PDA

View Full Version : Get your GP100 on at AIM

Lon
07-26-2019, 04:44 PM
https://aimsurplus.com/le-trade-in-ruger-gp100-dao-357-magnum-revolver/?utm_source=AIM+Surplus+Main+List&utm_campaign=8f5df4e06a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_02_08_01_58_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-8f5df4e06a-19608493&mc_cid=8f5df4e06a&mc_eid=256553db86

RevolverRob
07-26-2019, 04:54 PM
Them’s the good ones!

Half-lug, DAO, stainless. Best 4” K-Frame never made.

Seriously, my half-lug 4” GP100 fits in 4” HB K-frame holsters. It is the nicest carrying 4” Mid-sized .357 ever made, in my opinion. Better than an L-Frame or full lug GP100, better than a 4” K-Frame. Certainly more durable than any Smith or Colt.

RJ
07-26-2019, 04:58 PM
I should not have clicked on that. I should *not* have clicked on that.

Lon
07-26-2019, 05:08 PM

Either way, you’re welcome.

RJ
07-26-2019, 05:19 PM
It's weird.

Ever since I returned the Ruger New Model Blackhawk that I received as a gift back to the person who gave it to me, I have been occasionally looking at the Ruger web site for stainless revolver offerings in .357...because...reasons.

There is just...something...I dunno...substantial? about a steel revolver...eh maybe a 1771...? It's kinda...purty. It's crazy I know and probably makes no sense. Who in the heck would buy one of these these days...

RevolverRob
07-26-2019, 05:23 PM
I should not have clicked on that. I should *not* have clicked on that.

Do it.

If you decide you don’t like it, I guarantee you can sell it away again.

If I didn’t have two Night Cobras on layaway right now...thanks you enabling a-holes, I’d buy one of these myself.

RJ
07-26-2019, 05:24 PM
Do it.

If I didn’t have two Night Cobras on layaway right now...thanks you enabling a-holes, I’d buy one of these myself.

Get thee behind me Satan. :cool:

Totem Polar
07-26-2019, 05:29 PM
I’m with Rob and others on this; pick of the litter, in many ways. Where’s the guy wanting a practical revolver? This thread just ended that one. :D

Everything you need, nothing you don’t.

Anyone who buys this can PM me for instructions on a quick trigger part smoothing. Done.

03RN
07-26-2019, 05:45 PM
Came here to post this.

I'm working a double tomorrow... Tempting

mmc45414
07-26-2019, 06:47 PM
Came here to post this.
Me2!
Considering I just spent money on some other stuff (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37675-What-Bulk-Bullet-For-300BO&p=907402&viewfull=1#post907402) I would appreciate it if youse guys would buy all of these...

OTOH, I am pretty much local and could go there for showroom pickup... Nah, please buy them!

awp_101
07-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Who in the heck would buy one of these these days...
Not me. I bought two last year and I'm trying like heck not to buy one of the linked ones as #3...

https://live.staticflickr.com/4661/39181112085_1a03713fd6.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22Girzg)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32848088927_1ce49ff5fd.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/S3F3qP)

feudist
07-26-2019, 06:51 PM
Do it.

I'm not even jealous I'm so impressed.

Lon
07-26-2019, 07:11 PM
On a side note, I was in a 3 day class with Bryan, the owner of AIM. He’s a stand up dude and a pretty good shooter. For you local guys, he’s got plans to expand the showroom to have more awesome stuff on display to fingerbang.

Jared
07-26-2019, 07:24 PM
A really good friend of mine has something really close to these. His is blues and has a hammer spur. God I love that revolver. He won’t sell it to me either. And I don’t need this as I’m actively hunting a pair of new Berettas now.....

Anybody wanna buy a kidney?

Olim9
07-26-2019, 07:28 PM
I keep asking this whenever I’m eyeballing a revolver but just how expensive would it to install dovetail fibers on these?

RevolverRob
07-26-2019, 07:46 PM
I keep asking this whenever I’m eyeballing a revolver but just how expensive would it to install dovetail fibers on these?

The front sight is pinned in on these models, so it is really a matter of finding a pinned front sight you like.

The Gemini Small Wonder Sights aren't really made for 4" guns, but you can get pretty close with their short/tall heights, just figure out how they hit with your ammo of choice and buy the sight that works. https://www.geminicustoms.com/small-wonder-sights/

45dotACP
07-26-2019, 10:54 PM
Came here to post this.

I'm working a double tomorrow... TemptingThe way I see it, I've got three 12 hour shifts in a row coming up...if these are still there then I guess it's just God's plan.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hi-Point Aficionado
07-26-2019, 11:37 PM
No chance I'll have the money in time. Some find themselves a drunken, broken-hearted hobo over a woman. Missing out on this will be my end.

feudist
07-27-2019, 11:56 AM
How do GP100s respond to action work? Specifically from the techniques in Iowegan's book?

Can you get K-frame tuneability without going to say, Gemini Custom or Lou Ciamillo?

Olim9
07-27-2019, 12:04 PM
The front sight is pinned in on these models, so it is really a matter of finding a pinned front sight you like.

The Gemini Small Wonder Sights aren't really made for 4" guns, but you can get pretty close with their short/tall heights, just figure out how they hit with your ammo of choice and buy the sight that works. https://www.geminicustoms.com/small-wonder-sights/

I looked at the Bowen Classic website since I would like a fiber front and an adjustable rear, this gun isn’t pinned in the rear so I would have to get it done by a custom smith correct?

awp_101
07-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Yes these are a fixed rear sight aka hog trough so any rear sight changes will involve machine work.

Shoresy
07-27-2019, 12:19 PM
On a side note, I was in a 3 day class with Bryan, the owner of AIM. He’s a stand up dude and a pretty good shooter. For you local guys, he’s got plans to expand the showroom to have more awesome stuff on display to fingerbang.

Nice! That's one of my favorite parts of going in there.

Borderland
07-27-2019, 12:25 PM
It needs adjustable sights if it's going to be used as a range gun.

Otherwise disregard.

paherne
07-27-2019, 12:30 PM
Came here to post this.

I'm working a double tomorrow... Tempting

Hah! I relate gun prices to how many OT shifts I would have to work to pay for one. Funny.

beenalongtime
07-27-2019, 12:30 PM
Looks like an SP101 frame with a GP100 cylinder.

BehindBlueI's
07-27-2019, 01:21 PM
I looked at the Bowen Classic website since I would like a fiber front and an adjustable rear, this gun isn’t pinned in the rear so I would have to get it done by a custom smith correct?

At that point, why not buy a Match Champion?

Olim9
07-27-2019, 01:31 PM
At that point, why not buy a Match Champion?

That’s actually a good point. I was thinking the DAO ones would be cheaper but you’re right. How does a GP100 conceal AIWB if anyone knows?

Lester Polfus
07-27-2019, 01:34 PM
That’s actually a good point. I was thinking the DAO ones would be cheaper but you’re right. How does a GP100 conceal AIWB if anyone knows?

It wouldn't be my first choice. If you put the compact Letts style grips on it, it might make it easier, but it's a pretty big gun.

Lester Polfus
07-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Does anybody know if a simple hammer swap will restore them to DA/SA function?

Asking for a friend...

Olim9
07-27-2019, 01:38 PM
It wouldn't be my first choice. If you put the compact Letts style grips on it, it might make it easier, but it's a pretty big gun.

I was afraid of that. I can barely carry a G17 and a G19 prints at times for me but I think right now is time for me to try out revolvers. Someone at the range let me dryfire their Wiley Clapp Ruger and it was amazing. How would a Model 64 compare to a Glock 19 carry wise? I have no frame of reference with revolvers.

BehindBlueI's
07-27-2019, 02:18 PM
I was afraid of that. I can barely carry a G17 and a G19 prints at times for me but I think right now is time for me to try out revolvers. Someone at the range let me dryfire their Wiley Clapp Ruger and it was amazing. How would a Model 64 compare to a Glock 19 carry wise? I have no frame of reference with revolvers.

Was the WC a GP100 or a SP101? They come in both. If it was the GP100, a Match Champion is going to be pretty same-same other than barrel length. The OEM grip on the MC is not going to be conducive to concealment of any sort, but as mentioned compact grips are available. You can get them through Ruger shop or Altamont.

The only revolver I ever AIWB carry is an LCR, so I'm not much help there.

03RN
07-27-2019, 02:50 PM

I find a k frame in an aiwb holster is significantly more comfortable than a Glock. Yes the cylinder is a little wider but the shape of the gun makes it easier to conceal. The barrel and frame are thinner. The grip is also a shape that conceals well.

mmc45414
07-27-2019, 03:17 PM
These guns are (IMO) desirable because they are 4" fixed sight, not sure that was ever a standard item?

Skinny barrel is another thing that is not currently offered, DA is easy enough to convert but OOB here, and they even come with the smaller grips.

But I just bought a rifle and a reloading press...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BillSWPA
07-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Do Ruger fixed sights on these guns tend to shoot to the point of aim?

I recall that a couple of rental Ruger single actions were quite off, but I believe may recall a rental SP101 that shot close to point of aim. Both were many years ago.

What have others experienced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rex G
07-27-2019, 03:35 PM

A G19/G17 has a squared-off, protruding rear part of the slide, so, if that is what makes a Glock “barely” carry-able, well, the Model 64 has just a hammer spur, or perhaps no spur, in the comparable space. There are slim grip/stock panels that might well make the revolver the slimmer-butt option. OTOH, the revolver’s cylinder has some amount of width, though the rest of the weapon is relatively slim.

We are all built differently, but personally, I would rather conceal a 4” S&W revolver inside my trousers, than any G19/G17-ish Glock, as a cylinder can be positioned comfortably enough in my inguinal crease, for AIWB carry, or in a natural hollow in my hip muscles, for behind-the-hip IWB. The rear of a G19/G17 slide is my concealment nemesis, and the double-column grip is also a challenge, especially in the case of the G17.

Others, however, may prefer the flatness of a Glock. It is an individual thing.

I use G19/G19x/G17 Glocks, as well as various S&W and Ruger revolvers, so I have no prejudice regarding weapon type, when I say I find it generally easier to conceal a medium-frame 4” revolver, and generally more comfortable to carry a revolver inside my trousers, especially in the inguinal crease area, where the blocky Glock slide is much more annoying than a rounded revolver barrel. I have even carried a full-lug 4” GP100, on occasion, AIWB. More realistically, these days, AIWB carry is much more likely to be accomplished with an SP101, especially if all-day carry is the objective. I can get all of my skinny fingers onto the grip of an SP101, so I do not feel that I am unduly handicapping myself, compared to a larger weapon.

Olim9
07-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Was the WC a GP100 or a SP101? They come in both. If it was the GP100, a Match Champion is going to be pretty same-same other than barrel length. The OEM grip on the MC is not going to be conducive to concealment of any sort, but as mentioned compact grips are available. You can get them through Ruger shop or Altamont.

The only revolver I ever AIWB carry is an LCR, so I'm not much help there.

It was quite heavy and had six chambers so I think it was the GP. I don’t know if I make much sense coming from hi cap semi autos but I’d really like a six shot more than a five. If that weren’t a big deal, I would get the LCRx3 and call it a day. Seriously, that guy’s Wiley Clapp was something else...if only I had a box of wadcutters in my range bag.

Rex G
07-27-2019, 04:08 PM
These guns are (IMO) desirable because they are 4" fixed sight, not sure that was ever a standard item?

Skinny barrel is another thing that is not currently offered, DA is easy enough to convert but OOB here, and they even come with the smaller grips.

But I just bought a rifle and a reloading press...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I bought a new GP100 built like this, except that mine has a spur on the hammer, in the very early 2000s, at an LGS. I installed the more-squared OEM grip, to better control Magnum recoil.

I never sought to have the hammer bobbed. IIRC, I already had my 4” Ruger Speed Six, with a factory spurless hammer, and had two SP101 fiveguns with spurless hammers, all three of which were/are more tote-able than a GP100, so did not see a need to grind this new one.

Joe45
07-27-2019, 04:17 PM
Not me. I bought two last year and I'm trying like heck not to buy one of the linked ones as #3...

https://live.staticflickr.com/4661/39181112085_1a03713fd6.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22Girzg)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32848088927_1ce49ff5fd.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/S3F3qP)Details on those grips please...?

okie john
07-27-2019, 05:14 PM

It's just one of those things you have to try to understand. Before I got into semi-autos, I Mexican carried revolvers for years. To do that, you slip the revolver into your belt between the buckle and your hipbone. The grip will be parallel to your belt and just forward of the watch pocket on a pair of Levis. The barrel falls naturally into the crease of your thigh. This is unlike the currently fashionable way to AIWB a semi-auto, where the barrel is basically vertical.

Radically different and far more comfortable with a revolver, even if it has a 5-6" barrel.

#SometimesTheOldWaysAreBest (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=SometimesTheOldWaysAreBest)

Okie John

mmc45414
07-27-2019, 05:22 PM
I bought a new GP100 built like this in the very early 2000s, at an LGS.
Yup, if a fella wanted the adjustable rear there are lots of alternative GP variations out there.

awp_101
07-27-2019, 05:35 PM
Details on those grips please...?
The top set is walrus tusk that came with the GP when I bought it but I don’t know the maker. The bottom set is Sambar stag from Zane at Lone Star Custom Grips.

Totem Polar
07-27-2019, 06:09 PM
How do GP100s respond to action work? Specifically from the techniques in Iowegan's book?

Can you get K-frame tuneability without going to say, Gemini Custom or Lou Ciamillo?

They respond to amateur tuning well, that’s for sure. I’ve Iowegan’d multiple GPs, and one SP, and they’ve all come out great. I wouldn’t be so comfortable doing the same level of work on a K-frame, myself.

I find a k frame in an aiwb holster is significantly more comfortable than a Glock. Yes the cylinder is a little wider but the shape of the gun makes it easier to conceal. The barrel and frame are thinner. The grip is also a shape that conceals well.
This. I’m a fairly wiry guy, and a 4" K with concealment grips disappears in a JMCK AIWB. A Glock 19, 17, or 45 doesn’t. The grip is just a totally different animal on the two designs.

HCM
07-27-2019, 09:11 PM
Real Talk.

These things are $399. They are an uncommon variation (skinny barrel, fixed sight, spur hammer)

A new GP-100 is what? $600 ish ? Unless this is the configuration you want, don't bother. You could buy a new GP-100 for what it would cost to machine these for new sights.

GP-100's are more L frame size than K frame sized. the skinny barrel helps and the GP-100 fixed sights are more visible than the fixed sights on S&W K and L frames.

Newer GP-100s normally have better trigger pulls than older GP-100s though there is much less voodoo involved in cleaning up an older GP-100 trigger.

Whirlwind06
07-28-2019, 05:01 AM

I recall that a couple of rental Ruger single actions were quite off, but I believe may recall a rental SP101 that shot close to point of aim. Both were many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMy 3 inch gp100 is pretty much dead on with 158 grain loads. I filed down the front sight just a little bit to get exactly where I wanted it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nephrology
07-28-2019, 07:43 AM
Real Talk.

These things are $399. They are an uncommon variation (skinny barrel, fixed sight, spur hammer)

A new GP-100 is what? $600 ish ? Unless this is the configuration you want, don't bother. You could buy a new GP-100 for what it would cost to machine these for new sights.

GP-100's are more L frame size than K frame sized. the skinny barrel helps and the GP-100 fixed sights are more visible than the fixed sights on S&W K and L frames.

Newer GP-100s normally have better trigger pulls than older GP-100s though there is much less voodoo involved in cleaning up an older GP-100 trigger.

Yeah, when I saw the fixed sights, I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that I would be saved from myself.

mmc45414
07-28-2019, 08:19 AM
It has been interesting to see the varied responses regarding the fixed sights, that is what is giving me the wants on this. I would also like to have maybe a 5" or 6" heavy barrel with the adjustable but a 4" with the streamlined rear is making me wonder what I should pull out of the safe and sell real quick (hey Lon, I remember you asking about the M&P I chopped down...)

HCM
07-28-2019, 09:52 AM
My 3 inch gp100 is pretty much dead on with 158 grain loads. I filed down the front sight just a little bit to get exactly where I wanted it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’ve had three fixed sight Rugers over the years, a GP100 .357, a speed six in .38 and a service six in .38 - all shot POA/POI with 158 grain loads.

Lon
07-28-2019, 11:00 AM
(hey Lon, I remember you asking about the M&P I chopped down...)

Maybe if I hadn’t just spent all my extra $$ on the SD9 project.

SeriousStudent
07-28-2019, 11:49 AM
I have a 3" blued GP-100 that used to belong to Chuck Haggard, then Darryl Bolke. It shoots spot on with 158-grain loads. One of them, (I think it was Darryl) put an X/S Big Dot on the front.

It's got the small Lett grips, and carries like a dream in a JRC holster.

Rex G
07-28-2019, 03:42 PM
It's just one of those things you have to try to understand. Before I got into semi-autos, I Mexican carried revolvers for years. To do that, you slip the revolver into your belt between the buckle and your hipbone. The grip will be parallel to your belt and just forward of the watch pocket on a pair of Levis. The barrel falls naturally into the crease of your thigh. This is unlike the currently fashionable way to AIWB a semi-auto, where the barrel is basically vertical.

Radically different and far more comfortable with a revolver, even if it has a 5-6" barrel.

#SometimesTheOldWaysAreBest (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=SometimesTheOldWaysAreBest)

Okie John

Yessir, good ol’ Mexican carry, with up to a 4” GP100. Notably, I usually did this when I had a weapon holstered at 0300, and wanted to enter a place that compelled one to check one’s bag* at the front counter, so I would discreetly un-bag the big sixgun, and tote it Mexican AIWB while inside the building. The most memorable occasion, however, was not a store, but a nightclub, where I had to meet a person on short notice. The doorman looked me up and down, trying to decide if I met the dress code, and then let me pass, while I had a 4” full-lug GP100 Mexican AIWB’ed, and probably an SP101 at 0300-0330, underneath a shirt. (Yes, legal; Texas peace officers can carry where alcohol is sold/consumed, though, of course, drinking while packing is not a best practice.)

*Yes, this used to be the norm. Bags, backpacks, and large purses often had to be checked at the front counter when shopping. I reckon that it was the increasing prevalence of laptops and other mobile gadgets that effectively ended such policies, as the store employees had to be responsible for so much valuable checked property, and/or stores started losing customers, who refused to check their valuable items.

valian
07-28-2019, 04:25 PM

Fully loaded my 3 inch 64 and G19 weigh about the same. Six rounds vs. Sixteen... just doesn't happen that I actually carry the 64 honestly.

valian
07-28-2019, 04:29 PM

I have found Ruger fixed sight revolvers not to be partcularly well-regulated.

mmc45414
07-28-2019, 07:53 PM
Maybe if I hadn’t just spent all my extra $$ on the SD9 project.
Yeah... I got my 300BO boondoggle (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37675-What-Bulk-Bullet-For-300BO&p=907402&viewfull=1#post907402) or I wouldn't be waffling :cool:

JonInWA
07-29-2019, 04:13 PM

Bill, Ruger DA fixed-sight revolvers tend to be regulated out-of-the-box for 158 gr bullets.

Best, Jon

JonInWA
07-29-2019, 05:21 PM
I’m with Rob and others on this; pick of the litter, in many ways. Where’s the guy wanting a practical revolver? This thread just ended that one. :D

Everything you need, nothing you don’t.

Anyone who buys this can PM me for instructions on a quick trigger part smoothing. Done.

I agree, there's a siren song this basic, heavy-duty GP100 fixed-sight model sings. I had one similar; it had the DA/SA hammer, but otherwise was identical. Had a Wolff spring kit installed, had the exterior and cylinder bead-blasted and foolishly sold it-twice (traded it in on the latest hotness I "had to have," bought it back, and then ultimately sold it again). A self-induced loss I regret, despite having a custom blued 4" GP100 and a 4" stainless Security Six...

For an outdoor field gun, or concealed carry revolver, these fixed-sight GP100s, in either 3" or 4" barrel lengths are hard to beat.

The finish wear is easily cleaned up, and the grips and grip panels are easily and inexpensively replaced via either the Shop Ruger or Altamont sites.

Alternatively, brand new, and for hundreds of more dollars, there's always the similar Match Champion, with Novak fixed sights (with the rear easily and inexpensively switched out with Novak's similarly profiled adjustable rear if desired).

Best, Jon

37th Mass
06-01-2020, 07:17 PM
Resurrecting this old thread now that I have my revolver in working condition with new grips.

I bought one of these from AIM, but when I got it, there was a significant 'hitch' in the trigger. I disassembled it as much as I dared, cleaned and lubed it, but could not identify any missing or obviously broken parts. The hitch remained, with a very heavy initial pull, then the cylinder would jump and the pull would get suddenly lighter.

I called Ruger, and they send me a shipping label so that I could send it in for service. They returned it a week later (at no charge) with the 'hitch' repaired. It has a nice serviceable double action trigger pull now. They also replaced the missing disassembly pin and I think that they ran a buffer over it to bring some of the shine back. I was very impressed with Ruger customer service.

The grips that came with the revolver were serviceable but very worn and ugly. I just received the Altamont grips today and put them on. I think it looks nice.

I've always wanted a GP100 since I fired my friends revolver back in 1988. This will be a range gun for me. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Adam
06-02-2020, 01:21 PM
Nice piece! Ruger has about as good of customer service as you can get. Unfortunately I've needed to use it multiple guns in a row but they'll take care of you, which is what keeps me coming back!

03RN
06-02-2020, 03:16 PM
I kinda wish i picked one of these up

fatdog
06-02-2020, 04:10 PM
I guess I was fortunate because I got one as well, and it arrived mechanically perfect with one of the smoothest Ruger triggers I have ever owned. I shot it again last week with a variety of full power and mid range .357 loads and it is a joy to shoot. Handles and balances better for me than an L frame, with comparable recoil. Mine put 6 rounds of Federal 125's in a single hole at 12 yards, which is pretty good for me working DAO. Glad yours got squared away by the factory.

Lon
06-02-2020, 10:00 PM
I guess I was fortunate because I got one as well, and it arrived mechanically perfect with one of the smoothest Ruger triggers I have ever owned. I shot it again last week with a variety of full power and mid range .357 loads and it is a joy to shoot. Handles and balances better for me than an L frame, with comparable recoil. Mine put 6 rounds of Federal 125's in a single hole at 12 yards, which is pretty good for me working DAO. Glad yours got squared away by the factory.

fatdog
06-03-2020, 07:33 AM
..no pics

Okay, I dug it out to snap a pic, I also had the chrono set up the other day for some rifle work and pushed some rounds through the GP100

Federal .357 125gr JHP
1516 AVG
26 SD
52 ES

Winchester .357 Silvertip 145gr JHP
1270 AVG
26 SD
55 ES

awp_101
06-03-2020, 07:40 AM
I kinda wish i picked one of these up
I wish I had too...

Does anyone know where they came from? Any import marks?

fatdog
06-03-2020, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know where they came from? Any import marks?

They were Century imports, rumor was that they were former Canadian LE guns, but I don't know any definitive information. Gun was a typical police trade and it had spent a lot of time in a holster, grips were rotted (rubber and wood) and cracked, had to be replaced. Mine fit the profile, carried a lot and shot very little.

Main reason I jumped on it is I very much prefer this barrel profile, no underlug, which is no longer made as far as I can tell and not as many in circulation, plus I don't like the adjustable rear sights on a gun I might carry, and those are also found less often in the 4" GP100's. I figured between me and the factory we would fix whatever else was wrong and fortunately mine had absolutely nothing wrong mechanically.

awp_101
06-03-2020, 09:28 AM
They were Century imports, rumor was that they were former Canadian LE guns
Thanks, I wondered if they were Canadian or French. I had a Model 66 12-15 years ago that was factory DAO but still had the hammer spur intact. CAI import marked and the story was they were ex-Canadian LE. Mine came straight from CAI so I’m reasonably certain it wasn’t monkeyed with before it came to me.

Dave T
06-03-2020, 09:53 AM
fd,

That 125g velocity from a 4" barrel is smokin'! Back in the early to mid 1980s, when my department issued the Rem 125 SJHP, I frequently chrono'd them through the department's 4" M-66s. They always hung right around 1425 fps and we had good success shooting bad guys with the Rem.

Dave

fatdog
06-03-2020, 12:51 PM
circa 2007-08 after our house fire I bought a full case of this particular Federal stuff and still easing my way through that particular lot, it is unquestionably hotter than anything else I have purchased. It clocks 1475 or more through my 4" N frame and 4" L frame. Excellent accuracy in all those compared to other stuff. The GP100 numbers going higher surprised me. I should put some through my 16" lever gun just to clock it. I know the bullets would not remain very intact to penetrate at those rifle velocities.

Dave T
06-03-2020, 02:26 PM
I have to wonder if the current offering from Federal has suffered the same attenuation other 357 and 38 loadings are plagued with. If I still had a 4" 357 I'd be tempted to buy a box and try it.

Dave