PDA

View Full Version : Current state of 7.62 Silencers (Cans, suppressors, whatever)

rob_s
08-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Maybe we already have this thread, but a quick search couldn't turn it up.

I'm curious to know what is "old faithful" and what is "new hotness" in the 7.62 silencer market these days. As I see it there are a couple of sub-categories here:

7.62 cans for "precision" shooting (call it sniping, benchrest, whatever)
7.62 silencers for "battle rifles" (AR10, FAL, SCAR, etc.)
7.62 multi-use silencers for potential use on both of the above, plus 300 Blackout, 5.56, etc. moved around to multiple guns.

That last one is the one I'm most interested in, personally, but figure they're all inter-related to a point for one thread.

Under category 3, what I've always hoped to find was

major manufacturer over 5 years in business (no garage makers, not looking to fund someone else's hobby)
Multiple mounts (5.56 FH & brake, 7.62 FH & brake, AK-compatible FH, etc.)
~7" (turning a 10.5" barrel AR into ~the same length as a 16"+FH)
<16 oz (even less still would be better)
1.5" OD
<$1k (<$800 even better)
<$100 mounts

I used to keep up with this chart (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GDsKKkewMeMuTHAmjl9KebQbS6T2iPKxQePPGyVJjAY/edit?usp=sharing), but I'm sure it's dated now.

BobM
08-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Thanks for starting this. I'm in the market. I want one for my Ruger American Ranch in 300 B, but I'd also like to use it on my Remington LTR. It would be a big plus if I could also use it on an AR. I've been considering a Gemtech One or a Silencerco Omega so far.

Paul D
08-10-2019, 11:29 AM
I have two 7.62 mm cans: an AAC SR-7 and a SiCo Omega. I use the Omega for my thread on bolt guns. It is light and short and balances well. You can change the front and rear caps for 5.56 mm. However, I would not use it for semi-auto guns. The end caps threading is not the most robust. I use the SR-7 for my AR-10, FAL, etc. It is very robust albeit heavier and longer. At 7.6" long, 1.5" wide, 19 oz with widely available mounts for <$100 and a price of $700; I think it fits category 3 well. It is 'old' tech developed by Kevin Brittingham's staff before they left but it works and because it's old, it's cheap.

LittleLebowski
08-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Maybe we already have this thread, but a quick search couldn't turn it up.

I'm curious to know what is "old faithful" and what is "new hotness" in the 7.62 silencer market these days. As I see it there are a couple of sub-categories here:

7.62 cans for "precision" shooting (call it sniping, benchrest, whatever)
7.62 silencers for "battle rifles" (AR10, FAL, SCAR, etc.)
7.62 multi-use silencers for potential use on both of the above, plus 300 Blackout, 5.56, etc. moved around to multiple guns.

That last one is the one I'm most interested in, personally, but figure they're all inter-related to a point for one thread.

Under category 3, what I've always hoped to find was

major manufacturer over 5 years in business (no garage makers, not looking to fund someone else's hobby)
Multiple mounts (5.56 FH & brake, 7.62 FH & brake, AK-compatible FH, etc.)
~7" (turning a 10.5" barrel AR into ~the same length as a 16"+FH)
<16 oz (even less still would be better)
1.5" OD
<$1k (<$800 even better)
<$100 mounts

I used to keep up with this chart (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GDsKKkewMeMuTHAmjl9KebQbS6T2iPKxQePPGyVJjAY/edit?usp=sharing), but I'm sure it's dated now.

It’s hard to answer all of your questions, maybe because of my ADD, but I’ll answer what I can off of the top of my head :D

Right now, the gold standard for all but precision is Dead Air as you can’t go wrong buying DA anything. However, I have their precision can (the Sandman Ti) and while it’s not as light as others, I love it and shoot good groups with it. The gold standard for precision is Thunderbeast Arms or “TBAC”. An emerging standard for mounting options (I’m probably not getting this exactly right) is the Silencerco thread pattern where you can use Silencerco mounts, DA mounts (vastly superior to SiCo mounts), and even direct thread. Both TBAC and DA meet your criteria for well established companies.

I strongly recommend contacting Hansohn Brothers for a PF discount. They will very likely best your local dealer even when factoring cost of transfer.

rob_s
08-10-2019, 11:54 AM
It’s hard to answer all of your questions, maybe because of my ADD, but I’ll answer what I can off of the top of my head :D

Right now, the gold standard for all but precision is Dead Air as you can’t go wrong buying DA anything. However, I have their precision can (the Sandman Ti) and while it’s not as light as others, I love it and shoot good groups with it. The gold standard for precision is Thunderbeast Arms or “TBAC”. An emerging standard for mounting options (I’m probably not getting this exactly right) is the Silencerco thread pattern where you can use Silencerco mounts, DA mounts (vastly superior to SiCo mounts), and even direct thread. Both TBAC and DA meet your criteria for well established companies.

I strongly recommend contacting Hansohn Brothers for a PF discount. They will very likely best your local dealer even when factoring cost of transfer.

Less about my specific "questions" and meant as more of a "current state of" thread as the "Current State of AK" thread has turned into quite a good long-term resource.

The Dead Air Sandman-K (https://deadairsilencers.com/products/sandman-k/) does seem to tick a lot of the boxes. I wish the Sandman-S (https://deadairsilencers.com/products/sandman-s/) was lighter.

Hansohn Brothers
08-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Hard use cans, the Energetic Vox-S is the clear leader with the YHM Resonator and Dead Air Sandman-K tied for second.
Precision: Thunder Beast.
Multi-use silencers, the Dead Air Nomad and the SilencerCo Omega are tied for the lead.

One thing I am noticing is with better metering data and education of the consumer. People are realizing that even with a silencer, a 5.56mm AR is not hearing safe. Instead, they are looking at weight, mounting options, and how the silencer fits their specific needs. As Pat would say, "Let the mission drive the gear..."

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions.

El Cid
08-11-2019, 09:19 PM
Rob, I tried to make my Silencerco Omega work on my PredatAR 762. It was speeding up the bolt carrier and causing malfunctions. I spoke with LaRue who were very helpful. I tried every combo of buffer and spring I could find. Nothing worked. The other option was to get a variable gas block but I’m not willing to go down that path.

They said the only cans LaRue guarantees to work with their rifles are their own Tranquilo and Surefire. I’m close to ordering a Tranquilo. The price is decent and I’ve gotten good feedback from a friend who I trust. My only concern is the weight of the can and if I’ll need to have LaRue swap out the pencil bbl for an OBR bbl.

Gadfly
08-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Taggin in.

I have an AAC 762-SDN6. It’s old tech, but proven. I have 5 mounts. I move it between 2 SBR 5.56, one 16”, and a Savage .308 bolt gun.

It’s decent. A tad heavy on the sbr. But the 51t Mount has some wiggle. Every time I take off the bolt gun and put it back on, I get an inch or two of shift. So I tend to leave it on for an entire hunting trip, which defeats the purpose of being able to swap it around.

I have been looking at CRUX. They have a direct thread muzzle device set up. It’s not super quick, but it’s tool-less, and the ultra fine threads also have a taper at the end of the mount. There is zero wiggle or play when you put it on hand tight. It’s Ti and pretty light. Some models do 9mm, .300wm, .308, .300, 5.56 in on can.

I think I want one of those. My buddy has one, and it is sweet. I got to tour the factory here in houston... seems like a good operation. Anyone have any input on Crux?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hansohn Brothers
08-12-2019, 06:40 AM
Anyone have any input on Crux?

Are they still in business? You might want to give them a call to check.

Kyle Reese
08-12-2019, 07:08 AM
Less about my specific "questions" and meant as more of a "current state of" thread as the "Current State of AK" thread has turned into quite a good long-term resource.

The Dead Air Sandman-K (https://deadairsilencers.com/products/sandman-k/) does seem to tick a lot of the boxes. I wish the Sandman-S (https://deadairsilencers.com/products/sandman-s/) was lighter.Another vote for the Sandman K. It lives on my 5.56mm BCM 16" middy, and checks all of the boxes for me. I attended the NRAs LE Training Division Tactical Shooting Instructor course at Charleston PDs range a few months ago with this set-up, and was pleased with the weight, balance and decibel reduction. It is a 5 day course, and by day 3, many of the students stated that they preferred to be on my flank, in lieu of guys running carbines with a SF muzzle brake.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Hansohn Brothers
08-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Anyone have any input on Crux?

Looks like they are having some issues, probably avoid until the get everything worked out.

https://tacticalgunreview.com/crux-suppressors-sold/

littlejerry
08-14-2019, 09:21 PM
Any thoughts on the Griffin Explorr?

I know everyone loves to hate them but they've been around a while and the specs look right.

If YHM would make a resonator K this decision would be a lot easier.

rob_s
08-19-2019, 08:07 AM
Hard use cans, the Energetic Vox-S is the clear leader with the YHM Resonator and Dead Air Sandman-K tied for second.
Precision: Thunder Beast.
Multi-use silencers, the Dead Air Nomad and the SilencerCo Omega are tied for the lead.

Curious as to why the Sandman-K wouldn't make your list of "multi-use"?

rob_s
08-19-2019, 08:08 AM
IThe gold standard for precision is Thunderbeast Arms or “TBAC”. An emerging standard for mounting options (I’m probably not getting this exactly right) is the Silencerco thread pattern where you can use Silencerco mounts, DA mounts (vastly superior to SiCo mounts), and even direct thread.

I'm interested in hearing more about this. Anyone have a link to a youtube or other resource that covers this universal mount?

Hansohn Brothers
08-19-2019, 08:40 AM
Curious as to why the Sandman-K wouldn't make your list of "multi-use"?

Looking back at your original post, silencers in group 2 can also be considered for group 3. Group 3 are made from lighter materials and generally not recommended for high firing schedule machine gun use, though most will hold up fine to some machine gun use, a few mag dumps back to back for example. Another item I forgot to mention is my list is based on my sales for this year.

Hansohn Brothers
08-19-2019, 09:17 AM
I'm interested in hearing more about this. Anyone have a link to a youtube or other resource that covers this universal mount?

1.375x24 has become the de facto standard for rifle silencer mounts.

A little background: Dead Air was formed by former SilencerCo owners and staff. The Dead Air Keymount is considered superior to the SilencerCo ASR mounting systems. Dead Air introduced the KeyMo adapter that allows the SilencerCo Omega to use Dead Air brakes and flash hiders. Consumers latched on to the concept of being able to use the mount of their choice.

Other manufacturers (YHM, Q, Griffin , etc) recognized this and now make mounts that can be used on the Omega. Further, new silencer companies saw an opportunity to use a highly regarded mount instead of designing and manufacturing their own. Energetic Arms Vox, Dead Air Nomad, Rex Silentium, KG Made, RMS2 and the YHM Turbo K (I may be missing a few) all use the same thread specifications as the Omega. For the consumers that are focusing on light weight, we make a titanium direct thread adapter. I expect to see more than a few new silencers at SHOT 2020 using this mounting pattern.

This trend is also starting to emerge for handgun/PCC/subguns. Rugged (also former SilencerCo staff/partner) and Griffin handgun silencers use the same thread pattern as the SilencerCo Octane and Omega K series. I am hearing rumors new handgun designs by other companies are considering the use of this pattern.

A by-product of this is the form 1 DIY community now have a wide selection of mounts they can use for their home builds.

rob_s
08-20-2019, 06:19 AM
1.375x24 has become the de facto standard for rifle silencer mounts.

A little background: Dead Air was formed by former SilencerCo owners and staff. The Dead Air Keymount is considered superior to the SilencerCo ASR mounting systems. Dead Air introduced the KeyMo adapter that allows the SilencerCo Omega to use Dead Air brakes and flash hiders. Consumers latched on to the concept of being able to use the mount of their choice.

Other manufacturers (YHM, Q, Griffin , etc) recognized this and now make mounts that can be used on the Omega. Further, new silencer companies saw an opportunity to use a highly regarded mount instead of designing and manufacturing their own. Energetic Arms Vox, Dead Air Nomad, Rex Silentium, KG Made, RMS2 and the YHM Turbo K (I may be missing a few) all use the same thread specifications as the Omega. For the consumers that are focusing on light weight, we make a titanium direct thread adapter. I expect to see more than a few new silencers at SHOT 2020 using this mounting pattern.

This trend is also starting to emerge for handgun/PCC/subguns. Rugged (also former SilencerCo staff/partner) and Griffin handgun silencers use the same thread pattern as the SilencerCo Octane and Omega K series. I am hearing rumors new handgun designs by other companies are considering the use of this pattern.

A by-product of this is the form 1 DIY community now have a wide selection of mounts they can use for their home builds.

So basically various manufacturers are making rear caps that adapt from the ID threads of their tube to the OD threads of the KeyMo flash hiders and brakes? And in some cases, they are simply making the ID threads at the rear of their tube match the Omega so they can just use the existing adapter to mount to KeyMo?

LittleLebowski
08-20-2019, 06:35 AM
Any thoughts on the Griffin Explorr?

I know everyone loves to hate them but they've been around a while and the specs look right.

If YHM would make a resonator K this decision would be a lot easier.

I don't like Griffin as a company. The Energetic Vox is a very tough and light .30 can.

Hansohn Brothers
08-20-2019, 09:52 AM
So basically various manufacturers are making rear caps that adapt from the ID threads of their tube to the OD threads of the KeyMo flash hiders and brakes? And in some cases, they are simply making the ID threads at the rear of their tube match the Omega so they can just use the existing adapter to mount to KeyMo?

More like your second example. See https://youtu.be/dWIBE7lvJxU start at :52.

rob_s
08-22-2019, 11:10 AM
On paper, the Thunderbeast Arms Ultra 7 (https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7) seems like a good set of specs. Am I correct in assuming that this would not be considered a "hard use" can due to the materials?

It seems to tick a lot of boxes, and my days of worrying about firing hundreds or thousands of rounds through an AR in a day (suppressed or otherwise) are probably behind me.

any compatibility with the KeyMo mounts?

Dan_S
08-22-2019, 01:46 PM
On paper, the Thunderbeast Arms Ultra 7 (https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7) seems like a good set of specs. Am I correct in assuming that this would not be considered a "hard use" can due to the materials?

It seems to tick a lot of boxes, and my days of worrying about firing hundreds or thousands of rounds through an AR in a day (suppressed or otherwise) are probably behind me.

any compatibility with the KeyMo mounts?

No, the TBAC is either a direct thread, or mounts using a TBAC brake.

TBAC says to keep their cans under 800 degrees F, IIRC.

You can see the videos on YouTube where Ray Sanchez tests out the cans to see what that means practically. Basically, it gives you a mag dump, and change.

Primarily, TBAC makes *precision* cans, which are definitely not intended for heavy semi-auto use. If you were looking for a heavier duty 5.56 offering, check out the TBAC TD 5.56, which was designed for the SURG program trials - the price is right, also.

El Cid
08-24-2019, 02:57 PM
What’s the word on the Trash Panda? I’m digging the muzzle device and that each can ships with 2 (one for 5.56 and one for .30 cal bbls).

Dan_S
08-24-2019, 03:16 PM
What’s the word on the Trash Panda? I’m digging the muzzle device and that each can ships with 2 (one for 5.56 and one for .30 cal bbls).

Based upon the unresponsiveness of their customer service department, I’d take a hard pass.

I’m still waiting to hear back from them...from when I reached out weeks ago.

jandbj
08-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Liberty Mystic X.

One stop shopping.

Dan_S
08-25-2019, 04:08 PM
Liberty Mystic X.

One stop shopping.

Do you have one? If so, how many rounds through it?

jandbj
08-25-2019, 10:50 PM
Do you have one? If so, how many rounds through it?
Multiple thousands of .38/.357/.357Max, thousands of 9mm full auto, thousands of 5.56 in semi & full auto, same with .300blk, maybe 500 rounds of 7.62x51 from a bolt gun. It is THE Swiss Army knife of cans. A mystic x plus a good lightweight user serviceable rimfire can, covers a ridiculous number of bases.

rob_s
08-26-2019, 04:09 AM
Liberty Mystic X.

One stop shopping.

Multiple thousands of .38/.357/.357Max, thousands of 9mm full auto, thousands of 5.56 in semi & full auto, same with .300blk, maybe 500 rounds of 7.62x51 from a bolt gun. It is THE Swiss Army knife of cans. A mystic x plus a good lightweight user serviceable rimfire can, covers a ridiculous number of bases.

Interesting.

So they are advertising the Mystic X (https://libertycans.net/mystic-x/#) with an "upgrade option" to go to the Infiniti X (https://libertycans.net/infiniti-x-lightweight-silencer/), which appears to be basically the same can but with Ti internals instead of the SS internals of the Mystic.

I'll admit to being somewhat confused, again, by the mounting options. Looks like you replace the rear cap with the mounting option of your choosing for your given application? I see a Booster Assembly (https://libertycans.net/product/recoil-booster-assembly/), a 3-lug mounts (https://libertycans.net/product/mystic-x-3-lug-mount/), fixed barrel adapters (https://libertycans.net/product/fixed-barrel-adapter/), low profile fixed barrel adapters (https://libertycans.net/product/low-profile-fba-fixed-barrel-adapter/), the Freedom Mag QA Mount (https://libertycans.net/product/freedom-mag-qa-223-mount/) (5.56 or 7.62 muzzle brake, unsure what can this is compatible with), the LS2 556 Flash Hider (https://libertycans.net/product/sovereign-556-flash-hider-mount/) (in 5.56 only, again not sure what can this mates up to), the LS1 Muzzle Brake (https://libertycans.net/product/liberty-suppressors-ls1-muzzle-brake/) (which appears to be a 7.62 only brake for the Sovereign suppressor)...

The latter two leading me to go looking for the Sovereign (https://libertycans.net/sovereign/) which appears to be a rifle-only can while the Mystic and Inifiniti are rifle and pistol caliber...? And it appears that the Sovereign takes the LS1 brake mount for 7.62 and the LS2 flash hider mount for 5.56 but doesn't offer a 5.56 brake or 7.62 hider mount...?

Crews
08-26-2019, 05:23 PM
I’m not the tactical type, and I don’t own a plate carrier.... but I have emptied a mag at a pack of hogs running across a field a few dozen times. So you may be looking for something different than me. But with that being said, I absolutely LOVE my TBAC Ultra 5. It’s only 5” long, weight is in the single digit ounces, and it makes all my rifles close enough to hearing safe to make me comfortable. And yes, TBAC reputation for repeatability does apply. They are often considered just in the precision community, and that reputation is well deserved. But I sure do like mine on the 12” 6.8 SBR too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drummer
08-26-2019, 07:45 PM
I don't own one, but it would be hard for me to buy anything else at this point than Q's offerings mostly due to weight. Obviously not the first choice for mag dumps or machine guns. The only thing I don't like about the mount is that I don't want a brake on short barrels.

Clark Jackson
08-26-2019, 08:36 PM

The Dead Air Sandman-K (https://deadairsilencers.com/products/sandman-k/) does seem to tick a lot of the boxes. I wish the Sandman-S (https://deadairsilencers.com/products/sandman-s/) was lighter.

Big +1 to LittleLebowski statement about not going wrong with Dead Air. Very impressed with their stuff.

The Sandman-K is great. The Sandman-S can be hefty so if you're not doing FA fire (or mag dumps for the gram) I recommend the DA "Nomad-30."

Hansohn Brothers I wouldn't touch anything YHM with a 10-foot pole... especially if I have to pay for it.

Dan_S
08-26-2019, 08:44 PM
Hansohn Brothers I wouldn't touch anything YHM with a 10-foot pole... especially if I have to pay for it.

Why?

Clark Jackson
08-26-2019, 08:56 PM
Why?

To be nice? Shady QA/QC.

Dan_S
08-27-2019, 02:16 PM
To be nice? Shady QA/QC.

I know I don’t care about nice. Please elaborate. If you had a bad experience, I at least, would be very interested in the whole story.

Hansohn Brothers
08-27-2019, 04:06 PM
To be nice? Shady QA/QC.

That’s unusual, I haven’t had any quality issues. Can you elaborate exactly what the issue was?

Clark Jackson
08-27-2019, 09:25 PM
I know I don’t care about nice. Please elaborate. If you had a bad experience, I at least, would be very interested in the whole story.

I don't have one of their suppressors, but I have run into a few of their other products.

Personally, I would not recommend a YHM product to anyone I care about because of their design choices and what I see as QA/QC issues. If a company makes a less-than AR pattern rifle, I am not interested in their suppressors especially in a saturated market.

If you've had awesome experiences with YHM that's awesome. Maybe they have the suppressor game figured out and everyone else just hasn't noticed yet.

I'm just not willing to roll the dice based on what I've seen (and heard) especially with so many other viable and verifiable options out there.

Why risk a possibly janky product when there are known alternatives? It's the American way to just do better.

JRB
08-28-2019, 03:56 AM
I don't have one of their suppressors, but I have run into a few of their other products.

Personally, I would not recommend a YHM product to anyone I care about because of their design choices and what I see as QA/QC issues. If a company makes a less-than AR pattern rifle, I am not interested in their suppressors especially in a saturated market.

If you've had awesome experiences with YHM that's awesome. Maybe they have the suppressor game figured out and everyone else just hasn't noticed yet.

I'm just not willing to roll the dice based on what I've seen (and heard) especially with so many other viable and verifiable options out there.

Why risk a possibly janky product when there are known alternatives? It's the American way to just do better.

I mean no offense, but this reads like you're recommending against a Corvette because a friend of yours had a 1995 Cavalier that was a piece of crap, so all things GM suck and it's un-American to buy something inexpensive.

If you have genuine experience of any kind with a YHM Suppressor I'd be interested in hearing it. I have two friends with YHM suppressors, one a 556 Turbo-K that has spent its whole ~6k round count life on an 11.5in AR with a binary trigger, and had no issues. Another with a 5.56 Turbo on a pinned/welded 14.5in M4gery that has seen less vigorous usage, but still has had no issues. No problems with mounts, no problems period beyond the typical gas blowback inherent on DI AR's with suppressors.

Given the $200 tax involved and the wait time, I've noticed that any given company making suppressors tends to pay even more attention to QC/QA vs their Non-NFA accessories, etc.

rob_s
08-28-2019, 04:06 AM
Since this thread is about 7.62 suppressors, it'd be great to limit the discussion about a brand to that specific line of products. Or, if one simply can't help oneself, relate specific instances of QA/QC issues with another product or line of products.

LittleLebowski
08-28-2019, 06:20 AM
Since this thread is about 7.62 suppressors, it'd be great to limit the discussion about a brand to that specific line of products. Or, if one simply can't help oneself, relate specific instances of QA/QC issues with another product or line of products.

I really hope that YHM releases a Resonator K (.30). Their Turbo K (5.56) is selling like hotcakes and for good reason.

bravo7
08-28-2019, 08:46 AM
I have a couple of 7.62 Sakers for over 4 years now and have not experienced any problems to date. Although I will say that after using Surefire suppressors at work, my next one will be a SF.

LittleLebowski
08-28-2019, 08:48 AM
I have a couple of 7.62 Sakers for over 4 years now and have not experienced any problems to date. Although I will say that after using Surefire suppressors at work, my next one will be a SF.

I've got two Sakers, they're much better now that I converted them to KeyMo (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/suppressor-adapters/key-mo-adapter-for-silencerco-suppressors-prod98653.aspx). I thought that the MAAD mounts were fine until they locked up on me. Then SiCo couldn't answer phone nor email from me for months.

rob_s
08-28-2019, 10:10 AM
I really hope that YHM releases a Resonator K (.30). Their Turbo K (5.56) is selling like hotcakes and for good reason.

A 6" OAL QD Resonator-K would be pretty awesome, particularly if it came in around 12 oz.

I suppose if there was a way to convert it to KeyMo that would really make folks happy.

LittleLebowski
08-28-2019, 10:12 AM
A 6" OAL QD Resonator-K would be pretty awesome, particularly if it came in around 12 oz.

I suppose if there was a way to convert it to KeyMo that would really make folks happy.

I know you like bigger companies, but the Vox S is 12.4 oz with direct thread, 5.9", and KeyMo compatible.

Dan_S
09-04-2019, 09:30 AM

Gotcha.

Ain’t got no dog in this fight, just very curious after you made your original statement, as it does not coincide with what I’ve heard from others.

Clark Jackson
09-05-2019, 10:18 PM
Gotcha.

Ain’t got no dog in this fight, just very curious after you made your original statement, as it does not coincide with what I’ve heard from others.

+1 on the "no dog part." If others have it and it's the bee's knees then that's awesome for them. I'm still not buying. :)

I was just providing my opinion as I thought the thread was looking for it. I stand by my opinion that YHM is sub-par.

Clark Jackson
09-05-2019, 10:40 PM
I mean no offense, but this reads like you're recommending against a Corvette because a friend of yours had a 1995 Cavalier that was a piece of crap, so all things GM suck and it's un-American to buy something inexpensive.

If you have genuine experience of any kind with a YHM Suppressor I'd be interested in hearing it. I have two friends with YHM suppressors, one a 556 Turbo-K that has spent its whole ~6k round count life on an 11.5in AR with a binary trigger, and had no issues. Another with a 5.56 Turbo on a pinned/welded 14.5in M4gery that has seen less vigorous usage, but still has had no issues. No problems with mounts, no problems period beyond the typical gas blowback inherent on DI AR's with suppressors.

Given the $200 tax involved and the wait time, I've noticed that any given company making suppressors tends to pay even more attention to QC/QA vs their Non-NFA accessories, etc.

Critical thinking and deductive reasoning do not require me to physically possess something in order to form an educated opinion. Doesn't mean my opinion is right, but it sure doesn't mean you're right either.

Stating that I believe buying something "inexpensive" is "un-Amercian" is a pretty bold straw man. The American way is to demand better at the best price. What it is not is to demand "meh..." at the cheapest price. There is a difference.

Assuming a company will do an extra good job because the consumer has to spend $200 extra and wait for a long time is a weird assertion, no offense.

Side bar, and I know this isn't the "want to sell" thread, but I do have some "genuine experience of any kind" with Lorcins. I've seen them work a lot. How many would you like to order...? I'll even charge you an extra $200 and make you wait 14 months so you'll know the QA/QC is real good.

FWIW, I don't care what legal things you purchase with your hard earned dollars. To say otherwise would be un-American. But I have my opinion and since this thread was looking for those I decided to offer mine. I wasn't looking to convert those who have already made up their minds.

JRB
09-06-2019, 05:27 AM
Critical thinking and deductive reasoning do not require me to physically possess something in order to form an educated opinion. Doesn't mean my opinion is right, but it sure doesn't mean you're right either.

Stating that I believe buying something "inexpensive" is "un-Amercian" is a pretty bold straw man. The American way is to demand better at the best price. What it is not is to demand "meh..." at the cheapest price. There is a difference.

Assuming a company will do an extra good job because the consumer has to spend $200 extra and wait for a long time is a weird assertion, no offense.

Side bar, and I know this isn't the "want to sell" thread, but I do have some "genuine experience of any kind" with Lorcins. I've seen them work a lot. How many would you like to order...? I'll even charge you an extra $200 and make you wait 14 months so you'll know the QA/QC is real good.

FWIW, I don't care what legal things you purchase with your hard earned dollars. To say otherwise would be un-American. But I have my opinion and since this thread was looking for those I decided to offer mine. I wasn't looking to convert those who have already made up their minds.

Precision in language is important. That's why I started my repsonse how I did ('this reads like') - I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I was telling you what you had communicated to me with the way you said it.

Deduction is something that's done within the limits of the data and on the subject matter reflected in those data. Extrapolation, supposition, and assumptions are what's made outside of those data.
Nobody else here was talking about YHM's other products, or Lorcins, or anything else, strictly suppressors.

I've fired two different weapons with YHM suppressors, one many times, and I was impressed enough that I'll buy one when I 'can'... no pun intended. I shared that experience and didn't present it as anything that it wasn't. I believe the American way is to buy good stuff for a fair price with money earned for an honest job done. I try to spend my money earned on stuff made by other Americans. At least one YHM Turbo-K is in my future. I believe that it absolutely meets your standard of 'demanding the better for the best price' among a field of other sub $250 suppressor options, $1200+ Surefires, and everything else in between.

For a 30 cal option, the two frontrunners in my mind are the Energetic Vox-S and half of Dead Air Armament's catalog. If YHM makes a Resonator-K, that'll be a damn tempting option too.

Do you have any relevant suppressor experience to contribute?

rob_s
09-06-2019, 05:58 AM

So, then, no actual experience with YHM cans, 7.62 or otherwise?

I’m just trying to be clear.

Clark Jackson
09-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Do you have any relevant suppressor experience to contribute?

Yes. I like Surefire, Dead Air, and Silencerco. Where do I send my resume to make sure my experience is relevant enough to contribute my opinion?

Also, is this same line of questioning/opinion vetting being given to everyone who offered an opinion that did not directly support YHM?

Clark Jackson
09-06-2019, 08:23 PM
So, then, no actual experience with YHM cans, 7.62 or otherwise?

I’m just trying to be clear.

I thought I was clear in my previous posts.

I don't own a YHM can.

Are you only looking for opinions of people who own a YHM can, 7.62 or otherwise?

El Cid
09-06-2019, 09:39 PM

I don't own a YHM can.

Are you only looking for opinions of people who own a YHM can, 7.62 or otherwise?

I’m obviously not Rob, but he seems to be looking for input on 7.62 cans. Here at P-F most of us don’t trash a company or product we’ve never used. We prefer informed opinions to rumors.

rob_s
09-07-2019, 07:01 AM

I don't own a YHM can.

You weren’t clear actually, at all. Hence my post.

You just drone on and on and on about nothing, shitting in the thread, trolling everyone to respond to you.

It’d be great if a mod could just come delete all this bullshit from your first post and everyone (including me) that responded to you, since we have now finally uncovered the fact that you have zero relevant commentary.

ETA:
In case a mod is thinking of helping us out on this, there’s even a thread for it so that precious can continue to air his unvaluable opinions without mucking it up for the rest of us
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?35936-Random-posts-from-various-threads-that-don-t-add-value

Until that time I’ll have to just settle for the ignore button.

Clark Jackson
09-07-2019, 07:22 AM
I’m obviously not Rob, but he seems to be looking for input on 7.62 cans. Here at P-F most of us don’t trash a company or product we’ve never used. We prefer informed opinions to rumors.

I've never "trashed" a company or product I didn't have first hand knowledge of. I don't have brand loyalty just for brand loyalty's sake.

I provided an informed opinion. It was rejected. I promise I will not provide any more in this post, or probably many others.

I've learned my lesson. Here at P-F, most prefer if you do not provide an opinion (in threads asking for opinions), unless those opinions match their opinions.

StraitR
09-08-2019, 07:49 PM
I just swapped out the ASR flash hider and mount on my Omega to a Q Cherry Bomb and Plan B. It's definitely a superior system to the ASR. Simple direct thread now, with no locks and teeth to strip. I didn't shoot it a bunch, just enough to adjust for the zero shift, because it was hotter than hell today. I didn't really bear down on it when I tightened it, but it never backed off, and was easy to get off when done. The ASR was a PITA to get off almost every time.

I opted for the Q parts mostly for simplification (direct thread), weight savings (almost 3 ounces lighter at the muzzle, where it counts most), and it took about 5/8" off the OAL of the can/rifle combo (best I can tell). The weight difference was noticeable. Overall, I'm both impressed and very happy with the Q bits.

Thanks to @Hansohn Brothers (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=12052) for the Cherry Bomb. Would have grabbed both from them, but they were out of stock on the Omega Plan B when I looked. I'll likely pick up a 5/8x24 Cherry Bomb for my Tikka T3x CTR just to simplify things (instead of swapping to the SiCo direct thread mount), as well as a Omega 7.62 end cap. Will likely wait to see what's what on Black Friday. :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48702645372_e6a05a2efd_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48702645512_85bbc1b48b_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48702139308_8ef78bb248_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48702476611_ddeb4a2d3e_c.jpg

jc000
09-26-2019, 01:46 PM
Are you losing THAT much sound reduction with the K over the S or L? I've got a 12.5" 5.56 rifle that I'm considering slapping a K on but am also considering a can for a 9" .300BLK. With the 9" barrel I may open to a longer can if the greater sound reduction was worth it. I mean first and foremost I'm buying the silencers to make my rifles quieter. Is the K quiet enough?

jandbj
09-26-2019, 03:34 PM
I just ordered a Liberty Infiniti X.

Thankfully my dealer is local and I’ll get a chance to shoot it while it’s in NFA jail. Hoping this 7.7oz sweetheart is perfect for my Ruger GSR. Fingers crossed.

nate89
09-26-2019, 05:22 PM
Are you losing THAT much sound reduction with the K over the S or L? I've got a 12.5" 5.56 rifle that I'm considering slapping a K on but am also considering a can for a 9" .300BLK. With the 9" barrel I may open to a longer can if the greater sound reduction was worth it. I mean first and foremost I'm buying the silencers to make my rifles quieter. Is the K quiet enough?

In my opinion only, the Sandman-K is not the ideal suppressor for 300 blackout. I have an S and a K, and the K lives on a 13.7 5.56 most of the time, where it does very well. The difference to me between the S and K on blackout is significant; the S sounds pretty good, the K is really loud, even louder than my Omega 9k. The sandman line seems to do better on bigger rounds like 308 and especially 300 win mag, but blackout sound better through the sig cans, the omega, Q cans, etc. to me.

The big advantage of the Sandman line is they are absolute tanks-I've shot back to back magpul D50s with one on the gun with no problems, but that extra weight and durability is sort of lost with blackout: it just doesn't need it.

JRB
09-29-2019, 07:51 AM
Does anyone here have any direct experience with the Dead Air Wolverine, particularly vs other 7.62 cans?

I've got a few AK's and I love the idea of one can to run on them all (no Tolkien intended) but I'd much rather buy one can that works well on other 7.62 options without any sacrifices to make it AK-friendly.

Specifically - assuming the concentric muzzle thread issue is addressed and mounts are available, is there any real advantage to using the Wolverine? Or would the Wolverine work just as well as, say, a Energetic Vox or Sandman S overall across the spectrum of AR/AK/bolt gun duties?