PDA

View Full Version : Your ultimate concert....

NickA
04-04-2012, 09:39 AM
The music angle that crept into the boots thread got me thinking: if you could go to a concert with any 3 artists/bands, living or dead, who would it be?
Off the top of my head, but I'd probably stay with these picks :
Stevie Ray Vaughan - I had just discovered SRV when he died, and he was the first "real" music I liked when hair metal pretty much ruled the day. I'll never forget driving to college, punching out one of his CD's (may have even been a cassette!) and hearing on the radio that he had been killed.
Johnny Cash - because he's the Man in Black. This one especially because I could have seen him live if I'd just made the effort and appreciated him sooner.
Elvis- would have to have my dad along for this. With my old man you either grew up loving the King, or you didn't get to grow up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ToddG
04-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Can I just go to a triple-length Rush concert?

Otherwise, I'd have to throw the Grateful Dead in there somewhere. I'm not a huge fan of their music, but the irony of having guys come back from the dead for a concert would be priceless.

JDM
04-04-2012, 09:45 AM
SRV. I too feel completely robbed that he died before I could see him in concert. My old man showed me Stevie when I was 5, a couple years after his death.

AC/DC. If they go through with their 40th anniversary tour next year, I'll be there.

ZZ Top. Seen them with Aerosmith. Good show.

NETim
04-04-2012, 09:48 AM
The Who

Jethro Tull

The Allman Bros.

Tamara
04-04-2012, 09:57 AM
The music angle that crept into the boots thread got me thinking: if you could go to a concert with any 3 artists/bands, living or dead, who would it be?

I am so lame that I have only been to three concerts in my life.

John Parr at Six Flags in '85, The Who at the Lakewood Amphitheater in '89, and Nine Inch Nails at the Omni on my birthday in '95.

Tamara
04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Otherwise, I'd have to throw the Grateful Dead in there somewhere. I'm not a huge fan of their music, but the irony of having guys come back from the dead for a concert would be priceless.

Didn't they already do that for a music video?

Chefdog
04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Hendrix.

Floyd.

Cream.

Ray Keith
04-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Opener- Frank Sinatra of 1962 vintage, followed by Michael Hedges in 1994 and closed by Van Halen circa 1983.

Others I wish.... The Temptations 1967, a Rat Pack show from about '61, Kiss 1977.

Yes, I'm probably a troubled individual...

TGS
04-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Beethoven, Mozart or....Rammstein?

I've seen about 8 or so notable bands/artists in person. The absolute best of them was a classical concert at the Governor's Palace in Colonial Williamsburg, it was awesome. I don't listen to classical music otherwise.....but in person it's really cool, especially when you're a plebian sitting in the same room, and same chairs, that aristocrats use to party in.

I've never seen Rammstein in concert, though, and I love their stuff. Still, between them and AC/DC, it's a toss up.

NickA
04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I am so lame that I have only been to three concerts in my life.

John Parr at Six Flags in '85, The Who at the Lakewood Amphitheater in '89, and Nine Inch Nails at the Omni on my birthday in '95.

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad and all that :)
I hadn't thought about the different era aspect.
SRV didn't live long enough.
With Cash I'd probably opt for late 90's so I could get his last albums with all the remakes.
Elvis- skinny or fat? He was a bad mofo in his youth, but I mostly remember the fat guy in the weird bodysuit (who was still awesome.) "Aloha from Hawaii" is one of my favorite albums; he was clearly losing it, dropping lyrics, out of breath, and still the King.

MEH
04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
1. Alison Krauss & Union Station
2. Tony Rice
3. Bill Monroe or Doc Martin

JHC
04-04-2012, 10:56 AM

This!

But following the rules: add UFO and for a change of pace, Aaron Tippen

JMorse
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
100% agree with ToddG here. Maaaybe 1 of the 3 would be Queensryche during the Operation: Mindcrime era. They put on a hell of a show during that tour.

orionz06
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
This is tough having such a broad taste in music. SRV is up there for sure, I would love to see Dio again, and the Grateful Dead for sure (closet dead fan).

On the other hand, the best concert combo could be:
Dio-Iron Maiden-Metallica (in any order)
Rush-Yes-King Crimson
Tool-Faith No More-Coheed and Cambria
Temple of the Dog (the only good Seattle band)-Foo Fighters-Fuel (would make a great rock line-up)

Shokr21
04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
top 3 that I've seen in person
1. Tim Mcgraw
2. Journey (-)steve perry, instead with the asian fill in, that guy can sing!
3. George Strait

Top 3 I'd want to see
1. Johnny Cash
2. AC/DC they were in the area last year, but I was on the other side of the world
3. Billy Joel

notable mentions Springsteen, Elton John and Merle

I'm a huge fan of live music and probably go to 4-6 large concerts a year and 10-12 small shows (in a bar setting) a year. Love live music especially that southern rockabilly stuff.

David Armstrong
The Beatles in their early years. Elvis at his peak. And then a toss-up between the Beach Boys and Sha-Na-Na!:D

JAD
Pixies, Misfits, Black Flag. I am two for three and the Misfits are off the table.

JMorse
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Adding a list of bands I've never seen but always wanted to.

Opener: Triumph
Middle act: Queen with Freddie
Headliner: Pink Floyd

Opener's opener (if a 4th were allowed) Racer X during the Extreme Volume era with Bruce and Paul.

NickA
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Queensryche during the Operation: Mindcrime era. They put on a hell of a show during that tour.
Geoff Tate FTW! They would definitely be on my '80's-90's list. Never saw them but had the (VHS) video of Mindcrime live.

orionz06
04-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Not sure how I could leave Queen, Racer X, and Queensryche off my list.

I would also like to see the Beatles, from the front row in an era when they still gave out glass bottles.

JMorse
04-04-2012, 11:12 AM
top 3 that I've seen in person
2. Journey (-)steve perry, instead with the asian fill in, that guy can sing!

That's an awesome story.

RoyGBiv
04-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Who
Allmans
SRV (maybe Springsteen...The Boss's new album is excellent. Best he's put out in 20+ years, IMO)

Saw Santana open for The Who once, that was pretty great.
Bonus was that The Clash was the opening act of the triple header and got booed off the stage after 2 songs. (JFK Stadium, Philly.... maybe 1982??)

Anyone ever been to New Orleans for Jazz Fest?
That's a hard-to-beat music event.. Well, it was until everyone "discovered" it. :mad:

JDM
04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
A lot of Stevie Ray Vaughan fans here.

Chris_S
04-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm going to cheat and do two so that there's some stylistic coherency to each.

Rock:

Van Halen - Let's see them from the 1984 tour. Great album, Eddie was on fire, Roth was at the top of his game before leaving for embarrassing solo crap, and Sammy Hagar was still complaining about the speed limit.
Metallica - Justice tour era Metallica. Watch Live Shit Binge and Purge, they just had something ferocious to their live performances that two decades with Bob Rock has exterminated.
Iron Maiden - Anything with Bruce singing is golden since they haven't slowed down at all. To make this an 80s-tacular concert, let's go with the Somewhere in Time tour, awful hair and all.

Classical:

Clara Wieck - One of the best piano performers of the 19th century, hearing either the Beethoven Emperor concerto or any of Brahms' (as they were associates) would be amazing.
Sergei Rachmaninov - Most of the Rach recordings we have are awful, old, crackly things. Hearing him give a performance of his third piano concerto would be an "Ok, I can die happily now" event.
Glenn Gould - Great pianist, rather cranky, probably had asperger's syndrome. He was a great interpreter of Bach and I'd be glad to hear him play whatever struck his fancy because, really, he'd probably just play what he wanted anyways.

JMorse
04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Good call on the Metallica - '...And justice' tour. I wasn't a fan (went to watch Queensryche open) and left a fan. They put on an amazing show.

Shokr21
04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
That's an awesome story.

The asian filling in for Perry? I definitely agree, truly impressive the lengths the band and himself went to to find an acceptable voice to fill the void of Perry.

jstyer
04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
SRV at Carnegie Hall is ridiculously hard to top... but that being said if I could travel in time to one concert I'd probably go to the Hendrix Royal Albert Hall set from 1969. Close second would be Zeppelin from 69-71.

Sparks2112
04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Rush
Metallica
Brand New

With each band covering at least one song from the other bands. Metallica doing 2112 or something for nothing would be my "I can die happy" moment.

LHS
04-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Guns 'N' Roses
Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix or SRV.

jmjames
04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
The one that I wanted to go to, but couldn't: the Monsters of Rock tour in the mid-90's with Metallica, Guns 'n Roses, and Faith No More. I cannot imagine a better trio. Better individual bands? Sure. But as a group, that would be hard to beat.

J.Ja

NickA
04-04-2012, 01:55 PM
The one that I wanted to go to, but couldn't: the Monsters of Rock tour in the mid-90's with Metallica, Guns 'n Roses, and Faith No More. I cannot imagine a better trio. Better individual bands? Sure. But as a group, that would be hard to beat.

J.Ja

I went to the Texxas Jam in '88 - Van Halen, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica, and Kingdom Come. From what I remember it was epic ;)

NickA
04-04-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm a huge fan of live music and probably go to 4-6 large concerts a year and 10-12 small shows (in a bar setting) a year. Love live music especially that southern rockabilly stuff.

If you haven't already, check out James McMurtry and the Heartless Bastards. This one's even got gun content :
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7TSaqMyPwBM
Plus his dad wrote Lonesome Dove, so extra cool points.

Ray Keith
04-04-2012, 03:43 PM
I went to the Texxas Jam in '88 - Van Halen, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica, and Kingdom Come. From what I remember it was epic ;)

I was there that year, Sammy lost his voice mid-way through the show. Michael sang the rest of the way.

JeffJ
04-04-2012, 03:48 PM
If you haven't already, check out James McMurtry and the Heartless Bastards. This one's even got gun content :

I'm a huge James McMurtry fan

JAD
04-04-2012, 03:56 PM

-- Saw the same lineup at the Monsters of Rock in Minneapolis. Deeply enjoyed watching Kingdom Come get booed off the stage.

jmjames
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I went to a Megadeth concert in Philly and Coal Chamber was opening. A bunch of pseudo-Goth kids actually spent "real money" on Megadeth tickets just to see Coal Chamber... and then LEFT before Megadeth came out! The other opener was Monster Magnet or Corrosion of conformity, one of the two. I was floored. Who goes to Megadeth to hear Coal Chamber?

J.Ja

JAD
04-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Aren't they all triple length? Stephen Colbert once asked them if any of their songs were so long that by the time they finished playing them they'd influenced themselves.

Shokr21
04-04-2012, 04:12 PM

Awesome! love that
Matt Stell and The Crashers is what turned me on to rockabilly. too bad there isn't any good quality youtube vids of 'em.

EricP
04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Pixies, Misfits, Black Flag. I am two for three and the Misfits are off the table.

The Misfits (not Danzig or Samhain) played at a strip club in NH, maybe two years ago. They may not be off the table.

Concerts I would like to see:

Mike Ness, the solo projects
Johnny Cash
Isaac Green and the Skalars

LHS
04-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I went to a Megadeth concert in Philly and Coal Chamber was opening. A bunch of pseudo-Goth kids actually spent "real money" on Megadeth tickets just to see Coal Chamber... and then LEFT before Megadeth came out! The other opener was Monster Magnet or Corrosion of conformity, one of the two. I was floored. Who goes to Megadeth to hear Coal Chamber?

J.Ja

I bought Iron Maiden tickets just to see Dream Theater open for them. I did, however, stay for Maiden.

orionz06
04-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I bought Iron Maiden tickets just to see Dream Theater open for them. I did, however, stay for Maiden.

Blasphemer! Glad you stayed though.

UNK
04-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Andre Segovia
Joe Satriani, Surfing with the Alien
Loreena Mckennitt or Sarah McLaughlin

jlw
04-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Easy answer:

My paternal grandmother and my (great) Aunt Lillie singing hymns. My maternal grandmother would be in the audience with me, and afterwords, we'd all enjoy a meal prepared by all three wonderful ladies and all would be right in the world.

Joe in PNG
04-04-2012, 08:18 PM
I've got to also cheat and split this into rock and jazz.

Rock show:
Opener: Traffic
Second: Genisis (the Peter Gabriel era)
Main Event: The WHO (Live at Leeds era)

As for Jazz (fusion, to be technical):
Weather Report (with Jaco Pastorious)
Mavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever (with Stanley Clark)
... and finish the whole thing off with an epic bass guitar battle.

Blayglock
04-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I know I'm weird but I would do:

Rev Horton Heat
Larry and His Flask
Possessed by Paul James

JodyH
04-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Already experienced my ultimate concert.
AC/DC on Halloween night 1989.
"Hell's Bells" at midnight... volume level 11.

MDS
04-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Not really a fan of big shows, and I much prefer to waste time checking out quality local bands over paying big bucks to squint at tiny, legendary figures far below. My go-to live venues are in the Marigny in New Orleans, on a Thursday night after midnight, when the local unknown jazz greats finish their paying gigs for the night and gather at the seedier bars on Frenchmen street to stretch themselves out. That said, as I try to design a perfect live music experience for myself, I keep thinking back to the best shows of my life. I saw Nine Inch Nails in '90 or '91 at a club in Miami Beach, and still go see him sometimes just in case it evokes that old, small show. My favorite band of all time is The Iguanas, they're still not big, but they're getting older and have evolved over the years. Not worse, just... not the same. There was this beaded gourd shaker solo in late '93 that blew my effin mind. (No, really.) And Rush concerts only seem triple-length to the unenlightened, rhythm-challenged, ADD-addled masses who miss the point. I mean, the guy is singing, playing bass, and playing keyboards - at the same time!!!

So, my perfect show would span time and space. Warm up in New Orleans - first the Marigny for the best Thursday night impromptu jam ever, then head to the Rock and Bowl for a set by The Iguanas of circa '94. Quick teleport to the old Cameo in South Beach around '90 to watch NIN do Pretty Hate Machine. Then Rush, playing everything forever in, say, an open air concert by the ocean at Point Reyes.

Yeah, I'd totally go to that show. If I could only find a good sitter...

NickA
04-05-2012, 08:19 AM
I was there that year, Sammy lost his voice mid-way through the show. Michael sang the rest of the way.

I thought that was you ;) Sorry if I spilled beer on you.

Chefdog
04-05-2012, 08:49 AM
I should've included this in my original post, but somehow forgot.
Robert Randolph and the family band!

Saw him open for Clapton several years ago at the MCI center and they really stole the show. During one song the entire band rotated through each other's instruments without missing a beat. For an encore he played "Sunshine of your love" with Clapton. Incredible show!

JMorse
04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I'd also love to see Dream Theater (but no MP makes me a sad panda), Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Blue Man Group.

orionz06
04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I'd also love to see Dream Theater (but no MP makes me a sad panda), Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Blue Man Group.

I have seen them with and without, Mangini is an amazing drummer and they did not skip a beat.

There was something special with Portnoy though, just being right up front against the stage watching them work back and forth. Loads of energy, it's a shame it didn't work out.

jmjames
04-05-2012, 10:51 AM

I saw TSO in winter of 2010. The show itself was visually impressive, but the music itself (the only song I knew by them prior was their really famous one that always gets used in ads) felt repetitive to me. I was really impressed by the choreography and the overall spectacle, though, and I think it's worth going for that alone.

J.Ja

dookie1481
04-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Fugazi
At the Drive-In
Beatles

ETA one more: Muse

SteveK
04-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Kiss

Motley Crue

Neil Young and Crazy Horse

and if one of them flames out...Blue Oyster Cult

JDM
04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Kiss

Motley Crue

Kiss and Motley Crue are going to be in VA in July.

JAD
04-05-2012, 12:22 PM
The Misfits (not Danzig or Samhain) played at a strip club in NH, maybe two years ago. They may not be off the table.
Would that it were. Some people continue to record and perform as the Misfits, but Glenn Danzig isn't singing for them, so 'tain't.

JAD
04-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I throw the goat, and then facepalm with it.

JAD
04-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Already experienced my ultimate concert.
AC/DC on Halloween night 1989.
"Hell's Bells" at midnight... volume level 11.
Pretty good. I saw Bowie on Valentine's Day, which was... effective.

JAD
04-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Fugazi

-- Minneapolis, 1990. Great show, but mostly made me mad I never got to see Minor Threat.

Robert Mitchum
04-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Luciano Pavarotti
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Gary moore
Duane Allman
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Tom Morello
Johnny Ramone
John Fogerty
Angus Young
Ritchie Blackmore
Pete Townshend
Yngwie Malmsteen
Joe Satriani
Keith Richards
George Harrison
Curtis Mayfield
Alvin Lee
David Gilmour
Dickey Betts

Robert Mitchum
04-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Back in the 70's saw a bunch of good concerts...

Check this out from gary moore 'Texas Strut'
I have surround sound system on a 56" tv and blast the sound up and it is just heaven.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAZhyQEyrw

David Armstrong
04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Who
Allmans
SRV (maybe Springsteen...The Boss's new album is excellent. Best he's put out in 20+ years, IMO)

Saw Santana open for The Who once, that was pretty great.
Bonus was that The Clash was the opening act of the triple header and got booed off the stage after 2 songs. (JFK Stadium, Philly.... maybe 1982??)

Anyone ever been to New Orleans for Jazz Fest?
That's a hard-to-beat music event.. Well, it was until everyone "discovered" it. :mad:
Yes. JazzFest was a great show. It's still a great show, but like so many things the popularity of the event with the tourists has diminished the enjoyment of it. Still some great music, just harder to experience it the way it should be.

dookie1481
04-05-2012, 10:34 PM
-- Minneapolis, 1990. Great show, but mostly made me mad I never got to see Minor Threat.

I'm a huge Minor Threat fan as well.

Mark Housel
04-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Jethro Tull back in the early 70's (maybe 72?) By far the best concert I've seen.

Rolling Stones in Colorado Springs 1981 (The year after Jagger was lame and then "trained up" for the '81 tour) Opened by Heart and George Thorogood and Delaware Destroyers.
For sure an extremely close second.

10 Years After opened by Edgar Winter and White Trash Early 70's again.

Why yes, yes I am an old fart! :p

LHS
04-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Kiss

Motley Crue

KISS and Crue are going to be in Pittsburgh in early September. As long as the weather holds, it's a cool venue.

LHS
04-06-2012, 02:39 AM

I was lucky, and saw DT the last year they had Portnoy with them. Great show. Maiden was cool too, though I vastly prefer Metallica or even Megadeth when it comes to metal.

LHS
04-06-2012, 02:44 AM
I saw Skynyrd and ZZ Top in '99. Skynyrd rocked the house down, but ZZ Top was pretty much just phoning it in. I think if ZZ Top had gone on stage first, it would have been better. Those three guys just couldn't compete with the energy level of Skynyrd.

I've seen the Eagles twice. Once in 2002, and again in 2010. Both times were great shows, but with average seats pushing $200, I doubt I'll see them again. I only went to the 2010 show because they were on my dad's bucket list, and he was still jealous that I saw them without him in '02.

Dokken puts on a great show. I saw them in '99 with Poison, Ratt and Great White, and Dokken by far was the best.

The most fun I've ever had at a concert, though, was Jimmy Buffett in 2000. Saw him in Pittsburgh, sitting on the grass of a big amphitheater. People drinking margaritas out of fishbowls, rednecks in the parking lot making pina coladas in a blender affixed to a gas-powered weed eater, and everyone just having a grand ol' time. I didn't see one angry person the whole time I was there.

These days, if I had a 'bucket list', it'd be Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Robert Cray, and Fleetwood Mac.

BigT
04-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Rammstein
Nine Inch Nails
AC/DC

A triple Rammstein would be epic but Ifear that at the end my head would explode. We managed to see them from the front row last year. it was a couple weeks before our wedding and it was a miracle the bride and groom had eyebrows

TommyG
04-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Rush and Primus was pretty close to perfection in a rock concert for me. Les Claypool came back to the stage and traded bass riffs with Geddy Lee later in the show. Emerson Lake and Palmer might have been a good addition to round that one out.

fixer
04-06-2012, 08:53 AM
3) Slayer and Meshuggah doing a co-headline where they alernate songs. Pretty sure space and time would have a new dimension after this.

2) Seeing Pantera one last time before the stupid drama broke them up.

by far...1) Dec 8th 2004, Alrosa Villa, Damageplan... to stop Nathan Gale.

Sparks2112
04-06-2012, 02:18 PM
3) Slayer and Meshuggah doing a co-headline where they alernate songs. Pretty sure space and time would have a new dimension after this.

2) Seeing Pantera one last time before the stupid drama broke them up.

There was a member of Ohioans for concealed carry there who had disarmed because the law at the time required him to do so. He actually saw the pistol come out before any shots were fired. He said he could have made the shot in his sleep had he been armed. One of the reasons I carry in npe's. You never know.

So yeah, gun control killed dime bag :(

LHS
04-06-2012, 02:59 PM

This.

vaspence
04-06-2012, 03:07 PM
AC/DC with Bon Scott
Lynyrd Skynyrd pre crash
Police in 1984
Clash with Strummer
Social Distortion
Cash
Van Halen 1984
Throwing Muses

John Ralston
04-06-2012, 05:11 PM
100% agree with ToddG here. Maaaybe 1 of the 3 would be Queensryche during the Operation: Mindcrime era. They put on a hell of a show during that tour.

I actually saw Queensryche on the Operatin Mondcrime Tour...it was an excellent Show.

While in Portland I saw Rush, KISS, Alice Cooper, AC/DC (twice, scored 2nd row for the last show), Ozzy, and Aeorsmith (twice as well, and scored 7th row for the 2nd show).

I got my fill of spending an A$$ Load of cash for tickets though, and now I am just fine listening to whoever on the radio.

jmjames
04-06-2012, 07:50 PM
A few years ago, I won tickets to see Alice Cooper at House of Blues in Myrtle Beach (my second time seeing him). Queensryche and I believe the current incarnation of Black Sabbath (as "Heaven and Hell") were supposed to be openers. I was a bit disappointed when I got there to discover that this particular night, all three acts were doing their own thing in separate towns. Queensryche has been on my "too see" list for a long, long time now. Cooper is fun, but in the same way that I enjoy hot dogs and burgers films, not exactly gourmet food like Queensryche is...

J.Ja

JMorse
04-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Sadly imo Queensryche is a sad shell of what they used to be in the days ending with 'Empire'. I didn't realize at the time how awesome Chris DeGarmo was until he was gone. Sadly Tate's voice just isn't nearly as good either. In his prime though, damn... so good. 'Rage for Order' still holds a top 5 place on my album playlist.

Joe in PNG
04-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Rush and Primus was pretty close to perfection in a rock concert for me.

I saw them back in 1992- and it was awesome.

LHS
04-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Rush and Primus was pretty close to perfection in a rock concert for me. Les Claypool came back to the stage and traded bass riffs with Geddy Lee later in the show. Emerson Lake and Palmer might have been a good addition to round that one out.

Ever hear Primus' cover of "NIB" with Ozzy on vocals? Freaking epic.

dookie1481
04-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Rush
Metallica
Brand New

With each band covering at least one song from the other bands. Metallica doing 2112 or something for nothing would be my "I can die happy" moment.

Brand New is awesome in concert.

JAD
04-07-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm a huge Minor Threat fan as well.

I see by your username you're into Green Day. You might want to check out this band 'Stiff Little Fingers..."

Sparks2112
04-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Brand New is awesome in concert.

I know, I've seen them like 5 times, though the last time I saw them I literally picked a drunk teenager up by his neck. His friends were impressed.

jlw
04-07-2012, 06:46 PM
I see by your username you're into Green Day. You might want to check out this band 'Stiff Little Fingers..."

Speaking of Green Day, a friend of mine in college played guitar in a band, and they got a gig opening for another band at a bar. I went to see my friend's band play. The band they opened for was Green Day before they hit it big.

MDS
04-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Speaking of Green Day, a friend of mine in college played guitar in a band, and they got a gig opening for another band at a bar. I went to see my friend's band play. The band they opened for was Green Day before they hit it big.

How was the show?

jlw
04-07-2012, 06:54 PM
How was the show?

Not exactly my preference in genre, but it was good.

As I don't follow that scene, years later everybody got all excited about Green Day playing locally, but I had no idea they had made it big.

SaddleTramp
04-07-2012, 09:18 PM
1. Foo Fighters (seen them many times and they always top the previous show).
2. Gun n Roses
3. George Strait (yeah I grew up in Wyoming)

Serenity
04-07-2012, 10:06 PM
We saw Def Leppard and Heart last summer: 3rd row. I can't think of anyone to add to the show that would have made it better; they were on fire.

I wish I had seen Guns n Roses when they were together.

BN
04-08-2012, 08:31 AM
I guess there aren't any country music fans here. :)

http://www.jamboreeinthehills.com/

This is a fun time. I've worked security here a few times.

TommyG
04-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Ever hear Primus' cover of "NIB" with Ozzy on vocals? Freaking epic.

Yup. Great stuff. I love oddball covers from "big name" bands.

jlw
04-08-2012, 07:19 PM

This thread keeps coming back around to personal connections. Colt Ford lives in the county where I work. I met the Blackberry Smoke guys on the night of some big happenings in these parts. They were playing a venue next to a staging area and invited us all to their show that night and handed out a bunch of CDs.

ErnieB
04-23-2012, 10:25 PM
My girl and I recently saw Blackberry Smoke in Las Vegas. They freakin' rocked!!! They are presently my favorite band. I cannot say enough about how good their live show was. If you are a southern rock fan I highly recommend checking them out.

LHS
04-23-2012, 11:40 PM

All the years I lived in northern WV, I never hit the Jamboree. I guess I never much cared for what Country music turned into after Willie, Waylon and Charlie. Still, I've heard it's a hell of a time.

Shogun
04-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Would that it were. Some people continue to record and perform as the Misfits, but Glenn Danzig isn't singing for them, so 'tain't.

Agreed. I caught the Danzig Legacy show in Chicago last year.. it was great, though i discovered that i've outgrown Danzig solo... i just wasn't into it. The Samhain & Misfits sets were worth the money/hotel/gas.

Doyle has a recent quote flying around the interwebs, something about a full fledge reunion in the works, but his brother Jerry 'threw a monkey wrench in it'.

Serenity
04-26-2012, 12:42 AM
We just got tickets to see Journey, Pat Benatar and Loverboy together in July. Not my great fanasy line up but the Gorge in WA is the coolest outdoor venue ever and the crowd is always mellow and fun. It should be a good show.

will_1400
06-17-2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQl1JbuYrLk

Something about this song just appeals to me.

Sadmin
06-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Bonobo w/ band
CCR
G&R during Appetite and only Appetite.

Kyle Reese
06-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Chopin.

Mozart.

Fat Elvis.

jstyer
06-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Chopin.

Mozart.

Fat Elvis.

No Russians? Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff?

Kyle Reese
06-18-2012, 12:08 PM
No Russians? Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff?

None of them badass enough to unseat Fat Elvis from my lineup. :cool:

orionz06
06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Chopin.

Mozart.

Fat Elvis.

Your lack of Bruce Dickinson from that lineup saddens me.

ubervic
06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
SRV
Led Zeppelin
Peter Frampton
BTO
Parliament (Funkadelic) :cool:

Beat that.

Carraway
06-19-2012, 01:17 AM
- John Coltrane, especially the quartet with Elvin Jones, McCoy Tyner and Jimmie Garrison
- Jimi Hendrix
- Robert Johnson or Charlie Christian. It's a toss up.

And then maybe Igor Stravinsky will debut a composition written for them.

Coyotesfan97
06-19-2012, 02:41 AM
I'd really want to see a Hank Williams/Hank "Bocephus" Wiiliams Jr concert, a Patsy Kline concert and a Highwayman concert.

I saw Merle at the Celebrity Theatre "in the round". The stage was round and rotated so everyone had a clear view. I had great seats. One of the best I've seen. The Texas flag dropping behind Willy Nelson was great too. I saw The Cars and ZZ Top several times in HS and college.

LittleLebowski
06-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Clutch, Johnny Horton, and Johnny Cash.

LOKNLOD
06-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Free access to iTunes piped into a workshop or somewhere I can be productive.

I think live music sucks + I hate crowds = I really hate concerts.

(I know I'm weird, but I find it easier to just embrace it)

Coyotesfan97
06-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Clutch, Johnny Horton, and Johnny Cash.

Dang I forgot Johnny Horton. :cool: Scratching The Highwaymen and adding him

LittleLebowski
06-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Dang I forgot Johnny Horton. :cool: Scratching The Highwaymen and adding him

We definitely need to hang out and talk dogs, guns, and music over a fine Belgian ale :D

sheperd80
06-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Cool topic!

Chopin (or beethoven, hard call) - Hendrix - Avenged Sevenfold

Yeah im weird but to me that would be epic. As long as chopin did 1st concierto, hendrix did little wing, and a7x did buried alive id be a happy man.

Of course if i could throw in metallica with cliff then that would be ultimate. Been a metallica fan forever and never saw them live while they were still good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

jstyer
06-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Little wing!!!!!

will_1400
06-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Megadeth, Alice Cooper, Dire Straits, The Highwaymen, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Manowar, Iron Maiden, and Stevie Ray Vaughn would be my top picks. There are others that I like, but those are my favorites.

Coyotesfan97
06-20-2012, 02:31 AM
We definitely need to hang out and talk dogs, guns, and music over a fine Belgian ale :D

Absolutely! ;)