PDA

View Full Version : Turkey / Missiles / F-35's / Guns?

Old Man Winter
07-18-2019, 06:24 PM
With Turkey taking delivery of Russian missiles it appears they will be kicked out of the Lockheed F-35 stealth fighter program. Does this impact the import of Turkish made guns into the United States at some point?

Here are some of the brands that are currently or have recently imported guns from Turkey:

Stoeger
Weatherby
CZ
Mossberg
Winchester
Remington
Canik
Zenith
Tisas
SKB
Charles Daly
Tristar

GardoneVT
07-18-2019, 07:46 PM
With Turkey taking delivery of Russian missiles it appears they will be kicked out of the Lockheed F-35 stealth fighter program. Does this impact the import of Turkish made guns into the United States at some point?

Here are some of the brands that are currently or have recently imported guns from Turkey:

Stoeger
Weatherby
CZ
Mossberg
Winchester
Remington
Canik
Zenith
Tisas
SKB
Charles Daly
Tristar

Doubt it.

Greg
07-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Since I wouldn’t willingly give a nickel to any Turkish company, nothing that happens will effect me.

jetfire
07-19-2019, 07:45 AM

Stoeger
Weatherby
CZ
Mossberg
Winchester
Remington
Canik
Zenith
Tisas
SKB
Charles Daly
Tristar

CZ isn’t imported by or made in Turkey.

Old Man Winter
07-19-2019, 08:49 AM
CZ isn’t imported by or made in Turkey.

Unless something has changed, CZ shotguns are made in Turkey.

ranger
07-19-2019, 08:53 AM
I believe a lot of shotguns come out of Turkey. My Mossberg SA20 for example.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Turkey is not my favorite country and I wouldn't buy a gun from them as I type this on my Chinese made computer. Oh, I will put on my Austrian Glock - the home of the 'H' man, whose name must not be spoken on the Internet.

Seriously, I wouldn't buy a gun from a country sliding into a religious dictatorship. Vote the guy out, I might. I see Trump was dragged kicking and screaming into stopping the F-35 sale.

RevolverRob
07-19-2019, 11:42 AM
With so many good shotguns made in the U.S., Italy, or Japan - why even buy a Turkish slag gun? Seriously, I don't get it.

The shotguns can all be replaced with superior products for not even really that much more money. A Winchester 101 is a couple of hundred more than a CZ and it's made in Belgium/Portugal by FN. Franchis are roughly the same price made in Italy.

Let's not even get started on shitty Turkish handguns. Oh noes! The Walther P99 clones...err Caniks...will dry up and people will have to buy actual Walthers. Or just do the right thing and buy HK VP9s.

And I don't know a single person who owns a Turkish made rifle. When you can buy a Howa, Tikka, Ruger, Savage, even a kind of shitty Remington for easily less than a G - why anyone would buy a Turkish rifle is lost on me.

I know I am just a bitter gun snob - But I so would like to see the shitty Turkish guns go away. We got rid of the shitty Chinese guns and no one really noticed. We can get rid of the shitty Turkish guns and no one will notice, either. After that, maybe we can get rid of the shitty American guns...looking at you Hi-Point, SCCY, Jimenez, Cobra, etc.

ranger
07-19-2019, 12:51 PM
I have some very nice Sporting Clays shotgun and of course some Rem 1100s but I like my cheap Tristar, Mossberg, and Stoeger shotguns for their purposes. I gave up Nike and pro Football - I am keeping my cheap shotgun vice.

Old Man Winter
07-19-2019, 01:58 PM
With so many good shotguns made in the U.S., Italy, or Japan - why even buy a Turkish slag gun? Seriously, I don't get it.

The shotguns can all be replaced with superior products for not even really that much more money. A Winchester 101 is a couple of hundred more than a CZ and it's made in Belgium/Portugal by FN. Franchis are roughly the same price made in Italy.

Let's not even get started on shitty Turkish handguns. Oh noes! The Walther P99 clones...err Caniks...will dry up and people will have to buy actual Walthers. Or just do the right thing and buy HK VP9s.

And I don't know a single person who owns a Turkish made rifle. When you can buy a Howa, Tikka, Ruger, Savage, even a kind of shitty Remington for easily less than a G - why anyone would buy a Turkish rifle is lost on me.

I know I am just a bitter gun snob - But I so would like to see the shitty Turkish guns go away. We got rid of the shitty Chinese guns and no one really noticed. We can get rid of the shitty Turkish guns and no one will notice, either. After that, maybe we can get rid of the shitty American guns...looking at you Hi-Point, SCCY, Jimenez, Cobra, etc.

I agree and I'm not buying a Turkish made gun as a matter of principle. I'm sure many people don't know they are buying a Turkish made gun. Stoeger as an example sure doesn't market their guns as being made in Turkey or even mention it on their website. Stoeger connects every dot possible to their parent company Benelli and it's not uncommon for people to say Stoeger is just a cheaper Benelli.

Wheeler
07-19-2019, 02:59 PM
Since I wouldn’t willingly give a nickel to any Turkish company, nothing that happens will effect me.

Why is that?

mtnbkr
07-19-2019, 03:36 PM

I bought my Turkish made CZ Bobwhite 11 years ago (damn, has it been that long?) because I wanted a 20g or 28g SxS on an appropriate sized frame (not on a 12g frame like many) and nobody made one for less than $2k at the time. Used ones were either ragged out and loose, built on tank-sized frames, well over my budget ($1k at the time), or a combination of the three. Savage hadn't brought back the 311 yet, and a number of options available today weren't around back then. There was no "market" for affordable or semi-affordable SxS shotguns. Either you lucked into an old gun for a good price or you bought a Turkish gun. CZ at least had some semblance of support to offer along with theirs (I have heard, but not experienced directly, their CS for the shotgun line has been exemplary).

I'd say it may not turn heads at the clay range, but it has received a number of compliments. After 11 years, except for a few minor dings on the stock, it looks practically new too. I was considering selling it to get something else because I was struggling with clays compared to the 12g 870 I used previously. However, I gave it another try and decided to troubleshoot. When I patterned it a few weeks ago, both barrels hit dead center, though a bit low (could be a fit issue). Armed with that knowledge, I proceeded to break clay after clay at my friend's house.

I'm not sure what I'd get by replacing it with something "better" except a lighter wallet and bragging rights (for the gun, not the outcome).

Chris

wvincent
07-19-2019, 04:30 PM
I had a Dehaan sxs back in the day. T'was pretty effin nice to honest.

jtcarm
07-19-2019, 08:18 PM
My son has a Yildiz (Academy brand) O/U 20 gauge I bought him for Christmas a few years ago.

Nice gun with absolutely stunning wood.

Too bad the coup failed a few years back.

JAD
07-19-2019, 09:05 PM
I do work stuff in Turkey sometimes. It is only better than China in the sense that the government isn’t as visible.

RevolverRob
07-19-2019, 09:10 PM
Why is that?

I think for most people, it is because any financial support going to Turkey, is lining the pockets of the criminal Erdogan.

My son has a Yildiz (Academy brand) O/U 20 gauge I bought him for Christmas a few years ago.

Nice gun with absolutely stunning wood.

They actually are nice fairly nice guns for the money. There are also a bunch of slag guns they make.

Too bad the coup failed a few years back.

There is that. Though I don't think Recep Erdogan should even by alive right now - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clashes_at_the_Turkish_Ambassador%27s_Residence_in _Washington,_D.C. - Ordering his bodyguards to attack U.S. citizens, on U.S. soil, as the head of a foreign state is an openly hostile act that is tantamount to a declaration of war.

The reason I'll never run for POTUS is stuff like the above. If I'd been POTUS, I would have given Erdogan one chance to surrender and turn himself in to be tried in criminal court for his crimes, before he even got to the fucking airport. Failure to do so, and I would have had his fucking plane dropped out of the sky over the Atlantic. Retaliation? Bring it on motherfucker.

But then, I'm the kind of asshole, who would probably carry a .44 on my hip to meetings with other heads of state. A clear indication who is the boss ass motherfucker in the room. Play ball or get a bullet in the head. Fuck, if we're going to effectively be the peacekeepers/police of the world, we might as well handle our business. I'm a pretty politic individual in some respects. But I don't think I would have the tact to not tell some of these third world fucks to go eat a dick.