PDA

View Full Version : Step 1: Require NRA Directors to Attend Board Meetings

Tiffany Johnson
07-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Hey Everyone!

Over in the NRA Sh*t Storm thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37330-The-Shit-Storm-that-is-the-NRA-Today-amp-How-We-Got-Here), there have been several comments along the lines of "what can we do?" Well, I recently helped to draft some of the messaging for a new organization called Save the Second. It was discussed a bit over in the other thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37330-The-Shit-Storm-that-is-the-NRA-Today-amp-How-We-Got-Here/page11). If you haven't heard about it, here's their website (http://www.savethe2a.org/), and here's their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/SaveThe2A/). Bottom line, it's a bunch of NRA members hoping to fix the NRA from the inside - essentially save the NRA from itself. Here are the five goals they're working on:

Reduce the size of the board (requires bylaw amendment)
Term limits for board members (bylaw amendment)
Attendance requirements for board members (bylaw amendment)
Better engagement with and by the membership - getting members more involved and increasing voter turnout
Returning to a hard focus on the Second Amendment issues, instead of smashing television sets with sledgehammers (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mb8wwp/nratv-shut-down-by-the-nra-dana-loesch-worst-segments) and putting KKK hoods on toy trains (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mb8wwp/nratv-shut-down-by-the-nra-dana-loesch-worst-segments)

They've rolled out their first proposed bylaw amendment, and that's the one to require minimum attendance for directors. In order to get that amendment on the agenda for a vote at the September board meeting, they need 250 signatures by August 1st. I know, tight deadline. I should have posted this sooner; sorry, I've just been swamped. But if you're a voting-eligible NRA member and you agree that board members should actually attend board meetings, please consider adding your name to the petition. You can find simple instructions, the petition itself, and the return mailing address on their website: http://www.savethe2a.org/petitions/. Hope some of you will sign and return it ASAP (and if you've got buddies who want to sign, even better).

Reality check: I'm not super-optimistic that this amendment will pass. But I do want to get it before the Board and make the directors take action on it. I'm hoping for a roll-call vote so we can see exactly where every board member stands on this issue. Even if it's not successful, it's a step in the right direction.

To be clear, Save the Second ain't perfect, LOL. No organization is :-). But as far as I've found, they're the only outfit that's actually doing something about the NRA mess rather than just talking about it. So, I'm on board. I think they'll be introducing the next amendments for the January board meeting, but I'm not sure. I bet they'll probably reassess after we see what happens in September. If any of the STS board members are here on PF, please do chime in. And if you guys know of any other grassroots groups that are taking action, by all means please post them, because I'd like to support internal change however I can. I know about Dell'Aquila's effort (https://helpsavethenra.com/), but that one is geared more towards big-dollar donors (which ain't me).

Thanks, everyone!

Tiff :-)

ranger
07-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Done. In mail Monday. I want to help improve from "inside" - Life Member.

TDA
07-21-2019, 12:05 PM
I’ll get mine in the mail Monday. Thanks!

SeriousStudent
07-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Thank you Tiff!

Totem Polar
07-21-2019, 02:36 PM
Already downloaded; looking to leverage that ‘life member’ status on my end, too. Thanks for posting, Tiffany.

Drang
07-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Petition #1 printed out, circulating.

...I know about Dell'Aquila's effort (https://helpsavethenra.com/), but that one is geared more towards big-dollar donors (which ain't me).
"Phase 3 released week of July 8th...":rolleyes:

Tiffany Johnson
07-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Petition #1 printed out, circulating.

"Phase 3 released week of July 8th...":rolleyes:LOL [emoji4]

www.FrontSightPress.com
www.CitizensSafety.com
www.Rangemaster.com

SAWBONES
07-21-2019, 08:18 PM
Done, goes out in tomorrow's mail.

Stephanie B
07-22-2019, 05:05 AM
I know about Dell'Aquila's effort (https://helpsavethenra.com/), but that one is geared more towards big-dollar donors (which ain't me).
In the middle of at least two AGs investigating the NRA, those clowns are having a board meeting in Alaska so they can go on a luxury fishing trip on the NRA’s dime? WLP and his cronies have to be arrogant AF, world-class stupid, or a mixture of both.

olstyn
07-22-2019, 06:23 AM
In the middle of at least two AGs investigating the NRA, those clowns are having a board meeting in Alaska so they can go on a luxury fishing trip on the NRA’s dime? WLP and his cronies have to be arrogant AF, world-class stupid, or a mixture of both.

Agree. As an organization that is [theoretically] about advocating for rights, WTF are they doing *ever* spending donated money that way? I've been reluctant to become a member for a long time, and this kind of stuff does not encourage me to change my mind.

Stephanie B
07-22-2019, 09:24 AM
My signed petition is in the mail.

LittleLebowski
07-22-2019, 09:40 AM
I just blasted this via email from PF to everyone who's ever registered on PF. Please don't throw too much refuse at me. I believe in what Tiffany Johnson is doing here and I want to support her efforts as much as I and PF can.

Obviously, ignore the email if you have already filled out this petition or if you disagree.

Tiffany Johnson
07-22-2019, 09:46 AM
I just blasted this via email from PF to everyone who's ever registered on PF. Please don't throw too much refuse at me. I believe in what Tiffany Johnson is doing here and I want to support her efforts as much as I and PF can.

Obviously, ignore the email if you have already filled out this petition or if you disagree.Yay! [emoji3] Thanks a million!

www.FrontSightPress.com
www.CitizensSafety.com
www.Rangemaster.com

LittleLebowski
07-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Yay! [emoji3] Thanks a million!

www.FrontSightPress.com
www.CitizensSafety.com
www.Rangemaster.com

No, thank you :)

Tiffany Johnson
07-22-2019, 09:59 AM
In the middle of at least two AGs investigating the NRA, those clowns are having a board meeting in Alaska so they can go on a luxury fishing trip on the NRA’s dime? WLP and his cronies have to be arrogant AF, world-class stupid, or a mixture of both.Hey Steph! For whatever it's worth, in my second letter to the NRA Board, I warned about the bad optics of going to Alaska now and asked if they'd be willing to relocate the meeting to HQ. I was told that because Northern Virginia is so expensive, it's actually cheaper to go to Alaska. I suggested that they make some effort to communicate that to the members. I haven't seen any.

I was also told that the contracts with the hotels are years old, and they can't cancel them now. And at least one director accused me of being anti-Alaska and said my suggestion was insulting to our two board members from Alaska.

I don't know about the flights or hotel costs, but I do know at least one reason why Alaska *might* actually be cheaper. In Fairfax, they bring in not just the 76 board members but also the committee members. In Alaska, several of the committees are not meeting. I know on Outreach (before I was kicked off, LOL), we were going to meet by phone because we weren't funded for the Alaska meeting. I'm not sure how many other committees aren't meeting.

As for the cruise, I know there is a movement afoot among directors and donors to cancel that. I suspect they might be contractually bound at this point, but I have no idea.

Personally, I wish they'd find a less luxurious but still perfectly serviceable hotel somewhere outside of expensive Fairfax - or even somewhere else, a different city - to hold board meetings. There's no rule in the bylaws that says the board must meet near HQ. They could save a ton of money and avoid the appearance of being tone-deaf at best and fiscally irresponsible at worst.

www.FrontSightPress.com
www.CitizensSafety.com
www.Rangemaster.com

RoyGBiv
07-22-2019, 10:21 AM
In the post box this morning.

Thanks!

Stephanie B
07-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Hey Steph! For whatever it's worth, in my second letter to the NRA Board, I warned about the bad optics of going to Alaska now and asked if they'd be willing to relocate the meeting to HQ. I was told that because Northern Virginia is so expensive, it's actually cheaper to go to Alaska. I suggested that they make some effort to communicate that to the members. I haven't seen any.

I was also told that the contracts with the hotels are years old, and they can't cancel them now. And at least one director accused me of being anti-Alaska and said my suggestion was insulting to our two board members from Alaska.

I don't know about the flights or hotel costs, but I do know at least one reason why Alaska *might* actually be cheaper. In Fairfax, they bring in not just the 76 board members but also the committee members. In Alaska, several of the committees are not meeting. I know on Outreach (before I was kicked off, LOL), we were going to meet by phone because we weren't funded for the Alaska meeting. I'm not sure how many other committees aren't meeting.

As for the cruise, I know there is a movement afoot among directors and donors to cancel that. I suspect they might be contractually bound at this point, but I have no idea.

Personally, I wish they'd find a less luxurious but still perfectly serviceable hotel somewhere outside of expensive Fairfax - or even somewhere else, a different city - to hold board meetings. There's no rule in the bylaws that says the board must meet near HQ. They could save a ton of money and avoid the appearance of being tone-deaf at best and fiscally irresponsible at worst.

They do need to communicate with the members, but all they deign to do is give up the Mushroom Treatment.

I applaud you for trying to reform the NRA. But I fear that WLP's tentacles are dug in too deep.

trailrunner
07-22-2019, 04:07 PM

FWIW - I live about 10 miles from the HQ. Yeah, the DC area can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be. I'm sure there are plenty of nice, mid-range places where they could have a meeting. Their HQ is in the 'burbs a bit, and the price drops off once you get away from downtown DC. Last month another club that I'm in held a weekend (Friday - Sunday) event at a Marriott or Sheraton in Tyson's Corner (a reasonably nice area) for a very modest cost. At the same time we were there, there was some sort of comic-con going on, so they also could afford it. With three major airports close by, flight don't have to be expensive.

They chose their HQ to be close to DC, and I think most members understand why. Most members also probably understand that doing business in the area is going to be a bit more expensive, but as long as productivity is maximized, and there is no appearance of it being a boondoggle, most members would not object.

Arbninftry
07-23-2019, 12:25 AM
IN LIKE FLYNN.

You know hugh????
HUGHH DAMN RIGHT

uechibear
07-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Another signed petition from a Life Member here who doesn't want his membership wasted will be going into the mail.

I'm going to spread the word on another gun forum, as well, when I get out of work!

Glenn E. Meyer
07-23-2019, 10:46 AM
I've sticky'ed the petition another gun forum after staff discussion.

Tiffany Johnson
07-23-2019, 02:32 PM
I've sticky'ed the petition another gun forum after staff discussion.Thanks so much!

www.FrontSightPress.com
www.CitizensSafety.com
www.Rangemaster.com

wrt81
07-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Going to mail mine tomorrow.

SC_Dave
07-25-2019, 10:53 AM
Done!

baddean
07-26-2019, 05:13 PM
Thanks, Tiffany
Done

Borderland
07-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Why can't they just meet in LV like everybody else.

That city is 100% geared up for conventions and board meetings, if you know what I mean.

Haven't seen anything in my box.

Erick Gelhaus
08-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Any word on the number of signatures?

Yung
08-05-2019, 02:14 AM
Oops, posted in wrong thread.

Totem Polar
08-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Any word on the number of signatures?

Double the number needed. Moving on to the next step. #shitgettingreal (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=shitgettingreal)