PDA

View Full Version : I got an email from the webmaster at pistol forum.com

Cypher
07-26-2019, 03:04 AM
Asking me to sign a petition to reform the NRA. Did you guys actually send this or is it spam?

RoyGBiv
07-26-2019, 05:38 AM
Legit

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37643-Step-1-Require-NRA-Directors-to-Attend-Board-Meetings&p=907091&viewfull=1#post907091

hufnagel
07-26-2019, 07:27 AM
huh. I'm more annoyed I didn't get an email.

hufnagel
07-26-2019, 01:46 PM
damnit.
ok, i'm one of those "that guy"'s that had the wrong email account in his profile.
FIXED! :D

Zincwarrior
07-26-2019, 01:59 PM
A large percentage of PF members (many of whom are still active on the site) have changed their email addresses but never updated their profile info. As a result, PF gets a ton of bounced email. At one point I used to ask those people to please update their email address, but after a handful of angry/pissy responses about how that was none of my business, I stopped.

For a while I’d just set their accounts to not send out notifications (since trying to monitor bounced email to see what’s from email providers blocking PF became difficult when there are thousands of other bounced messages from people with abandoned email accounts), but ultimately also stopped doing that since it required direct database manipulation and that’s sort of a risky pain in the ass.

Last week I went through the bounced email in an attempt to help a member that said he was not receiving email from PF. The amount of bounced email from the message LL sent out was staggering — and meant it took over an over to confirm that there was no email problem (other than perhaps filtering not his end) for the guy saying he wasn’t getting email from PF.

TL;DR: update your email address in your profile and/or check your spam filters/folders.

I just received mine today, so there may be a delay since it was first mentioned.

Totem Polar
07-26-2019, 02:21 PM
That was (sort of) covered in the thread linked to above in post number 2. Email is batched/throttled (for a variety of reasons) and sent out sequentially in order by member/user ID. hujnagel’s ID is over 10,000 lower than yours. His was one of the first sent out.

Interesting. Mine came in yesterday.

Totem Polar
07-26-2019, 02:27 PM
You’ve got a fairly high user ID. :)

I’ve always been a "late bloomer."

RoyGBiv
07-26-2019, 02:28 PM
You’ve got a fairly high user ID. :)

1/IQ? :o

blues
07-26-2019, 03:07 PM
1/IQ? :o

He's no Mister X, in other words. :rolleyes:

(Fortunately, for us...)

hufnagel
07-26-2019, 09:00 PM
That was (sort of) covered in the thread linked to above in post number 2. Email is batched/throttled (for a variety of reasons) and sent out sequentially in order by member/user ID. hujnagel’s ID is over 10,000 lower than yours. His was one of the first sent out.

Seriously? the j and the f aren't even CLOSE to each other.
Ex mods are total shits.

:D

Drang
07-26-2019, 10:46 PM
I bet you were a ton of fun around the nukes... ;)

hufnagel
07-27-2019, 05:49 AM
I bet you were a ton of fun around the nukes... ;)

He had to go and post a serious post too. I was expecting more of something along the lines of...

https://media.tenor.com/images/8909737727840d1c428956f0daf7e3af/tenor.gif

:D

blues
07-27-2019, 08:02 AM
FWIW, I almost posted that I only pay attention to things that matter. :)

You still got it, Tom. ;)

JAD
07-27-2019, 10:11 AM
I have a form of dyslexia that causes me to make mistakes with characters that are visually similar but that mostly differ in orientation. Things like 6 and 9; u and n; m and w; b, d, g, p, and q; and yes, even j and f — which, at least to me, have a similar gestalt. 6/9 and b/d/g/p/q are the ones I most frequently mess up, but the others do happen from time to time. I try be careful, but oftentimes I’m not careful enough. This is one of those times I wasn’t careful enough.

I almost liked your dyslexia.

LittleLebowski
07-27-2019, 11:37 AM
I’ve gotten so many nice replies to this email. Not.

Drang
07-27-2019, 03:14 PM
I’ve gotten so many nice replies to this email. Not.

Mine wound up in spam, like so many others. Plus, I had already printed it out to get others to sign.
And, honestly, I just sort of ass-you-me'd that it was one of those "Do not reply" emails. Which when I think about it was dumb.

Seriously, though, thank you for sending it out.

hufnagel
07-28-2019, 08:15 AM
GAH!!!
I fixed the email address in my profile. Now my inbox is FLOODED with thread notifications! ;)

eta: oh god... there's 1294 subscribed threads. Is it too early to start drinking?

blues
07-28-2019, 08:46 AM
GAH!!!
I fixed the email address in my profile. Now my inbox is FLOODED with thread notifications! ;)

eta: oh god... there's 1294 subscribed threads. Is it too early to start drinking?

I've been mass deleting catch-up emails for days since fixing my email address issue here.

Drang
07-28-2019, 06:28 PM
GAH!!!

There's a reason I turned off notifications...
...I shudder to think what would happen if I had them turned on, and I was a truly popular (tons of likes and quotes) poster here...

willie
08-07-2019, 11:15 AM
I'm happy to be on the email list. They sent me 15 gadgets and a $100 gift certificate each month for 10 straight months. Life is good.