PDA

View Full Version : Support-hand snub nose practice day: thoughts and questions

oregon45
08-09-2019, 09:34 PM
Decided that today I would work support-hand (my left hand) exclusively with my newly-acquired S&W M640-1 and my S&W 34-1 22lr. Shooting was done on a B-8 repair center at 3 yards, on a timer, from low ready. Ammo used in the 640-1 was Blazer 130gr FMJ 38spl.

The guns:

https://i.imgur.com/19Xdwru.jpg?1

Warming up with the 34-1 was a joy--no recoil to speak of and my scores were consistently 60 with only the X-count being different between strings. Par time for 6-shots was 5-seconds, and I made that time on 6 out of the 8 cylinders' full I shot. My biggest challenge was getting the sights aligned for the first shot; once I had that alignment, subsequent shots were quick and simple. Part of this I think is that I lack a natural point of aim with my support hand because I so infrequently train with it. Other than training more, are there any techniques for building a NPOA with the support hand? In my case I am right-handed and right-eye dominant, and when shooting support hand I tend to cant the revolver to the right about 15 degrees, with my wrist about in line with my sternum when my arm is at full extension.

The 640-1 was more of a challenge. The gun has the grips it came to me with, and they soon will be replaced by a set of boot grips. I shot 45 rounds, and my scores averaged 47 points. Here is a slightly better than average, but representative group:

https://i.imgur.com/WeT2ZNn.jpg?1

Unsurprisingly, the big challenge with the 640-1 was getting the gun down out of recoil and back on target. I found that the gun recoiled up and to the left, and, coming out of recoil, I was pulling the gun down and to the right while pressing the trigger and aligning the sights, causing my groups to be strung horizontally. Had I slowed down and formed a complete sight picture before the trigger press I likely could have ameliorated that stringing, but I chose to emphasize speed given the purpose of this gun. Even with that emphasis, I only made my par time on 4 of the 9 cylinders' full I shot, with my first shot being by far the slowest.

I found the 640 far easier to shoot than my Airweight and Airlight S&W's, but still after 45-rounds (and not having shot anything with appreciable recoil for over 6 months) I found my hand a bit sore. If I ever take a full-day snub-nose class I likely will run Federal 148gr wadcutters.

All in all a useful practice session, and I intend to make it part of my regular routine to work these snub's with my support hand. Any advice on best practices for doing so?

Lester Polfus
08-10-2019, 12:51 AM
I've been using a grip strength trainer designed for guitar players to rehab an old left hand injury. I've not done any WHO shooting in over a year, but decided to give it a whirl the other day. I was pleased to find my shooting wasn't that bad at all. I don't have the trainer handy, but if you're interested, I can get the deets to you.

Dagga Boy
08-10-2019, 08:21 AM
With the snubs, don’t overdo them in live fire. Break things up in small strings. The most effective practice I get is doing Claude Werner drills where I fire a round, open and spin the cylinder and press again and repeat. A 20-25 round snub session gets three to four times the presses with basically a self done ball and dummy drill.

Hi-Point Aficionado
08-10-2019, 08:21 AM
With wheelguns, I mostly do HeadHunter-style ball and dummy. Fire a shot, pop it open, spin the cylinder, stop it without looking, click'er shut, fire another shot. My very limited ammo budget and often short on time range trips leave me making choices. So single-hand shooting tends to be very focused on the most important first shot with as many reps as possible and very rarely with extended strings of fire which would burn more ammo faster for a lower Effort:Payout ratio.

The ball and dummy gives a lot of presentations from ready and extra trigger pulls/sights tracks without extra recoil hammering one wrist to fatigue me. Spent a lot of my youth exercising use of my left, non-dominant, eye and use it when shooting lefty. No problem with focus and may even usually have a crisper front so doing. But I am worse about letting the front sight ride a but proud of the rear and far more often dump shots high if I neglect WHO for more than a couple range trips.

Also like to shoot freestyle lefty now and then. Support adds some stability to build confidence before going weak-hand-only. But mostly in case I ever take injury to my dominant arm and wind up temporarily sinistral.