PDA

View Full Version : Colt Special Combat Government

Robinson
08-10-2019, 05:17 PM
I recently purchased a brand new Colt Special Combat Government pistol, one of which I have been wanting for some time, and wanted to post my impressions so far.

The SCG is a Colt Custom Shop gun, produced in smaller batches throughout each year. It is a Series 80 gun, and at some point it may be replaced by the Custom Competition which is a Series 70 gun. But for now the SCG is still being made although the variants have been reduced. They are available in .45ACP and .38 Super. Mine is a .45 and I bought it from a local dealer for $1565 -- an excellent price for this model.

My example is all stainless, finished with Ion Bond and looks close to a hard chrome finish. If features a Bomar-style adjustable rear sight, 25 LPI checkered front strap and main spring housing, a beavertail grip safety, ambidextrous thumb safety, and a mag well. The grip safety and mag well are nicely fit and both safeties are tuned perfectly for function. The grip panels are G10 VZ Grips. The overall appearance is tasteful and elegant, the fit and finish are superb, and there are no blemishes or imperfections I have found.

I haven't measured yet, but I would guess the trigger at about 4 lbs. The checkered front strap gives nice purchase and it's easy to get a good firing grip. I like Bomar-style rear sights and this one works well, though the plain black front sight can be hard to pick up against a dark background. The slide to frame fit is tighter than many Colts but not so tight as to move away from Colt's build philosophy.

As for what the Custom Shop does in the building of the SCG -- the barrel is hand fit to the pistol, the safeties are also hand fit, and the grip safety looks to be blended to the frame. The mag well and bottom of the grip frame are nicely beveled. Colt's front strap checkering is done by machine, but is some of the best in the business. I like the border they use at the top and bottom of the checkered area.

I have a lot more shooting to do before I can provide a meaningful appraisal of the gun's reliability. So far I have made only one range trip with it, firing a couple hundred rounds of FMJ. There were no malfunctions, as should be expected. Spent cases ejected smartly to the right. The gun is easy to shoot well, and I am likely not a good enough shooter to really take advantage of its accuracy potential.

I will post an update on reliability once I've reached 1000 rounds or so and will try to post some pics in the Gallery section. So far I am quite pleased with the SCG and it is perhaps the best shooting pistol I've owned to date.

45dotACP
08-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Not having pics up is practically criminal sir...I can't stop taking photos of my peasant grade 1911s and showing them off like they're special and you've got a Special Combat Government...

Shame.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Robinson
08-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Next week. :)

AdioSS
08-11-2019, 12:56 AM
Since this was posted on Saturday night & it is now a Sunday, it is technically next week already :cool:

Lon
08-11-2019, 07:50 AM
For the crime of posting about this 1911 without posting pics:

Hambo
08-11-2019, 08:04 AM

Because you have to buy film and have the photos developed? :rolleyes:

Greg
08-11-2019, 09:26 AM
I can't believe I have to use this on this forum....

TOTS
08-11-2019, 12:28 PM

Because a Colt thread without Colt pics is inexcusable.

Trooper224
08-11-2019, 02:56 PM
The SCG is one of the best pistols Colt makes. If I didn't have a Dan Wesson Valor I'd own one of those.

SW CQB 45
08-11-2019, 04:03 PM
I'll add another Colt Govt that is special to me

https://i.imgur.com/POrdarml.jpg

JDT2020
08-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Still no pic of that SCG? OK, I will post my special Colt:

Robinson
08-14-2019, 07:32 AM
JDT2020 - Nice pistol. That looks like one of the run of Colt Competition Pistols they made in blue over stainless. Looks good with the polished flats.

Sorry I've been away from the forum a bit. Anyway here is the SCG:

JDT2020
08-14-2019, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=Robinson;915958]JDT2020 - Nice pistol. That looks like one of the run of Colt Competition Pistols they made in blue over stainless. Looks good with the polished flats.

Yeah, that’s what it is. I’m not a big fan of the two tone 1911s, but I couldn’t pass this one up. It just looks right ya know.

Thanks for the pic. I want the SCG too. Gorgeous gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinson
08-15-2019, 03:31 PM
Another 200 rounds through this gun, still no drama to report.

I am really beginning to appreciate the barrels Colt puts in their Custom Shop guns. The CCS barrel is an entirely different part number from the regular National Match barrel they drop into their production guns including the Gold Cups. The CCS barrels are over-sized in several places and must be hand fit, so the critical dimensions are all just right. As I said, I probably will never get the most out of this gun's accuracy potential but the quality of the barrel fitment shows in how the gun shoots.

I'd really like a blued model too, but I'm not sure those are currently being made. Colt makes a certain number of SCGs each year and not all models/finishes are produced during each yearly run. Plus I totally lucked out getting this one for the price I did. They are typically priced $300-500 higher.

Robinson
08-31-2019, 04:18 PM
Quick update -- I passed 1000 rounds through the SCG today. Still no failures or problems of any kind to report. I've lubed the gun twice so far (including when I first bought it) with no cleanings to date. It doesn't show any signs of needing it, but I'll probably break it down and clean it pretty soon, mostly because I just want another look at the internals.