PDA

View Full Version : I like fishing shirts

LittleLebowski
07-25-2019, 07:35 AM
All of a sudden, I noticed that I prefer these. I keep on getting holes in them from AIWB, but I love the lightweight material. Any recommendations for similar shirts?

https://amzn.to/30OegQi

RoyGBiv
07-25-2019, 07:44 AM
Curious. What gun?
My HK P2KSK tore up a lot of shirts. I think the decocker was the culprit. My G19 has been a lot friendlier.

Sorry no suggestions on the fishing shirts, the one I own is gathering dust in the closet. #makesmelookfat (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=makesmelookfat)

blues
07-25-2019, 07:54 AM
I know Bean sells or used to similar stuff, often in their "sale / reduced" area. I've got some short sleeve versions that have been hanging in the closet for years which I may have worn once or twice.

(I tend to wear shirts I can pull on as opposed to button-ups unless I have little choice in the matter. Guess I just never grew up.)

Guinnessman
07-25-2019, 07:56 AM
LL,

I have an Izod Saltwater shirt that is lightweight enough for comfort, but thick enough to be just about ideal for concealed carry. I would love to find more of these.

Hambo
07-25-2019, 08:23 AM
All of a sudden, I noticed that I prefer these. I keep on getting holes in them from AIWB, but I love the lightweight material. Any recommendations for similar shirts?

Switch to Beretta. I wear Columbia and carry AIWB and no holes. If you can't bring yourself to do the right thing, Columbia has more than one weight of fishing shirt material. I've found the lighter (lightest?) weight is not that durable. My med kit in my truck is strapped to the headrest, and the strap chewed up a couple of those shirts. If you've got cheese grater stippling on your G, that would eat right through them.

LittleLebowski
07-25-2019, 08:24 AM
Curious. What gun?
My HK P2KSK tore up a lot of shirts. I think the decocker was the culprit. My G19 has been a lot friendlier.

Sorry no suggestions on the fishing shirts, the one I own is gathering dust in the closet. #makesmelookfat (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=makesmelookfat)

G19X and G17. A better question would be "what sights?" :D Ameriglos are easier on my shirts than my Trijicons.

LittleLebowski
07-25-2019, 08:25 AM
Switch to Beretta. I wear Columbia and carry AIWB and no holes. If you can't bring yourself to do the right thing, Columbia has more than one weight of fishing shirt material. I've found the lighter (lightest?) weight is not that durable. My med kit in my truck is strapped to the headrest, and the strap chewed up a couple of those shirts. If you've got cheese grater stippling on your G, that would eat right through them.

Well shit, that seems a little more expensive than buying new shirts, ENABLER :D

BJXDS
07-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Dammmm you beat me to it and already figured it out, should have known

Following with interest. I have not found a better option overall they tend to work well for me. The pullovers from various manufacturers work as well but have the same potential to wear.

I have found the Trijicon rears tear almost anything, the Ameriglo Idot pros are much more clothing friendly.
It seems like more of a hardware vs clothing issue as any metal pressed and rubbing on a lightweight fabric will win over time.

BobM
07-25-2019, 08:36 AM
I have a few left from Sams Club that I like.

RoyGBiv
07-25-2019, 08:50 AM
G19X and G17. A better question would be "what sights?" :D Ameriglos are easier on my shirts than my Trijicons.

Hmmm... I always figured it was the decocker, not the Meprolights. Similar Mepros on the G19, but, not same placement, obviously.

Hambo
07-25-2019, 09:18 AM

Another answer might be: different/custom holster. My sleek Langdon ;) in a JMCK with full guard doesn't allow much contact of shirt and sights. Not that Beretta sights would tear your shirt anyway, because Italian is so clearly superior. Take a look https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-WC2-5.html

So, in order:
1-Beretta
2-Holster design
3-shop at Goodwill so you can throw away shirts without going broke
4-it was time to go RMR anyway

41magfan
07-25-2019, 09:34 AM
I've been wearing ExOfficio Air Strip shirts (year round) for well over 20 yrs ... nothing really compares IME. The "fishing clothes" paradigm started with the EXO brand.

https://www.exofficio.com/mens-air-strip-long-sleeve-shirt/1001-2035.html?dwvar_1001-2035_color=2005&dwvar_1001-2035_size=000004M&cgid=mens_tops_shirts#start=1

RevolverRob
07-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Another reason why Glocks suck.

You wouldn't have this problem if you ran a 1911.

Mostly because it wouldn't work most of the time, so you wouldn't carry it. :eek: :rolleyes:

JHC
07-25-2019, 10:34 AM

+1
Mine are mostly Columbia also. Some cotton and some micro-fiber/synthetic. I like the micro-fiber best for lightness but the cottons are more resistant to snagging with aggressive grip textures.

Jason M
07-25-2019, 10:50 AM
Another fan of the Ex Oficio shirts here. For the Columbia brand, go to one of their outlet stores. I don't think I've ever paid more than $30 for one. For other brands, Rail Riders makes something similar. So does LL Bean.

BehindBlueI's
07-25-2019, 11:02 AM
I like the Eddie Bauer "Guide shirt" for outdoorsy activities. They aren't exactly the same as fishing shirts but accomplish most of the same tasks without looking like purpose-built outdoorsy wear.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/13838518?sp=1

Longevity seems pretty good so far.

LSP552
07-25-2019, 11:16 AM
+1
Mine are mostly Columbia also. Some cotton and some micro-fiber/synthetic. I like the micro-fiber best for lightness but the cottons are more resistant to snagging with aggressive grip textures.

This for sure^.

fatdog
07-25-2019, 11:29 AM
I have had very good luck with the Magellan brand that Academy Sports sells, all of mine are performance fabric of some sort of blend. I like they way they did their vents and pockets and collars more than I do the Columbia's

Tom Givens
07-25-2019, 11:42 AM
I also use the Magellan brand a lot, plus the Mojo brand button up fishing shirts.

UNK
07-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Try Cabellas. I was in there yesterday. They have a brand called Red Head thats inexpensive. They are having sales on some items now.
ETA https://www.cabelas.com/product/REDHEAD-MENS-SS-TOURNEY-TRL-PLAID-SHIRT/3018960.uts?slotId=4
Further down the page you will see links for more fishing shirts.

ragnar_d
07-25-2019, 12:25 PM
I think those Columbia shirts are issued to you with a Florida DL, they’re about the ultimate “grey man” shirt down here. I picked up an off brand one from Amazon called “Little Donkey Andy” that had been okay but I doubt it would hold up like Columbia.

I have had very good luck with the Magellan brand that Academy Sports sells, all of mine are performance fabric of some sort of blend. I like they way they did their vents and pockets and collars more than I do the Columbia's
I’ve had good luck with Magellan as well. I haven’t been in one since I moved down to South FL and I’m remembering that I actually miss that store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEPAKevin
07-25-2019, 12:52 PM
The old school way to keep a suit jacket from getting abraded was to have a piece of thick nylon sewn into the lining. I wonder if you could put a piece of hundred mile tape or maybe hot glue an iron on patch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DNOQ3G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) inside where the shirts wear?

blues
07-25-2019, 12:54 PM
The old school way to keep a suit jacket from getting abraded was to have a piece of thick nylon sewn into the lining. I wonder if you could put a piece of hundred mile tape or maybe hot glue an iron on patch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DNOQ3G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) inside where the shirts wear?

Then LL would be forced to use the same stuff for an inordinate length of time which would greatly cut into his national conspicuous consumption program. ;)

fatdog
07-25-2019, 01:11 PM
iron on patch inside where the shirts wear?

This works for me for several jackets and I think it could work for shirts too, a pair of the 4" iron on mending patches costs about a buck in the Walmart sewing department....

I like this Magellan...

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-mens-aransas-pass-window-check-short-sleeve-fishing-shirt

GJM
07-25-2019, 01:14 PM
I have destroyed many shirts with AIWB carry, and have come to the conclusion it is not so much pistol rear sight design or brand garment — it is the fabric of the shirt that matters most.

Wool and 100 percent cotton is abraded easiest. All nylon is tough, but 50/50 cotton and synthetic is the sweet spot for me. One reason I really like Kuiu t shirts, besides their cut and design, is how resistant those 50/50 t shirts are to the normal holes that plague AIWB carriers.

NEPAKevin
07-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Then LL would be forced to use the same stuff for an inordinate length of time which would greatly cut into his national conspicuous consumption program. ;)

As I previously stated in another thread, in no way am I attempting to dissuade anyone from stimulating the economy.

Zincwarrior
07-25-2019, 01:41 PM

https://amzn.to/30OegQi

Pfft, shirts for men who are not manly enough to wear Hawaiian shirts in all their multicolored Airplanes being distracted when flying over glory. :D

flyrodr
07-25-2019, 04:58 PM
A bit late to the game here, but been fly fishing and accumulating gear for years. And I used to write for a couple of magazines, and attended trade shows regularly. Some thoughts:

Even within a given name brand, there are virtually endless variations of materials used, as most produce several models, frequently change fabrics from year to year, etc. Most are blends, with the intent of keeping the angler cool, and drying quickly. And most are light colored, to blend in with the sky from the fish's viewpoint. It's almost impossible to pick a shirt without shopping in person to feel and try on. I just grabbed a handful from the closet, and the labels show the following fabrics: 100% cotton; 100% polyester; 71% nylon, 29% polyester; 100% nylon; and 65% polyester, 35% nylon. Weight-wise, and feel-wise, there are some differences, but no real consistent pattern (beyond "lightweight"). Durability-wise, but somewhat tough to find, is probably a rip-stop fabric.

Price-wise, well, they're generally all expensive (could be that I'm a tightwad). Simms and Patagonia are typically the most "techy" and also the most pricey. But they, or dealers, do have season-end sales. Cabela's/Bass Pro, L.L. Bean and the like are usually a bit cheaper, but still good. The best deals, of course, are when a model is discontinued. Also, individual shops, particularly in destination/seasonal fishery locations (e.g., Rocky Mtns) frequently have season-end sales. Google . . .

Colors, and particularly patterns, can of course make a difference in concealability (re: the Hawaiian shirt reference). As mentioned above, most fishing shirts are light-colored, but patterns ("aqua" camo) are becoming more common (somewhat in recognition of most Eastern streams being smaller, and having a lot of shoreline/overhanging vegetation. Also, since more and more people are wearing fishing shirts as casual everyday wear, manufacturers are making "crossover" shirts that serve double duty. Most "real" fishing shirts are cut very loosely, but some of the crossover are more trim cut. At least one manufacturer (Patagonia) lists the fit (e.g., slim, regular, relaxed) on each shirt.

But, yeah, LL is correct. They are very comfortable shirts, and great for CC. I've told the story before about attending a CCW class, and at the evening-before get together, the instructor pointed to my get-up (fishing shirt, logo'd cap) as the perfect "gray man" dress.

SeriousStudent
07-25-2019, 06:35 PM
I also use the Magellan brand a lot, plus the Mojo brand button up fishing shirts.

I have been using the Magellan's ever since you told me about them. Much appreciated. What works well in the Florida heat and humidity performs just as well in Texas.

LL - They hang at just the right length for a speedy draw from 3:00 or AIWB. Academy puts them on sale fairly regularly, and if I tear one up it's not a big deal. You are close enough to the coast that a "fishing shirt" would not look out of place.

Joe in PNG
07-25-2019, 09:30 PM
I've got tons from various makes.
I usually just get whatever is on sale at Bass Pro or Bells Outlet.

ST911
07-25-2019, 10:14 PM
Kuhl Konquer: https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/short-sleeve/konquer-ss/
Kuhl Response: https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/short-sleeve/response/

I have a bunch of each and wear them daily. "Eluxor" material is extremely lightweight and is mostly dry when the spin cycle is done. Sheds stains pretty easily. Ultralight material flows over AIWB and belt mounted gear, and these are some of the few shirts that don't show any holes or pilling with extended wear. Travel friendly, won't wrinkle even when balled up. Konquer has snaps and is a trimmer fit, Response has buttons and a little boxier. More expensive, but you get what you pay for with these.

Cabelas and Bass Pro softlines are hugely hit and miss, and the Red Head stuff is mostly disposable junk. Except for a few specific pieces (but constantly changing specs) I'm done with those pretty much forever.

For lightweight all-weather performance stuff, also check out Beyond Clothing, https://beyondclothing.com/.

RoyGBiv
07-26-2019, 05:55 AM
Shorter guys like me (5'8") look ridiculous in these shirts. Best case, they fit me in the shoulders but the length hits me mid thigh, looking like a very modest ladies dress.
The fit on the Columbia stuff I've tried leaves room for me to strap a fat guy around my waist, fully concealed.

Any recommendations on shorter length versions would be appreciated.

fatdog
07-26-2019, 06:10 AM

I don't know who makes them shorter, but I spend an extra $8 each (that is what my local seamstress charges for it) to get each one set to the exact length I want it and squared up. I all do is pin them and take them to her, it is an easy job to cut and hem. Been doing that for a couple of decades, even my Hawaiian shirts. In my case the edge of any untucked shirt is about 3.5" below my belt buckle and that is immensly helpful in practicing my drawstroke, no matter which shirt I am wearing....clearing the garment is always happening in the same way.

JAD
07-26-2019, 06:13 AM
Kuhl Konquer: https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/short-sleeve/konquer-ss/
Kuhl Response: https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/short-sleeve/response/

I am trying both (as well as a pair of Outsidr pants) because of your taste in 1911s. And in spite of your Minnesoteanity.

Guinnessman
07-26-2019, 06:43 AM
I have several Kuhl shirts that fit the bill. Zappos had them at a reasonable price when I bought them last year.

If anyone finds a deal on these, please post it here.

Hambo
07-26-2019, 07:16 AM
Here are the two Columbia shirts I have. Both are PFG, UV, blah, blah, but the materials are different.

These are heavier fabric. https://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-bahama-ii-short-sleeve-shirt-FM7047.html?cgid=shirts&dwvar_FM7047_variationColor=019#mid=paidsearch&nid=&oid=Shirts_General&did=columbia+Shirts&eid=Microsoft%2BBing%2BAds%2BUS&s_kwcid=AL!3937!10!76828465882961!76828461908813&ef_id=XTrtowAABaNpnhdU%3A20190726121011%3As&start=2

These https://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-tamiami-ii-short-sleeve-shirt-FM7266.html?cgid=shirts&dwvar_FM7266_variationColor=486#mid=paidsearch&nid=&oid=Shirts_General&did=columbia+Shirts&eid=Microsoft%2BBing%2BAds%2BUS&s_kwcid=AL!3937!10!76828465882961!76828461908813&ef_id=XTrtowAABaNpnhdU%3A20190726121011%3As&start=0 look better and are cooler, but the fabric is super light.

Tom Givens
07-26-2019, 08:31 PM
I don't know who makes them shorter, but I spend an extra $8 each (that is what my local seamstress charges for it) to get each one set to the exact length I want it and squared up. I all do is pin them and take them to her, it is an easy job to cut and hem. Been doing that for a couple of decades, even my Hawaiian shirts. In my case the edge of any untucked shirt is about 3.5" below my belt buckle and that is immensly helpful in practicing my drawstroke, no matter which shirt I am wearing....clearing the garment is always happening in the same way.

I do the same thing. If I buy them big enough in the shoulders, they are too long. Seamstress fixes that quickly and easily.

For fastest pistol presentation, hem of shirt should be right at your wristbones with arms hanging at your sides, in my experience.

LittleLebowski
07-26-2019, 09:25 PM
I’m serious, I can’t live without the ability to quickly roll my sleeves and secure them in place.

#TheStruggleIsReal

MGW
07-26-2019, 09:52 PM
I haven’t worn these but they look nice. A little more athletic cut than some of the other fishing shirts. I’ve had good luck with LL Bean in the past.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/20471?page=men-s-tropicwear-shirt&bc=12-26-589-506874&feat=506874-GN3&csp=f

RevolverRob
07-26-2019, 09:55 PM
I’m serious, I can’t live without the ability to quickly roll my sleeves and secure them in place.

#TheStruggleIsReal

The Magellan ones I’ve had for years are still good to go.

That’s Academy’s brand. Not sure if Academy is in VA currently, but you can buy online from them.

Support them, if and when possible. If only because they helped your’s truly get through college with paychecks. Also, I still have a few hundred rounds of ammo bought with an employee discount somewhere. Despite not working for them in almost a decade.

serialsolver
07-27-2019, 02:55 PM
I wear Magellan in the summer. They are good shirts that last a long time. The one thing that I don’t like about them is the mesh panel on the back shrinks in the wash faster than the rest of the shirt and ruins the fit. I wish I could find a fishing shirt that doesn’t have the mesh panel in the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

littlejerry
07-27-2019, 09:21 PM
I wear the Columbia Silver Ridge 2.0 shirts because they aren't laughably oversized.

I also prefer the nylon based shirts vs polyester as they tend to stink less and be a little more durable.

camsdaddy
07-28-2019, 06:50 AM
Shorter guys like me (5'8") look ridiculous in these shirts. Best case, they fit me in the shoulders but the length hits me mid thigh, looking like a very modest ladies dress.
The fit on the Columbia stuff I've tried leaves room for me to strap a fat guy around my waist, fully concealed.

I am the same height. Some of the Magellan shirts I have are square bottom and the length is good. Some of them are longer. Some are tapered. I wish I could figure out which are which to find consistency.

AKDoug
07-29-2019, 11:58 PM
I have one Simms and one Huk. Short sleeved fishing shirts. They are excellent quality but I won’t ever pay full retail for them. I get them on clearance from Sierra Trading post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk