PDA

View Full Version : Simple, classic pocket folder

OlongJohnson
07-15-2019, 03:57 PM
I've been carrying around a simple pocket folder for awhile now. It's very convenient, but really cheap. Unattractive and low quality, worth exactly what I paid. (I have absolutely no recollection of how I came to possess it, but it's been around for years; could've been a stocking stuffer or some such.) I'd like to upgrade to something higher quality, higher performance, and just "nicer" in a classic way. Something that would go with a nice blued revolver more than a plastic popper. I don't really want to become a knife dork, or spend a whole heck of a lot of money. I'm thinking of it as a universal, always-there convenience tool rather than as a weapon.

Buck Knives The 55 Folding Pocket Knife (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EHWWIW/) is basically a one-for-one replacement for what I'm carrying in size and operation, but way classier. I like the traditional look. It seems to be exactly what I'd want. However, I have a vague idea that a lot of the price of Buck knives in 2019 goes to the name, rather than the technical content.

What else should I be looking at? I'm good with plus or minus some on price, more concerned about value and quality.

SeriousStudent
07-15-2019, 04:50 PM
Paging blues.

Nothing wrong with that Buck you have listed, in my very humble opinion.

RJ
07-15-2019, 04:51 PM
I asked for similar advice on replacing my mini-Grip and this was suggested to me:

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Dragonfly-Plain-Folding-Orange/dp/B00DJTV3M8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=spyderco+dragonfly+2+orange&qid=1563227408&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Simply put I love it. Small, lightweight (1 oz) and compact. Blade is sharper than an ungrateful teenager. I carry it every day nowadays.

OlongJohnson
07-15-2019, 04:54 PM
That goes great with your Glock 19. ;)

I'm thinking of something that would look appropriate in an "EDC pocket dump" next to a nicely patinaed K frame.

1911Nut
07-15-2019, 04:55 PM
The Spyderco Dragonfly is a good quality, lightweight, handy knife that ends up getting carried by me more than I thought it would. Oner of those things I never leave home without, even if I am carrying a larger Spyderco or Benchmade.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Opinel #6

or other similar numbers of Opinels would also be fine

blues
07-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Paging blues.

Nothing wrong with that Buck you have listed, in my very humble opinion.

Buck does a yeoman's job with the steel and gets the most out of it. Not much to complain about there from an EDC standpoint.

(Hey, he called us "knife dorks". I don't know whether to take umbrage or just cop to it and be done with it.)

Anyway, if one wants to go retro and doesn't care about one hand opening, there are lots of nice lockbacks and slipjoints from companies like GEC (https://www.dlttrading.com/great-eastern-cutlery). It also offers the option of stainless or carbon steel if you like patina.

BobM
07-15-2019, 05:07 PM
I’ve got Buck Bantams in a couple sizes. They are good knives in the $25 range.

Guerrero
07-15-2019, 05:51 PM
Another vote for the Spyderco Dragonfly 2; I have the ZDP-189 version.

blues
07-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Just showing off, but this is a knife Ken Erickson made for me several years ago. (Ken was also a gunsmith back in the day. The gun is his...his late father was a cop. The knife is mine.) Looks pretty good with a revolver.

okie john
07-15-2019, 05:58 PM
I like the Buck Squire or a Case Sodbuster. But it’s hard to go wrong with a canoe, trapper, or a stockman’s pattern from any of the better makers. You can go plain or fancy without breaking the bank.

Okie John

camsdaddy
07-15-2019, 06:23 PM
This Old Timer 340t is in my left front pocket. Often times a 642 is found in my right front pocket.

Blades
07-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Take a look at CRK&T knives:

Squid Black with D2 Blade steel -

Swindle -

They have some nice designs and blade steel is okay. The D2 steel is a good upgrade in the Squid.

OlongJohnson
07-15-2019, 07:44 PM
I like the Buck Squire...
Okie John

That may be the one. I've been reading some reviews and all the smaller Bucks in this size class suggest they let the occasional dog out the door, although far more negative reviews on the 55 than on others. May be necessary to find a store that has them in stock and pick a good one. Just like revolvers...d'oh!

Duelist
07-15-2019, 08:15 PM

Buy a couple of Case slipjoints, maybe a used Camillus.

blues
07-15-2019, 08:22 PM
That may be the one. I've been reading some reviews and all the smaller Bucks in this size class suggest they let the occasional dog out the door, although far more negative reviews on the 55 than on others. May be necessary to find a store that has them in stock and pick a good one. Just like revolvers...d'oh!

They'll make it right if you get a lemon. They have excellent customer service. I had the opportunity to call them once and they came through in spades.

Duelist
07-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Just showing off, but this is a knife Ken Erickson made for me several years ago. (Ken was also a gunsmith back in the day. The gun is his...his late father was a cop. The knife is mine.) Looks pretty good with a revolver.

That would look good next to one of my Smiths, too. Just saying.

Malamute
07-15-2019, 08:44 PM
I saw a cheapo Remington branded china canoe knife in a pawn shop and got one. I liked it so much I bought a spare. A friend thats more of a knife geek gave me a Case canoe knife with amber bone handles for a present, and it shot to the top of the favorite pocket knife list. Really like the thin profile, and blade sizes and shapes. Just a really classy, useful knife for a real reasonable price. I wish they were made identically without the etching on the blade, but I can live with it.

Willard
07-15-2019, 08:56 PM

Beautiful revolver & grips are fantastic. Any idea on grip maker?

blues
07-15-2019, 09:10 PM

I'll try to find out.

Totem Polar
07-15-2019, 10:53 PM
I'll try to find out.

When you do, you should buy a pair, and put a night cobra between them. Maybe take another photo...

;)

rob_s
07-16-2019, 03:51 AM
I’ve been planning on picking up a Buck 110 (https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-110-Elite-Automatic-Lockback--79345) (3.75”) or 112 (https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-112-Ranger-Elite-Automatic--87955) (3”) auto for quite some time.

blues
07-16-2019, 07:52 AM
When you do, you should buy a pair, and put a night cobra between them. Maybe take another photo...

;)

I'm waiting on a reply from Ken. As to the other, unlikely given that revolvers hold a very specific niche for me. Basically for walking around home and walking distance from home. The 642-1 has been pretty much perfect in that regard, though I still get tempted by the M&P 340 when I allow my mind to wander off its lead.

I used to carry the 686+ every now and again but it's been gathering dust for a while now. Shame, really. One of these days I'll break it out of captivity. Probably once the weather cools down.

blues
07-16-2019, 08:59 AM

Willard

Here's the info I got back from Ken this morning about the gun and the grips to the best of his recollection:

I racked my brain last night on the grips and I THINK they are Eagle finger groove grips that I modified. I cut them even shorter , right up to the bottom of the frame. Being a third series (1973 to 1986) the grip frame is not full length. I also had to deepen the clearance cut for the speed loaders I used at the time. As a side note this revolver was originally nickel plated. I wore it up against my skin in my waist band. The nickel had frosted on that side . I then bead blasted the entire revolver and applied a baked on matte black firearm finish, bobbed and checkered the hammer and installed the grips. I have a Wisconsin ccw and to this day the Colt rides along. I have owned it since 1984. Probably way more info than you wanted! Lol

I mistakenly thought that was one of Ken's dad's guns. He was a police officer and passed a few years ago. I remembered that Ken had some of his revolvers...some he held on to and some he sold...and I thought this was one of them.

As you can probably tell, I'm very proud of Ken. He is not only a supremely gifted knife maker and former gunsmith, but one of the best people one could ever hope to call a friend.

A recent picture of Ken:

OlongJohnson
07-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Went by a local shop listed on the Buck Knives site today at lunch. He had a bunch of Case inventory. May be going with a Case Mini Copperlock instead.

If anyone is interested in a full-size Copperlock with P-F orange G10 scales, http://www.bayoucityknives.com/ He actually discontinued his relationship with Case awhile back, but has a bunch of inventory remaining, mostly special editions, etc. If he had a Mini in P-F orange, it would be in my pocket now.

blues
07-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Went by a local shop listed on the Buck Knives site today at lunch. He had a bunch of Case inventory. May be going with a Case Mini Copperlock instead.

If anyone is interested in a full-size Copperlock with P-F orange G10 scales, http://www.bayoucityknives.com/ He actually discontinued his relationship with Case awhile back, but has a bunch of inventory remaining, mostly special editions, etc. If he had a Mini in P-F orange, it would be in my pocket now.

The mini Copperlock is a nice knife. I gave one away here on the forum for a deserving youngster getting his first knife. I hope he's still enjoying it. It was a yellow Delrin handled carbon steel version.

Willard
07-16-2019, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=blues;905109]Willard

Here's the info I got back from Ken this morning about the gun and the grips to the best of his recollection:

I mistakenly thought that was one of Ken's dad's guns. He was a police officer and passed a few years ago. I remembered that Ken had some of his revolvers...some he held on to and some he sold...and I thought this was one of them.

As you can probably tell, I'm very proud of Ken. He is not only a supremely gifted knife maker and former gunsmith, but one of the best people one could ever hope to call a friend.

A recent picture of Ken:

/QUOTE]

Thanks Blues. Very accomodating of you both.

Duelist
07-16-2019, 07:15 PM

I quite like the Copperhead and Copperlock. My Copperhead is blue bone with a Wharncliffe main blade, in stainless, and was the knife I gave myself between Afghanistan and Iraq so I could have a knife that was nice and not tactical. My Copperlock is yellow delrin with a carbon steel Wharncliffe blade. Nice knife. I gave a standard black bone mini Copperlock to my FIL years ago. Nice knives.

blues
07-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Thanks Blues. Very accomodating of you both.

My pleasure, brother.

Flamingo
07-18-2019, 10:37 AM
You may want to take a look at this:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Proper-Slip-Joint-Knife--67754

I like the classic look of the BenchmadeProper.

03RN
07-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Old timer
Russlock
I also regularly carry a Swiss army tinker.

OlongJohnson
07-20-2019, 01:53 PM
The mini Copperlock is a nice knife. I gave one away here on the forum for a deserving youngster getting his first knife. I hope he's still enjoying it. It was a yellow Delrin handled carbon steel version.

Ordered it off Amazon. Synthetic terra cotta color scales. Really a nice light brown with a warm, orange undertone that sets off the brass nicely, with some "swirl" pattern evoking wood grain, kinda. It was also the cheapest one on the site (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGW86NZ/). Pretty little thing and it's just right. It balances just between the index and middle fingers, a little bit toward index, which makes it "float" in my hand, just like my best kitchen knives.

It is a manufactured product, though. Plenty of imperfections, some that were surprising and would be extremely annoying if I didn't plan to just start putting patina on it immediately. Most prominent, the brand inset was polished so much that the oval isn't all there. (Anyone have knowledge of Case considering something like that a defect that warrants replacement?) I generally keep car keys in the same pocket it rides in and there are already marks on it from that.

I noticed it had dark black goo around the pivot, and green thread fragments jammed into cracks, seemingly bits torn off a polishing wheel or industrial rag. Decided I should clean that out so the abrasives don't continue cutting. Either I wasn't paying as much attention before I cleaned it as I did after, or it seemed to lose a bit of smoothness when unlocking.

Googled "case knives factory lube" and found this post: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/case-factory-lubricant.721156/#post-7935511

I had a theory about this dark looking lubricant, which maybe off the wall but here goes.
I had noticed this only over the last few years on new knives at least between GEC, Canal Street Cutlery and Case that they are using Carborundum/Lapping powder mixed with oil, which would have a lapping effect on the blade tangs to help them work in when opening and closing the blades. I've only noticed this lubricant on the joint area and not on any other part of the knife.

That actually kinda makes sense to me. Kinda like the copper goo (a.k.a. anti-seize) Glock ships on the rails, that is said to final polish them; leave it on for the first several hundred rounds to achieve a level of smoothness on the slide that will never otherwise be reached. Is that something the knife dorks know about? Any idea what grit of Clover paste one would want to put back in to re-establish that process? 800? 1200?

Dang it, I can see the top of the rabbit hole from here...

blues
07-20-2019, 02:02 PM
It should serve perfectly well as an EDC / user, but if you aren't satisfied, amazon would take it back without batting an eye and replace it...and Case would probably take care of you as well though it would be faster to just get it done via amazon.

Hope you'll enjoy it...but definitely don't get too close to the edge. The hole is deep...

OlongJohnson
08-01-2019, 11:52 AM
So... I exchanged it through Amazon. The new one arrived this morning. Even worse, by a lot. Multiple quality problems. But at least they didn't polish it so much the logo is worn off...or enough to remove all the tool marks from the scales, or enough to make the surface of the scales level with the ends of the pins. There are big gaps between the scales and inner plates, and the blade is angled so badly it almost touches the side of the slot when closed.

It's almost like someone got hold of a pile of factory seconds that were never meant to go out the door and is selling them as good product. I think this time, I'll take it up with Case directly, just to do my part in closing the "voice of the customer" loop.

Doc_Glock
08-01-2019, 11:59 AM
I have found it hard to get away from using a Victorinox Tinker as an EDC knife. Been carrying one 35 years or so because they fit the needs.

RevolverRob
08-01-2019, 01:16 PM

I'll try to find out.

Those grips are old school Eagle Secret Service Boot grips. I have a pair floating around here in a slightly lighter color, but otherwise identical. In that picture they are on a post-'66 D-Frame and were made back when Eagle made the bottom of the grip flush with the grip frame. Now the ESS grips extend slightly below the frame. They are a fine grip for concealment, they suck balls for shooting.

___

RE: classic blade - I still use a Case Mid-Folding Hunter as my "classic" folder. It's classic with a modern twist, of being a one-hand opener and having a little liner locking tab, in addition to the spring back. I would look at the brand new Case Tony Bose Tribal Lock line <$125 with Tony Bose design influence.

blues
08-01-2019, 01:24 PM
Those grips are old school Eagle Secret Service Boot grips. I have a pair floating around here in a slightly lighter color, but otherwise identical. In that picture they are on a post-'66 D-Frame and were made back when Eagle made the bottom of the grip flush with the grip frame. Now the ESS grips extend slightly below the frame. They are a fine grip for concealment, they suck balls for shooting.

RevolverRob

Rob, in case you missed it, this is the reply from my good friend who did the work and formerly owned his own gunsmith business...
I don't think there's anything he doesn't know about the firearms or knives he has built or worked on...

I racked my brain last night on the grips and I THINK they are Eagle finger groove grips that I modified. I cut them even shorter , right up to the bottom of the frame. Being a third series (1973 to 1986) the grip frame is not full length. I also had to deepen the clearance cut for the speed loaders I used at the time. As a side note this revolver was originally nickel plated. I wore it up against my skin in my waist band. The nickel had frosted on that side . I then bead blasted the entire revolver and applied a baked on matte black firearm finish, bobbed and checkered the hammer and installed the grips. I have a Wisconsin ccw and to this day the Colt rides along. I have owned it since 1984. Probably way more info than you wanted! Lol

RevolverRob
08-01-2019, 01:56 PM
RevolverRob

Rob, in case you missed it, this is the reply from my good friend who did the work and formerly owned his own gunsmith business...
I don't think there's anything he doesn't know about the firearms or knives he has built or worked on...

Right, they are Eagle grips. And either cut down or old school production Secret Service, doesn’t matter too much, neither are available from the factory! And they definitely have to be relieved for speed loaders.

Here is my pair on my 1970 Vintage Colt Cobra, I just dug them out and mounted them. Pictured with the aforementioned Case Mid-Folding hunter. You can see I crudely relieved these for speed loaders about 15 years ago, using a razor sharp Barlow, then torched the exposed wood to give it some kind of finish. I looked on the back, they are marked “Eagle Grip Industries CDF” on one panel and “CDF SS” on another. CDF I assume is Colt D Frame and SS is likely Secret Service.

ETA: I also see that Ken spent considerable time fitting the grips. Colt D-Frames are sort of notorious for poor grip fit, due to not so good QC on frame dimensions. You can see on my gun that the back of the grip panel ends long before the back of the frame. This isn't Eagle's fault, it's Colt's. This did prompt me to go ahead and do something I had been meaning to do for awhile, break out a stone grinding wheel and reshape the back of the frame, rounding it and reducing it to match other grips better, in addition to these Eagles.

OlongJohnson
08-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Just printed the return label for the second one. Amazon didn't offer an exchange/replacement this time.

It's a shame, because I really do like the little thing.

Last night, I drove to Bass Pro to look at their Buck inventory. I think a 501 or 503 would be just right. They didn't have a 503 there; spent some time looking at the 501s through the blister pack. They were all notably inconsistent in ways that would bug me. Other Buck knives of similar construction had similar issues. I believe it's an inherent consequence of the hand finishing that their manufacturing process relies on. Irregular hand finishing is something I kinda expect when I'm paying Harbor Freight prices, but I'm not down when I'm paying American-made prices for American-made goods that have a reputation of quality.

So the plan is just check inventory any time I'm at a place that has stock of Buck or Case. When I eventually find a 501, 503 or Mini Copperlock that looks like everybody was paying attention when assembling and finishing it, I'll buy it. The revolver plan.

In the mean time, the little promo knife that started the whole thing is in my pocket, and I actually like it better than the sub-$40 Buck/Gerber/etc. options. I'm pretty sure I paid nothing for it back in the day, so I'm a lot more content with it for the time being.

At least now my little terrier brain can let go of this bone for awhile...

StraitR
08-12-2019, 09:22 PM
GEC anything would be a great choice.

Another classic, albeit not nearly as "traditional", is a Victorinox SAK. An EDC favorite of mine, possibly the knife I have and use more than any other, is an Alox Cadet (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=alox+cadet&ref=nb_sb_noss_1). They fit perfectly in the watch pocket of most jeans. Regardless of what folder I pick for random daily enjoyment, I almost always have a Cadet.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7833/45833484704_7bb3ac0ab8_c.jpg

Malamute
08-12-2019, 10:12 PM
In 1984 some friends introduced me to the SAK supertinker. My previous impression of SAKs was bloated monstrosities filled with useless junk. The supertinker wasnt that, its easily pocket carried, had only useful tools, meaning things I actually use, (Ive never wished I had a corkscrew, YMMV), and everything worked. I bought one and dont think ive been a day without it in my pocket since then. When doing carpentry anf cain building, I used it pretty much every day for something. I dont think Ive used anything besides the scissors in the SAK to cut my fingernails since then. ive even cut my hair with it.

About 10 years ago walmart had them for pretty cheap ($25?), i bought a spare, since my scales were cracked and kept falling off now and then. The newer one isnt as good as the older one, particularly the scissors, but is still a very good tool.

A friend was helping do stuff at dads. Food time. She asks where the can opener is, I pulled out my SAK, she looked at me, "No, can opener..." "Uh, i dont know, this is all I ever use"

eclecticmoose
08-13-2019, 07:10 PM
My grandfather has sworn by Buck 301s for decades. I have a nice GEC Northfield # 48 and a Buck 301 as well but the vast majority of the time I carry only a Victorinox Alox Cadet.

ETA: if you are interested in the GEC knives, mine is very nicely made and while easily opened and closed, has STRONG springs and a healthy return. The knife also features half-stops--if that is the correct term. The carbon steel takes a very nice edge.

Grouse870
08-13-2019, 08:17 PM
https://www.knivesshipfree.com/great-eastern-cutlery/?sort=newest

Another vote for GEC. They make fantastic pocket knives the half stop is a nice feature to have.

Lost River
08-16-2019, 07:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kM7kwgN.jpg (https://imgur.com/kM7kwgN)

My grandfathers Old Timer.

I don't know how old it is, but I can recall him having it when I was a kid, so it has been around a while now for sure, and if it does not get lost, it will get passed down to one of his great grand kids. He has been gone since the early 90s.

I carry it pretty regularly and it has cleaned a good number of trout from the streams and high mountain lakes in Idaho.

Lost River
08-16-2019, 07:46 PM
This was my grandfather's father's knife, along with his Hamilton Railroad Model watch, and Colt .38 Auto.

The brass match case was my grandfather's.

http://i.imgur.com/Ufmrq2W.jpg (https://imgur.com/Ufmrq2W)

Lost River
08-16-2019, 07:51 PM
Swiss Army Knife, 1980s vintage.

http://i.imgur.com/wzsTWCx.jpg (https://imgur.com/wzsTWCx)

Lost River
08-16-2019, 07:58 PM
Emerson Raven.

http://i.imgur.com/OvSSyb9.jpg (https://imgur.com/OvSSyb9)

Redhat
08-16-2019, 09:19 PM
In 1984 some friends introduced me to the SAK supertinker. My previous impression of SAKs was bloated monstrosities filled with useless junk. The supertinker wasnt that, its easily pocket carried, had only useful tools, meaning things I actually use, (Ive never wished I had a corkscrew, YMMV), and everything worked. I bought one and dont think ive been a day without it in my pocket since then. When doing carpentry anf cain building, I used it pretty much every day for something. I dont think Ive used anything besides the scissors in the SAK to cut my fingernails since then. ive even cut my hair with it.

About 10 years ago walmart had them for pretty cheap ($25?), i bought a spare, since my scales were cracked and kept falling off now and then. The newer one isnt as good as the older one, particularly the scissors, but is still a very good tool.

A friend was helping do stuff at dads. Food time. She asks where the can opener is, I pulled out my SAK, she looked at me, "No, can opener..." "Uh, i dont know, this is all I ever use"

I've been carrying a Silver Alox Soldier since '06. It's proven to be the most "useful" pocket knife I've ever owned.

flyrodr
08-17-2019, 04:11 PM
I've carried a pocket knife since I was a kid. Mostly a Case, Boker, Queen, etc. This was back when a typical Case 3-blade at the local hardware store cost about $4.50. When I started graduate school, I went to a Victorinox Tinker 'cause working around water necessitated stainless. So, some 45+ years later, I have that same Tinker in my pocket. Scales are worn to the point emblem has fallen off, but otherwise it's holding up pretty well. Not the toughest steel ever, but it is rust-resistant. Also carry a single lock blade in hip pocket (usually a Strider PT), but it's only been there about a decade or so.

oregon45
08-18-2019, 08:54 PM
Here's an old Camillus that belonged to my maternal Grandfather. He died in 1976, five years before I was born. This knife, and his Springfield 1903, are all I have from him.

https://i.imgur.com/d02BxTp.jpg?1

OlongJohnson
08-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions of the SAKs.

I just received my new Swiss Army 1. It is great so far; seems to satisfy all my objectives in this search. At first, I was annoyed that the blade didn't center up, but then I realized that's on purpose, because there's usually something else slotted in beside it. I wish there was a version of it corresponding to the 84mm Bantam, where the other end of the single slot was populated with the screwdriver/can opener. With my big hands, I prefer the larger 93mm size of the Swiss Army 1, but realize that it would add nearly zero weight, etc. if the additional tool was included, and the parts other than the spring are all made to accommodate it. So it seems there's a hole in the lineup that could be filled just by putting together a new bill of materials. A 93mm version of the Bantam might just be the perfect EDC SAK. As is so often the case, they don’t seem to make that, whether in Alox or red plastic.

The fracture surface on the edges of the scales isn't cleaned up much, and there is the slightest hint of a burr on the inside edge, so fit and finish could be a little improved, but what do you want for $21? The hand polishing that makes the Buck and Case knives "perfectly" smooth here is also the source of their random variation and quality problems. The Victorinox process isn't as pretty, but it's a tooled, controlled process that will give the exact same result... Every. Single. Time. That's what quality means to me, with a little bit of experience managing manufacturing.

Getting it directly from the source was by far the best deal I could find online. https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Swiss-Army-1/p/0.8000.26 The site kept badgering me to increase my order to $30 to get free shipping, but when I went to check out to see what the shipping would be, it was free anyway.

So for now, mission accomplished. And thanks to y'all.

Also, it will look good in a pocket dump with a 3953...

OlongJohnson
09-10-2019, 09:06 PM
So, of course I couldn't leave well enough alone. The lack of a lock on the SAK bugged me for heavier duty tasks. The risk of it folding onto my hand when applying force in certain directions makes me nervous when contemplating it as a do-all tool. And the impossibility of opening it one-handed limits it.

Picked up a Buck 110 Slim, which has the same blade as the prettier ones but is light, slim and cheap. I like it for a general outdoor beater carry. After a lot of practice opening it with one hand using the factory stud, I realized the risk of slipping my thumb across the top of the stud and failing to safely control the blade was significantly due to the stud being adjacent to and the same height from the blade surface as the scales. I got out the 220 grit, a socket, nitrile gloves and a pan of water and went to work creating little thumb reliefs in the scales on each side. (I used the same strategies to protect myself as when sanding G10, as the scales are glass-filled nylon.) This provides just enough engagement with the machined steps on the stud to engage it securely and safely control the blade much more reliably and with less force.

It's a significant safety benefit, and it's weird to me that I had to think of this rather than the experts who designed and manufactured it putting it in the mold.