PDA

View Full Version : Ordered the P30 Today & New Member Introduction

Jay
03-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Ok,
Just got back from my LGS, pistol should be here on Tuesday "will post pics" all their supplier had in stock where V2 LEM 7.2# pull.

And I have a few questions.

1. I am going to want to convert this to V4 so, Do I call HK for the spring and do it myself? "how difficult?" send it into them to be done? or have my local Smith do it for me? Biggest concern here is any negative effects on the warranty.

2. Heine Quik Straight Eight's are on order and I haven't been charged yet. Are they historically pretty slow on sending them out "are they made to order?". At what point should i start pestering them? It will be a week on Monday. Yes I am impatient SOB when it comes to new toys.

Thanks in advance for any help / guidance on these.

Now since this is my first post allow me to introduce myself,
I have been lurking on PT for quite some time "all the while imbibing copious amounts of kool-aid".
I tend to know how search functions work and can usually find what I am after without starting a new conversation.

This will be my first HK and it is being purchased to get me on the road to CCW.

I am holding myself to very high training standard in regards to what i need to be capable of to carry the license "and my weapon".
-Getting a perfect score on the TX CHL Test.
-Having a Sub 6 second F.A.S.T. Score "and getting into a class to prove it".
-Doing the above with BOTH OF MY EYES OPEN "cross-dominant currently" .

I am a fairly new shooter 12mos. >2000 Rounds Down Range.
I intend for the new P30 to see 10-15k rounds in the next 12 months "I have 1500 rounds on hand to get me started".

Other than that I can be a bit of a smart ass and currently call Austin home.
Howdy.

Jay

Forgot to mention the P30 In question is of the 9mm Variety

jslaker
03-12-2011, 03:33 PM
1. I am going to want to convert this to V4 so, Do I call HK for the spring and do it myself? "how difficult?" send it into them to be done? or have my local Smith do it for me? Biggest concern here is any negative effects on the warranty.

Somebody correct me on this, but I'm fairly sure the gun would need to go to HK in order not to affect your warranty. The conversion is just a simple spring swap, but installing the springs does require you to break the gun down farther than HK allows for end-users, AFAIK.

-Having a Sub 6 second F.A.S.T. Score "and getting into a class to prove it".

You are certainly nothing if not ambitious. ;)

Welcome and glad to have you.

YVK
03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the site!

You need a compression, or firing pin block, spring HK part # 209296 and hammer spring, or mainspring, HK part # 214300. I bought the former from Numrich, and latter - from HK Parts, although HKParts may have had both. HK CS said they didn't have them in stock when I called.
Hammer spring change is self-explanatory, you just need to drive out a small solid retention pin.
Compression spring change excellent tutorial is found here http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.ph...ger-Job-Part-1
You may prefer to get roll pin punches for the job.

RE Heinie's: the delay could be a blessing in disguise. Unless you have somebody competent to change sights for you, I'd send slide for installation to Heinie.

Sub-6 F.A.S.T. is a considerable achievement, you're certainly holding yourself to high standards.

F-Trooper05
03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Are you a Longhorns fan? If so, ignore what I'm about to say because I hate the Longhorns.

If you want a V4, you just need to replace the FPBS. If you want a "Todd Green Special" then you need to replace the FPBS and the hammer spring. You can either call HK to get the springs (assuming they have them in stock), or get them from HKparts.net. You should be able to do it yourself as long as you're patient, otherwise a competent gunsmith can do it in about 15 minutes. If you send it to HK they'll charge you about $75 which is way too much. And no, doing it yourself won't void the warranty. It's an HK approved upgrade.

As for the Heinies, you'd probably be better off just sending your slide directly to them for installation (they're a bitch to do). You might want to call them before they put your sights in the mail.

jslaker
03-12-2011, 03:49 PM
And no, doing it yourself won't void the warranty. It's an HK approved upgrade.

I thought HK wanted it done by an HK-approved armorer (who are in short supply). I'd love to be wrong on that.

Jay
03-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Commandar,
As far as ambitious goes I figure I am 24-36 Mos And 30-50k rounds before I am able to achieve these goals. And I am a firm believer that if your going to carry your competence and confidence should never be in question. I am looking up-hill at a metric ton of "Train Hard Train Safe" And lots of drills and a shot timer are in my future.

YVK & F-Trooper
The Smith at my local LGS has a ton of Heine Install experience "not so much on replacing sights on HK's" So at the moment we are cued up to discuss it when both sights and pistol are in-hand. They are great guys and I really want to support them so as long as he is comfortable with the install "which he seems to insist on being before he takes on work" they will get the job, If not then a trip to either Heine or Gray Guns will be in order.

F-Trooper
I'm assuming you are either an Okie or an Aggie by the longhorn comment, I will say that I am not a Sports nut or fan of any measure. However the wife does Bleed Orange so I hope we can keep the discussions polite & about firearms ;)

KentF
03-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Welcome to the group. Re springs: I called HK the other day and was told they were out of stock. Hkparts.net is out also, at least for the ones I need. I'm doing a V1 conversion.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

F-Trooper05
03-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I thought HK wanted it done by an HK-approved armorer (who are in short supply). I'd love to be wrong on that.

Last time I ordered springs from HK they specifically asked me if I wanted to send my gun in or do it myself.

Nikuraba29
03-12-2011, 06:09 PM
You can special order the sights from Brownells and save some money. I bought them for 116.00 shipped.

S/F

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lindertw
03-12-2011, 07:11 PM
...Heine Quik Straight Eight's are on order and I haven't been charged yet. Are they historically pretty slow on sending them out "are they made to order?". At what point should i start pestering them? It will be a week on Monday. Yes I am impatient SOB when it comes to new toys...

my local shop ordered a set of Heinie's for my P30 before SHOT show this year - they arrived yesterday... hopefully your wait isn't as long!

Jay
03-12-2011, 08:24 PM
my local shop ordered a set of Heinie's for my P30 before SHOT show this year - they arrived yesterday... hopefully your wait isn't as long!

Ouch! Hope Not "will be calling on Monday to check status"

John Ralston
03-13-2011, 09:48 PM
I am trying to talk them into making the "Ledge" for the P30...I much prefer them to the Slants.

willowofwisp
03-15-2011, 05:18 AM
I am trying to talk them into making the "Ledge" for the P30...I much prefer them to the Slants.

That would be awesome, if I ever pick up a p30 it will have them for sure.

JV_
03-15-2011, 06:01 AM
I hope it's a Ledge QWIK ... I really like the wide rear notch.

I typically prefer 1/2 a blade width of light on either side of the front sight.

John Ralston
03-15-2011, 10:23 AM
They only make the Legde with a QWIK notch, so you are in luck!

BTW - If you all would just email them and ask about them, maybe they would get off the pot...

http://www.heinie.com/contact_us.php?osCsid=b3439oec29863eorc3qkrk8ih1

JV_
03-15-2011, 10:49 AM
They only make the Legde with a QWIK notch, so you are in luck!That didn't jive with my previous knowledge, so I called over to confirm. The Glock Ledge is always a QWIK (.156" notch), but that's not the case with their other sights. The normal Ledge rear notch is .140" and the QWIK is .156".

John Ralston
03-15-2011, 11:35 AM
That didn't jive with my previous knowledge, so I called over to confirm. The Glock Ledge is always a QWIK (.156" notch), but that's not the case with their other sights. The normal Ledge rear notch is .140" and the QWIK is .156".

Got it! What did they say about the one for the P30 - QWIK or not? :cool:

JV_
03-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Got it! What did they say about the one for the P30 - QWIK or not? :cool:My vote was recorded. She said that they might offer a QWIK Ledge in the future, but right now it's only the Slant Pro.

John Ralston
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Didn't you tell her who you were? ;)

JV_
03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Didn't you tell her who you were? ;)I really should have mentioned it, everyone can use a good laugh now and then!

JodyH
03-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Ok,
Just got back from my LGS, pistol should be here on Tuesday "will post pics" all their supplier had in stock where V2 LEM 7.2# pull.

And I have a few questions.

Here's a novel idea.
Just shoot the thing.
The difference between a V2 and a V4 is negligible to a novice shooter.

I've shot a P2000 for 20k rounds and didn't even know what trigger it had in it until I looked at the box this afternoon. It's a V2 btw.
I've shot a sub-7 FAST in class and a 4.65 FAST in practice, all with a stock P2000.

The first thing you as a new shooter need to understand is this... you cannot have a gunsmith install skill.
Too many new shooters spend too much time and money chasing gadgets and not enough time at the range.
Don't be that guy.
:cool:

JohnN
03-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Here's a novel idea.
Just shoot the thing.

I've shot a P2000 for 20k rounds and didn't even know what trigger it had in it until I looked at the box this afternoon. It's a V2 btw.
I've shot a sub-7 FAST in class and a 4.65 FAST in practice, all with a stock P2000.

The first thing you as a new shooter need to understand is this... you cannot have a gunsmith install skill.
Too many new shooters spend too much time and money chasing gadgets and not enough time at the range.
Don't be that guy.

Stop being a killjoy;).

Jay
03-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Here's a novel idea.
Just shoot the thing.

Don't be that guy.

Agreed 100% I apologize for the confusion on the V4 question, it is by no means a NOW thing. I figure i will need to put several thousand rounds down range with the existing trigger before I can even develop an opinion about it.

Once that opinion is developed i will more than likely experiment with all of the LEM configurations just to see if any preference or benefit is achieved "springs are cheap".

As far as "not being that guy" goes, i have a very long list when it comes to firearms of the guy's i do not want to be.

This pistol was purchased to train with exhaustively and to help hone my skills as a shooter. It is my second pistol, the first a Sig SP2022 9mm was purchase as a cost effective entry point to make sure this was something I enjoyed doing and would want to pursue. Turns out I do enjoy & I am not utterly terrible at it "I am to this date 100% on paper with all of my shots".

Once I decided to go full bore into this I searched exhaustively for what I consider a more serious pistol with which to train, the fact that i have to adjust my grip to hit the common mag release location on my sig drove me nuts and just seemed like an inherently bad idea. So between having the opportunity to fire and inspect several USP's of various caliber and Todd's endurance test of the P30 & HK45 HK just seemed to make sense and the P30 was chosen over the HK45 do to ammo pricing "i will be able to buy twice the amount of 9mm FMJ rounds for the given budget" and the gun was bought to shoot, not sit in a safe or range bag because I can't afford to go out and dump 500 rounds on a Tuesday afternoon for no particular reason.

Now for an update on the pistol & sights.
Pistol came in on Tuesday, tore it down cleaned all the excessive lube out of it and dry fired the crap out of it until Friday when it went back to the shop to have the sights installed "they arrived on thursday 10 days after ordering them".

It is more than likely finished by now just waiting on the shop to open back up on Tuesday, I will post pics of the sight install once it is back in my possession.

SecondsCount
03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Here's a novel idea.
Just shoot the thing.

I like it!

VolGrad
03-21-2011, 07:06 AM
I agree with this. I bought a V2 last week with the idea that I would convert it. After dry firing it a lot last week and finally live firing it yesterday I am not in a rush to do anything to it. The V2 is quite nice actually. I'll prob get the springs and will swap them out at some point but it's low priority. I quite like it as is. I just need more trigger time as it's a tough change from a GLOCK. YMMV.

JodyH
03-21-2011, 08:26 AM
I just need more trigger time as it's a tough change from a GLOCK. YMMV.
I'm a Glock convert as well.
It takes some trigger time to learn the V2 LEM but it's worth it.
My press outs are much smoother which means my first shot is faster and more accurate (a full .25 faster). It comes at the expense of about .03 slower split times, but when you do the math (.25/.03 = 8.3) the LEM holds the advantage for 8-9 rounds.

KentF
03-21-2011, 09:23 AM
I agree with this. I bought a V2 last week with the idea that I would convert it. After dry firing it a lot last week and finally live firing it yesterday I am not in a rush to do anything to it. The V2 is quite nice actually. I'll prob get the springs and will swap them out at some point but it's low priority. I quite like it as is. I just need more trigger time as it's a tough change from a GLOCK. YMMV.

I agree with VolGrad. I was planning on converting my V2 to a V1. My USP45C was converted to LEM light (4.5# trigger), but I'm thinking of making it heavier to more closely match my P30.

Jay
03-28-2011, 09:23 PM
As stated I finally got a chance to take the new toy to the range on Saturday where it proceeded to happily eat everything i fed it including,
Lawman 115gr
Lawman 124gr
Gold Dot 124 +P
Federal 115 FMJ
Magtech 115 +P JHP

"about 250 Rounds Total as a Shakedown Function run"

Now upon returning home and and inspecting everything I noticed all 7 of my 15 Round mags now have a small scuff / gouge along the curved slope of the followers approximately 1/4" from the leading edge. Every mag saw 30 to 60 rounds of ammo and it just seems odd, i have seen this mentioned sporadically in comments on the torture test from PT and was just wondering if it was something I needed to be concerned with?

The pistol did "unfortunately" come with 2 10 rounders which I have not yet used and all 7 of the affected magazines are new factory ones from Top Gun Supply "love those guys".

Thoughts?

gtmtnbiker98
03-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Now upon returning home and and inspecting everything I noticed all 7 of my 15 Round mags now have a small scuff / gouge along the curved slope of the followers approximately 1/4" from the leading edge. Every mag saw 30 to 60 rounds of ammo and it just seems odd, i have seen this mentioned sporadically in comments on the torture test from PT and was just wondering if it was something I needed to be concerned with?

Thoughts?Totally normal on the followers, it will progress to a point and will stop. All of my P30 mags have the gouge and it does not influence function.

Occam's Razor
03-29-2011, 01:40 PM

OK Vol - If I didn't already have an HK I'd have to rat you out to Glock.pro. Looking for another P30 to experiment with. Something to keep my P2K company.

VolGrad
03-29-2011, 01:45 PM
OK Vol - If I didn't already have an HK I'd have to rat you out to Glock.pro. Looking for another P30 to experiment with. Something to keep my P2K company.

Go for it. I've grown tired of that site anyway. Too much noise, not enough info. :p

Jay
03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Totally normal on the followers, it will progress to a point and will stop. All of my P30 mags have the gouge and it does not influence function.

Thanks, I did't think it was a big deal but better safe than sorry.;)