PDA

View Full Version : Democrat Senators tell the Supreme Court to heel

LittleLebowski
08-13-2019, 04:13 PM
This is...insane. Banana Republic type shit.

Senate Dems deliver stunning warning to Supreme Court: ‘Heal’ or face restructuring (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-dems-deliver-stunning-warning-to-supreme-court-heal-or-face-restructuring)

Several high-profile Senate Democrats warned the Supreme Court in pointed terms this week that it could face a fundamental restructuring if justices do not take steps to "heal" the court in the near future.

The ominous and unusual warning was delivered as part of a brief filed Monday in a case related to a New York City gun law. Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, Richard Durbin, D-Ill., and Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., referenced rulings by the court's conservative majority in claiming it is suffering from some sort of affliction which must be remedied.

Kyle Reese
08-13-2019, 04:15 PM
....and if they refuse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duke
08-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Clearly they’re a danger to themselves and others.

Wonder how many of them support red flag law’s for “violent” speech

LittleLebowski
08-13-2019, 04:31 PM
I don’t think that Clarence Thomas will be cowed by this.

blues
08-13-2019, 04:35 PM
The more these d-nozzles open their pieholes, the more convinced I become that if they can't heal themselves they will talk themselves irretrievably out of being electable.

They have literally walked off the edge of the cliff. I've never seen anything quite like it.

https://media.tenor.com/images/0e73151f6a025dd74c6cae4d7757661d/tenor.gif

LittleLebowski
08-13-2019, 04:37 PM
The more these d-nozzles open their pieholes, the more convinced I become that if they can't heal themselves they will talk themselves irretrievably out of being electable.

They have literally walked off the edge of the cliff. I've never seen anything quite like it.

It’s a soft war at this point. It’s insane.

blues
08-13-2019, 04:41 PM
It’s a soft war at this point. It’s insane.

I think the Dems ought to start holding their meetings here...

https://allthatsinteresting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/danvers-1893.jpg

Danvers State Hospital was originally called the State Lunatic Asylum at Danvers

Shoresy
08-13-2019, 04:48 PM
Because you know how you remove political influence from an appointed body? You threaten them if they don't do EXACTLY what your political party tells them to...:rolleyes:

wvincent
08-13-2019, 04:48 PM
The fact that they were actually emboldened enough to send that message is truly frightening.
Don't underestimate the support that thinly veiled threat has from their followers, the folks over at DU are positively swooning over the thought.

I fear for my Nation.

ssb
08-13-2019, 04:51 PM
It's almost like they know they'll lose that New York gun case...

Edit: Read the brief. Un-fucking-believable.

Bucky
08-13-2019, 04:53 PM
So much for separation of powers.

feudist
08-13-2019, 05:11 PM
That's impressively stupid. I mean tattoo your face stupid.

Hieronymous
08-13-2019, 05:29 PM
Here's the link to the actual brief. I couldn't bring myself to read the whole thing, but it is (unsurprisingly) replete with bilious attacks on the NRA and The Federalist Society. The left is in a rage that control of the Supreme Court was denied them in Hillary's defeat and this brief is a written display of that rage. Shame on them for making a casual threat to the independence of the Court. I am confident the justices are aware of Article V, and equally aware that "restructuring" is a progressive fantasy and nothing more.

https://www.whitehouse.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/New%20York%20Rifle%20&%20Pistol%20Association%20v.%20New%20York%20(White house%20amicus%20FINAL).pdf

HCountyGuy
08-13-2019, 05:30 PM
"The Supreme Court is not well. And the people know it," the brief said.

Bull. Simply because they might actually strike down asinine gun laws via adherence to the Constitution, that makes them unwell? That's what their job is, to ensure laws aren't going against the very document so critical in outlining the rights of the American people.

The Dems are seriously coming unglued.

Greg
08-13-2019, 05:41 PM
Dream Headline:

Supreme Court tells Senate Dems to “Eat A Bowl of Dicks”

Kyle Reese
08-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Sounds like something out of Stalin’s USSR or Ceaucescu’s Romania.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
08-13-2019, 05:43 PM
My wife and I once saw a guy in a gas station parking lot at a major intersection rip off all his own clothes, shit in his hand, and start throwing it, midday, midweek.

Sorta that.

Also, my sense is that Federal judges at the level of circuit or higher don’t take threats with much humor. JMO.

Tackleberry40sw
08-13-2019, 05:45 PM

https://allthatsinteresting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/danvers-1893.jpg

North Brother Island is closer and surrounded by warter.

entropy
08-13-2019, 05:53 PM
https://youtu.be/sTFVMMCwsss

Cory
08-13-2019, 05:53 PM
In the brief, they blatently say that the court shouldn't hear the issue because those filing it hosted a multimillion dolllar campaign to change the make up of the court. Essentially they are saying that because the NRA endorsed Kavanaugh, the court shouldnt hear 2nd amendment cases that are NRA endorsed (such as this one which is brought by the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association.

So paraphrasing they basically said:
-You shouldn't be political.
-Your court is a joke because Kavanaugh is there.
-This constitutional right is a political project
-This is to expanded the 2nd amendment passed its intended purpose (yeah right)
-Your court is basically boughy and paid for by Rs and thats wrong
-All the pro 2nd amicus are bogus
-Youve ruled like shit and eveyone knows it.
-Toss this case or we'll restructure you to be our political bend of "reasonable" and "just".

It's pretty blatent. I hope the court crushes them with a reaponse that leaves less interpretation.

-Cory

Old Man Winter
08-13-2019, 05:57 PM

I think a British owned oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz is a far better choice.

RJ
08-13-2019, 06:07 PM
Maybe these D Senators believe RBG’s D5W drip will run out before next November?

But seriously. This is a significant over reach by the Legislative Branch. I can’t see how this ends up positive for them.

Drang
08-13-2019, 06:16 PM
In the brief, they blatently say that the court shouldn't hear the issue because those filing it hosted a multimillion dolllar campaign to change the make up of the court. Essentially they are saying that because the NRA endorsed Kavanaugh, the court shouldnt hear 2nd amendment cases that are NRA endorsed (such as this one which is brought by the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association.

So paraphrasing they basically said:
-You shouldn't be political.
-Your court is a joke because Kavanaugh is there.
-This constitutional right is a political project
-This is to expanded the 2nd amendment passed its intended purpose (yeah right)
-Your court is basically boughy and paid for by Rs and thats wrong
-All the pro 2nd amicus are bogus
-Youve ruled like shit and eveyone knows it.
-Toss this case or we'll restructure you to be our political bend of "reasonable" and "just".

It's pretty blatent. I hope the court crushes them with a reaponse that leaves less interpretation.

-Cory
That shit will get Ginsberg, Sotomayor, and Kagan voting with Thomas and Gorsuch in a heartbeat.

RevolverRob
08-13-2019, 06:19 PM
So a they want to change the legislation to alter the size of the court, huh? Okay. Good luck ever getting a decision.

They tried 10 and 11 member courts and couldn’t get decisions out. Hence the reduction. But whateves.

Cory
08-13-2019, 06:37 PM
That shit will get Ginsberg, Sotomayor, and Kagan voting with Thomas and Gorsuch in a heartbeat.

Sorry. My spelling, grammar, and everything else in that post was off by a mile. Being in a hurry and on a phone is my excuse.

-Cory

RJ
08-13-2019, 06:39 PM
Here's the link to the actual brief. I couldn't bring myself to read the whole thing, but it is (unsurprisingly) replete with bilious attacks on the NRA and The Federalist Society. The left is in a rage that control of the Supreme Court was denied them in Hillary's defeat and this brief is a written display of that rage. Shame on them for making a casual threat to the independence of the Court. I am confident the justices are aware of Article V, and equally aware that "restructuring" is a progressive fantasy and nothing more.

https://www.whitehouse.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/New%20York%20Rifle%20&%20Pistol%20Association%20v.%20New%20York%20(White house%20amicus%20FINAL).pdf

I read it all.

Wow.

Basically: “You better unfuck yourselves and do what we say, or else.”

Who the fuck is Sen Sheldon Whitehouse? I see he managed to put a plug in for his book in the brief. What a dick.

Edit: Found him. Junior Senator from Rhode Island on his third term. Second most liberal Senator, according to National Review according to the Wiki entry I saw.

jlw
08-13-2019, 06:46 PM
There is precedent. FDR had a "court packing" scheme.

The Constitution stipulates that there will be a Supreme Court, but its actual composition is set by Congress, and the number of Justices has not always been set at nine. During the Great Depression, SCOTUS struck down some of FDR's actions. FDR responded by calling for an additional Justice on the Court for every current Justice over 70 years and six months of age for a max of six additional Justices.

Of course, FDR would have been the one to appoint the additional Justices.

The Supreme Court then upheld a minimum wage, a ruling that became known as "the switch in time that saved nine".

Singlestack Wonder
08-13-2019, 06:55 PM
Will SCOTUS ever return to ruling only on whether a lower court decision is constitutional or not? The Constitution seems to be mostly sidestepped these days....

I would think their decisions should be, "Yes, lower ruling was constitutional, or No, lower ruling was unconstitutional"

Guinnessman
08-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Hopefully the Dems don’t suicide the conservatives on the court. We know how they roll..........😱

Shoresy
08-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Maybe these D Senators believe RBG’s D5W drip will run out before next November?

But seriously. This is a significant over reach by the Legislative Branch. I can’t see how this ends up positive for them.

I thought she was on 10W30 at this point.

Totally agree on the latter (serious) half. I can't figure out how this is acceptable conduct at all. If it were AOC, I'd chalk it up to her shoe-size IQ. With this crew, they know exactly what they're saying and exactly what the implications are.

BillSWPA
08-13-2019, 07:21 PM
I would hate to be the attorney who signed such a brief . . .

Suvorov
08-13-2019, 07:27 PM
So if the court votes for the Democrat side it is not being political but if it rules an the "conservative" side it is being political?

How is such a statement not being political?

The Left in this country are really pushing for something no sane individual wants.

fixer
08-13-2019, 07:59 PM
The brief reads like a bunch of wailing little bitches.

They are really pissed off about losing court battles--especially gun related court battle. They are so pissed off they are threatening a restructuring scheme to fix things.

So basically they are saying that the only way to defeat people's gun rights is to restructure the fucking court until they get the outcome they like.

Call me crazy but this sounds like an admission of defeat more than anything.

OlongJohnson
08-13-2019, 08:45 PM
The brief reads like a bunch of wailing little bitches.

They are really pissed off about losing court battles--especially gun related court battle. They are so pissed off they are threatening a restructuring scheme to fix things.

So basically they are saying that the only way to defeat people's gun rights is to restructure the fucking court until they get the outcome they like.

Call me crazy but this sounds like an admission of defeat more than anything.

No. They are finally taking off the mask and showing how far they are willing to go to get what they want. They are willing to burn it all down, because it being burned all down is what they want anyway. They are totalitarian idealogues and I don't think we'll ever be done fighting them, just like we're unlikely to be done fighting any other kind of totalitarian idealogues in the near future.

littlejerry
08-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Somehow these seditious pricks managed to one-up every stupid utterance to ever come out of DJT with one letter.

This is how you get 4 more years of MAGA.

Trukinjp13
08-13-2019, 09:33 PM
All I read was the Democrats telling the Supreme Court they do not give a shit about the Constitution/Bill of Rights/Law. Do as I tell you or suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe in PNG
08-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Do these dumbasses really want a civil war?

WOLFIE
08-13-2019, 10:15 PM
These 4 politicians hurt themselves and their party by showing what they want and what they are capable of. AND they put in writing.

the Schwartz
08-13-2019, 10:43 PM
This is...insane. Banana Republic type shit.

Senate Dems deliver stunning warning to Supreme Court: ‘Heal’ or face restructuring (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-dems-deliver-stunning-warning-to-supreme-court-heal-or-face-restructuring)

Sounds like a another Democrat strategy that'll ensure that Trump will win in 2020. I am sure that he is enjoying his newest gift from the Dems right now.

Yung
08-13-2019, 11:00 PM
I don’t think that Clarence Thomas will be cowed by this.

Hopefully Roberts will remember he has a backbone.

the Schwartz
08-13-2019, 11:01 PM
Hopefully Roberts will remember he has a backbone.

We don't need him. We have 5 others that make up a majority. :cool:

hufnagel
08-14-2019, 06:14 AM
A cornered animal is at its most dangerous. While I suspect they won't try anything while not in power, I'd expect at least one conservative justice (hint: his surname is also synonymous with a kid's train show) would suddenly find themselves Scalia'd if these people are not brought to heel.