PDA

View Full Version : Machete attack caught on video -- Austell, GA

critter
08-02-2019, 09:12 AM
Well, here's an idiot from my neck of the woods just a couple miles away across the town line.

Michete road rage attack (https://www.newsweek.com/machete-road-rage-atlanta-1451784)

TL;DR

Guy didn't go quickly enough at traffic light. Disturbed Dipshit lays on the horn, then follows guy into Texaco station where argument ensues. During the argument DD attacks and then gets punched in the face DD then runs to his car and grabs a machete from his trunk and then - what you see on the video. Attack ends when Guy's girlfriend jumps on DD's back.

Dipshit drops his Walmart employee smock and emp ID during the attack. He was later apprehended at the Walmart.

Another version of the story has DD lying in wait until Guy exits Texaco, then confronts him, gets punched in the face, etc. etc...

Interesting tidbit from the end of the article:

Machetes are increasingly popular as the weapon of choice in road rage incidents: ....[goes on to list a few machete attacks]

Wheeler
08-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Road Rage incidents that result in violent confrontations are rarely due to the actions of one party.

Duke
08-02-2019, 09:43 AM
There’s another fuel station not far away. Find it.

Serious. If weird ass driver follows you to where you’re going...go somewhere else And don’t get out of the car unless you want weird ass things to happen

Old Man Winter
08-02-2019, 10:37 AM
Machete man is lucky someone at the gas pumps didn't have a gun.

ranger
08-02-2019, 12:33 PM
This is Atlanta - most people had a gun in their console or glovebox.

The most dangerous place in Atlanta is a gas station - there is a violent incident at a gas station on the news almost every day. I need to get an EV!

Seriously, I watch my fuel level and make sure I get gas in a safer part of Atlanta - in other words, ways outside the perimeter!

RJ
08-02-2019, 12:43 PM

The most dangerous place in Atlanta is a gas station - there is a violent incident at a gas station on the news almost every day. I need to get an EV!

Seriously, I watch my fuel level and make sure I get gas in a safer part of Atlanta - in other words, ways outside the perimeter!

I either refueled in Marietta or ignored the gas gauge if I got near the Airport. I distinctly did not enjoy the one time I stopped for Gas near East Point. Company can pay the fuel surcharge, as far as I was concerned.

JHC
08-02-2019, 12:47 PM

That is NO exaggeration. It might be understated. ;) The early AM local news coverage of those events is unreal. I'll be walking past heading out the door to work and overhear the broadcast and ask my wife, "Are they repeating that story from yesterday?" and she'll be like "NO, this is a new one."

Zincwarrior
08-02-2019, 01:01 PM
Whats up with gas stations there?

Greg
08-02-2019, 01:08 PM
Any boxing fan will remember Vernon Forrest being killed at a gas station near Hotlanta

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Forrest

At about 11:00 pm EDT on July 25, 2009, Forrest stopped at a gas station in the Atlanta neighborhood of Mechanicsville.[11] With him was his 11-year-old godson. As the boy went inside the gas station, Forrest went to the back of his car to add air to a low tire. As this occurred, a man robbed him at gunpoint and fled. Forrest, who was armed, went after the man and shots were exchanged. After a short distance, Forrest gave up the chase and began talking to a second man. It was this man that shot Forrest seven to eight times in the back. According to police, the shooter and a second person left the scene in a red Pontiac.[12] Forrest died at the scene and the death was ruled a homicide. Atlanta Police would arrest and later charge 25-year-old Jquante Crews, 20-year-old Demario Ware and 30-year-old Charman Sinkfield for his murder. It is believed that Sinkfield was the shooter, Ware was the robber, and Crews was the driver.[13] Crews and Ware are serving life sentences. (Georgia Department of Corrections). On October 28, 2016, Charman Sinkfield was sentenced to life without parole.[14]

Hambo
08-02-2019, 01:11 PM

It's not just ATL. Unless you live in a place where everybody knows everybody, if you spend a little time sitting and observing you'll find all kinds of shit going on while most people are oblivious.

critter
08-02-2019, 01:13 PM

Probably similar to any other big city (though downtown Atlanta proper is minuscule compared to other large cities). Depends on the part of town. The closer you get to the center of the Leftist Paradise, the more enriched the diversity becomes.

Gas stations are a haven for aggressive panhandlers in some areas.. "yo, man.. I got hit by an asteroid.. I need gas money... gimme a dolla." Or groups of people just standing around, loitering, selling whatever -- trouble generally finds them through no fault of their own, of course.

blues
08-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Gas stations in many areas are crap magnets...not just in urban sprawl.

"Easy in, easy out" is a lure for predators, especially when the unwary allow their guard to drop while their mind is occupied with getting their credit cards out, or filling the tank, etc.

ranger
08-02-2019, 02:01 PM
One challenge in Atlanta is the "sliders" where someone enters an unlocked car on the passenger side and then steals purses, etc. or steals car itself - seems like often with a small child inside. Police had arrested multiple "slider rings" but the trend always comes back.

Borderland
08-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Machete man is lucky someone at the gas pumps didn't have a gun.

People carry guns around here. Lots of them. Good way to get shot.

RJ
08-02-2019, 02:26 PM
It's not just ATL. Unless you live in a place where everybody knows everybody, if you spend a little time sitting and observing you'll find all kinds of shit going on while most people are oblivious.

This.

Gas stations are where it finally dawned on me how useful a J frame or other snubby in the pocket could be. I’m generally waiting for the pump to click off with uh my hands in my pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Man Winter
08-02-2019, 04:08 PM
One challenge in Atlanta is the "sliders" where someone enters an unlocked car on the passenger side and then steals purses, etc. or steals car itself - seems like often with a small child inside. Police had arrested multiple "slider rings" but the trend always comes back.

DMV's need to add a how to fuel your ride without getting jacked section to the drivers licensing process.

fatdog
08-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Not that they are immune from this stuff by any means, in some locations probably worse, but I only take fuel at the major truckstops, Love's, Pilot, when I am in or very near urban areas. My theory, and to some extent my personal perception over time is that the density of people and extra space around pumps/islands is a put off to some of the hard cases. The panhandlers not so much. I also think that the management at those locations is more attuned to what is going on in their lots than your average mom and pop gas station.

KellyinAvon
08-02-2019, 05:49 PM

I prefer OWB or IWB to glovebox/console carry. Maybe it's an Indiana thing.

ranger
08-02-2019, 06:03 PM
I prefer OWB or IWB to glovebox/console carry. Maybe it's an Indiana thing.

That was tongue in cheek but unfortunately accurate......

KellyinAvon
08-02-2019, 06:15 PM
That was tongue in cheek but unfortunately accurate......

Tongue in cheek, but unfortunately accurate? I may have to use that one. Kind of like "sad but true" but different.

Totem Polar
08-02-2019, 06:42 PM
We had a machete killing at a downtown gas station in Spokane in October, and some lady got her arm chopped off in March of this year. And this is a pretty mellow city.

blues
08-02-2019, 06:48 PM
https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article265241.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/image-2-for-the-ticket-25-11-10-gallery-443205670.jpg

"Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire!"

RevolverRob
08-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Was another machete attack at a CTA station earlier this year.

For me I get gas at Costco. One it’s cheaper. Two the element of people you are trying to avoid, don’t usually shop at Costco. Even the Costco that is ‘hood adjacent has an entirely different class of customer than the BP that is across the street. People who make a living robbing people don’t tend to buy Costco memberships.

When on the road, big truckstops do tend to be the go to.

Drang
08-02-2019, 07:57 PM
Road Rage incidents that result in violent confrontations are rarely due to the actions of one party.

Washington State Patrol used to do "road rage patrols", uniformed Trooper in unmarked cars. They'd watch for unsafe/poor driving habits that were known to cause road rage, and pull those drivers over and cite or warn them, as appropriate. This being well over 20 years ago, before cell pones were ubiquitous, sudden, unsignaled lane changes, tailgating, and the like were the most common infractions.
(One of the Troopers assigned to this duty came and gave the obligatory "Anti-DUI" presentation to my company at Lewis back in 97 or 98.)
(Christ, typing that made me feel old.)

HCM
08-02-2019, 10:47 PM

This ^^^^

Hambo
08-03-2019, 04:40 AM

Again, that happens everywhere. Cars have door locks for a reason, and they should be used at all times unless you're getting in or out.

RJ
08-03-2019, 06:05 AM
Good info in this thread. As some of you know I was on the road uh sightseeing criss-crossing the US for a couple of years...Definitely learned to keep my head on a swivel at gas stops. Costco is good bet, yes. But sometimes you get off the road and have fewer choices...so you deal with it.

I gradually learned to just keep looking up and around and watching for "unusual" behaviour. Hard to describe what that is. People walking to and from their cars to the pay counter at a normal pace? Fine. But if they weren't quite walking to/from, or were kinda looking up from their cell phone as they ambled over to the side for a smoke or whatever, yeah, I'd keep an eye out.

Same for anyone sitting at the curb away from the pumps, there's no real legit reason I could think of for anyone to be at a 7-11 sitting on the curb facing the pedestrian traffic. I'd give them a wide berth if I had to go into the store.

But pay at the pump has it's issues also; we had a couple instances where (and I'm not sure) but our CC was flagged after gas stops. One we are not sure but possibly was a skimmer. I never really knew because we were 300 miles away at the end of that day. I do end up looking at the reader most times now, especially if it's unfamiliar area (not so much these days) and tend to use the more centrally located pumps if possible, and not the ones on the end.

But yeah, for sure stay away from Machete's, if possible. :)

Wheeler
08-03-2019, 07:49 AM
Washington State Patrol used to do "road rage patrols", uniformed Trooper in unmarked cars. They'd watch for unsafe/poor driving habits that were known to cause road rage, and pull those drivers over and cite or warn them, as appropriate. This being well over 20 years ago, before cell pones were ubiquitous, sudden, unsignaled lane changes, tailgating, and the like were the most common infractions.
(One of the Troopers assigned to this duty came and gave the obligatory "Anti-DUI" presentation to my company at Lewis back in 97 or 98.)
(Christ, typing that made me feel old.)

Georgia passed a law a few years ago requiring those folks who tend to get in the left lane, set their cruise control, and stay there for thirty miles to move over when another vehicle overtakes them, regardless of relatives speeds and speed limits. It was an attempt to do something about the leading cause of road rage. I've yet to see a single cop enforce it, people still dawdle in the left lane, many times with state troopers riding behind or beside them, and folks still have road rage.

RJ
08-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Georgia passed a law a few years ago requiring those folks who tend to get in the left lane, set their cruise control, and stay there for thirty miles to move over when another vehicle overtakes them, regardless of relatives speeds and speed limits.

Here in Florida we call those people "Retirees". ;)

ranger
08-03-2019, 08:38 AM

Here in Georgia we call them "damn Florida tags"

blues
08-03-2019, 09:03 AM
Here in Georgia we call them "damn Florida tags"

Floridiots seems to be the term used around these parts.

(Of course, I'm known as a halfback, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.)

Hambo
08-03-2019, 10:29 AM

That's not what I call them.

miller_man
08-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Pretty much grew up in that little city of Austell, 23yrs there. IT IS outside the perimeter - by a good bit. Couldn't leave that place fast enough.

critter
08-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Pretty much grew up in that little city of Austell, 23yrs there. IT IS outside the perimeter - by a good bit. Couldn't leave that place fast enough.

I'm over by Sweet Water Creek State Park... when I moved here back in the early 90's, the entire area looked just like the park -- a few houses in a massive forest of beauty. If I saw another car on the road, I usually knew who it was. Ten apartment complexes, four massive subdivisions, and forty industrial parks later (which actually may not be the exaggeration intended) -- forest is history, traffic is utterly ridiculous, and crime has sky rocketed.

Gotta love progress. I still haven't decided where I'm going next -- almost certainly to the mountains somewhere relatively sparsely populated. Too bad I'm not all that good at writing manifestos.