PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92FS fixed front sight painting

Number0neGun
08-08-2019, 06:29 AM
Thinking of painting mine. Are there any specific paints you guys like to use for this sort of thing? Techniques for a clean paint job would be cool too. As well as non abrasive front sight paint removers for if I screw it up.

I was thinking of going ghetto and just using fingernail polish. White base, orange over it.

Thoughts?

CraigS
08-08-2019, 06:38 AM
That will work. I use a round toothpick to apply the paint. Nail polish might be a little hard to remove so I use Testors model paint from Hobby Lobby. They have flat (for the white) and flourescent (for the color). It takes a really tiny drop of paint on the toothpick so it might be a good idea to drop a couple dots on another object. Be sure to hold the gun so that the surface the dot is on is horizontal. Nice thing is that the slight drilling that forms the OEM dots, it's easy to get a nice round dot. If your dot isn't quite what you want, wipe it off immediately, and try again.

spinmove_
08-08-2019, 07:12 AM
I forget what brand of paint that I use, but it’s a durable matte finish crafts paint that’s meant to be in the elements and go on metal (among other things). I just alcohol swab the surface, let dry, and then paint using a fine modeling paint brush. I usually go with two coats on top of a coat of white. I’ll take a picture of my 92 later for reference.

Still need to get the Pepperoni rear on it too. Probably see if I can’t do that this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared
08-08-2019, 07:28 AM
I’ve done several myself. I degrease with alcohol or the like. Normally I just let the original white dot be the base and I put whatever color I want on top. Orange nail polish is a favorite, along with some garish orange and green colors I’ve picked up at Hobby Lobby. Add a Wilson Pepperoni rear and you’re in pretty good shape honestly.

Hambo
08-08-2019, 07:36 AM
https://rangemaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2019-08_RFTS-Newsletter.pdf

I started painting mine after I saw Tom's pistol a few years ago. Lately mine have been painted with bright orange model paint with no special prep. Range guns get repainted a couple times a year. Carry gun every few years.

spinmove_
08-08-2019, 08:36 AM
https://rangemaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2019-08_RFTS-Newsletter.pdf

I started painting mine after I saw Tom's pistol a few years ago. Lately mine have been painted with bright orange model paint with no special prep. Range guns get repainted a couple times a year. Carry gun every few years.

If the option is readily and easily available, I still prefer a fiber optic front and blacked out rear. That said, on J-frames and 92s, orange paint is about as perfect as it gets.

FreedomFries
08-08-2019, 11:57 AM
I just cleaned with alcohol and put Birchwood Casey fluorescent red sight paint on it with a toothpick. It is kind of an orange red.

vcdgrips
08-08-2019, 12:06 PM
FWIW

1. Degrease with some acetone based fingernail polish remover.
2. Apply 1 or 2 thin coats of cheap bright orange finger nail polish.

I have historically been partial to "Hard as Nails-Hot Tamale"

JonInWA
08-08-2019, 12:51 PM
FWIW

1. Degrease with some acetone based fingernail polish remover.
2. Apply 1 or 2 thin coats of cheap bright orange finger nail polish.

I have historically been partial to "Hard as Nails-Hot Tamale"

Which raises several questions on several different levels....

Best, Jon

MGW
08-08-2019, 01:20 PM
I use the butt end of a drill bit to place a perfect sized dot of paint. I don't remember what size but it needs to be a little smaller than dot you are painting over.

Number0neGun
08-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Thanks, guys!

Also, I already use a Wilson rear sight. Way ahead of you. :cool:

But I think I'll try some automotive paint, and dab it on with the toothpick, as was suggested earlier. You guys are awesome.

What I think I'm gonna do, is actually only paint the dot, and leave the black outline, because I like how the black contrasts against bright backgrounds, but the white/orange will be easier to see against blacks/greys/etc.

beenalongtime
08-09-2019, 01:33 AM
On the Beretta forum, one recommendation I am planning on trying, is put black paint on the front of my stainless slide, then a white dot, that I will then put orange (Testor's fluorescent) on.

CraigS
08-09-2019, 07:04 AM
Exactly what I do. All one has to do is sight on various objects around your work area. Something white and something dark to see how it works out.

Medusa
08-09-2019, 11:33 AM
On the Beretta forum, one recommendation I am planning on trying, is put black paint on the front of my stainless slide, then a white dot, that I will then put orange (Testor's fluorescent) on.

I’d like to see a pic, if you’re willing, when you’ve done this.

Malamute
08-09-2019, 11:53 AM
ive been using nail polish for several years. My daily carry is pocket carried. I remove and redo the paint as needed, maybe every 9 months or so as the top corners wear or chip. Nail polish comes off very easily with acetone (nail polish remover). I degrease with the acetone before applying the polish. Walmart had small bottles of acetone in the nail polish section for a buck or two.

The brightest ive found is Salon Perfect Traffic Cone over a white base coat. I only do one top coat, i want the white base coat to have best effect of brightening the orange. I havent seen any down side to only on coat, if it chips, it generally goes to blued steel.

I do my carbine sights also, I do a daily skunk patrol around my place at dusk and am still amazed at how well the nail polish shows up in poor light. Plain iron sights pretty well disappear at dusk. The fiber optic sights ive seen go dark and useless long before the orange painted ones do. I have no idea why people go to as much expense and trouble as they do to get fiber optic sights installed, they just dont seem all that spectacular to me.

spinmove_
08-09-2019, 11:58 AM
ive been using nail polish for several years. My daily carry is pocket carried. I remove and redo the paint as needed, maybe every 9 months or so as the top corners wear or chip. Nail polish comes off very easily with acetone (nail polish remover). I degrease with the acetone before applying the polish. Walmart had small bottles of acetone in the nail polish section for a buck or two.

The brightest ive found is Salon Perfect Traffic Cone over a white base coat. I only do one top coat, i want the white base coat to have best effect of brightening the orange. I havent seen any down side to only on coat, if it chips, it generally goes to blued steel.

I do my carbine sights also, I do a daily skunk patrol around my place at dusk and am still amazed at how well the nail polish shows up in poor light. Plain iron sights pretty well disappear at dusk. The fiber optic sights ive seen go dark and useless long before the orange painted ones do. I have no idea why people go to as much expense and trouble as they do to get fiber optic sights installed, they just dont seem all that spectacular to me.

Red fiber or green fiber?

Malamute
08-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Red.

If green is better, Id be interested to see it side by side with the bright orange polish, but even if comparable, that doesnt negate the potential fragility of fiber optics that many mention breaking. The polish goes on most things pretty much without issue or cost.

claymore504
08-09-2019, 12:43 PM
I have painted many M&P factory fron sights. I clean the front sight first with alcohol. Then use Testers model paint, neon orange. I apply the paint using model paint brushes. They are super tiny and get the drops of paint neatly in the front sight recess. The paint has held up for years. I will get a picture on my M2.0 5 inch 9mm and post it.

spinmove_
08-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Red.

If green is better, Id be interested to see it side by side with the bright orange polish, but even if comparable, that doesnt negate the potential fragility of fiber optics that many mention breaking. The polish goes on most things pretty much without issue or cost.

I’m a HUGE fan of green fiber. One such benefit, to my eyes, is that it disappears in low light later than red. I’ve also not experienced any such fragility so long as I install the fiber correctly. Huge fan of fiber optic front, blacked out rear, and serrations on both.

I’ve also found, again with my eyes, that if it’s too dark to see my sights I generally have a really hard time PIDing a threat. I then employ a light source which allows me to see my sights and the target.

TOTS
08-09-2019, 04:23 PM
I did two sights with https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007KMUM9U?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title (Fluorescent orange model paint) and a paintbrush from Michael’s craft store; my Dan Wesson Valor had a dimple where a white ring surrounds the tritium. I used the finest paint brush I could find and hand painted the white to make an orange dot. This turned out almost perfect. The P229 night sights have a clear layer overlaying this divot that I painted over top of. Looks way more janky than the Valor (which looks factory). But both are usable and I like the poor man’s HD sights more than painting the whole blade orange which I did for multiple years prior. You can get away with a little target fixation up close as the orange dot still shows up in the foreground. The rnds will hit right under the dot up to 13-15 yds for me. Farther than that and I transition to the top of the blade for POI.

Ivantheterrible
08-10-2019, 06:33 AM
For the Beretta 92fs or M9, the toothpick method works great in filling the front dot with paint of choice. My 56 year old eyes prefer fluorescent green or yellow.

spinmove_
08-10-2019, 07:54 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190810/a5e33b389d51afccbb173c2171912b05.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190810/0e01859e1f0b3b427dc86c587c90e700.jpg