PDA

View Full Version : A closer look at Red Flag Laws

baddean
08-13-2019, 06:02 PM
This article came into my in box from The New American.
Thought it would be of interest here.
17 States have already violated the constitution in the name of "doing something"
Like the article states, it's harder to remove bad laws once they are in place than to prevent them from being enacted.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/33114-a-closer-look-at-the-dangers-of-red-flag-laws?vsmaid=5590&vcid=1722

TGS
08-13-2019, 06:12 PM
This article is garbage and several things are patently false.

If you want a closer look at red flag laws, sensationalized clickbait isn't it.

Drang
08-13-2019, 06:20 PM
Considering all the accusations made against Trump wince he started his initial presidential campaign, I have to think he realizes that he's number one on a lot of lists for action under a red flag law...

StraitR
08-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Alan Dershowitz (of all people) summed up the biggest issue I see with red flag laws, quoted below. It's a bigger issue than the guns and 2A, and too many people are failing to apply any measure of critical thinking to the matter. Seems like a slippery slope to fascism in the name of "the greater good", in which there may be no return after giving over that much control. Scary times, scary times indeed.

“If the government can take your guns based on a prediction today, what will stop it from taking your liberty based on a prediction tomorrow?” - Alan Dershowitz

baddean
08-13-2019, 07:05 PM
This article is garbage and several things are patently false.

If you want a closer look at red flag laws, sensationalized clickbait isn't it.

Hummm… I guess it wasn't as interesting as I thought. My bad.

TGS
08-13-2019, 07:18 PM
Hummm… I guess it wasn't as interesting as I thought. My bad.

If you're interested, there's an ongoing thread where we go into detail on some various examples of red flag laws.

Any law or system of government is a danger to personal liberty. The key is writing them properly. The RKBA community needs to be engaged on making sure that these laws are well written...they're coming, whether we engage or not.

baddean
08-13-2019, 09:36 PM
If you're interested, there's an ongoing thread where we go into detail on some various examples of red flag laws.

Any law or system of government is a danger to personal liberty. The key is writing them properly. The RKBA community needs to be engaged on making sure that these laws are well written...they're coming, whether we engage or not.
Thanks,
Are you referring to the current thread running in the LEO forum? Since I'm not LEO I usually don't frequent that forum.
Reading the posts there I can see where the article has flaws.
Here in Ohio there is a movement to enact a red flag law and I want to contact my reps to voice disproval intelligently.
It appears that our governor is trying to get it right though.

HCM
09-04-2019, 10:39 AM