PDA

View Full Version : Your Deer Rifle and Optics Set Up

Hieronymous
07-22-2019, 04:51 PM
I will be deer hunting in Missouri in November (essentially my first time). The property on which I'll hunt offers moderately hilly woods and two fields with maximum ranges of between 200 and 300 yards. At present I own nothing suitable for deer and am hoping for some input.

First, let me say, that my father in-law (with whom I'll be hunting) has taken multiple deer each season for twenty plus years with his father's Marlin 30-30. He loves to hunt, but isn't the slight bit interested in the gun itself, per se. Me, I'm hoping to ignite my interest in deer hunting as a great way to bond with my father in law, but I AM interested in the gun; researching and pondering this choice is part of the fun for me.

Rifles: So far, I am looking at the Bergara B-14 Hunter and the Tikka T3X Lite.

Caliber: I have thought .270 would be a classic caliber choice, but think too that this is a great opportunity to experience the 6.5 Creedmore (i'm told it's soft and flat shooting). Would both of these work well?

Optics: No idea. I did wonder if an LPVO could work well? My thought was, perhaps I could also use it for my next AR purchase and, as I could be in a blind in the woods or in the fields, going from say 6 power to 1 could be useful? Honestly, I just haven't the experience to know.

I confess that I lower cost rifles would be more than adequate, but I enjoy paying for a bit more quality. My rifle cost I'd say should be in the $800-$1100 range. I'd like good glass, but would like to keep the cost between $500-$800 if possible. Any makes/models I should look at? Thoughts on my two current contenders?

What are you guys using. What's worked about your set up and what hasn't?

Best,

Hieronymous

okie john
07-22-2019, 05:44 PM
I will be deer hunting in Missouri in November (essentially my first time). The property on which I'll hunt offers moderately hilly woods and two fields with maximum ranges of between 200 and 300 yards. At present I own nothing suitable for deer and am hoping for some input.

First, let me say, that my father in-law (with whom I'll be hunting) has taken multiple deer each season for twenty plus years with his father's Marlin 30-30. He loves to hunt, but isn't the slight bit interested in the gun itself, per se. Me, I'm hoping to ignite my interest in deer hunting as a great way to bond with my father in law, but I AM interested in the gun; researching and pondering this choice is part of the fun for me.

Caliber: I have thought .270 would be a classic caliber choice, but think too that this is a great opportunity to experience the 6.5 Creedmore (i'm told it's soft and flat shooting). Would both of these work well?

Optics: No idea. I did wonder if an LPVO could work well? My thought was, perhaps I could also use it for my next AR purchase and, as I could be in a blind in the woods or in the fields, going from say 6 power to 1 could be useful? Honestly, I just haven't the experience to know.

I confess that I lower cost rifles would be more than adequate, but I enjoy paying for a bit more quality. My rifle cost I'd say should be in the $800-$1100 range. I'd like good glass, but would like to keep the cost between $500-$800 if possible. Any makes/models I should look at? Thoughts on my two current contenders?

Best,

Hieronymous

Both of those are solid choices. So is almost anything from the 243 on up.

Other things to consider:
1. You can get 308, 30-06, and 270 ammo almost anywhere for a good reason.
2. Look for a muzzle velocity between 2,700 fps and 3,200 fps with sectional density over about 0.226. The low end of the velocity range is fine.
3. A good 4x scope from pretty much any maker or 3-9 or 2-8-ish is a strong choice, just zero it for no farther than 200 yards. If you get a variable, keep it at the lowest power.
4. Try to keep the overall weight around 7-8 pounds. Lighter is harder to shoot well, heavier is harder to lug around.
5. Go to https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21568-Scout-rifle-circa-2016 if you really want to go off of the deep end.

Expect your father-in-law to give you a ration of shit about whatever you choose. It's the way of the world for old deer hunters and fathers-in-law, and it only gets worse when they're the same person.

Okie John

ranger
07-22-2019, 06:08 PM
I am new to hunting but have been going to Wyoming last few years for Antelope and Mule Deer. We are DIY hunters on public land and we walk long distances into the area, all day, and back out at night until everyone gets their tag filled or we have to back to work. Rough terrain. My deer setup is a Kimber Montana 280 Ackley Improved (AI) with Talley rings and Leupold VX6 2-12 scope. I found the rifle and scope used so I got a great deal - very light but that is exactly what I wanted. I used it for a Mule deer last year and two other hunters borrowed it to harvest a very large mule deer and a large antelope - all with one shot kills. I am very pleased with 280 AI but that is a unique factory cartridge - 270 would be just as good and easier to find.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite (model prior to T3X) in 3006 that is a very nice rifle - a Tikka T3 in 3006, 308, or 270 would be an excellent choice. I would suggest a Leupold 3-9x40 scope with the CDS dial (allows you to "dial" in your range). I would suggest Talley rings. The attached picture is my Tikka T3 3006 with an older Leupold VX3 2-8x36 (before they offered CDS) with a Limbsaver recoil pad. I suspect you could hunt anything in North America with that assuming you use the right projectiles for the dangerous game.

MolonLabe416
07-22-2019, 07:20 PM
I’m currently running a Steyr ProHunter Mountain in 270 Winchester with a Leupold 2-7x optic. It’s a fine setup.

However, I’m going to move to a Sauer 100 in 6.5 Creedmoor, likely with the same optic.

Any non-magnum (you don’t need a magnum for what you described) in the 6.5 to 35 caliber range will do. It depends on what you like, or what you find a deal on - I got the Steyr for about a 60% discount when they were closing them out after one of the many Steyr distributor changes.

In re 308 is everywhere. That’s what I thought too before the BHO ammo shortages. I couldn’t find any 308, but I found 270 everywhere I went. Besides, reading O’Conner is just more fun when you own a 270! :)

Redhat
07-22-2019, 08:19 PM
My set up is a CZ 550 Premium in .270 Win with Leupold VX2, 3-9x40 in Warne rings. That's been my only hunting rifle since 2003. There's a reason .270 is still around and has gained the reputation it has for whitetails.

Having said all that, I'm with Okie John. There are many rifles / calibers out there that will do what you need...sometimes I wonder if we have too many choices. My simple advice is to try as many rifle caliber combos as you can and just pick one. If you get something that isn't pleasant to shoot, it's less likely you'll practice with it.

Rick R
07-22-2019, 08:27 PM
First post. :D

An old African “Great White Hunter” said something to the effect that you should like your rifle and be comfortable shooting empty adult beverage containers off of an anthill if an impromptu shooting match breaks out.

There is nothing wrong with the rifles or cartridges you listed, I’m more prone to use the 98 Mauser, Winchester 70, or Ruger 77 rifles. Which is advice from the Department of Redundancy Department since they are all Mauser derivatives. I like the .308 cartridge but have been seeing Creedmore ammo made off shore at decent prices.

I was using a Ruger M77 “International” in .308 with a Leupold 1-4x scope before anyone put together L, P, V, and O as a scope description. Not a 500 yard rig but more than adequate to keep up with your FIL’s 30-30.

The bottom line is find a rifle that speaks to you and then shoot it till you’re in a relationship.

OlongJohnson
07-22-2019, 08:38 PM
I am new to hunting but have been going to Wyoming last few years for Antelope and Mule Deer. We are DIY hunters on public land and we walk long distances into the area, all day, and back out at night until everyone gets their tag filled or we have to back to work. Rough terrain. My deer setup is a Kimber Montana 280 Ackley Improved (AI) with Talley rings and Leupold VX6 2-12 scope. I found the rifle and scope used so I got a great deal - very light but that is exactly what I wanted. I used it for a Mule deer last year and two other hunters borrowed it to harvest a very large mule deer and a large antelope - all with one shot kills. I am very pleased with 280 AI but that is a unique factory cartridge - 270 would be just as good and easier to find.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite (model prior to T3X) in 3006 that is a very nice rifle - a Tikka T3 in 3006, 308, or 270 would be an excellent choice. I would suggest a Leupold 3-9x40 scope with the CDS dial (allows you to "dial" in your range). I would suggest Talley rings. The attached picture is my Tikka T3 3006 with an older Leupold VX3 2-8x36 (before they offered CDS) with a Limbsaver recoil pad. I suspect you could hunt anything in North America with that assuming you use the right projectiles for the dangerous game.

Pretty much all that.

Not a fan of the Talleys, though. If you want to remove the mounts from the gun, you have to disturb the scope's relationship to the rings, so you're back at the start when you put it back together. I have another post on Warne rings somewhere around here; search and check it out. The Leupold 2.5x8-32 VX-3i is popular on deer guns for a reason.

6.5 CM has become a great choice for whitetails and similar.

I usually suggest Howa as a not-as-light alternative to Tikka that's well made and accurate, but lately I've been working on solving the stock problem just setting up a basic .223 and have realized they are likely to involve significantly more work than a Tikka, making the Tikka a better choice for most people.

TR675
07-22-2019, 09:21 PM
I got a lightly used Remington 700 Walmart special in .308 with some kind of big honking Vortex scope on it and a Magpul stock for cheap at a local gun shop.

It’s a utility piece and I didn’t put a lot of thought into it. I’m sure there are better choices. Whatever, I’m not worried about getting kilt in the woodz and it shoots straight, so it’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cornstalker
07-22-2019, 09:27 PM
Having had both a Tikka and Bergara, I would go with Bergara hands down. The Finnish Tikka is an outstanding rifle made by Sako, can't go wrong with it. The synthetic stock models feel as cheap as any Savage. I now have two Bergaras, and they leave me wondering why anyone would pay to have a custom rifle built unless it was for PRS competition or something. The way the rifling in the barrel is honed, it does not require additional lapping or even traditional break-in. My .22-250 shot a 1.6" group at 402 yards with my first attempt at a handload. My 7mm Rem mag shot a .286" at 100 with a starting load. Last Friday I shot a ladder at 300 and had .516" of vertical for three shots with three different powder charges .4 grains apart. Both of my Bergaras handily exceed my expectations for a factory rifle.

Yes the .270 and 6.5 Creedmoor are both great choices for deer at the ranges that you have mentioned. Ammo for both is available in abundance. You can effectively handload for both without any undue drama.

For a scope, I would go with at least a 3-9, if for no other reason than to make it easier to sight in the rifle properly at 100 yards. Vortex Viper and up, Leupold VX3 and up, and if you can catch one of the sales, Meopta makes fine scopes. Cabelas Alaskan Guide series are made by Meopta and are outstanding scopes. Even better if you can catch them on sale. The MeoPro Optika6 2.5-15 can be had for around $500.

Lester Polfus
07-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Deer Rifle #1: Marlin 1894C with a Vortex Red Dot.
Deer/Elk Rifle #2: 18" Ruger M77Mk2 .308 with a Leupold 1.75 to 5.

pangloss
07-22-2019, 11:08 PM
I have a Ruger No. 1 in .270 Win that I bought in 1992. I've hunted with it every year since then and never really felt the need for another rifle. I have a Leupold 3-9x by 40mm scope on it that I bought in 1994. I really love my setup.

However, there are a ton of rifles that will do what you need. If I buy anything else, it'll likely be a 6.5CM or maybe a 6CM. However, I'd like a nice 6.5x55 too.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

HCM
07-22-2019, 11:15 PM

Best,

Hieronymous

Lots of good advice so far. My only suggestion would be to reverse your budgets for rifles and optics. Most deer are really nocturnal and are often encountered at dawn and dusk when a better optic is a great aid to making a clean kill.

If funds are an issue I would buy the optic first.

StraitR
07-23-2019, 12:02 AM
The most serious hunters I know use pretty traditional bolt rifles from Winchester, Remington, and Savage in the most popular calibers (.270, .308, .30-06) with mid-level optics from Nikon or Leupold. They keep the freezers packed. With a $1900 budget, you're well ahead of the curve.

I've been very happy with my T3x CTR set up for general purpose use, and if I were in the market for another bolt action rifle, would look no further than another Tikka.

A T3x Lite Compact in your preferred caliber topped with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 would be quite handy and do everything you need from 0-300yards.

Right now my CTR wears a Razor Gen II-E 1-6 because that's what I had laying around. A buddy wants it for his GP carbine, so if he buys it I'll be replacing it with much lighter Leupold, quite possibly that 2.5-8 VX3i.

spinmove_
07-23-2019, 06:57 AM
I went through this process not long ago myself. I settled on a T3x Lite Stainless in .308 with a Nikon Prostaff 5 2-10x50. I’ve only had it for one season in which I wasn’t lucky enough to be presented with a clean shot. I’m hoping this year is different.

Looking back on it, I kind of wish I got something in either .270 or 6.5CM. I might be doing something wrong as I don’t shoot rifles hardly at all, but that particular .308 beats the hell out of my shoulder in fairly short order. It most definitely shoots better than I though.

LJP
07-23-2019, 07:33 AM

Mainly because I had an older A-Bolt already, I chose a Browning Micro AB3 in 6.5 Creedmoor. The caliber is sufficient for anything I hunt and beats me up a lot less than my old .30-06. I topped it with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x32. I use a MagPul sling. The gun is just about perfect for me. The 6.5 Creedmoor is here to stay, and ammo availability pretty much passes the Wal-Mart test these days. If you get a good rifle that fits you well, with a quality scope, it’s hard to go wrong with any of the choices listed so far. You can get a really good rifle for not a lot of money these days. (The photo above is the only one I could find on my phone of my rifle. I loaned it to a buddy last year after he had shoulder surgery. My rifle had the least recoil of any of the pool of rifles that we had available in camp. So, not my deer, but my rifle...)

okie john
07-23-2019, 08:40 AM
Lots of good advice so far. My only suggestion would be to reverse your budgets for rifles and optics. Most deer are really nocturnal and are often encountered at dawn and dusk when a better optic is a great aid to making a clean kill.

This is excellent advice. A Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with the illuminated Forceplex reticle on top of a Tikka T3 would be very hard to beat.

I'd also add a first-rate pair of binoculars. I'd rather hunt with $1k binos and a $200 rifle than the other way around.

Okie John

cornstalker
07-23-2019, 08:58 AM
The T3x lite in .270 Winchester is pretty lively on the bench. The lightweight gun has a violent snap to it. If you go light, I would suggest the 6.5 unless you don’t mind being clobbered.

I bought a Howa 6.5 Creedmoor for my daughter. It is a decent gun, but our sample is a little finicky and the barrel is a copper mine.

JHC
07-23-2019, 09:03 AM

That ^. I'd get a strong optic and a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmore to start with to manage the total cost of the project.

JHC
07-23-2019, 09:05 AM
I went through this process not long ago myself. I settled on a T3x Lite Stainless in .308 with a Nikon Prostaff 5 2-10x50. I’ve only had it for one season in which I wasn’t lucky enough to be presented with a clean shot. I’m hoping this year is different.

Looking back on it, I kind of wish I got something in either .270 or 6.5CM. I might be doing something wrong as I don’t shoot rifles hardly at all, but that particular .308 beats the hell out of my shoulder in fairly short order. It most definitely shoots better than I though.

I don't tolerate centerfire rifle recoil well - up in the .308 plus class - and I found my buddies .270 even worse and it was no lightweight. Hence my attraction to the 6.5 CM for one of these days.

mtnbkr
07-23-2019, 09:25 AM
My deer rifle for the last 16 years has been a Winchester 70 Featherweight 6.5x55 with Leupold VX1 2-7x32. This is a nice and light combo for hunting in the Virginia mountains. With a 140gr Sierra BTSP, it has dropped every deer I've shot. While I like the gun, if I were to do it all over again, I'd probably get a 308win for more flexibility. I felt the 6.5x55 was a bit light for black bear, so I went out and got a Savage Hog Hunter 308 (wanted iron sights).

Chris

Nephrology
07-23-2019, 09:35 AM
I am no hunter, but I have a 24" Howa 1500 in .30-06 that is a very capable shooter. I threw it in a bell and carlson which was about as much money as I was going to spend to re-stock this rifle. It shoots sub-MOA with 180gr Federal Gold Medal Match. With my Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 6-18 it weights in at almost exactly 10lb, which may be on the heavy side for you.

That said, I have been very pleased with the Howa, and strongly encourage you to look into them. They are great rifles for the money. I'll defer to others on optics here, but definitely consider the Howa as you cross-shop rifles. You get a lot of bang for your buck, and can take the savings and invest that into a nice piece of glass.

Poconnor
07-23-2019, 10:10 AM
Lots of good info. .308, .270 and 30-06 are classic rounds for a reason. I think if you want one rifle to deer hunt I would get a 30-06. From pronghorn antelope to bear/elk you are covered with the right bullet. For hunting I like the Leupold 2.5-8 and the 3-9x. I would not go over a 40mm objective because of size and weight. Get the best binoculars you can afford. Check out used binos. High end photography stores often have used equipment. Birdwatchers trade in their binos. I searched for used leicas and I am very happy with them. I like smaller binos than most people but I find them handier. I have a used leitz 7x35 binos that I really like

cornstalker
07-23-2019, 10:18 AM
The Bergara can be had for sub $600. Here is a gun.deals search for the 6.5 Creed

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/B14S102

ACP230
07-23-2019, 10:23 AM
I started out with a .30-06 and have moved to the .250 Savage.
If buying now I might be getting a rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The rifle I use now is a Ruger 77RL. Scope is a Leupold 2-7 variable.
I bought the rifle used and added a new scope. It weighs six and a half pounds with scope and
sling and feels more like my over and under 20 gauge shotgun than
any of my other rifles. Light, accurate, and a good killer on deer.

Don't be afraid to buy used. Most deer rifles are shot to sight in October and
then fired once or twice at the year's venison a month later.

Redhat
07-23-2019, 10:58 AM
I would also add the Weatherby Vanguard line if you like a dressed up Howa 1500...and I believe they guarantee sub-moa don't they?

PearTree
07-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Lots of great advice. The only thing I would offer scope wise is a leupold vx-5 or something similar. I notice significant difference in light transmission from the lower end leupold vs the vx-5 and up. From a hunting perspective light transmission is big being able to ethically take a deer in low light scenarios. In my experience the trophy deer are always seen at dawn or dusk.
Also the link cornstalker put up is a smoking deal on the bergara. I would jump on that and take the cost savings towards a more expensive scope.

1911Nut
07-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Steyr Scout caliber .308 Winchester rifle with Leupold Mark 4 1.5 - 5X20mm MR/T scope in Talley rings.

DIESEL
07-23-2019, 03:43 PM
As others have said I hunt with 30-06 for a few reasons. You can get ammo at pretty much any gas station across the country, you can tailor your bullet weight and power quite a lot, and you know.... It's an 06 n all! I hunt in WA state mostly so west side is close range but when you go east of the mountains you could easily be out to 400 or so
I use a Tikka T3X laminate stainless with a Nikon monarch 7 4-16x50 . Glass is excellent in low light and I LOVE the reticle.
No actual pics on my phone but it is a beautiful rifle

03RN
07-23-2019, 04:55 PM
Deer Rifle #1: Marlin 1894C with a Vortex Red Dot.
Deer/Elk Rifle #2: 18" Ruger M77Mk2 .308 with a Leupold 1.75 to 5.

#1 bear/dear rifle Puma M92 16" .45 Colt
#2 Ruger m77mkll 7mm Mauser 4x leupold
#3 Mossberg 590a1 18" though last year my shockwave got a lot of use.

Any standard caliber from .243-.300 winmag will do you just fine. Any 3-9, 4x, etc scope from Leopold will do you just fine.

Remington, Ruger, Savage, Winchester etc. Pick an accurate midweight bullet. Don't overthink this.

Eta if you're still hunting or stalking then lighter is better. If you're hunting from a stand it doesn't matter.

Hieronymous
07-23-2019, 08:46 PM
This is excellent advice. A Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with the illuminated Forceplex reticle on top of a Tikka T3 would be very hard to beat.

I'd also add a first-rate pair of binoculars. I'd rather hunt with $1k binos and a $200 rifle than the other way around.

Okie John

NightForce SHV 3-10x42mm .250MOA Riflescope, Illuminated Forceplex, Black, C611
Reticle: Illuminated Forceplex
Finish: Matte
Exit Pupil: 4 - 5.9 mm, 6 - 7.9 mm, 8 - 9.9 mm, 10 - 11.9 mm
Weight Range: 1 - 1.49 lb
Tube Diameter: 30 mm
Eye Relief: 3 - 3.9 in
Eye Relief: 31+ mm
Reticle: Crosshair
Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 MOA
Minimum Magnification: 3 x
Maximum Magnification: 10 x
Objective Lens Diameter: 40 - 49 mm
Color: Black
$985.00

Thanks for the heads up on this. I really like the idea of an illuminated reticle. This model Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24mm CDS-ZL2 at $1200 ish looks interesting as well. By the way, I was able to get my hands on the Tikka T3X Lite and it was startlingly light.

okie john
07-23-2019, 11:23 PM
NightForce SHV 3-10x42mm .250MOA Riflescope, Illuminated Forceplex, Black, C611
Reticle: Illuminated Forceplex
Finish: Matte
Exit Pupil: 4 - 5.9 mm, 6 - 7.9 mm, 8 - 9.9 mm, 10 - 11.9 mm
Weight Range: 1 - 1.49 lb
Tube Diameter: 30 mm
Eye Relief: 3 - 3.9 in
Eye Relief: 31+ mm
Reticle: Crosshair
Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 MOA
Minimum Magnification: 3 x
Maximum Magnification: 10 x
Objective Lens Diameter: 40 - 49 mm
Color: Black
$985.00

Thanks for the heads up on this. I really like the idea of an illuminated reticle. This model Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24mm CDS-ZL2 at $1200 ish looks interesting as well. By the way, I was able to get my hands on the Tikka T3X Lite and it was startlingly light.

The T3x feels light but it's light in name only. Once you get optics on it, it gets heavy with a quickness. Also, I'm a huge Leupold partisan but they've had problems lately, hence the Nightforce recommendation. But definitely +1 on the illuminated reticle. See https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23266-Finally-Got-an-Elk for details. I took that bull at last light, when an illuminated reticle would have been handy.

Also, spend some time working the the reticle in actual low-light situations before you go barreling out into the field with it. Most people want to crank it up like Times Square, but it may work far better if you can just barely see it.

Okie John

beenalongtime
07-23-2019, 11:55 PM
Never been hunting. Friend was going to take me, back when I was a kid and six months later, he was dead from a brain tumor. Stuff got weird after that and life gets in the way.

So at this point, I would consider myself a rifle collector, rather then a hunter. However a couple rifles were on my list of gets and when they came up used, in decent shape, I jumped. First is a lever gun, as it was a want (Winchester pre 64, model 94), and the second was based on what I remember my friend and his kids using. It is labelled Remington 1917, but it is in a standard rifle configuration, not a $$$$ WWI, Enfield stock. Saved a bunch compared to a Remington 700. (pays to have money aside, waiting for deals)
Still need a scope, so really appreciating the thread.

mtnbkr
07-24-2019, 06:10 AM
The only thing I would offer scope wise is a leupold vx-5 or something similar. I notice significant difference in light transmission from the lower end leupold vs the vx-5 and up. From a hunting perspective light transmission is big being able to ethically take a deer in low light scenarios. In my experience the trophy deer are always seen at dawn or dusk.

I'm not sure if the VX lineup has changed, but when I bought my VX1 in 2002, there was only the -1, -2, and -3 models. There was no Rifleman or higher level VX models (that I recall). Therefore, my VX1 may be "better" than current versions. That said, at any light level I can *legally* shoot a deer (half hour before sunrise, half hour after sunset), my 32mm VX1 is more than adequate. The higher end models might offer even more light transmission, but I've never felt like what I see through my VX1 is insufficient for a humane shot. In fact, I feel like I could take clean shots when it's not legally advisable. It's entirely possible that current VX1s are inferior to the older ones as part of the stratification brought on by adding new "levels" (Rifleman, VX1-5, etc).

Chris

farscott
07-24-2019, 07:34 AM
To me, there are many clues in the OP's FIL's rifle choice and success. Multiple deer per year with a .30-30 Winchester means the distance is not too far (likely 150 yards or less) and an illuminated reticle and/or high-power scope are not needed. It also means a high-power rifle round is not needed. .300 BLK/AAC is in the same power range as .30-30. I see no reason for rounds in the .270 or .30-'06 class unless the plan is to hunt at longer distances.

As far as light, as long as the exit pupil is at least 5mm at the chosen power, most people get no gain from better scopes at these short ranges. A good 4x or 6x is more than sufficient for shots within the range of .30-30. I have a Leupold FX-II 6x36 that is waiting for a rifle that is ideal for deer at the OP's ranges. It weighs 10 ounces, and SWFA sells it for $300. It weighs more than 30% less than the Leupold FX-III 6x42. Personally the extra weight of the 42mm objective and the better lens coatings are not enough of a difference to add the extra weight and $100. I might even be tempted to go with the older Leupold M8 4x28mm as I have been able to find those used for about $100.

I carry my deer rifle a lot more than I shoot it. So I want a light rifle. I also am no fan of recoil, so I want a light recoiling rifle. I like bullets that are heavy for caliber (larger sectional density) for maximum penetration. Mine is a Browning 1885 Low-Wall in .243 Winchester topped with a Leupold Vari-X II Compact 3-9X. I think the power setting is on 6X, but I have not looked in years (I prefer fixed power scopes). My wife bought me the rifle, scope, and a box of Remington 100-grain Core-Lokt ammo as a Christmas present back in 2004 or 2005. I shot three rounds to zero it and shoot one round per deer on the years I hunt. So far no issues filling the freezer with this light single-shot rifle. This year will be time for a new box of ammo. So I will zero with the new box and be good for another decade or so.

okie john
07-24-2019, 08:41 AM
I notice that a couple of folks on this thread have been a little hesitant to start hunting or maybe almost started, which means that many more people reading this feel the same way. If that's you, then go hunting. Humans are predators--that's why our teeth are sharp and our eyes are on the front of our heads. Find someone who can show you the ropes and get out there. Even if you don't even see game, when you come back you'll know things about yourself and the world that you never dreamed about.

Participating in Nature instead of just observing it will change your relationship with the world forever.

The circle of life is also a circle of death.

Okie John

donlapalma
07-24-2019, 08:49 AM
I notice that a couple of folks on this thread have been a little hesitant to start hunting or maybe almost started, which means that many more people reading this feel the same way. If that's you, then go hunting. Humans are predators--that's why our teeth are sharp and our eyes are on the front of our heads. Find someone who can show you the ropes and get out there. Even if you don't even see game, when you come back you'll know things about yourself and the world that you never dreamed about.

Participating in Nature instead of just observing it will change your relationship with the world forever.

Okie JohnI'm going on my first hunt this Saturday. I'll be doing a guided hog hunt and look forward to the experience. I'm sure it will lead to more hunting trips down the road.

mtnbkr
07-24-2019, 09:17 AM

Okie John

This, so much, this.

Even if you just sit on a hillside for the day with a rifle in your lap, you'll be enriched.

Chris

45dotACP
07-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Went on my first hunting trip (at 27 years old) last fall and really enjoyed it. I didn't get anything, but just being out in nature with my brother and his in laws was awesome and I learned a few things.

-Warm clothing is a must in Minnesota.

-My rifle better have a sling.

-A heavy rifle sucks. I took a k31, and it was almost 14lbs, the safety was hard to manipulate with gloves and I put way too much scope on it....and the zero wandered.

-.243 is good enough for most deer

-Just being a good shot doesn't mean I'll be a good hunter.

-Processing an animal helps, but pulling a 100lbs of dead animal through a thicket, over downed trees and out into a field is some kinda exercise.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

PearTree
07-24-2019, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure if the VX lineup has changed, but when I bought my VX1 in 2002, there was only the -1, -2, and -3 models. There was no Rifleman or higher level VX models (that I recall). Therefore, my VX1 may be "better" than current versions. That said, at any light level I can *legally* shoot a deer (half hour before sunrise, half hour after sunset), my 32mm VX1 is more than adequate. The higher end models might offer even more light transmission, but I've never felt like what I see through my VX1 is insufficient for a humane shot. In fact, I feel like I could take clean shots when it's not legally advisable. It's entirely possible that current VX1s are inferior to the older ones as part of the stratification brought on by adding new "levels" (Rifleman, VX1-5, etc).

Chris

The vx lineup has changed but I would say for the better. The vx-1 and vx-2 are gone, it’s now called the vx freedom. The vx-3 and vx-4 are also gone, it’s now the vx-3i. I think the vx-3i is one of the best values on the market right now given it has the glass from the vx-4 but it’s at the old vx-2 price. I am also not disagreeing that most any scope will get the job done, as I’ve killed many a deer with a 75 dollar scope on a muzzleloader. But given the op’s price range and emphasis on wanting quality I would say the vx-5 and up is the way to go.

PearTree
07-24-2019, 10:50 AM
Also, I'm a huge Leupold partisan but they've had problems lately, hence the Nightforce recommendation.

Okie John

What problems have you come across? I haven’t heard of any issues since they consolidated there lineup of scopes so I’m genuinely curious.

okie john
07-24-2019, 01:03 PM
What problems have you come across? I haven’t heard of any issues since they consolidated there lineup of scopes so I’m genuinely curious.

I've had decades of good results from Leupold products. But two recent purchases, a 4x and a 3-9 variable, do not respond repeatably to windage and elevation changes. These are ABSOLUTE bread-and-butter products for any scope maker, so if they can't get those right, then I hold little hope for their more sophisticated products.

Unfortunately, people whose opinions I trust have had the same problems. The average shooter might not notice, but these guys shoot accurate rifles and they shoot them a lot. They DO notice. Things have reached the point where a high-volume optics dealer who sells a shitload of Leupold glass actually succeeded in getting Leupold reps onto a live web stream with members of another hunting forum to discuss the issues.

So as much as I truly WANT Leupold to be the only scope I ever consider buying, I'm looking at other options.

Okie John

farscott
07-24-2019, 02:41 PM
Interesting that Leupold is having adjustment consistency issues. That is something unheard of with the older products with the friction adjustments as long as one remembers to tap the scope to insure the springs settle.

Duelist
07-24-2019, 04:26 PM
To me, there are many clues in the OP's FIL's rifle choice and success. Multiple deer per year with a .30-30 Winchester means the distance is not too far (likely 150 yards or less) and an illuminated reticle and/or high-power scope are not needed. It also means a high-power rifle round is not needed. .300 BLK/AAC is in the same power range as .30-30. I see no reason for rounds in the .270 or .30-'06 class unless the plan is to hunt at longer distances.

As far as light, as long as the exit pupil is at least 5mm at the chosen power, most people get no gain from better scopes at these short ranges. A good 4x or 6x is more than sufficient for shots within the range of .30-30. I have a Leupold FX-II 6x36 that is waiting for a rifle that is ideal for deer at the OP's ranges. It weighs 10 ounces, and SWFA sells it for $300. It weighs more than 30% less than the Leupold FX-III 6x42. Personally the extra weight of the 42mm objective and the better lens coatings are not enough of a difference to add the extra weight and $100. I might even be tempted to go with the older Leupold M8 4x28mm as I have been able to find those used for about $100.

I carry my deer rifle a lot more than I shoot it. So I want a light rifle. I also am no fan of recoil, so I want a light recoiling rifle. I like bullets that are heavy for caliber (larger sectional density) for maximum penetration. Mine is a Browning 1885 Low-Wall in .243 Winchester topped with a Leupold Vari-X II Compact 3-9X. I think the power setting is on 6X, but I have not looked in years (I prefer fixed power scopes). My wife bought me the rifle, scope, and a box of Remington 100-grain Core-Lokt ammo as a Christmas present back in 2004 or 2005. I shot three rounds to zero it and shoot one round per deer on the years I hunt. So far no issues filling the freezer with this light single-shot rifle. This year will be time for a new box of ammo. So I will zero with the new box and be good for another decade or so.

This is exactly why most hunting rifles never get “shot out” or worn out and still serve completely satisfactorily for the grandkids.

Bergeron
07-24-2019, 05:05 PM
If .270 is still on your mind, my local shop has a pre-'64 Winchester model 70 (claimed 1954) in .270 for $725 on consignment. It would be a classy choice, if that's how your tastes move you. Feel free to let me know if you want their contact information.

My first "deer rifle" was a Remington 7600 in .35 Whelen. While I wouldn't choose that gun or action type again, I really dig the caliber. In my world, shots kept to 200-300 yards (which is actually a very long range for most hunting) don't really benefit from a very flat-shooting caliber, and I like the terminal ballistics at those closer ranges.

farscott
07-24-2019, 06:34 PM
This is exactly why most hunting rifles never get “shot out” or worn out and still serve completely satisfactorily for the grandkids.

Exactly. The barrel is a tapered octagon profile. That profile, combined with the falling block single-shot action, is not a recipe for high-volume shooting. It is a recipe for a short easy-to-carry rifle that requires the shooter to carefully pick shots.

Hambo
07-25-2019, 07:31 AM

I've gone single shot as well. Mine is a TC Encore with a Bergara .308 barrel and a 3-9x Leupold. I'd be just as happy wit a .243, .257, .264, or .284 bullets. The 3-9x is OK, but I'll replace it eventually with my favorite Leupold, the 1.5-5x.

mtnbkr
07-25-2019, 08:30 AM
I've gone single shot as well. Mine is a TC Encore with a Bergara .308 barrel and a 3-9x Leupold. I'd be just as happy wit a .243, .257, .264, or .284 bullets. The 3-9x is OK, but I'll replace it eventually with my favorite Leupold, the 1.5-5x.

How do you like that Bergar barrel? I declined buying one in 35Whelen for a good price because of the mixed reports (I have an MGM 35W barrel, but at 17" long, it barks).

Chris

EMC
07-25-2019, 09:35 AM
Anyone mention the browning x-bolt hells canyon yet? Excellent factory rifles out of the box. Even better with an inexpensive M-carbo trigger spring upgrade.

Old Man Winter
07-25-2019, 10:20 AM
Don't overlook some of the 1950's / 60's era rifles based on commercial Mauser 98 actions. Many were assembled with premium barrels by true craftsman and you'd have to spend thousands to get quality like this today. Best part is they can be picked up incredibly cheap because they aren't stamped Remington or Winchester on the barrel.

In addition to the rifles you mentioned, I'd also look at the Steyr Pro Hunter ($599 on gunbroker) and the Mauser M18 rifles ($499+ at euro optic). For the optic you might consider the Vortex Razor HD LH. It's a clear, bright, small hunting scope that's available in 1.5-8x32 or 2-10x40 for $500-600.

CS Tactical
07-25-2019, 12:45 PM
This will be a pricey build, but here's the specs that Dan B. is building in the shop:

Rubicon Precision 6.5 Creedmoor and 284 Short action Swap Barrel

Lone Peak Fuzion Ti Short Action – Nitrided

Proof Carbon Barrel, 20” 6.5, 24” 7mm

XLR Magnesium Hunting Chassis(new) with folder

MBM Titanium Muzzle Brake

Triggertech Trigger

Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 Mil-C

Nightforce Rings

CKYE Bipod

Pics will be added when complete :)

Hambo
07-25-2019, 02:41 PM
How do you like that Bergar barrel? I declined buying one in 35Whelen for a good price because of the mixed reports (I have an MGM 35W barrel, but at 17" long, it barks).

Chris

Mine is 24" and shoots MOA, sometimes better. No problems cosmetically or with function, but I bought it from Mike Bellm. At the time he was going to the factory working on his deal, and it seems like I remember him saying he had to keep on them about quality. So maybe mine isn't an average example. These days I'd just go with MGM or Bulberry.

Lost River
07-27-2019, 10:44 AM
OP,

Long time hunter here. I also recently returned from the greater Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas and noted how quite small the deer are. The reason I say that is that you certainly do not need a .270 or 30-06 class cartridge to kill one cleanly. I have killed more than a dozen elk with a .270, so that should give you an idea as to the effectiveness of the cartridge.

My suggestion is this; If I were in your shoes, I would opt for a T3X Compact. Why the compact? The compact has a barrel length of 20"s. That is going to be a bit more handy for maneuvering in the type of terrain commonly found in your area. Plus at the ranges you are describing you are not giving up anything capability wise. As an example, I shot my elk last December at a shade over 600 yards with a 20" rifle. You did not mention your height, but if the slightly shorter length of pull is an issue, a slip on recoil pad can bring it back up to standard length of about $15. That, or there are usually no shortage of folks who will swap out a standard stock for a compact one.

As far as what cartridge, top picks would be 6.5 Creedmoor, or .308, and as much as I prefer the .308 as an all around cartridge, since you are not likely to be shooting moose, elk or griz, the 6.5 Creedmoor really is an excellent choice. Very mild recoil, flat shooting, and I have yet to see a Tikka that won't shoot some factory offering into tiny little groups. It usually is a matter of buying a 4-6 different flavors and evaluating them for top accuracy.

Scopes; My suggestion is to go with a 3x9 SWFA MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. A little bit of reading will determine which (MILs vs MOA) is the best choice for you. Keep the scope on 3x while you hunt. You can crank it up to 9x while sighting in, but most of the time, you are better off on a lower power setting due to the thick veg you guys have. If a longer range opportunity presents itself, then there is likely time to simply turn the dial up a bit for more magnification. The SWFAs have a truly excellent reputation for repeatability and durability. They are a "best buy" in the scope world. If I am not going to buy a Nightforce, I skip the Leupold anymore and just get an SWFA. These days I am buying a lot less NFs and a lot more SWFAs.

Rings. DO NOT skimp on rings. Too many people screw this up. They buy a nice rifle and scope then buy cheap pot metal rings and then cannot figure out why they have a wandering zero. Talley Lightweight rings work great. I use them on my .300 win Mag T3 and they have held zero with no issue. If you buy an SWFA they will often come with a set of rings as a package deal.

If you choose to put a rail on your rifle (not really needed but some like to), the EGW Picatinny rail is good to go and is very reasonable price wise. You can get it on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VI3KBI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will be a rock solid setup if you decide to forgo the Talley lightweight route.

You will also need scope covers, to keep moisture/rain off your lenses. Butler Creek used to be the standard, but ever since they went overseas, they break so quickly it is crazy and I could never recommend them.

I use Bikini style scope covers like these, that are available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Timber-Creek-Outdoors-Scope-Cover/dp/B07BJ835HK/ref=sr_1_58?crid=7FGL53QB9T0J&keywords=scope+cover&qid=1564240953&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=scope+%2Csporting%2C341&sr=1-58

Then I zip tie them on my scope so they don't get lost. I simply flip them off when needed, and they don't go anywhere.

Lastly you need a sling. A 2 point sling like a Viking Tactics (or similar) works leaps and bounds better than a traditional sling. Traditional slings tend to slide off your shoulder and one has to always use one hand to keep it in place. With a 2 point VTAC, you can cinch the rifle up close to your body and have both hands free to haul a heavy load, climb objects, drag items etc.

I attach the front end of the sling by running a course threaded wood screw to the starboard side of the forend, and put a little dab of thread locker on it.

http://i.imgur.com/jG2d2zI.jpg (https://imgur.com/jG2d2zI)

So in summary.

T3x Compact in 6.5 Creedmoor 20" barrel.
SWFA 3x9 MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA
Talley Lightweights
Bikini scope covers
VTAC sling.

That would be one heck of a nice package and one that you could hunt a pretty wide variety of game in North America with.

Hope this helps.

Lester Polfus
07-27-2019, 12:42 PM
I'm late to the party, and won't repeat much of the good advice you've gotten. I will make a few observations though:

1) I've hunted with guys with some cheap ass rifles, and never seen the rifle ruin the hunt.

2) I've hunted with guys with cheap ass optics, and even some good optics that have failed and ruined the hunt. A scope and mounting system that will hold zero is more important, in my opinion than the nuances of the rifle it is mounted on.

3) Most hunters are carrying too much gun and too much glass. They gun up with a magnum cartridge and enough glass to kill an elk at 600 yards, then wind up killing a 150 pound deer at 60 yards.

I'm an adult onset hunter as well. The initial learning curve can be steep, but it's worth it.

Hieronymous
07-29-2019, 01:41 PM
OP,

Long time hunter here. I also recently returned from the greater Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas and noted how quite small the deer are. The reason I say that is that you certainly do not need a .270 or 30-06 class cartridge to kill one cleanly. I have killed more than a dozen elk with a .270, so that should give you an idea as to the effectiveness of the cartridge.

My suggestion is this; If I were in your shoes, I would opt for a T3X Compact. Why the compact? The compact has a barrel length of 20"s. That is going to be a bit more handy for maneuvering in the type of terrain commonly found in your area. Plus at the ranges you are describing you are not giving up anything capability wise. As an example, I shot my elk last December at a shade over 600 yards with a 20" rifle. You did not mention your height, but if the slightly shorter length of pull is an issue, a slip on recoil pad can bring it back up to standard length of about $15. That, or there are usually no shortage of folks who will swap out a standard stock for a compact one.

As far as what cartridge, top picks would be 6.5 Creedmoor, or .308, and as much as I prefer the .308 as an all around cartridge, since you are not likely to be shooting moose, elk or griz, the 6.5 Creedmoor really is an excellent choice. Very mild recoil, flat shooting, and I have yet to see a Tikka that won't shoot some factory offering into tiny little groups. It usually is a matter of buying a 4-6 different flavors and evaluating them for top accuracy.

Scopes; My suggestion is to go with a 3x9 SWFA MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. A little bit of reading will determine which (MILs vs MOA) is the best choice for you. Keep the scope on 3x while you hunt. You can crank it up to 9x while sighting in, but most of the time, you are better off on a lower power setting due to the thick veg you guys have. If a longer range opportunity presents itself, then there is likely time to simply turn the dial up a bit for more magnification. The SWFAs have a truly excellent reputation for repeatability and durability. They are a "best buy" in the scope world. If I am not going to buy a Nightforce, I skip the Leupold anymore and just get an SWFA. These days I am buying a lot less NFs and a lot more SWFAs.

Rings. DO NOT skimp on rings. Too many people screw this up. They buy a nice rifle and scope then buy cheap pot metal rings and then cannot figure out why they have a wandering zero. Talley Lightweight rings work great. I use them on my .300 win Mag T3 and they have held zero with no issue. If you buy an SWFA they will often come with a set of rings as a package deal.

If you choose to put a rail on your rifle (not really needed but some like to), the EGW Picatinny rail is good to go and is very reasonable price wise. You can get it on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VI3KBI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will be a rock solid setup if you decide to forgo the Talley lightweight route.

You will also need scope covers, to keep moisture/rain off your lenses. Butler Creek used to be the standard, but ever since they went overseas, they break so quickly it is crazy and I could never recommend them.

I use Bikini style scope covers like these, that are available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Timber-Creek-Outdoors-Scope-Cover/dp/B07BJ835HK/ref=sr_1_58?crid=7FGL53QB9T0J&keywords=scope+cover&qid=1564240953&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=scope+%2Csporting%2C341&sr=1-58

Then I zip tie them on my scope so they don't get lost. I simply flip them off when needed, and they don't go anywhere.

Lastly you need a sling. A 2 point sling like a Viking Tactics (or similar) works leaps and bounds better than a traditional sling. Traditional slings tend to slide off your shoulder and one has to always use one hand to keep it in place. With a 2 point VTAC, you can cinch the rifle up close to your body and have both hands free to haul a heavy load, climb objects, drag items etc.

I attach the front end of the sling by running a course threaded wood screw to the starboard side of the forend, and put a little dab of thread locker on it.

http://i.imgur.com/jG2d2zI.jpg (https://imgur.com/jG2d2zI)

So in summary.

T3x Compact in 6.5 Creedmoor 20" barrel.
SWFA 3x9 MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA
Talley Lightweights
Bikini scope covers
VTAC sling.

That would be one heck of a nice package and one that you could hunt a pretty wide variety of game in North America with.

Hope this helps.

Awesome information, thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience. Here's what I just ordered this weekend: Tikka T3X (Blue Barrel) in 6.5 Creedmoor. Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm CDS-ZL2 with the Firedot. I told my dealer to look into the Leupold Steel rings, but not committed yet.

I was leaning towards the Bergara B-14 Hunter, but it appears that one has to get into the Premier Series to get the barrell everyone raves about and those are significantly more expensive. Your feedback and that of other posters here helped me decide on Tikka as a great quality to value option. Thank you!

1911nerd
07-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Awesome information, thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience. Here's what I just ordered this weekend: Tikka T3X (Blue Barrel) in 6.5 Creedmoor. Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm CDS-ZL2 with the Firedot. I told my dealer to look into the Leupold Steel rings, but not committed yet.

I was leaning towards the Bergara B-14 Hunter, but it appears that one has to get into the Premier Series to get the barrell everyone raves about and those are significantly more expensive. Your feedback and that of other posters here helped me decide on Tikka as a great quality to value option. Thank you!

I'll put in my vote for the Wilderness Tactical Rhodesian Sling. Others here probably have more experience, but I've been very happy with it as a hunting sling.

https://www.thewilderness.com/langlois-rhodesian-sling/wilderness-langlois-rhodesian-sling/

ranger
07-29-2019, 05:28 PM
Now you can start the "what 6.5 Creedmoor ammo" thread! I saw good results with the Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5C 143s in Wyoming last year with my hunting party.

Gray Ghost
07-29-2019, 07:40 PM
I too took up hunting as an adult. I have had the desire since I was about six years old, but there were no hunters in the family, so I had to wait until I had the resources to go on my own. Steep learning curve, but it was worth it.

My primary hunting rig right now is a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade chambered in 300 Winchester Magnum. It wears a Leupold VX-IIIa 4.5-14x40 scope with a Boone and Crockett reticle. I load it with hand loads using 180 grain Barnes TSX mono-metal bullets. I had the muzzle threaded, and I use a SilencerCo Harvester 30 suppressor. It is a most satisfactory setup. I have it zeroed at 200 yards. I took it to South Africa last summer, and it did very well. It is the bottom rifle in the photo below.

Second from the top is a vintage Weatherby Mark V chambered in 7mm Weatherby Mag that I bought late last year. I have been getting really great results with it at the range using Nosler 160grain Accubond bullets (about .6 MOA), and I am planning to hunt with it this fall. So far I am really liking the cartridge, but I would not recommend it if you don't hand load as factory cartridges are pretty dear. Too dear for deer? :)

That said, I highly recommend 300 Win Mag as an all around hunting cartridge. It is extremely versatile. It will do anything a 308 or 30-06 will do and then some. I have been hunting with one rifle or another in that cartridge since 2004.

Gray Ghost
07-29-2019, 07:41 PM
I'll put in my vote for the Wilderness Tactical Rhodesian Sling. Others here probably have more experience, but I've been very happy with it as a hunting sling.

https://www.thewilderness.com/langlois-rhodesian-sling/wilderness-langlois-rhodesian-sling/

I took one of those to South Africa, and it worked extremely well. It is now my go to for hunting with a rifle.

JonInWA
07-31-2019, 03:28 PM
For my Pacific NW deer hunting, I decided on the following:

1. A CZ 550 FS Mannilicher-stocked in .308 (discontinued, but possibly still available), with a Leupold 3X9 Freedom scope (with a rubber bikini cover-great tip on the zip-tie to retain it on the rifle when flipped off), and a Boonie Packer Safari Sling, using Hornady 150gr American Whitetail with InterLock bullets;

2. A CZ 527 Carbine, in 7.62X39, with iron sights, a Boonie Packer Safari Sling, using Hornady 123gr Hornady Black with SST bullets

3. A Ruger Blackhawk in .357 magnum, iron sights, using Hornady Custom XTP 158 gr cartridges, carried in a custom Tactical Talor tanker holster;

4. A Glock Gen 3 G21 .45 ACP or Gen4 G22 .40 for backup, carried in a custom Tactical Tailor tactical thigh holster, using Speer Gold Dot and/or Buffalo Bore 230 gr JHP cartridges for the G21; for the G22, Federal 180 gr HST and/or Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator 140 gr cartridges.

I too went back and forth between .308, 30-06 and .270, and ultimately decided on .308, because for me it was an ideal compromise configured to the likely areas (Okanogan Forest area) and likely shooting distances (70-300 yards); I liked the caliber and shorter cartridge/action.

The 7.62 X 39 I envision as a short-range (<150-200 yards) modern equivalent to the 30-30, possibly with a bit longer legs if needed. At this point, I plan on keeping the CZ 527 iron-sighted, both as a short-range brush gun, and as a foul-weather backup to the CZ 550.

Best, Jon

eclecticmoose
08-02-2019, 04:42 PM

Tikka T3 Hunter .30-06
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40
EGW Rail
Perhaps Weaver rings?--can't remember
Limbsaver recoil pad

I had the Tikka 5-rd magazine inserted for the photo, but I normally use the OEM 3-rd magazine. I may have selected a little too much magnification on the scope for my area, but other than that no complaints. I've used 150 grain SP handloads with IMR 4350 but recently worked up a 180 grain Partition load so as to be ready for a potential moose tag.

Gray Ghost
08-02-2019, 04:55 PM
I've used 150 grain SP handholds with IMR 4350 but recently worked up a 180 grain Partition load so as to be ready for a potential moose tag.

In my experience IMR4350 is the correct powder for .30-06 Springfield. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

eclecticmoose
08-02-2019, 04:59 PM
In my experience IMR4350 is the correct powder for .30-06 Springfield. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I agree but can't take credit for the selection, it's simply what my friend's dad always used with the '06 when he taught us to reload. Just always stuck with it since then. :cool:

Pistol Pete 10
08-03-2019, 05:20 PM
I hunt with a Ruger 77MarkII, .270, has a Leupold 3-9X40 Vari-xII on it. My longest shot ever was at 400 yards with another 77 with a 4X M8 Leupold on it. 4X was easy enough to hit with at 400 but couldn't see the horns as the buck was stnding in the shade, always have binos with you, I wouldn't have taken the shot if I hadn't had the binos. I like 6X for a hunting scope unless in the brush.

SteveB
08-05-2019, 05:32 AM
For 20+ years of deer hunting in CT, I used a custom Winchester Model 70 in .308 with a 19” barrel and a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8X36:

These days, there’s no need to spend big bucks on custom rifles as there are so many good choices off the rack. Since moving to FL a couple of years ago, I’ve been using a Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5CM, 18” barrel, Nightforce NXS 2.5-10. That’s an Area 417 suppressor mount as I’m waiting for a TBAC 6.5 Ultra 7 to clear the NFA. If I wanted to spend less, I’d definitely go with the T3X and Leupold.

Isaac
08-05-2019, 07:58 AM
Some great looking rifles!

Would totally get one of those Tikkas in wood in my area allowed the rounds they come in.

Limited to 450 Bush, .44, .375, etc.

MolonLabe416
08-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Steve

How are you liking the Barrett?

It, along with the Sauer, are on my shortlist. I like the 60 degree bolt throw on the Sauer as well as that it is less expensive. But, there’s a lot of things I like about the Barrett too.

Gray Ghost
08-07-2019, 08:18 PM

Would totally get one of those Tikkas in wood in my area allowed the rounds they come in.

If you can have a .375 H&H Magnum, it is a fine cartridge. I have a Winchester 70 so chambered with a Leupold vx 3i 3-10x40. It shoots sub-MOA and with a 200 yard zero, it will serve well for just about anything on the planet.

Sigfan26
08-07-2019, 08:44 PM

Did you mean .357? Sounds like you are in a straight wall case restricted area.

StraitR
08-07-2019, 11:58 PM
Sounds like the OP made some great choices.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, here is my Tikka T3x that I use for hunting in Central Florida. We have mostly woods with dense underbrush and swamp/marshland. My goal was to set up a general purpose or practical rifle, and with most shots on deer, hogs, and coyotes around here at less than 50 yards, it works well for hunting. Goals and range guided my choices, as did the desire for a factory threaded barrel for shooting suppressed.

T3x CTR 20" .308
SilencerCo Omega
Razor Gen II-E 1-6
Warne Maxima QD rings
Triad Tactical stock pack
Wilderness Rhodesian Sling

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48485621467_0e1e40a57e_c.jpg

Hieronymous
08-08-2019, 12:16 AM
Sounds like the OP made some great choices.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, here is my Tikka T3x that I use for hunting in Central Florida. We have mostly woods with dense underbrush and swamp/marshland. My goal was to set up a general purpose or practical rifle, and with most shots on deer, hogs, and coyotes around here at less than 50 yards, it works well for hunting. Goals and range guided my choices, as did the desire for a factory threaded barrel for shooting suppressed.

T3x CTR 20" .308
SilencerCo Omega
Razor Gen II-E 1-6
Warne Maxima QD rings
Triad Tactical stock pack
Wilderness Rhodesian Sling

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48485621467_0e1e40a57e_c.jpg

Nice set up! Have you found the stock pack handy? I have seen a version by SKD Tactical and thought it a neat way to carry my ammo and perhaps stow lens wipes and/or scope covers; or it could add unnecessary bulk?

StraitR
08-08-2019, 12:31 AM
Nice set up! Have you found the stock pack handy? I have seen a version by SKD Tactical and thought it a neat way to carry my ammo and perhaps stow lens wipes and/or scope covers; or it could add unnecessary bulk?

I've had this one from Triad Tactical for a number of years.

As far as functionality, I tend to put my mag in it for transport/storage, keep spare foam earplugs in it, and enjoy the bit of padding and elevation it provides for a repeatable cheek rest (it forms a subtle dent that I use as a reference point for my cheek). Lastly, I really like it in the summer when the FL sun is pounding down and I don't have to put my cheek on a scorching hot black stock. Same reason all my AR stocks/grips are in FDE or Foliage.

ETA: It doesn't get in my way. When it's empty (just foam plugs), it mostly lays flat on itself. I haven't seen the SKD version, but I know Triad now offers the same pad but without the pack, if you're worried about bulk.

CS Tactical
08-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Found a pic and specs on Dan's 'old' rig

-Rubicon Precision 30/28 Nosler(Reamer designed by DB)
-Lone Peak Fuzion TI Action
-Proof Carbon Barrel - 28" Sendero - 9 Twist
-XLR Carbon Chassis with Folder
-XLR Bag Rider
-Henderson Precision Arca Plate
-MBM Ti Brake
-Vortex AMG
-Nightforce Rings
-Accurate Mags
-Currently using 230 Hybrids ~2950
-Weight ~10.5lbs

"Took this rig on a Mule deer hunt this year and it worked out great."

Matt C.
08-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Old Reliable
Ruger RS .358 Win.
Leupold 2.5 compacthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190811/680eb8be8df3e8c88c3bfb88f29c92a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Isaac
08-12-2019, 07:48 AM
Did you mean .357? Sounds like you are in a straight wall case restricted area.

oops, yes :)

03RN
08-12-2019, 08:35 AM

Rossi M92
I need to do some load development though. AE 158 jsps shoot pretty good. Same as 158 swc-wn over 13.5gr 2400. Either would be fine I guess.

SteveB
08-16-2019, 06:53 AM
Steve

How are you liking the Barrett?

It, along with the Sauer, are on my shortlist. I like the 60 degree bolt throw on the Sauer as well as that it is less expensive. But, there’s a lot of things I like about the Barrett too.

I love it. As pictured, it weighs a hair under 7 lbs. It’s a perfect FL rifle, where if your gear isn’t damp, it’s downright wet. It’s short and well-balanced, so it’s easy to manage in a kayak. Perfect trigger, slick action. Shoots sub-MOA with factory ammo. Used to be, to get a rifle this good, you needed to spend a fair amount of time and money on a custom job. To be able to buy one this good off the shelf still blows my mind.

texasaggie2005
08-19-2019, 04:37 PM
So I have finally decided to get into a budget bolt gun for this upcoming deer season. My goal is a simple, lightweight setup. Vast majority of my hunting in 300yds and closer. I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM (https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26973.html).

Now I'm looking at scopes, and the choices are mind boggling. Any recommendations? I have a hard budget of $750 for scope & rings.

But.

I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 LPVO on my AR that I'm considering to move over onto the Ruger. Is that dumb?

(edited to add: I'm pretty much a 'tard when it comes to MOA vs Mil, so I'm open to using / learning either)

MSparks909
08-19-2019, 06:28 PM
So I have finally decided to get into a budget bolt gun for this upcoming deer season. My goal is a simple, lightweight setup. Vast majority of my hunting in 300yds and closer. I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM (https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26973.html).

Now I'm looking at scopes, and the choices are mind boggling. Any recommendations? I have a hard budget of $750 for scope & rings.

But.

I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 LPVO on my AR that I'm considering to move over onto the Ruger. Is that dumb?

(edited to add: I'm pretty much a 'tard when it comes to MOA vs Mil, so I'm open to using / learning either)

Following as I’ve been eyeing the same gun as of late.

Duelist
08-19-2019, 06:58 PM

But.

There isn’t a deer out there that would know you didn’t buy a new scope to shoot it with.

texasaggie2005
08-19-2019, 07:35 PM
Following as I’ve been eyeing the same gun as of late.

I'll update after I get setup.

There isn’t a deer out there that would know you didn’t buy a new scope to shoot it with.

True. Just not confident that a max of 6x with the triangle reticle will offer the same degree of precision the rifle is capable of.

OlongJohnson
08-19-2019, 10:12 PM
As said many places elsewhere, a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x32 is hard to criticize as a basic whitetail scope. Long distance guys who crank knobs a lot are critical of Leupolds, but people who get their scopes zeroed and go out in the woods and kill things seem to love them. Inside 300 with 6.5CM, you should be able to handle any necessary holdovers Kentucky-style if you've done enough range work ahead of time; sounds like you may have enough experience to know that. Below the VX-3 level, Leupolds stop being really good value, but the VX-3 level seems to be a sweet spot for usable glass without breaking the bank. They also tend to be quite a bit more compact and lighter than comparable optics from most brands, which people who hike with their rifles usually appreciate.

I'd ditch the Pic rail and buy some steel mounts like these https://warnescopemounts.com/product/m902902m/ that will let you get that slim little scope closer to the comb line.

I also like these rings. https://warnescopemounts.com/product/200lm-1-inch-quick-detach-low-matte-rings/
Everything is strong steel. You can replace the QD handles with socket head cap screws and washers so they can't get knocked loose accidentally, but you keep the ability to remove the scope from the rifle without disrupting its relationship to the rings. So you can take it off for shipping or transport just to be sure it doesn't get knocked around, or have a back up scope pre-zeroed if something goes wrong with the primary, or change scopes between shooting scenarios without having to start at zero on the setup when mounting them.

I heard of early adopters of Americans sometimes having trouble with magazines, but Ruger would always make it right. So be sure to vet it for reliability with the exact ammo you'll use, well ahead of any serious trips.

HCM
08-20-2019, 01:04 AM
As said many places elsewhere, a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x32 is hard to criticize as a basic whitetail scope. Long distance guys who crank knobs a lot are critical of Leupolds, but people who get their scopes zeroed and go out in the woods and kill things seem to love them. Inside 300 with 6.5CM, you should be able to handle any necessary holdovers Kentucky-style if you've done enough range work ahead of time; sounds like you may have enough experience to know that. Below the VX-3 level, Leupolds stop being really good value, but the VX-3 level seems to be a sweet spot for usable glass without breaking the bank. They also tend to be quite a bit more compact and lighter than comparable optics from most brands, which people who hike with their rifles usually appreciate.

I'd ditch the Pic rail and buy some steel mounts like these https://warnescopemounts.com/product/m902902m/ that will let you get that slim little scope closer to the comb line.

I also like these rings. https://warnescopemounts.com/product/200lm-1-inch-quick-detach-low-matte-rings/
Everything is strong steel. You can replace the QD handles with socket head cap screws and washers so they can't get knocked loose accidentally, but you keep the ability to remove the scope from the rifle without disrupting its relationship to the rings. So you can take it off for shipping or transport just to be sure it doesn't get knocked around, or have a back up scope pre-zeroed if something goes wrong with the primary, or change scopes between shooting scenarios without having to start at zero on the setup when mounting them.

I heard of early adopters of Americans sometimes having trouble with magazines, but Ruger would always make it right. So be sure to vet it for reliability with the exact ammo you'll use, well ahead of any serious trips.

The current gen Ruger Americans with the Magpul AI mags addresses the issue you describe. They also stiffened the forearm so you don’t have to take an exact knife to it to keep it from contact with the barrel.

Matt C.
08-20-2019, 08:47 AM

True. Just not confident that a max of 6x with the triangle reticle will offer the same degree of precision the rifle is capable of.I use a German #1 reticle in a Leupold 2.5.
I don't believe precision at 300 yds will be an issue with the aforementioned glass.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

texasaggie2005
08-20-2019, 09:05 AM
Been playing with Strelok this morning, maybe it's not too bad to put the LPVO on the 6.5cm. But past 300yds, it's all wild ass guess and Kentucky windage.

Hornady 143gr ELD-X @ est. 2,650 ft/s from the 22" barrel and a 200yd zero at the tip;

Nephrology
08-20-2019, 11:23 AM

True. Just not confident that a max of 6x with the triangle reticle will offer the same degree of precision the rifle is capable of.

The Leupold Mark 1 Mod AR series is being discontinued and can be found at great prices. I have the 6-18 and the 3-9 Firedot.

Cabelas (https://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupold-reg-Mark-AR-Mod-Riflescope/1573139.uts) occasionally lists them for close to nothing to clear their inventory - the 6-18 mildot was on sale at $250 not long ago. I paid $250 for my 3-9 firedot and consider it a great value. It's mounted on my 20" AR, does very well for me.

ASH556
08-20-2019, 11:47 AM
texasaggie2005

As someone who's over-scoped more than my fair share of rifles, I'll advise you not to go down that rabbit hole.

I've done it more times that I can count. It usually goes something like this:

"I want a nice, light, all around rifle that's fairly accurate."
"Holy cow, this thing shoots, it deserves better glass!"
(removes optic suited to the original purpose of the gun and mounts something like a Nightforce with too much weight and magnification for the intended purpose in order to "wring performance out of the gun.)
(ends up hating the new "too-heavy" and "over-magnified" setup. Ends up swapping back to other optic or selling the whole setup outright.)

Unless you want to keep the 1-6 Trijicon on your AR, start with that. If you do want to keep it on your AR, buy a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36, mount it on the Ruger and shoot. When you encounter a shooting problem that your optic prevented you from solving, assess the situation and purchase a new optic accordingly.

I've found myself in WAY more situations where I wished I had lower mag than situations where I wish I had higher mag. Further, upon obtaining higher mag, I've found I could shoot no more accurately than I had with the lower mag.

Also, watch your reticle design. If primarily for hunting, a super-fine target (mil-hash, etc, etc) reticle will disappear at dusk and dawn in the woods.

SteveB
08-20-2019, 02:58 PM
I can’t think of a better deer hunting scope, in terms of value and features than the Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8X36. Even better, you can get the scope from the Leupold Custom Shop with a custom BDC reticle based on your rifle/load ballistics. $399 for the scope and $70 for the reticle; it’s a deal. I’ve had 5 of them, and I know GJM has had a bunch of these, and they are great.

https://customshop.leupold.com/configure/vx-3i-2-5-8x36mm/?s=708&f%5B%5D=116&r=&aw=5&ae=5

Slalom.45
08-20-2019, 03:05 PM
BCM Recce 16" with Aimpoint PRO.

OlongJohnson
08-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x32

Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36

I was sloppy. It's a 36.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-2-5-8x36mm

ASH556
08-20-2019, 06:31 PM
I was sloppy. It's a 36.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-2-5-8x36mm

To be fair, the handgun version is x32, and this is pistol-forum. I’m sure that’s what you were thinking ;)

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/handgun-scopes/vx-3-handgun-2-5-8x32mm

OlongJohnson
08-20-2019, 06:55 PM
Well, the last gun I shopped scopes for was a Contender, so you may be right about the source of my confusion. But I have two of the rifle scopes, and that's what I meant to discuss in this thread.

Lost River
08-20-2019, 07:10 PM

But.

This scope:

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U

The SWFA 3x9 MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA whatever you prefer. I used to be a Leupold fan before their quality tanked and they started sourcing parts overseas. Now unless I am going to save to coin for a Nightforce (which is rare these days), I buy SWFAs and have been very satisfied with their repeatability, and durability in using them in the field and on the range.

Years back I bought a fixed 10X swfa and put it on my primary elk rifle (a .300WM Tikka T3). The idea was that it would suffice until I saved up for a Nightforce. However after using the SWFA 10X for a while, I was extremely happy and decided that there was no need to spend the $$ for the NF for my intended purposes.

Anyways back to your needs/intentions; I think that this will give you not only a very reliable optic, as well as fit within your budget, but it will also allow you to have one that will allow you to learn to dial for longer shots should you eventually want to learn to do so.

As a side note, my oldest daughter's .308 wears a fixed 6X SWFA zeroed for 300 yards and it is very easy to ring small steel plates with it at fairly decent distances.

https://i.imgur.com/WWCXC3c.jpg?1

texasaggie2005
08-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Lost River

I was looking pretty hard at the SWFA choices after reading one of your previous posts.

I think for now, I'm just going to use my Trijicon 1-6 until I can articulate a true need for something different.

AKDoug
08-21-2019, 10:32 PM
For rifles carried more than they are shot, I go for ultra light weight if possible.

My current deer rifle is a Savage 16 LW Hunter in 7-08 topped with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 and a VTac lightweight hunting sling. The whole outfit is 7.0 lbs fully loaded.

Lost River
08-21-2019, 11:00 PM
Lost River

I was looking pretty hard at the SWFA choices after reading one of your previous posts.

I think for now, I'm just going to use my Trijicon 1-6 until I can articulate a true need for something different.

You should be able to do some pretty good work with a 6X, so I think you will be punching a lot of tags, especially if your max ranges are generally 300 yards.

Happy hunting!

Poconnor
08-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Anybody try the SWFA 2.5-10x32 scope?

StraitR
08-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Anybody try the SWFA 2.5-10x32 scope?

I've looked hard at it as a simple and lightweight option. I've had two SWFA fixed power scopes. They were both solid, seemingly very well built, and the turrets were extremely repeatable (did a lot of elevation dialing on a rimfire out to 220y). I'm curious if the "lightweight" offerings are as rugged.

SWFA has great Black Friday prices on their branded optics. They tend to go fast though. I bought both of mine on BF sales. I'll be looking again this year.
Lost River Sadly, it looks like they don't have a MOA/MOA version of the 3-9x HD right now. :confused:

Moshjath
08-23-2019, 10:50 AM
This is what I’ll be using this year:41605

A Marlin 336Y with a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8 in a DNZ mount.

I like it because the youth length stock and the 16” barrel is pretty handy (I’m five seven) and it should perform well down here in the woods of the SE US.

OlongJohnson
08-23-2019, 02:35 PM
Heckuva deal going on Tikkas over here, with a $75 rebate. Even have some left handed 6.5CMs in stock for you sinister folks out there.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/tikka-t3x-superlite-rifle/p/p46876

Superlite is like a Lite, but with a fluted barrel.

MSparks909
08-23-2019, 04:00 PM
Picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor today from the local GS. Plan on throwing a scope on it next month (leaning towards a Vortex Viper PST G2 3-15x44 FFP at the moment). Overkill on scope but I’d also like to do some casual long range shooting with this setup too so having 15-16x on the high end is appealing to me right now.

texasaggie2005
09-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Got my new RAP in 6.5CM out to the range over the weekend. Ended up putting a SWFA fixed 10x scope on it that I found for cheap. Even shooting cheap Winchester 125gr ammo, I was easily under 1.5" groups at 100 yards. With better ammo and more practice (I suck at this type of shooting) I suspect it will shoot a lot better.

https://imgur.com/NhGwPck.jpg

deputyG23
09-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Any opinions on the TC Compass rifles for an inexpensive hunting/informal range rig? Considering one in 6.5 CM.

CS Tactical
09-19-2019, 03:50 PM
-XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium Chassis and Carbon Buttsock
-Lone Peak Fuzion Ti Action
-Proof Research 20" Carbon Barrel
-Rubicon Precision 6.5 Creedmoor
-MBM Ti Muzzle Brake
-Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50(on lower rings now)

Weight ~ 8lbs-9lbs depending on accessories and bipod

95% finished here the 6.5CM 20" barrel is shown... A folding stock was added, low Nightforce rings and we're waiting for a production Nightforce NX8 to come in :)

Hieronymous
10-13-2019, 05:34 PM

I finally sighted in my Tikka T3X (https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/bolt-action/tikka-t3x-6-5-creedmoor-prod101421.aspx) (Blue Barrel) in 6.5 Creedmoor. Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm CDS-ZL2 with the Firedot.
Thanks to all for the feedback. I have to say that the the Firedot was a great help. Too bad I wasn’t smart enough to turn it on until the end. My experience with scopes has been very limited. I would have saved time and ammo if anyone of you had been handy to offer your wisdom. Nevertheless, I should be dialed in for deer season. Getting excited to finally harvest my first deer!

ranger
10-13-2019, 05:52 PM

I finally sighted in my Tikka T3X (Blue Barrel) in 6.5 Creedmoor. Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm CDS-ZL2 with the Firedot.
Thanks to all for the feedback. I have to say that the the Firedot was a great help. Too bad I wasn’t smart enough to turn it on until the end. My experience with scopes has been very limited. I would have saved time and ammo if anyone of you had been handy to offer your wisdom. Nevertheless, I should be dialed in for deer season. Getting excited to finally harvest my first deer!

Very nice setup. I suggest you consider Precision Hunter 6.5 143 ELDX ammunition.

SteveB
10-16-2019, 05:38 AM
Very nice setup. I suggest you consider Precision Hunter 6.5 143 ELDX ammunition.

If you’re going to eat that deer, I’d also try a copper bullet. Barnes 120 TTSX and all of the Hornady 120 GMX loads shoot well out of my 6.5CM’s.

LittleLebowski
10-16-2019, 07:37 AM
I'm just gonna go be poor somewhere else. Fucking nice rig, man.

-Proof Research 20" Carbon Barrel
-Rubicon Precision 6.5 Creedmoor
-MBM Ti Muzzle Brake
-Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50(on lower rings now)

95% finished here the 6.5CM 20" barrel is shown... A folding stock was added, low Nightforce rings and we're waiting for a production Nightforce NX8 to come in :)

maximus83
10-16-2019, 10:02 AM

I finally sighted in my Tikka T3X (https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/bolt-action/tikka-t3x-6-5-creedmoor-prod101421.aspx) (Blue Barrel) in 6.5 Creedmoor. Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm CDS-ZL2 with the Firedot.

Good choice, it'll be a shooter. My new setup is very similar--Tikkta T3x LH 6.5 CM, Leupold VX-6hd 2-12x T-MOA reticle.

CS Tactical
10-16-2019, 12:13 PM
I'm just gonna go be poor somewhere else. Fucking nice rig, man.

That's ok, neither can I personally right now :cool: This is Dan B's rig who's the FNG of CS Tactical

Here's the final configuration:

-Proof Research 24" Carbon Fiber Barrel in .284 (Additional 20" barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor)
-Rubicon Precision did the gunsmith
-MBM Ti Muzzle Brake
-Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 Mil-C

https://scontent.fsac1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/71371444_3138872532821905_6583000299902861312_o.jp g?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQmG1onDIPPM94DDJ1JShZ5YWq9oj07OG_L1N8N-yS0OmRfB3Ekybh72VT-M83TQ2po&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-1.fna&oh=b4e09c8630ac5c5e133c24f9737621f6&oe=5E33899C