PDA

View Full Version : OWB or IWB/AIWB for EDC?

Sauer Koch
07-15-2019, 05:54 PM
What is your preferred way to carry?

*What promoted the question is, when I see video clips from various shooting courses, including tactical/CCW oriented ones, it seems that the vast majority of people use OWB holsters. I assumed that more people carried IWB/AIWB, but figured I’d ask the question.
I carry IWB strong side, and shoot that way in the courses I do, usually from concealment.

blues
07-15-2019, 05:57 PM
AIWB all day, every day. OWB when I go to the range to qualify.

(Standard IWB doesn't work well for me.)

RJ
07-15-2019, 06:54 PM
AOWB in an RCS Perun.

revchuck38
07-15-2019, 07:10 PM
I prefer IWB but often carry OWB because my work jeans don’t have room for both me and the gun. I also carry OWB for classes for easier safe reholstering.

s0nspark
07-15-2019, 07:17 PM
AIWB all the time.

Inspector71
07-15-2019, 07:39 PM
I’ve got my share of plastic holsters for the range, but when it comes down to everyday concealed carry for the street, I always fall back to OWB/leather. Comfortable against the body. Aker Flatsider holster.

BehindBlueI's
07-15-2019, 07:44 PM
My routine is IWB strong side again, although for several years I was OWB strong side. I'm dressing a bit more casual these days, so back to IWB.

Sauer Koch
07-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Clearly, IWB is king, but why do so many shoot OWB at courses? Why not train the way you carry, IWB from concealment?
* I realize many courses don’t allow AIWB, but strong side IWB is usually no problem.

AKDoug
07-15-2019, 08:36 PM
OWB because I can. I'm no fan of open carry, but I can't stand IWB, so I compromise with OWB and a good cover garment. Usually that cover garment is an untucked short sleeve shirt.

I can get away with it for many reasons:

I live in a state where accidently revealing a concealed firearm is no issue.
I live in a state where firearms are common place so printing or revealing is not socially awkward.
I live in a rural area where everyone pretty much wears untucked work clothes.
I own a business where untucked button up shirts are acceptable.
I live in a cold climate, so it's easy to cover a gun.
OWB is more comfortable than just about anything else.

If I lived in another climate, or urban environment, I would reconsider my choice.

snow white
07-15-2019, 08:44 PM
AIWB for edc and competition.

rdtompki
07-15-2019, 10:18 PM
As a civilian and former California resident I had to carry IWB to minimize printing in snowflake territory. I was fine with doing so and took defensive pistol classes using my every day rig. After my move to Idaho I've switched to OWB, but it's very close to body and conceals almost as well as IWB, but hereabouts, given ID allows open carry, folks just don't care. I do prefer the gun at 3:00 which works fine OWB, but my body shape demanded the IWB holster be at 4:30.

Sauer Koch
07-15-2019, 10:40 PM
Ok, my original poll question was simply to determine which was more popular for EDC, OWB concealed or IWB. Although the thread is still young, 17 of 20 voters said IWB.
*OWB (open carry) is not part of this, unless you’re LE

So, my question now is...for those in the majority, and some did answer this, but not all...if you carry IWB, do you use that same holster for a course, from concealment? If not, why?

snow white
07-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Ok, my original poll question was simply to determine which was more popular for EDC, OWB concealed or IWB. Although the thread is still young, 17 of 20 voters said IWB.

So, my question now is...for those in the majority, and some did answer this, but not all...if you carry IWB, do you use that same holster for a course, from concealment? If not, why?

i use my AIWB holster for classes as well as competition both working from concealment. if im going to use my gun its going to be from the holster/ carry method i use for everything else. there is great joy for me going to a match and going well with my edc gear from concealment.

David S.
07-15-2019, 11:22 PM
It depends on the class or what I'm trying get out of the class.

Marksmanship training: Gamer gear.
"Tactical" training: Carry gear.

This year I'm focused on the former.

YVK
07-15-2019, 11:36 PM

Part of the reason why you see OWB on those videos is that there is enough trainers that allow only OWB in their classes.
If I take a competition class, I shoot it out of competition gear. If it is a defensive class, AIWB.

PD Sgt.
07-16-2019, 12:42 AM
Off duty or plain clothes, AIWB for concealment, ease/speed of access, and retention. On duty (suit or polo/khakis) OWB, very occasionally IWB strong side.

I have taken classes AIWB, notably Mike Pannone’s Covert Carry (x2) but many instructors do not permit AIWB in class so it is not really an option. Those I will do OWB. On my own time I usually split my practice 60/40 AIWB to OWB. For me the mechanics of AIWB presentation require more practice so I weight it that way, though realistically I know I am more likely to have to draw from OWB in a work situation than off duty.

Darth_Uno
07-16-2019, 02:09 AM
Yes, because if given the option to carry however I wanted in class, I’d still go AIWB. Not for “train like you carry” reasons. That’s how I train and carry, I like it best for both.

But I’ll open carry on private property if I’m doing other stuff (not shooting).

HCountyGuy
07-16-2019, 05:26 AM
AIWB all the way. I’ve played with going back to strong-side IWB but when I bend, squat or reach a certain way it tends to print more.

LSP552
07-16-2019, 06:15 AM
IWB @ 3:30 with a variety of Milt Sparks and JMCK holsters.

s0nspark
07-16-2019, 06:20 AM

Always the same rig, unless the class/instructor disallows AIWB, in which case I will dust off the OWB holster... I have rarely had that be an issue, though.

Cypher
07-16-2019, 06:44 AM
My preference is OWB. Strongside in a Galco CM. Apparently I'm a Luddite.

My practice because I spend the majority of my time away from home in an NPE is pocket carry in a Desantis pocket holster.

ETA I guess OWB is being equated with open carry in this discussion. I don't open carry ever, I use a cover garment

Doc_Glock
07-16-2019, 09:28 AM
AIWB most of the time.

OWB concealed 4:30 position when running. Belt on skin, shirts over top.

OWB 3:00 disguised in Safepacker when hiking with pack or riding bike. Safepacker attached to pack belt 3-4:30 position.

Rex G
07-16-2019, 10:46 AM
OWB, by far, is “preferred,” by me, assuming we are talking about the primary handgun. No contest. The largest weapon I can comfortably conceal, AIWB, all day long, every day, all year, in an area with l-o-n-g summers, and humidity all year, is smaller than I would rather be using in an extended gunfight, and/or painful to shoot, in high volume, for training. AIWB can be a nice way, for me, to carry smaller/secondary guns, up to SP101 in size, and/or spare ammo.

To be clear, I am simply answering the poll, and giving my reasons; not trying to convince or convert anyone. The way clothing drapes, on my body, the best places for me to hide weapons are at 0200-400 and 0800 to 1000. My default “primary” position is 0300, OWB.

I am not opposed to AIWB carry, and I am glad that it works well, for many folks.

Warning; the following rambles-on:

For reference, I am not satisfied with the way any double-column-mag Glock conceals at AIWB, on my person. The protruding, blocky, rear portion of the slide produces a characteristic “bump” against the cover garment. I can deal with that, but have to be very careful in NPEs. Then, about a couple of years ago, my then-usual-daily G19 pistols started to really hurt my aging right wrist. A 100-round qual session produced very notable swelling, and pain, lasting about a week.

Experimentation showed that any grip frame that does not reach all the way to the base of the heel of my hand, where the hand’s “heel bone” is located, is going to result in a painful shooting experience. That meant setting aside the G19 pistols, and carrying G17 and G19x pistols. Well, Glock “bump” plus a G17-length grip frame means two Glock “bumps;” simply too much for me to realistically conceal well at AIWB.

I cannot just train with the G17, and carry the G19. To shoot a G19 decently, I have to train with an actual G19. I can still shoot G19 pistols lefty, but they are relegated to secondary roles. (I recently took delivery of a KKM barrel and comp, and will experiment with the Roland/Fauxland Special concept, but already know that will be too long for me to carry AIWB.)

A full-sized 1911 remains pain-free to shoot, and is nicely narrower than a Glock, but is long enough to be uncomfortable when toted full-time AIWB.

I have tended to carry duty-/service-sized handguns concealed, during personal time. (I LEO’ed for almost 34 years.) I would rather fight with a full-sized weapon, all else being equal. The grip of an SP101 is actually just long enough to anchor on my hand’s “heel bone,” but, five shots is, well, five shots, and the rather short length of the cylinder crane means there is less work space to reload quickly.

IWB, behind the hip, worked well for me, for over twenty years, but my aging right shoulder, and relatively short torso, can now result in a painful geometric equation if I need to draw in any hurry. My left shoulder has much better agility than my right shoulder, so conventional IWB is workable for my “support” side, and, indeed, I have carried second guns lefty IWB. Again, however, that is second guns, so not really eligible for “preferred” status.

Clusterfrack
07-16-2019, 10:53 AM
AIWB. I've even done 14 mile hikes over very rugged terrain carrying my gun in the appendix position.

I compete in USPSA Production, and do not find that the different holster setup presents any type of "training scar" for my carry gear. When I carry AIWB I draw from AIWB. When I carry OWB I draw the gun from that position. No problem.

David S.
07-16-2019, 10:57 AM
I compete in USPSA Production, and do not find that the different holster setup presents any type of "training scar" for my carry gear. When I carry AIWB I draw from AIWB. When I carry OWB I draw the gun from that position. No problem.

This has been my experience too.

Duelist
07-16-2019, 11:09 AM
IWB ~3:00 for EDC with a gun on the belt is what I prefer to do. It is not what I can always do, of course. I’ve used it in class that way, and have also shot matches that way, but prefer to use a larger than my EDC gun in an OWB/gamer rig for matches.

I forsee, however, as I transition to new employment in the next few weeks, that I won’t be carrying during the work day, and if I do, it will be all NPE level: tiny guns in slow draw deep concealment methods that don’t work for class or matches. Pocket, Smartcarry, etc. What I will probably carry is a flashlight and a can of pepper spray, and maybe a pocket knife.

Cheap Shot
07-16-2019, 11:11 AM
1. Competition, training classes & most DF = OWB competition gear, because 100's of IWB draws annoy my shoulder and I can "look the gun back in the holster" with OWB easier.
2. IWB lately has been LCP pocket carry or when jogging LCP in small fanny pack
3. IWB with G19 is at 3:30 for circumstances when I'm confident I won't print.
4. I've got a few AIWB holsters that I'm starting to DF with to evaluate the feasibility of AIWB for me. Its going to be a long process.

BehindBlueI's
07-16-2019, 01:29 PM

Depends. Generally no for higher round count classes that will get the muzzle hot. My IWB is comfy but not particularly insulating. I've not actually burned myself but have been hot enough I was keenly aware of the muzzle location and my skin reddening.

mtnbkr
07-16-2019, 03:55 PM
AIWB for CCW. OWB for field carry where concealment isn't a concern, but that's mainly a S&W N-Frame where AIWB would be uncomfortable.

Chris

Wondering Beard
07-16-2019, 03:58 PM
I'd separate AIWB from IWB.

In my case, and I imagine a few others, if I had to carry back of the centerline (3 or 9 o'clock) I'd carry OWB because I haven't been able to carry IWB with any comfort.

That said, I carry AIWB nearly all the time (unless I have to wear a suit or suit jacket) because, for me, AIWB is the most comfortable, concealable method. OWB is next, then IWB.

blues
07-16-2019, 04:01 PM
I'd separate AIWB from IWB.

In my case, and I imagine a few others, if I had to carry back of the centerline (3 or 9 o'clock) I'd carry OWB because I haven't been able to carry IWB with any comfort.

That said, I carry AIWB nearly all the time (unless I have to wear a suit or suit jacket) because, for me, AIWB is the most comfortable, concealable method. OWB is next, then IWB.

Exactly the same with me, T. Must be part of the same gene pool. ;)

Wondering Beard
07-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Exactly the same with me, T. Must be part of the same gene pool. ;)

That's us, we're from the mutt pool.

Kyle Reese
07-16-2019, 07:25 PM
AIWB off-duty and OWB on the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leroy Suggs
07-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Before old guy aches and pains from anything in my waistband AIWB for years. Now OWB 3 0'clock.

Gun Mutt
07-18-2019, 12:44 PM
That's us, we're from the mutt pool.

I resemble that remark!

On a rare occasion, I'll break out an IWB rig with a G19 or 1911 and about 30min in I'm like- Seriously, I used to carry this way every day??

I'm firmly in the AIWB camp, but there were a couple years where I lived in the country, shopped in a small town, held LEO creds and worked as a campus cop where they preferred I dress in a polo & cargo pants instead of the full uniform. Under those circumstances, it felt ridiculously normal to open carry OWB 90% of the time.

I've yet to attend training that forbid AIWB, but that wouldn't stop me from going, same with competition. I've flubbed plenty of drawstrokes in my time, but never because I was reaching for the wrong spot.

Gadfly
07-18-2019, 01:02 PM
IWB around 3:30 position, 90% of the time on and off duty (Glock 26). If we have a planned action (warrants), I will put on an OWB holster (glock 17) with retention (ALS).

The only gun I can comfortably carry AIWB is a hammer-less J frame. My gut makes anything else too un comfy. I can do a p365 AIWB for a couple hours, but just don't like it all day. To much poking.

Getting close to swapping out the Glock 26/17 combo I carry on duty for a Sig 365/320 combo.

StraitR
07-18-2019, 01:07 PM
AIWB. I've even done 14 mile hikes over very rugged terrain carrying my gun in the appendix position.

Agreed. I’m AIWB for EDC and OWB for various competitions. This has never given me an issue. That said, I put in way more practice reps from AIWB as that is my focus. Competition shooting is generally done with friends for funsies. I’ve yet to reach for the gun in the wrong spot. Seems pretty straightforward.

03RN
07-18-2019, 06:48 PM

SAWBONES
07-18-2019, 07:22 PM
I've carried IWB 99% of the time for over 30 years, but am now learning to carry AIWB and liking it.

It's surprising to me how the front-central weight of the gun with AIWB improves the comfort of CCW, as compared to the asymmetric weight from side-to-side that's present with traditional IWB; the latter is mitigated but by no means eliminated by having the belt very tight, plus carrying two or more spare magazines on the "off" side for sake of balanced weight, yet AIWB is nonetheless definitely more comfortable, regardless of where (or whether) a spare magazine is carried.

The only issue for me with AIWB CCW now is an appropriate front-cover garment/strategy, and I've got that mostly sorted, most of the time.

Rex G
07-19-2019, 10:18 PM

I answered the poll “OWB,” but carried IWB during much of my personal time, for years, so will answer this. I used OWB for training, in order to clear leather with less effort, and, to keep from burning myself with hot muzzles*. Having to pull hard, with each draw stroke, especially since my right shoulder has been gimpy since I was a teen, gets old pretty quickly. Notably, this was using the same location, on my body, 0300-ish, whether IWB or OWB, on and off the clock. I have long been a believer in reaching for the same place for the primary weapon, regardless of whether in uniform, or in “soft clothes.”

*I was a six-gunner during much of this time, and am tending to revert to revolvers; barrels can get HOT, and some of my IWB holsters were made of nylon fabrics.