PDA

View Full Version : Antisniper robot

Glenn E. Meyer
07-24-2019, 09:47 AM
https://www.c4isrnet.com/unmanned/2019/07/03/robots-compete-to-hunt-snipers-in-navy-challenge/

Skynet? Snipers need to retrain for new jobs? The future is now.

OlongJohnson
07-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Facial recognition software is deployed and effective.

Read the literature on what's being done in the effort to make cars drive themselves and this stuff gets scary yesterday.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-24-2019, 11:00 AM
I read how Tesla's will run you over or allow sleeping dudes to zip down the highway. 737s fly you into the ground. I welcome our ROBOT masters.

Anyone ever discuss the Sgt. York AA tank. From a guy who worked on the test (so that's the source), the York was an AA tank with twin 40 AA guns. It was supposed to track helicopters based on the Doppler Shift of radar of the rotor blades. The idea was duplicate the Russian 23 mm systems. Anyway, the thing didn't work. So they set up a big test in front of Pentagon officers and big wigs. The target helicopter comes on. The tank is activated (It's robot fighting time, robots activate). The York sees the fan blades of a a portable outhouse near the stands with the big wigs. Since this day was hot out, they had an AC equipped can. It tracks across the stands (causing rapid evacuation of stands and bowels). It blows up the attacking outhouse as it is close than the on coming copter.

If this is true - all I know is that a scientist who worked there, told me this.

I do remember a story of a South African 35 AA tank with Oerlikons that went nuts and hosed the surroundings.

OlongJohnson
07-24-2019, 11:11 AM
Wikipedia relates the latrine fan incident, so it must be true. It also happened the same year the original Terminator movie came out. We're a little farther along now.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-24-2019, 11:14 AM
Yes, the original Terminator had a 3.5 inch floppy drive in his butt crack.

TGS
07-24-2019, 01:21 PM
I read how Tesla's will run you over or allow sleeping dudes to zip down the highway. 737s fly you into the ground. I welcome our ROBOT masters.

I do remember a story of a South African 35 AA tank with Oerlikons that went nuts and hosed the surroundings.

It's only a glitch.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TstteJ1eIZg

BehindBlueI's
07-24-2019, 01:27 PM

Anyone ever discuss the Sgt. York AA tank. From a guy who worked on the test (so that's the source), the York was an AA tank with twin 40 AA guns. It was supposed to track helicopters based on the Doppler Shift of radar of the rotor blades. The idea was duplicate the Russian 23 mm systems. Anyway, the thing didn't work. So they set up a big test in front of Pentagon officers and big wigs. The target helicopter comes on. The tank is activated (It's robot fighting time, robots activate). The York sees the fan blades of a a portable outhouse near the stands with the big wigs. Since this day was hot out, they had an AC equipped can. It tracks across the stands (causing rapid evacuation of stands and bowels). It blows up the attacking outhouse as it is close than the on coming copter.

If this is true - all I know is that a scientist who worked there, told me this.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2017/02/time-military-paid-anti-aircraft-gun-locked-onto-toilets/

Apparently sort of true, but the gunner had the final say on if the weapons fired at what they locked on to so no live fire at the latrine took place.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-24-2019, 01:52 PM
That’s interesting. I never followed up on the story the guy told me way back when.

Stephanie B
07-24-2019, 02:17 PM

The gunfire directors on Navy ships formerly had a sailor in them. The Spruance class DDs were the first to do away with the manned station.

So there was a tug towing a target sled for a surface-gunfire drill. See sled, aim at sled, fire. Except the robot saw the target sled, the towing hawser and the tugboat as one big target. It locked onto the biggest part of the target and fired several rounds of 5" solid shot (BL&P) into the tug.

Same thing almost happened with a Perry-class FF on an anti-aircraft drill. Some sharp-eyed sailor realized that the robot had tracked up the tow cable and was about to open fire on the jet towing the target and shut it off before hit could open fire.

OlongJohnson
07-24-2019, 03:12 PM
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2017/02/time-military-paid-anti-aircraft-gun-locked-onto-toilets/

Apparently sort of true, but the gunner had the final say on if the weapons fired at what they locked on to so no live fire at the latrine took place.

What you're saying is, the shit did not actually hit the fan.