PDA

View Full Version : Another chief leaves firearm in bathroom

0ddl0t
07-11-2019, 11:42 AM
"San Luis Obispo’s police chief is speaking out after she says her personal firearm was taken when she left it in a public restroom.
She said the gun was in a holster but she removed it because it did not stay clipped to her pants.

Cantrell says she noticed her mistake within minutes, but that when she went back, the gun was gone. It has not been recovered."
https://ksby.com/news/2019/07/10/slo-police-chiefs-firearm-stolen-after-she-admits-to-leaving-it-in-restaurant-restroom

She joins a list of recent forgetful chiefs from Laramie, Prescott Valley, Oak Harbor, & Dayton...

Kyle Reese
07-11-2019, 12:08 PM
"San Luis Obispo’s police chief is speaking out after she says her personal firearm was taken when she left it in a public restroom.
She said the gun was in a holster but she removed it because it did not stay clipped to her pants.

Cantrell says she noticed her mistake within minutes, but that when she went back, the gun was gone. It has not been recovered."
https://ksby.com/news/2019/07/10/slo-police-chiefs-firearm-stolen-after-she-admits-to-leaving-it-in-restaurant-restroom

She joins a list of recent forgetful chiefs from Laramie, Prescott Valley, Oak Harbor, & Dayton...

Totally, 100% unsat. Being an armed professional means that you’re held to a higher standard, IMO. How hard is it to conduct a quick inventory of sensitive items prior to leaving the stall?Sidearm, creds, spare mags, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cypher
07-11-2019, 06:14 PM
How does something that important slip your mind in the time it takes to go to the bathroom?

Maybe it's because I've heard all the horror stories but any time I've ever had to use the bathroom in public it was like my gun glowed in the dark until it was back in my pants.

CWM11B
07-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Divided attention and distraction. That's why you have a mental checklist, but that's not 100%. My former agency had several incidents similar to this over the years. From all ranks.

LittleLebowski
07-11-2019, 08:18 PM
A liberal, too. I’ll bet money she hasn’t qualified with that weapon in years.

Why do chiefs wear ridiculous 4 star general rank?

KellyinAvon
07-11-2019, 08:44 PM

Copy that LL. I'll give them an eagle, but 4 stars? No frappin way!

okie john
07-11-2019, 08:59 PM
How would she respond if one of her officers did that? That might be a good yardstick for a response in this case.

Okie John

GJM
07-11-2019, 09:10 PM
chief had to duty
but she forgot her weapon
wishes she held it

ssb
07-11-2019, 09:21 PM

I've seen a chief who had more stars on his uniform than had officers who worked for him.

Elkhitman
07-11-2019, 09:58 PM
I’m just speculating, but if I was a betting man I’m guessing “she” was hired not because of her ability to do the job, but because she checked several boxes that played into the Ca political climate.

Trukinjp13
07-11-2019, 10:03 PM
I respect the Leo community fully. But it is a large community and has many bad eggs. Most of which could probably be blamed on management or which politician is pulling the strings. This kind of shit makes me sick when I hear politicians claiming I can not be armed because the police will protect me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderland
07-11-2019, 10:04 PM
At least she had her weapon. Our county sheriff had no weapon at the scene of a mass shooting.

5 people died and he scooted out the back door. He heard the shots. His excuse. I was going to a movie and they didn't allow firearms there. WTF. I carry in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Mall_shooting

0ddl0t
07-11-2019, 10:21 PM
I’m just speculating, but if I was a betting man I’m guessing “she” was hired not because of her ability to do the job, but because she checked several boxes that played into the Ca political climate.

SLO was pretty conservative when I went to Cal Poly ~20 years ago. It looks like the Democrats have been slowly chipping away at the Republican lead, but it is still a red county:

Of course, SLO city is more liberal than the county.

HCM
07-11-2019, 10:41 PM

Unlike the military, most state LEO accreditation organizations like CA POST require certain minimums regardless of who you are in your Dept.

It may have been a “princess” qual, it might take multiple tries etc but she has to be shooting at least once a year.

Pencil whipping fake qual scores is a good way to get “giglio’ed” and end your LE career if you get caught.

HCM
07-11-2019, 10:45 PM
How would she respond if one of her officers did that? That might be a good yardstick for a response in this case.

Okie John

Did you watch her video ? She seems to be owning her mistake.

HCM
07-11-2019, 10:46 PM
Divided attention and distraction. That's why you have a mental checklist, but that's not 100%. My former agency had several incidents similar to this over the years. From all ranks.

All agencies do. It happens. There needs to be be consequences to minimize it, but it happens.

Mark D
07-11-2019, 11:06 PM
I live in the same county, and pass through or do business in San Luis Obispo every day. I know a number of local LEO who are well trained, sharp, and professional. Too bad the chief doesn't seem to be on the same level. I'll wager she didn't forget her iPhone...

And I can't help but think that if I left my pistol in a public shitter there would be unpleasant consequences.

The rural parts of the county are pretty red, but the city of San Luis Obispo is firmly blue - probably a side effect of the university and the growing tech influence.

OlongJohnson
07-12-2019, 09:50 AM
At least she had her weapon. Our county sheriff had no weapon at the scene of a mass shooting.

5 people died and he scooted out the back door. He heard the shots. His excuse. I was going to a movie and they didn't allow firearms there. WTF. I carry in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Mall_shooting

I was not aware of that detail of that incident.

vcdgrips
07-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Elkhitman- Perhaps a bit unfair. What firsthand knowledge do you have regarding her police career at SLO or at the Mesa PD (she did 21 years with Mesa PD before this job)?

Your speculation is akin to the speculation that despite your username, you are not nearly the hunter you think you are. But I do not know you from Adam, so I could be completely off base. I really don't know anything about your hunting acumen at all.

Did you watch her facebook apology?

Clearly:

1. She did something really stupid
2. She recognized it within minutes and was back in the restaurant before 2 of the three people that went into the restroom after her had even left the building
3. She made and unequivocal and public apology the same day acknowledging that she made a mistake and that she will be held accountable.

Again, she did something really stupid and there should be a penalty for such conduct. I only wish others in public life would be so transparent in their professional transgressions and own their behavior.

Contrast her statement with FORMER Sec Acosta statement earlier this week re why he executed a Non Pros Agreement w Epstein. He would still be Secretary today is he had said:

1. I am sorry. I made a bad deal with people who worked at my old firm. In retrospect, I allowed myself to be outlawyered by more experienced defense attys instead of fully considering the input I was getting from career FBI and prosecutors in my office.
2. If I had it to do over again, I would not make the same mistake, I would have moved forward with the case in a more traditional way that would have to a presentation to the federal grand jury or until the career people in my office and at Main Justice concluded that the case was so deficient that it should not be brought.
3. To the victims, I am profoundly sorry and to those who have not come forward because of my conduct, please reconsider-here is a 1-800 number to call the FBI etc.

FYI
Laramie/male/2005/emailed the entire dept re what he did an wrote himself a reprimand
https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/laramie-police-chief-leaves-loaded-gun-in-restaurant-bathroom/article_ca467457-aa11-59bc-a231-d55d12be780d.html

Prescott Valley/male/2017/apparently did not notice he left in the bathroom for 4 days.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-breaking/2017/11/20/prescott-police-chiefs-gun-missing-after-he-left-library-bathroom/882646001/

Oak Harbor/male/2016/ultimately resigned/it was reported he had time with the LAPD Gang Unit, 30 year cop.
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/oak-harbor-police-chief-who-left-gun-in-restroom-resigns/

LittleLebowski
07-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Unlike the military, most state LEO accreditation organizations like CA POST require certain minimums regardless of who you are in your Dept.

It may have been a “princess” qual, it might take multiple tries etc but she has to be shooting at least once a year.

Pencil whipping fake qual scores is a good way to get “giglio’ed” and end your LE career if you get caught.

Remember this one?

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-police-chief-has-skipped-target-practice-3281784.php

HCountyGuy
07-12-2019, 11:26 AM
Remember this one?

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-police-chief-has-skipped-target-practice-3281784.php

Let’s be honest, isn’t a sidearm just a decorative piece for the command staff at most agencies anyway?

I’m not saying they don’t have some need to be armed, but I’d be surprised if most of them knew anything about their particular firearm beyond which end the hurty-thing comes out of.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-12-2019, 11:35 AM
I recall when I lived in Portland, that various chiefs failed to qualify repeatedly. This was in the early 90's. Also, about decoration usage of the gun, I was watching Blue Bloods and Tom, the Chief carried a Fitz special because it was Daddy's. True it was a fictional show but I found that stupid.

BTW, I was at a pseudo-French bistro in San Antonio, and an officer just wearing a police polo and what looked like tactical dress pants came in wearing a Glock and two mags. He got some take it out. When I picked up my take out after him I asked the clerk why she didn't flee in terror like Starbucks. We both laughed.

HCM
07-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Remember this one?

Yup - and it was a problem. Likely part of why she’s not chief anymore.

I also doubt Heather Fong owns a personal firearm or carries off duty.

Going back to the SLO Chief what are you basing your assumptions on ? Her appearance ?

Because she looks like a lesbian ? Because I’ve worked with a bunch of lesbian cops and with one glaring exception they have been good cops. In fact one was a bad ass, great cop. She was like Dagga Boy if he was a chick who liked chicks if you can wrap your head around that. So you might want to re-evaluate your assumptions.

HCM
07-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Let’s be honest, isn’t a sidearm just a decorative piece for the command staff at most agencies anyway?

I’m not saying they don’t have some need to be armed, but I’d be surprised if most of them knew anything about their particular firearm beyond which end the hurty-thing comes out of.

Based in your extensive LE experience ?

CWM11B
07-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Yup - and it was a problem. Likely part of why she’s not chief anymore.

I also doubt Heather Fong owns a personal firearm or carries off duty.

Going back to the SLO Chief what are you basing your assumptions on ? Her appearance ?

Because she looks like a lesbian ? Because I’ve worked with a bunch of lesbian cops and with one glaring exception they have been good cops. In fact one was a bad ass, great cop. She was like Dagga Boy if he was a chick who liked chicks if you can wrap your head around that. So you might want to re-evaluate your assumptions.

LL is a big boy and can speak for himself, but what's a lesbian look like? I've worked with plenty too. Some you could kind of guess by mannerisms or, in one case I knew of, their tattoos. Plenty just looked like an M1A1 standard issue cop, female type, 1each. And who they chose to bunk with was none of my business anyway. The old "They (insert the they of choice here)all look alike to me" is pretty presumptive too. It is a pretty safe ASSuMEumption that ANY big city chief in this country, especially in CA, probably leans left of center politically. IME that position is basically a political appointment. Agreed that their personal politics dont have much to do with the incident, we had similar happen to all ranks, including at least one really switched on dude. Divided attention/distraction bites us all at some point or another

TGS
07-12-2019, 05:15 PM
FWIW, one of our agents used to work with this chief when they were both patrol officers in Arizona. He said that she's actually a great cop, was very well respected for being on point, ethical, and could handle herself in a fight.

Sometimes good people fuck up, too. I thought it was interesting for him to come out in support of her in such a manner, given most administration level LEOs are usually derided by the rank and file.

TC215
07-12-2019, 05:21 PM
I'm not saying it's acceptable, but it could happen to anyone...All it takes is getting distracted at the wrong time. By the grace of God it hasn't happened to me, but I did forget my gun in the trunk of my patrol car once years ago. I got in a hurry leaving the jail after they dispatched a hot call and forgot it. Not a good feeling when I got to the call and reached for something that wasn't there. At least it was in my trunk and not a jail locker.

0ddl0t
07-12-2019, 05:21 PM
FYI
Laramie/male/2005/emailed the entire dept re what he did an wrote himself a reprimand
https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/laramie-police-chief-leaves-loaded-gun-in-restaurant-bathroom/article_ca467457-aa11-59bc-a231-d55d12be780d.html

Prescott Valley/male/2017/apparently did not notice he left in the bathroom for 4 days.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-breaking/2017/11/20/prescott-police-chiefs-gun-missing-after-he-left-library-bathroom/882646001/

Oak Harbor/male/2016/ultimately resigned/it was reported he had time with the LAPD Gang Unit, 30 year cop.
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/oak-harbor-police-chief-who-left-gun-in-restroom-resigns/

Thanks. Here was the one from Dayton/ Wright State University:
https://www.journal-news.com/news/local/wright-state-police-chief-relieved-duties/eWDcyFXO6Y8vtClWaT615K/
2012/male/Chief "disciplined" himself with 4 hours of firearms training (training = punishment?). He wound up being fired a year latter for a pattern of misconduct.

HCountyGuy
07-12-2019, 05:22 PM
Looks like she’s getting her gun back. (https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-san-luis-obispo-police-chiefs-gun-20190712-story.html)

SeriousStudent
07-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Looks like she’s getting her gun back. (https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-san-luis-obispo-police-chiefs-gun-20190712-story.html)

I'm glad to hear that. Stolen guns scare the poop out of me.

HCM
07-12-2019, 06:33 PM
what's a lesbian look like?

That was kinda my point along with what's a liberal look like ?

I will say the personally accountability she displays in her video is not usually associated with modern liberal ideology.

To be a Chief anywhere now a days you check certain boxes -those things may be a personal passion or they may be just going through the motions to check the box.

CWM11B
07-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Okay, tracking. Read a bit off to me, but I've had a really shitty day, so I'll right it off as brain fog.

Borderland
07-12-2019, 09:15 PM
I was not aware of that detail of that incident..

There wasn't a lot of coverage of that particular detail because these counties north of Seattle are blue. Most everyone gave the sheriff a pass and he finished up his term last Nov and retired. Good thing because he wouldn't have been re elected.

https://komonews.com/news/local/island-county-sheriff-was-inside-mall-during-shooting-without-a-gun

vcdgrips
07-13-2019, 10:35 AM
IMHO, the Chief putting herself on front street within a few hours of the incident, owning it completely and getting the info out there via social media went very far in getting that gun back with no other issues. Sour Lemonade out of lemons if you ask me.

I am not surprised that we have an anecdotal report that she was a good cop back in the day. Seriously, when is the last time you say any public official apologize that quickly and completely about anything?

AMC
07-13-2019, 11:56 AM
There was talk of this incident in my shop the other day. Most shook their head at the unfortunate commoness of the incident, especially among command level folks. It has definitely been my experience over 28 years that most of them are just as dangerous to themselves and other officers with a firearm as they would be to a suspect. That said, what stood out was that she carried a gun off-duty at all...and a personal gun. Everyone also agreed that she owned it pretty well. Don't see that too much anymore.

On Chief Heather Fong.....knew her well. Very nice lady in general
Very sharp academically. Absolutely no business being a police officer, much less chief. Never actually did the job, never made an arrest on the street. Career Admin type. She was the last one standing after DA Hallinans loony indictment of the entire command staff. And she did as she was told. It was actually more than five years that she failed to qualify....and she argued to the commission that the chiefs job is Administrative, so she doesn't need a gun anyway.

paherne
07-13-2019, 02:23 PM
On Chief Heather Fong.....knew her well. Very nice lady in general
Very sharp academically. Absolutely no business being a police officer, much less chief. Never actually did the job, never made an arrest on the street. Career Admin type. She was the last one standing after DA Hallinans loony indictment of the entire command staff. And she did as she was told. It was actually more than five years that she failed to qualify....and she argued to the commission that the chiefs job is Administrative, so she doesn't need a gun anyway.

I've often wondered if this was the reason Rod left the Rangemaster job. Talk about stress for just trying to do your job within the law.

scw2
07-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Alleged cover up... Claims that the chief investigated the lost gun without reporting it and lied about it... raided the wrong guy's house, arresting him and his wife and taking their kids, then lied about that too.

Anyone hearing anything about whether the claims in this article are true? Kind of mind boggling if so...

https://calcoastnews.com/2019/07/san-luis-obispo-police-chief-accused-of-coverup-over-stolen-gun/

HCountyGuy
07-25-2019, 08:49 PM
Alleged cover up... Claims that the chief investigated the lost gun without reporting it and lied about it... raided the wrong guy's house, arresting him and his wife and taking their kids, then lied about that too.

Anyone hearing anything about whether the claims in this article are true? Kind of mind boggling if so...

https://calcoastnews.com/2019/07/san-luis-obispo-police-chief-accused-of-coverup-over-stolen-gun/

What
The
Fuck
?

0ddl0t
07-25-2019, 10:39 PM
Wow. just wow

Cypher
07-25-2019, 11:30 PM
Somebody is going to be a millionaire. And if they have any brains they'll use that money to get out in California

HCM
07-25-2019, 11:31 PM
If even half of that is true, it is yet another example of the cover up being worse than the crime.

Elkhitman
07-26-2019, 07:26 AM
Elkhitman- Perhaps a bit unfair. What firsthand knowledge do you have regarding her police career at SLO or at the Mesa PD (she did 21 years with Mesa PD before this job)?

Your speculation is akin to the speculation that despite your username, you are not nearly the hunter you think you are. But I do not know you from Adam, so I could be completely off base. I really don't know anything about your hunting acumen at all.

Did you watch her facebook apology?

Clearly:

1. She did something really stupid
2. She recognized it within minutes and was back in the restaurant before 2 of the three people that went into the restroom after her had even left the building
3. She made and unequivocal and public apology the same day acknowledging that she made a mistake and that she will be held accountable.

Again, she did something really stupid and there should be a penalty for such conduct. I only wish others in public life would be so transparent in their professional transgressions and own their behavior.

Contrast her statement with FORMER Sec Acosta statement earlier this week re why he executed a Non Pros Agreement w Epstein. He would still be Secretary today is he had said:

1. I am sorry. I made a bad deal with people who worked at my old firm. In retrospect, I allowed myself to be outlawyered by more experienced defense attys instead of fully considering the input I was getting from career FBI and prosecutors in my office.
2. If I had it to do over again, I would not make the same mistake, I would have moved forward with the case in a more traditional way that would have to a presentation to the federal grand jury or until the career people in my office and at Main Justice concluded that the case was so deficient that it should not be brought.
3. To the victims, I am profoundly sorry and to those who have not come forward because of my conduct, please reconsider-here is a 1-800 number to call the FBI etc.

FYI

Appears she did something even stupider now.

Hambo
07-26-2019, 07:51 AM
If even half of that is true, it is yet another example of the cover up being worse than the crime.

It certainly could be that. Or it could be the mafia-esque interaction of command staff hoping to bump off the boss.

Lex Luthier
07-26-2019, 07:57 AM
It certainly could be that. Or it could be the mafia-esque interaction of command staff hoping to bump off the boss.

Wow, I had not considered that possible angle. If that was the case, they did a terrible job, though.

LittleLebowski
07-26-2019, 01:27 PM
More to the story.

Totem Polar
07-26-2019, 01:36 PM
Does SLO issue Pmags? I keep seeing "with a 21-round magazine" (horrors! 50 percent of the CA coastline faints in shock...)
Trivial, I know, but it jumped out at me.

Anyone know?

AMC
07-26-2019, 02:26 PM
It's not really clear from the story that the Chief was directing the actions of those detectives. Could be....or it could be overzealous incompetence on the part of someone trying to curry favor with the boss. Too long a delay in the BOLO...but that's not uncommon. I agree that family just won the lottery, though.

Cypher
07-26-2019, 04:14 PM
I question the cover up story because I'm only seeing it one place and I'm not familiar with the source.

While I was researching I found out they docked her 2 days pay (apparently she makes 800 bucks a day)

BillSWPA
07-26-2019, 10:04 PM
It's not really clear from the story that the Chief was directing the actions of those detectives. Could be....or it could be overzealous incompetence on the part of someone trying to curry favor with the boss. Too long a delay in the BOLO...but that's not uncommon. I agree that family just won the lottery, though.

Just won the lottery fails to take into account what is involved in filing and pursuing the lawsuit, as well as the fact that damages will be proportional to the harm. That family will - and should - get a bunch of money in a settlement from the department’s insurance carrier. However, I would still not want my family to have to go through that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk