0psH_bM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EqYkCsxzXc

Drang
08-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Probably a lot more than one...

"Ten Things i hate About You" with Heath Ledger was "Taming of the shrew"
"She's All That" with Rachel Lee Cook is Pygmalion
"Easy A" with Emma Stone is "the Scarlet letter"
"She's the Man" was Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night"
'Clueless" was Jane Austen's "Emma"
"Cruel Intentions" was "Dangerous Liaisons"

Lots of teen movies translated from the classics the kids refused to read.
(I had a teen daughter in the 90's and had to sit through a lot of these.)

To be fair, with many of these they were right up front about "X is a remake of Y".

JSGlock34
08-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Red Dragon is a remake of Manhunter.

archangel
08-15-2019, 09:54 AM
It seems like 50% of movies coming out are remakes. They're even re-making 'Home Alone'. I think in another 30 years that Hollywood is going to be remaking their remakes.

You really think the numbers are that low? :p

I can't remember the last time I saw Hollywood have an original idea. Everything is either a remake, reboot, re-imagining, sequel, prequel, or based on an existing book, comic book, play, TV show, musical, video game, amusement park ride, or true story.

Zincwarrior
08-15-2019, 10:18 AM
Clearly Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a remake of The Sound of Music...

They are remaking Midway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_7eN5iloyk

The Bounty was a remake of Mutiny on the Bounty which was a remake of...Mutiny on the Bounty.

archangel
08-15-2019, 10:20 AM
You really think the numbers are that low? :p

I can't remember the last time I saw Hollywood have an original idea. Everything is either a remake, reboot, re-imagining, sequel, prequel, or based on an existing book, comic book, play, TV show, musical, video game, amusement park ride, or true story.

Case in point - The 50 Highest grossing films ever:

Avengers: Endgame - Sequel, comic book
Titanic - Real event
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Sequel
Avengers: Infinity War - Sequel, comic book
Jurassic World - Sequel, book
The Avengers - Comic Book, sorta-sequel
Furious 7 - Sequel
Avengers: Age of Ultron - Sequel, comic book
Black Panther - Comic Book, sorta-sequel
The Lion King - Remake, Hamlet
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 - Sequel, book
Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Sequel
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Sequel, book
Frozen - Book, albeit pretty loosely based by the time the movie was finished
Beauty and the Beast - Remake, existing book / tale
Incredibles 2 - Sequel
The Fate of the Furious - Sequel
Iron Man 3 - Sequel, comic book
Minions - Sequel
Captain America: Civil War - Sequel, comic book
Aquaman - Comic Book
Captain Marvel - Comic Book, sorta-prequel
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Sequel, TV show, comic book
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Book
Skyfall - Sequel
Transformers: Age of Extinction - Sequel, TV show, comic book
Spider-Man: Far From Home - Sequel, comic book
The Dark Knight Rises - Sequel, comic book
Toy Story 3 - Sequel
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Sequel, amusement park ride
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Prequel
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Sequel, amusement park ride
Aladdin - Remake, existing book / tale
Despicable Me 3 - Sequel
Jurassic Park - Book
Finding Dory - Sequel
Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace - Prequel
Alice in Wonderland - Book
Zootopia - ... I think this might actually be an original story!
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Book
The Dark Knight - Sequel, comic book
Toy Story 4 -Sequel
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Book
Despicable Me 2 - Sequel
The Lion King - remake, based on Hamlet
The Jungle Book - remake, book
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Sequel, amusement park ride
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Sequel, book
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 - Sequel, book

(This is not to say that there aren't good, well made, enjoyable movies in there. But good =/= original.)

Totem Polar
08-15-2019, 10:38 AM
I think in another 30 years that Hollywood is going to be remaking their remakes.

Do you even "spiderman," bro?

;)

"Pan’s Labyrinth" is a variation of "the elfin knight," an old ballad that was the forerunner of songs like "Scarborough Fair" (Carthy or Simon/Garfunkle) and which was itself a variation of the folktale category ‘clever girl,’ as cataloged in the Aarne-Thompson-Uther index as type 875–a stand-alone motive found in folkloric traditions throughout the Indo-European languages. There really isn’t much new under the sun.

Too academic? :)

Lester Polfus
08-15-2019, 10:46 AM
Home work:

Sit down with a yellow legal pad, or if you're cool, with a new Scrivener project, and come up with a new project with a premise, theme, concept, hook, inciting incident, first plot point, first pinch point, second plot point, second pinch point and third plot point that are all original.

Go.

Totem Polar
08-15-2019, 10:54 AM
Home work:

Sit down with a yellow legal pad, or if you're cool, with a new Scrivener project, and come up with a new project with a premise, theme, concept, hook, inciting incident, first plot point, first pinch point, second plot point, second pinch point and third plot point that are all original.

Go.

All I got is a sequel to "Ferris Bueller’s Day Off," where he’s the POTUS, Mia Sara's character (Sloane) is the first lady and Cameron is the VP. They’re tying to ditch the Secret Service so Ferris and Sloane can have just one date night all by themselves. Hilarity and international drama ensues. I’m tellin’ ya, this one will be big for the Holiday season.

;)

Guerrero
08-15-2019, 11:10 AM
Home work:

Go.

Nope, can't do it. Anything we could come up with has already been done by Shakespeare.

rob_s
08-15-2019, 11:13 AM
A Star is Born (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Star_Is_Born_(2018_film))with Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga is at least the fourth remake of the story.

the 1937 original drama starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March
adapted in 1954 as a musical starring Judy Garland and James Mason
1976 remake 1976 starring Barbra Streisand & Kris Kristofferson

Gun Mutt
08-15-2019, 03:21 PM

I actually saw that when it aired on tv...gonna have to see if I can find it streaming somewhere.

AMC
08-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Never heard of LA Takedown before. Heat seems to be basically a scene for scene, line by line remake. Fascinating.

Zincwarrior
08-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Wow, Michael Mann wrote and directed both of them...
Per IMBD this is an intentional remake:

This was originally meant to be a pilot for a new television series, but it never materialized, so Michael Mann remade the movie into Heat (1995). However, eventually, Mann did create a series inspired by this, called Robbery Homicide Division (2002).
10 of 10 found this interesting | Share this
Michael Mann was glad he made L.A. Takedown (1989) because it helped to serve as a prototype for Heat (1995) and gave him the chance to see what worked and what didn't work, to play around with it, and to get deeper into it. He never planned on the TV film being a prototype, but it ended up being that way and it helped Mann to get "Heat" the way he wanted it.

JSGlock34
08-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Wow, Michael Mann wrote and directed both of them...

We touched a little on this in The Films of Michael Mann (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8201-The-Films-of-Michael-Mann) thread...Mann has been willing to return to prior projects a few times in his career. There is a lot of Thief in Heat as well...you can really see how Heat was built on the foundation of his earlier works (but most directly on LA Takedown). You also saw Mann return for the reboot of Miami Vice in 2006 (which I think has held up better than most gave it credit for when it was initially released).

Robbery Homicide Division was unfortunately cancelled before it found an audience; interestingly it starred Tom Sizemore, who was played one of the members of the bank robbery crew in Heat, as the lead detective. Really too bad - it had style.

Casual Friday
08-15-2019, 07:37 PM
Ok I'm just gonna say it. You're not a real Heat fan if you've never heard of LA Takedown or you didn't know it was the same movie.

JSGlock34
08-15-2019, 08:12 PM
Ok I'm just gonna say it. You're not a real Heat fan if you've never heard of LA Takedown or you didn't know it was the same movie.

I thought I was a real Heat fan...then I discovered this guy, who is obsessed.

One Heat Minute (https://oneheatminute.com) Podcast

RevolverRob
08-15-2019, 08:18 PM
Pretty much all movies are just retelling of stories and those are just retellings of fables.

If you dissect far enough anything is a “remake”, because they didn’t invent a new language to produce the film, and language is effectively a series of stolen grammar and borrowed words.

It’s the blatant ones that are the most annoying. Like seriously - can we stop with the fucking Spiderman reboots? I can only watch Peter Parker be bit by a radioactive spider so many times.

Whereas - to me the more interesting ones are the ones separated by decades. For instance The Fast and the Furious (2001) is actually a partial remake of The Fast and the Furious (1955). They don’t share much, except for illegal acts, being chased by the cops, and a final scenes that are almost the same, but with reversed endings.

JSGlock34
08-15-2019, 08:57 PM
So my avatar is Darwyn Cooke's rendering of the character Parker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_(Stark_novels_character)), who appeared in nearly 30 novels by Donald Westlake (under the pseudonym of Richard Stark), between 1962 and 2008. There are seven movies based on Parker novels, but only the final film, the eponymous Parker starring Jason Statham, actually used the name "Parker" for the main character, so most people don't realize that these are all about the same main character.

The first Parker novel, The Hunter, was released as Point Blank in 1967, starring Lee Marvin as "Walker". 22 years later it was remade as Payback, starring Mel Gibson as "Porter". As an aside, there are two versions of Payback, the theatrical version and the "Straight Up" Director's Cut that was originally filmed by Brian Helgeland before it was significantly recut and refilmed with a number of added scenes. The latter is much more faithful to the book.

Other "Parker" films include The Outfit, Slayground, and The Split.

Casual Friday
08-15-2019, 09:00 PM
I thought I was a real Heat fan...then I discovered this guy, who is obsessed.

One Heat Minute (https://oneheatminute.com) Podcast

Yeah I can't compete with that, my wife thinks I'm a weirdo for owning it on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, and Amazon. Now I can show her this guy and his 170 episode podcast. Starting next week I'm gonna listen to it while I'm working.

JSGlock34
08-15-2019, 09:14 PM
Yeah I can't compete with that, my wife thinks I'm a weirdo for owning it on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, and Amazon. Now I can show her this guy and his 170 episode podcast. Starting next work I'm gonna listen to it while I'm working.

I've listened to a bunch, but it is hard to recommend (unless you are really OCD about Heat). I've skipped around to listen to some of his guests (which include Michael Mann in the final episode) though. Some interesting insights, but the format is unavoidably repetitive. I'm somewhere in the 40s right now.

Some things I've learned:

The upcoming Heat novel by Reed Farrel Coleman will actually be part prequel and part sequel to the film
Eady's house is actually now Bosch's house (in the Amazon TV series Bosch)
Ted Levine, who plays Bosko (a Detective on Hanna's squad), also played Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs (no secret, I just never made the connection)

Casual Friday
08-15-2019, 10:05 PM
I've listened to a bunch, but it is hard to recommend (unless you are really OCD about Heat). I've skipped around to listen to some of his guests (which include Michael Mann in the final episode) though. Some interesting insights, but the format is unavoidably repetitive. I'm somewhere in the 40s right now.

Some things I've learned:

The upcoming Heat novel by Reed Farrel Coleman will actually be part prequel and part sequel to the film
Eady's house is actually now Bosch's house (in the Amazon TV series Bosch)
Ted Levine, who plays Bosko (a Detective on Hanna's squad), also played Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs (no secret, I just never made the connection)

I'll probably just let it play through and zone out the boring and repetitive parts. I'm mostly interested in the little tidbits of info that I might not know, like Eady's house being the Bosch house. I like both and am surprised I didn't pick up on it.

I knew about the upcoming novel, and I'm hoping they don't screw it up, there's a lot of places they can go with it if they do it right.

JAD
08-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Do you even "spiderman," bro?

;)

"Pan’s Labyrinth" is a variation of "the elfin knight," an old ballad that was the forerunner of songs like "Scarborough Fair" (Carthy or Simon/Garfunkle) and which was itself a variation of the folktale category ‘clever girl,’ as cataloged in the Aarne-Thompson-Uther index as type 875–a stand-alone motive found in folkloric traditions throughout the Indo-European languages. There really isn’t much new under the sun.

Too academic? :)

I don’t know, it was too fucking boring to read.

Drang
08-21-2019, 06:41 PM
Case in point - The 50 Highest grossing films ever:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Sequel, amusement park ride

Tim Powers' Copyright Lawyer would like a word with you. (https://smile.amazon.com/Stranger-Tides-Tim-Powers-ebook/dp/B004LLII12/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=tim+powers+stranger+tides&qid=1566430812&s=gateway&sr=8-1)

Drang
08-21-2019, 06:44 PM
All I got is a sequel to "Ferris Bueller’s Day Off," where he’s the POTUS, Mia Sara's character (Sloane) is the first lady and Cameron is the VP. They’re tying to ditch the Secret Service so Ferris and Sloane can have just one date night all by themselves. Hilarity and international drama ensues. I’m tellin’ ya, this one will be big for the Holiday season.

;)

So, did Cameron move to another state, or Ferris?
(Candidates for POTUS and VEEP cannot be residents of the same state. I forget which election that was an issue in. Ford v. Carter, maybe?)

Totem Polar
08-21-2019, 07:23 PM
(Candidates for POTUS and VEEP cannot be residents of the same state. I forget which election that was an issue in. Ford v. Carter, maybe?)

Learning has occurred, thanks.

They probably each just bought a house somewhere outside of IL, Clinton-style.

JSGlock34
08-23-2019, 07:15 PM
I'll probably just let it play through and zone out the boring and repetitive parts. I'm mostly interested in the little tidbits of info that I might not know, like Eady's house being the Bosch house. I like both and am surprised I didn't pick up on it.

I knew about the upcoming novel, and I'm hoping they don't screw it up, there's a lot of places they can go with it if they do it right.

So I just hit the episode where they talk about the shootout at the drive-in, and a discussion about the depiction of gun violence in film ensued. The host really does not know anything about firearms (every time he calls the Benelli wielded by Tom Sizemore a 'double-barreled' shotgun I cringe) though even he can recognize that the actors are demonstrating tactical proficiency.

Most of his guests are film critics - I'd love to explain to the host why Heat and other Michael Mann films are held in such high regard by this community.

scjbash
08-23-2019, 08:38 PM

If this page is correct they can be, but it could cause them problems in a close race.

www.history.com/.amp/news/can-the-president-and-vice-president-be-from-the-same-state

Casual Friday
08-23-2019, 08:45 PM
Learning has occurred, thanks.

They probably each just bought a house somewhere outside of IL, Clinton-style.

I was today years old when I found out about that too.

So I just hit the episode where they talk about the shootout at the drive-in, and a discussion about the depiction of gun violence in film ensued. The host really does not know anything about firearms (every time he calls the Benelli wielded by Tom Sizemore a 'double-barreled' shotgun I cringe) though even he can recognize that the actors are demonstrating tactical proficiency.

Most of his guests are film critics - I'd love to explain to the host why Heat and other Michael Mann films are held in such high regard by this community.

Yeah I'm not very far into the episodes yet but I can tell guns aren't his thing.

JSGlock34
08-24-2019, 04:16 PM
While Heat is clearly a remake of LA Takedown, there's a whole lot of Thief in there. Not enough to consider Heat a remake of Thief, but certainly a great deal of shared DNA. This thread and the One Heat Minute podcast motivated me to pull Thief out of the library and give it a rewatch. A few things I picked up...

The opening diamond heist in Thief is very reminiscent of the aborted Precious Metals Depository heist in Heat. Frank and Neal's crews have the same respective roles (lookout, alarms, drilling).

Chris (Val Kilmer) and Barry (James Belushi) are the same guy. They are the right hand men to Neal and Frank respectively, have the same preferences in cars (both drive Corvettes) and firearms (both take the overwatch position with the same rifle - a Heckler and Koch 91). I can't believe these are coincidences.

When Frank discovers his house and car are bugged, his wife asks what does it mean. The first thing he says? "Heat."

In both Heat and Thief, both crews "dump" police surveillance before the main heist by putting the transponders on a bus (to San Clemente and Des Moines respectively).

Both feature a long dialogue about life in prison, penologists, and dreams in a diner.

Both Frank and Neal walk out on their love interest before the final confrontation.

Both Frank and Neal kill the man who double crossed them with a Mozambique (practically a Mann signature - features prominently in Collateral). The same guy must have taught them both how to press-check too...

Jim Watson
08-24-2019, 06:18 PM
I am a science fictioneer and deplore the movies based on comic strips, games, and toys. Stuff arising out of industry screenwriters is no better.
There was an Honor Harrington project that never amounted to anything. They would probably have screwed it up, made Nimitz cute or something.
WWKKD? But who are you going to get to play The Most Competent Entity in the Galaxy?

DMF13
08-24-2019, 10:25 PM
I'll go first.

"The Hustle" a remake of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hustle_(film)That's a remake of a remake!

FrankinCA
08-24-2019, 10:50 PM
Sorceror remake of The Wages of Fear
Talented Mister Ripley remake of Purple Noon
Suspira has been remade among many other Horror films

jtcarm
08-24-2019, 11:22 PM
“Beau Geste” 1926
“Beau Geste” 1939
“Beau Geste” 1966
“The Last Remake Of Beau Geste” 1977
“Beau Geste” 1982 (I guess they lied in ‘77)

We need a Beau Geste for the 21st century.

jtcarm
08-24-2019, 11:29 PM

“Den Of Thieves” is a remake of “Heat”.

DMF13
08-24-2019, 11:33 PM
https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/humor-comedy-comedians-standup8-1.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=579&zoom=2

JSGlock34
08-24-2019, 11:49 PM
“Den Of Thieves” is a remake of “Heat”.

More like a homage than a remake. Supposedly there is a sequel in the works. I'll pass.

HCM
08-25-2019, 12:14 AM
We touched a little on this in The Films of Michael Mann (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8201-The-Films-of-Michael-Mann) thread...Mann has been willing to return to prior projects a few times in his career. There is a lot of Thief in Heat as well...you can really see how Heat was built on the foundation of his earlier works (but most directly on LA Takedown). You also saw Mann return for the reboot of Miami Vice in 2006 (which I think has held up better than most gave it credit for when it was initially released).

Robbery Homicide Division was unfortunately cancelled before it found an audience; interestingly it starred Tom Sizemore, who was played one of the members of the bank robbery crew in Heat, as the lead detective. Really too bad - it had style.

In Thief, Mann had the real life cops, like Dennis Farina playing crooks and the crooks brought in as technical advisers playing the cops. It worked well.

HCM
08-25-2019, 12:25 AM
The Departed is a remake of a 2002 Hong Kong movie called Internal Affairs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs

Chan Wing-yan, a police officer, goes undercover into a triad; only his direct superior, Superintendent Wong, is aware of his mission and true identity. Around the same time, Lau Kin-ming, a triad member, infiltrates the Hong Kong Police Force on the orders of a powerful gang boss, Hon Sam. Each mole has been planted by the rival organisation to gain an advantage over the other side. Over the course of ten years, Chan experiences great stress from his undercover work while Lau quickly rises through the ranks in the police department.

Using Morse code, Chan is able to relay data back to the police. However, Lau alerts Hon, giving him enough time to order his minions to dispose of the evidence. After the incident, both Wong and Hon are tasked with finding the moles in their respective organization.

Wong intends to pull Chan out of undercover work for fear of his safety. However, Wong is caught by Hon's men and is killed when he is thrown off the building, having refused to reveal Chan despite a beating from the gangsters.

Through this incident, Lau retrieves Wong's cell phone and contacts Chan; both of them agree to foil a drug deal by Hon. The plan succeeds and many of Hon's men are arrested, while Lau betrays Hon and murders him. Everything seems to have returned to normal. However, back at police headquarters, Chan discovers that Lau was the mole and leaves immediately.

Chan and Lau meet on the same rooftop where Wong was killed earlier. Chan disarms Lau and holds a pistol to his head as a rebuke to Lau's plea for forgiveness and request to remain a cop. Inspector B arrives on the scene shortly and orders Chan to release Lau. Chan holds Lau as a hostage at gunpoint and backs into the lift, but upon moving his head from behind Chan is suddenly shot in the head by B, who then reveals to Lau that he is also a mole planted by Hon. As they take the lift down to the lobby, Lau kills B out of his desire to eradicate traces of his past, become a "good guy" cop, and end the mole hunt. Stepping out of the lift, Lau shows his identity card to the police to identify himself as one of them.

Months after Chan's death, his psychiatrist Lee discovers records revealing Chan's true identity as an undercover police officer; B becomes a scapegoat for Lau as the real mole in the police force and the case is closed. Lau salutes Chan at his funeral. A flashback reaffirms the point at which Lau wished he had taken a different route in life.

HCM
08-25-2019, 12:37 AM
Red Dragon is a remake of Manhunter.

Fun fact -Mann like to use the same actors in many projects, William Petersen the protagonist in Manhunter was the bartender in Thief.

Tom Noonan, who played Francis Dollarhyde in Manhunter was also in Heat - he was the guy in the wheelchair who sold the crew the bank job.

Petersen and Noonan later appeared together in some episodes of CSI.

Bucky
08-25-2019, 06:42 AM
Never Say Never Again is a remake of Thunderball. One of the rare instances where the lead character in a remake is played by the same actor as in the original.

JSGlock34
08-25-2019, 09:58 AM
Obviously Total Recall (2012) was a remake of Total Recall (1990), but there were significant differences. I actually liked both.

I also like how the Beretta 90-TWO is the pistol of the future.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/0/0d/Hr_Total_Recall_6.jpg