PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Corvette

Pages : [1] 2

rob_s
07-19-2019, 12:47 PM
Personally, I LOVE the look & sound of this thing.

Chevy Page (https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/next-generation-corvette)

Car & Driver (https://www.caranddriver.com/2020-c8-mid-engine-corvette/)
The 2020 Chevy Corvette C8 Will Start at Less Than $60,000! (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28442190/2020-chevy-corvette-c8-price/)

ranger
07-19-2019, 12:57 PM
I just need that lottery win or sell a bunch of guns!

RevolverRob
07-19-2019, 01:08 PM
Well...

I was really prepared to hate it. But frankly, it looks way better than I thought it would. And much better than the outgoing C7, which looks like a cartoon.

That said, I'm not sure I could ever get used to a Corvette with the engine behind the driver. I get why they did it and at 60k, it will be the fastest mid-engined car in the price range. Stomping all over the Porsche Cayman (even the S), the Lotus Evora, and the Alfa 4C (as though that is even really a competitor...). And it may well stomp all over everything Ford and Mopar are putting out, as well as some of the 100k Euro and Japanese offerings.

Still not sure I could do a behind-the-driver Corvette though. And I worry if we're dealing with typical GM engineering. Or if they cost-shared and stole the Acura NSX platform? Finally, the lack of a three-pedal option makes it a deal breaker for me. I know many don't/won't feel the same way, I get it's faster with a dual clutch box, but I like my clutch pedal.

That said Chevy did smart, ripping a page from Lotus' playbook. "Let's cram a really reliable engine, into a mid-engined platform. Eventually we'll add a blower on top. And we'll sell it for 60-85k." And by virtue of being a Chevrolet you can actually get serviced in every frickin' town in every frickin' state they'll sell a bunch.

JSGlock34
07-19-2019, 01:57 PM
They've been flirting with a mid-engine Corvette for decades yet I still find myself surprised that they actually pulled the trigger. I remember when the Corvette Indy concept car was introduced in the 80s...(back when a. Popular Mechanics subscription was my internet...)

The Corvette had always been a lot of bang for the buck - this has real potential, but the Corvette has had the same basic lines since 1983. I wonder whether the branding will work here regardless of the merits of the car.

theJanitor
07-19-2019, 03:55 PM
It's better than what I expected, but I expected the C8 to be truly hideous. I hate the fact that they couldn't make the C7 better, and make a separate supercar with a different name. I've had three vettes, and I'm a bit attached to the front engine layout

Hambo
07-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Hmmm...I see where they got the inspiration.

rayrevolver
07-19-2019, 04:36 PM
While the current model is a beast, I still like the looks of my C5Z (and wish I still had it). It really stood out as a different than the C5, while the C6/C7 look similar to the C6Z/C7Z. That said, the C5s pickup truck steering wheel and interior were terrible. BUT I didn't buy it for the interior or stereo.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48325368601_0d87794bd3.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2gCm9sn)

The 2020 looks nice and I wish I could make it happen. Maybe down the road I can pickup a used one.

...that said, why did they make the interior super silly with the buttons???

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GXZp67bO--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/pd99yyjqyqbkgm3qpy18.jpg

LittleLebowski
07-19-2019, 04:43 PM
I love it, but as I’m a dinosaur, I wish it would be offered with a manual.

BehindBlueI's
07-19-2019, 05:03 PM

Chevy's website has the answer:
This fighter jet-inspired layout puts climate and...

Because technology and cool.

I like it, but I'm sure I'll be sticking with my Camaro SS for a long time. While it's 6.2L makes a mere 426 hp and in a heavier car to boot, it lets me shift my own gears and is plenty fast enough to keep me entertained.

GardoneVT
07-19-2019, 05:17 PM
Well...

I was really prepared to hate it. But frankly, it looks way better than I thought it would. And much better than the outgoing C7, which looks like a cartoon.

That said, I'm not sure I could ever get used to a Corvette with the engine behind the driver. I get why they did it and at 60k, it will be the fastest mid-engined car in the price range. Stomping all over the Porsche Cayman (even the S), the Lotus Evora, and the Alfa 4C (as though that is even really a competitor...). And it may well stomp all over everything Ford and Mopar are putting out, as well as some of the 100k Euro and Japanese offerings.

Still not sure I could do a behind-the-driver Corvette though. And I worry if we're dealing with typical GM engineering. Or if they cost-shared and stole the Acura NSX platform? Finally, the lack of a three-pedal option makes it a deal breaker for me. I know many don't/won't feel the same way, I get it's faster with a dual clutch box, but I like my clutch pedal.

That said Chevy did smart, ripping a page from Lotus' playbook. "Let's cram a really reliable engine, into a mid-engined platform. Eventually we'll add a blower on top. And we'll sell it for 60-85k." And by virtue of being a Chevrolet you can actually get serviced in every frickin' town in every frickin' state they'll sell a bunch.

It’s an amazing looking car.

Which is why I expect itll be 2 years before you can order one anywhere close to $60K. Knowing your typical GM dealer, they’ll “market adjust” base C8s to over $75k on the street .

Darth_Uno
07-19-2019, 05:18 PM
I fell in love with the C5 when it came out and I still want one. I still remember the Motor Trend article I read on it when I was 15.

I was *thiiiiiis* close to buying one a while back, as in I was at at the lot with papers in front of me, but my wife complained it was a manual and she couldn't drive it.

Greg
07-19-2019, 05:39 PM
Maybe for the C9 they’ll ditch the fiberglass ?

GardoneVT
07-19-2019, 05:45 PM
I’ll pass on the recommendation to read the book “All Corvettes Are Red” (https://amzn.to/2LxFkjk). It charts the tortuous odyssey which was the C5 Corvette development program. At one point the engineers had to literally embezzle development money from GM to finish critical testing, as the suits had cancelled the Corvette and all official funding.

mtnbkr
07-19-2019, 05:51 PM
I was *thiiiiiis* close to buying one a while back, as in I was at at the lot with papers in front of me, but my wife complained it was a manual and she couldn't drive it.

Shortly after we got married, we decided we wanted a 4x4 (after nearly high-siding my wife's Grand Am on an unpaved forest "road"). After walking away from multiple good deals because they were manual, I talked my wife into learning how to drive a stick. We would take my little 5spd Toyota coupe to the nearby high school parking lot (this was Summer) and practice. I made her practice over and over again starting and stopping. Once she got that down, we worked on getting the car moving, shifting to 2nd, then 3rd, then back to 2nd. Once she was comfortable with that, I started having her drive us home from our sessions. Eventually, within a month or so, she was comfortable enough to drive our new (to us) 4x4 to work on her own. That was 17 years ago. We've purchased two other manuals since then. She prefers automatic, but can and does drive a manual in any situation.

So, what are you waiting for? ;)

Chris

JHC
07-19-2019, 06:26 PM
DO NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE HMMMMM OF BATTERIES!

RJ
07-19-2019, 06:40 PM
Mid engine at $60k and sub 3s 0-60? That is the sound of Porsche Cayman prices falling into the basement. I doubt it will affect 992 sales though.

Styling? Have to see it in the flesh. Butt might be too big.

Need to see some leaked YT videos of it going around The Ring. And an official time.

And GM build quality? How is that these days?

How will it be as an everyday driver? Sightlines?

Hope they sell a bunch.

RJ
07-19-2019, 06:44 PM

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GXZp67bO--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/pd99yyjqyqbkgm3qpy18.jpg

Wait.

Are you saying this row of buttons will be on the actual car?!

Bwahahaha.

Shirley, they can’t be serious.

Edit: I was so fascinated by the buttons I just noticed the steering wheel. It’s square. With a 12 o’clock strip.

Square.

What.

The.

RJ
07-20-2019, 05:51 AM
Design analysis:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-sports/2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-design-analysis-im-sorry-but-im-disappointed/ar-AAExnYh?ocid=spartandhp

Bucky
07-20-2019, 06:16 AM
Well...

When we bought our C6 (used), I always thought the C7 was a sharper looking car. We just didn’t want to drop that kind of coin at the time. Fast forward 5 years to just a couple months back, and we picked up a 2019. Seems we get a lot more comments on it, than we did on the ‘09.

Weren’t they already doing that with the Z06 at least? Granted you’re looking at 80K, instead of 60.

Bucky
07-20-2019, 06:23 AM
I love it, but as I’m a dinosaur, I wish it would be offered with a manual.

I knew for a while they were ditching the stick, but was pleasantly surprised they are offering a DCT instead. That was the one thing I wish I had in our ‘19. Wife’s one concession was no stick this time. Our ‘09 was a manual. I countered with, if we can’t have a stick, than it has to be a Z06. :p

BehindBlueI's
07-20-2019, 06:44 AM
I fell in love with the C5 when it came out and I still want one. I still remember the Motor Trend article I read on it when I was 15.

I think the C5 convertibles are the nicest looking 'Vettes in existence. I love the body colored "waterfall" between the seats. I test drove one that was the same money and about the same miles as my Camaro, but the ride height made it difficult to see as useful in my city. I couldn't see over the hood of the sedan next to me to see oncoming traffic for a left turn, plus our roads are nearly to the point a moon buggy is a better choice.

RevolverRob
07-20-2019, 09:26 AM
We aren't really saying that anything made after the C3 is prettier than the generations before it, right? I'm cool saying the C5 is the best looking of the generations since the C3, because it is...but they really can't hold a candle to the older stuff.

It's a toss up between a '57 and the '61/62. But these days, I think the '61/62 cars are my favorite Corvettes. A blend of new and old with the old front end, mated almost seamlessly to the new Stingray rear end.

Former President Obama gets it - '63 Split Window is insanely gorgeous

And though not my favorite generation, my wife loves her some early C3s, like this '71. In fact, as soon as we buy a house the next purchase after that will be a C3 Corvette for her.

BehindBlueI's
07-20-2019, 12:16 PM
I owned a C3. Nice looking cars, fun to drive. Not a patch on the C5 convertible, though.

Each to their own, of course. The first gen is too antique-y for me. No interest in them at all.

rob_s
07-20-2019, 12:49 PM
I can *appreciate* the first gen without actually ever wanting to own one, but the '63 split window is one of my top 5 dream cars.

I like the look of the C3 but IIRC they were pretty neutered due to govt emissions regulations that the manufacturers hadn't figured out how to "cheat" or work around yet. Maybe that's just the later years? Either way the design is tainted in my mind.

The C4 was the gen when I was in middle school, high school, and starting college, and so it's the car I remember the "rich kids" parents' buying for them. Kinda makes it a love/hate for me.

The C7 is my favorite (excluding the aforementioned '63). Or was, right up until last week. The C8 is a definite contender now for my favorite, but I'll want to see one in the wild first.

BehindBlueI's
07-20-2019, 01:06 PM
The C3s were definitely neutered, particularly if you had a CA compliant one. Looks were sweet, though, and the interior was fun for the time.

C4 was too much of a flying wedge to me. The interior looked dated almost immediately. I test drove one and instantly hated it.

orionz06
07-20-2019, 01:35 PM
The interior looked dated almost immediately.
Like every other American car until a few years ago?

I've had Z06 in my screenname everywhere forever, I've always had a soft spot for Corvettes, but the C8 is almost a disconnect. I'm thankful that an American car company actually seems to give a shit about performance beyond 1/4 mile times and noise, but it'll take me a bit to come around. The C3 and C7 are my faves, with the C7 looking really fucking good. I'd almost rather see them dump the Camaro, keep the C7 and rev it to a C8, and have the mid-engine be a new car all together.

I'm unsure that I'll have a car that I can't drive from spring to fall, but if this slams the C7 pricing I could see a ZR1 in the future. I don't see that happening though, I think those prices will stay put, dealers will mark up C8's, and it'll be two years for the market to normalize.

BehindBlueI's
07-20-2019, 04:52 PM

No. Some interiors are timeless, some are dated, and some are a mix.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/6d/db/076ddb1ac9123783d87841b317645cac.jpg

https://i.wheelsage.org/image/format/picture/picture-preview-large/corvette/c2/corvette_sting_ray_convertible_show_car_2.jpg

vs recycled switchgear from economy cars and pickup trucks.

orionz06
07-20-2019, 05:26 PM
No. Some interiors are timeless, some are dated, and some are a mix.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/6d/db/076ddb1ac9123783d87841b317645cac.jpg

https://i.wheelsage.org/image/format/picture/picture-preview-large/corvette/c2/corvette_sting_ray_convertible_show_car_2.jpg

vs recycled switchgear from economy cars and pickup trucks.

I wasn’t clear, didn’t mean the classic cars, I meant mostly the 90’s until not long ago. Specifically the new Camaros and the like. They just couldn’t compete.

Classics are classic for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
07-20-2019, 05:40 PM
I wasn’t clear, didn’t mean the classic cars, I meant mostly the 90’s until not long ago. Specifically the new Camaros and the like. They just couldn’t compete.

Classics are classic for a reason.

Oh, yeah, the '90s Generic Motors were pretty much everything was recycled from every other model. Big slabs of plastic, cheap-o buttons, rattling door panels, etc.

I think Lincoln still had some reasonable interiors in the 70's - 90's. At least you knew it was a Lincoln. Remember the vacuum speedometer that filled with fluid to indicate the speed? I still think those are awesome. I am a big fan of even the not-so-classic Lincolns, but my wife insists they are "old man cars" and was pretty excited when I sold my last one.

Borderland
07-20-2019, 07:14 PM
Maybe for the C9 they’ll ditch the fiberglass ?

Yeah, what's wrong with aluminum?

It's worked on aircraft for a long time and it works for Ferrari.

https://i.ibb.co/y5m2Kjx/download.jpg

RevolverRob
07-20-2019, 07:56 PM
What's wrong with...fiberglass? It's not like the 'glass used on a 'Vette today is the same stuff your dad used to patch holes in his tri-hull boat. It's a woven honeycomb material that is as light as aluminum. Only thing that will go lighter is a carbon fiber weave (which is...get this...a carbon fiberglass...).

Aluminum sucks.

Seriously. It sucks.

You think your steel bodied car gets door dings now. Wait until someone rams a lumber cart into it at full speed at Home Depot. And then you get the damn bill. The only thing more expensive than aluminum is repairing aluminum. Ford has driven the cost down on its trucks, close to that of steel, by basically making it such that almost every panel can be replaced, as opposed to repaired. This makes some types of damage (e.g., hail) cheaper to repair. But not all types. And insurance database records are showing about 10% more body damage claims on F-150s for 2015+ vehicles, compared to those before. Not compelling data overall.

Ferrari choosing to use aluminum means nothing in the world of mass produced cars. Let's be clear, there are more Corvettes produced every year, than the entire line of Ferraris like 2-3x as many Corvettes as Ferraris. As a result, there are definitely more repairs conducted, more miles driven, more racetrack events, etc. A Corvette in aluminum would not only suck to repair, but it would likely be considerably more expensive, since GM would have to re-engineer it, like Ford did the F150 to keep repair costs down. Either do that or just start selling 10k units a year like Ferrari does and charge Ferrari prices...

Oh and it wouldn't weigh any less...In fact it would probably weigh more. This reminds me a bit of "metal framed" gun discussions. The only real reason to pick aluminum over polymer is because there isn't a polymer frame to choose. Otherwise your choices are polymer or steel. Steel for weight, polymer for not weight. Structurally they're about the same. Unlike aluminum, which even in handguns, sucks, compared to plastic or steel.

Jim Watson
07-20-2019, 08:14 PM
The friend who went to the shooting match with me today was trying to go from C6 to C7 and he hasn't had the C6 very long.

Oh, yeah, we went in my van. Range bags, coolers, my folding chair, his bucket stool. Down a dirt road. Corvette need not apply.

RevolverRob
07-20-2019, 08:17 PM
Down a dirt road. Corvette need not apply.

Only if you lack imagination...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoXpB4hWsdI

BehindBlueI's
07-20-2019, 09:41 PM
Only if you lack imagination...

I'm trying not to be the "your fun is wrong" guy here but...

RevolverRob
07-20-2019, 10:03 PM
I'm trying not to be the "your fun is wrong" guy here but...

I admit, the C3 on the truck frame is pretty bad.

But the C2 that is rally prepped? That is awesome. I love driving on asphalt as much as the next guy. But dirt and gravel is just next level fun. If I had the space to build and house a dedicated rally vehicle, I’d have one.

My dreams are sometimes of Le Mans or Sebring...but more often than not they are of the Baja 1000, Targa Newfoundland, Carrera Panamerica, the Peking-To-Paris, the Dakar. Get in a car and drive it to the ends of the Earth and back...

orionz06
07-20-2019, 10:22 PM
This is the Vette for me right now. Not even sure if it's real or a render, but that's hard to beat.
https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/attachments/stingray-corvette-photos-videos/1250d1383439571-green-stingrays-green1.jpg

RevolverRob
07-20-2019, 10:37 PM
This is the Vette for me right now. Not even sure if it's real or a render, but that's hard to beat.
https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/attachments/stingray-corvette-photos-videos/1250d1383439571-green-stingrays-green1.jpg

I still can’t stand those stupid quad exhaust tips, so dumb.

KellyinAvon
07-20-2019, 10:48 PM
Corvettes should have round tail lights, 4 each. Just sayin...

Bucky
07-21-2019, 06:25 AM

I've had Z06 in my screenname everywhere forever, I've always had a soft spot for Corvettes, but the C8 is almost a disconnect. I'm thankful that an American car company actually seems to give a shit about performance beyond 1/4 mile times and noise, but it'll take me a bit to come around. The C3 and C7 are my faves, with the C7 looking really fucking good. I'd almost rather see them dump the Camaro, keep the C7 and rev it to a C8, and have the mid-engine be a new car all together.

I'm unsure that I'll have a car that I can't drive from spring to fall, but if this slams the C7 pricing I could see a ZR1 in the future. I don't see that happening though, I think those prices will stay put, dealers will mark up C8's, and it'll be two years for the market to normalize.

Do you currently have a Z06?

BehindBlueI's
07-21-2019, 12:25 PM
https://www.space.com/apollo-astrovette-corvette-astronauts-legacy.html

Scott Kelly, the former NASA astronaut who spent nearly a year in space on his last mission, made a surprise appearance at the unveiling of the C8 Corvette Thursday (July 18) in front of 1,300 people in Tustin, Calif.

Corvette was a part of the space program from the very beginning.

Alan Shepard received a white 1962 Corvette as congratulations for being the first American in space in 1961. Afterwards, Florida Chevrolet-Cadillac dealer Jim Rathmann negotiated a $1-a-year lease agreement for Shepard's six fellow Mercury astronauts.

(more at link)

Grey
07-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Thats bad ass blues

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

orionz06
07-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Do you currently have a Z06?

No. My screenname was made in highschool when I wanted a Z06 and Orion was taken everywhere. It's stuck ever since. Ironically pre-C7, I hated most of the vette's because I experienced German cars and was ruined. My goal starting college was to have a Corvette within 5 years of graduating college, without having any real bearing on what the costs and practicalities were.

rayrevolver
07-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Ladies and Gents, this link below is a C5Z for $18,500 and less than 20,000 miles. There are not a lot of cars for less than $20k with this level of performance.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/770843649/overview/

The great thing about this car was that it could cruise on the freeway and get 28mpg. My wife used to pick up the kid at school in it and you could limp around like any other Chevy. And then you could stomp on it and enjoy 405hp/405ftlb. The grip level was pretty high though, so losing traction in fast corners was a scary affair. I can understand the single car Corvette accident!

I really didn't take many pictures of my car but this will be the last picture... I promise!

https://live.staticflickr.com/1966/44672567374_ee87b8290c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2b4yzUS)

Duelist
07-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Ladies and Gents, this link below is a C5Z for $18,500 and less than 20,000 miles. There are not a lot of cars for less than $20k with this level of performance.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/770843649/overview/

The great thing about this car was that it could cruise on the freeway and get 28mpg. My wife used to pick up the kid at school in it and you could limp around like any other Chevy. And then you could stomp on it and enjoy 405hp/405ftlb. The grip level was pretty high though, so losing traction in fast corners was a scary affair. I can understand the single car Corvette accident!

I really didn't take many pictures of my car but this will be the last picture... I promise!

https://live.staticflickr.com/1966/44672567374_ee87b8290c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2b4yzUS)

And the car you linked to is yellow. Kinda want. Should pay off my student loans before I buy something like that.

BehindBlueI's
07-22-2019, 12:38 AM

Accident reported
Vehicle ran off road
Vehicle overturned
Involving undercarriage impact
It hit a stationary object
It hit an embankment
It hit a utility pole
Damage reported to:
Left side
Left rear
Left front
Hood
Roof
Trunk
Undercarriage
Windshield
Vehicle towed
Airbags did not deploy
01/09/2008

Damage Report
TOTAL LOSS VEHICLE

Per the carfax.

Car is Mint,

Per the ad.

Hard pass.

That said, the C5's are getting pretty reasonable. Like I said, I strongly considered it when I ended up with the Camaro SS instead.

rayrevolver
07-22-2019, 10:18 AM
Belay my last!!!

You can get 100k mile 2003-2004 Z06s for under $20k all day. I just did a sort on Cars.com for the cheapest, lowest mile 03-04, and viola: A mint, totaled Z.

When I was looking in 2010 the prices were about the same. The low miles cars were between $25-30k. I bought mine with 16,767 miles on the clock. It was never rained on and in immaculate condition. The guy selling it was upset that he had to drive on a dirt road to meet us at the local airport (my friend flew me down to Oregon to pick it up).

The 2005 Z06 was another $10k or so. But it really didn't blow my skirt up like the C5Z.

Back to the 2020. I don't know if I want a car like this without a manual. Yes I know the SMG transmission is faster but I enjoy the third pedal. Sorry Ferrari, if I win the lotto I will be driving a Porsche with a clutch pedal. And maybe a 2019 Grand Sport for grocery shopping.

OlongJohnson
07-22-2019, 03:27 PM
Mid engine at $60k and sub 3s 0-60? That is the sound of Porsche Cayman prices falling into the basement.

Probably won't do much to the three-pedal '09-12 S model prices, sadly, as people who still want one of those aren't likely to be distracted by Chevy's newest hotness.

RJ
07-22-2019, 05:46 PM
One of the better videos I’ve seen.

https://youtu.be/3ge2Xdq8w34

RJ
07-25-2019, 07:19 PM
No MT, evah, apparently:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/corvette-c8-will-not-offer-a-manual-at-any-point/

11B10
07-25-2019, 07:34 PM
No MT, evah, apparently:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/corvette-c8-will-not-offer-a-manual-at-any-point/

RJ, - you and I have had some conversation about the 2000 S Class I "inherited" from my brother. If you would care to hear a story about a 19 year old and a 1963 Z06, pm me. Don't wanna drift this thread too (my specialty).

RJ
07-26-2019, 10:45 AM
RJ, - you and I have had some conversation about the 2000 S Class I "inherited" from my brother. If you would care to hear a story about a 19 year old and a 1963 Z06, pm me. Don't wanna drift this thread too (my specialty).

Hell, post it here!

I may be a panty-waist German car guy, but for value for buck performance, it is hard to beat a Corvette of any vintage.

Old Man Winter
07-26-2019, 11:24 AM
Exterior looks amazing but the interior looks like they ran out of money and had an intern finish it up.

BehindBlueI's
08-06-2019, 08:31 PM
C7s new on the lot are getting some pretty hefty discounts now. Nearly $10k.

Borderland
08-06-2019, 09:04 PM
I would buy a Toyota MR2 instead of that mid engine sports car......if they still made them. Still too heavy for a mid engine car.

I don't expect they will be big sellers the first year or two, but I've been wrong before. Maybe the compartment behind the engine will help sell them. You can get 2 sets of golf clubs in there.;)

BehindBlueI's
08-06-2019, 09:11 PM
I don't expect they will be big sellers the first year or two, but I've been wrong before.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-c8-corvette-is-almost-sold-out-1836786827

Michael Simcoe, General Motor’s design chief, told Autoblog at the Concours d’Elegance of America...that new ‘Vette orders are either already at capacity or nearly there.

Borderland
08-06-2019, 10:39 PM

I'm probably wrong. I know nothing about new sports cars.;)

Bucky
08-07-2019, 06:06 AM
C7s new on the lot are getting some pretty hefty discounts now. Nearly $10k.

Figures. They were going up for a bit. At least I got mine at sticker.

rob_s
08-07-2019, 07:34 AM
I don't expect they will be big sellers the first year or two, but I've been wrong before. Maybe the compartment behind the engine will help sell them. You can get 2 sets of golf clubs in there.;)

I'm probably wrong. I know nothing about new sports cars.;)

They will sell every goddamn one no problem. For every dood that says he won’t buy one because:”not a corvette” or because:no-manual or whatever other whackadoo reason, there’s 10 guys that would never have bought a corvette before that now will want one.

RJ
08-07-2019, 07:45 AM
They will sell every goddamn one no problem. For every dood that says he won’t buy one because:”not a corvette” or because:no-manual or whatever other whackadoo reason, there’s 10 guys that would never have bought a corvette before that now will want one.

There are quite a few folks over at my fancy-pants German car forum who have deposits down. Based on the poll results there, it’s receiving a thumbs up generally from the p-car owners.

Personally I think it is pretty cool.

I’d love to drive one.

BehindBlueI's
08-07-2019, 08:34 AM
Even my Corvette-averse wife is now very much onboard with a Corvette. She suggested "in about five years" taking a look at them. I suggested more like about 8 years unless I go back to Homicide/Robbery and up my overtime game and/or our son rakes in a ton of scholarships.

Seriously, though, I could trade out of my Camaro SS into a new C7 Stingray at under $300/mo. I don't intend to, but wow.

Borderland
08-07-2019, 09:11 AM

Prospective Corvette buyers have been able to reserve a mid-engine C8 via an online registration process since the car's unveiling. Simcoe did not reveal number of reservations placed, nor did he reveal the number of cars Chevy plans to build for the 2020 model year.

The devil is in the details.;)

LittleLebowski
08-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Even my Corvette-averse wife is now very much onboard with a Corvette. She suggested "in about five years" taking a look at them. I suggested more like about 8 years unless I go back to Homicide/Robbery and up my overtime game and/or our son rakes in a ton of scholarships.

Seriously, though, I could trade out of my Camaro SS into a new C7 Stingray at under $300/mo. I don't intend to, but wow.

Man, I'm in the wrong business :D

Borderland
08-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Maybe not.

How many of those new Corvettes will be financed?

BehindBlueI's
08-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Sometimes I think the same thing...

BehindBlueI's
08-07-2019, 11:10 AM
Who's the dumbass who stopped and looked at C7s on the lot today?

BehindBlueI's
08-07-2019, 05:43 PM
Who's the dumbass who stopped and looked at C7s on the lot today?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/781826955/overview/

Nope. Nope. Nope.

RJ
08-07-2019, 06:58 PM
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/781826955/overview/

Nope. Nope. Nope.

6 speed manual.

4K miles.

Fwoar.

RJ
08-08-2019, 04:35 AM
There are quite a few folks over at my fancy-pants German car forum who have deposits down. Based on the poll results there, it’s receiving a thumbs up generally from the p-car owners.

Ahem.

https://rennlist.com/articles/rennlist-forum-members-get-fired-up-over-the-c8-corvette/

"n July, General Motors finally revealed the hotly anticipated C8 Corvette. Praise for the Chevy was swift and overwhelming, with the vast majority of automotive publications and blogs declaring it a huge step in the right direction. The nameplate has a real chance at making inroads with Porsche customers and enthusiasts of other brands. With a starting price below $60,000 and a 0-60 time of under three seconds, it’s not hard to understand why. The Chevrolet C8 Corvette presents a value proposition unlike any other car currently on the market.

Rennlist members understand the Corvette’s potential to upend the market, and the merits of the Chevy have been discussed in-depth since April. That’s when Rennlist member “gt9729b” initiated a thread asking his fellow members about their thoughts on the Chevy. With the official debut of the Corvette, the post has exploded in popularity. Many people chimed in to offer their opinions on the C8 and what it represents for GM and for Porsche. The discussion is lively, and potentially a sign that the German automaker needs to step up its game if it wants to prevent Porsche owners from jumping ship."

BehindBlueI's
08-08-2019, 11:31 AM
The C6/C7 Corvette didn't really justify my $ to fun ratio over my Camaro SS. Somebody was potentially trading in a Camaro ZL1, the supercharged Camaro....and I just bought new windshield wipers for mine. Actually, I think I'll go clay bar and wax mine.

Bucky
08-08-2019, 03:21 PM
The C6/C7 Corvette didn't really justify my $ to fun ratio over my Camaro SS. Somebody was potentially trading in a Camaro ZL1, the supercharged Camaro....and I just bought new windshield wipers for mine. Actually, I think I'll go clay bar and wax mine.

T.M.I.!

idahojess
09-14-2019, 12:42 PM

How has your Camaro held up?

BehindBlueI's
09-14-2019, 12:48 PM
How has your Camaro held up?

I don't drive it much, but the only thing that's went out is one of the backup sensors in the rear bumper. It's the farthest to the right one because I can hear that it's not clicking when the car is in reverse (with key in 'accessory' position, of course) and all the others are. I'm not sure if a pothole jostled it loose or it's just went out. I don't particularly care because I know how to use mirrors, it doesn't cause an idiot light on the dash, and I don't have to listen to it beep as I back past my truck in the driveway.

I've replaced the battery (original), tires (original), and windshield wipers (probably original) for maintenance items.

Clusterfrack
09-14-2019, 07:17 PM
I’m visiting my buddy again who owns a Tesla Model 3 with 4-wheel drive. I’m just as impressed this time as I was the first time I drove it. I would take the Tesla hands down over the Corvette, or any comparably priced sports car.

BehindBlueI's
09-14-2019, 07:31 PM
I’m visiting my buddy again who owns a Tesla Model 3 with 4-wheel drive. I’m just as impressed this time as I was the first time I drove it. I would take the Tesla hands down over the Corvette, or any comparably priced sports car.

Not me. I want V8 noise. I want the ability to take long road trips. I don't want the manufacturer to have the ability to modify my car over the air. Tesla's "over the air updates" can alter things as fundamental as braking distance. Hard pass. I don't give a shit how fast they are, how hard they accelerate, etc. Sports cars are a type of freedom and Tesla isn't that to me.

Bucky
09-14-2019, 07:53 PM
Not me. I want V8 noise. I want the ability to take long road trips. I don't want the manufacturer to have the ability to modify my car over the air. Tesla's "over the air updates" can alter things as fundamental as braking distance. Hard pass. I don't give a shit how fast they are, how hard they accelerate, etc. Sports cars are a type of freedom and Tesla isn't that to me.

But, but, but, Teslas come with fart mode now!

RJ
11-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Nice.

https://youtu.be/NphnnjQDa8w

BehindBlueI's
11-22-2019, 11:06 PM
Nice.

https://youtu.be/NphnnjQDa8w

https://i.imgur.com/6gRCnAr.gif

Bucky
11-23-2019, 05:53 AM
Not me. I want V8 noise.

Honest to god, true story: I had my Z06 at work. I was backed into a parking spot in the parking deck, very close to the concrete half wall. As I go to leave, I fire the car up and two cars over the car alarm goes off. Naturally I look to see what’s going on, an no one else is around. Then it occurred to me, the exhaust, the acoustics, reverberation, must of set the alarm off. And yes, it was a Tesla! :p

Haven’t been able to reproduce it (of course I tried :p:p)

Bucky
11-23-2019, 06:01 AM
I’m becoming an addict. Since this thread was started, I’ve picked up second Corvette (2012 Grand Sport), that’s essentially become a daily driver.

Nephrology
11-23-2019, 10:32 AM

With all of Tesla's QC and CS issues, I don't think it would be worth the registration fees if I was given one for free.

RJ
01-07-2020, 09:11 PM
Getting ready for Lemans.

Gotta say, this thing sounds pretty bad ass.

https://youtu.be/mCElwtx05pU

LockedBreech
01-07-2020, 10:30 PM
This thing looks hot as hell. Too bad at 6'5" I will never, ever fit in one.

JRB
01-08-2020, 01:23 AM

Have you tried sitting in one? Back in my hot rod shop days, we had a customer with a 1000whp C6 Z06 that was at least 6ft 4in and he was comfortable in it.

Bucky
01-08-2020, 05:12 AM

Get a convertible. ;)

Seriously, I’m a tad over 6’ and I have plenty of room in my C6 and C7. Can’t comment on the C8 (yet :p), but I’m sure it’ll be the same.

Bucky
01-08-2020, 05:14 AM
Getting ready for Lemans.

Gotta say, this thing sounds pretty bad ass.

https://youtu.be/mCElwtx05pU

I’m wanting one more and more each day. The two local dealerships have loonngggg waiting lists.

mmc45414
01-08-2020, 07:59 AM
No MT, evah, apparently
At least it is for performance related reasons, rather than just placating the people that need to eat their Dairy Queen cone while they drive back to the garage where they left their car cover. The structural aspect is interesting, but the super low first gear, OTOH :cool:

But if these can be actually acquired for the $60k, and they depreciate at the pace that Corvettes typically do...

orionz06
01-08-2020, 08:01 AM
But if these can be actually acquired for the $60k, and they depreciate at the pace that Corvettes typically do...

I'm really curious about this. If they don't blow up and actually move for $60k, the auto market has changed significantly.

hufnagel
01-08-2020, 08:23 AM
I've been having the urge to scoop up a Gen4 or Gen5 convertible vette, just because.

RJ
01-08-2020, 08:29 AM
I'm really curious about this. If they don't blow up and actually move for $60k, the auto market has changed significantly.

This.

I keep pondering what my Cayman S would have handled like with a mid engine V8. Woah.

Welder
01-08-2020, 08:15 PM
I've been having the urge to scoop up a Gen4 or Gen5 convertible vette, just because.

Come into my office; this 6-speed has your name on it.

hufnagel
01-08-2020, 08:50 PM
heh.
you have my attention. :D

I'm wanting to have such an eclectic car collection.

BehindBlueI's
01-10-2020, 08:46 PM
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/gm-employees-jailed-racing-c8-corvettes-street/

According to Kentucky State Police, a trooper stopped Alexander Thim and Mark Derkatz on the evening of Wednesday, January 8, on Lovers Lane in Bowling Green, for exceeding the posted 45-mph speed limit by more than 26 mph, reckless driving, and racing motor vehicles on a public road. Automobile has not yet been able to verify just how much higher than 71 mph the cars were traveling

Whoopsie.

rayrevolver
01-10-2020, 09:48 PM
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/gm-employees-jailed-racing-c8-corvettes-street/

Whoopsie.

Amateur hour!

Here is the Police Blotter from when my compatriots were on a work trip (redacted by me). Thankfully I was not on this trip! One of the three didn't come back on company travel. Oops.

Police Blotter 6/13/09
In-town drag racing results in arrests

Police responded to a report of reckless driving near the intersection of College Boulevard and Garden Avenue. According to the report, three XXX employees from the XXX area were in Roswell for training at the international air center. Their employer rented three Chevrolet Impalas from Avis Rent A Car for them to drive during training. All three vehicles had the police packages, which includes a more powerful engine and a beefed-up suspension. According to the manager at Avis, the men took the cars out onto the runway on Monday, spinning doughnuts and driving at speeds of 120 mph.

Later, two of the men were arrested and charged with reckless driving after racing in the area of College Boulevard and Garden Avenue. The back end of one of the vehicles was totaled after it slammed into a fire hydrant. Eight tires valued at $2,400 were completely shredded and required replacement. Avis billed XXX for the damages.

Balisong
01-11-2020, 03:26 PM

Whoopsie.

I'm raising the bullshit flag on this one.

You really expect me to believe the idea of Corvettes not being driven 10mph under the speed limit in the fast lane?

BehindBlueI's
01-14-2020, 08:08 AM
More details on the engineers' street racing escapades:

Alexander Thim, 27, of West Bloomfield, and Mark Derkatz, 30, of Windsor, Ontario, were clocked by Kentucky state troopers Wednesday night going 120 mph and 100 mph, respectively, in a 45-mph zone,

and:

Kentucky State Troopers detected the scent of alcohol on both joyriders

https://www.freep.com/story/news/2020/01/12/thim-derkatz-gm-engineers-arrested-100-mph-joyride-c-8-corvette-stingrays/4450339002/

*edit*

On a side note, "joyriders" has historically meant the car was stolen. I'm not sure why the media is using the term in this case.

DC_P
01-14-2020, 09:04 AM
You really expect me to believe the idea of Corvettes not being driven 10mph under the speed limit in the fast lane?

It was 27-30 yr old engineers driving them, not the people who buy them. Does make it hard for them to try a 'real world use testing' defense.

Bucky
01-14-2020, 04:47 PM
On a side note, "joyriders" has historically meant the car was stolen. I'm not sure why the media is using the term in this case.

To be fair, screaming down the road at 120 MPH is still a joy ride, even if you are in legal possession of the vehicle..., not that I’d know, of course. :rolleyes:

oakdalecurtis
01-14-2020, 05:46 PM
Reminds me of when I was selling new Toyota's about 30 years ago. I went along with a customer on a test drive in an MR2. We made it about three blocks from the dealership at high speed before being pulled over by a cop. After the perfunctory speeding ticket, the customer drove the MR2 right back to the dealership and bought a Corolla......

Bart Carter
01-14-2020, 06:13 PM
I used to be a salesman at British Motor Cars in Sacramento. We were one exit away from the Sacramento State fairgrounds. MG, Triumph, Jensen Healey, Jaguar all had a demo on the fairgrounds' parking lot, which was larger than any autoX. And on those occasions that I got a potential Lotus buyer...:D

GJM
01-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Serial number 1, 2020 Corvette just sold at Barrett Jackson auction for $3 million.

BehindBlueI's
01-23-2020, 12:24 PM
Serial number 1, 2020 Corvette just sold at Barrett Jackson auction for $3 million.

Surprising absolutely nobody:

“I won’t ever drive it," said Hendrick, who opts to tool around in a black GMC Tahoe SUV instead. "I’ll put it away."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2020/01/23/first-corvette-auction-rick-hendrick/4531737002/

On a related note, the Corvette Museum is worth the stop if you're in the area and at all interested in this sort of thing.

Amp
01-23-2020, 04:20 PM
Car and Driver and MotorTrend have each published images of a black 2020 Stingray propped up on bricks with its wheels removed on a Detroit street.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/2020-chevrolet-corvette-stingrays-wheels-stolen-detroit

Bergeron
01-23-2020, 06:30 PM
It’s sad to hear that the #1 C8 will simply sit.

Perhaps the owner sees it as an investment? If so, maybe he could loan it out to the Corvette Museum. Their infrastructure abd preservation capability will be superior to that of any single individual, and time spent as a show car in the Museum may increase it’s value.

Weird that it’s red. I was under the impression that the #1 car of a generation was traditionally white.

BehindBlueI's
01-23-2020, 06:42 PM
Weird that it’s red. I was under the impression that the #1 car of a generation was traditionally white.

The one in the photo op is a body double. It's a pre-production prototype. The real #1 VIN car hasn't been built yet, so it may not be red.

theJanitor
01-23-2020, 07:04 PM
Perhaps the owner sees it as an investment? If so, maybe he could loan it out to the Corvette Museum. Their infrastructure abd preservation capability will be superior to that of any single individual, and time spent as a show car in the Museum may increase it’s value.

If I'm not mistaken, Rick Hendrick bought it. His resources likely surpasses that of the museum's. And he regularly vies to buy GM's #1 VIN cars.

Bergeron
01-23-2020, 07:53 PM
These feet of mine, they taste delicious. :eek:

I do appreciate the further information!

theJanitor
01-23-2020, 08:15 PM
some great Vettes in his collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vKQ-S-WMpY

Hemiram
02-02-2020, 04:32 AM
I really dislike the C8, but I don't like the Camaro or the full sized trucks much either. To be honest, I really hate the Camaro's looks, and have since it was reintro'ed in 2009. GM is lost to me at this point. Even some of Ford's stuff looks better. This is coming from a 2 time Camaro owner (78 and 86) and one time Firebird owner (79). If the Challenger didn't exist, I guess I would be driving a (gulp) Mustang, and in general, I've never liked the Mustang's look much, regardless of what generation it was. But, it's better looking than the Camaro is. If there is a next gen Camaro, I hope GM gets off the drugs or whatever and makes it look good, but I have little hope they will.

Bucky
02-02-2020, 07:23 AM
I really dislike the C8, but I don't like the Camaro or the full sized trucks much either. To be honest, I really hate the Camaro's looks, and have since it was reintro'ed in 2009. GM is lost to me at this point. Even some of Ford's stuff looks better. This is coming from a 2 time Camaro owner (78 and 86) and one time Firebird owner (79). If the Challenger didn't exist, I guess I would be driving a (gulp) Mustang, and in general, I've never liked the Mustang's look much, regardless of what generation it was. But, it's better looking than the Camaro is. If there is a next gen Camaro, I hope GM gets off the drugs or whatever and makes it look good, but I have little hope they will.

While I don’t dislike the C8, I think it’s a step down in looks. Personally, I think the C7 is one of the best looking cars Chevy ever made.

JHC
02-19-2020, 03:15 PM
I always enjoy Engineering Explained vids. Top speed 194 mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B85SaCFNqgM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2o11E_nxKf2wMpkJiVoTBV1LqroatY_9pSM0duY krGtopOflaL67yruP8

Doc_Glock
02-19-2020, 04:35 PM
While I don’t dislike the C8, I think it’s a step down in looks. Personally, I think the C7 is one of the best looking cars Chevy ever made.

100% agreed.

Bucky
02-19-2020, 05:44 PM
I always enjoy Engineering Explained vids. Top speed 194 mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B85SaCFNqgM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2o11E_nxKf2wMpkJiVoTBV1LqroatY_9pSM0duY krGtopOflaL67yruP8

I do like his videos and subscribe to his channel.

Bucky
02-19-2020, 06:30 PM
So much want. Word at my local dealerships, if you didn’t preorder, better luck in 2021.

noguns
02-19-2020, 06:45 PM
Had a c5 z05. C8 is great and I applaud gm for going mid engine. I'd still rather have a c6 grandsport or c6 z06. I'm not a fan that there is no manual.

bofe954
02-19-2020, 06:49 PM
I'll buy one of the used ones with 15K miles on it in 5 years. Hopefully they won't have swapped out the stock wheels for polished chrome ones in that time...

Bucky
02-19-2020, 07:47 PM
Had a c5 z05. C8 is great and I applaud gm for going mid engine. I'd still rather have a c6 grandsport or c6 z06. I'm not a fan that there is no manual.

I have a C6 Grandsport that I’d likely need to trade on a C8, which will be quite difficult. :) :(

RJ
02-23-2020, 12:55 PM
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019/07/25/michelins-all-season-tires-will-be-standard-on-the-base-2020-corvette-stingray/

"The Corvette engineering team has long made a point of listening to their customers.

That’s one reason you’ll find all-season run-flat tires on the new mid-engine Corvette Stingray, instead of the summer tires offered on the C7 Corvette.

More customers than ever are saying that they’d really like to drive three seasons on the same tires,” Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter explained to Car and Driver magazine.

With the advancements in tire technology over the past few years, the decision wasn’t a hard one, though it did take five years of development to come up with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 that will be standard on the 2020 Stingray. "

Michelin Pilot Sports...all seasons...interesting...

Bergeron
02-23-2020, 02:36 PM
I'm so enamored of this car, but I am dissapointed at how ever-increasing crash standards have impacted visibilty out of cars.

Bucky
02-23-2020, 06:26 PM
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019/07/25/michelins-all-season-tires-will-be-standard-on-the-base-2020-corvette-stingray/

"The Corvette engineering team has long made a point of listening to their customers.

That’s one reason you’ll find all-season run-flat tires on the new mid-engine Corvette Stingray, instead of the summer tires offered on the C7 Corvette.

More customers than ever are saying that they’d really like to drive three seasons on the same tires,” Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter explained to Car and Driver magazine.

With the advancements in tire technology over the past few years, the decision wasn’t a hard one, though it did take five years of development to come up with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 that will be standard on the 2020 Stingray. "

Michelin Pilot Sports...all seasons...interesting...

I’ve got the Pilot All Season 3 on my C6 and they’re a great tire. I’d imagine the “4” is as good or better.

Bart Carter
02-23-2020, 07:12 PM
I’ve got the Pilot All Season 3 on my C6 and they’re a great tire. I’d imagine the “4” is as good or better.

1.04 G is great for an all season tire.

Bucky
02-24-2020, 07:15 AM

Is this sarcasm? My C7 has "proper" Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on it. It sure looks great sitting in the garage. Can't wait to drive it when it eventually warms up. Well, off to work in 20 degree weather in the C6.

RevolverRob
02-24-2020, 11:14 AM
Damn the C8 is ugly, looks like a poor man's McLaren 12C.

I really wish GM and future C8 owners good luck on these, but I trust GM to build a mid-engined supercar about as much as I trust Hilary Clinton with top secret state information...

Bart Carter
02-24-2020, 12:55 PM

Is this sarcasm? My C7 has "proper" Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on it. It sure looks great sitting in the garage. Can't wait to drive it when it eventually warms up. Well, off to work in 20 degree weather in the C6.

No, not sarcasm, a simple statement of fact. Motor Trend states the C8, on it's all season tires, pulls 1.04 G. I said that is great for an all season tire. You disagree?

Bucky
02-24-2020, 09:13 PM
No, not sarcasm, a simple statement of fact. Motor Trend states the C8, on it's all season tires, pulls 1.04 G. I said that is great for an all season tire. You disagree?

No, I certainly misread you. I think that’s awesome. Two likes for you! :)

Bucky
02-28-2020, 07:03 PM
Not mine, hopefully someday.

Bucky
02-29-2020, 11:10 PM
Now they’re just taunting me parking these right outside our room. :eek:

RJ
03-07-2020, 05:07 PM
Finally saw a 2020 Corvette today at the Amelia Island Cars and Coffee event.

I was unprepared for the sheer size of the car, The rear track is YUGE. I am not sure it would fit in my single car garage.

It looks much better from the front than from the rear. The rear window looks teeny. Did not sit in it, but I would be curious how the rear vision would be.

Interior still looks wacky to me. But it’s a Corvette.

I think they will sell every one they make. More power to em.

Bucky
03-07-2020, 05:45 PM
It looks much better from the front than from the rear. The rear window looks teeny. Did not sit in it, but I would be curious how the rear vision would be.

The default mode of the rear view mirror is camera, so there's perfect vision out the rear if you use that. Turn it off, and vision becomes a bit more obscured.

Stephanie B
03-07-2020, 05:57 PM

That is one weird-ass looking cupholder.

TOTS
03-18-2020, 09:19 PM
As ugly as the interior is, I defy someone to find a better handling sreet/track car for the money than the C5 Z. The setup and power were fantastically balanced for a front engine rwd car. These things were the last ones you could take to the track, throw some stickies and a helmet on, change to an aggressive pad, and go hunting. I got mine used in 07 and put 175K on it and only had to add oil and gas. Still gets 34 mpg on the highways in 6th at 1800 rpm.

Le Français
03-18-2020, 10:50 PM
As ugly as the interior is, I defy someone to find a better handling sreet/track car for the money than the C5 Z. The setup and power were fantastically balanced for a front engine rwd car. These things were the last ones you could take to the track, throw some stickies and a helmet on, change to an aggressive pad, and go hunting. I got mine used in 07 and put 175K on it and only had to add oil and gas. Still gets 34 mpg on the highways in 6th at 1800 rpm.

Very nice. I almost got one recently. Did you find the driver’s seat to be up to the task of holding you in place on the track, or did you swap it out?

Bucky
03-19-2020, 05:33 AM
These things were the last ones you could take to the track, throw some stickies and a helmet on, change to an aggressive pad, and go hunting.

I’m not quite sure what you mean, or why a C6 or C7 can’t do the same.

Agree about the value. Beautiful car TOTS.

TOTS
03-19-2020, 07:51 AM
Very nice. I almost got one recently. Did you find the driver’s seat to be up to the task of holding you in place on the track, or did you swap it out?

I can’t remember if I read it on Corvette forum or Z06 vettes, but there was a thread about unzipping the seat covers and moving some of the padding from behind the side supports to inside them. The frame of the seat seems to be a fiberglass core with a lot of foam on the front with a little behind it for padding. I just bulked up the padding in front and it hugs your sides tighter, providing more support. Caveat emptor; it’s only a long-term solution for thinner dudes. Big guys need big seats.

TAZ
03-19-2020, 01:34 PM
Love the look of it, but its a Lottery win car for me unfortunately.

JRB
03-19-2020, 02:08 PM
A C8 at the Tx2k event in Houston last week ran a bottom 12 at 118 in the 1/4. Same car with some N2O immediately broke an axle and had to be towed away. It'll be interesting to see how these cars respond to mods, but a 118mph trap for a base pkg is promising.

The C5 Z06 is a lot of car, but C5's aren't aging well as a whole, so I'd be very careful to scrutinize any potential C5 buys. There are a lot of 'C5 problems' with the interior, power seat, window seals, etc.

For the $, personally, I say C6 Z06 or 08+ C6 Z51.
If one wants a cheaper fun car, an 03-04 C5 Z51 can be found for $12-14k if you shop around, and I think that's money well saved vs a $20-22k C5 Z06.

Bucky
03-20-2020, 04:35 AM
For the $, personally, I say C6 Z06 or 08+ C6 Z51.

I was seriously considering trading my C6 Grand Sport for a C6 Z06. Even had a perfect one lined up, but it was bought out from under me. Then I wondered why the 7.0 L had been dropped from the lineup. Did some research and found they had some issues.

What prompted my curiosity was many years back, we did a 400 small block build for a friends Z-28. Because the bore was so big, there was no room for coolant to circulate between the cylinders. The engine ate head gaskets and was an overheating nightmare.

The 6.2 has a great track record thus far, and can be pretty impressive like the C7 ZR-1 at 755 HP.

JRB
03-20-2020, 04:24 PM
I was seriously considering trading my C6 Grand Sport for a C6 Z06. Even had a perfect one lined up, but it was bought out from under me. Then I wondered why the 7.0 L had been dropped from the lineup. Did some research and found they had some issues.

What prompted my curiosity was many years back, we did a 400 small block build for a friends Z-28. Because the bore was so big, there was no room for coolant to circulate between the cylinders. The engine ate head gaskets and was an overheating nightmare.

The 6.2 has a great track record thus far, and can be pretty impressive like the C7 ZR-1 at 755 HP.

The Z06's chassis advantages to include all the CF and other nice parts (that the Grand Sport mostly got too) are what really makes the car special. It's hardly just a hot engine. Now, if you wanted more HP to scratch the itch I'd just modify the Grand Sport's native LS3 and live happily ever after. East Coast Supercharging makes a fantastic Novi 1500 SC kit and combined with catted long tube headers will make ~575-700whp depending on how frisky you go with the pulley combo, and that's a pretty damn nice power level for a C6 Corvette.
Needless to say, if one is wanting to go 'all motor' then the C6 Z06 is the premier choice. Heads/cam/longtubes/intake etc can crest 650whp but it takes a lot more money than going SC, and rowdy cams sound wonderful but kick highway mileage in the nuts no matter how good your tuning is.

Ultimately, though, it was emissions and CAFE regulations that killed the 7.0L, not cooling. The LS7 cooling circuit and construction could not be much more different than a 400SBC and still be a watercooled pushrod 16v V8, so I'd disagree strongly with that comparison, too.

Yes, there's a handful of things to address with the LS7, but it's hard to find an early model that hasn't had those sorted out already, and the later ones (08+) had much fewer problems. Other LS's have their finicky issues too. But a lot of LS7 stuff is the upgrade most other Gen 3/Gen 4 LS's go to.
Beyond that, the stock LS7 longblock is good to go for ~650whp on an SC or nitrous without any fuss, and can nudge toward 1000 with rods/pistons and sleeves. From there the AL block is the weakness and going to a narrower bore such as an LS3 block doesn't buy you much leeway but that combo can carry you over 1000whp. For crazy shit, especially on nitrous or big turbo setups, going to an LSX iron block and LSX heads is pretty much necessary for the block strength and additional head stud per hole, since 1000+whp loves to lift heads and crack mains on AL stuff even with exotic L19 or CA625 head studs.

The C7's are doing pretty nicely, the C7 Z06's respond to basic mods like crazy - a SC overdrive crank pulley along with long tubes, an intake, and a tune will easily result in high 600's low 700's depending on the parts and the pump gas used. But that ~700-750whp range is just about maxing out the LT4's fuel system and adding more to a direct injection system gets interesting. The best combos I've seen actually add fuel rails with port injectors on top of the DI and that gets expensive between the hard parts and the tuning complications. A hell of a car, to be sure, but not one I'm sure is worth the cost difference vs getting a nice C6 Z06 and going to town on that.

As to the SBC - I've seen enough 377's (400 block with a 350 crank, a flat-track and dirt racer favorite) that sit on a 5500-6k rpm rev limiter for 15, 30 minutes at a time without any HG issues or cooling issues to know that there's no systemic problems with that block design. But building an SBC is a lot like building a 1911 in that all the parts must be the correct match for each other to get good results.
So I suspect your friend's Z28 engine combo was suffering from poor head gasket selection, poor block/head surface prep, re-using fatigued OE headbolts, poor water pump selection, too small/poor radiator configuration, insufficient airflow through the radiator (lack of a shroud, crappy fan selection, etc) a bad distributor/incorrectly set centrifugal/vacuum advance causing overly retarded ignition timing at low RPM (that will heat up an iron V8 FAST), or some combination of those problems.

Bucky
03-20-2020, 07:25 PM
The Z06's chassis advantages to include all the CF and other nice parts (that the Grand Sport mostly got too) are what really makes the car special. It's hardly just a hot engine. Now, if you wanted more HP to scratch the itch I'd just modify the Grand Sport's native LS3 and live happily ever after. East Coast Supercharging makes a fantastic Novi 1500 SC kit and combined with catted long tube headers will make ~575-700whp depending on how frisky you go with the pulley combo, and that's a pretty damn nice power level for a C6 Corvette.
Needless to say, if one is wanting to go 'all motor' then the C6 Z06 is the premier choice. Heads/cam/longtubes/intake etc can crest 650whp but it takes a lot more money than going SC, and rowdy cams sound wonderful but kick highway mileage in the nuts no matter how good your tuning is.

Ultimately, though, it was emissions and CAFE regulations that killed the 7.0L, not cooling. The LS7 cooling circuit and construction could not be much more different than a 400SBC and still be a watercooled pushrod 16v V8, so I'd disagree strongly with that comparison, too.

Yes, there's a handful of things to address with the LS7, but it's hard to find an early model that hasn't had those sorted out already, and the later ones (08+) had much fewer problems. Other LS's have their finicky issues too. But a lot of LS7 stuff is the upgrade most other Gen 3/Gen 4 LS's go to.
Beyond that, the stock LS7 longblock is good to go for ~650whp on an SC or nitrous without any fuss, and can nudge toward 1000 with rods/pistons and sleeves. From there the AL block is the weakness and going to a narrower bore such as an LS3 block doesn't buy you much leeway but that combo can carry you over 1000whp. For crazy shit, especially on nitrous or big turbo setups, going to an LSX iron block and LSX heads is pretty much necessary for the block strength and additional head stud per hole, since 1000+whp loves to lift heads and crack mains on AL stuff even with exotic L19 or CA625 head studs.

The C7's are doing pretty nicely, the C7 Z06's respond to basic mods like crazy - a SC overdrive crank pulley along with long tubes, an intake, and a tune will easily result in high 600's low 700's depending on the parts and the pump gas used. But that ~700-750whp range is just about maxing out the LT4's fuel system and adding more to a direct injection system gets interesting. The best combos I've seen actually add fuel rails with port injectors on top of the DI and that gets expensive between the hard parts and the tuning complications. A hell of a car, to be sure, but not one I'm sure is worth the cost difference vs getting a nice C6 Z06 and going to town on that.

As to the SBC - I've seen enough 377's (400 block with a 350 crank, a flat-track and dirt racer favorite) that sit on a 5500-6k rpm rev limiter for 15, 30 minutes at a time without any HG issues or cooling issues to know that there's no systemic problems with that block design. But building an SBC is a lot like building a 1911 in that all the parts must be the correct match for each other to get good results.
So I suspect your friend's Z28 engine combo was suffering from poor head gasket selection, poor block/head surface prep, re-using fatigued OE headbolts, poor water pump selection, too small/poor radiator configuration, insufficient airflow through the radiator (lack of a shroud, crappy fan selection, etc) a bad distributor/incorrectly set centrifugal/vacuum advance causing overly retarded ignition timing at low RPM (that will heat up an iron V8 FAST), or some combination of those problems.

Good info, thanks. It was certain speculation about the 7.0 liter.

I’ll probably leave the GS stock, as it’s my everyday. Or, maybe an exhaust and mild tune. Not interested in going super charged. I’ve got that covered on my ‘19 Z06.

Speaking of which, I can’t imagine needing to juice that any more. Even under perfect conditions, it’s tough putting all of it to the ground.

It’s been way too long to remember the specifics of the 400 build. I know this guy didn’t have the patience or discipline to properly break it in, and every second behind the wheel was at wide open throttle. Also, nothing in the car was was upgraded, so a better cooling system may have helped. Still, a similarly built 350 faired way better.

JRB
03-21-2020, 07:44 AM
Good info, thanks. It was certain speculation about the 7.0 liter.

I’ll probably leave the GS stock, as it’s my everyday. Or, maybe an exhaust and mild tune. Not interested in going super charged. I’ve got that covered on my ‘19 Z06.

Speaking of which, I can’t imagine needing to juice that any more. Even under perfect conditions, it’s tough putting all of it to the ground.

It’s been way too long to remember the specifics of the 400 build. I know this guy didn’t have the patience or discipline to properly break it in, and every second behind the wheel was at wide open throttle. Also, nothing in the car was was upgraded, so a better cooling system may have helped. Still, a similarly built 350 faired way better.

There's a lot of weirdness and myths and internet lore on the LS7's, that much is for sure.
Personally I have only observed the dreaded valve issue once out of probably 20 or 25 Z06's I've worked on in my life, and it was a 2007 model, which falls out of the common internet lore range of 2008-2011 cars being the worst affected. The fix was having the heads pulled and sorted out by Texas Speed where they got some nice new supporting parts and a nice CNC port job. That head work was about $1500 and ~10hrs labor if memory serves, we ended up installing longtube headers at the same time because it was really easy 'while we were in there'.

The rod issue is almost guaranteed to be a problem in the first 10k miles, so the majority of C6 Z06's out there have wildly exceeded this already or had the engine sorted out by warranty coverage. Beyond that it's just an awesome engine that loves to make power.

On your GS - catted 'green' long tube headers from Kooks, a good intake kit, and a tune is all you need. Honestly you'd need to go supercharged to get close to making the stock catback a meaningful restriction, and longtubes plus the stock catback make a great combo of snarly V8 noises without headache-inducing decibels or drone on the highway. Catted longtubes in particular are the best bet for this. After tuning you should see 40-60whp gain almost across the board with those changes, too.

You have a '19 Z06? That's a fantastic car! You're having traction problems, though, because those stock Goodyear all-seasons are more dangerous in dry weather with that stock ~550whp than proper R888R's or Pilot Sport Cups would be in the rain. My opinion, I am not a lawyer and all that, but I'm shocked so many OE's ship such powerful cars with such insufficient tires these days.

If there was ever a car that 100% transformed from just a set of proper tires, it's the C7 Z06. If you intend to use it as a summer fun car and not daily drive it or risk driving it in poor weather, I would strongly recommend a set of Pilot Sport Cups or R888R's. A good compromise though is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

I'm spitballing a bit because I can't remember which of those tires are available in C7 Z06 sizing off the top of my head, but the takeaway is that a proper summer-only street legal motorsport tire is a fantastic improvement across the board for that car.

My hat's off to you, though - a C6 GS daily and a C7 Z06 garage beast is an absolutely fantastic pair of Vettes to own. :)

Trigger
03-21-2020, 11:11 AM
My hat’s off to both JRB and Bucky. There is so much good car info in this thread. The signal-to-noise ratio is so much higher than the car forums.

But enough blowing sunshine. (So to speak)

Reference the earlier discussion on the C5 Vette being the best balanced/performing track car out there, it brings up an excellent point on this forum. What performance characteristics do you value most in a sports car? (Or pistol, or rifle, or whatever) I drove a C5 Z-06 Vette on the track for a session, but I’m by no means an authority. Awesome grip, great acceleration, heavy steering, heavy clutch, notchy shifting. Blisteringly quick. But the car’s limits were difficult to approach without overshooting, and spinning the car.

On the other hand, I’ve driven an e30 M3 (1988) on the track a few times, and it was amazing for different reasons. The easiest car to throttle steer I’ve ever driven. Back end brakes loose very progressively and well-behaved. Steering is telepathic. Engine note is wonderful. Vastly underpowered compared to the Vette. But so easy to gracefully dance around the track, the car makes you look smooth and skilled. On of the E30 M3s had a 1995 3 liter Euro motor and 6-speed transplant. Plus a Torsen diff and suspension upgrades. What a smooth and wonderful car to drive, but still slow compared to a Vette.

I’ve recently driven my wife’s new/used ‘17 Miata. What a hoot to drive! 2300 lbs. Underpowered, but still a great car with nice chassis balance and refined driving experience.

Which is best? Well it depends on what you value. Glock 19 or Sig 320? CZ P-07 or Shadow? Colt 6920 or DDm4v7? JP or GA Precision? BAT or Kelbly?

I guess I prefer the BMW handling traits over the Vette, but that does not mean I don’t look at the power of a C7 Z-06 without a certain amount of poorly-concealed lust. To each their own, celebrate diversity and all that. Or be like Jay Leno and own them both.

Bucky
03-21-2020, 06:49 PM
There's a lot of weirdness and myths and internet lore on the LS7's, that much is for sure.
Personally I have only observed the dreaded valve issue once out of probably 20 or 25 Z06's I've worked on in my life, and it was a 2007 model, which falls out of the common internet lore range of 2008-2011 cars being the worst affected. The fix was having the heads pulled and sorted out by Texas Speed where they got some nice new supporting parts and a nice CNC port job. That head work was about $1500 and ~10hrs labor if memory serves, we ended up installing longtube headers at the same time because it was really easy 'while we were in there'.

The rod issue is almost guaranteed to be a problem in the first 10k miles, so the majority of C6 Z06's out there have wildly exceeded this already or had the engine sorted out by warranty coverage. Beyond that it's just an awesome engine that loves to make power.

On your GS - catted 'green' long tube headers from Kooks, a good intake kit, and a tune is all you need. Honestly you'd need to go supercharged to get close to making the stock catback a meaningful restriction, and longtubes plus the stock catback make a great combo of snarly V8 noises without headache-inducing decibels or drone on the highway. Catted longtubes in particular are the best bet for this. After tuning you should see 40-60whp gain almost across the board with those changes, too.

You have a '19 Z06? That's a fantastic car! You're having traction problems, though, because those stock Goodyear all-seasons are more dangerous in dry weather with that stock ~550whp than proper R888R's or Pilot Sport Cups would be in the rain. My opinion, I am not a lawyer and all that, but I'm shocked so many OE's ship such powerful cars with such insufficient tires these days.

If there was ever a car that 100% transformed from just a set of proper tires, it's the C7 Z06. If you intend to use it as a summer fun car and not daily drive it or risk driving it in poor weather, I would strongly recommend a set of Pilot Sport Cups or R888R's. A good compromise though is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

I'm spitballing a bit because I can't remember which of those tires are available in C7 Z06 sizing off the top of my head, but the takeaway is that a proper summer-only street legal motorsport tire is a fantastic improvement across the board for that car.

My hat's off to you, though - a C6 GS daily and a C7 Z06 garage beast is an absolutely fantastic pair of Vettes to own. :)

Thank you for all the great info!!

The Z06 has Michelin Pilot super sports on it (what it came with). If the pavement is clean, they’re warmed up, and it’s over 80° out, they’re pretty good. Surprisingly, these are the tires used at the Ron Fellows school, even though their cars come with Pilot Sport Cup 2s (Z07 package). Their reason, I was told is, they’re worthless in rain. Most roads around here always seem to have grit of some sort.

I will definitely consider your suggestions, as it is only a good weather driver. Only 3K on the car / current tires, so I’ll have to get some track time to wear these out first. :p

The GS has Michelin Pilot A/S 3, and for everyday driving I’m loving these tires. Surprisingly good traction in rain and our gritty roads.

orionz06
03-21-2020, 07:19 PM
The GS has Michelin Pilot A/S 3, and for everyday driving I’m loving these tires. Surprisingly good traction in rain and our gritty roads.

Next car will be something in the 350+ HP realm and those will be the tires I use. I've got 250,000 miles on the Pilot Sport A/S # and won't use anything else if they fit.

BehindBlueI's
03-21-2020, 08:09 PM
I've been pretty satisfied with Firehawk Indy 500 tires on my Camaro SS/RS. They make a run flat as well, which was designed for the C6: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Wide+Oval+RFT

They are significantly less expensive then the Pilots, and while the Camaro is a heavier car, testing shows them running close enough that very few of us will ever notice the differences. Tire rack does testing on a wet/dry track. If you've not watched any of their videos I suggest you kill some time with them.

JRB
03-23-2020, 01:05 PM
My hat’s off to both JRB and Bucky. There is so much good car info in this thread. The signal-to-noise ratio is so much higher than the car forums.

But enough blowing sunshine. (So to speak)

Reference the earlier discussion on the C5 Vette being the best balanced/performing track car out there, it brings up an excellent point on this forum. What performance characteristics do you value most in a sports car? (Or pistol, or rifle, or whatever) I drove a C5 Z-06 Vette on the track for a session, but I’m by no means an authority. Awesome grip, great acceleration, heavy steering, heavy clutch, notchy shifting. Blisteringly quick. But the car’s limits were difficult to approach without overshooting, and spinning the car.

On the other hand, I’ve driven an e30 M3 (1988) on the track a few times, and it was amazing for different reasons. The easiest car to throttle steer I’ve ever driven. Back end brakes loose very progressively and well-behaved. Steering is telepathic. Engine note is wonderful. Vastly underpowered compared to the Vette. But so easy to gracefully dance around the track, the car makes you look smooth and skilled. On of the E30 M3s had a 1995 3 liter Euro motor and 6-speed transplant. Plus a Torsen diff and suspension upgrades. What a smooth and wonderful car to drive, but still slow compared to a Vette.

I’ve recently driven my wife’s new/used ‘17 Miata. What a hoot to drive! 2300 lbs. Underpowered, but still a great car with nice chassis balance and refined driving experience.

Which is best? Well it depends on what you value. Glock 19 or Sig 320? CZ P-07 or Shadow? Colt 6920 or DDm4v7? JP or GA Precision? BAT or Kelbly?

I guess I prefer the BMW handling traits over the Vette, but that does not mean I don’t look at the power of a C7 Z-06 without a certain amount of poorly-concealed lust. To each their own, celebrate diversity and all that. Or be like Jay Leno and own them both.

I've not had the pleasure of driving an E30 M3, but every account I've heard mirrors yours - it is a truly special car. My sister had a 318IS with Bilsteins and H&R springs once upon a time, and while profoundly underpowered it really inspired a ton of confidence. I felt like I could drive that car at 10/10ths every time I got behind the wheel and that brings a joy all its own.

I also had a track ride in a C5 Z06 with an honest-to-god pro driver. The Z06 had longtubes, a tune, track pads and brake fluid, and some Hoosiers on all four corners. To this day that five laps around my local road course is the only time I've ridden in a car and thought I was going to throw up from motion alone. Those laps averaged 3-4 seconds faster than the well-practiced owner could muster in that Z06, and the track is about a 1:30/lap for a fast car - finding 3-4 seconds on a 1:30 course is LIGHT YEARS in racing and it really made me appreciate just how much space separates the good amateurs from the lower-level pros.

Years ago, an acquaintance of mine with several exotics including a Ferrari Enzo summed up the C6 Z06 like this; 'The Z06 is the big greasy gourmet American cheeseburger of sports cars' and went on to describe that there are many fine foods and gourmet steaks and such that are 'better' than a cheeseburger, but sometimes you just need a greasy fuckin' cheeseburger and nothing else will do. That's how he justified his Z06 ownership to some of his snootier car collector buddies and he said they all nodded and understood. Hell, it makes perfect sense to me. A Z06 is incredibly satisfying, somehow complicated in its simplicity, and pretty cheap compared to a lot of its performance peers. What it lacks is refinement, and that lack of refinement gets worse as traction goes up and the road/track surface gets worse. At the limit with sticky tires the Z06 is a very unforgiving bastard and it takes some substantial changes in the rear suspension and creature comfort of the car to begin to address that. To put it simply, GM was too soft on the rear suspension in pursuit of creature comfort. Pfadt and a few other companies have figured out the formula to mostly fix this, but even those great leaps in handling and improved mechanical grip and predictability is just lipstick on a pig compared to, say, a Porsche GT3RS.

Ultimately a sports car is supposed to make us happy. That is it's only purpose in existence - to put a big grin on our faces, make us linger a little bit at the garage door to admire it before we shut off the light, and make our worries melt away when we go for a nice drive for the sake of driving.

Like guns, there's very much a hardware and software aspect to enjoying the full potential of a car - but shorter lap times are much less likely to save our lives like better and faster shooting just may.

Ultimately I think we all own a few guns just because we like them, and not because of any practical need of it. We could all do just fine with Glock 19's and 4Runners and need very little else. But there's a wonderful world full of HKs, Berettas, Sigs, 1911s, N-frames, etc. A world also filled with Z06's and 996's and M3's and MR2's and Supras and Challengers.
Sometimes we can make a wild car a daily, but it's impractical for all the same reasons carrying a Wilson 1911 is a little ridiculous for an EDC. But life is pretty boring if we all do the same thing, and repeat the same thing, and like the same things.
So, vive la différence!
Just don't be that chode that wrecks your GT500 leaving a cars & coffee meet, and don't be that chode that muzzles half the firing line with your SVI at an IDPA classifier.

I think there's a very real drive to get good 'software' amongst P-F folks and that carries over into our enjoyment of cars. Which in turn contributes to the good signal-to-noise ratio in our various car chatter vs other most dedicated car forums. :)

RJ
04-03-2020, 09:03 PM
Nice C8 review by John Davis of Motorweek.

0-60 in 2.9 for $59.9k list. Wow.

https://youtu.be/JVjKBAob1Gg

rob_s
04-04-2020, 06:46 AM
I can’t believe they are already talking about the 2021
https://www.slashgear.com/2021-corvette-changes-show-chevrolets-two-big-improvements-02615303/

Some key points of interest...

Magnetic Ride Control suspension Offered as a stand-alone in addition to being kart of a $5k package
wireless CarPlay support (May seem stupid, but IMO no 2021 car should be offered without it as at least an option, if for no other reason than marketing)
Chevrolet supposedly opting to make a launch splash with its sub-$60k sticker and then nudge things higher for the 2021 car.

Bucky
04-04-2020, 06:54 AM
Nice C8 review by John Davis of Motorweek.

0-60 in 2.9 for $59.9k list. Wow.

https://youtu.be/JVjKBAob1Gg

SO. WANT.

BTW, I was at that very track just over a month ago. :)

Doc_Glock
04-04-2020, 10:43 AM
There is a small part of me that wants to hate on it but that is just my critical nature. There is not much if anything here to hate. GM hit this car out of the park and it will only get better.

BTW I got a ride in a 2000ish C5 manual with 100k miles, a car I have never liked and dang, it was an eye opener from a driving experience. I have been overly dismissive of Vettes in my life. Wrongly.

orionz06
04-04-2020, 04:44 PM
There is a small part of me that wants to hate on it but that is just my critical nature. There is not much if anything here to hate. GM hit this car out of the park and it will only get better.

BTW I got a ride in a 2000ish C5 manual with 100k miles, a car I have never liked and dang, it was an eye opener from a driving experience. I have been overly dismissive of Vettes in my life. Wrongly.

Availability? Dropping much of the Corvette heritage? Lots to hate on if you choose to.

I'm mostly curious what the actual price to get one is as I've not seen any for sale at the $60,000 price.

Bucky
05-04-2020, 05:44 AM
Took a ride in the Z06 last night, and across from me was a slick looking red ‘Vette. Had to wait for it to drive past to confirm, but low and behold it was a C8! We both did the traditional nod and wave. This was my first sighting in the wild. :D

Doc_Glock
05-04-2020, 11:03 AM
Enjoyed this.

https://youtu.be/Zol-OKJvyB8

RJ
05-11-2020, 08:20 PM
No C8’s at September Lemans:

https://racer.com/2020/05/11/corvette-racing-withdraws-from-le-mans/?fbclid=IwAR3AxGf_zjVSbJZe41g1hPYj4Dn6ong2IZn4mMWS NXPlfFg-5po-Awm_FK8

Corvette Racing has withdrawn its new mid-engine C8.Rs from September’s 24 Hours of Le Mans. The decision follows a similar one from the Porsche GT Team, Corvette’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship GT Le Mans rivals, which confirmed its exit from the French endurance racing classic last week. RACER has also learned the ACO, organizers of the Le Mans event, were notified of the team’s change of plans weeks ago.

Both withdrawals come in reaction to the impact made by the coronavirus. With numerous furloughs and layoffs affecting the domestic and international auto industry, the calls to cut expensive international marketing campaigns like those involving trips to Le Mans fits the need to reduce expenditures

Bummer. I can understand; the savings of not going must be huge. Same for Porsche GT Pro team, they withdrew last week.

uechibear
03-16-2021, 01:36 PM
Enjoyed this.

I enjoyed your video, so I thought I'd revive this thread with a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ii_VqU3gXs

They didn't use Launch Control, so the 0-60 time was slow, but that DCT shifts so fast!

Bucky
03-18-2021, 12:52 PM
I enjoyed your video, so I thought I'd revive this thread with a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ii_VqU3gXs

They didn't use Launch Control, so the 0-60 time was slow, but that DCT shifts so fast!

I wish there was a track around here I could hit those speeds at. :p

uechibear
03-20-2021, 01:23 PM
I saw that Bucky posted a Ron Fellows car before, but this thread needs more photos!

RJ
03-20-2021, 01:47 PM
Dropped in to Sebring a couple weeks ago to check out the gift shop and pick up a T-shirt. Spied this C8 outside. It's still a cool car.

uechibear
03-20-2021, 02:13 PM
Dropped in to Sebring a couple weeks ago to check out the gift shop and pick up a T-shirt. Spied this C8 outside. It's still a cool car.

And the C8 happens to be "Sebring Orange Tintcoat", a $995 option.

uechibear
03-20-2021, 02:55 PM
I just found out the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring is happening now... until 10:30 tonight. Go Corvette!

uechibear
04-16-2021, 02:29 PM
Between last year and MY2021, they've made over 30k of these things, and the waiting list seems to be growing longer, but I still haven't seen one on the road. Their prevalence is probably location-dependent, though. I recently read that 16 owners got together for a drive in the San Diego area, and here's their photo:

The C8 in the foreground isn't white. It's called Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic.

WobblyPossum
04-16-2021, 03:04 PM
One of my coworkers has one and it’s pretty sweet. He said that when he first got it, people were offering him more than MSRP to buy it from him but he didn’t want to risk not being able to get a 2021 so he declined. I’ve seen a couple in the city besides his but they are definitely few and far between.

Bucky
04-16-2021, 03:54 PM
Yeah, it's incredible the supply vs. demand. Meanwhile, C7s are demanding a premium. I saw a few at the dealer, a couple years old and low mileage, basically for what they sold for new.

Hopefully the 2022 Z06s will make it to market before the "all electric" mandate.

rob_s
04-16-2021, 07:16 PM
Between last year and MY2021, they've made over 30k of these things, and the waiting list seems to be growing longer, but I still haven't seen one on the road. Their prevalence is probably location-dependent, though.

There’s a lot of rich showy people in SE FL. That may explain why I’ve seen several.

Most shameful was the one I saw parked at the sporting clays facility. Looked in the window to see the remains of at least two different McDonald’s extra value meals all over the console and passenger seat.

I object very little to the fact that it was McDonald’s. Object quite a bit to the disrespect shown such a cool car, but I guess it’s his money and he can wipe his ass with it if he wants. :(

Bucky
04-17-2021, 04:44 AM
Not sure I mentioned this, I actually could’ve bought one at Corvettes at Carlisle. Also, the prices were sticker, not inflated. There was a dealer that had a few, but being I bought the 2019 just about a year earlier, it wasn’t in the budget. And no, I really don’t wanna get rid of my 2019 either so there is that.

There is another thing, my logical side says for such a new design for them, wait a couple model years. That was pretty much the reason we bought the ‘19 and didn’t wait. Of course, we had no idea the C8 would be so damn cool!

Bergeron
04-17-2021, 12:13 PM
To my mind, the only thing that the C8 does not do like the traditional European mid-engine supercars is rev to really high numbers- but!- I trust the mechanical reliability of the LS engine far more, and I prefer NA to what I feel are, by comparison, overstressed forced induction engines in the competition.

I'm not in the market for a car like this, the roads around me aren't anywhere what they need to be to justify something like this, but make mine a shiny blue convertible.

uechibear
04-17-2021, 02:41 PM
... make mine a shiny blue convertible.

Elkhart Lake Blue or Rapid Blue?

I couldn't find a comparable Rapid Blue convertible photo, so I posted a coupe instead.

Bergeron
04-17-2021, 03:11 PM
While I'd certainly be very happy either way, the Elkhart Lake tugs at me just a bit more. Particularly with that tan interior.

uechibear
04-17-2021, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I agree... the tan interior (Chevy calls it "Natural") goes with both blues very well.

Bucky
04-18-2021, 05:28 AM
Elkhart Lake Blue or Rapid Blue?

I couldn't find a comparable Rapid Blue convertible photo, so I posted a coupe instead.

I was at a Corvette club show/hangout last night and these two color C8s were there.

Bucky
04-18-2021, 05:36 AM
To my mind, the only thing that the C8 does not do like the traditional European mid-engine supercars is rev to really high numbers- but!- I trust the mechanical reliability of the LS engine far more, and I prefer NA to what I feel are, by comparison, overstressed forced induction engines in the competition.

It’s strongly rumored the C8 Z06 will change that in 2022. Time will tell.

There is something to be said of the grunt and less stress of the LS and newer LT engines, especially they’re masterpiece the LT5.

mmc45414
04-18-2021, 06:21 AM
Or maybe...

Object quite a bit to the disrespect shown such a cool car, but I guess it’s his dad's money and he can wipe his ass with it if he wants. :(

Bergeron
04-18-2021, 06:59 AM
It’s strongly rumored the C8 Z06 will change that in 2022. Time will tell.

There is something to be said of the grunt and less stress of the LS and newer LT engines, especially they’re masterpiece the LT5.

With a Z06 and a ZR1 left to go, the outmost limits will be things to behold. I think the idea that Z06 will have forced induction and ZR1 will be gasoline-electric hybrid are probably the most likely.

While I respect the people who will go for the greater performance, the existing Stingray/Z51 are already offering so much.

rob_s
04-18-2021, 07:27 AM
not directly related, but I guess kind of since we're discussing the impact that the new model is having on previous model used market. The C7, I believe, went from 2014-2019? which I think makes it the shortest run ever for a Corvette?

If I look up a 2015 with less than 45k miles on it within 500 miles of me it looks like they are starting in the $46-48k range. is that higher than they would have been previously? I guess it's kind of hard to figure that out since there's a lot of relativity with the new model having been "out" for over a year now. I think the base price in 2014 was something like $52k? So presuming that these lowest-priced used models are pretty much "base", it looks like (at the moment) they definitely held their value with a $4-6k drop over 6 years?

I think what I'd ideally love to do is wait and buy a C7 when the C9 comes out. :cool:

although with it being the last front-engine (presumably) and the shortest run of any model, they'll probably be $100k by then. Maybe I need to buy one now.

"No honey, listen, it's an INVESTMENT! yeah, I know I'm driving it around, but it's like I'm getting paid to drive a Corvette!"

Borderland
04-18-2021, 10:52 AM
The C8 looks like something from a Star Wars movie. The last Corvette that caught my attention was a 67. Styling went downhill from there. I know they're better in almost everyway but look at some of the prices for the 60's era Corvettes. This one sold for 111K at auction.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1963-chevrolet-corvette-1

Honestly, if I were dropping 75K on sportscar it wouldn't be a C8.

Bucky
04-18-2021, 12:17 PM
With a Z06 and a ZR1 left to go, the outmost limits will be things to behold. I think the idea that Z06 will have forced induction and ZR1 will be gasoline-electric hybrid are probably the most likely.

While I respect the people who will go for the greater performance, the existing Stingray/Z51 are already offering so much.

The rumor mill, for what it’s worth, say the Z06 will be naturally aspirated. Supposedly a 5.5L flat plane. While it may be a few horse less than the C7 Z06, it’ll be able to more HP to the pavement. Traction is a real problem in the C7.

BehindBlueI's
04-18-2021, 12:31 PM
not directly related, but I guess kind of since we're discussing the impact that the new model is having on previous model used market. The C7, I believe, went from 2014-2019? which I think makes it the shortest run ever for a Corvette?

If I look up a 2015 with less than 45k miles on it within 500 miles of me it looks like they are starting in the $46-48k range. is that higher than they would have been previously? I guess it's kind of hard to figure that out since there's a lot of relativity with the new model having been "out" for over a year now. I think the base price in 2014 was something like $52k? So presuming that these lowest-priced used models are pretty much "base", it looks like (at the moment) they definitely held their value with a $4-6k drop over 6 years?

I think what I'd ideally love to do is wait and buy a C7 when the C9 comes out. :cool:

although with it being the last front-engine (presumably) and the shortest run of any model, they'll probably be $100k by then. Maybe I need to buy one now.

"No honey, listen, it's an INVESTMENT! yeah, I know I'm driving it around, but it's like I'm getting paid to drive a Corvette!"

The original thought was it would depress C7 prices, but COVID. All used cars are up. Corvette got a lot of press, lots of attention, then couldn't fulfill the demand. C8 blue balls sufferers then bought C7s. My guess is it's a bubble, but I've been wrong before.

Bergeron
04-18-2021, 12:58 PM
The rumor mill, for what it’s worth, say the Z06 will be naturally aspirated. Supposedly a 5.5L flat plane. While it may be a few horse less than the C7 Z06, it’ll be able to more HP to the pavement. Traction is a real problem in the C7.

With a flat plane crank and the mid-engine, it’ll ge real hard to tell those apart from Ferraris.

uechibear
04-19-2021, 06:32 AM
There’s a lot of rich showy people in SE FL. That may explain why I’ve seen several.

Your comment provides a reason to post another C8 photo.

I don't know how "rich" or "showy" he is, but over the weekend someone I'm familiar with (through the Internet) flew up to a NH dealership to pick up his new Corvette and is currently driving it home. His location is listed as Southeast FL, so this car with be coming into your area soon:

uechibear
04-24-2021, 06:05 AM
They announced the new MY2022 colors at the National Corvette Museum Bash that ends today. These colors are replacements for three "similar" discontinued colors... Amplify Orange instead of Sebring Orange, etc.

Actual body panels:

I like some of the existing C8 colors better, but opinions vary greatly, and it's difficult to judge by photos alone.

Balisong
04-24-2021, 11:21 AM
I just saw one of these new corvettes in person for the 1st time yesterday. I didn't know it was possible, but it looked even better in person than it does in pics. Do want much.

Bergeron
04-24-2021, 12:14 PM
There’s an orange one down the road in Patterson, and
I’ve seen a white one rolling around town.

While I’m still sticking with the blue as my favorite, the Caffeine looks really nice.

BehindBlueI's
04-24-2021, 03:26 PM
I saw 9 on a car hauler. They were completely wrapped in white plastic sheeting for protection while in transport. Not many Chevys get that treatment. :D

uechibear
04-24-2021, 05:41 PM
I saw 9 on a car hauler. They were completely wrapped in white plastic sheeting for protection while in transport. Not many Chevys get that treatment. :D

I saw a YouTube where a transport driver explained that there's a specific way they put the Corvettes on the truck—facing forwards or backwards, depending upon airflow in each loading position. They also use Styrofoam blocks (or similar material) between the car and the white covers to keep them from flapping in the wind and scuffing up the paint.

And protective material is put on the side vents at the factory so that when the transport drivers get into and out of each C8 while loading/unloading, they don't accidentally smash the black vent trim that sticks out on the steel frame of the hauler.

Precious cargo must be protected!

uechibear
05-19-2021, 03:39 PM
I've had a great day, so I'll celebrate with a photo of this "murdered out" C8:

No, I did not buy this car!

mmc45414
05-19-2021, 08:38 PM
Precious cargo must be protected!
Last two days were spent going to Nashville from Ohio and back (first customer facing meeting in 15mo!) so we went right past the factory and saw a lotta the precious cargo on both legs of the trip.

uechibear
05-20-2021, 10:07 AM
Last two days were spent going to Nashville from Ohio and back (first customer facing meeting in 15mo!) so we went right past the factory and saw a lotta the precious cargo on both legs of the trip.

Something like this? Last week at BGA:

uechibear
05-23-2021, 08:26 AM
Due to parts shortages, the assembly plant will not be operating next week. This is the 2nd such shutdown in May and the 5th week of planned shutdowns so far this model year. That's the bad news.

The good news is that if you put down a deposit, wait 9-21 months (depending on dealership), and then pay them $65k-$95k when the car comes in, you'd finally be able to sit in a C8 Corvette for the first time... in the car you just bought for the privilege!

This car would be in the top end of that price range (convertible, Z51 Performance Package, black roof/nacelles, red brake calipers, upgraded wheels, and very likely some other good performance options like Front Lift and Magnetic Ride Control):

Bio
05-23-2021, 08:58 AM
I've had a great day, so I'll celebrate with a photo of this "murdered out" C8:

No, I did not buy this car!

In general, I actually like the look of the c7 over the city. That c8 looks extraordinary in black, though.

Wise_A
05-23-2021, 03:31 PM
The good news is that if you put down a deposit, wait 9-21 months (depending on dealership), and then pay them $65k-$95k when the car comes in, you'd finally be able to sit in a C8 Corvette for the first time... in the car you just bought for the privilege!

To put it in perspective, I'm optioning out a Ford F150 Powerboost Lariat. It's a ton of money, and it's my first new car. As a sanity check, I went around and looked at what I could get for the same price. I saw a used Aston Martin V8 Vanquish (not gonna lie, it was tempting). I found I couldn't get a Porsche. I spec'd out a Range Rover that was a stunning display of minimalism...because I couldn't afford any options. More interesting was the Mercedes Benz AMG CLA C35 4Matic, and the BMW M340i xDrive--stunning, and fast.

And then I said, "I wonder if I can get a Corvette." It turns out I could. For the same price as a very nice, very comfortable AWD pickup, I could have a V8-powered, mid-engine sports car, brand-new. For not much more than a Supra, I could have that. With skyrocketing prices across the board, in every segment, the C8 Corvette is a magnificent value proposition.

rob_s
05-24-2021, 05:20 AM
To put it in perspective, I'm optioning out a Ford F150 Powerboost Lariat. It's a ton of money, and it's my first new car. As a sanity check, I went around and looked at what I could get for the same price. I saw a used Aston Martin V8 Vanquish (not gonna lie, it was tempting). I found I couldn't get a Porsche. I spec'd out a Range Rover that was a stunning display of minimalism...because I couldn't afford any options. More interesting was the Mercedes Benz AMG CLA C35 4Matic, and the BMW M340i xDrive--stunning, and fast.

And then I said, "I wonder if I can get a Corvette." It turns out I could. For the same price as a very nice, very comfortable AWD pickup, I could have a V8-powered, mid-engine sports car, brand-new. For not much more than a Supra, I could have that. With skyrocketing prices across the board, in every segment, the C8 Corvette is a magnificent value proposition.

Said another way.....

Trucks are stoopidfuckinexpensive now. :mad:

Bergeron
05-24-2021, 07:09 AM
I had a 2007 single cab Ram with V-8 and crank windows, cloth bench seat, without power door locks.

Basically every truck today is a 4 door, with I'm assuming an upgraded (from base) engine with power everything and infotainment. After that, figure it's an easy sell to get 4WD and leather, head and cooled bucket seats. If that's what gets specced, then it becomes a luxury vehicle (in terms of comfort) with additional towing and off-roading capabilities. That's gonna cost, and it seems like every truck I sit it is that sort of equipped, to say nothing of the ones with lifts and suspension upgrades.

On one hand, the prices are staggering, on the other hand, it feels like we've done this to ourselves. Ford stopped selling cars but for the Mustang, there's so much money to be made in trucks.

mmc45414
05-24-2021, 08:13 AM
The thing about trucks, as opposed to SUVs, is you get to choose. You can still get one with rubber flooring. Base price of an F-150 is about $28k, and the NA V6 has almost 300hp. I do not think AC is even optional anymore.

But it is wild, pretty sure you could spend $28k-$78k on "an F-150".

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wise_A
05-24-2021, 10:54 AM
Oh no, I understand I have made my Lariat an abomination unto the Lord. 12" infotainment, LED lights, heated and ventilated leather seats. Zero tow or payload packages. Aside from the fold-flat seats and the hideously-ugly King Ranch and Limited interiors, there's really not anything that you can get on an F150 that my little dream truck doesn't have. I'm just the worst kind of truck buyer.

But look at just sports cars. The 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 Supra is just as impractical, and goes for $56k. A new 370Z starts at over $40k. Most of the American V8s I looked at were running at least $40k to get something that felt worthwhile. And those sorta-practical-but-not-really German cars I mentioned cost exactly the same as the 'Vette. $65k for a mid-rear V8 is a steal.

mmc45414
05-24-2021, 03:15 PM
Oh no, I understand I have made my Lariat an abomination unto the Lord.
I actually LOLed. Me and you might not want the same thing, but we can hang out...

But look at just sports cars. The 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 Supra is just as impractical, and goes for $56k. A new 370Z starts at over $40k. Most of the American V8s I looked at were running at least $40k to get something that felt worthwhile. And those sorta-practical-but-not-really German cars I mentioned cost exactly the same as the 'Vette. $65k for a mid-rear V8 is a steal.
Everything is crazy when you look at how much, and crazy when you look at the capabilities. But if the budget is $65k, I am happy I have my decent F-150 ($40k) and my modest Focus ST ($25k), plus now I have an inexpensive car with 114k on it instead of having a truck with 203k on it. And that Vette is gorgeous.

Bio
05-25-2021, 06:06 AM
Oh no, I understand I have made my Lariat an abomination unto the Lord. 12" infotainment, LED lights, heated and ventilated leather seats. Zero tow or payload packages. Aside from the fold-flat seats and the hideously-ugly King Ranch and Limited interiors, there's really not anything that you can get on an F150 that my little dream truck doesn't have. I'm just the worst kind of truck buyer.

I read a comment, I don't remember where, that certain trims of trucks were the new full size luxury sedans in America. Big, expensive, powerful, comfortable.

Bucky
05-25-2021, 06:29 AM
Looks like we need a truck thread. ;)

Re: Corvette.

Love the purr of a flat plane.

https://youtu.be/y3zPNB6q8t4

uechibear
05-25-2021, 06:32 AM
...And then I said, "I wonder if I can get a Corvette." It turns out I could. For the same price as a very nice, very comfortable AWD pickup, I could have a V8-powered, mid-engine sports car, brand-new. For not much more than a Supra, I could have that. With skyrocketing prices across the board, in every segment, the C8 Corvette is a magnificent value proposition.

... the 'Vette. $65k for a mid-rear V8 is a steal.

A C8 Corvette has similar mid-engine styling and "0-60 in less than 3 seconds" performance as a $300,000 European supercar... all for one-fourth the price!

There are thousands of buyers on lists at dealerships around the country who have put down a deposit and are willing to wait a year or more for a C8. Many of them will end up getting a 2022, and they'll be paying whatever price increase GM decides is appropriate for the new model year. With costs going up, supplies being constrained, and the demand being as strong as it is, the price increase could be substantial.

I find it hard to believe GM can produce such a great car in this price range to begin with, so I certainly agree with you, Wise_A, and I'd say your posts are worthy of your screen name! Many people don't like to buy a new platform the first year or two of production, but in the case of the C8 Corvette, that could have been the wise move.

rob_s
05-25-2021, 10:20 AM
Looks like we need a truck thread. ;)

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23563-Trucks

rob_s
06-08-2021, 04:37 AM
GM cancels remaining 2021 Chevy Corvette production this month, report says

https://apple.news/AgePNeZJWRN6qoZI2vUjfKA

uechibear
06-09-2021, 01:27 PM
GM cancels remaining 2021 Chevy Corvette production this month, report says

https://apple.news/AgePNeZJWRN6qoZI2vUjfKA

Yup, anyone who was waiting for a June allocation is out of luck, but they can still place an order for a 2022 and pay whatever price increase(s) GM decides on.

The good news is that after four shutdowns this model year due to parts shortages--spanning a total of six full weeks--the assembly plant is back up and running to finish building the 2021 orders that were already accepted by the factory.

Bucky
08-19-2021, 01:36 PM
Every time my C6 acts up, I look at what C8s are going for. It’s sickening to see the MSRP price, with the sale price being $20K above MSRP. :mad:

Bergeron
08-19-2021, 05:09 PM
The market is unavoidable. A $20k mark-up is nuts to consider, but there's no avoiding response to value.

uechibear
08-22-2021, 08:01 AM
Every time my C6 acts up, I look at what C8s are going for. It’s sickening to see the MSRP price, with the sale price being $20K above MSRP. :mad:

You can get them for MSRP -- which is actually very reasonable for what you get in a C8 -- and that price will be guaranteed if you go to the right dealership(s). You just need to wait several months for your factory allocation to come up so you can place your final order. In the meantime, they hold a $2000 refundable deposit to keep your place in line.

If you don't want to wait, and instead you find one you can buy and drive away immediately, that's when you'll pay tens of thousands of dollars over MSRP.

I still agree with this quote from further up (last page):

TGS
08-22-2021, 10:02 AM
uechibear

I'm honestly surprised that a dealer would use one of their limited factory allocation spots to sell a car under market value. That's interesting to hear.

Navin Johnson
08-22-2021, 10:15 AM
Depends on dealer and manufacture. Usually orders don't affect allocation.

Manufactures are checking to see if orders are actually going to the name on the order.... as dealers will use employee or friends names to get more cars.

uechibear
08-22-2021, 10:24 AM
uechibear

I'm honestly surprised that a dealer would use one of their limited factory allocation spots to sell a car under market value. That's interesting to hear.

The best dealers sell in volume, and they're able to do that because people know they'll get the car for MSRP (they have a reputation to uphold). People from all over the country order from just a few Chevy dealers for that reason, and they may sell 800+ Corvettes in a year.

Other dealerships gouge people, so they aren't able to sell nearly as many, and as a result, GM doesn't allocate them many Corvettes. Nobody wants to be promised MSRP, wait a year or more for the car to come in, and then be told by the dealer that it will actually cost them $10k - $40k more than they were originally told!

Bucky
08-22-2021, 04:09 PM
You can get them for MSRP -- which is actually very reasonable for what you get in a C8 -- and that price will be guaranteed if you go to the right dealership(s). You just need to wait several months for your factory allocation to come up so you can place your final order. In the meantime, they hold a $2000 refundable deposit to keep your place in line.

If you don't want to wait, and instead you find one you can buy and drive away immediately, that's when you'll pay tens of thousands of dollars over MSRP.

I still agree with this quote from further up (last page):

I know someone that got in on the 2020 “list”, and have been told they’ll be getting a 2022. My local dealership has a list of over 50 last I checked and they’re likely only going to be able to get 1/2 that. Maybe it’s different in other parts of the country.

uechibear
08-22-2021, 04:47 PM
I know someone that got in on the 2020 “list”, and have been told they’ll be getting a 2022. My local dealership has a list of over 50 last I checked and they’re likely only going to be able to get 1/2 that. Maybe it’s different in other parts of the country.

That's a common problem, but as I posted, it's a matter of which dealership you're dealing with.

If you're not lucky enough to have one of the high-volume/guaranteed-MSRP dealerships near you, then it takes a bit of research to find one.

Buying at one of the best dealerships gets you your C8 much quicker and is not painful. You just have to be willing to do basically one of three things... 1.) fly to the dealer to take delivery and then drive your Corvette home; 2.) take delivery at the National Corvette Museum in KY (near the assembly plant) and then drive it home; 3.) arrange for a "courtesy delivery" at your local dealer and pay a small fee to them (each dealership's fee is different, and that's set up through the dealer you're buying from).

Or I guess some people arrange other types of transportation from the dealer to their home by a car delivery service (so 4 options that I know of if you buy "remotely"). In all cases, the paperwork and payment for the Corvette can be done remotely too.

I learned about all this from an online Corvette forum, but living in NH, I got lucky. The 2nd largest Corvette dealer in the world (and the best, as far as I'm concerned) is right here in the "Live Free Or Die" state... something I would not have expected!

HeavyDuty
08-22-2021, 06:17 PM
That's a common problem, but as I posted, it's a matter of which dealership you're dealing with.

If you're not lucky enough to have one of the high-volume/guaranteed-MSRP dealerships near you, then it takes a bit of research to find one.

Buying at one of the best dealerships gets you your C8 much quicker and is not painful. You just have to be willing to do basically one of three things... 1.) fly to the dealer to take delivery and then drive your Corvette home; 2.) take delivery at the National Corvette Museum in KY (near the assembly plant) and then drive it home; 3.) arrange for a "courtesy delivery" at your local dealer and pay a small fee to them (each dealership's fee is different, and that's set up through the dealer you're buying from).

Or I guess some people arrange other types of transportation from the dealer to their home by a car delivery service (so 4 options that I know of if you buy "remotely"). In all cases, the paperwork and payment for the Corvette can be done remotely too.

I learned about all this from an online Corvette forum, but living in NH, I got lucky. The 2nd largest Corvette dealer in the world (and the best, as far as I'm concerned) is right here in the "Live Free Or Die" state... something I would not have expected!

I really want to look at at Corvette, I could make it happen financially if I wanted to. Can I ask which dealer? I’m in NH.

uechibear
08-22-2021, 06:52 PM
I really want to look at at Corvette, I could make it happen financially if I wanted to. Can I ask which dealer? I’m in NH.

Sure.

There are about 5 Chevy dealerships in NH, but MacMulkin in Nashua, NH is the king. They sell (and deliver) 800-1000 Corvettes each year compared to maybe 5 at the other dealers.

They have an additional benefit of an Order Tracking page, and I found it very helpful: https://www.macmulkincorvette.com/corvette-order-tracking/

Once you understand that page, it will help you gauge how many cars may be at the dealership on any given day; however, you should call to verify what they have on the showroom floor before driving a long distance (not sure of your exact location). Corvettes move in and out quickly! In the last 11 months, I've seen as many as 30 there on some days and and few as 0 (for instance, if there had been a factory shutdown).

They won't let you sit in one because they are all "Sold Orders" but that's appreciated because who wants random people sitting in their car?

Feel free to PM me if you'd like some help with any of the selection or buying process.

HeavyDuty
08-22-2021, 07:15 PM
Sure.

There are about 5 Chevy dealerships in NH, but MacMulkin in Nashua, NH is the king. They sell (and deliver) 800-1000 Corvettes each year compared to maybe 5 at the other dealers.

They have an additional benefit of an Order Tracking page, and I found it very helpful: https://www.macmulkincorvette.com/corvette-order-tracking/

Once you understand that page, it will help you gauge how many cars may be at the dealership on any given day; however, you should call to verify what they have on the showroom floor before driving a long distance (not sure of your exact location). Corvettes move in and out quickly! In the last 11 months, I've seen as many as 30 there on some days and and few as 0 (for instance, if there had been a factory shutdown).

They won't let you sit in one because they are all "Sold Orders" but that's appreciated because who wants random people sitting in their car?

Feel free to PM me if you'd like some help with any of the selection or buying process.
Thank you! I’ll PM.

uechibear
08-22-2021, 07:50 PM
Thank you! I’ll PM.

Replied.

Since this page doesn't have a photo yet, this is a reminder of what we're talking about.

It's worth the extra effort to get one!

Bucky
08-23-2021, 05:28 AM

Good info, thanks. For the short term, I’ll practice a little more patience. The ‘19 Z06 still has its new car smell, so I shouldn’t be this anxious to get one. (If only I had such restraint on some gun purchases. Yes, I paid $500 for an APX when it was the new thing.)

RJ
08-23-2021, 06:40 AM
Just wanted to congratulate the Corvette Racing team's #63 C8.R and and drivers Antonio Garcia, Jordan Taylor and Nicky Catsburg for a very strong P2 in LM GTE Pro at Lemans this past weekend. Good job!

https://speedwaymedia.com/2021/08/22/corvette-racing-at-le-mans-runner-up-in-c8-r-le-mans-debut/

rob_s
08-23-2021, 06:54 AM
OK so it's possible to get a new Corvette for MSRP if you find the right dealer and are willing to wait?

Taking the starting price of $60-70k, is there anything else on the market right now that competes? Porshce Cayman (https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/718/718-models/718-cayman-s/)?

RJ
08-23-2021, 07:03 AM
OK so it's possible to get a new Corvette for MSRP if you find the right dealer and are willing to wait?

Taking the starting price of $60-70k, is there anything else on the market right now that competes? Porshce Cayman (https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/718/718-models/718-cayman-s/)?

I previously owned a 981S (earlier generation Porsche Cayman) and would not cross shop a C8 vs. a new Cayman. If I was in the Corvette market, looking for a C8, I also don't think I'd be looking at a Cayman for comparison. A 718 is a smaller, turbo flat four, lighter weight sports car which is more focused on handling/curves than straight out HP. By all accounts, the C8 can do both.

The Corvette (to me) occupies a pretty small niche (in fact I'm not sure there's another like it) of uniquely styled, American made, mid-engine, V8 powered, affordable (ok well, under 100K) price point. I would imagine Corvette buyers are comparing it with other "specialty" models from Ford (Mustang) or Dodge (Hellcat), but I'm not very familiar with the latest high-performance offerings from domestic manufacturers.

Bergeron
08-23-2021, 07:18 AM
The traditional rivalry has been 'Vette vs. 911, but the current 911 prices are eye-watering.

The most unique aspect of the C8, as earlier mentioned, is the combination of pushrod V-8 with mid-engine layout, at a price substantially lower than the competition. The Euro mid-engined exotics are all high-revving cars, while the current C8 is not. The Z06 sure sounds like it will be high-revving, but guaranteed to cost quite a bit more.

The mid-engine design is exciting, and for the price/quality of the C8 value proposition, I could 100% live without a high-revving car. Maybe the closest competitor would be a V-8 Audi R8, but I'm not up to date on the various engine (V-10s are out there) options or the pricing. McLarens might be the best looking and maybe even the best performing, but reliability is abysmal and the depreciation on a new one is as frightening as the maintenance on a used one. Ferraris and Lambos are even better looking, and even better performing, but for how much more they cost (!!!!), they better be.

Camaros and Mustangs, depending on trim/engine/transmission are outstanding performers, and closer in price to the C8, but are not mid-engined.

The C8 is in a really unique place, and it seems like a place that the market really desires. In certain ways, it seems like what the old NSX accomplished.

Le Français
08-23-2021, 07:23 AM
Well damn...thanks to uechibear (seriously, thanks for the insight into the process) now I’m thinking about a C8.

Then again, I suspect the lack of a third pedal and being overpowered for pushing it safely on back roads means it wouldn’t be optimal as a fun car for me. Heck of a buy for those for whom it’s a good fit!

uechibear
08-23-2021, 07:33 AM
Glad I can be helpful, Le Français

I agree with most of the previous two posts. I don't think there's really anything to compare a C8 to in the current marketplace for HP, handling, styling, and price.

I'll also say that in the 11 months since I started shopping for a C8, I've seen only three of them on the road, and two of those were when I went to PA. Even in NH -- with the 2nd largest Corvette dealership in the world -- they are still quite rare, and because most people have never seen one, they definitely get attention from the public wherever you go.

If you want to fly under the radar, this is NOT the car for you!

RJ
08-23-2021, 08:10 AM
Found this on Rennlist (Porsche forum I'm on) of all places; there's a lively thread (3,000+ comments) there on the new C8.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/l-unuEQt80I

RJ
08-23-2021, 08:23 AM
...and by the way, just to illustrate what the average online rennlister (Porsche enthusiast) thinks of the C8, the poll results are strongly in favor:

Personally, I really like it as a high-performance affordable sports car.

HeavyDuty
08-23-2021, 08:43 AM
Glad I can be helpful, Le Français

I agree with most of the previous two posts. I don't think there's really anything to compare a C8 to in the current marketplace for HP, handling, styling, and price.

I'll also say that in the 11 months since I started shopping for a C8, I've seen only three of them on the road, and two of those were when I went to PA. Even in NH -- with the 2nd largest Corvette dealership in the world -- they are still quite rare, and because most people have never seen one, they definitely get attention from the public wherever you go.

If you want to fly under the radar, this is NOT the car for you!

Last weekend I saw a blue one like in your picture out near Exeter. In fact, several of my sightings have been that blue. I’ve only seen one in traditional red.

Navin Johnson
08-23-2021, 09:01 AM
The best dealers sell in volume, and they're able to do that because people know they'll get the car for MSRP (they have a reputation to uphold). People from all over the country order from just a few Chevy dealers for that reason, and they may sell 800+ Corvettes in a year.

Other dealerships gouge people, so they aren't able to sell nearly as many, and as a result, GM doesn't allocate them many Corvettes. Nobody wants to be promised MSRP, wait a year or more for the car to come in, and then be told by the dealer that it will actually cost them $10k - $40k more than they were originally told!

GM et al. does not base allocation on what dealers charge for cars. The manufacture really has no idea what the car sells for. When a manufacture delivers a car to a dealer for their records the car is sold and that is all they give a shit about.

GM as an example rams cars down dealers throats (in normal times) to keep their numbers up. Generally manufacture allocations are based on units sold. If a dealer wants 10 Corvettes they likely must take an ass load of shit that is difficult to sell. If I was a GM dealer and could choose inventory for my area it would be Burbs Tahoes Silverados Colorados and Vettes. And GM won't do that.

So if a dealer is selling 800 Corvettes in a year they must be selling about 20-25k new autos a year. (hint: most big Chev dealers are selling 2-3k autos a year. Most in my area sell well under 1000 new a year)

uechibear
08-23-2021, 09:57 AM
GM et al. does not base allocation on what dealers charge for cars. The manufacture really has no idea what the car sells for. When a manufacture delivers a car to a dealer for their records the car is sold and that is all they give a shit about.

GM as an example rams cars down dealers throats (in normal times) to keep their numbers up. Generally manufacture allocations are based on units sold. If a dealer wants 10 Corvettes they likely must take an ass load of shit that is difficult to sell. If I was a GM dealer and could choose inventory for my area it would be Burbs Tahoes Silverados Colorados and Vettes. And GM won't do that.

So if a dealer is selling 800 Corvettes in a year they must be selling about 20-25k new autos a year. (hint: most big Chev dealers are selling 2-3k autos a year. Most in my area sell well under 1000 new a year)

That basically fits with my understanding of how it works.

I do know from personal experience they sell 800 Corvettes in a year (when I placed my deposit, I was #614 on the list, and just over 9 months later, I took delivery -- with there being hundreds of people on the list that either received their 2021 C8 before I placed my deposit or after I got my car); however, I have no idea how many other cars and trucks they sell.

I've also seen data on Corvette forums of how many Corvettes certain dealerships have historically sold, and the top two were 800+ in a year up to about 1200 for the #1 dealer, if I remember correctly. The last two years have been less than usual due to a UAW strike a couple of years ago near the beginning of C8 production, and there have been numerous weeks of assembly plant closings due to parts shortages because of Covid-19 and other things.

If not for those plant closings, I would've had my C8 five or six weeks earlier, and YES, it was hell waiting (especially during nice weather), but at least I only waited 9 months and a week. I've read of some people who have waited almost two years for their dealership to get their allocation, and the people in Australia are waiting about three years for a C8!

I have read that the bigger volume Corvette dealerships continue to take Corvettes from the factory even when they're harder to sell -- like when the C7 generation was winding down in anticipation of the C8 becoming available -- and that GM rewards them for that with continuing large numbers of allocations... as you wrote, "Generally manufacture allocations are based on units sold" and they do sell a lot of cars (Corvettes, anyway)!

Navin Johnson
08-23-2021, 10:47 AM
That basically fits with my understanding of how it works.

I do know from personal experience they sell 800 Corvettes in a year (when I placed my deposit, I was #614 on the list, and just over 9 months later, I took delivery -- with there being hundreds of people on the list that either received their 2021 C8 before I placed my deposit or after I got my car); however, I have no idea how many other cars and trucks they sell.

I've also seen data on Corvette forums of how many Corvettes certain dealerships have historically sold, and the top two were 800+ in a year up to about 1200 for the #1 dealer, if I remember correctly. The last two years have been less than usual due to a UAW strike a couple of years ago near the beginning of C8 production, and there have been numerous weeks of assembly plant closings due to parts shortages because of Covid-19 and other things.

If not for those plant closings, I would've had my C8 five or six weeks earlier, and YES, it was hell waiting (especially during nice weather), but at least I only waited 9 months and a week. I've read of some people who have waited almost two years for their dealership to get their allocation, and the people in Australia are waiting about three years for a C8!

I have read that the bigger volume Corvette dealerships continue to take Corvettes from the factory even when they're harder to sell -- like when the C7 generation was winding down in anticipation of the C8 becoming available -- and that GM rewards them for that with continuing large numbers of allocations... as you wrote, "Generally manufacture allocations are based on units sold" and they do sell a lot of cars (Corvettes, anyway)!

Orders and allocation are two different things. Dealers can order as many as they want as long as they have a name on it.

TGS
08-23-2021, 01:19 PM

As an owner of a current generation 718 Cayman, the Cayman does not compete on paper with the C8.

Buy the Cayman if you've always wanted a Lotus Elise but needed the Elise to be more daily-life/street friendly.

Buy the C8 if you wanted a C7 but realized it's just way too much power for a front-engine/RWD car to use efficiently. Per dollar spent, it will crush a Cayman on the track as well.

My 2 cents.

Doc_Glock
08-23-2021, 01:28 PM
Buy the Cayman if you've always wanted a Lotus Elise but needed the Elise to be more daily-life/street friendly.

I 100% identify with this demographic. Thank you!

Bucky
08-23-2021, 03:16 PM
Well damn...thanks to uechibear (seriously, thanks for the insight into the process) now I’m thinking about a C8.

Then again, I suspect the lack of a third pedal and being overpowered for pushing it safely on back roads means it wouldn’t be optimal as a fun car for me. Heck of a buy for those for whom it’s a good fit!

If you like that third pedal, a C7 Grand Sport is a heck of a good handling car for a “front engine” car, without having the overpowered LT4 engine that the Z06 has. Also has cool features like rev matching and foot to floor shifting. Unfortunately at the moment, C7 prices are in a high side these days.

rob_s
08-23-2021, 03:34 PM

I see maybe one a week, and I don't think they're the same ones.

But SE Florida has a unique crossroads of money and bravado...

RJ
11-15-2021, 07:16 AM
Bucky

I was at the Revs Institute in Naples FL this past weekend and saw a 1963 Chevrolet Grand Sport, one only 5 ever made. At 1,000 lbs less than the production Stingray, these were designed to compete with Carroll Sheby's Cobras. The program was killed by upper level GM management, but this one managed to be saved. Very cool 'vette:

OlongJohnson
11-15-2021, 08:38 AM
I remember a line about that front end... The takeoff speed was approximately 140 mph.

Or something like that.

Daytona coupes were significantly better.

BehindBlueI's
12-17-2021, 05:53 PM
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1133255_2023-chevrolet-corvette-e-ray-spy-shots-video

It isn't clear what powertrain the hybrid Corvette will run but rumors point to a single motor powering the front axle and the Stingray's 6.2-liter V-8 powering the rear axle. Peak output is expected to fall between 600 and 650 hp, and we could even see plug-in capability, which would mean a small electric range will be possible.

https://i.imgur.com/6gRCnAr.gif

uechibear
12-19-2021, 04:08 PM
This video by Autoblog is old, but I hadn't seen it before, and even though I don't agree with everything in it (there are a few inaccuracies, IMO), I did learn something new from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fWn8XhMKbA

JRB
12-20-2021, 12:53 PM
An old car buddy of mine got a C8 Corvette.

He likes it so much he's selling his Whipple Supercharged built C6 Vette, his AAR 340 Cuda, and his ZR1 DOHC LT5 twin turbo '69 Camaro project.
Same dude used to street drive a 25.2 caged Foxbody Mustang with a Nitrous-huffing 400-something inch SBC and a Powerglide with a transbrake that was good for mid 9's at ~145mph with our shitty track prep and ~7000-8000ft DA.
Yes, eye-watering rich idle from dual quads drinking C16 race gas because it was 13:1 compression or something nuts like that. Absolutely majestic car. It was bright yellow and everyone called it 'the banana'.

So when a guy like that is selling all of his other fast cars to just enjoy the C8, that is some seriously strong praise.

BehindBlueI's
12-24-2021, 02:43 PM
This was in my email from the Chevy marketing dweebs who I sold my soul to for a pair of cheap sunglasses:

Every drive is a victory lap in the All-New 2023 Corvette Z06. This vehicle is engineered to impress, from the striking exterior to the hand-built engine with an all-new flat plane architecture that gives it a signature growl. Every drive is a thrill ride — and it'll get your heart pumping when you go from 0 to 60 in just 2.6 seconds.

2.6 seconds? I get that's ideal conditions, prepped track, yadda yadda...but 2.6 seconds? I'm not sure I trust me with that.

peterb
12-24-2021, 02:58 PM
2.6 seconds? I get that's ideal conditions, prepped track, yadda yadda...but 2.6 seconds? I'm not sure I trust me with that.

The newest Tesla will run 2.1 seconds. Handling is less impressive.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a38423992/2021-tesla-model-s-plaid-by-the-numbers/

mmc45414
12-24-2021, 04:18 PM
And with a final drive of 5.56 I think it will already be in third gear. Early on one of things credited for the C8 doing low 0-60 times is that the dual clutch transmission can shift so quickly they could lower first gear for a strong launch without worrying about extra shifts slowing it down.

Borderland
12-24-2021, 06:51 PM

Yep. C5 would be the only one made in the last 25 years that I would buy. You can have the horse power, 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, rear engines, auto transmissions and everything else, and I'll still take a C5. I'm not even a Corvette lover but that one had the look. Corvette has been trying to look like a Ferrari for awhile now. I have to look twice to tell the difference.

BehindBlueI's
12-24-2021, 09:06 PM
The newest Tesla will run 2.1 seconds. Handling is less impressive.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a38423992/2021-tesla-model-s-plaid-by-the-numbers/

I'm betting the Corvette, even in Z06 trim, will be significantly less money as well. Rumor/guess mill is about $90k. I doubt they are cross-shopped much.

rob_s
12-27-2021, 08:06 AM
I'm betting the Corvette, even in Z06 trim, will be significantly less money as well. Rumor/guess mill is about $90k. I doubt they are cross-shopped much.

This is something I think about a bit.

I keep thinking of myself, and my willingness to even entertain a hybrid or full-electric truck. Until the hybrid F150 came out I’d have never considered a hybrid truck. Make it go faster than the all-gas version AND give it a cool generator option, and I want one.

Same thing for the Rivian. Once I was open to a hybrid truck, the possibility of all-electric became less objectionable, and then it’s faster AND has a bunch of other cool features I like, and suddenly I want one.

I have to imagine that sports cars will go the same way.

TOTS
12-27-2021, 03:47 PM
Yep. C5 would be the only one made in the last 25 years that I would buy. You can have the horse power, 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, rear engines, auto transmissions and everything else, and I'll still take a C5. I'm not even a Corvette lover but that one had the look. Corvette has been trying to look like a Ferrari for awhile now. I have to look twice to tell the difference.

I don’t think you can buy a more fun car for the price than a C5 Z06. Perfect balance of power and handling. Great suspension and truck parts to keep it reasonably inexpensive to work on. Crappy interior though. Actually, the first Vette I drove was a C6Z, and, although the numbers told the truth, It didn’t feel any faster than the C5. Speed just increased a touch faster than the C5. Put 175K mi on my 03 and just sold it with the same brake pads/ rotors on it that it came with; mechanically just kept running and running. Electrical gremlins started popping up. Was trying to sell it all year for $5K and no interest. Put a cam in it and just sold it on FB marketplace for $15K.

TOTS
12-29-2021, 07:24 PM

Le Français
12-30-2021, 12:42 PM
I called a dealer to ask for pricing on a C4 Corvette (not ZR1) with 70k miles newly posted to their website. $49,000. :rolleyes:

Bucky
01-10-2022, 09:49 PM
So I got to track a C8 today. Really sweet car. If I was buying a Corvette today, definitely a C8. However, it’s not rushing me to trade off my C7, which is what I was expecting. I didn’t get to launch it, which I know is it’s strength. It’s my initial thoughts. Perhaps I need more time to reflect. ;)

uechibear
03-01-2022, 09:47 AM
So I got to track a C8 today. Really sweet car. If I was buying a Corvette today, definitely a C8. However, it’s not rushing me to trade off my C7, which is what I was expecting. I didn’t get to launch it, which I know is it’s strength. It’s my initial thoughts. Perhaps I need more time to reflect. ;)

Sounds fun!

Spring is just around the corner (important for those of us who can't drive their sports cars year-round).

Bucky
03-01-2022, 11:19 AM
Sounds fun!

Spring is just around the corner (important for those of us who can't drive their sports cars year-round).

Beautiful car. Red Mist metallic tint coat? That's the color my wife wants us to get when the time comes.

uechibear
03-01-2022, 11:35 AM
Beautiful car. Red Mist metallic tint coat? That's the color my wife wants us to get when the time comes.

Actually, that C8 is Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat, which is the color Red Mist replaced.

Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat is beautiful, and was a new color in 2021. Here's Red Mist, but the two colors may not look a lot different on a screen:

HeavyDuty
08-08-2022, 06:32 PM
Actually, that C8 is Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat, which is the color Red Mist replaced.

Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat is beautiful, and was a new color in 2021. Here's Red Mist, but the two colors may not look a lot different on a screen:

Just built my dream car again, first time in months if not a year. That is the color for me.

I can’t get too excited about them without driving one first, and the chances of that seem pretty slim.

uechibear
08-08-2022, 06:58 PM
Just built my dream car again, first time in months if not a year. That is the color for me.

I can’t get too excited about them without driving one first, and the chances of that seem pretty slim.

Dude, I'm not sure about letting you drive mine. In fact, I know I won't (sorry). Nobody, including my brothers and girlfriend have, but I could definitely take you for a ride just because we are members of this great forum. I think we both live in the Manchester area... Live Free or Die state.

A C8 is the best money you'll ever spend on a sports car.

HeavyDuty
08-08-2022, 07:09 PM
Dude, I'm not sure about letting you drive mine. In fact, I know I won't (sorry). Nobody, including my brothers and girlfriend have, but I could definitely take you for a ride. I think we both live in the Manchester area... Live Free or Die state.

A C8 is the best money you'll ever spend on a sports car.

Man, if I was still local I’d take you up on a ride - but I moved to TX. I was thinking more of a dealer, or an event. There have to be events, right?

uechibear
08-08-2022, 07:37 PM
Man, if I was still local I’d take you up on a ride - but I moved to TX. I was thinking more of a dealer, or an event. There have to be events, right?

Oh, shit.

When I knew I was buying a C8 and was posting in this thread two or so years ago, I took note of your interest in a C8, but I just came here tonight after quite a while away. This thread has not been even remotely active, and I didn't know you moved!

I guess you'd have to search for local events and befriend someone there. You can see some C8s at car shows or dealerships, but everything at a dealership is sold, and they won't even let you sit in them. Personally, I appreciated that nobody was allowed to sit in my car on a showroom floor.

PM me if you want to talk more about how to get what you want.

You do not need to pay over MSRP as long as you're not in a rush to have it. Some dealerships are ethical.