PDA

View Full Version : Heinie vs. Trijicon HD Night Sights

texasaggie2005
03-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I recently purchased an M&P compact for conceal carry and general self defense, and I'm looking now at sights. I can't decide between the Heinie Straight 8 or the Trijicon Orange Front HD's. Does anybody have any pro's or con's about either? Thank you for the awesome site and great information, hoping to learn a lot on here.

http://www.heinie.com/product_info.php?products_id=169

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=SA137O

joshs
03-12-2011, 04:48 PM
I think the Trijicon sights have a .140 wide front post. I'm not sure because Trijicon doesn't have the official specs on their website yet. I prefer a .125 or narrower front post, but your preference may differ.

texasaggie2005
03-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I noticed the lack of dimensions on both websites.

I wish I could say I was experienced enough to be able to differentiate my skills with different width front sights. But I am a "noob", just trying not to make a lot of rookie mistakes.

joshs
03-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Most people I know prefer tall thin front sights and a rear notch that is wide enough to have light bars that are easy to see in varied lighting. The Heinie's with the QWIK notch meet these criteria.

With the M&P you have a lot of sight options. Some other good sights that you may want to consider are Warren Tactical and Ameriglo.

willowofwisp
03-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I think the Heinie LEDGE sights with the QWIK rear sight are the perfect combination, the trijicon front sight appears to be too wide for my taste.

texasaggie2005
03-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Ended up buying some Ameriglo sights, but now I'm having problems getting them installed. This is just a rant. Monday immediately after I picked up my pistol from the FFL, I dropped off my slide and Amerglo sights at the local Gander Mountain to have the 'smith install them. He calls me yesterday morning saying it was done. Cool, 1 day turn around. I go in last night after work to pick it up. Somehow, he managed to install the wrong rear sight. Different brand, different style, not even close. Of course, the gunsmith left at 4, I'm there at 5:30, and no notes on the work order, so no explanation whatsoever. It then took me 30 minutes going round and round with the manager trying to convince him that it wasn't my rear sight on there. We ended up on Google finding pictures of the Ameriglos, then trying to figure out what the 'smith installed. I ended up with my Ameriglo front, and a Trijicon SA37 rear. I left my slide and sights there, and I'm supposed to hear from the gunsmith and/or manager this morning to figure out how to fix this. Very, very frustrating.

Jason
03-23-2011, 08:11 AM
These kind of stories lead me to believe the current crop of "gun smiths" are just tinkerers that have a full tool kit and arent affraid to mess up YOUR gun. As the older smiths die off or quit, it will be strictly a DIY thing. I am sure you would have done a better job than that "smith."

texag
03-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Ended up buying some Ameriglo sights, but now I'm having problems getting them installed. This is just a rant. Monday immediately after I picked up my pistol from the FFL, I dropped off my slide and Amerglo sights at the local Gander Mountain to have the 'smith install them. He calls me yesterday morning saying it was done. Cool, 1 day turn around. I go in last night after work to pick it up. Somehow, he managed to install the wrong rear sight. Different brand, different style, not even close. Of course, the gunsmith left at 4, I'm there at 5:30, and no notes on the work order, so no explanation whatsoever. It then took me 30 minutes going round and round with the manager trying to convince him that it wasn't my rear sight on there. We ended up on Google finding pictures of the Ameriglos, then trying to figure out what the 'smith installed. I ended up with my Ameriglo front, and a Trijicon SA37 rear. I left my slide and sights there, and I'm supposed to hear from the gunsmith and/or manager this morning to figure out how to fix this. Very, very frustrating.

If you're still in CS there's a store on the East side of Texas between Main and George Bush that installed sights on my M&P. Forgot the name, but I brought the gun and sights in and left 10 minutes later. I refuse to buy anything gun related at Gander, horrible prices and service.

mnealtx
03-29-2011, 02:53 AM
If you're still in CS there's a store on the East side of Texas between Main and George Bush that installed sights on my M&P. Forgot the name, but I brought the gun and sights in and left 10 minutes later. I refuse to buy anything gun related at Gander, horrible prices and service.

Sounds like Burdette's....good folks.

texag
03-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Sounds like Burdette's....good folks.

That's the one. I usually went to Champion, but that was more a byproduct of them having a range.

texasaggie2005
03-29-2011, 12:59 PM
I wished I still lived in CS, but the job has me in Houston now. The shop I used was the Gander Mountain at US-290 and HWY-6.