PDA

View Full Version : Two years with G43; six months with a G48...

CTX44
07-19-2019, 11:09 PM
I will start this by saying I’m a lil OCD about reliability issues, and so other folks might have had different experiences.

I am very fond of both these guns and carry them regularly. I’ve got maybe 6,000 rounds through the G43 and 3,000 rounds through the G48. A substantial amount of that is with HST and Gold dots, not ball. I noticed early that both guns got a little bit hiccup-y with certain types of hollowpoints, especially shooting from compromised positions, one handed etc. Because I noticed this early on, I ended up putting several cases of carry ammo through both guns. These are the only ammo-sensitive Glocks I have ever owned. I’ve now put more money in HSTs and Gold Dots through these guns than I paid for the guns themselves.

Both guns are accurate and reliable but not the way a G17 or G19 is. They are extremely accurate, actually. With ammo they like, both guns will stack most of their magazine in the X ring at 25 yards, if I can do my part. They are definitely more accurate than some of my sloppier full size Glocks.

Reliability is another story. If you’ve also shot a few thousand rounds of HST’s and gold dots through your G43 or G48, I’m very happy to hear if your experience differs from mine. I would love to find out that in fact, I have simply bought two lemons. But I’m guessing most folks shoot mostly ball and maybe run a box of HSTs or Gold Dots and call it good. For the G43 or 48 that might not be enough. In fact, I can say pretty confidently that it is not enough.

What I found is that the G43 runs very well with the stock 6 round magazines. If you stick with those magazines, you’re good. But the instant you put an extended base plate on, you’re messing with a very tightly calibrated system with a much narrower window of function than a G17 has.

Again, ball is not an issue—all of my issues revolved around feeding HSTs and Gold dots of various weights (115, 124, 147). At any rate, the G43 needs a very strong magazine spring. The Zev extra power springs are basically a requirement if you run an extended baseplate, or eventually you’ll end up with feeding issues.

Note—I have like ten magazines for each of these guns. I numbered them and began keeping careful notes when all this shit started happening. I was praying for this to be a magazine issue. It isn’t.

Other than needing a lot more magazine spring tension than the full sized Glocks, another weak spot is the recoil spring. It really does not last very long. I went through them every five hundred rounds, or sometimes half that if I was shooting hot ammo.

Another thing both guns are picky about is slide velocity. Under adverse conditions (weak hand shooting, slightly weak mag spring, slightly weak recoil spring), neither gun runs well with heavier ammo, especially everyone’s favorite (and mine), 147 HST. I would be very careful about running this stuff in those guns, especially if the recoil spring has some mileage and you’re running an extended baseplate. I got regular failures to return to battery when everything wasn’t perfect.

I think that while the 147’s generate a strong recoil impulse, they are not as snappy as 124’s and 115 grain loads. With the 147’s, once you get some miles on both of these guns, you can often feel the slide sluggishly popping that final 1/8” into battery. This is with 147 HSTs and 147 HST +P’s—I noticed no difference between the two.

124’s were better, but still not perfect. In my G43, at least with an extended baseplate and some miles on the recoil spring, the only round I found that functioned with total reliability is the 115 gold dot. It just runs the slide quicker—returns to battery every time. With any other ammo than 115 Gold dot, as soon as the mag spring gets weak or the recoil spring gets weak, you can easily induce a failure to feed or failure to return to battery, by shooting with a slightly compromised grip. The 115 Gold Dots I simply could not get to jam.

Note that in an effort to address these issues, I polished the shit out of the feed ramp and every single other friction inducing part on the gun. My G43 is probably the smoothest one on earth. Definitely the smoothest Glock I own. Maybe the polishing helped, I dunno.

The G48 shares some of the same issues, mostly in that it uses the same marginal recoil spring assembly. The factory mag springs are very strong and probably no one’s putting a baseplate on.

The 147 HST’s definitely ran in the G48 when the gun was brand new—in fact they ran so well that I put a taller front sight on to get the POI set for them. But as soon as the recoil spring got some miles on it, you could FEEL the slide barely popping back into battery, very weakly, that final 1/8”. Dirty gun, weak recoil spring, compromised grip…those 147’s are not going to run. I swapped the front sight back one that zerod the gun for 124’s and 115’s.

For whatever reason, maybe because the slide weighs more, my G48 seems to run pretty well with 124’s. I managed to induce a malfunction with 124 HSTs, but only by barely holding onto the gun with a few fingers. Still, with 115’s it just runs no matter what.

That’s all I got. Just thought I’d share. I love these guns. But getting them to run defensive ammo with the reliability you’d expect from a G17 or G19 has been a bit of an exercise. Or to put it more precisely—they can definitely be as reliable, but not with every ammo. If you’re just running ball for training, you might not ever run into these issues at all. If you ran a box of carry ammo through the gun right after you bought it, and since then you've put 1K rounds of ball through it, and put an extended baseplate on, it might be worth rechecking your carry ammo, especially with a one handed grip.

Doc_Glock
07-20-2019, 01:19 AM
Amazing write up thanks.

CR78
07-20-2019, 01:28 AM
My experience with my 43 mirrors yours. Thanks for the writeup.

Ed L
07-20-2019, 02:13 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write this.

I have only shot a relatively small amount of rounds through the G43, G43Xm and G48 and have not encountered any problems. I don't own any of the above listed guns.

But your analysis makes complete sense that given that the guns are smaller with different springs and slides and such, it makes complete sense that they might have problems with hollowpoints if they are dirty, not held perfectly, or the springs are a bit worn, or any combination of these factors.

45dotACP
07-20-2019, 02:26 AM
Damn, you could replace "Glock" with 1911 here almost interchangeably.

Strong mag springs can help to resolve the excess slide velocity issues (using the factory designed mag without extensions helps). I'd probably run standard velocity, not +P, and replace recoil springs often.

Maybe also send it back to Glock? It's possible you caught a lemon?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Wonder9
07-20-2019, 02:34 AM
I've been a G43 proponent since it first hit the market. IME, the G43 will work like a full size Glock if you stick to OEM magazines period. Plus there was some unofficial statement from Glock that they would release an extended G43 magazine when they could make it reliable as the 6 rounder*. I believe the rumored G43E, will be a G43 that uses the G43x/48 magazine as it seems to be better in general feeding since there has been no widespread issues, nor magazine revisions.

In regards to both the 48, I assume that when recoil springs get worn out then the heavier slide could contribute to lower slide velocity?

*citation needed

JHC
07-20-2019, 04:16 AM
Great report CTX44

I have never trusted after market magazines or + anything baseplates. The extra few rounds are not worth it to me.

Are the 124 HST and GD you reference +P?

Bucky
07-20-2019, 06:36 AM
Thank you for the great write up.

I’m currently carrying 147 HSTs in my 43, factory mag with GeePlate base pad (no extended capacity). I’ve only got 150 HSTs through mine, but 2K total. The only failure I’ve had thus far was using a +1 pad early on. With factory length mags, all good thus far, and I’ve done a bit of intentional limp wrist tests.

CTX44
07-20-2019, 08:56 AM
Especially on the G43, running the factory baseplates (i.e. as a 6+1 gun only) is definitely a great way to prevent these issues. The ZEV extra power springs (and various extended baseplates) seem pretty good so far, but I've only been running them in my extended baseplates for 6 months.

The 124 HST were almost entirely standard pressure, though a few boxes of the 124+P that went through both guns. For the G43 it still didn't make a difference; it was still hiccupy. The 115 Gold Dots are ALL standard pressure, part number 53614. I don't love the idea of light for caliber bullet but a gun has to run for it to be useful.

In short, with the G43, the only setups that have been totally reliable for me are:
*115gr gold dots
*standard 6 round mags (hit the easy button)
*Taran Tactical baseplates w Zev extra power springs (both +1 and +2). The ZEV springs take up enough room in the Taran +2 baseplates that it reduces them to +1 anyway.
*Hyve +1 baseplates w Zev springs (these are by far my favorite, they are annoying to install but the shape of them gives the back of your palm something to rest against).

G48 runs well with standard mags, 115 gold dots, and so far with 124 HSTs.

In short, run factory baseplates and light bullets and change the recoil springs regularly and you can treat these guns like your G17. Otherwise, I dunno.

Great report CTX44

I have never trusted after market magazines or + anything baseplates. The extra few rounds are not worth it to me.

Are the 124 HST and GD you reference +P?

CTX44
07-20-2019, 09:07 AM
Interesting on the factory extended mags. It really is a spring tension issue. I'm not sure I've EVER messed with a mag spring on a G17 magazine, even the ones I have that are 25 years old. But on these smaller guns it's absolutely crucial. They need a lot of mag spring tension.

I found the G48 to be less finicky than the G43. I guessed it was due to having more slide mass to get the gun back into battery, but that could be faulty thinking. I have a feeling if the G48 used something like a full length recoil spring the gun would be bulletproof. These short recoil springs really don't last long. When they start failing the "hold the trigger back and ease the slide forward test" reliability starts dropping, which is a lot less true on the full sized guns, which can fail that test all day and still run perfectly.

Again, running 115's just seems to solve this problem in both guns.

I've been a G43 proponent since it first hit the market. IME, the G43 will work like a full size Glock if you stick to OEM magazines period. Plus there was some unofficial statement from Glock that they would release an extended G43 magazine when they could make it reliable as the 6 rounder*. I believe the rumored G43E, will be a G43 that uses the G43x/48 magazine as it seems to be better in general feeding since there has been no widespread issues, nor magazine revisions.

In regards to both the 48, I assume that when recoil springs get worn out then the heavier slide could contribute to lower slide velocity?

*citation needed

LittleLebowski
07-20-2019, 09:10 AM
What a great thread, thank you.

M2CattleCo
07-20-2019, 09:15 AM
The bullet is out of play by the time the slide is within 1/8" of being in battery.

Single stack magazines that feed tapered cases have inherent hurdles to overcome. Even if they're made by Glock.

GLB
07-20-2019, 09:25 AM
The G43 is a wonderful little gun with a purpose in my carry option. As mentioned it’s very accurate and easy to shoot. I stay with OEM magazines for the best reliability. I tested some extended mags set-ups and found that there was a compromise in reliability. My carry load is the 124 gold dot, that with the OEM mags makes for a good combination.

Navin Johnson
07-20-2019, 09:35 AM
CTX44 thanks for posting your experience. Could you please clarify from your testing:

Does the G43 in stock form (magazines also) run with all bullet weights?

Was the G48 having problems with heavy rounds completely stock also?

ST911
07-20-2019, 09:39 AM
I have book on a G43 at ~7000 rounds. Quick review shows a few OOB strikes and a couple of failures to eject in the hands of new, youth, and weak-grip shooters with three loads, only one of which is a JHP (Federal 9MS) and one of which is a known problem load. No RSA replacement is noted. Otherwise, broad spectrum reliability with JHPs and FMJs that parallels other Gs and particularly G43s, 43X, 48. Not a comment on the OP, just a sample of one and a starting point.

I've had a lingering thought that G43 may be a skosh undersprung, and not by weight alone but by the RSA's OAL. Note how light and easy the RSA is seated, popped loose, and shifted between the barrel lug and slide nose. Couple that with a shorter grip with less contact surface, and tolerances narrow. Mag extensions are their own problem. I know others have some luck with certain ones. The 43X grip mitigates some of that tolerance stack and would be useful in problem solving.

Probably a topic unto itself but... When we talk about reliability and loads, I think we talk we talk too much about bullet weight and not enough about all the other stuff in play like profile and length, cartridge OAL, case mouth crimp and drag, etc. Weight is an easy tail to chase and may trend, but may be meaningless.

For reference, here's the ammo list for the G43 discussed above.
BHA 115 TAC XP +P, 194
BHA 124 XTP, 291
BHA 124 XTP +P, 61
Fed 147 9MS, 374
Fed 124 Hydrashok, 50
Fed 147 Hydrashok, 50
Fed 147 HST, 64
BHA 115 115 GDHP +P, 50
Hornady 115 Critical Defense, 100
Speer 147 G2, 174

I have some thoughts on the G48 but will save them until more data is in.

I really like the 43X and see superb results everywhere one goes.

M2CattleCo
07-20-2019, 11:06 AM
I talked to Glock about 43 recoil springs and they said they've been tested to 10K and ran longer than that with no signs of degradation.

I have over 6K on on one with a lot of flat nose and HST 147 with no problems. Stock six round mags.

BigT
07-20-2019, 12:05 PM
This is exactly why the factory don't make extended mags for the G43, not because they don't like money.

A thought I had reading a 365 thread was that the 147gr HST while terminally spectacular does seem to be more of a picky feeder than similsr rounds.

JHC
07-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Especially on the G43, running the factory baseplates (i.e. as a 6+1 gun only) is definitely a great way to prevent these issues. The ZEV extra power springs (and various extended baseplates) seem pretty good so far, but I've only been running them in my extended baseplates for 6 months.

The 124 HST were almost entirely standard pressure, though a few boxes of the 124+P that went through both guns. For the G43 it still didn't make a difference; it was still hiccupy. The 115 Gold Dots are ALL standard pressure, part number 53614. I don't love the idea of light for caliber bullet but a gun has to run for it to be useful.

In short, with the G43, the only setups that have been totally reliable for me are:
*115gr gold dots
*standard 6 round mags (hit the easy button)
*Taran Tactical baseplates w Zev extra power springs (both +1 and +2). The ZEV springs take up enough room in the Taran +2 baseplates that it reduces them to +1 anyway.
*Hyve +1 baseplates w Zev springs (these are by far my favorite, they are annoying to install but the shape of them gives the back of your palm something to rest against).

G48 runs well with standard mags, 115 gold dots, and so far with 124 HSTs.

In short, run factory baseplates and light bullets and change the recoil springs regularly and you can treat these guns like your G17. Otherwise, I dunno.

A few weeks ago I went looking for info on decent 115 he self defense loads and found some tests of 115 Gold Dots penetrating +/- 15 inches in . . . Clear gel I think.

Wanted it for my one trick pony 9mm Operator with the KKM barrel they make at Dave Sams request - 1:30 twist.

Designed for max 50 precision with 115 grains.

CTX44
07-20-2019, 01:15 PM
The bullet shape is out of play once the round is chambered but the speed the bullet made the slide move isn't out of play. The issue, from what I can, tell, is less bullet shape or length so much as the slide velocity, or at least that's what I think. Slow feeding the slide by hand shows tiny advantage to shorter bullet profile--this is how I ended up trying the 115's, which I didn't keep on hand otherwise. I do think it's a slide velocity issue, but it could also be a slide velocity issue combined with a slightly shorter bullet.

With your high HST round count, was that a mix of strong and weak hand or was that mostly normal shooting with w two handed grip? It's strange if our experiences with this are very opposite as my experience with the G48 very closely mirrored the G43.

The bullet is out of play by the time the slide is within 1/8" of being in battery.

Single stack magazines that feed tapered cases have inherent hurdles to overcome. Even if they're made by Glock.

CTX44
07-20-2019, 01:37 PM
Trying to think of best way to answer this. With ball ammo, all of which was 124 and 147, yes, runs perfectly, no exceptions. The 147 ball I typically run (CCI lawman) has a slightly longer OAL (by .002) than the 147 HSTs do, but the nose is way way pointier (though still a bit flat). The issues really only came with JHP, both HST and Gold dots in weights ranging from 124 to 147. And they only came after the gun was slightly broken in, which to me points to recoil spring issue.

The G48 also runs all ball perfectly, and seemed to run 147 HST well when it was brand new, but after a few thousand rounds it started to slow down a bit, even with a two handed grip. Again pointing to RSA issue.

The G48 so far runs 124 HST very well, after 3K rounds. I did managed to induce one malfunction, but I was working very hard to do it, barely holding onto the gun with a few fingers.

I would feel confident with either gun with 115gr carry ammo. I'd feel confident with the G48 with 124 HSTs also, haven't tried 124 gold dots.

I don't own a G43X, but as so many of my G43 issues seemed to be mag related, maybe that's a way to go if you don't want to run 115 as carry ammo. Once you put a baseplate on a G43, the grip is about the same length as the G48/43X.

CTX44 thanks for posting your experience. Could you please clarify from your testing:

Does the G43 in stock form (magazines also) run with all bullet weights?

Was the G48 having problems with heavy rounds completely stock also?

M2CattleCo
07-20-2019, 02:37 PM
The bullet shape is out of play once the round is chambered but the speed the bullet made the slide move isn't out of play. The issue, from what I can, tell, is less bullet shape or length so much as the slide velocity, or at least that's what I think. Slow feeding the slide by hand shows tiny advantage to shorter bullet profile--this is how I ended up trying the 115's, which I didn't keep on hand otherwise. I do think it's a slide velocity issue, but it could also be a slide velocity issue combined with a slightly shorter bullet.

With your high HST round count, was that a mix of strong and weak hand or was that mostly normal shooting with w two handed grip? It's strange if our experiences with this are very opposite as my experience with the G48 very closely mirrored the G43.

The slide speed being slow returning to battery is probably more from the bullet hitting the ramp than a weak recoil spring. It's the mag springs.

I shoot a lot of SHO/WHO, probably 50% of my shooting.

I have a few mags that have been loaded with 147 HST for over a year. I'll try to get 'em out this week and see how they run.

Joe Mac
07-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Plus there was some unofficial statement from Glock that they would release an extended G43 magazine when they could make it reliable as the 6 rounder*.
*citation needed

That was the answer I heard from Glock reps at an armorer re-cert a few years ago: "When we can get it to work." They admitted to testing every aftermarket extension at Smyna, in case someone else had cracked the code, but no luck.

I've done plenty of testing myself, and I'm absolutely done traveling that time-consuming (and expensive) trail of tears. A reliable 6+1 is fine, especially since the G43 has become a pocket-holster replacement for the J-frame in my world.

Mike C
07-20-2019, 10:25 PM
To add another date point. The G43 that have left has north of 10K. It's been beaten and carried. All I've done with it is change the RSA because I started to have failures to return to battery with 147 HST's. I will now change the RSA's every 5k period. Other than that I've had zero issues. I've run over a case of HST's through the gun and a half case of 124 HST's both with flat floor plates and Pierce +1 extensions without issue with the exception of the RSA being weak. I previously had another G43 that was sold that was also just as reliable. My G48 however does not like 147gr HST's as much as 124gr HST's and it gets really pissy with any round over 1.140" OAL which is crazy because if I remember correctly the 147gr HST's (P9HST2) is 1.135" OAL or there about. I think the G48 being ammo picky is a thing, maybe it is due to a short leade not sure and haven't had the time to explore it.

Tom Duffy
07-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Over the course of my first 1,100 rounds through my early Glock 43 I had 7 FTFs, with various bullet weights, always with the last round in the magazine. I bought some extra strength springs from the Glock Store (not knowing where else to buy them) meant for use with magazine extenders. I used them with the standard 6 round Glock mags and the problem has gone away. I don't know what the replacement interval is going to be. I, too, called Glock about the RSA replacement interval and they told me every 5,000 rounds. I'm not sure I believe that.

JodyH
07-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Glocks have never worked right with aftermarket magazines or magazine extensions of any kind.
If I want more than the 6+1 in a G43 I carry a G26.

Clark Jackson
07-21-2019, 10:42 AM
I will start this by saying I’m a lil OCD about reliability issues, and so other folks might have had different experiences.

That’s all I got. Just thought I’d share. I love these guns. But getting them to run defensive ammo with the reliability you’d expect from a G17 or G19 has been a bit of an exercise. Or to put it more precisely—they can definitely be as reliable, but not with every ammo. If you’re just running ball for training, you might not ever run into these issues at all. If you ran a box of carry ammo through the gun right after you bought it, and since then you've put 1K rounds of ball through it, and put an extended base-plate on, it might be worth rechecking your carry ammo, especially with a one handed grip.

I'm a very big fan of Glock, but never really liked the G43. I hear what you're saying, but I'm just not fond of any gun that won't reliably use whatever quality ammo you use. That's a non-starter for me.

The extended base-pad thing is always touchy. FWIW, I find the least amount of malfunctions with Glock OEM +2 magazines and with Dawson Precision HiCaps, but I have yet to find a reliable + base-pad for the G43. The closest I've come is the TangoDown Vickers Tactical +2 (https://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-extension/magazine-extension-for-glock-43-prod85739.aspx).

I agree with JHC about aftermarket base-pads especially if we are talking about potentially using them for anything outside of training and competition. I don't get the warm and fuzzies from any aftermarket Glock magazines regardless of who makes them.

CTX44 now we need you to go out and do the same thing with a SiG P365; M&P Shield; Walther PPS M2; and Ruger LC9... and report back in a year, please and thank you. :)

Thanks again for taking the time - informative post.

Nephrology
07-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Glocks have never worked right with aftermarket magazines or magazine extensions of any kind.

I've never had an issue with OEM +2 extensions over thousands and thousands of rounds.

Re: the G43, I've had reasonable success with the TTI +1s but not nearly as many rounds of HST through them as the OP. After reading this thread, I'll probably go back to the OEM mags. I'll definitely pick up some 124+P Speer GD next time I make a big ammo order.

Eric_L
07-21-2019, 09:01 PM
I find gold dot 124+p recoil to be quite stout in the little guns.

10mmfanboy
07-22-2019, 12:43 AM
I had a few out of spec OAL 147 gn rainer plated hp that I had laying around waiting to have time to pull them. They were slightly too long, but I forget the length now. Anyway I tried them in two gen 4 g19 and a gen 4 g26 and they wouldn't go into battery. I then tried loading them into the g43 and they went into battery fine and fired all the out of spec rounds with no issue. What that means, I have no clue.

I did notice how the recoil spring basically just falls out when field stripping it though, never really like that. Never really warmed up to the g43. The g42 in my eyes is far superior, other than the caliber.

M2CattleCo
07-22-2019, 07:12 AM
The recoil spring falling out is just the result of the captured length. If it was an uncaptured spring it would be a handful.

RAM Engineer
07-22-2019, 10:05 AM
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but if *I* were in charge at Glock, I would do this:

1. Discontinue the 43
2. Introduce a 43XS (43X-Short) that is essentially a 43X, with a two finger grip and a magazine that holds 6-7 rounds. In the box comes with 2 short mags and a regular 43X/48 10-round mag.
3. Discontinue a whole slew of obsolete guns, regardless of California roster.

BigT
07-22-2019, 10:16 AM
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but if *I* were in charge at Glock, I would do this:

If you mean Gen3's they're still massive sellers outside the US

RAM Engineer
07-22-2019, 10:45 AM
If you mean Gen3's they're still massive sellers outside the US

I was mainly thinking of stuff like .45 GAP, .357 SIG, integral compensated guns, the confusing mess of G30 variants (pick one and go with it!), Gen4 9mms, Gen3 .40s., etc, etc.

ViniVidivici
07-22-2019, 02:30 PM

Don't tell my pistols that. They run great with factory +2s, on G17, G22 & G23 mags for years.

The nines run great with magpul mags & brass/nickel.

For our 43, got a Pearce +1 on one mag, Vickers Tango Down +2 (w/ extra power spring it came with) on another. Both are perfectly reliable.

Bonus is the Vickers TD forms a perfect grip extension as well.

Lester Polfus
07-22-2019, 07:05 PM
I was mainly thinking of stuff like .45 GAP, .357 SIG, integral compensated guns, the confusing mess of G30 variants (pick one and go with it!), Gen4 9mms, Gen3 .40s., etc, etc.

Right? At one point I had all the Glock models safely tucked away in my head. Now I feel like a need a decoder ring like I did for the 3rd Gen Smiths.

I also wonder how many of those guns are just in the catalog, but not in production.

Clark Jackson
07-23-2019, 07:09 AM

Hey! I love my Gen4 9mms! But I agree with killing the .40s.

Unfortunately, I think the only thing that really discontinues guns is lack of sales.

I wish SiG would discontinue SiG, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

ricky_bobby
07-23-2019, 09:00 AM

1. Discontinue the 43
2. Introduce a 43XS (43X-Short) that is essentially a 43X, with a two finger grip and a magazine that holds 6-7 rounds. In the box comes with 2 short mags and a regular 43X/48 10-round mag.

#3 doesnt really bother me much (I tend to just forget the obsolete and obscure guns dont even exist)

But on #1 and #2 I have a thread up on GlockTalk which has been gaining a bit of traction, and a few Glock fudds who are like "what, you don't think G43X was the answer to P365?"
No, it wasn't.

The 43 is the red-headed step child (Yes, I said it) - on a carry pistol I want to carry with reliable FACTORY mags, not adding aftermarket parts and extensions which can be used legally against me in deadly force use, or, can fail. Glock took the time to make the frame on the 43X a *tiny* bit wider, and took the time to re-engineer that mag to be longer and hold 10 rounds -

The only thing they are missing at this point is updating the actual pistol that had a chance to compete with the P365. They need to redo the 43, call it 43C (compact) or 43S (short) and have it take 8 rounds with a flush mag, 10 round 43X mags as backup, and you will finally have a *viable* contender to the P365, even if its 2 rounds shorter in flush mag and backup mag, the fact that its a Glock and it comes close, will absolutely close the sales gap, IMHO.

New 43 slide to be updated with front serrations (they already make it, with the Lipsey's Vickers G43, just need a new roll mark), and a spacer for the 10 round mags so it fills the gap when installed on the pistol.

Come on Glock, do some real updating for once and give us a true update and not these full length options (G45, G19X, G43X is same length as a G19 etc)

When the 43 came out, it competed with the Shield, albeit down a round - now that years have gone by, its glaringly obsolete in today's market and as much hate as Sig can get, they are forcing the other companies to do something to innovate in the CCW market, and Glock should have a way to answer them in a similar pistol profile (when you hold the P365 and the G43X side by side its glaringly obvious they don't compete in size at all)

And FYI- I am a Glock guy through and through, have 3 of them, buying a 19Gen5 MOS soon - if they did those updates to the 43 I would buy it tomorrow - but spending the same amount of money a P365 costs ($380 blue label, add night sights) to have no reliable factory higher capacity option, its not worth it - if the G43 dropped to Shield prices, sure I'd probably get one just to have, but at this point, especially at retail level, anyone who *doesn't* have a single stack 9mm, is not rushing to buy a 43.

camsdaddy
07-23-2019, 10:08 AM
I took my 43 out Friday for the first time in a while. I really enjoyed shooting it. I think I enjoyed it too much. After shooting a little over 200 rounds my hands still hurt and it’s Tuesday. I think I need to remember my 43 is like an air weight. I should shoot 50 or so rounds and then move to something larger.

Rex G
07-23-2019, 11:22 AM
Thanks, CTX44, for the write-up. My days of high-round-count testing and evaluation are long past*, so I appreciate it when others do the heavy lifting. I realize, of course, the need to personally, thoroughly function-test any individual weapon that I own, but anything that I cannot reasonably believe to be boringly reliable, out of the box, is not likely to be on my shopping list.

*Short version: Gettin’ old; shootin’ hurts; some guns hurt more than others.

msstate56
07-23-2019, 12:14 PM
I work for an agency that issues the G43 as a backup and deep cover UC gun. So each qual day I get to see 24 of them on the line. Just to make the qual go faster, and easier to grip, almost every one uses a mag with some sort of extension. Without fail, there will be multiple failures up and down the line. Most are mag related. I have several magazines with TD vickers +2s, and a couple ETS 9 rounders. My experience over the years mirrors most others here- as long as I use factory 6 round mags (much preferred with the factory “pinky extension”) it works well. When I start using mags with extensions it’s hit or miss. The ETS 9 round mags feed reliably, but fail to lock the slide on empty about 50% of the time. I will only carry a 43 with a 6 round mag.

I recently acquired a black slide 43X. This is a totally different animal. Shoots well, and much easier to control at speed. I love that I can do an actual speed reload. Time will tell how it holds up long term. But first impression is that I’d be comfortable carrying the 43X as a primary off duty. I’ve never really been happy only carrying the 43.

thward89
07-23-2019, 01:08 PM
I watched Defoor have feed issues with his Glock 43 for two days during a class last summer with TTI baseplates and a mix of ball and speer gold dot g2. I know that, at the time, he was asking others in class if they had any experience with aftermarket floor plates in G43s that were not causing issues. Not sure which springs he was using with his.

HeavyDuty
07-23-2019, 03:19 PM
I’m perfectly happy with my 43 and six round mags, but I do change out the flat baseplates for Geeplates. I’ve found they have no effect on reliability and improve handling. I also have several factory pinky extension mags.

L-2
07-23-2019, 04:01 PM
For me and my G43, I must ensure the top round of a mag has to be firmly pushed all the way into the mag.
Otherwise, I'll end up with that first round not chambering upon releasing from slide lock.

I seldom, if ever, carry the G43 as my primary.
My G26Gen3 is usually my smaller primary when smaller is desired.
It's mainly been used as a backup/secondary gun and replaced my S&W 642 in the "BUG" role in the last few years before retiring.

I do have two spare/range mags for the G43 which I've installed Pearce +1 mag baseplates. These mags have so far been as reliable as the unmodified 6-round G43 mags.

10mmfanboy
10-09-2019, 10:20 PM
Have any of ya'll tried putting one round in your 43 mag and seat it into the magwell with the upper off the gun? I did this the other day and held the barrel on the locking lug by hand and inserted the mag with one round in it. The case hits the bottom of the ejector so much that it cocks the bullet to the left severely. The tip of the bullet wasn't even lined up with the feed ramp. I am actually shocked the last round ever fires like that!

I'd like to know if there has been any updates made to them since mine was bought about a year after they were released. I also tried this exact same thing with my g42 which was made in 2018 and it does not cant the bullet off to the left side of the chamber.

I think that is the cause of not liking some hp or slowing down the slide the last 1/8"

Kihon
03-07-2021, 08:26 PM
Have had same issues. Seems to only like good quality ammo

ViniVidivici
03-11-2021, 02:02 AM
We've since added 2 more Vickers TD extensions (w/ their respective springs) to 2 of our mags, and they too are 100% reliable.

It's beginning to seem like Glock has put a few G43 lemons out there, and some seem to only run well with purely stock mags.

Damn shame to hear, and I feel we're very lucky with ours. When they run, they truly are great guns. Surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot, for the size and weight.

HCM
03-11-2021, 09:39 AM
We've since added 2 more Vickers TD extensions (w/ their respective springs) to 2 of our mags, and they too are 100% reliable.

It's beginning to seem like Glock has put a few G43 lemons out there, and some seem to only run well with purely stock mags.

Damn shame to hear, and I feel we're very lucky with ours. When they run, they truly are great guns. Surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot, for the size and weight.

No, it’s not a few lemons.

Mine runs well with factory 6 rounders but the first G43 I saw put into service after my Agency approved them had 3 malfunctions in a 50 round qual. This was with a competent shooter. I strongly suspect we only approved the 43 because “suits” in HQ wanted it.

As the OP mentioned the G43 is a very tightly calibrated system with a much narrower window of function than a G17 or G19. This is also true of the 43X and 48 which share the 43’s recoil system snd timing.

My agency has stopped approving new G43’s after failed tests of the G43X and G48. it took multiple attempts to get a G43 to pass FBI testing. They were finally approved but with only one ammo type, no mag extensions and no attachments such as lights/lasers. Their experience was any deviation from the stock gun with specific ammo is a roll of the dice.

camsdaddy
03-11-2021, 08:42 PM
No, it’s not a few lemons.

Mine runs well with factory 6 rounders but the first G43 I saw put into service after my Agency approved them had 3 malfunctions in a 50 round qual. This was with a competent shooter. I strongly suspect we only approved the 43 because “suits” in HQ wanted it.

As the OP mentioned the G43 is a very tightly calibrated system with a much narrower window of function than a G17 or G19. This is also true of the 43X and 48 which share the 43’s recoil system snd timing.

My agency has stopped approving new G43’s after failed tests of the G43X and G48. it took multiple attempts to get a G43 to pass FBI testing. They were finally approved but with only one ammo type, no mag extensions and no attachments such as lights/lasers. Their experience was any deviation from the stock gun with specific ammo is a roll of the dice.

I had a 43 from 2017 until mid 2020. I regret selling it. During the time I had it I found it to be reliable with any ammo I fed it. Of the 4500+ I fed it probably 3500 of those were various reloads. Of course it took me 4500+ rounds to realize it wasn't a better j frame than my j frame or a better sub compact than my 26.

HCM
03-11-2021, 10:18 PM
I had a 43 from 2017 until mid 2020. I regret selling it. During the time I had it I found it to be reliable with any ammo I fed it. Of the 4500+ I fed it probably 3500 of those were various reloads. Of course it took me 4500+ rounds to realize it wasn't a better j frame than my j frame or a better sub compact than my 26.

IME sticking with factory 6 round mags and 115 or 124 grain standard velocity ammo is the best chance for success.

Super77
03-14-2021, 11:23 PM

Where would you put the G26 on the list? Presumably between G19 and 43x, but I'm interested in a little Glock and want to make sure it's reliable.

HCM
03-14-2021, 11:45 PM
Where would you put the G26 on the list? Presumably between G19 and 43x, but I'm interested in a little Glock and want to make sure it's reliable.

The Glock 26 is IME as reliable as the 19 and 17. Completely different RSA system. In fact the double recoil spring RSA system in all Gen 4 and Gen 5 Glocks originated in the G26 and G27.

In fact, at one point, when the Glock Gen4s first came out, my agency found the G26 and G17 to be more reliable than the G19. More recently the G26 was the only Gen 5 Glock to pass our testing.

Super77
03-15-2021, 12:29 AM
The Glock 26 is IME as reliable as the 19 and 17. Completely different RSA system. In fact the double recoil spring RSA system in all Gen 4 and Gen 5 Glocks originated in the G26 and G27.

In fact, at one point, when the Glock Gen4s first came out, my agency found the G26 and G17 to be more reliable than the G19. More recently the G26 was the only Gen 5 Glock to pass our testing.

That’s a hell of a thing. Good to know and thanks for your insight.

camsdaddy
03-15-2021, 05:36 AM
That’s a hell of a thing. Good to know and thanks for your insight.
As mentioned the 43 set up is a shrunken tighter set up. The 26 is just a bigger Glock with a different RSA and shorter barrel.

I am one of the lucky ones who has never had issue with any of them from 43 to 34.

Bucky
03-15-2021, 06:04 AM
Thank you for the great write up.

I’m currently carrying 147 HSTs in my 43, factory mag with GeePlate base pad (no extended capacity). I’ve only got 150 HSTs through mine, but 2K total. The only failure I’ve had thus far was using a +1 pad early on. With factory length mags, all good thus far, and I’ve done a bit of intentional limp wrist tests.

I guess I got a good one. I’ve currently got 400 147 HST through mine. The only hiccup to date was the one mentioned above.

I wish I kept a better record of overall round count. It’s easier to keep track of the HST, since it’s a much bigger sting to the wallet than my own reloads.

M2CattleCo
03-15-2021, 06:54 AM
My experience is the total opposite of HCM.

I have a few G43s and they’re all stock and they run fine, one has about 1K of 147 HST and over 4K of mostly 147 Lawman and it shows no signs of failure.

I have tried a Gen5 26 two times, and neither one was reliable with any ammo.

But the 17 being better than a 19? I’ve been preaching about that for years.

TC215
03-15-2021, 07:29 PM
My agency has several hundred G43’s. The only issues I see are with aftermarket extended magazines. Other than that, they run fine. We use 147 grain training and duty ammo.

JonInWA
03-16-2021, 12:53 AM

Out of curiosity, have you tested/vetted the Gen5 G22 yet?

Best, Jon

HCM
03-16-2021, 07:10 AM
Out of curiosity, have you tested/vetted the Gen5 G22 yet?

Best, Jon

You mean my Agency ? They won’t. We’ve never authorized .40 Glocks (only 9mm) and all .40 Cals were de-authorized last year.

I personally have a G23.5 MOS but only have 150 “flawless” rounds through it.

HCM
03-16-2021, 05:15 PM
Just ran firearms Quals today and saw another G43 choke. Standard factory mags with factory pinky extension, -14 grain +P Gold Dot. Shooter is a former SRT team member and firearms instructor and I saw no shooter issues which would gave induced malfunctions.

HCM
03-16-2021, 05:19 PM
Anyone know the factory recommended RSA replacement schedule?

I seem to recall it is 2500 rounds?

ST911
03-16-2021, 05:31 PM
Anyone know the factory recommended RSA replacement schedule?

I seem to recall it is 2500 rounds?

HCM
03-16-2021, 06:30 PM

For the 43 ?

M2CattleCo
03-17-2021, 12:57 PM
I asked Glock about recoil spring replacement interval on the 43 a few years ago.

They didn’t have a specific number and said it should be good for at least 10K rounds.

I changed one at 3K just for the hellofit but I couldn’t tell that it had degraded any.

ST911
03-17-2021, 02:57 PM
For the 43 ?

Yep.

ViniVidivici
03-17-2021, 04:19 PM
Yes, 3,000 for single-spring gen 1-3, 5,000 for gen4-5 dual-spring types.

js475
04-25-2021, 05:26 PM
I bought a G48 a few months ago and finally decided to put a box of 147gr Federal HST through it today. I noticed the cycling had a sluggish feel to it when compared to ball ammo. This was especially noticeable when I would hold the trigger back and not reset it until the gun cycled. Whenever I did that, the slide would be a fraction of an inch out of battery and then fully return once I reset the trigger.

I haven't had any malfunctions with this gun using the HSTs or with the 500 or so ball rounds I've fired, but this gives me a bit of hesitation to carry it. Should I be worried about carrying with 147gr HSTs? Unfortunately that's all I have, and with the current ammo situation I'm not going to be buying other carry ammo.

Do you guys think a stronger aftermarket recoil spring could help?

HCM
04-25-2021, 06:54 PM
Yes, 3,000 for single-spring gen 1-3, 5,000 for gen4-5 dual-spring types.

That makes sense.

evi1joe
04-29-2021, 03:04 PM
I had issues with the TTI +2 extensions that were using the same spring as the +1...then they came out with a MUCH stronger spring. You'd have to slam the base of the mag into something hard a few times to get the last round in. That fixed issues for about 500-1000rds, but then I started having issues again, so I went back to the +1 Pearce mag extensions with a +15% mag spring.

I am happy SHIELD is coming out with an 8rd or 9rd (??) mag. I've had no issues with their S15 in my 43X.

RJ
05-13-2021, 09:19 AM
I bought a G48 a few months ago and finally decided to put a box of 147gr Federal HST through it today. I noticed the cycling had a sluggish feel to it when compared to ball ammo. This was especially noticeable when I would hold the trigger back and not reset it until the gun cycled. Whenever I did that, the slide would be a fraction of an inch out of battery and then fully return once I reset the trigger.

I haven't had any malfunctions with this gun using the HSTs or with the 500 or so ball rounds I've fired, but this gives me a bit of hesitation to carry it. Should I be worried about carrying with 147gr HSTs? Unfortunately that's all I have, and with the current ammo situation I'm not going to be buying other carry ammo.

Do you guys think a stronger aftermarket recoil spring could help?

Yeah, this is a bit of a conundrum. Getting access to reasonably priced SD ammo is not a thing, these days, so you have what have.

I'm in the final stages of vetting a new G48 for carry. I'll give you a non-expert/user view and an opinion.

My G48 was bought new last September. To date I have 936 rounds, mostly AE115, but a few dozen each of AE124, BB124, SB115, Federal HST 147, Speer Gold Dot 124+p and Speer Gold Dot 115. I've had three fail to feed malfunctions. One was with once-chambered Speer Gold Dot 115. Two were with Speer Gold Dot 124+p. This is over eleven magazines. The "fail" magazines all shot ok previously.

The 115 failure came when the gun was stock, the two 124 GD malfunctions were just after the gun returned from Primary Machine for milling for a 507k. These two came at round 3 and round 10 of the respective magazines.

Things I've checked/would check are:

- The Extractor Depressor Plunger spring is fully seated on the plunger
- The top of the "bird beak" on the trigger bar is not interfering with the inside top of the slide
- The inside of the rails on both side are clean, free of swarf or coating, and lubed
- The breechface is clean and any carbon build up under the extractor hook is removed
- I'm not sure a polished feedramp would help, but it looks cool. I've never polished mine, but I know some do. Personally, I know my limitations, and try to stay well away from a pistol innards when I am holding a Dremel.
- The gun is racked enthusiastically to load a cartridge
- Verifying the slide is fully in battery by smacking the back of it with your palm after loading a carry round
- All non-Glock parts are removed (with the possible exception of an SCD, which I find essential to carrying a Glock AIWB).
- Verify "your" gun with "your" carry ammo.
- Lastly, I've decided to order a new RSA to further isolate the problem, and will likely just replace them at 1K intervals (at $17 for a RSA, I'm ok with that).

My opinion after going through this process is that my G48 seems to prefer standard pressure loads like the HST 147 over +p. In my case, yes, I will carry it with the Federal ammo.

I don't make a habit of holding the trigger down after a shot; I prep for the next shot, so I can't comment on the slide not going into battery by 1/8". I would suspect that the slide/RSA is weaker than it needs to be to "pop" the slide back into battery. This may or may not be due to Glock selecting the same part for the G48 RSA as for the G43X as for the G43. (Others have opined a longer RSA, that does not require the forward "filler" design, would have been a better choice. But Glock didn't do that.)

Since I would like to have at least two vetted ammo types available, I will be looking to replace the GD 124+p with something else on Doc's list, probably a 124 standard pressure. This might be HST 124, or Speer GD 124, or something else (subject to availability, and my credit card balance.) I have enough 147 HST to last me a while, but options are good.

I plan to do one more test of the 147 when my new RSA gets here. Probably a short version of a test I've seen referenced elsewhere; where you load 3 rounds in a number of magazines (the point being this is the critical point where the mag spring is at it's most relaxed). If this test passes (and I don't know how many rounds I'll dedicate to this; this is getting expensive) then I think I have a reasonable expectation of hearing a bang instead of a click when I need it to. Oh, and I am going to stop fiddling with the gun as well.

The reason I'm willing to go through this is that the G48 is the 14th gun I've owned since starting shooting in 2013, and it checks so many boxes for me that if I can get it to run reliably, I really would like to. I will say however that if it doesn't, I will sell it without a moments hesitation and move on to something else.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Haggard
05-13-2021, 12:27 PM

Glock didn't used to have any schedule for swapping the RSA.

My experience with the debacle at my old job in 2006 with gen 3 G22s led me to favor a very aggressive schedule of changing these out. Glock may say 5000 on the double spring RSAs, but on the .40s, and the micro guns, I do 2000. It's cheap insurance.

Also, in my experience the 115gr Gold Dot doesn't expand from G43 length barrels, so there's that.

I run the standard pressure 124gr HSTs in my G43. As noted, I have an aggressive spring replacement schedule.

Gadfly
05-13-2021, 01:59 PM
I strongly suspect we only approved the 43 because “suits” in HQ wanted it.

My agency has stopped approving new G43’s after failed tests of the G43X and G48.

This was the scuttlebutt I heard as well.
Actual language may have varied, but... Something to the effect of:

Gun Guys: Sir, This 43 did not pass testing and will not be approved.
HQ: But we really like it.
GG: Yes sir, But it did not pass the 10,000 round testing.
HQ: ...But, its a BACK UP gun, not a primary. We don't shoot those as much, right?
GG: uh... well, true, but policy states...
HQ: A back up gun only needs to be tested to 5,000 rounds.
GG: ...... uh... sir... the policy you folks wrote says 10,000....
HQ: Nope, 5,000 rounds IS sufficient for a back up gun. So since it was passing at the 5k mark.... IT PASSED!

I am sure it was only rumor, and nothing unethical occurred. Our leaders are far above such behavior.
#PencilWhipThatShit

I wanted to buy a 43... but I asked around and was warned off. As for the P356, the may have been words to the effect of "there is no way a gun that small should run that well. But it did, and it ran better than many full size guns we tested."

TC215
05-13-2021, 03:04 PM
FWIW, I qualified two field offices over the past 3 weeks, and had no issues or malfunctions with the G43's (every agent is issued one). We use 147gr ammo.

Noah
03-17-2024, 09:53 PM
3 years later, has the consensus on how to get maximum reliability out of a G43/43X/48 family weapon changed? Stock mags? No hotter ammo? frequent spring changes? Would 115 Gold Dot be more reliable than 124 standard pressure GD GJM?

What is the 365 family doing differently to be passing more department testing? Longer recoil spring?

WobblyPossum
03-17-2024, 10:08 PM
What is the 365 family doing differently to be passing more department testing? Longer recoil spring?

I don’t think that’s the issue because the standard P365 does well in testing and it has a small recoil spring.

GJM
03-17-2024, 10:59 PM
3 years later, has the consensus on how to get maximum reliability out of a G43/43X/48 family weapon changed? Stock mags? No hotter ammo? frequent spring changes? Would 115 Gold Dot be more reliable than 124 standard pressure GD GJM?

I can't add much -- I have run 115 Gold Dot, used OEM magazines, not run a WML, and while my shooting has been less with Glock slimline models since the 365 family developed, I haven't had reliability issues.

CarloMNL
03-18-2024, 01:18 AM
[QUOTE=Noah;1563286]3 years later, has the consensus on how to get maximum reliability out of a G43/43X/48 family weapon changed? Stock mags? No hotter ammo? frequent spring changes? Would 115 Gold Dot be more reliable than 124 standard pressure GD GJM?

Am not sure if Glock treated the 43/43X/48 as a scaled down version of their existing platform. SIG was clear that they designed the P365 as a micro 9, not a scaled down P320, and invested heavily in a magazine design. I can't prove it but I think that approach resulted in a more reliable micro 9 versus the micro 9s that Glock launched.

Backspin
03-18-2024, 02:38 AM
A compensator on a G43 may make it more reliable. My G43 developed reliability issues after mag springs and recoil spring had some wear on them. +2 Magazine extensions for sure had constant feeding issues especially with hotter ammo. Then I put a Faxon comp on, and now it runs fine with a +2 extension magazine with 147 HST even when I’m gripping one handed with a limp wrist using just my thumb and middle finger.